PDA

View Full Version : Davis Cup - GB v France

Sir David Gray
16-07-2015, 10:34 PM
Great Britain is in quarter final action this weekend against France, with the tie being held at Queen's Club.

Tomorrow's singles matches are;

James Ward v Gilles Simon
Andy Murray v Jo-Wilfried Tsonga

It will be a really tough tie for Britain to win, with both French players ranked just outside the top 10 in the world. However Andy Murray is still the best player that either country has to offer so if he can win both of his singles matches then it means Britain needs just one other win from either the doubles on Saturday or one of James Ward's singles matches.

Should be an exciting weekend.

Danderhall Hibs
17-07-2015, 06:36 AM
Trig does playing on grass suit us more than them? I'd imagine it does - Ward's pulled a couple of decent results out at Queens in the past.

Sir David Gray
17-07-2015, 09:46 PM
It's 1-1 after day one of the tie after both matches went according to plan.

Gilles Simon beat James Ward in straight sets before Andy Murray beat Jo-Wilfried Tsonga.

The tie will probably boil down to the doubles tomorrow. Leon Smith has a big decision to make as to whether or not he plays Andy Murray with his brother, Jamie. Whoever wins tomorrow will undoubtedly win the tie so it will be interesting to see what happens.

Trig does playing on grass suit us more than them? I'd imagine it does - Ward's pulled a couple of decent results out at Queens in the past.

I'm not so sure to be honest.

In Gilles Simon and Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, France have two players ranked inside the top 15 in the world and Nicolas Mahut is ranked just outside the top 20 in the doubles world rankings so I don't think it gives us much of an advantage.

In terms of the record that all the players have on grass, I don't think there's much in it. Andy Murray's record on grass speaks for itself. Gilles Simon got to the semis at Queen's last month and Nicolas Mahut won the doubles competition. Richard Gasquet got to the Wimbledon semis and Gilles Simon got to the quarter finals.

I think all the French players are fairly comfortable on grass and they really should win the tie if I'm being honest.

Frazerbob
18-07-2015, 12:20 PM
Is there a rule in doubles tennis that players must touch hands after every single point?

liamh2202
18-07-2015, 02:10 PM
This is what a modern tennis atmosphere should be like...

Sylar
18-07-2015, 04:06 PM
This is what a modern tennis atmosphere should be like...

Opinions, eh? I turned it off because it was doing my head in!

Speedy
18-07-2015, 04:20 PM
How is it decided who is home and who is away?

Where will the next tie be if they win?

Ryan91
18-07-2015, 05:17 PM
How is it decided who is home and who is away?

Where will the next tie be if they win?

Next tie is a home one against winner between Australia and Kazakhstan

Speedy
18-07-2015, 07:54 PM
Next tie is a home one against winner between Australia and Kazakhstan

Thanks.

Do you know how it's decided that we're at home?

Edit: Just found it - "If a nation had home advantage last time then it will be away next time, and vice versa. If the nations have never previously met, or if they faced each other at a neutral venue, then the choice of ground is decided by lot."

http://www.daviscup.com/itf/cup/shared/pdfs/dc/cog_2015_wg.pdf

Looks like we'll be at home to Australia but Kazakhstan would be drawn lots.

Ryan91
18-07-2015, 09:13 PM
Thanks.

Edit: Just found it - "If a nation had home advantage last time then it will be away next time, and vice versa. If the nations have never previously met, or if they faced each other at a neutral venue, then the choice of ground is decided by lot."

I think the Lots may have already been drawn for the next round as France have never played Kazakhstan in Davis Cup, I'm sure I heard them mention it on the BBC yesterday when I was watching the Murray match, though I could be mistaken.

Speedy
18-07-2015, 10:03 PM
I think the Lots may have already been drawn for the next round as France have never played Kazakhstan in Davis Cup, I'm sure I heard them mention it on the BBC yesterday when I was watching the Murray match, though I could be mistaken.

Aye, you could well be right.

It's a funny system, going back to 1970 in some cases to determine where it's played :greengrin

Sir David Gray
19-07-2015, 11:19 AM
Thanks.

Britain will be at home regardless of whether it's against Australia or Kazakhstan.

GB got a great result yesterday and I can't honestly see Murray losing to Simon today so it looks like we'll be in the semis. :thumbsup:

Sir David Gray
19-07-2015, 11:24 AM
Just noticed that it would be Australia we would play next as they came back from 2-0 down to win 3-2 against Kazakhstan after Lleyton Hewitt was called up to play the final rubber and he won in straight sets.

I would quite fancy going to see that tie since Hewitt is due to retire after next year's Australian Open.

Sir David Gray
19-07-2015, 11:37 AM
Tennis just about to start on BBC 2 or Eurosport 2 if that's your preference.

Murray v Simon up first, come on Andy! :aok:

Sir David Gray
19-07-2015, 12:31 PM
First set to France, 6-4.

Simon was struggling for a while after landing awkwardly after a fall but he appears to be ok now.

Sir David Gray
19-07-2015, 12:36 PM
Simon breaks serve at the beginning of the second set.

It wasn't supposed to go like this!

Speedy
19-07-2015, 12:40 PM
Simon breaks serve at the beginning of the second set.

It wasn't supposed to go like this!

Murray beating himself.

Sir David Gray
19-07-2015, 12:42 PM
Murray beating himself.

Yep, he hasn't looked comfortable since the beginning of the match and seems to be letting things bother him.

stoneyburn hibs
19-07-2015, 12:46 PM
This is the start of the comeback for AM.

Sir David Gray
19-07-2015, 01:01 PM
It's looking like the tie will be going to France.

Murray just looks knackered and if he does lose, I can't see James Ward beating Tsonga.

Sir David Gray
19-07-2015, 01:18 PM
Murray's back in the match as he gets the break back.

4-4 in the second set.

Sir David Gray
19-07-2015, 01:23 PM
Brilliant hold by Murray from 0-30 down.

Three games in a row for Murray now.

Sir David Gray
19-07-2015, 01:46 PM
Murray levels it up at one set all after taking the second set on a tiebreak after being 4-1 down in it.

Come on, let's do this.

Sir David Gray
19-07-2015, 01:59 PM
Murray moves ahead for the first time since the first game of the match after breaking at the start of the third set and then holds his own serve.

2-0 to GB.

Sir David Gray
19-07-2015, 02:34 PM
Murray takes the third set 6-3.

One set away from taking GB into the semis.

Sir David Gray
19-07-2015, 03:10 PM
Murray wins 4-6 7-6 6-3 6-0 and GB are into the semi finals of the Davis Cup.

It was an unfortunate ending to the match though as Simon injured himself again and was clearly struggling with his movement in that final set.

Britain now face Australia at home in the last four in September.

You really run of out of superlatives to describe Andy Murray, what a fantastic athlete he is.

Jack
19-07-2015, 03:35 PM
As bad/good as watching Hibs!

I'm knackered!!