PDA

View Full Version : It's all gone a wee bit quiet..............

lyonhibs
15-07-2015, 10:14 AM
on the transfer front, or is it just me?? The real business starts in about 3 weeks, and we're still short of a first team squad player or 3 IMO.

I know Hibs keep their cards predominantely close to their chests and the right people are probably scuttling around trying to get deals done behind the scenes but - as we know from experience - players picked up a day or 2 before the transfer window "slams shut" are usually mediocre at best and/or take a number of weeks to get integrated into the squad and up to match-fitness.

We need to hit the ground running, beat Rangers away on August 22nd and never look back. No fannying about, there's now no reason or excuse why we shouldn't do what Hearts did last year - or close to it - and comfortably skoosh this league, albeit probably with a couple of traditional Hibs cock-ups along the way.

I hope we have the 1st team squad - both in terms of starting XI quality and strength in depth - to do that but with our chronic luck with injuries/niggles seemingly already rearing its head, I'm a mite concerned we currently don't.

Or am I being a fanny? :greengrin

GreenArmyyy!
15-07-2015, 10:19 AM
We are still lacking a player or two but have a hell of a start on Rangers, we will be fine come the start of the season IMO.

nellio
15-07-2015, 10:23 AM
I think that we're only after a defensive mid player now so not likley to hear a lot as were only after one more player really.

Thecat23
15-07-2015, 10:27 AM
I expect 2 more to come in! Both Midfielders. Holt development fee may have stopped that deal. But I'm more than sure Hibs will be speaking to a number of players about signing!

dunedinhibs
15-07-2015, 10:38 AM
Anyone know if were still trying to get kiss or was there nothing in it?

Brightside
15-07-2015, 10:39 AM
Yep 2 more max. DM and one all rounder.

My_Wife_Camille
15-07-2015, 10:53 AM
Anyone know if were still trying to get kiss or was there nothing in it?
He's talking to Us, Motherwell and Hearts. Was due to train with us but heard his agent pulled him out while he talks to other clubs.

GlasgowHibee
15-07-2015, 10:58 AM
quality not quantity. :greengrin

jacomo
15-07-2015, 11:04 AM
Yep 2 more max. DM and one all rounder.

Has Keith Watson signed? Did I miss this?

Regardless, seems clear that the two lads coming through as full backs (Crane and Dunsmore?) will play a part.

And tough on Danny Handling if he has picked up an injury.

Andy74
15-07-2015, 11:10 AM
We need a minimum of three to get to where we were.

I'd be happier with one or two more though. We were left very short at times last year and I'm not sure the younger players can be expected to be any more ready than they were a few weeks ago.

Robertson and McGeough were both pretty key players who played when they were available. I think their loss to the squad shouldn't be underestimated.

Ozyhibby
15-07-2015, 11:20 AM

I'd be happier with one or two more though. We were left very short at times last year and I'm not sure the younger players can be expected to be any more ready than they were a few weeks ago.

Robertson and McGeough were both pretty key players who played when they were available. I think their loss to the squad shouldn't be underestimated.

You can add Liam Craig to that as well. Whatever his failings, Stubbs rated him higher than Handling, Stanton and Harris. We need three new signings imo, especially if Handling is out for a while.
Right now we are short of a team never mind a squad.
I'm sure Hibs know this so I'm not panicking, yet.

Smartie
15-07-2015, 11:22 AM

Whilst they were, I still think there was something not quite right about the midfield at times. The fact that we leaked the odd silly goal wasn't just down to the defence and the fact that we failed to break teams down wasn't just down to the strikers. Allan and Fyvie were the main men and we've held onto them. Whilst Robertson and McGeoch were both good players and contributed a lot (as did Liam Craig who we have also lost), you can't just go again with the same players and expect something different to happen. That means that you sometimes have to sacrifice players that you like or get rid of folk who have done quite well for you in the hope that someone else coming in does better and adds a bit more to the "blend".

I do think we're a couple short, especially now it looks like Danny Handling has been cruelly denied his opportunity to stake a claim.

Andy74
15-07-2015, 11:28 AM
Whilst they were, I still think there was something not quite right about the midfield at times. The fact that we leaked the odd silly goal wasn't just down to the defence and the fact that we failed to break teams down wasn't just down to the strikers. Allan and Fyvie were the main men and we've held onto them. Whilst Robertson and McGeoch were both good players and contributed a lot (as did Liam Craig who we have also lost), you can't just go again with the same players and expect something different to happen. That means that you sometimes have to sacrifice players that you like or get rid of folk who have done quite well for you in the hope that someone else coming in does better and adds a bit more to the "blend".

I do think we're a couple short, especially now it looks like Danny Handling has been cruelly denied his opportunity to stake a claim.

Agree with all that. Maybe different bodies but bodies required all the same just now. We've got a bit of time though.

Billy Whizz
15-07-2015, 11:42 AM
Agree with all that. Maybe different bodies but bodies required all the same just now. We've got a bit of time though.

Have we got time Andy, this place will go into meltdown if we were to lose against Rangers a week on Saturday. It's a shame we've drawn them, could have done with a nice wee easy fixture, particularly with all the injuries/unfit players we have at the moment

Lucius Apuleius
15-07-2015, 11:46 AM
on the transfer front, or is it just me?? The real business starts in about 3 weeks, and we're still short of a first team squad player or 3 IMO.

I know Hibs keep their cards predominantely close to their chests and the right people are probably scuttling around trying to get deals done behind the scenes but - as we know from experience - players picked up a day or 2 before the transfer window "slams shut" are usually mediocre at best and/or take a number of weeks to get integrated into the squad and up to match-fitness.

We need to hit the ground running, beat Rangers away on August 22nd and never look back. No fannying about, there's now no reason or excuse why we shouldn't do what Hearts did last year - or close to it - and comfortably skoosh this league, albeit probably with a couple of traditional Hibs cock-ups along the way.

I hope we have the 1st team squad - both in terms of starting XI quality and strength in depth - to do that but with our chronic luck with injuries/niggles seemingly already rearing its head, I'm a mite concerned we currently don't.

Chatte. :greengrin

green day
15-07-2015, 11:47 AM
Have we got time Andy, this place will go into meltdown if we were to lose against Rangers a week on Saturday. It's a shame we've drawn them, could have done with a nice wee easy fixture, particularly with all the injuries/unfit players we have at the moment

I dunno about that - I dont give monkeys about that cup, only interested in the league this year and gaining more points over the season than Sevco - We can field the dev squad for the Petrofac as far as I am concerned.

Only my opinion, but doubt I am the only one.

Smartie
15-07-2015, 11:58 AM

It's a pretty meaningless competition so it is a tie I think we can afford to lose.

It doesn't matter what the result is, we'll learn a lot about our players in that game. Even if we don't add to our squad we have Stanton and Martin who are midfielders, Stevenson has played there in the past, maybe Carmichael can play as an advanced central midfielder. Handling's injury might not be as bad as has been feared.

The whole squad needs tested in big games and the The Rangers game is now a big game. If we lose or the fringe players don't contribute then we know we need to add to our squad. If they step up to the plate then if they can do it in a cup tie against The Rangers then they should be up to doing it against everyone in the league this season. We'll learn more about our players playing in a cup tie with a big crowd behind us at home than we would ramming 7 past a bunch of part-timers in an echoey, empty stadium. I think it is a great draw and exactly what we would have wanted to prepare us for the league season which is what it is all about this year.

I would like to see at least a one central midfielder being brought in though.

NAE NOOKIE
15-07-2015, 12:08 PM
You can add Liam Craig to that as well. Whatever his failings, Stubbs rated him higher than Handling, Stanton and Harris. We need three new signings imo, especially if Handling is out for a while.
Right now we are short of a team never mind a squad.
I'm sure Hibs know this so I'm not panicking, yet.

This for me too. McGeough, Robertson and Craig were all players who contributed last season, especially Robertson whose efforts were undervalued IMO .... none of them were irreplaceable players, but as far as I can see as yet they haven't been replaced ..... I will bow to the greater knowledge of those who watch the development squad as to whether any of the midfielders can step up ... but if not we really do need to sign at least one decent midfielder before the season proper starts, especially in view of what could be a long term injury to the unfortunate Danny Handling.

Ozyhibby
15-07-2015, 12:25 PM
I dunno about that - I dont give monkeys about that cup, only interested in the league this year and gaining more points over the season than Sevco - We can field the dev squad for the Petrofac as far as I am concerned.

I agree to a point, I don't give a hoot about the cups this year either but a win over Sevco in the Petrie cup gives us a chance to put early pressure on their new manager, the board, players etc. which could affect their league form.

bill the hibby
15-07-2015, 12:34 PM
Stubbs said in his interview that he knows he still has a couple of things still to do so I think he knows we still need another couple, which is good news. I think we'll get it done before the season starts

BOB MARLEYS DUG
15-07-2015, 12:36 PM
Hopefully we are still trying to get McGeouch back.

Lucius Apuleius
15-07-2015, 12:52 PM
I agree to a point, I don't give a hoot about the cups this year either but a win over Sevco in the Petrie cup gives us a chance to put early pressure on their new manager, the board, players etc. which could affect their league form.

:confused:

J-C
15-07-2015, 01:11 PM
We still need 2 more fairly experienced midfielders, Handling and Stanton have been to told either shape up or ship out, basically a kick up the bum for motivation but they are not the answer as I still feel they are still too inconsistent to push us further, would love them to prove me wrong. Young Scott Martin looks and sounds like a prospect but he's still a lad with a lot of learning to do, so we need experienced midfielders brought in, yes we've lost 3 this season but as good as Robertson did, a holding midfielder he was not and McGeouch is too similar to Allan and Fyvie but not nearly as good as them, we need someone different.

tamig
15-07-2015, 01:20 PM

You asked the question, so I'll answer. Fanny. 😊

I trust Stubbs totally and he's not daft. We'll get the players we need in time for the big kick off. I wish folk would stop worrying.

Ozyhibby
15-07-2015, 01:44 PM
You asked the question, so I'll answer. Fanny. [emoji4]

I trust Stubbs totally and he's not daft. We'll get the players we need in time for the big kick off. I wish folk would stop worrying.

If we ever stop worrying, the club have got a problem. :-)

tamig
15-07-2015, 01:54 PM
If we ever stop worrying, the club have got a problem. :-)

Indeed. And half the regulars on this board would disappear!

essexhibee
15-07-2015, 09:24 PM
Stubbs will have it sorted got total confidence in that.

Sir David Gray
15-07-2015, 09:29 PM
Certainly not worried at the moment but we definitely need at least three first team players to come in.

We're still short in defence and in midfield.

lord bunberry
16-07-2015, 01:47 AM
It has to be remembered that we're still 3 1/2 weeks away from the start of the league season. It's a bit of a pain that we've drawn the huns in the challenge cup as we would have been looking to coast through that and the first round of the league cup.

Ronniekirk
16-07-2015, 07:13 AM
Certainly not worried at the moment but we definitely need at least three first team players to come in.

We're still short in defence and in midfield.

The last interview I saw Stubbs do he was clear we still need to bring three players in ,and am sure he said he didn't need to move players on to do that ,as there was flexibility .Kieth Watson was clearly one of those three ,and as far as I know he is still with us but injured ,so you have to assume that he would like that deal to be done ,but given he was out injured at end of last season ,he needs to prove his fitness .
He also is on record as saying he hasn't given up on McGeoch yet ,and he is still at Celtoc , and not playing ,so assume available ,but clearly we can't just wait and expect that one to happen ,so Stubbs will be looking at other players as contingency if that one falls through .
He has also said he needs a midfielder with a bit of steel ,but who can break up play ,win the ball back ,and make a pass ,so I think that's the type of player he had hoped to bring in by now ,but he also said he was prepared to be patient to get the right type of player.
He then indicated that to fill up the squad there would need to be movement ,so I expect some players to either go out on loan or maybe one of the younger players with first team experience to move on .Whether the injury to Handling if long term ,prevents that is now open to question
If Keatings and Dan can't get game time in before the Rangers game because of injury ,then both if fit by that time would need to get game time ,as would any new signing ,so think Stubbs thinking for Rangers game will be changing as the next week progresses ,although the team that started against Berwick ,as Billy whizz pointed out ,might not be far off his starting 11 for that game .

Tha Cabbage Kid
16-07-2015, 11:37 AM
maybe stubbs will look to bring those midfilders threw loan signings? maybe he has a couple ear marked. but due to the other clubs still arranging their team thats why we cant take anyone yet??

Ozyhibby
16-07-2015, 11:54 AM
He said he expect a couple in the next week, I think.

patlowe
16-07-2015, 12:16 PM

It could also spur them into action and encourage them to gamble a bit more on the transfer front to ensure they finish 1st :wink:

Ozyhibby
16-07-2015, 12:22 PM
It could also spur them into action and encourage them to gamble a bit more on the transfer front to ensure they finish 1st :wink:

I don't think they have the money. Previously, the old club gambled by borrowing of the crooks at hbos and then shifting the debt to MIM and then never paying it back. You and I covered the losses.
That option is not open to the new club.
They can only spend ticket income, as they have sold all their other income streams. They also have MA asking them for £5m.

jacomo
16-07-2015, 01:19 PM
I don't think they have the money. Previously, the old club gambled by borrowing of the crooks at hbos and then shifting the debt to MIM and then never paying it back. You and I covered the losses.
That option is not open to the new club.
They can only spend ticket income, as they have sold all their other income streams. They also have MA asking them for £5m.

But but the King said he'd 'over invest'!

Surely he's not being one of those glib and shameless liars you sometimes hear about??

silverhibee
16-07-2015, 02:49 PM

That may be your thoughts but I'm pretty sure our management team and players will want to win this game to go in to winning ways for the season ahead, Stubbs will have his strongest team out for this game.

ancient hibee
16-07-2015, 06:14 PM
I'm sure Stubbs will want to win this game and start a few seeds of doubt in their minds.If we don't I'm sure he'll say that these sort of games are good to bring fitness up but don't mean much.

BSEJVT
17-07-2015, 02:47 PM

You don't half spout some utter pish about Bank's!

I take it you aren't aware the Government will make a profit on its Lloyds Shares and a substantial one at that?

lyonhibs
17-07-2015, 05:16 PM
After today's signing clearly in reaction to this thread, Alan, if you're reading, I remain REALLY worried (but another new signing or 2 will settle my nerves quite nicely........)

Aldo
17-07-2015, 05:21 PM
Good start is very very important IMHO.

Cup or no cup setting out our stall very early against Der hun is of the upmost importance to me.

I want us to win every game this season (like every) and hopefully we will have a bit more cutting edge this season.

No excuses. Go out next Sat and start as we mean to go on.

I will say this. If Der hun had the money they would of had no problems signing 'Big Named' players.

This won't happen.

jacomo
17-07-2015, 05:36 PM
You don't half spout some utter pish about Bank's!

I take it you aren't aware the Government will make a profit on its Lloyds Shares and a substantial one at that?

Right. Are you factoring in QE as well? The £300bn slush fund that enabled the banks to get back on their feet and has helped to create another asset price bubble?

Bankers look to be pretty rosy again these days while millions of people graft for little reward.

BSEJVT
17-07-2015, 10:36 PM
Right. Are you factoring in QE as well? The £300bn slush fund that enabled the banks to get back on their feet and has helped to create another asset price bubble?

Bankers look to be pretty rosy again these days while millions of people graft for little reward.

Really, that will be the bond bubble that's been 30 years in the building?

That will also be the QE that most of the other developed countries in the world have also undertaken

Were they all lending Rangers money?

lyonhibs
23-07-2015, 01:06 PM
Hmmmm, I started this thread partly in jest.

Now I'm not so sure. At least 2 in with no first teamers out in the next week or so required.

If I'm being greedy, no 6 month loans either.

Keith_M
23-07-2015, 01:13 PM
What has the Bank Bailout got to do with Hibs signing new players?

Isn't it amazing how much of a tangent the threads on here can go

:greengrin