PDA

View Full Version : Jim Spence leaving the BBC on Friday..

s.a.m
14-07-2015, 08:24 AM
Shame that. I like him.
Anyone know the story / what he's going to do?

Lago
14-07-2015, 08:25 AM
Shame that. I like him.
Agree, always enjoy listening to his reports

CallumLaidlaw
14-07-2015, 08:41 AM
Agree, always enjoy listening to his reports

Never mind eh, will give more on air time for Chic Young :rolleyes:

Thank god for the podcasts available like Monday Night Fitba, The Terrace and The Burst Baw for me to get a much more interesting fix of Scottish football, and then Hibs TV for radio coverage when I can't get to an away game.

ronaldo7
14-07-2015, 08:59 AM
Shame that. I like him.

He says he's getting re acquainted with his running shoes, Guinness, and his wife, although not it any particular order.:greengrin

Winston Ingram
14-07-2015, 09:02 AM
No doubt replaced by some more old firm friendly ramjet...

SON OF PADDY
14-07-2015, 09:15 AM
Jim Spence was by far the best reporter on the BBC !!
Best of luck to him in the future.👏

Weststandwanab
14-07-2015, 09:17 AM
I am very sorry to read that as I enjoyed the manner, content and accuracy of his various comments over the years.

I hope Mr. Spence is not lost to Broadcasting.

stoneyburn hibs
14-07-2015, 09:19 AM

More than likely. He is one of only a few decent pundits on the BBC Scotland Saturday team.

Diclonius
14-07-2015, 09:22 AM
Never mind eh, will give more on air time for Chic Young :rolleyes:

Chick Young will be retiring after Euro 2016.

CallumLaidlaw
14-07-2015, 09:29 AM

NOW you've cheered me up :aok:

Billy Whizz
14-07-2015, 09:47 AM
Shame that. I like him.

No idea the reason behind it, but Baldy Foghorn will be gutted😀

Mikey09
14-07-2015, 11:11 AM

Now the Famous are "back where they belong" I would imagine we'll get another one of those welts... Good luck to Jim Spence. Excellent reporter and can't really remember him bowing to the old firm bias on that pathetic show that is Sportsound.

Springbank
14-07-2015, 11:25 AM

This will go against the grain for many but I take people as I find them and last season, when our son was mascot in a big game at Er, chic young was the pitchside reporter and he could not have done more to make us or the wee man feel special.

He went out his way to do a mock interview then set up a "man of the Match" champagne presentation where the TV crew spontaneously presented the wee man with the MoM champers with the Hibs logo in the backdrop.

He may have a charge sheet that is years long in other people's eyes, no argument there, but he came across to us as a guy who cares about Scottish football first and foremost

Ps on topic sorry to see spence go too!

tamig
14-07-2015, 11:26 AM
Now the Famous are "back where they belong" I would imagine we'll get another one of those welts... Good luck to Jim Spence. Excellent reporter and can't really remember him bowing to the old firm bias on that pathetic show that is Sportsound.

Jim Spence was actually threatened by the hun hordes after he basically said they deserved to start at the bottom iirc. He's an excellent journalist and will leave that programme well short. Only Tom English and Graham Spiers give the show any credibility - but I appreciate even they aren't everyone's cup of tea. Is Jim Spence not a lecturer as well as a broadcaster?

robinp
14-07-2015, 11:30 AM
This will go against the grain for many but I take people as I find them and last season, when our son was mascot in a big game at Er, chic young was the pitchside reporter and he could not have done more to make us or the wee man feel special.

He went out his way to do a mock interview then set up a "man of the Match" champagne presentation where the TV crew spontaneously presented the wee man with the MoM champers with the Hibs logo in the backdrop.

He may have a charge sheet that is years long in other people's eyes, no argument there, but he came across to us as a guy who cares about Scottish football first and foremost

I don't mind Chic Young, I like to think of him as the village idiot who nobody takes seriously at all.

Spence is great, big loss to the BBC. His passion for the Dundee and other non Old Firm clubs in Scotland will be sadly missed.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
14-07-2015, 11:33 AM
Sorry to see Spencey go, seemed like one of the few good lads on the BBC.

ALF TUPPER
14-07-2015, 12:54 PM
Yeah i liked listening to Spency.
Probably decided that the grief he got from John Brown and Dundee followers wasnt worth the grief

Good luck to him

southsider
14-07-2015, 01:02 PM
Absolute stick on we get another hertz loving dork who thinks the sun shines out from their thieving *****.

Mikey09
14-07-2015, 02:24 PM
Jim Spence was actually threatened by the hun hordes after he basically said they deserved to start at the bottom iirc. He's an excellent journalist and will leave that programme well short. Only Tom English and Graham Spiers give the show any credibility - but I appreciate even they aren't everyone's cup of tea. Is Jim Spence not a lecturer as well as a broadcaster?

Who have the Hun hoards not threatened?! Agree with everything you say. I think Jim has a Law degree and may well be a lecturer tamig. He will defiantly be missed that's for sure.

California-Hibs
14-07-2015, 03:25 PM
Pretty gutted about this. Jim Spence was supeb to listen too. Wish him all the best. He'll be missed big time on Sportsound, talked a lot of sense and always gave some good insights.

Nutmegged
14-07-2015, 03:37 PM

I've met Chic a few times and thats him all over the back, thats his best and his worst quality if that makes sense, first time I met him was about 20 years ago when he was at the peak of his Only An Excuse fame, we were playing in a 13s Charity tournament which was a warm up for the Main Event which was his team Dukla Pumpherson - he'll go out of his way to make a random (in this case your son) feel likrle a Superstar for the day like he did with us and told us all he'd be interviewing us all for real one day...in the csse of my mate he did... Wullie Haining went down to Oldham then came up to St Mirren, (Chic finally got his man) BUT and this is crucial to the opinion of him as a broadcaster IMO he also wants to be everyones pal and you just aren't going to dig deep into issues if you are worried about upsetting your pal.

I like Chic Young and think he has a place in Scottish Football because you can tell he is passionate about it but give me a thousand Jim Spence' before him everyday of the week

Smartie
14-07-2015, 03:51 PM
I like both Chick Young and Jim Spence and they'll both be a massive loss to the BBC.

BBC Scotland's radio football coverage used to be top-notch. The commentators Alastair Alexander and David Begg were both class and the pundits were all excellent. I used to love it when you'd get the last 5 minutes of the first half real match commentary then the whole second half, listened to it every week before I was able to go to games myself.

It is sad to hear it decline so far. Open all mics, Allan Preston etc are almost unbearable and it will be far worse without Spence and Chick.

You never know, they might get new blood in, they might get some more funding to provide better commentary packages and get back to where they were. But somehow I doubt it.

KWJ
14-07-2015, 07:45 PM
I've met Chic a few times and thats him all over the back, thats his best and his worst quality if that makes sense, first time I met him was about 20 years ago when he was at the peak of his Only An Excuse fame, we were playing in a 13s Charity tournament which was a warm up for the Main Event which was his team Dukla Pumpherson - he'll go out of his way to make a random (in this case your son) feel likrle a Superstar for the day like he did with us and told us all he'd be interviewing us all for real one day...in the csse of my mate he did... Wullie Haining went down to Oldham then came up to St Mirren, (Chic finally got his man) BUT and this is crucial to the opinion of him as a broadcaster IMO he also wants to be everyones pal and you just aren't going to dig deep into issues if you are worried about upsetting your pal.

I like Chic Young and think he has a place in Scottish Football because you can tell he is passionate about it but give me a thousand Jim Spence' before him everyday of the week

Is Haining still going out with thon tidy lassie, was it Michelle Marsh? Think it was Haining.

EDIT - And yeah, I agree with your post :thumbsup:

Gets a bit sickly at times does Chicko but I don't think anybody can doubt his passion for Scottish fitbaw. Jim just seems like an all round good chap who does what he can for the Non OF teams, particularly those in Dundee. Great listen.

Also enjoy Richard Gordon, although his non live commentary on the Athens game was pish! Tough to do it alone mind.

Jonnyboy
14-07-2015, 10:31 PM
Sorry to hear Jim is leaving the Beeb. Got to know him when I worked on Hibs TV and he's a top bloke with his roots firmly in the tangerine part of Dundee. I wish him well, whatever he goes on to next

givescotlandfreedom
14-07-2015, 11:37 PM
Jim Spence is one of the better folks in the media. Always has a chat with the away support at Tannadice or Dens too. Thankfully Traynor didn't.

snooky
15-07-2015, 12:43 AM
Shame that. I like him.

BBC probably let Jim Spence go because he has been exposed as having integrity.

Spoke to CY once - he was a lot taller than I expected but nevertheless still a wee Eartha Kitt.

Bay Area Hibees
15-07-2015, 04:12 AM
Real shame.
one of first to relay grass roots fans view, legitimized fan boards that lots others have followed.

i also like chick, had real tragedy in life and real football fan.

number9dream
15-07-2015, 06:37 AM
Saying on Twitter (which he's on more than a 14 year old girl) that he's going freelance so I suspect we'll be hearing him on Sportsound again in the not too distant future.
Take the redundo package, sit on the sidelines for the statutory 3 or 6 months, then be back for one-off gigs, open all mics etc.
With Conservatives determined to dismantle BBC, the better staff will continue to jump ship, knowing they will be in demand elsewhere and returning as freelance, leaving behind the dross, who will ensure the quality of service declines.
Think Spencie might be a shout for mayor of Dundee one day. Even the dark blues like him...

oneone73
15-07-2015, 06:57 AM
Saying on Twitter (which he's on more than a 14 year old girl) that he's going freelance so I suspect we'll be hearing him on Sportsound again in the not too distant future.
Take the redundo package, sit on the sidelines for the statutory 3 or 6 months, then be back for one-off gigs, open all mics etc.
With Conservatives determined to dismantle BBC, the better staff will continue to jump ship, knowing they will be in demand elsewhere and returning as freelance, leaving behind the dross, who will ensure the quality of service declines.
Think Spencie might be a shout for mayor of Dundee one day. Even the dark blues like him...

Mayor???? Is Dundee relocating to England? I take it you mean Lord Provost.
Agree on your substantive point re the future of the BBC, btw

Del Boy
15-07-2015, 10:02 AM
Have to say he's the best reporter on sportsound. Good sense of humour and doesn't suck up to the OF.

Sportsound will be even worse next season.

NAE NOOKIE
15-07-2015, 12:34 PM
Will be sad to see him go ... any reporter who can provoke threats from the blue knuckle draggers is OK in my book. Not just that, but he is a very good reporter :agree:

As far as I can see the only addition to Scottish football broadcasting in the last few years who is worth a jot is Michael Stewart and its not outwith the bounds of possibility that he could be lost to politics.

Its hard to see where the next decent reporter / pundit will come from .... As somebody else said no doubt it will be another Yam blowhard screaming ooooooooooooooooffffffff !!! in uncontrolled excitement as their beloved charity thieves win a throw in.

Carheenlea
15-07-2015, 07:56 PM
One of the big selling points to encourage season ticket/match ticket sales should be that by heading along to ER on a regular basis you won`t be subjected to Hearts/Hun/Celtic/Aberdeen loving pundits on your tranny.

One guy I do quite enjoy listening to though is Michael Grant. He doesn`t do any punditry as such on match days, but as a midweek presenter during the season, he can conduct a sensible and reasoned discussion without the overly excitable manner of others on Radio Scotland.

Hibby Gav
17-07-2015, 11:24 AM
A little bit of fun at Jim's expense..... :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/scotland/33553474

ggtth