PDA

View Full Version : Hibs Quiz Night

Lester B
13-07-2015, 01:20 PM
Thanks to the admins, especially Pretty Boy for being my point of contact, for agreeing that I can put this up

I used to run quizzes. I’m pretty good at it which basically means I know a huge amount of trivial stuff and can frame it into questions. I’m interested in running a one off Hibs quiz night; I’ve accumulated loads of great questions already since I had the idea – I have some absolute crackers up my sleeve. The idea would be at least 60% of the questions would be Hibs related with a few classic general knowledge ones in there to warm everyone up. The winning team would of course be recognised worldwide as THE leading authority on the club we all love.

But there’s no point in me doing this without it being for a good reason so I’ve emailed Stevie from the Dnipro kids appeal and they’d be delighted to take the takings. There would be a reasonable entry charge, raffle and spot prizes, a collection, etc

Firstly I’d be really grateful for indications of how many folks would be keen to take part, either forming a team or joining one. No point in doing this if there’s no one interested. I reckon there will be but just checking. Plan would be to do it late September. Friday night? Saturday night? Let me know what you’d like

I have experience of running quizzes, more than enough great questions both Hibs related and generally and another experienced quizmaster, a recently converted Hibby having moved up here, to help me run it. I have a trusty microphone and amp and can provide all paperwork for the teams and even enough stuff for musical rounds if we want them. What I don’t have yet, and what I am asking for help with, are two things: A venue and a prize for the winning team.

To maximise the money for the charity it would be great if we could get these at minimal cost; any bar or function room should get a room full of thirsty punters for a good two and a half hours quiz plus before and after. Prize needn’t be anything big. The biggest prize is the glory of being the smartest team on all things Hibs surely!! :thumbsup:

Any and all help on these gratefully received. Any other ideas which could improve it? Let me know

PM me if you have any ideas which could help or post here

Thanks!

:flag:

CallumLaidlaw
13-07-2015, 02:56 PM
I'm sure me and my group would be up for a Hibs quiz night. I reckon after a home game would be the best bet. Might be worth speaking to Hibs to see if a function suite could be used.
Could even get a DJ or something for after the quiz

Regarding a prize, maybe also worth speaking to the club. They could maybe arrange something with it being for Dnipro Kids. Tom Zanelli would be your man. Great help at the club

SteveHFC
13-07-2015, 02:59 PM
Chatbox quiz team? :greengrin

Lester B
13-07-2015, 03:05 PM
I'm sure me and my group would be up for a Hibs quiz night. I reckon after a home game would be the best bet. Might be worth speaking to Hibs to see if a function suite could be used.
Could even get a DJ or something for after the quiz

Regarding a prize, maybe also worth speaking to the club. They could maybe arrange something with it being for Dnipro Kids. Tom Zanelli would be your man. Great help at the club

Thanks for the ideas :aok:

Pretty Boy
13-07-2015, 03:58 PM
I'd definitely be keen to come along

Lester B
13-07-2015, 04:02 PM
So 3 replies so far expressing some interest. Decent start as long as it means 3 teams and not 1!! Any more for any more? Not asking for definites yet just seeing if we have enough interest out there.

Mr White
13-07-2015, 04:05 PM
Depending when it is I'd be interested in this and know a few knowledgeable hibbies who should be up for forming a team.

edinburghhibee
13-07-2015, 04:25 PM
Depending on shifts I think I could get a team together. All for a good cause.

Brooster
13-07-2015, 04:41 PM
East Lothian Hibs Supporters Club would defo enter a team. Mid week or a Friday would suit us better.

Scouse Hibee
13-07-2015, 04:54 PM
Pretty sure I could raise a team for this. I will surround myself with experts as admittedly my Hibs knowledge is pretty poor.

oconnors_strip
13-07-2015, 05:05 PM
I would be interested and I'm sure the four in hand branch would enter a team

Could host it in the Hibs club at sunnyside for free or at easter road but they might want to charge you

Lester B
13-07-2015, 05:25 PM
Folks. Thanks for the responses so far both here and in messages. Keep them coming. Quick question (not the last) Friday or Saturday? Weekend of home game or away game?

Mr White
13-07-2015, 05:29 PM
Saturday after a home game would get my vote.

Iggy Pope
13-07-2015, 05:51 PM
I'd get a team of three or four together.
I'd recommend you get numbers limited on teams or some will turn up with a squad of 20!!!!

The Hibs Club did something like this in the mid 80s and I was part of the Hawkhill team that won it....(based more on General Knowledge mind.....my fear here would be that I don't know as much trivia about the Hibs as I think I do. There are plenty on here with massive knowledge!)

Hope you get this off the ground Lester B (Bangs?). Sounds worthwhile and the Dnipro team will offer plenty of support I'd imagine.

lord bunberry
13-07-2015, 06:00 PM
I'd get a team together. Saturday after a home game would be best for me

Lester B
13-07-2015, 06:43 PM
I'd recommend you get numbers limited on teams or some will turn up with a squad of 20!!!!

The Hibs Club did something like this in the mid 80s and I was part of the Hawkhill team that won it....(based more on General Knowledge mind.....my fear here would be that I don't know as much trivia about the Hibs as I think I do. There are plenty on here with massive knowledge!)

Hope you get this off the ground Lester B (Bangs?). Sounds worthwhile and the Dnipro team will offer plenty of support I'd imagine.

Yeah we will limit numbers. Teams with too many folk aren't necessarily smarter. They just argue more!!

And yes that's the source of the user name. Might have known someone with your user name would have twigged it!!!

Viva_Palmeiras
13-07-2015, 06:46 PM
Depending when it is I'd be interested in this and know a few knowledgeable hibbies who should be up for forming a team.

Room for 1 more? ;)

ancient hibee
13-07-2015, 06:51 PM
I would be interested but I'm away the second half of September.

Lester B
13-07-2015, 06:54 PM

Oh and just to add: the Dnipro folks are busy sorting stuff for their dinner so all enquiries to me on this and let them sort that out. Ive told Stevie all he needs to do is turn up on the night and be given a big bag of money. He's cool with that and so am I!! ;-)

Mr White
13-07-2015, 06:57 PM
Room for 1 more? ;)

Sure that could be arranged!

Derek Dougan
13-07-2015, 07:41 PM
Pretty sure I could manage to get a team together.

fatbloke
13-07-2015, 09:15 PM
Great idea, i have done this in the past also. I would defo put a team in any night or whatever suits me. GGTTH

dp00
13-07-2015, 09:42 PM
I'd be stunned if hibs wouldn't give you use of Easter road for something like this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FitbaFolkKen
13-07-2015, 09:52 PM
Great plan, I'm not sure I could raise a team but I would be more than happy to donate a gift card or two as prizes for the quiz or as part of the raffle. I run Escape (http://www.escapeteambuilding.co.uk) as I'm sure you are wondering what for!

Admins not sure if I'm allowed to link it but it is a pain in the arse trying to explain what i do, feel free to edit/delete the link as required. :aok:

FranckSuzy
13-07-2015, 10:14 PM
I'm sure St Pat's would be able to put together a team for this, as long as there's loads of flag and harp questions :devil:

Lester B
14-07-2015, 09:51 AM
I'd be stunned if hibs wouldn't give you use of Easter road for something like this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Currently following up a lead for getting the Hibs club but have already contacted the club about potential help they could offer too!

Lester B
14-07-2015, 09:52 AM
Great plan, I'm not sure I could raise a team but I would be more than happy to donate a gift card or two as prizes for the quiz or as part of the raffle. I run Escape (http://www.escapeteambuilding.co.uk) as I'm sure you are wondering what for!

Admins not sure if I'm allowed to link it but it is a pain in the arse trying to explain what i do, feel free to edit/delete the link as required. :aok:

That would be brilliant. :thumbsup: Will be in touch

Lester B
14-07-2015, 09:54 AM
I'm sure St Pat's would be able to put together a team for this, as long as there's loads of flag and harp questions :devil:

OK. Which two countries have a map of the country on their flag? Which famous scientist was played by Harpo Marx as a cameo role in a movie in 1957? That's far as I'll go in terms of flag and harp questions!! :greengrin

dangermouse
14-07-2015, 10:36 AM
Venue wise, my works sports and social club use Edinburgh City FC just down from the Playhouse. It's central, cheap to hire and cheap bear as well. Ticks all the boxes.

Lester B
20-07-2015, 10:49 AM
Just bumping this back up with an update.

I've got meetings this week with various interested parties about making this a big event. Thanks to all for your responses and interest so far. Hopefully I'll be in a position to update on this soon with firmer details

Get revising!! :wink:

:flag:

Bishop Hibee
20-07-2015, 10:58 AM
I'd definitely get a team together. An excuse to re-read History of Hibs etc.

lord bunberry
20-07-2015, 11:34 AM
Venue wise, my works sports and social club use Edinburgh City FC just down from the Playhouse. It's central, cheap to hire and cheap bear as well. Ticks all the boxes.

I think that's closed down now

Future17
20-07-2015, 12:16 PM
I think that's closed down now

There's a big renovation/build going on next door in the old cinema, but fairly certain the Club is unaffected.

lord bunberry
20-07-2015, 12:28 PM
There's a big renovation/build going on next door in the old cinema, but fairly certain the Club is unaffected.
:aok:

StevieC
20-07-2015, 01:35 PM
OK. Which two countries have a map of the country on their flag? Which famous scientist was played by Harpo Marx as a cameo role in a movie in 1957? That's far as I'll go in terms of flag and harp questions!! :greengrin

Cyprus would be one of the flags .. I'd need to google to answer the rest of the question, and that's cheating. :wink:

Great work LB

Lester B
20-07-2015, 01:41 PM
Cyprus would be one of the flags .. I'd need to google to answer the rest of the question, and that's cheating. :wink:

Great work LB

I'll save you the bother. Kosovo!!

thanks for appearing on the thread Stevie. Gives me credibility :aok:

StevieC
20-07-2015, 05:08 PM
I'll save you the bother. Kosovo!!

thanks for appearing on the thread Stevie. Gives me credibility :aok:

After googling countries flags .. I then had to google whether Antartica could also be classed as a country, and what defines a country. I followed that up by researching who owns it, which opened up a huge can of worms and highlighted another UK/Argentina sovereignty dispute.

Knowledge is a wonderful thing .. just a shame old age destroys most of it :greengrin

Lester B
21-07-2015, 09:04 AM
After googling countries flags .. I then had to google whether Antartica could also be classed as a country, and what defines a country. I followed that up by researching who owns it, which opened up a huge can of worms and highlighted another UK/Argentina sovereignty dispute.

Knowledge is a wonderful thing .. just a shame old age destroys most of it :greengrin

Welcome to my world. Used to run a music quiz. One night I realised I was sitting at 2 in the morning on a Friday night reading Buddy Holly's autopsy report online with a can of beer.

craigmounthibby
21-07-2015, 06:01 PM
Welcome to my world. Used to run a music quiz. One night I realised I was sitting at 2 in the morning on a Friday night reading Buddy Holly's autopsy report online with a can of beer.

Hi LB. I'd be able to get a couple of teams of 4/5 for this - especially if a Sat after a home game.

Lester B
22-07-2015, 10:15 AM
Hi LB. I'd be able to get a couple of teams of 4/5 for this - especially if a Sat after a home game.

Good stuff sir.:aok: Looking increasingly like it will be Saturday after a home game. Should be able to confirm the date this time next week

CallumLaidlaw
22-07-2015, 10:20 AM
Good stuff sir.:aok: Looking increasingly like it will be Saturday after a home game. Should be able to confirm the date this time next week

Saturday 26th would be cracking (mainly cos I cant make the 12th and really fancy this). Just around payday for most people too :aok:

Lester B
22-07-2015, 10:25 AM
Saturday 26th would be cracking (mainly cos I cant make the 12th and really fancy this). Just around payday for most people too :aok:

That's the date I'm hoping for Callum. Took your advice and contacted the guy at the club you mentioned. Meeting him next Wednesday to discuss. They apparently can provide help and have some ideas to make it bigger. As long as we maximise money for Dnipro then happy to talk to them!!

CallumLaidlaw
22-07-2015, 11:09 AM
That's the date I'm hoping for Callum. Took your advice and contacted the guy at the club you mentioned. Meeting him next Wednesday to discuss. They apparently can provide help and have some ideas to make it bigger. As long as we maximise money for Dnipro then happy to talk to them!!

Brilliant stuff :aok: Tom is a cracking guy, and is always happy to help.

green.oracle
22-07-2015, 11:21 AM

I'll be able to put a team together too Lester. Dates after home games or a sunday fine with my team.

I'll keep looking on Hibs.net for more info.

:thumbsup::flag:

Lester B
22-07-2015, 01:18 PM
I'll be able to put a team together too Lester. Dates after home games or a sunday fine with my team.

I'll keep looking on Hibs.net for more info.

:thumbsup::flag:

Well with a user name like that sir you have a lot to live up to :wink:

I'm really looking forward to it already; probably because I know the questions and how good they are!! :nerd: