PDA

View Full Version : £49 million for Raheem Sterling

Hibernia&Alba
12-07-2015, 05:13 PM
http://www1.skysports.com/transfer-centre/ Naw, come on. Seriously?

SeanWilson
12-07-2015, 05:15 PM
http://www1.skysports.com/transfer-centre/ Naw, come on. Seriously?

PL has gone absolutely mental.

Matty_Jack04
12-07-2015, 05:16 PM
Most over rated player in history but with the rule on English players down there you could make an absolute killing off the so called big guns

Platinum Scotty
12-07-2015, 05:17 PM
Agree totally

His agent is a class act but hey they seem to be happy!!

HoboHarry
12-07-2015, 05:21 PM
Lunacy. He will be gone from City within two years in my opinion but hey, he will be a wealthy young man. Maybe that is what is important to him.

BroxburnHibee
12-07-2015, 05:23 PM
No need for austerity in football clearly :greengrin

Scouse Hibee
12-07-2015, 05:27 PM
Great bit of business now watch Liverpool waste it on more *****.

J-C
12-07-2015, 05:28 PM

Brendan's not got a great record for buying players has he.

Billy Whizz
12-07-2015, 05:30 PM
Brendan's not got a great record for buying players has he.

Did he buy them though?

Hibernia&Alba
12-07-2015, 05:30 PM

If you could manage to sign Marco Reus, or a player of that ilk, for about half that, you'll be laughing. I just can't believe the fee.

easty
12-07-2015, 05:32 PM
PL has gone absolutely mental.

Less mental than the Sterling deal, but again showing that the EPL has too much money floating about. I read the other day that Scott Dann was signing a new £65k a week deal at Crystal Palace. He's no a bad centre half by any means, but that's a ridiculous wage.

Billy Whizz
12-07-2015, 05:33 PM
Less mental than the Sterling deal, but again showing that the EPL has too much money floating about. I read the other day that Scott Dann was signing a new £65k a week deal at Crystal Palace. He's no a bad centre half by any means, but that's a ridiculous wage.

We're all contributing with our sky direct debits

J-C
12-07-2015, 05:34 PM
Did he buy them though?

He gave them the go ahead, he'll be offered players and either agree or not to take them.

easty
12-07-2015, 05:34 PM

Not me.

NadeAteMyLunch!
12-07-2015, 05:35 PM
What a massive cock he's turned out to be. Yeah he's got his move and he'll be filthy rich now but that would have happened within 24 months anyway. He's handled the whole thing despicably in my opinion, helped by his agent. A bit like Thomson after changing his agent and working his move to Rangers. Sterling has only just turned 20. No need to demand this move so soon.
Villa are my English team and it's nice to see Fabian Delph show a bit loyalty and turn City down at the last minute. Admittedly it seems to be after fan pressure but good all the same. Pathetic that City are clearly only going after these guys to boost the number of English guys in their squad. Hope Sterling flops massively. Can see him being the next Scott Sinclair and ending up at the likes of Villa in 2-3 seasons

J-C
12-07-2015, 05:35 PM

Not me, BT

Billy Whizz
12-07-2015, 05:41 PM
Not me.

I do I admit, but rarely watch English football on it

Billy Whizz
12-07-2015, 05:42 PM
What a massive cock he's turned out to be. Yeah he's got his move and he'll be filthy rich now but that would have happened within 24 months anyway. He's handled the whole thing despicably in my opinion, helped by his agent. A bit like Thomson after changing his agent and working his move to Rangers. Sterling has only just turned 20. No need to demand this move so soon.
Villa are my English team and it's nice to see Fabian Delph show a bit loyalty and turn City down at the last minute. Admittedly it seems to be after fan pressure but good all the same. Pathetic that City are clearly only going after these guys to boost the number of English guys in their squad. Hope Sterling flops massively. Can see him being the next Scott Sinclair and ending up at the likes of Villa in 2-3 seasons

When do Manchester City visit Anfield, he'll get a pretty hot reception😀

NadeAteMyLunch!
12-07-2015, 05:43 PM
When do Manchester City visit Anfield, he'll get a pretty hot reception[emoji3]

Look forward to that [emoji106]

Especially since the subs benches are so close to the fans at Anfield

TheFamous1875
12-07-2015, 05:45 PM

I cannae believe how they squandered the Suarez millions. How would you (as the resident Scouse) have wanted Liverpool to go about spending the dosh?

emerald green
12-07-2015, 05:45 PM
£49 million - that would possibly buy every player in the Scottish Premiership and Championship combined I would guess.

The £49 million presumably doesn't include his wages either? If so, add on another few million. I wonder how long this sort spending, and wages, can be sustained.

Billy Whizz
12-07-2015, 05:47 PM
£49 million - that would possibly buy every player in the Scottish Premiership and Championship combined I would guess.

The £49 million presumably doesn't include his wages either? If so, add on another few million. I wonder how long this sort spending, and wages, can be sustained.

Exactly. FIFA fair play my ass

BOB MARLEYS DUG
12-07-2015, 05:48 PM
QPR are getting 20% of the fee so will get around 10mill.

3pm
12-07-2015, 05:54 PM
I anyone wants a chuckle, follow @DeludedBrendan who will give you his views!

Hibernia&Alba
12-07-2015, 06:05 PM

£200,000 per week reportedly

liamh2202
12-07-2015, 06:05 PM

Or he could have got a career ending injury and never got his big move at all?

BT58
12-07-2015, 06:07 PM
Player and agent fall out with club. Obly winner these days is player/agent.
Sterling is a good player but never worth £30million never mind £49million. He has potential, but doubt Man city will get a profit from this deal. Hopefully RS will get a very unwelkomme response from the kop

Sir David Gray
12-07-2015, 06:07 PM
Incredible amount of money for someone who is little more than a good, young player with potential, at this moment.

I suppose it's still pocket money to the Manchester City owners right enough.

ancient hibee
12-07-2015, 06:08 PM
.Quite ludicrous.Suarez made the other front players look much better than they are because of his huge work ethic and skill.

PISTOL1875
12-07-2015, 06:17 PM
Most over rated player in history but with the rule on English players down there you could make an absolute killing off the so called big guns

even more over-rated that Andy Carroll ???

jacomo
12-07-2015, 06:23 PM

You've already spent it a chunk of it. Now it depends what happens with Balotelli I guess.

Platinum Scotty
12-07-2015, 06:25 PM
Agree totally

His agent is a class act but hey they seem to be happy!!

Pete
12-07-2015, 06:38 PM
The really distasteful thing is that he doesn't really want to be there. He's stated several times that he wants to go to arsenal and that could have happened next season. Money and agents have basically engineered this transfer.

It's getting further and further away.

He probably won't even get a game for City!

erin go bragh
12-07-2015, 06:44 PM
The really distasteful thing is that he doesn't really want to be there. He's stated several times that he wants to go to arsenal and that could have happened next season. Money and agents have basically engineered this transfer.

Arsenal might get him on the cheap next season .

GGTTH

Stonewall
12-07-2015, 06:52 PM

Speak for yourself.

matty_f
12-07-2015, 06:53 PM
Not me, BT

Then you're still contributing. :wink:

The_Horde
12-07-2015, 07:10 PM
Is 10m for Scott allan unrealistic?..

Squealing pig
12-07-2015, 07:10 PM
Crazy price tag for potential

tamig
12-07-2015, 07:16 PM
Lunacy. He will be gone from City within two years in my opinion but hey, he will be a wealthy young man. Maybe that is what is important to him.

He would have been a very wealthy young man if he'd signed the new contract his own club offered him. Money grabbing at it's most obscene imo. I hope he flops big time.

Hibs Class
12-07-2015, 07:19 PM
He would have been a very wealthy young man if he'd signed the new contract his own club offered him. Money grabbing at it's most obscene imo. I hope he flops big time.

Agree completely. Has shown his lack of class. Suspect he'll take the same petulant approach to work his way out of city in a year or two. Unbelievably, he may actually be a player I dislike even more than Ashley Cole, which is quite an achievement!

tamig
12-07-2015, 07:23 PM

I don't think Andy Carroll was over-rated at all. Sure, the transfer fee Liverpool paid was OTT but I think the only problem with Carroll has been his bad luck with injury. Great player when fit imo.

tamig
12-07-2015, 07:25 PM
Agree completely. Has shown his lack of class. Suspect he'll take the same petulant approach to work his way out of city in a year or two. Unbelievably, he may actually be a player I dislike even more than Ashley Cole, which is quite an achievement!

I was going to cite Ashley Cole in my post - but he is a different kettle of fish altogether as far as I'm concerned. What he did was inexcusable.

Speedy
12-07-2015, 07:25 PM

Harsh imo.

Firstly, if a rival company offered me double my current salary for doing the same job I'd snap their hands off.

Secondly, from a footballing perspective Sterling is signing for a better team, he'll be playing Champions League and will have a better chance of winning things. (He may not feature as much as he thinks but if you want to be the best you can you need to stretch yourself)

Thirdly, Liverpool are getting a great deal so he's got no reason to feel guilty.

tamig
12-07-2015, 07:29 PM
Harsh imo.

Firstly, if a rival company offered me double my current salary for doing the same job I'd snap their hands off.

Secondly, from a footballing perspective Sterling is signing for a better team, he'll be playing Champions League and will have a better chance of winning things. (He may not feature as much as he thinks but if you want to be the best you can you need to stretch yourself)

Thirdly, Liverpool are getting a great deal so he's got no reason to feel guilty.

I don't really buy that. For me there probably comes a point where money is no object - and that's at EPL pay levels. Anybody earning over 30k a week is on a very good number imo. If it gets to 100k thats crazy stuff. I don't see how anything beyond that can make too much of a difference as you're already well set for life and could see out the rest of your days in supreme comfort. Maybe that's just me though.

J-C
12-07-2015, 07:32 PM
Then you're still contributing. :wink:

Well some, the majority still from SKY, BT only have a few games and now Champions League, tbh the little I pay doesn't bother me a bit, look across the pond to USA and see the money in American Football, just the same, also baseball.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
12-07-2015, 07:49 PM

They'll waste it on over-priced shellsuits, home perm kits and stick on moustaches.....

:duck: :greengrin

Baader
12-07-2015, 07:50 PM
Cost city over £10m than they paid for Sergio Aguero which is utterly ludicrous.

stoneyburn hibs
12-07-2015, 08:00 PM
It's a crazy amount of money for an up to date Wright Phillips.

iwasthere1972
12-07-2015, 08:03 PM
Good bit of business by Liverpool to get £49 million, less the reported £10 million that QPR will get, for a player who didn't want to be there. Hopefully they'll spend it wisely although I suspect that they will be asked for daft money for any player that they are looking to replace Sterling with.

The football world has gone absolutely crazy. I blame Sky. I would love it just love it if they went bust.

blackpoolhibs
12-07-2015, 08:08 PM

Me neither.

Hibernia&Alba
12-07-2015, 08:08 PM
He will be the most expensive under 21 player in history. He certainly has raw talent, but it's very raw and he needs to grow up off the field. £49 million brings huge expectations.

SteveHFC
12-07-2015, 08:11 PM
£49m :faf:

Really hope the owner of Man city ends up pulling his money from the club and it would be funny to watch City struggling again.

FitbaFolkKen
12-07-2015, 08:40 PM

Everton tried to buy him for 8 million and were told it would take at least 15..... :brickwall

PISTOL1875
12-07-2015, 08:43 PM

He probably won't even get a game for City!

:aok::aok::aok::top marks:top marks:top marks:top marks

Speedy
12-07-2015, 08:46 PM
I don't really buy that. For me there probably comes a point where money is no object - and that's at EPL pay levels. Anybody earning over 30k a week is on a very good number imo. If it gets to 100k thats crazy stuff. I don't see how anything beyond that can make too much of a difference as you're already well set for life and could see out the rest of your days in supreme comfort. Maybe that's just me though.

You're right. When you earn that much you can afford to be choosy.

But from a footballing perspective it's easy to see why he'd rather be at City than Liverpool.

PISTOL1875
12-07-2015, 08:46 PM
If everyone takes a step=back from the Raheem bashing for a second and think about it... RS wanted to leave Liverpool because they are letting their best players go and he will end up winning hee haw if he stays there..

If you played for Hibs and Celtic came calling every with the promise of a better wage packet and European football along with the chance of winning trophies , every single person on this forum would be away...

iwasthere1972
12-07-2015, 08:49 PM
If everyone takes a step=back from the Raheem bashing for a second and think about it... RS wanted to leave Liverpool because they are letting their best players go and he will end up winning hee haw if he stays there..

If you played for Hibs and Celtic came calling every with the promise of a better wage packet and European football along with the chance of winning trophies , every single person on this forum would be away...

Aye but they would need a bench the length of Princes Street and none of us would get a game.

CapitalGreen
12-07-2015, 08:51 PM

Fair enough if someone wants to leave for a better club but not turning for training is unacceptable at any level.

Sir David Gray
12-07-2015, 08:54 PM

Speak for yourself.

PISTOL1875
12-07-2015, 08:56 PM
Speak for yourself.

Are you telling me that you wouldn't want to better yourself or your salary then ???

PISTOL1875
12-07-2015, 08:58 PM
Fair enough if someone wants to leave for a better club but not turning for training is unacceptable at any level.

I agree 100%.. The way this has came about hasn't put the player in the best light but he isn't the first and won't be the last player to do something like this. Gareth Bale done it as did Adam Lallana...

liamh2202
12-07-2015, 08:59 PM
Are you telling me that you wouldn't want to better yourself or your salary then ???

I think you used a bad example. I totally agree with what you were trying to say in the grand scheme of things but I wouldn't move from hibs to Celtic . I would however move from hibs to england etc

lyonhibs
12-07-2015, 09:00 PM
I agree 100%.. The way this has came about hasn't put the player in the best light but he isn't the first and won't be the last player to do something like this. Gareth Bale done it as did Adam Lallana...

49 million is an absolute piss take though right ?

Man City have been done up a kipper here. Talk about a premium for buying English.....

PISTOL1875
12-07-2015, 09:01 PM
I think you used a bad example. I totally agree with what you were trying to say in the grand scheme of things but I wouldn't move from hibs to Celtic . I would however move from hibs to england etc

So if Celtic made you an offer of European football , better opportunities in the game and doubled your wages then you would't make the move ???

B.H.F.C
12-07-2015, 09:01 PM
For all he's acted like a p**** he's got a much better chance of winning things at Man City than at Liverpool. So maybe it isn't all about the money.

The maddest thing about it is the fee.

PISTOL1875
12-07-2015, 09:03 PM
For all he's acted like a p**** he's got a much better chance of winning things at Man City than at Liverpool. So maybe it isn't all about the money.

I don't think it was all Sterling being honest.. The players agent has chucked his 10pence worth in as well.. Didn't the boy hat West Brom who shared the agent get rid of him over the way this has been drawn out ???

liamh2202
12-07-2015, 09:08 PM
So if Celtic made you an offer of European football , better opportunities in the game and doubled your wages then you would't make the move ???

Not if I had emotional ties like I do with hibs and anti Celtic feelings that I have.. Just to prove the poi t on a different level i did turn down moves to other clubs when I was younger where my prospects were better to try and make it at hibs

If I was good enough for Celtic I'd hold out for a move down south

Sir David Gray
12-07-2015, 09:13 PM

Yep but some things are worth more than a better salary.

If I was good enough that Celtic were after me then I'm sure other clubs that I would actually be willing to play for would also be interested in signing me.

I've had this discussion many times before on here and no-one seems to believe me. I know it's easy for me to say when it's never going to be a decision I'll have to make but I wouldn't have the slightest interest in playing for Celtic, Sevco or Hearts.

I would like to think I would have the same outlook as many footballers had in the 1940s and 50s when they were playing for the team they supported and didn't want to leave.

J-C
12-07-2015, 09:15 PM

Ask Leigh Griffiths, he'll tell you the answer.

PISTOL1875
12-07-2015, 09:23 PM
Not if I had emotional ties like I do with hibs and anti Celtic feelings that I have.. Just to prove the poi t on a different level i did turn down moves to other clubs when I was younger where my prospects were better to try and make it at hibs

If I was good enough for Celtic I'd hold out for a move down south

Are you for real ?? There is no guarantee that the move down south would come along is there ?? I can't believe that you would be happy to be happy to stuck at Hibs when you could've went to Celtic for much improved terms and the opportunity to be in the shop window a lot more than previously ?? How can you have such sentiment and emotion in a ' job ' where you there is only such a small period of time that you will be able to make a living from the playing side of that job ??

Pete
12-07-2015, 09:24 PM

I think it's a bad example as the lifestyle change would be greater with the Scottish move. If Hibs paid me two grand and Celtic wanted to give me ten or twenty then I'm sorry I would go. My family would be set for life.

My family would be set for life anyway if I was on 100k at lLiverpool so I'd find it much easier to be loyal if someone who I didn't really want to play for offered me 200k. How much money do you need?

Saying that, I can't even imagine what the second scenario would be like and I'm sure 99.9% of those reading this are the same.

PISTOL1875
12-07-2015, 09:26 PM
Yep but some things are worth more than a better salary.

If I was good enough that Celtic were after me then I'm sure other clubs that I would actually be willing to play for would also be interested in signing me.

I've had this discussion many times before on here and no-one seems to believe me. I know it's easy for me to say when it's never going to be a decision I'll have to make but I wouldn't have the slightest interest in playing for Celtic, Sevco or Hearts.

I would like to think I would have the same outlook as many footballers had in the 1940s and 50s when they were playing for the team they supported and didn't want to leave.

How can it be easy when you are going to improve your wages and better chance of living ?? These opportunities don't come along every day of the week do they ?

you might have have the same outlook as players in the 40s and 50s but we aren't playing in that era are we ???

PISTOL1875
12-07-2015, 09:27 PM
I think it's a bad example as the lifestyle change would be greater with the Scottish move. If Hibs paid me two grand and Celtic wanted to give me ten or twenty then I'm sorry I would go. My family would be set for life.

My family would be set for life anyway if I was on 100k at lLiverpool so I'd find it much easier to be loyal if someone who I didn't really want to play for offered me 200k. How much money do you need?

Saying that, I can't even imagine what the second scenario would be like and I'm sure 99.9% of those reading this are the same.

of course you would go , anybody who turned that down without anything better on the table would be off their rocker..

danhibees1875
12-07-2015, 09:28 PM
Good bit of business by Liverpool to get £49 million, less the reported £10 million that QPR will get, for a player who didn't want to be there. Hopefully they'll spend it wisely although I suspect that they will be asked for daft money for any player that they are looking to replace Sterling with.

The football world has gone absolutely crazy. I blame Sky. I would love it just love it if they went bust.

That last sentence :agree:

Football needs to be brought to its knees so that it can get its feet back on the ground.

Eyrie
12-07-2015, 09:29 PM
At Sterling's age £100k per week and being one of the first names on the team sheet is a better offer than £200k per week to sit on the bench and hope for 15-20 minutes. He's a young kid who needs to play to improve, not a thirty-something looking for a last pay day.

PISTOL1875
12-07-2015, 09:31 PM
At Sterling's age £100k per week and being one of the first names on the team sheet is a better offer than £200k per week to sit on the bench and hope for 15-20 minutes. He's a young kid who needs to play to improve, not a thirty-something looking for a last pay day.

Honestly mate , if you think City are going to pay that amount of money for him and not play him then you are bonkers.. If he is fit then he will play...

liamh2202
12-07-2015, 09:33 PM
Are you for real ?? There is no guarantee that the move down south would come along is there ?? I can't believe that you would be happy to be happy to stuck at Hibs when you could've went to Celtic for much improved terms and the opportunity to be in the shop window a lot more than previously ?? How can you have such sentiment and emotion in a ' job ' where you there is only such a small period of time that you will be able to make a living from the playing side of that job ??

Yes I'm for real,,just for the record. I would even play for hearts before the of. Which I have also chose in the past

PISTOL1875
12-07-2015, 09:34 PM
Yes I'm for real,,just for the record. I would even play for hearts before the of. Which I have also chose in the past

You obviously had no ambition in your career then mate..

Pete
12-07-2015, 09:37 PM
Honestly mate , if you think City are going to pay that amount of money for him and not play him then you are bonkers.. If he is fit then he will play...

You are bonkers if you think that a high price tag means he will be guaranteed a starting position. Especially at a club where this type of money is pocket change and competition is fierce.

Personally, I think he will flop but it's a gamble they can afford.

liamh2202
12-07-2015, 09:47 PM
You obviously had no ambition in your career then mate..

Excuse me?? My ambition was to play for hibs , I think I done OK ., maybe I should have got you as my agent ;)

Being at hibs or hearts as a youth player shows more ambition to get to the first team than Celtic and rangers did . considering no one I know from that time made the breakthrough at either of them.

Speedy
12-07-2015, 09:52 PM

If you have ambition and belief in your ability then you would be assuming you're a regular starter rather than a bench warmer.

CropleyWasGod
12-07-2015, 10:06 PM
£49m for Sterling?

The Greek government have just been in touch with Man City to ask how much they'd pay for the Drachma.

Mibbes Aye
12-07-2015, 10:13 PM
49 million is an absolute piss take though right ?

Man City have been done up a kipper here. Talk about a premium for buying English.....

This is the only really important point here. No one's paying £49m for Sterling based on his ability or potential. If he goes for £49m it's because he satisfies the requirement for a home-grown player and he has some ability or potential.

I'm no fan of Man City but there's no point them buying another Scott Sinclair, they are as well going for the best within the constraints they are working under. Unfortunately for them, they are in a sellers' market and everyone knows they're loaded.

Sterling undoubtedly has potential, he's not necessarily realised it yet but I struggle to think of who they could or would reasonably go for, who meets the homegrown criteria and offers more. Fabregas perhaps, but he probably wouldn't want to go and Chelsea don't need or want to sell him. On that basis they could probably say to Man C that he's twice the price of Sterling, or more.

It's been rumoured MC were keen on Wilshere but given his injury record that's a big risk. There's been talk of them looking at Song as well but as much as he's a likeable player it doesn't shout of ambition.

It's hard to see who else offers better value for money. You could ask as many questions about Walcott and Oxlade-Chamberlain as you do of Sterling. Kane has had one good season, that's all. Clyne's gone to Liverpool anyway but though he looks promising City have adequate cover for another year or two in Zabaleta and Sagna, plus it only takes a look at Calum Chambers to see that moving to a CL side is no easy ask (I should add that I like Chambers, just think he's had a tough test and acknowledge Clyne's got far more first team games under his belt0.

In short, Sterling is probably the strongest option for them within the rules they are having to work to. They aren't in a good position to negotiate though, hence this extortionate fee.

Didn't quote ancienthibee's post but would completely agree - despite Suarez's issues the work ethic and teamplay he demonstrated was astounding. I'm not as old as AH :greengrin but I'm old enough to recognise you see that level of intensity only rarely.

hibeemikey21
12-07-2015, 10:15 PM
I reckon you could get coutinho for £25-30 mil. Him plus schweinsteiger for less than what you'd pay for sterling. The English premium is hilarious.

£50 mil is apparently the asking price for Harry Kane also!

Sir David Gray
12-07-2015, 10:15 PM
How can it be easy when you are going to improve your wages and better chance of living ?? These opportunities don't come along every day of the week do they ?

you might have have the same outlook as players in the 40s and 50s but we aren't playing in that era are we ???

If Hibs paid me £2000 a week and I was playing every week for the club I've supported my whole life and I was playing in front of my fellow fans every week then I would be more than happy with that.

That would be £100,000 a year, I could have a great standard of living on that sort of salary and it would be around four times higher than the UK average.

If the likes of Manchester Utd, Bayern Munich or Real Madrid came in for me then of course I would be away.

Pete
12-07-2015, 10:18 PM
If Hibs paid me £2000 a week and I was playing every week for the club I've supported my whole life and I was playing in front of my fellow fans every week then I would be more than happy with that.

That would be £100,000 a year, I could have a great standard of living on that sort of salary and it would be around four times higher than the UK average.

If the likes of Manchester Utd, Bayern Munich or Real Madrid came in for me then of course I would be away.

What if Rangers came in for you?

:hmmm:

:greengrin

Sir David Gray
12-07-2015, 10:21 PM
What if Rangers came in for you?

:hmmm:

There's no amount of money on this planet that would persuade me to play for them.

erin go bragh
12-07-2015, 10:29 PM

No danger pistol . I'd be more than happy to spend my whole career playing for the only team I love . And I'll bet you ,I won't be the only one .

GGTTH

Mikey09
12-07-2015, 10:32 PM
£49m for Sterling?

The Greek government have just been in touch with Man City to ask how much they'd pay for the Drachma.

Who's he?! Didier Drachma?!

B.H.F.C
12-07-2015, 10:48 PM
No danger pistol . I'd be more than happy to spend my whole career playing for the only team I love . And I'll bet you ,I won't be the only one .

GGTTH

Really easy to say that sitting in our position. But in reality, how many players at teams like Hibs or Hearts who have supported those teams growing up turn down moves the likes of the Old Firm when the chance actually comes up? Not many.

greenlex
12-07-2015, 11:06 PM
I don't give a flying one about him or English football to be honest but would like to point out that's a lot of helium balloons worth of wages.

tamig
12-07-2015, 11:09 PM
Really easy to say that sitting in our position. But in reality, how many players at teams like Hibs or Hearts who have supported those teams growing up turn down moves the likes of the Old Firm when the chance actually comes up? Not many.

Exactly. We're fans - not professionals. I think it's a romantic notion for anyone to think they'd be happy as a pro footballer to spend their entire career at Hibs, ignoring life-changing offers, just because you support the club. Maybe romantic - perhaps plain stupid.

Thecat23
12-07-2015, 11:13 PM
A player who most folk don't rate yet he can command a fee like that. I say well done, Liverpool are horse **** and he won't win the league there. He's now on the sort of money that will set him for life and his family.

He will know himself he's not as good as that price tag but if anyone on here had the same chance as he did and they say "I'd stay with Liverpool" then your either wearing red tinted specs or on drugs. Football is about money now and playing at the top he's managed to seal that deal.

I think him and his agent have played a blinder here!

Sir David Gray
12-07-2015, 11:13 PM
Exactly. We're fans - not professionals. I think it's a romantic notion for anyone to think they'd be happy as a pro footballer to spend their entire career at Hibs, ignoring life-changing offers, just because you support the club. Maybe romantic - perhaps plain stupid.

Being paid £100,000 a year to play for Hibs would already be life changing.

tamig
12-07-2015, 11:49 PM

Perhaps based on the average wage. If you could earn in a week elsewhere what you earned in a year at Hibs, I don't think there would be much of a decision to be made. 2 grand a week is nothing in football. Remember it's a short career. 100 grand a year for a few years certainly wouldn't last a lifetime if you packed the game in at 35.

Vault Boy
13-07-2015, 12:37 AM
One million pounds more than one of the greatest players to grace the game. Although, I too think that some of the personal criticism is OTT. If he fails at City (no certainty that he won't flourish), he'll have made copious amount of money and will still be guaranteed football at a top club, whether it's on loan or not. However, above all else, City will want to protect and justify their investment, I can't see him rotting on the bench quite as much as some are suggesting, he will definitely be capable of competing with Navas and Nasri for a starting spot.

Stewboy
13-07-2015, 06:28 AM

About £14m worth of over rated

DH1875
13-07-2015, 07:01 AM
£200,000 per week reportedly

Even bigger joke than the £49 million.

TrinityHibs
13-07-2015, 07:37 AM
£49m for Sterling?

Drachma would be more likely to get a game

Scouse Hibee
13-07-2015, 07:56 AM
Of course no one would deny that you have to look after your own interests and secure as much money as you can for your future. The annoying part from me and a lot of other Liverpool fans is the sheer petulance, arrogance and immature behaviour demonstrated by Sterling. Off the field antics,phoning in sick and showing a total disrespect to the club and its fans.

Lago
13-07-2015, 08:24 AM
Of course no one would deny that you have to look after your own interests and secure as much money as you can for your future. The annoying part from me and a lot of other Liverpool fans is the sheer petulance, arrogance and immature behaviour demonstrated by Sterling. Off the field antics,phoning in sick and showing a total disrespect to the club and its fans.
He is not the first to do it and certainly won't be the last.

SlickShoes
13-07-2015, 09:20 AM

At least now you can buy almost 10 players of his caliber for the money you got.

heretoday
13-07-2015, 09:32 AM
He's a great wee player. Let's hope he gets a chance to show it.

As for the money........are we really surprised these days?

Steve-O
13-07-2015, 09:48 AM
It's easier because it's barely on TV here, but I've basically given up watching any EPL. Don't think I'll bother even checking results next season.

Overrated and overpriced. Ridiculous money being chucked around on mediocre pish.

J-C
13-07-2015, 09:58 AM

Back in the 50's and 60's yes but go tell that to Riordan, Scott, Thomson, Whittaker, GOC etc all went elsewhere to earn the money that could set them up for life, all these lads came through our youth set up and went onto bigger and better things, none chose to stay here for the love of Hibs.

In Sterlings case, he's a London lad, so has no real mental tie to Liverpool, he's out grown the team and quickly saw last season that Rodgers and Co. haven't got a clue how to bring in top notch players, Suarez money wasted on dross and Liverpool back to being also rans.

hibeemikey21
13-07-2015, 10:04 AM

That's what's awful about modern day football; the player power and how early that power is conferred in players' careers.

20 year old jumped up wee ******** who has achieved nothing in the game and is acting like he's some club legend who has outgrown the place. The club are powerless to do anything and their hand has been forced.

Mikey09
13-07-2015, 10:08 AM
Surely this kind of signing must have a major impact on Man City's development squad? If there is a kid knocking on the door of the first team who plays Sterlings position then how pissed off will they feel now? However the head of youth development at City must have the easiest job in the world... No pressure to produce kids as none ever get a sniff because of there ridiculous signing policy. Top end of English football is a complete farce and boring as **** now.

J-C
13-07-2015, 10:13 AM
Surely this kind of signing must have a major impact on Man City's development squad? If there is a kid knocking on the door of the first team who plays Sterlings position then how pissed off will they feel now? However the head of youth development at City must have the easiest job in the world... No pressure to produce kids as none ever get a sniff because of there ridiculous signing policy. Top end of English football is a complete farce and boring as **** now.

If the standard of the development squad at Man City is someone like Ryan McGivern, then maybe that's why they've not broken through yet.

tamig
13-07-2015, 10:40 AM

Is there development squad not a bit like Chelsea's in that it's full of top young talent they've hoovered up from all over Europe?

13-07-2015, 11:42 AM
£49m for Sterling?! Football has officially gone insane! Sorry Man City but you guys have been truly and utterly ROBBED!

Most Liverpool fans i've seen are delighted to see the back of him. One of the most overrated players in the modern game. An arrogant wee fud who seems to think he's a big shot.

Mikey09
13-07-2015, 11:43 AM
Is there development squad not a bit like Chelsea's in that it's full of top young talent they've hoovered up from all over Europe?

I think there are quite a lot of English lads on there books with few European players as well. My point was more that the youth system at city may produce very good players, McGivern not a good example, yet they have no chance of making it to the first team when they sign the likes of Sterling. Isn't the whole point of a youth programme to bring your own lads through, ready to be a first team regular? They are playing with young guys careers, leading them on making them think they have a chance to make it to the first team when in all honesty they have no chance.

WeeRussell
13-07-2015, 11:52 AM
Agree with the general sentiment on here that Sterling, Agent and Liverpool have all played this well - City are just mental.. but they can afford to be.

Couple of strands of pish been spouted by the same individual however:

1. Insisting that everybody on this forum would be off to Celtic as soon as they came calling with the offer of more money and 'European football' is 100% nonsense. I'll echo almost everything Trig said - although I would never play for Real Madrid either :wink:. If Celtic were offering 10x my wages - I'd be pretty confident of holding on for a move to a club that wouldn't make me sick to play for - shame on us for putting some principles, beliefs and loyalty before the immediate extra coin. No we've never been and never will be in that position - but to suggest EVERY one on here would dive at the first offer from Celtic, is nonsense. I would of course start considering the other options available.. mainly because of the money... but it wouldn't be an offer from either of the old firm.

2. If Raheem Sterling starts every game he is fit for next season I'll withdraw all of the above and sign for Celtic. Decent young player (and Liverpool's best last season on what evidence I seen) but not yet City-start standard and crazy to think who else that money could have been invested in. He will likely win a medal this season though, and afford a few fish suppers.

erin go bragh
13-07-2015, 02:04 PM
Lawrie Reilly knocked back Man Utd and many more top teams to stay and play with the team he loved playing for .
GGTTH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jdships
13-07-2015, 02:18 PM
£49m for Sterling?! Football has officially gone insane! Sorry Man City but you guys have been truly and utterly ROBBED!

Most Liverpool fans i've seen are delighted to see the back of him. One of the most overrated players in the modern game. An arrogant wee fud who seems to think he's a big shot.

Good post !
I have had three relatives ( all Scots) play for 'Pool since WW2 and still pop into Annfield when in the City and am made most welcome
Called in beginning of July and met up with a couple of reserve team staff ( not players)
While both weren't prepared to say very much re Sterling personally the overall thread that came across was
" The club is always bigger than the individual and apparently he has been taking advice from a " Marketing" guru who sowed the seed that he could " demand " anything, basically, in wages ".

He has made a stick to break his back IMO as the media will watch like hawks for the slightest " slip up" dip in form etc
Hope he makes it :greengrin

B.H.F.C
13-07-2015, 02:42 PM
Lawrie Reilly knocked back Man Utd and many more top teams to stay and play with the team he loved playing for .
GGTTH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brilliant as that is it's not comparable to a current day situation at all.

For a start, he would have probably earned the same at either club. And Hibs were a bloody good side in those days, reaching European semi finals etc.

NAE NOOKIE
13-07-2015, 03:27 PM
An over rated player in a fantasy league full of players earning wages way above the level of their talent. £200,000 a week for a player who has done nothing yet and from what I've seen cant finish half the chances he gets.

If the FA were to wake up they would see right there why their national teams are so poor. Full of players whose wages are inflated way out of proportion because they are at a premium as English players in a league full of top class foreigners, the result being they think their earnings are a measure of how good they are, instead of a measure of market forces. Look at their under 21s ..... swept aside by players from what they would see as 'inferior' leagues a few weeks ago, the 3rd under 21 tournament in a row they have failed to make it out of the group stages. The full team have made the quarter finals once in the last 6 world cups and made the semi finals of the Euros only twice in the whole history of the tournament. That's what happens when you make raw kids think they are world stars by throwing money at them and over hyping the league they play in

The_Exile
13-07-2015, 03:27 PM
He reminds me a bit of Aaron Lennon, when he was playing for Spurs 4 or 5 years ago the laddie was unstoppable, then for whatever reason he just gradually played less and less games and ended up a fringe player. Sure there was talk of Milan or Monaco being after him when he was playing well? It'll be interesting to see how Sterling does but can see him slowly playing less and less until the only time you see him is in an England shirt playing an hour or so in a friendly.

Famous Fiver
13-07-2015, 03:33 PM
The irony is that while we whine about the fee and wages it is effectively us, the mug Sky punters who pay £50 or more a month, who are contributing in no small measure to the whole shebang.

jdships
13-07-2015, 04:30 PM
An over rated player in a fantasy league full of players earning wages way above the level of their talent. £200,000 a week for a player who has done nothing yet and from what I've seen cant finish half the chances he gets.

If the FA were to wake up they would see right there why their national teams are so poor. Full of players whose wages are inflated way out of proportion because they are at a premium as English players in a league full of top class foreigners, the result being they think their earnings are a measure of how good they are, instead of a measure of market forces. Look at their under 21s ..... swept aside by players from what they would see as 'inferior' leagues a few weeks ago, the 3rd under 21 tournament in a row they have failed to make it out of the group stages. The full team have made the quarter finals once in the last 6 world cups and made the semi finals of the Euros only twice in the whole history of the tournament. That's what happens when you make raw kids think they are world stars by throwing money at them and over hyping the league they play in

You make som e excellent points - good podt !
At 20/21 the great majority of players while they may have the basic skills they often lack that magic something that will take them to the top and by 23/4 they have slipped down the leagues.
A previous poster quoted Aaron Lennon who was a perfect example
Personally I think he should have stayed put for another couple of years and proved himself to be a top class player: now he has put tremendous pressure on himself for the next season or so !!

Hibernia&Alba
13-07-2015, 05:22 PM
United have just signed a German world cup winner, a French international midfielder and the Italian national team right back for a combined fee of a couple of million more than Sterling will cost. It's bonkers; there's paying a premium for an English player and there's being taken to the cleaners.

jdships
13-07-2015, 06:06 PM
United have just signed a German world cup winner, a French international midfielder and the Italian national team right back for a combined fee of a couple of million more than Sterling will cost. It's bonkers; there's paying a premium for an English player and there's being taken to the cleaners.

Absolutely !!
The game has gone crazy and the people who turn up on a Saturday will be the ones to " pay the piper"
Can this go on indefinately or will a really big club go bust ?
:confused::rolleyes:

Iggy Pope
13-07-2015, 06:12 PM

That's bonkers as well. Are United being prudent? £145m in 12 months might suggest otherwise. That's only on players.

Iggy Pope
13-07-2015, 06:14 PM
[/U][/B]

Absolutely !!
The game has gone crazy and the people who turn up on a Saturday will be the ones to " pay the piper"

Can't stand the thought of any club going bust. Someone needs to take heed though. We need the game returned to us.

Hibernia&Alba
13-07-2015, 06:28 PM
That's bonkers as well. Are United being prudent? £145m in 12 months might suggest otherwise. That's only on players.

It's £225 million in twelve months, and £65 million on Mata and Fellaini six months previously!

McD
13-07-2015, 07:11 PM

And the 25 thousand staff they employ who don't earn premiership football wages....?

jimmythefish
13-07-2015, 07:16 PM
Liverpool must be laughing their duck off, £49 mil for a player wi his attitude & a ready made replacement from city in James Milner for nowt, city have been well & truly done

Baader
13-07-2015, 09:11 PM
More than City paid for Aguero, more than Arsenal paid for Sanchez and Ozil (each), more than Man Utd paid for Mata, more than Chelsea paid for Hazard, Costa and Fabregas (each) and more than Bayern paid for Gotze and would have for Reus.

Completely crazy given that the above had all delivered and the buyers are getting known quality. Sterling has had one good season and not done an awful lot in football as yet. His attitude so far indicates he's a disrespectful big time Charlie with little class. Shows why a lot of European coaches avoid buying English players - they are seriously overpriced!

lyonhibs
14-07-2015, 08:46 AM
Liverpool must be laughing their duck off, £49 mil for a player wi his attitude & a ready made replacement from city in James Milner for nowt, city have been well & truly done

I think it's fair to say that Milner and Sterling are 2 very different types of players.

Still, clearly Liverpool have come out best of that particular trade!

jacomo
14-07-2015, 09:06 AM
More than City paid for Aguero, more than Arsenal paid for Sanchez and Ozil (each), more than Man Utd paid for Mata, more than Chelsea paid for Hazard, Costa and Fabregas (each) and more than Bayern paid for Gotze and would have for Reus.

Completely crazy given that the above had all delivered and the buyers are getting known quality. Sterling has had one good season and not done an awful lot in football as yet. His attitude so far indicates he's a disrespectful big time Charlie with little class. Shows why a lot of European coaches avoid buying English players - they are seriously overpriced!

Yes, you can imagine that Wenger is not impressed by Sterling's behaviour.

On the other hand, Pellegrini is probably in his last season at City, his club have money to burn, so from his pov why not? Sterling might be horribly overpriced but he's definitely got something about him.

NadeAteMyLunch!
14-07-2015, 09:13 AM
Or he could have got a career ending injury and never got his big move at all?

Correct, however how often has that actually happened? A high profile player staying put for 12 months before a big move and then getting injured and never playing again? Always read that it might happen, however it rarely-if ever-does.

Reading through the thread, lots of folk saying that it would be hard for him to turn down a move to City. In normal circumstances, that would probably be correct. However, it's the way he's gone about getting the move that's so bad. It would be like Scott Allan engineering a move to rangers this summer and treating Hibs with utter contempt to make sure we agreed to it. Suppose he could say that he's worried he gets a career threatening injury playing on championship pitches next season. Thankfully he's more class in his left peg than Sterling's entire body

McKenzie
14-07-2015, 08:09 PM
If he stays the 5 years without pay rises, the total comes to approx 100 million quid. He's no better than nasri or silva so can't see him starting much next season. Most over rated league in the world

SJNB Hibby
15-07-2015, 04:23 PM
When do Manchester City visit Anfield, he'll get a pretty hot reception

Not until March 1 unfortunately---theyre at maine Rd(whatever!!) on Nov 21

15-07-2015, 04:40 PM
The big league money is spinning massively out of control. Far too many billionaires who have come in, thrown ridiculous amounts of cash around and completely inflated the market. It wasn't that long ago that £50m for a player was practically unheard of and now it seems to be fairly normal for these big clubs.

It's silly money but to clubs like Man City, Chelsea etc. its nothing. How long can this actually go on for?

jacomo
15-07-2015, 04:57 PM
If he stays the 5 years without pay rises, the total comes to approx 100 million quid. He's no better than nasri or silva so can't see him starting much next season. Most over rated league in the world

Nasri's form is inconsistent, Silva has injuries / fatigue that stops him playing every game. Both class players but I think Sterling definitely has it, the most exciting English footballer right now.

Now time to see if this enormous money goes to his head or if he settles down and works hard.

Hard not think what we could do if someone decided to drop £49m on Hibs though.

Scouse Hibee
15-07-2015, 05:03 PM
Nasri's form is inconsistent, Silva has injuries / fatigue that stops him playing every game. Both class players but I think Sterling definitely has it, the most exciting English footballer right now.

Now time to see if this enormous money goes to his head or if he settles down and works hard.

Hard not think what we could do if someone decided to drop £49m on Hibs though.

Bitterness asdide as he's now gone and no longer on my radar, I do hope he goes on to fulfil his potential and in particular be a star for England. I think he needs to work really hard on his off the field behaviour which will hopefully will come with maturity and more sensible people around him and influencing him. If not I fear he may crash and burn.

15-07-2015, 05:16 PM
Bitterness asdide as he's now gone and no longer on my radar, I do hope he goes on to fulfil his potential and in particular be a star for England. I think he needs to work really hard on his off the field behaviour which will hopefully will come with maturity and more sensible people around him and influencing him. If not I fear he may crash and burn.

I agree Scouse Hibee, I think it will come down to attitude with him. Theres obviously potential there but if he carries on with his 'I'm a big time Charlie' attitude and starts thinking he's bigger and better than what he is then he will end up in trouble. If he cuts the smart arse act, gets his head down, works hard then he will probably do well for himself. He's still a young lad who has a hell of a lot to learn both on and off the park.

I recall watching that "Inside Liverpool FC" documentary that came out a couple years or so ago. Part of which filmed and followed Brendan and the team on a pre-season tour. Rogers gathered a group of young lads (including Sterling) together on the training field for a team talk and Sterling stood there giving smart arse comments. Rogers quite rightly nipped it in the bud and told him there and then to cut the attitude and listen or he would be on the first flight back home. Obviously he's a young laddie and was probably tryna play the clown and give it the big 'un in front of the other young players but it only proved what a disrespectful wee twat he can be. It's this kind of thing that will let him down if he continues it. Hopefully he learns to shut up and listen in future, as any manager worth their salt will wash their hands of players who try to undermine them and disrupt the dressing room.

hibeemikey21
15-07-2015, 06:48 PM
I agree Scouse Hibee, I think it will come down to attitude with him. Theres obviously potential there but if he carries on with his 'I'm a big time Charlie' attitude and starts thinking he's bigger and better than what he is then he will end up in trouble. If he cuts the smart arse act, gets his head down, works hard then he will probably do well for himself. He's still a young lad who has a hell of a lot to learn both on and off the park.

I recall watching that "Inside Liverpool FC" documentary that came out a couple years or so ago. Part of which filmed and followed Brendan and the team on a pre-season tour. Rogers gathered a group of young lads (including Sterling) together on the training field for a team talk and Sterling stood there giving smart arse comments. Rogers quite
rightly nipped it in the bud and told him there and then to cut the attitude and listen or he would be on the first flight back home. Obviously he's a young laddie and was probably tryna play the clown and give it the big 'un in front of the other young players but it only proved what a disrespectful wee twat he can be. It's this kind of thing that will let him down if he continues it. Hopefully he learns to shut up and listen in future, as any manager worth their salt will wash their hands of players
who try to undermine them and disrupt the dressing room.

I remember that bit and, to be fair to Sterling, it was Rodgers who seemed to be a bit of a prat and playing up to the cameras. Rodgers was going ballistic and Sterling said "easy" and Rodgers lost it further.

jacomo
15-07-2015, 06:50 PM

:agree:

15-07-2015, 07:57 PM
I remember that bit and, to be fair to Sterling, it was Rodgers who seemed to be a bit of a prat and playing up to the cameras. Rodgers was going ballistic and Sterling said "easy" and Rodgers lost it further.

Regardless. IMO if the manager is speaking, even if he does appear to be playing to the cameras, you shut up and respect him as he's trying to teach you. Looked to me as if Sterling was tryna give it the big un infront of the cameras there as well. To me he just came across as a silly wee school kid tryna show off to the class.

Lago
15-07-2015, 08:18 PM
Dont think the stats support supposed star status, just does not score enough to warrant the fee paid.

jacomo
15-07-2015, 08:28 PM
Regardless. IMO if the manager is speaking, even if he does appear to be playing to the cameras, you shut up and respect him as he's trying to teach you. Looked to me as if Sterling was tryna give it the big un infront of the cameras there as well. To me he just came across as a silly wee school kid tryna show off to the class.

:agree:

Like it or lump it, a football team is not a democracy.

Speaking of which, why was Rodgers going out of his way to say he still had a strong relationship with Sterling?? Er, he dumped you, girlfriend!

Lago
15-07-2015, 08:32 PM
[/U][/B]

Absolutely !
Sky money, BBC money, Gulf oil money, sick of it all, maybe a really big club does have to go bust in order for sense to prevail.

Hibernia&Alba
15-07-2015, 08:36 PM
I wonder how much Hibs have spent on transfer fees in our entire history?

Lago
15-07-2015, 08:43 PM
£100000 for Joe Harper was the big one. Not in that league now.

Tinribs
15-07-2015, 09:16 PM
I read a few of the comments, about how you would need to be on drugs etc to stay at a club you loved, when being offered huge dosh to move to some other club you didn't want to play for. I don't know if Matt Le Tissier has been mentioned, as i did not read all comments, but he refused to leave his club despite all sorts of silly money offers. So love of a badge comes into it, even for someone as talented as Southamptons own "Le God".

Hibernia&Alba
15-07-2015, 09:20 PM
Wasn't he on 35K per week at Liverpool, was offered a new contract at 100K +, and is now on 200K at City?

Stevie Reid
15-07-2015, 10:35 PM
Victor Valdes not a popular man at Utd: -

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/33531333

Hibernia&Alba
15-07-2015, 10:39 PM
Victor Valdes not a popular man at Utd: -

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/33531333

I thought it was strange he was taken on United's American tour; I guess there's the answer.

erin go bragh
16-07-2015, 10:08 AM

The 700 k we paid for De La Cruz is our record transfer paid . 400 k for Keith Keith . Think we paid 400 k for Gorum . That's 1.5 m for just 3 players
I'll guess it's about 3 or 4 m in total transfers paid .

GGTTH

J-C
16-07-2015, 10:42 AM
I thought it was strange he was taken on United's American tour; I guess there's the answer.

United give him an opportunity to get fit after his rehab and push for a starting place, he refuses reserve football, quite right too, get rid.

Peevemor
16-07-2015, 10:54 AM
The 700 k we paid for De La Cruz is our record transfer paid . 400 k for Keith Keith . Think we paid 400 k for Gorum . That's 1.5 m for just 3 players
I'll guess it's about 3 or 4 m in total transfers paid .

GGTTH

It'll be a lot more than that. Pre-Bosman, free transfers were rare and generally involved players who were either crap or at the end of their career. Guys like Darren Jackson, Michael O'Neil and even Brian Hamilton cost a few hundred grand each. Then there was Pat McGinlay twice (Blackpool then Celtic) and add to that the likes of (in n order) Neil Orr, Graham Mitchell, Dave Beaumont, Mickey Weir, Joe Harper, Alan Sneddon, etc. - there are hundreds!

ehf
16-07-2015, 11:14 AM
Did we not pay something like £400K to Stockport for Martin MacIntosh? Makes Sterling look like a bargain:rolleyes:

erin go bragh
16-07-2015, 11:49 AM
[QUOTE=Peevemor;4413390]It'll be a lot more than that. Pre-Bosman, free transfers were rare and generally involved players who were either crap or at the end of their career. Guys like Darren Jackson, Michael O'Neil and even Brian Hamilton cost a few hundred grand each. Then there was Pat McGinlay twice (Blackpool then Celtic) and add to that the likes of (in n order) Neil Orr, Graham Mitchell, Dave Beaumont, Mickey Weir, Joe Harper, Alan Sneddon, etc. -

I found this .

Transfer fees spent

Team 06/07 07/08 08/09 09/10 10/11 Total
Aberdeen £25,000 £106,000 £453,000 £81,000 £85,000 £750,000
Celtic £5,865,000 £5,598,000 £7,434,000 £8,350,000 £8,150,000 £35,397,000
Dundee Utd £650,000 £53,000 £69,000 £52,800 £15,300 £840,100
Dunfermline £48,400 £0 £39,000 £0 £20,560 £107,960
Hearts £1,188,000 £1,180,000 £176,000 £450,000 £0 £2,994,000
Hibernian £240,000 £490,000 £166,000 £540,000 £102,000 £1,538,000
Inverness £80,000 £66,000 £56,000 £0 £0 £202,000
Kilmarnock £30,000 £10,000 £20,000 £0 £88,000 £148,000
Motherwell £132,000 £180,000 £23,000 £23,000 £0 £358,000
Rangers £3,759,000 £6,994,000 £8,798,000 £7,339,000 £6,420,000 £33,310,000
St Johnstone £44,000 £0 £28,000 £153,120 £0 £225,120
St Mirren £130,000 £0 £0 £30,000 £10,000 £170,000
So yes , I'm miles off with my 3 to 4m guess . As that's over 1.5m in 5 seasons ( might be as much as 15 to 20m in total )

GGTTH

Stevie Reid
16-07-2015, 12:28 PM
Did we not pay something like £400K to Stockport for Martin MacIntosh? Makes Sterling look like a bargain:rolleyes:

Was £250K. Don't know why some people on here seem to remember him so badly, he hardly played for us - got sent off in the last game of the season v Hearts at Tynie in 1999-2000, and didn't get his place back after suspension due to the form of Paul Fenwick in the position that he would have played.

He was by no means a bad player, and indeed we got half our money back when we sold him.

DH1875
16-07-2015, 05:05 PM
How much was crunchie?

Hibernia&Alba
16-07-2015, 05:14 PM
Looks like Benteke on his way to Liverpool. £32.5 million.

Scouse Hibee
16-07-2015, 06:37 PM
Looks like Benteke on his way to Liverpool. £32.5 million.

FFS we just can't help ourselves!

Stevie Reid
16-07-2015, 06:39 PM

Bargain at £2.5M less than Andy Carroll!

HH81
16-07-2015, 06:48 PM
Is Sterling even that good a footballer?

Remember seeing him few times and he struggles to get any power on his shots and gives the ball away most times.

Holmesdale Hibs
16-07-2015, 07:10 PM
Is Sterling even that good a footballer?

Remember seeing him few times and he struggles to get any power on his shots and gives the ball away most times.

I personally rate Sterling at the moment and could see him developing in to a very good player - fast as ****, skilful and gets a reasonable amount of goals/assists. The main thing I like about him is he's very direct and there's not a lot of players like him in the game.

Not suggesting he's worth £49m but given some of the crazy money flying around its no worse than some other recent deals: Torres, Di Maria, most of liverpool and spurs recent signings...

McKenzie
16-07-2015, 07:19 PM

Whoever is in charge of the transfers must be a United fan. It's becoming silly now

Stevie Reid
17-07-2015, 01:49 PM
Delph moving to City as well: -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33571351

easty
17-07-2015, 02:24 PM
Delph moving to City as well: -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33571351

They should have did more to keep Milner, he's far better than Delph.

blackpoolhibs
19-07-2015, 12:54 PM

Sterling and Delph spotted in Manchester today.

weecounty hibby
19-07-2015, 04:46 PM

Everyone just keeps taking the piss out of Liverpool when it comes to pricing transfers. Sterling never worth £49m and Benteke is no where mear £32.5m. Crazy in England and just stone cold bonkers when Liverpool get involved

jdships
19-07-2015, 09:58 PM
Everyone just keeps taking the piss out of Liverpool when it comes to pricing transfers. Sterling never worth £49m and Benteke is no where mear £32.5m. Crazy in England and just stone cold bonkers when Liverpool get involved

So you think Man City/Man Utd/Chelsea et al are buying players with Tesco Vouchers ?
Liverpool are no better or worse than any other English PL team :rolleyes:

Unseen work
19-07-2015, 10:17 PM
I don't get why people are surprised at the amount of money spend to players in the premiership etc, every club is spending a lot of money. Sterling is a young, extremely talented player with a lot of potential, the fact he is English adds a good couple of million on as they need a certain number in there squad.

I think he will get a game and be an important player, I rate him much higher than Jesus navas.

Personally I really like Fabian Delph but think a move to Liverpool would of been a better option, can't see him featuring much. But this move will set him for life, and if it doesn't work he will end up back at villa on more than he originally was

weecounty hibby
20-07-2015, 03:44 AM
So you think Man City/Man Utd/Chelsea et al are buying players with Tesco Vouchers ?
Liverpool are no better or worse than any other English PL team :rolleyes:
No but the teams you mention happen to win the league whereas Liverpool don't even come close, so thanks for backing up my argument. Id insert a sarcastic smilie like the ones you use all the time when you being the fountain of all knowledge disagree with someone but Im using a crap old phone so I cant

HoboHarry
20-07-2015, 03:46 AM
No but the teams you mention happen to win the league whereas Liverpool don't even come close, so thanks for backing up my argument. Id insert a sarcastic smilie like the ones you use all the time when you being the fountain of all knowledge disagree with someone but Im using a crap old phone so I cant
That's not really true though is it? Wasn't it the season before last that they only lost the league on the last day of the season? That's coming pretty damn close in my view.....

Pete
20-07-2015, 04:20 AM
I don't get why people are surprised at the amount of money spend to players in the premiership etc, every club is spending a lot of money. Sterling is a young, extremely talented player with a lot of potential, the fact he is English adds a good couple of million on as they need a certain number in there squad.

I think he will get a game and be an important player, I rate him much higher than Jesus navas.

Personally I really like Fabian Delph but think a move to Liverpool would of been a better option, can't see him featuring much. But this move will set him for life, and if it doesn't work he will end up back at villa on more than he originally was

Good points. To be honest, will £32.5milion be a good deal if Benteke gets Liverpool 20+ goals a season considering how steep prices are going up across the board?

I think Navas has more a ability but he's getting on a bit and IMO just belongs in la liga.

There are so many attacking options at city and those who don't fit will be replaced or benched. It's a risk for anyone apart from the best of the best and Sterling will have a fight on his hands to get into the team and stay there. £49million is nothing to city.

Pete
20-07-2015, 04:34 AM

People are only worth what others are willing to pay for them...and that's the going rate right now. The nationalities and circumstances might be different but the same principle applies. If Manchester United wanted to buy any of these two they would cost the same. I'm not sure how 49million is taking the piss out of Liverpool.

It's not just one or two clubs pushing up prices, it's the big guns in England and the select few with money in Europe who are all inflating the market. They are being funded by worldwide demand so I can't ever see the bubble bursting.

Future17
21-07-2015, 10:11 AM
Sterling scores within 3 mins on debut. :greengrin

theonlywayisup
22-02-2020, 11:21 AM
Sterling talking up a move to Real Madrid.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51590440

He's not exactly saying "come and get me", but talks about them being a "fantastic club" and "I'm always open to challenges".

w pilton hibby
22-02-2020, 11:39 AM

He's not exactly saying "come and get me", but talks about them being a "fantastic club" and "I'm always open to challenges".

Kamberi-esque stuff!

The 90+2
22-02-2020, 12:31 PM

I’m delighted he thinks Madrid are a fantastic club. 👍

Just_Jimmy
22-02-2020, 01:51 PM
Posts at the top of this thread are classic.

Egg on face stuff.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

22-02-2020, 01:56 PM
Posts at the top of this thread are classic.

Egg on face stuff.

Why? 50m for sterling was ludicrous at the time

Michael
22-02-2020, 02:15 PM
Why? 50m for sterling was ludicrous at the time

Not for Man City it wasn't.

Just_Jimmy
22-02-2020, 02:17 PM
Why? 50m for sterling was ludicrous at the timeNot for city and he was clearly a excellent talent with loads of development potential.

J-C
22-02-2020, 04:32 PM
If City are bombed out of European football for 2-3 years then he's right to want a move, these players want top competition every year.

jacomo
22-02-2020, 06:22 PM
If City are bombed out of European football for 2-3 years then he's right to want a move, these players want top competition every year.

Indeed. I will of course shed a tear for po little Man City, whose only crime was to dream too big... yeah right.