PDA

View Full Version : World Cup 2018 qualifying

Diclonius
09-07-2015, 01:23 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_(UEFA)

Scotland in pot 3 and Wales in pot 1. Mad.

This means we could theoretically have the following groups (worst or best case scenario):

Wales
Iceland
Scotland
Faroe Islands
Moldova
San Marino

Germany
Italy
Scotland
Turkey
Finland
Georgia

I'm betting on the latter..

Billy Whizz
09-07-2015, 01:26 PM

This means we could theoretically have the following groups (worst or best case scenario):

Wales
Iceland
Scotland
Faroe Islands
Moldova
San Marino

Germany
Italy
Scotland
Turkey
Finland
Georgia

What's the situation with qualifying. Top 2 go through?

Diclonius
09-07-2015, 01:28 PM
What's the situation with qualifying. Top 2 go through?

The nine winners play each other and the eight best runners up play each other.

SlickShoes
09-07-2015, 01:34 PM
If we had been in pot2 I think we could have had a great chance, no doubt we will get a horrific group as usual due to our low seeding and have a glorious failure of not qualifying but playing OK.

liamh2202
09-07-2015, 01:36 PM

Wales
Iceland
Scotland
Faroe Islands
Moldova
San Marino

Germany
Italy
Scotland
Turkey
Finland
Georgia

Did that last pointless friendly cost us pot 2?

SlickShoes
09-07-2015, 01:38 PM
Did that last pointless friendly cost us pot 2?

Nah, I think to reach pot 2 we would have had to beat Ireland as well which we failed to do.

Billy Whizz
09-07-2015, 01:41 PM
The nine winners play each other and the eight best runners up play each other.

Thanks, sorry I should have read the link

Smartie
09-07-2015, 01:43 PM
If we're ever going to qualify for a World Cup I think we'd be most likely to do it in a nightmare group.

We tend to have a good home record, even against the very best yet we drop points in silly games.

You'd probably want someone to romp the group, everyone else to take points off each other and for us to sneak into second and win a 2 legged play-off.

I know we've improved but I'm not yet at the point where I'm comfortable with the idea of us going to Wales and Iceland etc and picking up 3 points.

iwasthere1972
09-07-2015, 07:50 PM

Wales
Iceland
Scotland
Faroe Islands
Moldova
San Marino

Germany
Italy
Scotland
Turkey
Finland
Georgia

Wales are up to 10 in the world rankings. Above Spain.

That's bonkers.

Nando™
09-07-2015, 07:54 PM
Nah, I think to reach pot 2 we would have had to beat Ireland as well which we failed to do.

Actually we never failed to do that, the points were taken from us by moronic officials.

On topic, Wales were in pot 6 for the last World Cup draw. Mental.

hfc rd
09-07-2015, 07:57 PM

That's bonkers.

And Chile who won the Copa America last week!

Sir David Gray
09-07-2015, 08:10 PM

That's bonkers.

I saw that earlier.

There's no danger they're the 10th best side in the world.

iwasthere1972
09-07-2015, 08:20 PM
U
I saw that earlier.

Here's the explanation.

At first glance, it’s difficult to understand quite how Wales have managed to enter the top 10 of FIFA’s world rankings for the first time when they were 117th less than four years ago.

While their run of just one defeat in their last 11 games has rightly drawn praise, three of the six victories they have enjoyed in that sequence came against Cyprus, Macedonia and Andorra, countries placed 85th, 105th and 202nd respectively on the latest list.

They also beat Israel who are 51 on the list. Imagine if they had to play the teams that Scotland have played. Apart from the home win against Belgium they haven't really done that much. Certainly not to be 10th.

Billy Whizz
09-07-2015, 08:24 PM
Here's the explanation.

At first glance, it’s difficult to understand quite how Wales have managed to enter the top 10 of FIFA’s world rankings for the first time when they were 117th less than four years ago.

While their run of just one defeat in their last 11 games has rightly drawn praise, three of the six victories they have enjoyed in that sequence came against Cyprus, Macedonia and Andorra, countries placed 85th, 105th and 202nd respectively on the latest list.

Still doesn't add up, you get lower points for beating the poorest teams.

Scottie
I saw that earlier.

The FIFA rankings are as ****ed up as FIFA itself.

bingo70
Here's the explanation.

They've had some excellent results along the way as well though have they not?

Can only think of Belgium off the top of my head but think they've had some other notable results. Don't agree they're the 10th best team in the world but they deserve a lot of credit for producing a lot of good players recently so fair play to them.

nellio
09-07-2015, 08:30 PM
See, no one had a problem when we were below the likes of Haiti, Guatemala etc but all of a sudden now we're in the top 10 they are all wrong? Works Both ways because at that time we would have hammered all those teams outside the top 100 but having just beat the number 2 ranked team in the world and drawn with them away and also beating isreal away with ease we don't deserve to be there?? They rankings aren't ideal but credit where it's due. This is the best Welsh team I've seen in my lifetime and the rankings reflect that.

Nando™
09-07-2015, 08:34 PM
See, no one had a problem when we were below the likes of Haiti, Guatemala etc but all of a sudden now we're in the top 10 they are all wrong? Works Both ways because at that time we would have hammered all those teams outside the top 100 but having just beat the number 2 ranked team in the world and drawn with them away and also beating isreal away with ease we don't deserve to be there?? They rankings aren't ideal but credit where it's due. This is the best Welsh team I've seen in my lifetime and the rankings reflect that.

No, absolutely not. Wales are not, and are nowhere even close to being, a top 10 team.

iwasthere1972
09-07-2015, 08:35 PM

The rankings are rank. Don't think anyone is not giving Wales credit for their recent string of results but no way they are 10th best in the world. Yes they beat Israel away but they are meant to be 51st best team in the world so they're crap.

Sir David Gray
09-07-2015, 08:38 PM

I don't think anyone's saying that Wales haven't done well recently and I'm quite sure it is the best Welsh team in your lifetime.

However I don't believe for a second that Wales are the tenth best side in the world.

Sorry.

Pretty Boy
09-07-2015, 08:59 PM
I don't think anyone's saying that Wales haven't done well recently and I'm quite sure it is the best Welsh team in your lifetime.

However I don't believe for a second that Wales are the tenth best side in the world.

Sorry.

Yep.

I could probably rattle 15-20 teams of the top of my head I'd fancy to beat Wales, although one of them would probably have been Belgium so what do I know?

cabbageandribs1875
09-07-2015, 09:27 PM
wales 10th in the rankings ? seriously, summit not right

oh aye, and how the heck did they end up in a group with(other than Belgium)

Israel
Cyprus
Bosnia and herze
Andorra

why ? how ? ffs jammy gits :bitchy:

Smartie
09-07-2015, 09:39 PM

Are they really the best team in your lifetime?

At the moment they have Bale and Ramsey who are world class and a supporting act of half-decent players.

That's the same as I remember Wales as having been all of my life (I am 37). They've always had some decent players and the best team I can remember is the first team I can remember that had Rush, Hughes, Southall and Kevin Ratcliffe in it.

Since then they have always had some stars (Giggs, Bellamy, Speed etc) but they've always had a few "iffy" players making up the numbers.

Oh, and I thought the ratings were crap when Wales were in the bottom pot - I wanted Scotland to avoid them like the plague. They're still crap now they're ranked so highly and I would love it for Scotland to draw them as a top seed.

hfc rd
09-07-2015, 09:39 PM

No one is mainly dissing Wales. They have done really well in a group that they should ideally do well in and they have, so credit where it's due. But, sorry no way are they the 10th best football nation in the world. Other than just the the draw and win against Belgium, who else notable have they beaten or drawn with since last year? The rankings are just as f***** up as FIFA.

Danderhall Hibs
09-07-2015, 10:03 PM
Farcical. Wales aren't a team anyway, it's a one man band. Break him you break them.

Pretty Boy
09-07-2015, 10:18 PM
Farcical. Wales aren't a team anyway, it's a one man band. Break him you break them.

Agreed.

Aaron Ramsey is a cracking player.

LancsHibs
09-07-2015, 10:20 PM
Credit where it's due Wales have done really well but EVERYBODY will be wanting to draw them as their pot 1 team!

Hibrandenburg
10-07-2015, 05:23 AM
The seeding system is designed to help make sure all the big boys get to eat from the big plate and make sure most of the wee teams are filtered out before it becomes meaningful. It's a footballing class system and needs doing away with.

Speedy
10-07-2015, 06:47 AM

A couple of years ago that was true but now they have a strong 6 or 7 players.

nellio
10-07-2015, 10:03 AM
Definitley the best side. When we had Southall, SaundersHughes etc we were good but just not good enough (quite) but the performances from this team are superb at the moment and we have a real team ethic. Im confident our current side would beat any Welsh side from the last 30 years.

At the end of the day it was deemed fair when we were about 120th in the world because we were rubbibh but not deemed to be fair now? It is it the case and i've got it wrong it it was the case that when we were 120th we didnt deserve to be down there at the time? If so then thats fair enough. The point im making is you cant have it both ways and say that we deserved to be ranked lower than Haiti and other countries we were clearly better than at that time but not up the top end now. I genuinley think if we played Spain etc now we would be competitive against them. We're unbeaten in 12 games or somthing at the moment. We do have one outstanding player in Bale but we also have Rambo who is phenominal and Ashley williams as well at athe back. Those 3 players are the core of our team and the rest of the team is built around them. We also have the likey of ledley is is playing regularly in a good palace team and Allen at Liverpool. Bale is the talisman no doubt but we have other good players too.

iwasthere1972
10-07-2015, 10:24 AM
Definitley the best side. When we had Southall, SaundersHughes etc we were good but just not good enough (quite) but the performances from this team are superb at the moment and we have a real team ethic. Im confident our current side would beat any Welsh side from the last 30 years.

At the end of the day it was deemed fair when we were about 120th in the world because we were rubbibh but not deemed to be fair now? It is it the case and i've got it wrong it it was the case that when we were 120th we didnt deserve to be down there at the time? If so then thats fair enough. The point im making is you cant have it both ways and say that we deserved to be ranked lower than Haiti and other countries we were clearly better than at that time but not up the top end now. I genuinley think if we played Spain etc now we would be competitive against them. We're unbeaten in 12 games or somthing at the moment. We do have one outstanding player in Bale but we also have Rambo who is phenominal and Ashley williams as well at athe back. Those 3 players are the core of our team and the rest of the team is built around them. We also have the likey of ledley is is playing regularly in a good palace team and Allen at Liverpool. Bale is the talisman no doubt but we have other good players too.

I'm not even sure that many folk (except the Welsh people) would have noticed that you were ranked 120th or whatever it was and below the likes of Haiti etc. Couldn't see how that would be a talking point on here. When you're suddenly in the top 10 (Which I like to look at just out of interest) and find that over a short period Wales have suddenly jumped up to 10th. Yes you've had some good results including a win and a draw against Belgium but none of the other results, even an away draw against Israel, would in my opinion put you in the top ten.

It's not your fault obviously but the rankings are rank to say the least.

Hope we get you in the draw if you are pot 1. Certainly make our chances of qualifying that much better as we normally get Germany, France, Spain or Italy. Sometime two of them.

Good luck anyway.

nellio
10-07-2015, 11:03 AM
I'm not even sure that many folk (except the Welsh people) would have noticed that you were ranked 120th or whatever it was and below the likes of Haiti etc. Couldn't see how that would be a talking point on here. When you're suddenly in the top 10 (Which I like to look at just out of interest) and find that over a short period Wales have suddenly jumped up to 10th. Yes you've had some good results including a win and a draw against Belgium but none of the other results, even an away draw against Israel, would in my opinion put you in the top ten.

It's not your fault obviously but the rankings are rank to say the least.

Hope we get you in the draw if you are pot 1. Certainly make our chances of qualifying that much better as we normally get Germany, France, Spain or Italy. Sometime two of them.

Good luck anyway.

Fair comments pal. I did used to get it tight when I first moved here. We were in the same group as Scotland and were in the bottom pot at the time and were about 120th when the groups were drawn. We then wen;t on to beat you twice (just thought i'd mention that :greengrin) so I managed to give some back at that point!

One thing that we lack is the passion of the support. Since I've been living here the one thing i've noticed is the passion and support of the tartan army. You guys desrve to go to a major tournament again and Scotland are without doubt my second team internationally so really hope you can get out of your group and make it to France.

Bad Martini
10-07-2015, 11:14 AM
In regards Wales, they should never been as low as 120th, any more than they should be anywhere NEAR as high as 10th in the world. That is just insane stone radge mentalness and then some.

Nae offence to our resident welshman but there's no way Wales are the 10th best team in the world.

Going on results, I recall the group of death we had with Italy, Ukraine etc. Beating all these teams and other good teams in the not so distant past done nowt for us really (granted McBertie ****ed it all up too) but these rankings are largely, bollocks.

iwasthere1972
10-07-2015, 11:38 AM
In regards Wales, they should never been as low as 120th, any more than they should be anywhere NEAR as high as 10th in the world. That is just insane stone radge mentalness and then some.

Nae offence to our resident welshman but there's no way Wales are the 10th best team in the world.

Going on results, I recall the group of death we had with Italy, Ukraine etc. Beating all these teams and other good teams in the not so distant past done nowt for us really (granted McBertie ****ed it all up too) but these rankings are largely, bollocks.

Whatever happened to END OF? :wink:

nellio
10-07-2015, 11:42 AM
Have just seen this article

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/wales-10th-what-farce-how-9624691

:thumbsup:Just to ram the point home ha ha!

iwasthere1972
10-07-2015, 11:49 AM

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/wales-10th-what-farce-how-9624691

The system is finally working properly. Aye now it suits you. :agree:

Mathias Jack
10-07-2015, 01:02 PM
The seeding system is designed to help make sure all the big boys get to eat from the big plate and make sure most of the wee teams are filtered out before it becomes meaningful. It's a footballing class system and needs doing away with.

In international and club football the big sides have always been protected, it's the footballing equivalent of the Bullingdon Club; 100% agree.

But Nellio, to say you deserve to be in the world's top 10 after wins against some pretty average sides (with the exception of Belgium) is absolute nonsense. After winning the Copa America, Chile will be bumping you out there anwyays ;-)

That said, all the best for the rest of the qualifying campaign. Let's hope Scotland and Wales can both qualify for a place at Europe's top table next summer!

Iggy Pope
10-07-2015, 01:16 PM
Wales might be this and might be that. Scotland have a ***** habit of not being able to beat them though.

nellio
10-07-2015, 05:20 PM
Wales might be this and might be that. Scotland have a ***** habit of not being able to beat them though.

Aye even Earnie managed hattick against you lot!

HibbyAndy
10-07-2015, 05:30 PM

If the linesman never WRONGLY ruled out Steven Fletchers goal in the Millenium Scotland would have been 2-0 up and home and dry.. It wasn't even a close decision Fletcher was WELL onside.

nellio
10-07-2015, 07:06 PM
If the linesman never WRONGLY ruled out Steven Fletchers goal in the Millenium Scotland would have been 2-0 up and home and dry.. It wasn't even a close decision Fletcher was WELL onside.

Fair point but still no guarantee you would have won but It would have been very difficult for us to get back into it.

edinburghhibee
11-07-2015, 10:29 AM

I was at that game and I thought that the decision was given because the linesman thought the cross had gone out for a goal kick... Your maybe right tho. Regardless it was a shocking decision and bale showed why he's one of the best players in the world. Wonderful strike for the winner 😩

GreenArmyyy!
11-07-2015, 11:18 AM
Wales becoming at footballing super power 😂😂😂 heard it all now!

Frazerbob
11-07-2015, 11:23 AM
Some of our worst performances and results in recent times have come against Wales. Some real shockers.

Danderhall Hibs
11-07-2015, 11:39 AM
Some of our worst performances and results in recent times have come against Wales. Some real shockers.

But they're a world superpower so maybe the results weren't that bad after all?

CorrieHibs
11-07-2015, 12:20 PM
I can't believe that Poland are 30th. Like Wales they have beaten the top seed in their group Germany. Apart from Belgium who have Wales even beat?
Spain had a bad WC but they are better than 12th....total joke. Can see Scotland getting Germany and France in the qualifiers 😞.

pacorosssco
11-07-2015, 12:36 PM

Kin ba