PDA

View Full Version : CONCACAF Gold Cup

JohnStephens91
08-07-2015, 01:32 AM
The CONCACAF Gold Cup got underway earlier, Panama were held by Haiti in a 1-1 draw.

The USA play Honduras next, Claros is on the bench. For those interested in the UK, the coverage is on BT Sport. Should be a good tournament!

JohnStephens91
08-07-2015, 02:24 AM
Half-time: USA 1-0 Honduras

Honduras definitely the better side, but a Clint Dempsey header gives the USA a half-time lead.

JohnStephens91
08-07-2015, 03:39 AM
Full-time: USA 2-1 Honduras

Dempsey with another header gave the USMNT a 2-0 lead, but Honduras, the better side, gave Klinsmann's team a scare when Discua hammered past Guzan. No Claros for Honduras either.

GreenLake
08-07-2015, 05:35 AM
Full-time: USA 2-1 Honduras

Dempsey with another header gave the USMNT a 2-0 lead, but Honduras, the better side, gave Klinsmann's team a scare when Discua hammered past Guzan. No Claros for Honduras either.

What game were you watching?

Future17
08-07-2015, 07:12 AM
I fancy the US to win this tournament relatively easily given the form they've been in (albeit their team selection has been varying a lot recently).

Mexico look the only real threat but are now missing Hernandez who is injured.

JohnStephens91
08-07-2015, 11:28 AM
What game were you watching?

USA v Honduras :wink:

Nah, in all seriousness I felt completely underwhelmed by that USMNT performance. Honduras started off better and then continued to threaten when the States were on top. It was fairly even in the second half, when I thought the USMNT were poor in open play, then Dempsey doubled the lead from a set-piece - the only way we looked likely to score.

Discua scored with about 20 minutes to go, and then it was a solid effort in the final third to secure the three points. I felt that a loss for Honduras was harsh given how closely they ran us. The way they pressed up high in the initial stages of the match was a welcome surprise given that they started with a 5-4-1 formation.

GreenLake
08-07-2015, 12:35 PM
USA v Honduras :wink:

Nah, in all seriousness I felt completely underwhelmed by that USMNT performance. Honduras started off better and then continued to threaten when the States were on top. It was fairly even in the second half, when I thought the USMNT were poor in open play, then Dempsey doubled the lead from a set-piece - the only way we looked likely to score.

Discua scored with about 20 minutes to go, and then it was a solid effort in the final third to secure the three points. I felt that a loss for Honduras was harsh given how closely they ran us. The way they pressed up high in the initial stages of the match was a welcome surprise given that they started with a 5-4-1 formation.

The US team played badly due to Klinsmann having a gigantic ego and wanting to have a bigger effect on the game than the players. Omar Gonzalez is from Dallas where the game was played so he didn't play him and put on the novice Alvarado instead. The team looked shaky in the back four right from the start. Klinsmann made a big point about who is in control of team selection yet again (Donavon World Cup snub).

A good team should have beaten the US and I think this match showed how poor Honduras are. USA mistakes gave them chances but they didn't have a player like Dempsey to take them. I was as sad that Claros didn't play as the Dallas people were not to see Gonzalez on the pitch. That goal by their #7 was rare bit of magic in a dull game.

Dempsey 2 - 1 Honduras

JohnStephens91
08-07-2015, 02:51 PM
The US team played badly due to Klinsmann having a gigantic ego and wanting to have a bigger effect on the game than the players. Omar Gonzalez is from Dallas where the game was played so he didn't play him and put on the novice Alvarado instead. The team looked shaky in the back four right from the start. Klinsmann made a big point about who is in control of team selection yet again (Donavon World Cup snub).

A good team should have beaten the US and I think this match showed how poor Honduras are. USA mistakes gave them chances but they didn't have a player like Dempsey to take them. I was as sad that Claros didn't play as the Dallas people were not to see Gonzalez on the pitch. That goal by their #7 was rare bit of magic in a dull game.

Dempsey 2 - 1 Honduras

I agree regarding the selection of Alvarado. I was covering the recent game against Holland in Amsterdam and he was at fault for losing Huntelaar, then the replacement Orozco did not fair much better - I felt Gonzalez should have played alongside Brooks. I asked Jurgen last month about players who have experience of playing in big matches in Europe, his response included Alvarado and noted that "100,000 fans watched him in the CONCACAF Champions League final", sadly Montreal Impact aren't an international team. I think he will come good but needs time to adjust to the international scene. Jurgen just kept faith with him from the two matches in Europe, so I feel the criticism of him is perhaps a bit harsh.

I'm also not 100% sold on Timmy Chandler, I feel Geoff Cameron plays better for the side than he does. He is solid enough for Frankfurt, but does not seem to translate it into performances for the USMNT. This left DeAndre Yedlin, who is now being deployed as a winger, to cover for him. Hopefully when a sterner test comes around, such as Costa Rica or Mexico, then the side will be more settled going into that game.

wearethehibs
08-07-2015, 04:27 PM
Went into a Ladbrokes and a William Hills a couple of days ago, asked for odds on USA to win the Gold Cup. Both bookies had no idea what I was on about, with 1 even asking if I meant the Copa America, both had to phone head office to try and find odds. They weren't offering odds on it.

Obviously not as big a competition as I thought.

Found odds online at least but they weren't really worth a small bet, USA massive favourites with Mexico just behind them.

The_Horde
08-07-2015, 09:02 PM
Was Jorge playing or is he in la manga with the squad? :wink:

Mcpakeisgod
08-07-2015, 09:23 PM
😐

JohnStephens91
08-07-2015, 11:59 PM
Went into a Ladbrokes and a William Hills a couple of days ago, asked for odds on USA to win the Gold Cup. Both bookies had no idea what I was on about, with 1 even asking if I meant the Copa America, both had to phone head office to try and find odds. They weren't offering odds on it.

Obviously not as big a competition as I thought.

Found odds online at least but they weren't really worth a small bet, USA massive favourites with Mexico just behind them.

CONCACAF is like almost every continental federation, in that they have their footballing 'powerhouses' if you will. These are obviously USA and Mexico, then just beneath those two are Costa Rica and Honduras, arguably Panama too who are relatively strong there. Beneath these five the quality diminishes into Caribbean nations, small nations like Guatemala and Canada who have not developed a strong side for years despite the size of their population.

I'll be honest and say I'm surprised that the matches are being broadcast on BT Sport, I'll only be staying up to watch the USA games, but keeping tabs on the other games. There's not a huge appeal over here to watch it, but it saves me trying to find a stream online.

HUTCHYHIBBY
09-07-2015, 01:11 AM
Can we just call USMNT USA? Never noticed a mention of SMNT or EMNT in football reporting. Oops, soccer, my bad! ;-)

JohnStephens91
09-07-2015, 01:14 PM
Can we just call USMNT USA? Never noticed a mention of SMNT or EMNT in football reporting. Oops, soccer, my bad! ;-)

That's the official way they are addressed by US Soccer, so I always tend to use it without thinking. Could always pretend they are the United States Mutant Ninja Turtles :wink:

JohnStephens91
09-07-2015, 01:28 PM
Group B saw Costa Rica take on Jamaica, who played in the Copa America where Cavani said they were like an African team, and that match ended in a 2-2 draw. Jamaica went 1-0 up before Costa Rica scored twice with 5 minutes to go 2-1 up into the break. The Caribbean side then scored after the break through Jobi McAnuff to earn a point.

In the other game, El Salvador and Canada drew 0-0.

Group C starts tonight/tomorrow morning. Trinidad & Tobago play Guatemala and the later kick off is Mexico v Cuba.

Future17
11-07-2015, 04:04 PM

That's what happens when your women's team is more successful than your men's one...

JohnStephens91
11-07-2015, 04:29 PM
In Group C Mexico thrashed Cuba 6-0, some of the Cuban players have yet to obtain a visa to enter the States, and at least one has defected to the USA when he arrived. The other game in the group finished 3-1 to Trinidad and Tobago, who beat Guatemala.

Last night Honduras and Panama drew 1-1, Jorge Claros played in the game for Honduras from the start.

The USA (not USMNT :greengrin) defeated Haiti 1-0 and were again, fortunate to come away with the win. Clint Demspey scored from Gyasi Zardes' cut-back a couple of minutes after the break. They've qualified for the quarterfinal of the tournament in the process.