PDA

View Full Version : NHC Pat Fenlon wins a Europa League Game

InterviewLoI
08-07-2015, 12:36 AM
Hey guys,

I'm back with another ex-Hibee interview, Pat Fenlon's Shamrock Rovers just won against a Luxembourgish outfit. Interesting views from defender David Webster around the 2:05 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLHkYpxiPlo

Also, we now offer full 1080p video!
Please share, and as always, feedback would be appreciated. I can't wait to get back over to see Hibs, I'm covering the Dumbarton game!

MWHIBBIES
08-07-2015, 12:56 AM
Good work Pat, keep it up :aok:

Keith_M
08-07-2015, 06:31 AM
I really wish you hadn't raised the topic of Fenlon and European matches, as it still makes my blood boil.

Elephant Stone
08-07-2015, 06:55 AM
I really wish you hadn't raised the topic of Fenlon and European matches, as it still makes my blood boil.

And don't even get me started on Mowbrary and Europe. Dnipro and Malmo are utter mugs.

Winston Ingram
08-07-2015, 07:14 AM

This. His tactics and his decision to do absolutely **** all to stem the flow in that game demonstrated the man's total incompetence. Turning point for me:grr:

Winston Ingram
08-07-2015, 07:17 AM
And don't even get me started on Mowbrary and Europe. Dnipro and Malmo are utter mugs.

As in Dnipro who reached the Europa League Final last season?

TowerHibs
08-07-2015, 07:31 AM
As in Dnipro who reached the Europa League Final last season?

Whoosh

Still 0-7 is unacceptable in anyone's book

Baldy Foghorn
08-07-2015, 07:35 AM

0-7 at home suggests to me PF was the utter mug

Lago
08-07-2015, 09:58 AM
Time to move on I think.

IberianHibernian
08-07-2015, 10:24 AM
Tim Clancy and Patrick Cregg in Shamrock Rovers team last night . And ex Hibs youngster Gareth McAffrey is in their squad .

InterviewLoI
08-07-2015, 10:50 AM
Tim Clancy and Patrick Cregg in Shamrock Rovers team last night . And ex Hibs youngster Gareth McAffrey is in their squad .

Cregg actually captained the team!

jacomo
08-07-2015, 11:07 AM
Cregg actually captained the team!

Well done to him and the team, and Pat of course. PF is a decent guy, wish him well.

weecounty hibby
08-07-2015, 11:15 AM
Well done to him and the team, and Pat of course. PF is a decent guy, wish him well.

He was a guy who tried his very best for Hibs, unfortunately his best wasn't good enough. Took the club to his heart, still speaks very highly of us never has a bad word to say about us and gets some stick on here that others who deserve it more manage to dodge. He gets about the same amount of abuse as Butcher and Malpas and more than Calderwood!!

lord bunberry
08-07-2015, 11:23 AM
Good on ya paddy boy. I would love to see his team have a decent run in the competition.

Smartie
08-07-2015, 12:00 PM
Petrie hung Fenlon out to dry in those games.

Knowing that the Malmo game was coming round when it was, we should have been prepared for it like we are now prepared for next season. We knew Griffiths and Doyle were leaving. We knew we were short at centre-half. We knew that major work was needed to rebuild the squad. We all knew what was coming against Malmo. I'm not convinced that at any time Fenlon would have thought that James Collins, Rowan Vine and Michael Nelson were the answer, but that they were the ones given to him.

We didn't have anything like enough first-team ready players able to play in that game. Fenlon had to apply sticking plasters everywhere during his time with us to try and get something out of the omnishambles he inherited from Calderwood. It wasn't sustainable but just about kept us going through his time with us.

Fenlon could only p$$s with the c$$k he had. No tactical manoeuvring would have prevented that utterly inept shower of impostors from being pumped by Malmo.

I feel sorry for Fenlon, it was 100% a poisoned chalice being at Easter Road at that time with Petrie as chairman and Calderwoods mess to clean up.

I wish him every success to be honest. the fact that he has retained his dignity and remains magnanimous when talking about us is huge credit to the man.

Although it is great to have the people in charge of the club that we have now. You wouldn't expect us to get caught out the same way under Stubbs/Dempster.

givescotlandfreedom
08-07-2015, 12:01 PM
Well done, Pat. Good guy.

Thecat23
08-07-2015, 12:04 PM

Knowing that the Malmo game was coming round when it was, we should have been prepared for it like we are now prepared for next season. We knew Griffiths and Doyle were leaving. We knew we were short at centre-half. We knew that major work was needed to rebuild the squad. We all knew what was coming against Malmo. I'm not convinced that at any time Fenlon would have thought that James Collins, Rowan Vine and Michael Nelson were the answer, but that they were the ones given to him.

We didn't have anything like enough first-team ready players able to play in that game. Fenlon had to apply sticking plasters everywhere during his time with us to try and get something out of the omnishambles he inherited from Calderwood. It wasn't sustainable but just about kept us going through his time with us.

Fenlon could only p$$s with the c$$k he had. No tactical manoeuvring would have prevented that utterly inept shower of impostors from being pumped by Malmo.

I feel sorry for Fenlon, it was 100% a poisoned chalice being at Easter Road at that time with Petrie as chairman and Calderwoods mess to clean up.

I wish him every success to be honest. the fact that he has retained his dignity and remains magnanimous when talking about us is huge credit to the man.

Although it is great to have the people in charge of the club that we have now. You wouldn't expect us to get caught out the same way under Stubbs/Dempster.

He did play a part in it yeah, but Petrie didn't play those tactics and try to stop them when it went to 4 or 5 nil. Pat's inexperience showed in that game and it was a shocker of a result!

As for Pat himself I have nothing against the man but I also have zero interest in what he does now or his teams. I'm only interested in Hibs!

Forza Fred
09-07-2015, 01:40 AM
He was a guy who tried his very best for Hibs, unfortunately his best wasn't good enough. Took the club to his heart, still speaks very highly of us never has a bad word to say about us and gets some stick on here that others who deserve it more manage to dodge. He gets about the same amount of abuse as Butcher and Malpas and more than Calderwood!!

This.

He did his best to contribute to the Hibs cause, and I have no doubt he wishes that his contribution could have been more successful.

However, he should not be demonised because he did his best.

By that logic, every young laddie who was lucky enough to be signed by Hibs, but who eventually was released would be copping abuse too.

All ANY of us can do, is to try one's very best, and I don't think PF can be accused of not having given it his best shot.

I wish him nothing but the best for the future.

Beefster
09-07-2015, 06:38 AM
We're about to start our second consecutive season in the Championship. Other than Butcher, Fenlon played the biggest part in that but he's a 'good guy' who 'tried his best' so hey ho, **** happens. All the best, Paddy, you were utterly disastrous for us but you tried really really hard.

Forza Fred
09-07-2015, 07:24 AM
We're about to start our second consecutive season in the Championship. Other than Butcher, Fenlon played the biggest part in that but he's a 'good guy' who 'tried his best' so hey ho, **** happens. All the best, Paddy, you were utterly disastrous for us but you tried really really hard.

Exactly.

I don't think anyone thinks he genuinely did anything other than his best.

Just like a player like me would do their best for Hibs, but obviously be found wanting at this level, the argument and questions should surely be asked of the person who picked me in the first place.

No?

jacomo
09-07-2015, 07:46 AM
He did play a part in it yeah, but Petrie didn't play those tactics and try to stop them when it went to 4 or 5 nil. Pat's inexperience showed in that game and it was a shocker of a result!

As for Pat himself I have nothing against the man but I also have zero interest in what he does now or his teams. I'm only interested in Hibs!

Obviously Hibs is our first priority, but no issue with taking an interest in people who have been associated with our club.

The_Horde
09-07-2015, 08:12 AM
Pat fenlon was a ***** manager who signed dross like Nelson and Rowan Vine.

He had massive hand in our relegation and never once understood the term 'hibs class'

superfurryhibby
09-07-2015, 08:30 AM
Exactly.

Just like a player like me would do their best for Hibs, but obviously be found wanting at this level, the argument and questions should surely be asked of the person who picked me in the first place.

No?

Totally agree. If he was a knob ended **** like that **** Butcher, I could see why folks on here might feel contempt. As it was he was merely a symptom not the disease, eh No Rod.

Winston Ingram
09-07-2015, 08:35 AM
Whoosh

Still 0-7 is unacceptable in anyone's book

Not saying it wasn't. Just questioning Dnipro being described as utter mugs.

Winston Ingram
09-07-2015, 08:42 AM

Petrie didn't do him any favours prior but Fenlon was responsible for the result. We played 442 an had a good first 10 minutes but the next 10 their extra man in midfield really took hold and should have had a couple before they scored, then all of a sudden we were 4 down at HT. Surely at that point he'd have thought we're 6 down on agg and with 45 mins to go he'd think i better shore this up before it gets more embarrassing but no, out with the 442 and it remained for the remainder of the game and he calmly watched us ship another 3. He should have been sacked after that game.

SanFranHibs
09-07-2015, 11:11 AM
Time to move on I think.

:agree:

Do other teams (fans) get past getting thrashed 0-7? Even twice in my time.......mmmm, let me think.

Good luck PF.

:flag:

lord bunberry
09-07-2015, 11:25 AM

That's not true. Fenlon inherited a complete mess and was given loan players who couldn't give a **** about hibs to sort it out. He steadied the ship and would've had us in mid table had he seen out his contract. There's no doubt he didn't have enough experience for the hibs job, but the clown before him and the idiot after him along with the incompetent waste of space in the boardroom are the ones to blame for our demise.

Thecat23
09-07-2015, 11:30 AM
Obviously Hibs is our first priority, but no issue with taking an interest in people who have been associated with our club.

If he was a successful manager then yeah maybe I'd keep an eye on how he does elsewhere. But why do we need to know what he's doing with another club now? He wasn't wanted by most by the time he left so it just baffles me why we would want updates?

If folk wanted to take that much an interest you could look up Wiki 😉

Forza Fred
09-07-2015, 11:38 AM
On the subject of the original post....the request by the OP for feedback, can I offer the following hopefully constructive comments.

You have an engaging manner which appears to put your subjects at ease when you question them, this is very difficult to achieve universally, but well done..they must obviously trust you/know you.

Be careful of what every interviewer can be guilty of......allowing ourselves to use repetitive terms when asking questions, and which really add nothing to the question...a few 'obviouslies, and .'I means' creeping in..and if someone doesn't mention it, it will grow.

It did with me until it was pointed out to me.

Other than that, you can gauge from the number of responses, that your subject matter and interview is of interest, and I know I really look forward to your interviews.

Best of luck

TowerHibs
09-07-2015, 11:57 AM
Not saying it wasn't. Just questioning Dnipro being described as utter mugs.

I think he was being sarcastic calling malmo & Dnipro utter mugs (as in we were all on suicide watch getting beat off them when it turns out they are decent European sides at that level)

InterviewLoI
09-07-2015, 01:28 PM
On the subject of the original post....the request by the OP for feedback, can I offer the following hopefully constructive comments.

You have an engaging manner which appears to put your subjects at ease when you question them, this is very difficult to achieve universally, but well done..they must obviously trust you/know you.

Be careful of what every interviewer can be guilty of......allowing ourselves to use repetitive terms when asking questions, and which really add nothing to the question...a few 'obviouslies, and .'I means' creeping in..and if someone doesn't mention it, it will grow.

It did with me until it was pointed out to me.

Other than that, you can gauge from the number of responses, that your subject matter and interview is of interest, and I know I really look forward to your interviews.

Best of luck

Thanks so much man. Obviously, I mean, that's really great to hear 😉😉. I'm going to try to cut out some of those little nervous things and I really appreciate the constructive criticism!

blackpoolhibs
09-07-2015, 07:12 PM
Exactly.

No?

Exactly, Fenlon did hi best but it was not good enough. Petrie should have sacked him after the Malmo fiasco, Fenlon then walked of his on accord, yet Petrie still remains.

:rolleyes:

marinello59
09-07-2015, 07:22 PM
Exactly, Fenlon did hi best but it was not good enough. Petrie should have sacked him after the Malmo fiasco, Fenlon then walked of his on accord, yet Petrie still remains.

:rolleyes:

Petrie should have sacked him after that cup final.

blackpoolhibs
09-07-2015, 08:22 PM

We may have still lost that final, but that prick Thompson made the result as bad as it was. 2-1 or 3-1 and we'd still be gutted but when looking at the players we had, it could have been predicted.

Fenlon should have been punted, the only argument is when. :agree:

Petrie should be nowhere near the club after his many many gaffs. :rolleyes:

silverhibee
09-07-2015, 08:30 PM

He should have never been manager in the first place, that wasn't the man the other 2 had been tasked to pick to be the Hibs manager.

But yes, he should have been sacked after that final and the things that went on in the lead up to the final.

B.H.F.C
09-07-2015, 08:37 PM

This

FitbaFolkKen
09-07-2015, 09:22 PM

No chance, it was a terrible day but getting that shambles of a squad which had been patched up with loanees to the cup final was an achievement in itself.

I often think Pat would have fared better at Eater Road had he just got gubbed in the semi from Aberdeen as he wouldn't have had the monkey on his back for the entirety of his time at ER.

Pretty Boy
09-07-2015, 09:27 PM
No chance, it was a terrible day but getting that shambles of a squad which had been patched up with loanees to the cup final was an achievement in itself.

I often think Pat would have fared better at Eater Road had he just got gubbed in the semi from Aberdeen as he wouldn't have had the monkey on his back for the entirety of his time at ER.

I'd tend to agree that I wouldn't have sacked him after the final.

The monkey on the back was nowt to do with why I wanted him sacked though. Performances were poor, result often likewise, the football was dull, the squad was a mess, there were certainly issues with professionalism and it wasn't getting any better.

The fact the guy who came in after was a total disaster shouldn't excuse Fenlon who was a poor manager for us. For a guy who was so negative in his approach we took a few hefty beatings under him. His SC record papered over a few gaping holes as opposed to the proverbial cracks.

Smartie
09-07-2015, 09:32 PM

The monkey on the back was nowt to do with why I wanted him sacked though. Performances were poor, result often likewise, the football was dull, the squad was a mess, there were certainly issues with professionalism and it wasn't getting any better.

The fact the guy who came in after was a total disaster shouldn't excuse Fenlon who was a poor manager for us. For a guy who was so negative in his approach we took a few hefty beatings under him. His SC record papered over a few gaping holes as opposed to the proverbial cracks.

Whilst the bit in bold is undeniably true, it was unfortunately still an improvement on what we had under Calderwood.

FitbaFolkKen
09-07-2015, 09:34 PM

I liked him, I don't disagree it was his time to go when he did though.

He did his job in the sense of steadying the ship after Calderwood but he could never be a long term answer as sections of the support would never accept him after that final unless he produced something wonderful. A victory against Celtic the following year would have done ;)

Pretty Boy
09-07-2015, 09:38 PM
Whilst the bit in bold is undeniably true, it was unfortunately still an improvement on what we had under Calderwood.

I doubt many would disagree with that.

Smartie
09-07-2015, 09:45 PM
I doubt many would disagree with that.

Which is why I wish folk would cut him a bit of slack.

He inherited an utter shambles, he did his best, he's never bad-mouthed us since he left and his chairman was at utter welt who had no idea how to back a manager properly or run a football club in a professional manner.

And the fans were hardly at their supportive best throughout his tenure either.

I'll tell you what, just thinking about makes me shudder and feel more than a little bit grateful that we have who have in charge of football matters now, even if we are still in the First Division with a moustachioed clown still smirking somewhere inside Easter Road.

Pretty Boy
09-07-2015, 09:58 PM
Which is why I wish folk would cut him a bit of slack.

He inherited an utter shambles, he did his best, he's never bad-mouthed us since he left and his chairman was at utter welt who had no idea how to back a manager properly or run a football club in a professional manner.

And the fans were hardly at their supportive best throughout his tenure either.

I'll tell you what, just thinking about makes me shudder and feel more than a little bit grateful that we have who have in charge of football matters now, even if we are still in the First Division with a moustachioed clown still smirking somewhere inside Easter Road.

The issue I have is he had half a season to assess what was needed, allowing for the fact he could do very little with what he inherited and done a decent job to keep us up. He then had a full pre season to build a side and we started the following season not too badly. Sadly we ran out of steam when it mattered and missed out on the top 6. A decent finish against the other bottom 6 teams counts for nothing with me and let's be honest the SC final performance was piss poor it was just glossed over because it wasn't downright embarrassing as it had been the year before.

What followed was bizarre. We signed James Collins, a forward who clearly needed balls into the box to attack, yet absolutely no effort was made to bring in players capable of doing that. We had full backs who looked terrified to cross the half way line and regularly played with 2 or 3 defensive midfielders yet never looked decent defensively. We used Collins as a target man when he never was, something Bobby Williamson was almost crucified for with Garry O'Connor.

I'm sure there are plenty mitigating circumstances for Fenlons many failings but a fair few of them were of his problems were of his own making.

PeeJay
10-07-2015, 10:35 AM
Any manager of Hibs that loses 1-5 to Hearts in a cup final deserves to be sacked: it really is that simple ...

Andy74
10-07-2015, 10:45 AM
Any manager of Hibs that loses 1-5 to Hearts in a cup final deserves to be sacked: it really is that simple ...

It's not really.

PeeJay
10-07-2015, 10:58 AM
It's not really.

Yeah, well :greengrin- nice to see he won his game in Europe and I think the guy who does the video interviews is doing a decent job ...

Thecat23
10-07-2015, 11:07 AM
It's not really.

Sadly I think it does! Not just to score line but the manner in which the players prepared for the game! even the in house arguing the night before the game between some. Fenlon should have had his players 100% focussed and sadly they just didn't turn up. Granted the ref played a part in this but Hibs for me were second best from the start.

To not do anything about Hearts having two men running down onto Kujabi was criminal. Anyway that's all history now and thankfully we seem to have a better manager who has brought fresh ideas to training proper back room staff and is very well respected in the game which will be a bonus when signing players.