PDA

View Full Version : Are thr Rangers ready

hibees 7062
04-07-2015, 05:27 PM
Are Rangers ready for Hibs?

With Mark Warburton’s Rangers due to meet Hibernian in little over three weeks for the new manager’s maiden bow, it is safe to say the Club could not have had a tougher match with which to introduce the former Brentford boss to the rigours of the Scottish game.

Hibs, March’s convincing victory for McCall’s men at Easter Road aside, had the measure of Rangers throughout last season, and prior to aforementioned home defeat, had racked up 9 goals with only one reply in the league.

True, Rangers opened with a win over Stubbs’ men in the Challenge Cup at Ibrox, but that was before Hibs found their feet and, Hearts obviously aside, were probably the best team in the Championship over the course of the season. Even the playoff win was far from convincing, and while the Easter Road were remarkably impotent up front, it was plain to see they were by far the best team.

This next paragraph was supposed to begin with ‘but Warburton’s new-look Rangers will be refreshed and equipped for the new season…’, however, as is abundantly clear, the new chief is struggling to secure signings to justify any ‘new-look’ label.

Today we have confirmation of ex-Fulham and Swindon town stopper Wes Foderingham arriving (as yet unclear if he is the new number one or just a deputy for Bell), but prior to that only Danny Wilson and Rob Kiernan had been snapped up thus far for instant installation to the first team.

Sadly, right now, it really is more or less the same rubbish that struggled so badly last season, with the Nicky Laws, Nicky Clarks, Marius Zaliukas’ and David Templetons still on the books.

Despite shedding eleven players, Rangers have made nowhere near enough quality signings yet to inspire belief that the standard of product on the pitch will be significantly raised by next season.

Of course, it is early days in the Warburton regime –the poor guy has only been here for 18 days so he gets plenty of slack, but as he has admitted, the Championship is a tough sell.

Even John Eustace is proving a difficult acquisition, as despite two rounds of talks (including as recently as yesterday), the former Derby midfielder still has not joined, and one cannot help wonder if he is using Rangers to alert clubs down south to his availability.

Whatever the result on the 25thin Edinburgh, it is inconceivable that fans will make any judgement on Mark Warburton – he quite simply could not have had a harder match to begin his tenure, and it looks like, at this juncture, he will be mostly using the leftovers from previous regimes with which to do it, unless some excellent work can be done in the next three weeks to bring in quality additions.

Warburton is a great manager, but not a miracle worker. He cannot magic signings out of thin air, nor can he make Nicky Law a player.

If he can, he is even better than we had hoped!

Ibrox Noise

3pm
04-07-2015, 05:39 PM
Written by an arse.

Steve20
04-07-2015, 05:54 PM
Rangers will be favourites for the league. Difficult to see anyone beating them to top spot this time.

If anyone is going to, it will be us. No one else is in the equation outside of Hibs and Rangers.

HoboHarry
04-07-2015, 05:57 PM
Written by an arse.
Based on what? Didn't see much in there to warrant abuse? :confused:

lord bunberry
04-07-2015, 06:02 PM

Rangers fan=arse

3pm
04-07-2015, 06:03 PM

Wasn't written by the OP.

HoboHarry
04-07-2015, 06:04 PM
Rangers fan=arse
Aye, fair enough point. I blame their parents......

Purple & Green
04-07-2015, 06:07 PM
Rangers will be favourites for the league. Difficult to see anyone beating them to top spot this time.

If anyone is going to, it will be us. No one else is in the equation outside of Hibs and Rangers.

I think St Mirren will be worth watching - Murray done wonders at Dumbarton. With a full time team? I wouldn't rule them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hibeewilly
04-07-2015, 06:09 PM
I think we are slightly in front of Rangers in terms of preparation for the new season in that our coaching staff are settled and know the league but we are still well short on the signings front as well. I would like to see the rest of our signings in next week so they can integrate quickly and get a full pre season

Matty_Jack04
04-07-2015, 06:20 PM
I think we are slightly in front of Rangers in terms of preparation for the new season in that our coaching staff are settled and know the league but we are still well short on the signings front as well. I would like to see the rest of our signings in next week so they can integrate quickly and get a full pre season

Whilst agreeing we're a bit short I think the boost to have signed players out of contract to allow us a settled team and the good atmosphere between the players to continue through pre season will be a massive plus for us, Carmichael and keatings are 2 good new signings I don't feel we need to press any panic buttons just yet we can afford the time to be choosy to make sure we get the right guys in, it also gives Stubbs the chance to look at the likes of dunsmore to see if money and time could be saved and spent elsewhere (midfield) by looking to our own development players

ManBearPig
04-07-2015, 06:21 PM
Nicky law was one of the few players I thought was any good last season?!

Hibs Class
04-07-2015, 06:22 PM

The the Huns may well be favourites, but that is partly based on how bookies price the market. I find it quite easy to see them beaten to the title again. They only finished third last year, so no idea why you're finding it so hard now.

Mr White
04-07-2015, 07:11 PM
Nicky law was one of the few players I thought was any good last season?!

That was my thought too. I'd be more concerned with marius zaliukas being around again next season than law if I was a dirty hun.

stoneyburn hibs
04-07-2015, 07:30 PM
I think St Mirren will be worth watching - Murray done wonders at Dumbarton. With a full time team? I wouldn't rule them out.

I've ruled them out, we've a good record against them and I don't expect that to change.

Hannah_hfc
04-07-2015, 09:58 PM
Unfortunately Rangers have a manager who has shown previously he can get the basics right, considering those who managed Rangers last season (apart from McColl) were pretty clueless, I'd expect them to be tougher opponents than what they were last season.

That being said Stubbs goes into his second season knowing the league and knowing all his players. He'll have learnt from mistakes last season but he knows what he is up against this time.

I don't know how the tie on the 25th will go, but it will certainly be interesting to see how they match up. Certainly hope I'm wrong expecting Sevco to be a a decent side.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

iwasthere1972
04-07-2015, 10:02 PM
I think they'll miss Kris Boyd's three goals although there will be a huge saving on the pie bill. Maybe even enough to buy a couple of players.

eastterrace
04-07-2015, 11:14 PM

bollocks they have no chance. i rule them out big style

SneakersO'Toole
05-07-2015, 12:47 AM
Sevco are nowhere near ready currently but like us last year, they will find their feet and some momentum after a few games. Illustrates how important it is we get a good start to the season, starting with a good win in the Petrofac cup game as well as a confident win in the first league game against them.

Forza Fred
05-07-2015, 12:56 AM
The the Huns may well be favourites, but that is partly based on how bookies price the market. I find it quite easy to see them beaten to the title again. They only finished third last year, so no idea why you're finding it so hard now.

We can kid ourselves on, but Rangers will be massively difficult to finish above.

We may have done so last year, but to say 'quite easy' to see them beaten to the title is perhaps an over confident view.

My opinion of course,

I just hope we finish above them, but acknowledge it won't be easy.

green day
05-07-2015, 08:05 AM
We can kid ourselves on, but Rangers will be massively difficult to finish above.

We may have done so last year, but to say 'quite easy' to see them beaten to the title is perhaps an over confident view.

My opinion of course,

I just hope we finish above them, but acknowledge it won't be easy.

We know it wont be easy, that wasnt the point of his post, it was about how bookies make and sell markets - if you want some comedy, check out the odds for the premiership - Ladbrokes have Celtic as 20/1 on, Aberdeen at 14/1 then incredibly for me the jambos at 50/1 third favourites.

Ignoring the nonsense of installing a newly promoted team of cheats as third favourites, but IMO these odds are simply priced to entice goons of a maroon persuasion to part with their cash - as there is zero chance of anyone outside Celtic winning the thing.

Back to our league - Ladbrokes again, Huns 6/4 on, then us at 11/5.

I think having rangers as favourites is unsurprising............ but to have them as odds on?seems particularly daft.

NAE NOOKIE
05-07-2015, 11:52 AM
Wakey wakey

There is still a fair chunk of the transfer window to go. Anybody who thinks that the Zombies will be anything other than a massive challenge to us next season is being hugely over optimistic.

Lets look at what they have to offer prospective signings in comparison to us.

Wages ..... Hibs 2K per week ....... Zombies 4K or more per week

Crowd ...... Hibs 8/9 thousand ...... Zombies 30/35 thousand

Manager ..... Hibs Alan Stubbs ... Still in many eyes unproven ..... Zombies Warburton .... proved he can make a small club competitive in a tough league.

Two things may play to our advantage:

1) .... The Zombies refusal to accept that they are not the giants they once were. There is a chance they will spend so much time trying to attract players who just don't want to play in the Scottish Championship that they will miss out on the players they should be going for who would be well capable of competing with us.

2) .... The fact that at board room level the club still appear to be a basket case. There is a lot of noise about what the new regime want to do, but very little evidence at the moment that they have the money to back up the bold statements ... its still possible that the whole thing may come crashing down.

Its not going to be easy for us.

Cropley10
05-07-2015, 11:58 AM
Wakey wakey

There is still a fair chunk of the transfer window to go. Anybody who thinks that the Zombies will be anything other than a massive challenge to us next season is being hugely over optimistic.

Manager ..... Hibs Alan Stubbs ... Still in many eyes unproven ..... Zombies Warburton .... proved he can make a small club competitive in a tough league.

1) .... The Zombies refusal to accept that they are not the giants they once were. There is a chance they will spend so much time trying to attract players who just don't want to play in the Scottish Championship that they will miss out on the players they should be going for who would be well capable of competing with us.

2) .... The fact that at board room level the club still appear to be a basket case. There is a lot of noise about what the new regime want to do, but very little evidence at the moment that they have the money to back up the bold statements ... its still possible that the whole thing may come crashing down.

That's right Dave King is going to 'over invest' in this squad now so that next season they can finish second in the SPFL.

King is of course a proven liar and Rangers and he are S K I N T.

Yes they will be a test but unless the liar finds the cash they can't afford to splash any cash.

Sent from a phone

Thecat23
05-07-2015, 12:00 PM
Wakey wakey

It won't be easy but I fancy Hibs strongly! Hearts showed wages mean nothing, it's about how you prepare and right now they are miles away from a good squad! They can pay £10k that doesn't mean they will win the league.

Stubbs has had a season in this league and he's prepared for this season. It's all very new for The Rangers management team and I think they should fear us more than we should fear them!

Onceinawhile
05-07-2015, 12:14 PM
Warburton has proven nothing he's managed a team for 76 games, a total of 28 more than stubbs.

Rangers have lost a full team and signed three nobodies. We've kept most of our squad together and added two players proven at this level. As it stands. We are well ahead of them and the season starts in 4 weeks. People seem desperate to fawn over them as it's too difficult to talk us down at the moment.

Will they strengthen? Yes, are they anything to fear? Nope.

NAE NOOKIE
05-07-2015, 12:25 PM
It won't be easy but I fancy Hibs strongly! Hearts showed wages mean nothing, it's about how you prepare and right now they are miles away from a good squad! They can pay £10k that doesn't mean they will win the league.

Stubbs has had a season in this league and he's prepared for this season. It's all very new for The Rangers management team and I think they should fear us more than we should fear them!

The fact that Hibs came back from a dodgy start last season was in large part because we had better quality players than most of our competitors. Wages are a huge factor in attracting better quality players .... hearts were the exception to that rule, not proof that it isn't true.

I agree that we shouldn't fear the Zombies ..... that doesn't mean we should be in anything other than of the mind that they will be a very tough proposition over the season. I find it hard to believe they can be anything but improved on from last season.

Thecat23
05-07-2015, 12:46 PM
The fact that Hibs came back from a dodgy start last season was in large part because we had better quality players than most of our competitors. Wages are a huge factor in attracting better quality players .... hearts were the exception to that rule, not proof that it isn't true.

I agree that we shouldn't fear the Zombies ..... that doesn't mean we should be in anything other than of the mind that they will be a very tough proposition over the season. I find it hard to believe they can be anything but improved on from last season.

As it stands they haven't improved and lost so many players! As I say they will be up there come end of the season but I think Hibs will win the league by at least 10 points!

He's no idea of this league or grounds or how any of the teams play. We do, we have had a season to know how teams play against us and that will prove to be very important imo. I don't think it will be easy though but come this time next year we will be preparing for top flight football.

Actually both will be because after this year you can put your money on league reconstruction!

NadeAteMyLunch!
05-07-2015, 12:52 PM
Wakey wakey

3)...Scott Allan. They absolutely will not sign anyone better. He's an advantage to us straight away

3pm
05-07-2015, 12:57 PM
As it stands they haven't improved and lost so many players! As I say they will be up there come end of the season but I think Hibs will win the league by at least 10 points.

One bold prediction felly.

Can't beat a bevvy on a Sunday eh?! :greengrin

bigwheel
05-07-2015, 01:13 PM
As it stands they haven't improved and lost so many players! As I say they will be up there come end of the season but I think Hibs will win the league by at least 10 points!

He's no idea of this league or grounds or how any of the teams play. We do, we have had a season to know how teams play against us and that will prove to be very important imo. I don't think it will be easy though but come this time next year we will be preparing for top flight football.

Actually both will be because after this year you can put your money on league reconstruction!

Hope you're right TC...you know though that it all depends on what the squads are like 5 weeks from now....we have a decent chance, they have more work to do than us...but they have 4 times our budget...so let's see how they use it...

NAE NOOKIE
05-07-2015, 01:28 PM

Not an unreasonable prediction :agree:

Thecat23
05-07-2015, 02:19 PM
One bold prediction felly.

Can't beat a bevvy on a Sunday eh?! :greengrin

😁 very bold but that's how I roll 😎

Thecat23
05-07-2015, 02:22 PM
Hope you're right TC...you know though that it all depends on what the squads are like 5 weeks from now....we have a decent chance, they have more work to do than us...but they have 4 times our budget...so let's see how they use it...

Yeah as it stands we have a better squad imo. But whoever The Rangers bring in they need to gel and hit the ground running. Something we proved isn't easy at all.