PDA

View Full Version : Quotes from players and managers

GreenArmyyy!
02-07-2015, 07:56 PM
As it says on the tin, what are your favourite quotes from players/managers past or present that emphasise how great our club is?

I will kick off with Eddie Turnbull, "there's class, there's first class and then there's Hibs class".

Billy Whizz
02-07-2015, 08:00 PM
The famous Bill Shankly
He said, "when I die, I want to be the fittest man that ever died"

Jim44
02-07-2015, 08:04 PM
Turnbull to Alan Gordon:

"Your problem is that your brain is in your head."

Bostonhibby
02-07-2015, 08:14 PM
Assorted yam managers- Mr romanov said it was okay.

hibees 7062
02-07-2015, 08:18 PM
Mr romanov . Simple hertz fans

JimBHibees
02-07-2015, 08:25 PM
John Collins and pub team probably sums it up.

Bostonhibby
02-07-2015, 08:25 PM
Your honour I thought she was sixteen

Bostonhibby
02-07-2015, 08:26 PM
Your honour I thought I was offline at the time

TRC
02-07-2015, 08:40 PM
If God had meant football to be played in the air he would have put grass in the sky"
" Football hooligans ? Well, there are 92 club chairmen for a start."

Both Brian Clough
"It was a little bit by the hand of God, another bit by the head of Maradona."
Maradona

jacomo
02-07-2015, 08:45 PM
Journo: Has Scott Brown handed in a transfer request?

John Collins: He has. I read it, ripped it up and put it in the bin.

PatHead
02-07-2015, 08:46 PM
I couldn't be more chuffed if I was a badger at the start of the mating season - Ian Holloway

One Day
02-07-2015, 08:50 PM
Scottish football needs more Celtic and Rangers fans like Custer needed more Indians ----- The late Tom Hart

PatHead
02-07-2015, 08:52 PM
If God had meant football to be played in the air he would have put grass in the sky"
" Football hooligans ? Well, there are 92 club chairmen for a start."

Both Brian Clough
"It was a little bit by the hand of God, another bit by the head of Maradona."
Maradona

Favourite Cloughie was

I wouldn't say I was the best manager in the business but I was in the top one.

Ronniekirk
02-07-2015, 08:55 PM
Maybees Aye Maybees Naw

Ronniekirk
02-07-2015, 08:57 PM
Favourite Cloughie was

I wouldn't say I was the best manager in the business but I was in the top one.

Not sure if he said it but should of if he didn't Why the **** did I go to Leeds

PatHead
02-07-2015, 08:58 PM
Beckham on being asked if he was a volatile player

Well I can play in the centre, on the left or on the right.

Michael
02-07-2015, 09:03 PM
My 'favourites':

"Sometimes it's good to concede an early goal"

"If you want entertainment go to the cinema"

"Fitba guys ken whit's gawn oan"

portycabbage
02-07-2015, 09:10 PM
"Statistics are just like mini-skirts - they give you good ideas, but hide the most important thing."

Ebbe Skovdahl

TowerHibs
02-07-2015, 09:16 PM
Neil Lennon: "Deek, I hear your new bird is an airhead"

Derek Riordan: "Nah, she's blonde"

Blobby Williamson: If hibs fans expect entertainment on a Saturday, then they should go to the cinema"

John Collins: "The ball is round and it is meant to roll. You start at the back and play through the midfield, with lots of movements and other attributes like aggression, passion and commitment. Without those you don't become a good player and you don't have a good team."

Colin Calderwood: "‘If someone offers you two bags of sweets, you look in both before you choose’"
This whole interview makes my blood boil :http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/football/if-someone-offers-you-two-bags-of-sweets-you-look-in-both-before-you-choose.14179944

Terry Buther: "Sometimes maybe it's a good thing if you lose an early goal because it takes away the threat of conceding because you have conceded - and then we lose a second goal."

Pat Stanton: "When I was a lad aged 14, I went to train with Hibs. They were keen to sign me and after training one evening I was sent up to the boardroom to see the manager, Hugh Shaw, who had managed the Famous Five team. Mr Shaw said to me, 'did you enjoy training, Pat?' and I said, 'yes, I did.' He then said 'here' and handed me a 10 shilling note. I got the bus back home to Craigmillar and handed that note to my mother, who showed it to my dad, a proud Hibee. I thought nothing more of it.

"Many years later, when my father passed away, my mum handed me a folder of some of his collections – letters, football cards, other wee items – and then she said to me, 'do you know what this is?' Tucked away at the back was an old 10 shilling note. 'This is the same 10 shilling note you handed to us after you first trained with Hibs,' she said. 'That's what it meant to your dad.'
Hibs are my club.

Carheenlea
02-07-2015, 09:18 PM
“I was born a Hibby and I'll die a Hibby”

Lawrie Reilly

SON OF PADDY
02-07-2015, 09:20 PM
Lambie to trainer treating player
" what's the problem with him "
he's concussed boss " Doesn't know who he is "
Lambie " Tell him he's ****ing Pele just get him on.

Eyrie
02-07-2015, 09:45 PM
Lambie to trainer treating player
" what's the problem with him "
he's concussed boss " Doesn't know who he is "
Lambie " Tell him he's ****ing Pele just get him on.

Think the player was Roddie Grant.

Zazu62
02-07-2015, 09:50 PM
This whole interview makes my blood boil :http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/football/if-someone-offers-you-two-bags-of-sweets-you-look-in-both-before-you-choose.14179944

Colin calderwood really is a joke of a man

Bostonhibby
02-07-2015, 10:13 PM
John Robertson was the fastest player over one yard I have ever seen. You couldn't get the ball off him. Cloughie

SON OF PADDY
02-07-2015, 10:18 PM
Think the player was Roddie Grant.

Thanks for that ! Couldn't remember the player involved.

delbert
02-07-2015, 10:27 PM
QUOTE=GreenArmyyy!;4407360]As it says on the tin, what are your favourite quotes from players/managers past or present that emphasise how great our club is?

I will kick off with Eddie Turnbull, "there's class, there's first class and then there's Hibs class".[/QUOTE]

Ex Hibs Manager Dave Ewing, when being interviewed by West Coast press over upcoming Cup Tie with Rangers and totally pissed off about being told how mighty they were :-

'Rangers are Rubbish !!'

Mikey09
02-07-2015, 10:36 PM
"When I was a player the only agent going around was 007... And he only ****ed women, not entire football clubs!!"

The great Brian Clough letting his feelings be known on the modern day football agent... Best manager EVER!! :agree:

Jim Herriot
03-07-2015, 01:20 AM
Andy Goram, after being in a 7-a-side team that beat Hearts, was asked who he wanted in the next round.
'Hearts again.'

Interviewer: What would you have been if you hadn't been a footballer?
Peter Crouch: A virgin.

Sean1875
03-07-2015, 04:16 AM
"I dunno"

- Scott Brown

JimBHibees
03-07-2015, 09:22 AM
Some of the Cloughie ones are brilliant.

"So Brian, what do you do if a player disagrees with something you say".

"Well we sit down, discuss the situation agree I was right and then move on". :greengrin

GreenOnions
03-07-2015, 09:26 AM
"Velocity"
Gordon Strachan

Smartie
03-07-2015, 10:20 AM
"The operation was a success but the patient died"

Ebbe Skovdahl after Aberdeen "parked the bus" for the duration of a game at Parkhead but lost a very late goal to lose 1-0.

ancient hibee
03-07-2015, 10:25 AM
Eddie Turnbull -football's a simple game,you get the ball and play with it.if the other lot get the ball you take it off them and start again.

Martin O'neill to Clough-why am I in the second team---Clough-because there isn't a third team.

Clough at half time when Forest are losing-there's a ball get aquainted with it(throws it at Kenny Burns' head).

Shankly after Liverpool have lost six goals-our trouble is we can't play against defensive teams.

Alf Ramsay arriving at Glasgow airport in 1966 ---welcome to Scotland Mr.Ramsay---Ramsay that'll be f*****g right.

lochhibs
03-07-2015, 10:27 AM
Can't remember the whole quote but the George best 1 about ****ging miss world and scoring the winner at anfield,'I've done both ',was a good 1.

PatHead
03-07-2015, 10:35 AM
"Velocity"
Gordon Strachan

BTW He actually stole that one from Martin Buchan

southsider
03-07-2015, 12:36 PM
"Velocity"
Gordon Strachan

The reporter asked " Gordon, can I have a quick word ?"

Peevemor
03-07-2015, 12:43 PM
"Velocity"
Gordon Strachan

BTW He actually stole that one from Martin Buchan

The reporter asked " Gordon, can I have a quick word ?"

It doesn't really work though, as velocity can be high or low.

1875godsgift
03-07-2015, 12:45 PM

How about ' Whoosh '?

southsider
03-07-2015, 01:03 PM
Quickness or rate of motion in the Oxford Dictionary.

Peevemor
03-07-2015, 01:08 PM
Quickness or rate of motion in the Oxford Dictionary.

Velocity means speed - which can be slow or fast.

Bostonhibby
03-07-2015, 01:29 PM
Room service guy delivering champagne to George best and Maria staven (ex miss world) in their bank note strewn bedroom- "where did it all go wrong George?" 😊

Hamish
03-07-2015, 03:05 PM
'I will be here as long as you want me' A. McLeish whilst our manager just after we won the old First Division.

Bostonhibby
03-07-2015, 03:27 PM
Sir Matt Busby. See below😉

Alex Trager
03-07-2015, 04:57 PM
"I gave up women and drink before. It was the hardest 20 minutes of my life"

George Best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chibs
03-07-2015, 05:52 PM
http://sabotagetimes.com/football/64-bobby-robson-quotes-to-make-newcastle-and-ipswich-fans-laugh

Soldiersteve
03-07-2015, 07:20 PM
Pat Stanton-Class act, class family

Pat Stanton: "When I was a lad aged 14, I went to train with Hibs. They were keen to sign me and after training one evening I was sent up to the boardroom to see the manager, Hugh Shaw, who had managed the Famous Five team. Mr Shaw said to me, 'did you enjoy training, Pat?' and I said, 'yes, I did.' He then said 'here' and handed me a 10 shilling note. I got the bus back home to Craigmillar and handed that note to my mother, who showed it to my dad, a proud Hibee. I thought nothing more of it.

"Many years later, when my father passed away, my mum handed me a folder of some of his collections – letters, football cards, other wee items – and then she said to me, 'do you know what this is?' Tucked away at the back was an old 10 shilling note. 'This is the same 10 shilling note you handed to us after you first trained with Hibs,' she said. 'That's what it meant to your dad.'
Hibs are my club

bobbyhibs1983
03-07-2015, 08:50 PM
quite a few funny ones, esp brian clough ones,
a bit surprised noone has mentioned kevin keegan and *his rant*,* i would love it if we beat them love it!
sorta sums it up my feelings about some BIG team

Ronniekirk
03-07-2015, 10:28 PM
If you are first you are first ,if you are second you are nothing Bill Shankley

FranckSuzy
03-07-2015, 11:41 PM
How about ' Whoosh '?

:faf:

JimBHibees
04-07-2015, 06:08 AM
Pat Stanton-Class act, class family

Hibs are my club

:not worth

Monktonhall 7
04-07-2015, 07:10 AM
I like the Shankley one, when he was asked about how Everton were doing in a particular season. He answered, "if Everton were playing on my front grass, I'd get up an shut the curtains".

Ronniekirk
04-07-2015, 08:19 AM
I like the Shankley one, when he was asked about how Everton were doing in a particular season. He answered, "if Everton were playing on my front grass, I'd get up an shut the curtains".
:wink: The David Peace book red or dead is a good read although his repetitive style of writing is annoying

iwasthere1972
04-07-2015, 08:33 AM
When a player, coach or pundit is asked if they thought that (insert team name here) can get into the top ten of the league and they answered that they could get higher. I know what they mean but you can't get higher than top ten even if you are first.

snooky
04-07-2015, 09:12 AM
Some pundit asked Kenny Dalglish, "Will you take all your secrets to your grave?"
KD replied, "You'll never know".

(Not sure of the exact words but it went something like that)

yekimevol
04-07-2015, 09:57 AM
"I dunno"

- Scott Brown

I have always had a good laugh at scotts interview there; But all time time favourite is Jose on the pressure of being a football manager.

"For me, pressure is bird flu; I am feeling a lot of pressure with the swan in Scotland," "I am serious. You are laughing but I am serious. I am more scared of the bird flu than football. What is football compared with life? A swan with bird flu, for me, that is the drama of the last two days. I have to buy some masks and stuff. I am serious. Maybe for my team as well."
https://youtu.be/67Z16StICLU?t=40

Tom Hart RIP
04-07-2015, 09:59 AM
Bill Shankly. "Don't talk to me about policemen. There is one standing outside 10 Downing Street all day and the ******* still gets out"

FranckSuzy
04-07-2015, 10:04 AM
Eamon Andrews: "And in 1979, you signed for Hibernian".

George Best: "Did I?"

Always made me :faf: but now it's poignant.

Wally Carew
04-07-2015, 01:39 PM
"Messi scores a goal and he celebrates. Cristiano scores a goal and poses like he is in a shampoo commercial" - Diego Maradona.