PDA

View Full Version : So, you're the Hibs manager...

GlasgowHibee
01-07-2015, 10:30 PM
How do you go out and play against Rangers? Me, well I'd probably insist to the media that I'll be playing a fill strength team, whilst actually preparing the reserves and youth players during training.

i do not care for the petrofac cup, or for the fact its against Rangers. The Yams last season showed that the quicker you're out of that cup, the better.

lets hear yours.

Waxy
01-07-2015, 10:37 PM
I'd give 7000 tickets to them at £25, buy an extra player and play our development team against them.

bigwheel
02-07-2015, 04:30 AM
I'd give 7000 tickets to them at £25, buy an extra player and play our development team against them.

You think they could get 7000 turning up ?? And as for even the idea of it - horrible. I'd rather have one player less and give them no tickets

Steve20
02-07-2015, 06:06 AM
I couldn't care less about winning the Petrofac Cup but beating Rangers could maybe give us an advantage over them going into the season. The match will also come too early for them and I would probably play my first choice team.

Ronniekirk
02-07-2015, 06:19 AM
I couldn't care less about winning the Petrofac Cup but beating Rangers could maybe give us an advantage over them going into the season. The match will also come too early for them and I would probably play my first choice team.

There is already another thread where people have made their views clear and it's fair to say opinion is split on this one .
But Stubbs has made it clear he is looking forward to the game and it's his view that counts .He clearly won't take any risks with players carrying a knock ,but judging by his comments so far he will put out a team he thinks is ca able of getting a result Any new players however could get a run out possibly so he may not play the 11 who will start the first league game .having said that in the game at ibrox last year handling Stanton and Harris all played and played some good football and we looked capable of going on to win the game till till handling I think it was got sent off ,so maybe any development squad player who Stubbs has his eye on as potential first team material will get there chance.

Onion
02-07-2015, 06:20 AM
All for beating the Huns, but Hibs need to concentrate 100% on the league. If that means playing our dev team, and forfeiting the game, so be it.

Jim44
02-07-2015, 06:43 AM
I'll probably get shot down in flames for this but tough. All this talk about turning noses up at this competition is snobby and patronising, as if we're above this diddy competition. The fact is that this is a competition designed for the level that we were rubbish enough to descend to and we should participate with a reasonable degree of seriousness. The other clubs at our low level are entitled to play against every team at this level so we should respect this and just get on with it. To me this is what Stubbs' take on it is. Yes, we are improving and hopeful of big things this season but let's not get ahead of ourselves and treat our peer opponents with disdain.

Steve20
02-07-2015, 06:45 AM
There is already another thread where people have made their views clear and it's fair to say opinion is split on this one .
But Stubbs has made it clear he is looking forward to the game and it's his view that counts .He clearly won't take any risks with players carrying a knock ,but judging by his comments so far he will put out a team he thinks is ca able of getting a result Any new players however could get a run out possibly so he may not play the 11 who will start the first league game .having said that in the game at ibrox last year handling Stanton and Harris all played and played some good football and we looked capable of going on to win the game till till handling I think it was got sent off ,so maybe any development squad player who Stubbs has his eye on as potential first team material will get there chance.

The question was what would I do if I was Hibs manager, not Stubbs.

Jim44
02-07-2015, 06:50 AM
The question was what would I do if I was Hibs manager, not Stubbs.

I think my answer's obvious then.

Steve20
02-07-2015, 06:55 AM
I'll probably get shot down in flames for this but tough. All this talk about turning noses up at this competition is snobby and patronising, as if we're above this diddy competition. The fact is that this is a competition designed for the level that we were rubbish enough to descend to and we should participate with a reasonable degree of seriousness. The other clubs at our low level are entitled to play against every team at this level so we should respect this and just get on with it. To me this is what Stubbs' take on it is. Yes, we are improving and hopeful of big things this season but let's not get ahead of ourselves and treat our peer opponents with disdain.

It's nothing to do with disdain for our opponents. I just don't think this cup should even exist to start with. It's a patronising cup just like that Football League trophy in England - "oh you're not good enough to compete with the Premier League sides, have a diddy cup to have your moment"

If clubs want a chance of winning a cup, strive to become better and have a go at the League Cup or the Scottish Cup. Winning the Petrofac Cup would mean nothing.

Jim44
02-07-2015, 07:05 AM
It's nothing to do with disdain for our opponents. I just don't think this cup should even exist to start with. It's a patronising cup just like that Football League trophy in England - "oh you're not good enough to compete with the Premier League sides, have a diddy cup to have your moment"

If clubs want a chance of winning a cup, strive to become better and have a go at the League Cup or the Scottish Cup. Winning the Petrofac Cup would mean nothing.

If this was the view of all the participating clubs then I would respect your viewpoint. If the majority of clubs don't want it, they should make enough noise to have the competition done away with. While it's there, I think we have to give it credibility.

PeeJay
02-07-2015, 07:16 AM

Good post - we really should treat every game with a "reasonable degree of seriousness" or even more than that ... :greengrin

If I was Stubbs, I'd be using this game and every game to see where the team is in terms of fitness, skill, and so on and what needs improving for the campaign: the tougher the opposition the better, the incentive of a "cup" is not something this club should be turning up its nose at ... If I was in Stubbs' shoes, every game would be worth winning and competing for with our strongest team ...

danhibees1875
02-07-2015, 07:38 AM
I'd assess the squad I have, find my strongest 11 and play them with the hope of progressing to the next round of the tournament we're in. I'd expect my boss to want me to do this, I'd expect the players to want to win it and I'd expect the fans to want to win it.

ballengeich
02-07-2015, 07:44 AM
We should field the first choice team in the game as we should be trying to win this competition.

Considering the league as first priority, we want to get off to a fast start, but our pre-season games are against lower division opposition as will be the first round of the league cup. The Petrofac game is the first opportunity for a fully competitive game for the first choice team.

We should also consider the effect on The Rangers. Their supporters are more likely to return in numbers if they get off to a good start, and that will give them more money to spend on players. The more games they lose the more precarious their finances get and the fewer additional players they can sign.

All these reasons point to fielding the best team available.

dangermouse
02-07-2015, 07:50 AM
Shoot the Hun down in flames! They will be unprepared (a bit like us last season) so give them a good kicking (scoreline not physically).

Any Hibs manager should be looking to win EVERY game even pre season friendlies.

Hibernian Verse
02-07-2015, 07:51 AM
How do you go out and play against Rangers? Me, well I'd probably insist to the media that I'll be playing a fill strength team, whilst actually preparing the reserves and youth players during training.

i do not care for the petrofac cup, or for the fact its against Rangers. The Yams last season showed that the quicker you're out of that cup, the better.

lets hear yours.

What a ridiculous statement. We were out in the first round and we didn't win the league.

How anyone can want us to take a pumping off Rangers is beyond me.

Baldy Foghorn
02-07-2015, 07:57 AM
What a ridiculous statement. We were out in the first round and we didn't win the league.

How anyone can want us to take a pumping off Rangers is beyond me.

Exactly, some need a shake

J-C
02-07-2015, 08:08 AM
Full strength team and give Rangers a good beating, gives all the players a great morale boost to beat them and start the season with confidence soaring, play some youngsters in the 2nd round once we're through.

Keith_M
02-07-2015, 08:11 AM
What does ull mean in the thread title?

Was wondering that myself.

Baldy Foghorn
02-07-2015, 08:47 AM
Full strength team and give Rangers a good beating, gives all the players a great morale boost to beat them and start the season with confidence soaring, play some youngsters in the 2nd round once we're through.

Win round one, then throw the comp? Don't get that logic

Ozyhibby
02-07-2015, 08:52 AM
I don't care about the petrofac cup at all but this is a chance to put early pressure on their new management team. Full squad please.

The_Exile
02-07-2015, 09:12 AM
I'd personally be treating it as a competitive friendly, but it's against Sevco and not a "minnow" so I want us to dismantle them in front of a national TV audience. The players will be WELL up for this game by the way, make no mistake, considering how last season ended they'll be wanting this one big time.

Smartie
02-07-2015, 09:16 AM
If we weren't playing this game we'd be playing some friendly or other.

We should be fine-tuning our team for the start of the league by that point. It is a brilliant dress-rehearsal for the start of the league season and a chance to see how far we've come.

It might come around a bit early for them too - it would be nice for us to demoralise them early.

Full-strength team please.

J-C
02-07-2015, 09:23 AM
Win round one, then throw the comp? Don't get that logic

Did I say throw the cup, please point to where I said that, I said play some youngsters, which this cup is generally used for, I'm not saying play the full development squad but it's a chance to play a few young guys for the experience but just not against them in round one. Once again someone on Hibs.net taking a post and changing the words to suit their own agenda, this site really annoys me at times.

happiehibbie
02-07-2015, 09:47 AM
What a load of Tosh saying "play this and play" that a FOOTBALLER should want to win every game and play in every game also more game more money coming in

in the pro season the following are up for winning
League
Scottish cup
League Cup
petrofac cup

Let me tell you if i was the manager i want all four and if my players don't then they would not play for me

dangermouse
02-07-2015, 09:49 AM
What a load of Tosh saying "play this and play" that a FOOTBALLER should want to win every game and play in every game also more game more money coming in

League
Scottish cup
League Cup
petrofac cup

Let me tell you if i was the manager i want all four and if my players don't then they would not play for me

Spot on.

Keith_M
02-07-2015, 09:58 AM
A question for those that think the Petrofac Cup is just as valid a competition as the Scottish or League Cups......

If we won it, would you want an open topped bus parade through Edinburgh as celebration?

pentlando
02-07-2015, 11:37 AM
So only competitons that involve the premiership sides are worth winning? Best not win this championship then...

Sammy7nil
02-07-2015, 11:46 AM

League
Scottish cup
League Cup
petrofac cup

The point is the players who are selected will want to win regardless of who plays, ultimately the players selected may not be good enough. I would play a mix of experienced players who need a game and some youngsters if we win great if we get beat (not humped as suggested in other posts) no problem.

Northern Hibby
02-07-2015, 11:49 AM
I'd assess the squad I have, find my strongest 11 and play them with the hope of progressing to the next round of the tournament we're in. I'd expect my boss to want me to do this, I'd expect the players to want to win it and I'd expect the fans to want to win it.

:top marks

happiehibbie
02-07-2015, 11:58 AM
The point is the players who are selected will want to win regardless of who plays, ultimately the players selected may not be good enough. I would play a mix of experienced players who need a game and some youngsters if we win great if we get beat (not humped as suggested in other posts) no problem.

its a funny old game but when your time is up and the Pet cup was your only winners medal ? Also do you think Hibs can afford to miss out on revenue ?

ask Gary M ckay about his medals as a Pro !

Keith_M
02-07-2015, 12:06 PM
A question for those that think the Petrofac Cup is just as valid a competition as the Scottish or League Cups......

If we won it, would you want an open topped bus parade through Edinburgh as celebration?

:tumble:

Bad Martini
02-07-2015, 12:06 PM
I dont care what level we're playing the manky ones and in what competition....whenever we play them, anywhere, at any time, we should want to beat them into submission. To a pulp. To within an inch of their sporting existence and then do it a bit more for good measure. I remember those *******s celebrating that year at Easter Road, that year they thought we could in some way be friendly with them and that we'd let them win over us for any reason.

No danger.

Always, with your very last breath if necessary, look to hammer the huns. Always. No ifs, buts or maybes. No excuses.

If we do nothing else in this cup but put THEM out, that would do.

We have a score to settle with them for that play off at Ibrox where we had dozens of corners and 1 ****ty shot on target. Vengence can be ours. Start as you mean to go on; by skelping them in the boat with as many goals as possible.

ENDOF

PeeJay
02-07-2015, 12:08 PM

That's not really the point is it - I don't think it is as valid as the SC or the League Cup, but I'd expect the club to be putting out a full-strength squad anyway to give the team game time and enable our manager to see how match ready his team is for the campaign - better to do that now than in "valid" competitions, surely?

Keith_M
02-07-2015, 02:46 PM
That's not really the point is it - I don't think it is as valid as the SC or the League Cup, but I'd expect the club to be putting out a full-strength squad anyway to give the team game time and enable our manager to see how match ready his team is for the campaign - better to do that now than in "valid" competitions, surely?

I totally agree with that and have already said we should treat this first game very seriously, as it's both ideal preparation for the season and a chance to beat DerHun.

After that, if we're still in the competition, it's a good chance to give fringe players an opportunity of game time. I'm not talking about playing 11 youths but a mixture of first team and fringe/youths.

What I disagree with is the notion, as put forward by some, that the competition is just as important as the Scottish or League Cups, hence my question.

PeeJay
02-07-2015, 03:30 PM
What I disagree with is the notion, as put forward by some, that the competition is just as important as the Scottish or League Cups, hence my question.

Well, it's not as important, but how the club approaches these games shouldn't be any different to those ones - it's called professionalism ... something the club should seriously consider :rolleyes:

Keith_M
02-07-2015, 04:04 PM
Well, it's not as important, but how the club approaches these games shouldn't be any different to those ones - it's called professionalism ... something the club should seriously consider :rolleyes:

Peejay, why the rolling eyes, we seem to be basically in agreement.

:greengrin

PeeJay
02-07-2015, 04:19 PM
Peejay, why the rolling eyes, we seem to be basically in agreement.

:greengrin

yeah ... it's this heat wave, I guess ... I'm off to the beer garden! :greengrin

Pretty Boy
02-07-2015, 04:52 PM
As a club we have won 3 major trophies in 60+ years, are we really in a postion to turn our noses up at any potential silverware? Ok it's not the LC or SC but I'm damn sure I'd enjoy winning the Petrofac Cup.

Same goes for Hearts fans and their dimissal of the LC. 4 major honours in 55 years and 38 years without a single one and they think they are above a competition. Bizarre.

B.H.F.C
02-07-2015, 04:52 PM
I think this tie is a massive part of our preparation for the season.

First team only have 3 friendlies listed. Get the full team out and they'll get much more out of this one game than they would out of a couple of friendlies. Win and confidence goes sky high before we've kicked a ball in the league.

TheHarpy76
02-07-2015, 06:51 PM
You think they could get 7000 turning up ?? And as for even the idea of it - horrible. I'd rather have one player less and give them no tickets

Thank **** your not in charge of the club then!

bigwheel
02-07-2015, 07:12 PM
Thank **** your not in charge of the club then!

Are you another that wants to give two ends of our ground them ? That sounds a great idea ....

TheHarpy76
02-07-2015, 07:17 PM
Are you another that wants to give two ends of our ground them ? That sounds a great idea ....

No, I don't believe I said that.

Do you think it makes financial sense to not give them any?

bigwheel
02-07-2015, 07:26 PM
No, I don't believe I said that.

Do you think it makes financial sense to not give them any?

Well maybe if you consider the context of my answer you will know that wasn't the major point I was making ....

TheHarpy76
02-07-2015, 07:29 PM
Well maybe if you consider the context of my answer you will know that wasn't the major point I was making ....

Well in answer to your whole question I would rather they brought 7000(which won't happen) than none. Yes it would be a horrible sight but financially better.

bigwheel
02-07-2015, 07:39 PM
Well in answer to your whole question I would rather they brought 7000(which won't happen) than none. Yes it would be a horrible sight but financially better.

Well. Moving aside the point that they couldn't sell 7000 tickets for a normal game at our place - I'd rather we still had a soul than more money in the bank ..In a straight choice between the 2 options I would 100% rather give them none than 7000

shetlandhibee
02-07-2015, 07:43 PM
:top marksspot on

We should field the first choice team in the game as we should be trying to win this competition.

Considering the league as first priority, we want to get off to a fast start, but our pre-season games are against lower division opposition as will be the first round of the league cup. The Petrofac game is the first opportunity for a fully competitive game for the first choice team.

We should also consider the effect on The Rangers. Their supporters are more likely to return in numbers if they get off to a good start, and that will give them more money to spend on players. The more games they lose the more precarious their finances get and the fewer additional players they can sign.

All these reasons point to fielding the best team available.

TheHarpy76
02-07-2015, 07:49 PM
Well. Moving aside the point that they couldn't sell 7000 tickets for a normal game at our place - I'd rather we still had a soul than more money in the bank ..In a straight choice between the 2 options I would 100% rather give them none than 7000

Which brings me back to my original post.

Thank **** your not in charge of the club.

matty_f
02-07-2015, 08:17 PM

No, would you want one for the Championship trophy?

w pilton hibby
02-07-2015, 08:32 PM
Seems a lot on here agree with The Rangers fans

From Vital Rangers Forums

Mickey Mouse Competition

The Petrofac Training Cup, with us drawn against Hibernian again in round one, clearly isn't the priority for Rangers this season but, speaking personally, I'd still want us to win it if we can but not at the cost of our Championship bid of course!

Barnaby Cricklespiff has shared some thoughts on this competition and the sooner we're out of it the better for them....

'It is absolutely galling that a club of Rangers standard are participating in the Petrofac Cup while the beasts swan off into the sunset with bags of cash from CL / Europa league.

'This is only a distraction and we should play the youth in this Mickey Mouse competition.'

Agree or disagree?

What we also know about the tie at Easter Road is that the BBC cameras will be in attendance as this has been brought forward to 12:30pm on Saturday 25th July so it can be broadcast live.

bigwheel
02-07-2015, 08:37 PM
Which brings me back to my original post.

Thank **** your not in charge of the club.

Well , if you'd rather move Hibs fans from their seat and give it to Rangers fans (because that's what your choice is doing ) then I'd suggest you think about what football is about ....for me , you are like Petrie ...I'd much rather we respect ourselves more than that

Big L
02-07-2015, 11:56 PM

I think we should go all out to give them a doing before they get a chance to gel, it would put them on the back foot and give us a massive phsycological advantage.

Kavinho
05-07-2015, 11:26 AM
Well , if you'd rather move Hibs fans from their seat and give it to Rangers fans (because that's what your choice is doing ) then I'd suggest you think about what football is about ....for me , you are like Petrie ...I'd much rather we respect ourselves more than that

I was quite happy with the amount of them that were at the play of game.

That's plenty. 1200/1500?

NAE NOOKIE
05-07-2015, 01:23 PM
There is two ways to look at this.

Do we go into the game with the full first team all guns blazing? If we do that and give the Zombies a doing it will be a psychological advantage, but it will also mean we have shown our hand early and I don't think Warburton will be daft enough not to learn from it. If we do that and lose we show our hand and start the season on a downer.

Do we play a mixture of youth and experience? If we win we give ourselves a huge psychological advantage. If we lose in that scenario we still haven't given them much to work with as far as working out what sort of a challenge we will be in the league.

I would play the back 4 as usual, apart from left back where I would give a start to the young lad folk seem to rate on here, sorry I've forgotten his name ( Dunsmore? ), but I would mix up the midfield and forwards or even experiment a wee bit up front. Perhaps give Handling a start and put Carmichael in the hole rather than the wing, that sort of thing.