PDA

View Full Version : Mike Reilly

1two
01-07-2015, 09:51 AM
Resigned as from the Hibs Supporters Association Chairman

Effective 30th June 2015

The Trustees of the Hibernian Supporters Association can confirm that Mike Riley has resigned as Chairman, effective from 30th June 2015.

The Trustees and Council Members would like to thank Mike for his dedication and commitment to The Hibs Club over his years of service as Chairman.

Crawford Corrigan has agreed to take on the role of interim Chairman until the HSA AGM in April 2016:

Crawford said:

“I’d like pass on my thanks to Mike for the excellent work he has done as Chairman. I’m sure my fellow Trustees and Council members join me in wishing Mike and Liz all the best for the future.

“I’m delighted to take over as Chairman and look forward to working with the Trustees and Council members to build on the excellent work done by Mike as we strive to ensure The Hibs Club offers the very best service to members and guests.

“One of my first tasks will be to contact Leeann Dempster and, working with my colleagues on the HSA Council, I will continue to look for ways that we can help Leeann and her team at Easter Road and East Mains achieve the very best for Hibs.”

Vice-Chairman Craig Paterson has also resigned from his postion. The Trustees would like to put on record their thanks to Craig for his service to HSA.

Tom Hall has agreed to take on the role of interim Vice-Chairman until April 2016.

A copy of this statement has been posted in The Hibs Club and circulated to branch secretaries.

FranckSuzy
01-07-2015, 09:55 AM
Was waiting for someone to post this as I didn't know if it was common knowledge :aok:

1two
01-07-2015, 10:01 AM
Was waiting for someone to post this as I didn't know if it was common knowledge :aok:

Taken from the HSA Facebook page :aok:

vercol36
01-07-2015, 10:17 AM
Good riddance. Often wondered how a 'spokesperson' for Hibernian supporters so often had differing view to every Hibs supporter I know.

Boris
01-07-2015, 10:31 AM
I saw the official statement from the HSA & can only say I'm delighted with the changes. I've always found Crawford (Corrigan) to be a gentleman & am sure he will get the support he deserves in his initial interim spell in the Chair (I only say "interim" as the statement indicates any final confirmation will come at the next AGM in April 2016). Likewise Tom (Hall) is in a similar vein & a top man. Delighted to see Colin (Rich) will remain in his key role on the financial side. I know from my own time on the Council as Membership Secretary a while back just how much work Colin does around the Club on a wide range of duties from looking after the finances to maintaining the IT systems & a whole lot more in between (that by the way would cost the Club a fortune if they were having to pay an outside source).

Good luck.

Betty Boop
01-07-2015, 10:44 AM
All the best Mike, and many thanks for your years of dedication and hard work.

PISTOL1875
01-07-2015, 05:05 PM
Good riddance. Often wondered how a 'spokesperson' for Hibernian supporters so often had differing view to every Hibs supporter I know.

You seem to be very vocal hiding behind your keyboard.. You obviously have an axe to grind with the man. Why don't you join the association and run for the vacant post ???

bill the hibby
01-07-2015, 05:09 PM
You seem to be very vocal hiding behind your keyboard.. You obviously have an axe to grind with the man. Why don't you join the association and run for the vacant post ???

I disagree, this is a fans forum for discussing opinions on matters associated with the club, for example just because I didn't like the way hibs were being managed wouldn't mean I would apply to become the manager.

PISTOL1875
01-07-2015, 05:22 PM
I disagree, this is a fans forum for discussing opinions on matters associated with the club, for example just because I didn't like the way hibs were being managed wouldn't mean I would apply to become the manager.

This is a fans forum but it's also an opportunity for computer hard-men to come on here, hide behind their's screens and slate people left , right and center... Mike Riley takes stick on here and sometimes quite rightly so but he speaks for the fans due to his position , if people think they could do a better job then they should apply for the vacant post as I stated in the last post...

lucky
01-07-2015, 05:23 PM

But a this is the Ex Chairman of a social club that's being attacked. Mike Reilly did a great job running the supporters club and should thanked for his efforts. If people disagree with his public comments then that's up to them to take to their branch and challenge it their

Golden Bear
01-07-2015, 05:27 PM
I don't know Mr Reilly but he did hold somewhat controversial views. Media relations were obviously not part of his remit!

However I take my hat off to people who are good enough to volunteer their time for any organisation as it's often a thankless task.

bill the hibby
01-07-2015, 05:28 PM
This is a fans forum but it's also an opportunity for computer hard-men to come on here, hide behind their's screens and slate people left , right and center... Mike Riley takes stick on here and sometimes quite rightly so but he speaks for the fans due to his position , if people think they could do a better job then they should apply for the vacant post as I stated in the last post...

Computer hard men? Because the guy was expressing his opinion on Mike Reilly and the job he done makes him a computer hard man who slates people? If you don't agree with him then you can let him know but no need for the "computer hard man" comments imo.

FranckSuzy
01-07-2015, 05:46 PM
But a this is the Ex Chairman of a social club that's being attacked. Mike Reilly did a great job running the supporters club and should thanked for his efforts. If people disagree with his public comments then that's up to them to take to their branch and challenge it their

That's just it, MR wasn't the Chair of a social club, he was the Chair of the Hibernian Supporters Association, of which the Hibs Club is just one part. I have met MR on many occasions and whilst I wouldn't say I was his biggest fan, I will give him credit for a well-run club but his tenure of the actual HSA - the important part - was lacking, IMHO.

Future17
01-07-2015, 05:48 PM

Perhaps we could turn down the hyperbole before this thread becomes a slagging match?

He wasn't attacked, he was criticised, which is going to happen on a public forum to a man who held his position (as I am sure Mr Reilly is aware). Other than some dirty laundry that was aired on here recently, I have never read any criticism of his performance in running the HSA.

However, it is a fact that a lot of Hibernian supporters disagree with comments he has made in the media over many years. I don't think people should be required to join a supporter's branch in order to state their opinion on an internet messageboard.

easty
01-07-2015, 06:01 PM

Keyboard hardmen? Wtf are you on about, get a bloody grip.

Hibby70
01-07-2015, 06:04 PM

Drama queen!
(You don't really have a pistol do you)

Lago
01-07-2015, 06:34 PM
I dont know the man but what I do know is that as a hibs supporter I have cringed on many occasion listening to MR's pronouncements on behalf of hib's supporters. He just came across as completely out of tune.

blackpoolhibs
01-07-2015, 06:40 PM
I dont know the man but what I do know is that as a hibs supporter I have cringed on many occasion listening to MR's pronouncements on behalf of hib's supporters. He just came across as completely out of tune.

:agree: The football mans Kanye West.

stoneyburn hibs
01-07-2015, 06:44 PM
I don't know Mr Reilly but he did hold somewhat controversial views. Media relations were obviously not part of his remit!

However I take my hat off to people who are good enough to volunteer their time for any organisation as it's often a thankless task.

Plus one, wouldn't know him if I walked past him but however well liked he must have devoted a lot of his own time.

Ozyhibby
01-07-2015, 07:00 PM
He's away now so no point worrying about it.
Sounds like there were two parts to the job and he did one very well and the other one not so much.
Might be an idea for the supporter club to split the two roles in future.

FranckSuzy
01-07-2015, 07:07 PM
He's away now so no point worrying about it.
Sounds like there were two parts to the job and he did one very well and the other one not so much.
Might be an idea for the supporter club to split the two roles in future.

I think that was the problem in the first place, as there were two sets of rules, for example. That is being addressed now though and a more cordial relationship is being forged with Hibs so it's onwards and upwards :aok:

Lago
01-07-2015, 07:12 PM
:agree: The football mans Kanye West.
Yip no auto tune:greengrin

Hibs Class
01-07-2015, 07:18 PM

Correct. Hibs fans don't have a "fans' chief". Nor can any one individual speak for the fans. He may well have done his admin role well enough, but his public comments were cringeworthy, albeit he may have suffered a little from Evening News hyperbole.

Pretty Boy
01-07-2015, 07:23 PM
MR was in an unfortunate position in many ways. As chairman of the HSA he was often called upon by the press to quote in issues and was quoted as speaking on behalf of Hibs fans when of course he was speaking on behalf of the associations members. I have no doubt he was poorly quoted on several ocassions. I think the HSL issue caught him out a bit and he made a shocking error coming out against it and almost aligning himself with the boxing gym before consulting his memebers.

I only met the man a few times and he always seemed a decent enough sort to me, sure he made a few gaffes but I wish him well.

superfurryhibby
01-07-2015, 07:29 PM
Given some of the stick Mike Reilly gets from some on here there are some awry sensitive wee souls when it is returned in some small measure. So easy to criticise and dismiss, so hard to offer anything in terms of commitment oneself.

I would take my hat off to anyone who gives their time to Hibs and the wider cause, without pay ( except for "the conduit" ). Well done to the guy for his efforts.

PISTOL1875
01-07-2015, 08:13 PM
Keyboard hardmen? Wtf are you on about, get a bloody grip.

Keyboard hardmen yes.. People who are quite willing to rattle off insults and other stuff but when pulled up and questioned about their comments , they poof it and claim to be ' only kidding ' or ' just having a laugh '...

Pretty Boy
01-07-2015, 08:18 PM
Keyboard hardmen yes.. People who are quite willing to rattle off insults and other stuff but when pulled up and questioned about their comments , they poof it and claim to be ' only kidding ' or ' just having a laugh '...

'Poof it'?

Bit of a homophobe or just a keyboard one? Or just 'kidding' and 'having a laugh'? Just banter probably.

PISTOL1875
01-07-2015, 08:20 PM
'Poof it'?

Bit of a homophobe or just a keyboard one? Or just 'kidding' and 'having a laugh'? Just banter probably.

OK then I will rephrase it then..

People who are quite happy to ' talk the talk ' but when are asked to explain what they mean..........................

SaulGoodman
01-07-2015, 08:25 PM

Or maybe they want to state their opinion without wanting to fight?

Pretty Boy
01-07-2015, 08:28 PM
OK then I will rephrase it then..

People who are quite happy to ' talk the talk ' but when are asked to explain what they mean..........................

So pretty much what you've just done then.

Fantastic commitment to your argument to provide a working example. Impressed.

Bostonhibby
01-07-2015, 08:31 PM
Or maybe they want to state their opinion without wanting to fight?

:agree: Suppose the opposite of a keyboard hardman is a keyboard fawner who is diametrically positive about the things that the "hardmen" get negative about - negative opinions are worth the same as positive. Always wary about anyone who automatically defines anyone who isn't positive about what they are as keyboard hardmen etc.................

CRAZYHIBBY
01-07-2015, 08:36 PM
I Know mike personally. ... he is a hibby and put in a lot of time and effort over the years

Just Alf
01-07-2015, 08:38 PM
I'm starting to wonder who the "keyboard hard man" is.... :rolleyes:

Anyways.... MR did some really good work with the Hibs club over the years to the point it's a nice place to go (try find the Yam equivalent), on the other hand, when asked to speak on behalf of us, the supporters, he seemed to get the wrong end of the stick regularly, whether that was down to him or our wonderful press massaging the actual words is of course another question entirely.

marinello59
01-07-2015, 09:05 PM
I may not have agreed with some of the statements released in his name but he can't be accused of shirking any issues when it came to Hibs. I don't think any personal abuse on here towards him is warranted. Hope he enjoys having a slightly quieter life.

easty
01-07-2015, 09:22 PM

Haha...."keyboard hardmen", "pulled up" and "poof it" all in one post. Hibs.nets answer to Danny Dyer aye?

Think you need to tone it down a bit pal.

Stantons Angel
01-07-2015, 10:31 PM
I saw the official statement from the HSA & can only say I'm delighted with the changes. I've always found Crawford (Corrigan) to be a gentleman & am sure he will get the support he deserves in his initial interim spell in the Chair (I only say "interim" as the statement indicates any final confirmation will come at the next AGM in April 2016). Likewise Tom (Hall) is in a similar vein & a top man. Delighted to see Colin (Rich) will remain in his key role on the financial side. I know from my own time on the Council as Membership Secretary a while back just how much work Colin Hidoes around the Club on a wide range of duties from looking after the finances to maintaining the IT systems & a whole lot more in between (that by the way would cost the Club a fortune if they were having to pay an outside source).

Good luck.

I cant believe the feelings of some of the posters on this announcement. It was stated at the last AGM in April this year he was going to stand down "sooner than later" so what is all the fuss?
I for one am happy with the Interim replacements and can see a whole lot of the club members who left because of the last regime returning to use the club for what it is "the Hibernian Supporters Association".
Its not a high class pub, a 5 star hotel its a supporters club for Hibs supporters their families and the surrounding community.

Mr Reilly was given a lot of abuse on here for things he said that were often out of context with what the hibs supporters stood for.
IMO the last straw was the statement he made about not supporting the HSL venture of the share issue. Then having to have someone else come out and apologise on his behalf.
To me this was an embarrassment to the Club and Association members and made his tenure unsustainable.

Those days are now hopefully history and we look forward to the future and i wish both Crawford and Tom all the best in their new venture. Im sure they will do a grand job of taking the club forward with the support of the football club and the board once again.

GGTTH!

Cod Boy
01-07-2015, 10:33 PM
Good luck Crawford

vercol36
02-07-2015, 05:30 AM

Mate...calm the beans. For a start, I live a couple of thousand miles away from Edinburgh, so the vacant post is not going to work out for me. Even if I did live in Edinburgh, I doubt I would run for it: I disagree with the local corrupt politician who represents me here, but I'm not going to suddenly run for political office. Doesn't mean I can't disagree with the man. As for being a "keyboard hardman"....well, if it takes using the word "poof" in an internet post to prevent becoming one, then sign me up for the keyboard hardman's association and I'll run as Chairman.

In my opinion, as stated previously, I am glad this man has gone as he has been the supporter's mouthpiece for a very long time, but has very rarely represented the majority of the fans I know. He is a relic from the age of gloom and misery at Hibs, and was always the first person to shoot down any decision that the club made. And his solutions to certain problems......:sick: "Bring back Alex Miller", was, I believe, a potent example.

CRAZYHIBBY
02-07-2015, 10:10 AM
Lol.....some mod must have edited my post

H18S NX
02-07-2015, 10:33 AM
I cant believe the feelings of some of the posters on this announcement. It was stated at the last AGM in April this year he was going to stand down "sooner than later" so what is all the fuss?
I for one am happy with the Interim replacements and can see a whole lot of the club members who left because of the last regime returning to use the club for what it is "the Hibernian Supporters Association".
Its not a high class pub, a 5 star hotel its a supporters club for Hibs supporters their families and the surrounding community.

Mr Reilly was given a lot of abuse on here for things he said that were often out of context with what the hibs supporters stood for.
IMO the last straw was the statement he made about not supporting the HSL venture of the share issue. Then having to have someone else come out and apologise on his behalf.
To me this was an embarrassment to the Club and Association members and made his tenure unsustainable.

Those days are now hopefully history and we look forward to the future and i wish both Crawford and Tom all the best in their new venture. Im sure they will do a grand job of taking the club forward with the support of the football club and the board once again.

GGTTH!.....Well said Janette :aok:

1875STEVE
02-07-2015, 09:37 PM
Good luck Crawford

Agreed Mikey. :aok:

Good luck to big Crawford, following in his auld man's footsteps. :flag:

Forza Fred
03-07-2015, 02:53 AM
Met Mike when I was back for the cup final in 2013.

Found him a personable chap who was always happy to help.

Enjoy your new found peace and quiet Mike.

Berwickhibby
03-07-2015, 03:24 AM
I thought Mike Reilly was arrogant and a bully, I also told him that (and worse) to his face. I will now start using the Club again ..... Good luck Crawford :D

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

hibbymick
03-07-2015, 05:48 AM
I thought Mike Reilly was arrogant and a bully, I also told him that (and worse) to his face. I will now start using the Club again ..... Good luck Crawford :D

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I have to agree, although it backfired on him badly one night after he got a bit too arrogant wi one of my mates. The incident in the club was never mentioned and no action taken against him even though plenty witnesses were there. That was an admission of guilt right away.