PDA

View Full Version : The Fans

dp00
30-06-2015, 06:02 AM
Has the reaction of the fans at the rangers game last season the reason that so many players have re-signed contracts with us ?

Gray mentioned it
Fyvie mentioned it
Stevenson mentioned it
And now Oxley as mentioned it

It just goes to show how much difference supporting the team makes. Thankfully we now have a squad which we can support 100%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Baldy Foghorn
30-06-2015, 06:30 AM
That's a good point. Everyone at hibs was blown away by a) the random applause b) sunshine on leith. It felt like the fans were really bonding and letting everyone know we were proud of the efforts

Jim44
30-06-2015, 06:36 AM
Has the reaction of the fans at the rangers game last season the reason that so many players have re-signed contracts with us ?

Gray mentioned it
Fyvie mentioned it
Stevenson mentioned it

It just goes to show how much difference supporting the team makes. Thankfully we now have a squad which we can support 100%

Could be. The cynic in me suspects that players are, if not scripted, sometimes prompted to say certain things in interviews. How many times are we reminded by incoming players that we are a 'massive' club? There again, players often rely on cliches and copy what others have said. How many golfers have you heard referring to 'having fun out there'? Nobody ever said that till Tiger Woods in his hay day coined the phrase.

Geo_1875
30-06-2015, 07:54 AM
Could be. The cynic in me suspects that players are, if not scripted, sometimes prompted to say certain things in interviews. How many times are we reminded by incoming players that we are a 'massive' club? There again, players often rely on cliches and copy what others have said. How many golfers have you heard referring to 'having fun out there'? Nobody ever said that till Tiger Woods in his hay day coined the phrase.

It was easy for Tiger to say he was having fun when he was dominating the game. It was hard work for the others. He doesn't have much fun nowadays.

Keith_M
30-06-2015, 09:06 AM
It was easy for Tiger to say he was having fun when he was dominating the game. It was hard work for the others. He doesn't have much fun nowadays.

Was he really referring to the Golf or the myriad of Blondes?

:wink:

matty_f
30-06-2015, 09:09 AM
That's a good point. Everyone at hibs was blown away by a) the random applause b) sunshine on leith. It felt like the fans were really bonding and letting everyone know we were proud of the efforts

I think that was definitely a moment where the players realised that they were part of something bigger happening at the club.

I think that reaction would definitely have had an impact at some level and to varying degrees with the players. Certainly, if someone was swithering it's something that they would have taken into consideration.

PatHead
30-06-2015, 10:12 AM
Just shows how important a positive support is. Wish we could bottle it and bring it out at every game. Make a better experience for everyone.

Hope the idiots that shout and bawl at players for making mistakes take note and zip it.

SlickShoes
30-06-2015, 10:20 AM

Gray mentioned it
Fyvie mentioned it
Stevenson mentioned it

Most folk on here called it "celebrating failure" or "celebrating mediocrity" just like at the celtc cup final as well.

CallumLaidlaw
30-06-2015, 10:26 AM
Most folk on here called it "celebrating failure" or "celebrating mediocrity" just like at the celtc cup final as well.

Do they? I personally call it backing the club, and recognising that they done all they could out there.

bill the hibby
30-06-2015, 10:29 AM
Do they? I personally call it backing the club, and recognising that they done all they could out there.

I don't know if I'd say 'all they could'...they could've done a whole of a lot more in the first leg of the play off. But I agree supporting them is sometimes more important

Waxy
30-06-2015, 10:30 AM
Most folk on here called it "celebrating failure" or "celebrating mediocrity" just like at the celtc cup final as well.Alot of folk dont see properly. It's about effort everyone is making and the direction the club has taken.

Islington Hibs
30-06-2015, 10:33 AM
something similar happened at the 0-3 Celtic cup final game when the support burst in to life in spite of the result. It was good to see and hear.

I think after the Rangers game it was to show appreciation of at least a team we could be proud of, even if they didn't quite make it. The club seems far more professional, the football is no longer hoofball and people seem to care. That is creating a much better feel and making the games much more enjoyable. Hope the vocal support continues

SlickShoes
30-06-2015, 10:34 AM

They did yes at the time, people called it embarrassing.

As gutted as I was at the end of that game I applauded the team off the park, some people didn't agree with that.

It pains me hibs are in the championship but even if we were in the lowland league i'd still support hibs, it's not something you change depending on how good they are playing.

liamh2202
30-06-2015, 10:47 AM

Yes a disgrace it was... If you believe what u read in here

NAE NOOKIE
30-06-2015, 10:55 AM
Its all about the tiny percentages the club were on about when Dempster and Stubbs came in.

I would imagine the main factors players look at is money, length of contract, facilities etc .... for people looking to make a living playing football that's how it should be. But after that there are other things that come into play, like how the fans are. What happened at the end of the play off match was unusual in that the applause started a few minutes before the end, a player would have to be made of stone not to have been moved by it and I'm sure the players are being genuine when they mention it.

Fans appreciate effort and recognise bad luck ... as far as I could see last season we had loads of the former and too much of the latter.

jacomo
30-06-2015, 10:56 AM

Not most folk. Some folk, and others were quick to disagree with them.

Stop exaggerating.

jacomo
30-06-2015, 10:58 AM

Fair enough, but Stubbs and at least one player said it on the day. I think the players are referring to a genuine reaction within the dressing room.

Prof. Shaggy
30-06-2015, 11:01 AM

As I recall, a few of the usual suspects....

J-C
30-06-2015, 11:04 AM
I think having players who want to be here rather than looking for a last pay day, plus they all seem to care about how they play and the fans themselves makes a huge difference, We are now seeing a team which we can support again, a proper team built properly with a certain way of playing in mind, rather than just buying random ex SPL players who couldn't give a hoot about us or the club.

Bad Martini
30-06-2015, 11:06 AM
The reality of both games, having been at the final and the game versus the hun bus for 90 minutes.

We gave our best in both games.

Even more so the game versus the huns.

I personally will always follow the club. And support effort, honesty and genuine attemps to win.

For that reason, I, and many others like me, stood and sung our baws off and meant every word. Thats not accepting or liking medicore results. It's (and it doesn't always happen) accepting we done all we could and whilst hard to take, you can do, no more in this life. Fitba, or otherwise.

That leads to the singsong, a lump in yer throat and if yer honest (even if ye drink blood,eat bricks and are stone radge hard as ****), possibly the need to stick on your sunglasses to save yer graces.

**** the huns and the tic. Thats what we were saying both times. But far more than that, we were saying, WE ARE HIBS.

Or I was anyways.

ENDOF.

WeeRussell
30-06-2015, 11:27 AM
Re the final against Celtic.

I remember it as a day where the majority of our fans stood up proud and sang our team through the last 5 minutes, despite the pain of yet another cup-final defeat and another year onto our Scottish Cup wait; while our opponents fans left quietly to beat the traffic after yet another trophy win.

Nobody was celebrating anything - other than being proud of being Hibees. It'll take more than relentless negativity amongst a minority, or a few posts on kickback suggesting we accept getting beat, to change that.

Keep the faith. :flag:

Sammy7nil
30-06-2015, 11:49 AM
Re the final against Celtic.

I remember it as a day where the majority of our fans stood up proud and sang our team through the last 5 minutes, despite the pain of yet another cup-final defeat and another year onto our Scottish Cup wait; while our opponents fans left quietly to beat the traffic after yet another trophy win.

Nobody was celebrating anything - other than being proud of being Hibees. It'll take more than relentless negativity amongst a minority, or a few posts on kickback suggesting we accept getting beat, to change that.

Keep the faith. :flag:

We as a club do accept defeat that is a sad fact. Nothing wrong with supporting the team but what we really need to do is compete and be proud we did our best and pushed our opponents all the way. Something we failed miserably to do at that cup final.

Mikey09
30-06-2015, 12:37 PM
As I recall, a few of the usual suspects....

Shock... :shocked:

NOT!!!!!!! :faf:

Bishop Hibee
30-06-2015, 02:30 PM
We as a club do accept defeat that is a sad fact. Nothing wrong with supporting the team but what we really need to do is compete and be proud we did our best and pushed our opponents all the way. Something we failed miserably to do at that cup final.

Who at the club accepts defeat? Not me. Its a Hertz myth repeated by many in the media.

JimBHibees
30-06-2015, 02:41 PM
The reality of both games, having been at the final and the game versus the hun bus for 90 minutes.

We gave our best in both games.

Even more so the game versus the huns.

I personally will always follow the club. And support effort, honesty and genuine attemps to win.

For that reason, I, and many others like me, stood and sung our baws off and meant every word. Thats not accepting or liking medicore results. It's (and it doesn't always happen) accepting we done all we could and whilst hard to take, you can do, no more in this life. Fitba, or otherwise.

That leads to the singsong, a lump in yer throat and if yer honest (even if ye drink blood,eat bricks and are stone radge hard as ****), possibly the need to stick on your sunglasses to save yer graces.

**** the huns and the tic. Thats what we were saying both times. But far more than that, we were saying, WE ARE HIBS.

Or I was anyways.

ENDOF.

Agree with every word it was about reaffirming to all who we are and supporting the team and the management at the time.

Pete
30-06-2015, 03:53 PM
We as a club do accept defeat that is a sad fact.

I'm sorry but that's a load of nonsense which doesn't even mean anything.

What do you want people to do after a defeat then and how do you go about not accepting defeat?

No sporting team or football club "accepts defeat" and statements like yours are simply helping to promote this myth that we are institutionally or fundamentally flawed. It's the sort of crap that hearts fans have been peddling recently.

Onion
30-06-2015, 04:44 PM

Gray mentioned it
Fyvie mentioned it
Stevenson mentioned it

They might have thought it was sweet, but rest assured it had zero to do with them signing contracts. They've all be briefed by the same PR guy :wink:

monktonharp
01-07-2015, 12:27 AM
We as a club do accept defeat that is a sad fact. Nothing wrong with supporting the team but what we really need to do is compete and be proud we did our best and pushed our opponents all the way. Something we failed miserably to do at that cup final.being a bit naughty, aren't you? we pushed one of our opponents last season, so much that we actually ended up above them yet got beat by a goal over 2 legs. who got the luck ? them, not us. likewise with the semi final last season. who got the luck? them not us. I don't like pandering on about bad luck, but I will say this................if there is bad luck about to happen in a fitba match, it will happen ti Hibs!

Steve20
01-07-2015, 10:38 AM
being a bit naughty, aren't you? we pushed one of our opponents last season, so much that we actually ended up above them yet got beat by a goal over 2 legs. who got the luck ? them, not us. likewise with the semi final last season. who got the luck? them not us. I don't like pandering on about bad luck, but I will say this................if there is bad luck about to happen in a fitba match, it will happen ti Hibs!

Playoff and semi final defeats were nothing to do with luck. It was not being able to score that cost us. Players not taking chances is not bad luck, it's just bad finishing.

Bad Martini
01-07-2015, 11:22 AM
Playoff and semi final defeats were nothing to do with luck. It was not being able to score that cost us. Players not taking chances is not bad luck, it's just bad finishing.

Aye. Agreed. Those games weren't followed by a resounding and heart felt chorus of Sunshine on Leith though, even though the first play off was at hunbrox.

I do agree that we done ourselves in those matches though. :agree: