PDA

View Full Version : Sammy Clingan

Hibeesmad
30-06-2015, 01:40 AM
Been told that we have held talks with him. No idea if he is likely to sign but he didn't seem like a bad player at Killie?

Winston Ingram
30-06-2015, 06:54 AM
Been told that we have held talks with him. No idea if he is likely to sign but he didn't seem like a bad player at Killie?

Scored a raker at ER a couple of years back

Bronson
30-06-2015, 07:26 AM
I actually thought he was very good when I saw him for Killie, that was a couple years ago, mind.

allezsauzee
30-06-2015, 07:27 AM
At 31 he's getting on a bit. Stubbsie has tended to sign younger players, so I'd be surprised by this.

vanNISHtelroy
30-06-2015, 07:29 AM
Good player, was disappointed to see him go. Always seems to be unfit and picks up a lot of injuries. Wouldn't be a bad signing for you though.

Greenblood70
30-06-2015, 07:39 AM
Would add some experience and could fit the profile for the type of. Defensive midfielder we're after. Can't say I remember too much about him tho, other than he was a Northern Ireland international.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ronniekirk
30-06-2015, 07:46 AM
Good player, was disappointed to see him go. Always seems to be unfit and picks up a lot of injuries. Wouldn't be a bad signing for you though.
On that basis and his age ,he isn't for us .We don't need another player who isn't fit and injury prone .a small squad like ours can't accommodate that risk IMO ,especially that we Need to strengthen in that area .Stubbs has said the next midfield signing is crucial to his plans .He needs someone who can win the ball back ,and also play ,someone to add a bit of Steel ,and don't think he meant someone with lots of steel plates in legs because of surgery who is injury prone

Nutmegged
30-06-2015, 07:57 AM
Whether Clingan is the player we are after or not we should never be put off signing someone who the manager would feel will improve thr first team by their age, there's absolutely nothing wrong with bringing in experienced Internationalists, often those are the type of players that help the younger players reach their potential

Unseen work
30-06-2015, 09:41 AM
Hardly an exciting signing, quite old, no one really knows what he's like. Certainly doesn't seem the biggest or most physical guy.

However if that's who Stubbs wants then I 100% trust his judgement

CapitalGreen
30-06-2015, 09:58 AM
Hardly an exciting signing, quite old, no one really knows what he's like. Certainly doesn't seem the biggest or most physical guy.

I would definitely consider him a physical player.

NORTHERNHIBBY
30-06-2015, 09:59 AM
Happy enough that we are actively looking for this type of player.

JimBHibees
30-06-2015, 10:01 AM

Good footballer that can put his foot in and can take a decent free kick. Issues would be he doesnt always appear to be the fittest and can pick up an injury however quality wise he could do a job IMO.

nellio
30-06-2015, 10:06 AM
Replacement for Robbo perhaps?

Smartie
30-06-2015, 10:24 AM

Not sure how those characteristics would equate with a good signing for us irrespective of how good a player they are.

And I'm not remotely bothered by the age thing. We've has some magnificent signings over the years who have come to us in the twilight of their careers and more than done a shift. Whilst I don't think we should go down the The Rangers route of having a whole team of 35 year olds having one or two players in their thirties would help us when the going gets tough. As long as those players aren't those whose only attribute is their pace or mobility.

Paatelainen, Sauzee, Best, Burridge, Archibald, Murdo, Brewster, Leighton……...

PeterboroHibee
30-06-2015, 10:32 AM
[/B]

Not sure how those characteristics would equate with a good signing for us irrespective of how good a player they are.

And I'm not remotely bothered by the age thing. We've has some magnificent signings over the years who have come to us in the twilight of their careers and more than done a shift. Whilst I don't think we should go down the The Rangers route of having a whole team of 35 year olds having one or two players in their thirties would help us when the going gets tough. As long as those players aren't those whose only attribute is their pace or mobility.

Paatelainen, Sauzee, Best, Burridge, Archibald, Murdo, Brewster, Leighton……...

I agree. I dont see why his age is such an issue, and at 31, he isnt even that old.... We have a reasonably young squad (particularly in midfield), so having a more experienced guy in there would be a good thing, provided he was the standard required.

If he does indeed have fitness or injury issues then it would be a no however. We already have limited numbers in midfield, so we need someone who we can rely on to stay fit.

Unseen work
30-06-2015, 10:33 AM
I would definitely consider him a physical player.

Good, honestly don't think I have seen him play, I just thought going by his look as I thought Stubbs was meaning a taller, broader type of guy. If he's physical though he fits what we need

Big Sexy Dave
30-06-2015, 11:37 AM
Asked a Killie fan what he thinks of him.

"not the most quickest or flashiest but would help you lot out! an EssPeeHell version of barry at everton but also scores free kicks!"

S4uzee
30-06-2015, 11:40 AM

"not the most quickest or flashiest but would help you lot out! an EssPeeHell version of barry at everton but also scores free kicks!"

Wouldn't take an opinion from a killie fan serious, they're happy with Boyd Hamill and potentially McCulloch

Ozyhibby
30-06-2015, 11:42 AM

The free kick thing would be a boost as we have not had a player who can score them since Leigh.

itslegaltender
30-06-2015, 03:13 PM

asked a Killie fan on the TAMB and he says that Clingan was one of their highest paid players, good passer, strong tackler and great free kick taker. Sounds like someone we should be considering. As for his age, think we need a couple of older players to keep the balance in the squad.

Golden Bear
30-06-2015, 03:18 PM
Is a player at the ripe old age of 31 now considered to be at the veteran stage?

I'd have thought that with improved training, coaching, nutrition etc etc, then a professional player should have a longer career than they once had - providing of course that they have looked after themselves.

Heisenberg
30-06-2015, 03:23 PM
I've also asked a Killie fan I know and was told he's a very good player but too injury prone.

J-C
30-06-2015, 04:11 PM
I've also asked a Killie fan I know and was told he's a very good player but too injury prone.

That being the case, bring Thomson back :greengrin

Dashing Bob S
30-06-2015, 05:52 PM
Would also like to see us go for Jimmy Rommulen and Chris Borg. The latter particularly should be easy to assimilate into our current squad.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
30-06-2015, 05:54 PM
No thanks. Too injury prone and we could do better IMO.

patch1875
30-06-2015, 06:00 PM
Does he play on the starboard bow?

SquashedFrogg
30-06-2015, 08:11 PM

If there's any truth in the rumour I'd prefer to use our managers and sports-science/fitness experts views on the player.

The guy has a decent pedigree and is capped at all levels for NI (36 caps for full side). Certainly worth a look I'd have thought?

Maybe we can do better but I've yet to see this list of 'amazing players' who we can sign? Who would you suggest we can sign who is better?

Saturday Boy
30-06-2015, 09:49 PM
Would also like to see us go for Jimmy Rommulen and Chris Borg. The latter particularly should be easy to assimilate into our current squad.

A signing that would live long and prosper:wink:

R'Albin
30-06-2015, 10:46 PM
If there's any truth in the rumour I'd prefer to use our managers and sports-science/fitness experts views on the player.

The guy has a decent pedigree and is capped at all levels for NI (36 caps for full side). Certainly worth a look I'd have thought?

Maybe we can do better but I've yet to see this list of 'amazing players' who we can sign? Who would you suggest we can sign who is better?

I don't get people's use of this "well could you name someone better" argument every time somebody doesn't think a player is good enough. Why can't they have that opinion without being asked to produce a list of players whom they'd rather sign?

Paloschi
30-06-2015, 10:50 PM
Sammy Clingan for me is not the standard I would like to see us go for but we do have a very limited budget.

hibees 7062
30-06-2015, 11:18 PM
Scored a raker at ER a couple of years back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkW-h7Nc8mY&feature=player_detailpage

Big Sexy Dave
01-07-2015, 12:17 AM

Can we? who better can we afford that will in all likely be 3rd choice central midfielder?