PDA

View Full Version : McGeogh not coming

Scouse Hibee
29-06-2015, 06:00 PM
Signed one year extension and wont be loaned to Hibs

ancient hibee
29-06-2015, 06:02 PM
He'll be loaned to someone else then-he's no future at Celtic.

Since90+2
29-06-2015, 06:02 PM

Thats disappointing. Think Dylan is a great player at Championship level

Jim44
29-06-2015, 06:07 PM

Celtic won't want to help us hold their ugly sister back from promotion.

The_Sauz
29-06-2015, 06:07 PM

I think it was more like Celtic have activated the one year extension on his original contract (just like Wolves did with LG) :wink:

emerald green
29-06-2015, 06:09 PM
Why wont he be loaned to Hibs? Is it to do with money / his wages?

Presumably then, he will just waste away not getting a regular game at Sellick, unless he is loaned out to another club, one which also plays in Glasgow. :cb

SquashedFrogg
29-06-2015, 06:10 PM
I'd be very happy if he returned but if he doesn't then I'm sure we will replace with a player equally as good.

Either way he done well for us and I wish him well.

greenlex
29-06-2015, 06:11 PM
Part of a deal that will see Scott Allan heading west with Dylan heading East.

Since90+2
29-06-2015, 06:13 PM

If that's the case throw in a couple of hundred grand and it's not a bad deal IMO.

Beefster
29-06-2015, 06:13 PM
I'm obviously in the minority but I can't say I'm bothered about McGeoch not coming back. He was way less effective than Allan and Fyvie and, IMHO, should be relatively easy to replace.

keep the faith
29-06-2015, 06:15 PM

Allan is 10 times the player. Hopefully hibs wouldn't be that stupid.

givescotlandfreedom
29-06-2015, 06:17 PM
That's a bit disappointing if so but if he signed another deal with them then he's free to waste his career any way he wishes.

Elephant Stone
29-06-2015, 06:20 PM
I'm obviously in the minority but I can't say I'm bothered about McGeoch not coming back. He was way less effective than Allan and Fyvie and, IMHO, should be relatively easy to replace.

He was brilliant in the earlier stages of the season, really effective at raising the tempo of our play and would always take the ball forward. Even if the players around him were quite still, he'd be brave and make an effort to take the ball forward with pace, a bit like Scott Brown.
He seemed to be injured once every few weeks in the latter stages, though, and his form did drop. I think he'll be a really useful player for whoever signs him, if he can stay fit.

iwasthere1972
29-06-2015, 06:21 PM
Wish him well. Good wee player who did well when with us.

Just a shame that he will be bench warming for the next year unless he goes out on loan.

DH1875
29-06-2015, 06:22 PM
He'll be loaned to someone else then-he's no future at Celtic.

Why would they take up the years option on him though? Their gonna be paying his wages for another year.

Famous Fiver
29-06-2015, 06:25 PM
If they try to use McGeouch as a bargaining tool for Scott Allan they should be told to gtf. Allan is crucial to us. If Hibs sell Allan to either of the bigot brothers they will be looking at empty terracings all season. Petrie wouldn't be that daft, surely?

scoopyboy
29-06-2015, 06:26 PM

Not strictly true.

Celtic took up a one year option, Dylan had no say in it.

Don't see any point however in Celtic loaning him out to Hibs or indeed any other club.

He'll either be sold or used as a makeweight in another deal, hopefully not Scott Allan.

Pretty sure he won't be playing for Celtic.

emerald green
29-06-2015, 06:29 PM

I'm not so sure he will be so easy to replace. Do you have anyone in mind?

gaz1875
29-06-2015, 06:29 PM
He was brilliant in the earlier stages of the season, really effective at raising the tempo of our play and would always take the ball forward. Even if the players around him were quite still, he'd be brave and make an effort to take the ball forward with pace, a bit like Scott Brown.
He seemed to be injured once every few weeks in the latter stages, though, and his form did drop. I think he'll be a really useful player for whoever signs him, if he can stay fit.

I said the same today to a mate. Best player until the injury then never quite peaked to the same level. I could name a good few other Hibs players who have done similar through the years.

Scouse Hibee
29-06-2015, 06:30 PM
Not strictly true.

Don't see any point however in Celtic loaning him out to Hibs or indeed any other club.

He'll either be sold or used as a makeweight in another deal, hopefully not Scott Allan.

He signed a one year extension so factually it is in fact strictly true ;-)

brog
29-06-2015, 06:31 PM
Not strictly true.

You beat me to it Scoops, I agree 100%. We should remember however that Celtc are basically skint, especially after some stunning signings in recent seasons. They're pretty much operating in the Bosman & loan market &, as you say, they probably think the small investment required to pay DM's wages may pay off if he's used as a makeweight in another deal. I've posted for weeks I expect them to go for SA but hopefully not yet!

SquashedFrogg
29-06-2015, 06:33 PM
That's a bit disappointing if so but if he signed another deal with them then he's free to waste his career any way he wishes.

Not sure he's wasting' his career. From what we saw last year I'm sure he'll have a decent pro career. Maybe he's been given assurances that he'll get match time (cup games etc?) Maybe he feels he's good enough to make it at Celtic and wants to give it one last shot?

Who knows but I'm not sure staying at Celtic for another season will 'waste' his career.

Seems a good lad and I wish him well.

Sergey
29-06-2015, 06:34 PM

This..

Not strictly true.

...and this!

He won't kick another ball for Celtic.

Ronniekirk
29-06-2015, 06:34 PM
Not strictly true.

The strictly not sure bit I have no idea but you are spot on with the rest of the post Scoops

Scouse Hibee
29-06-2015, 06:36 PM
Of course Hibs could still buy him,

SquashedFrogg
29-06-2015, 06:42 PM

This for me :agree: I think they know we want him and another year makes us pay a fee. (or part of a Scott Allan deal)

If we can buy at a reasonable price then I'd be comfortable with that but if it's part of a 'deal' then no thanks.

Ozyhibby
29-06-2015, 06:46 PM
If that's the case throw in a couple of hundred grand and it's not a bad deal IMO.

That would be the equivalent of Hibs paying a fee of a few hundred grand for mcgeogh.
There is no chance we are going to start paying transfer fees again.

J-C
29-06-2015, 06:52 PM
Never understand a team like Celtic doing this with a young player, he's obviously not in their plans but lets trigger the extension anyway and muck around with his career.

tamig
29-06-2015, 06:53 PM

He was our top man in the first ER derby and stuck out in the early part of the season when Allan was still getting up to speed. I don't think he was ever fully fit after his first injury and I'd love to see him back again after a full pre season. Shame if it doesn't happen.

Michael
29-06-2015, 06:55 PM
You beat me to it Scoops, I agree 100%. We should remember however that Celtc are basically skint, especially after some stunning signings in recent seasons. They're pretty much operating in the Bosman & loan market &, as you say, they probably think the small investment required to pay DM's wages may pay off if he's used as a makeweight in another deal. I've posted for weeks I expect them to go for SA but hopefully not yet!

I doubt Celtic are skint after bringing in millions in transfer fees and from European football.

Why would they waste money on expensive players if their closest rival is Aberdeen?

Celtic could sign SA if they really wanted to. If they have no competition in getting him signed this window they'll save a few quid and get him on a pre-contract in January if he's still on good form and they still want him.

jacomo
29-06-2015, 07:09 PM

Will you let me know if you ever sell a house? Fancy buying it off you, I think I'll get a really good deal.

SquashedFrogg
29-06-2015, 07:14 PM
Will you let me know if you ever sell a house? Fancy buying it off you, I think I'll get a really good deal.

I have a 1 year option on his house so you'll have to wait :greengrin

Since90+2
29-06-2015, 07:15 PM

If we got McGeouch and £250k for Allan I don't think it would be a bad piece of business.

Not saying I want it to happen , preference would be to keep Allan , but if it did materialise I don't think it's a too bad a deal (especially if Allan made it clear he wanted to go).

Swedish hibee
29-06-2015, 07:15 PM
I'm not fussed about him TBH. But what has happened to Robertson? Where is he?

Jonnyboy
29-06-2015, 07:16 PM

Signed for some unprouncable Romanian team

SquashedFrogg

:hmmm:

jacomo
I have a 1 year option on his house so you'll have to wait :greengrin

Bah.

Thought there was a chance for some easy money.

J-C
29-06-2015, 07:21 PM
If we got McGeouch and £250k for Allan I don't think it would be a bad piece of business.

Not saying I want it to happen , preference would be to keep Allan , but if it did materialise I don't think it's a too bad a deal (especially if Allan made it clear he wanted to go).

Allan's twice the player McGeouch is plus Dylan is injured a lot, you'll only get a minimum of 20+ games from him.

Since90+2
29-06-2015, 07:25 PM
Allan's twice the player McGeouch is plus Dylan is injured a lot, you'll only get a minimum of 20+ games from him.

I agree. Hence why I think Celtic would have to offer Dylan AND money to get Scotty. The fact Allan can sign a pre contract in 6 months also weakens our hand slightly in any negotiations.

I don't think anyone really knows if it's even being considered so this could all be a pointless discussion :greengrin

AlbertK86
29-06-2015, 07:27 PM
If Allan is still with us in January I wouldn't be surprised if Celtic go for him on a pre contract and use Dylan as bait to get Allan there in January

Would definitely take him at Hibs but not in that scenario

I have a bad bad feeling Dylan may end up at they horrible poppy thieves

GreenCastle
29-06-2015, 07:29 PM
I agree. Hence why I think Celtic would have to offer Dylan AND money to get Scotty. The fact Allan can sign a pre contract in 6 months also weakens our hand slightly in any negotiations.

I don't think anyone really knows if it's even being considered so this could all be a pointless discussion :greengrin

When does Dylan's contract expire?

Summer 2016? If so can we not offer him a pre-contract in 6 months also?

I think Dylan is a quality player and would love him back at ER but seems like he will just be sitting picking up a paycheck at Celtic.

Jim44
29-06-2015, 07:30 PM

Plenty of that on this message board. :greengrin

Ozyhibby
29-06-2015, 07:34 PM

That would be a terrible deal for us.
Why would we pay a fee for a player like mcgeogh? He's decent but nowhere near the quality of Allan.

The_Exile
29-06-2015, 07:34 PM
Player with the attributes of McGeouch is replaceable IMO, it's just that we're so used to the likes of Tudor-Jones, Deegan, Scott, Keenan etc that Dylan stands out. A player like McCabe would be a tailor-made replacement. Allan will be here until next summer, he's worth more to us for this season then leave for nothing, than a paltry couple of hundred thousand either now or in January.

Jim44
29-06-2015, 07:37 PM
When does Dylan's contract expire?

Summer 2016? If so can we not offer him a pre-contract in 6 months also?

I think Dylan is a quality player and would love him back at ER but seems like he will just be sitting picking up a paycheck at Celtic.

How about, we get McGeoch on loan and get him on a pre-contract for season 2016. We keep SA but let him sign a pre-contract with Celtic for 2016. We score on both with nothing to lose as SA will probably be away at the end of this season anyway.

SquashedFrogg
29-06-2015, 07:40 PM
That would be a terrible deal for us.
Why would we pay a fee for a player like mcgeogh? He's decent but nowhere near the quality of Allan.

Because he's under contract with another club and if we wanted him we would have to pay a fee?

givescotlandfreedom
29-06-2015, 07:41 PM
Not sure he's wasting' his career. From what we saw last year I'm sure he'll have a decent pro career. Maybe he's been given assurances that he'll get match time (cup games etc?) Maybe he feels he's good enough to make it at Celtic and wants to give it one last shot?

Who knows but I'm not sure staying at Celtic for another season will 'waste' his career.

Seems a good lad and I wish him well.

If he wants to play football i don't think it'll be in a Celtic shirt. iMO they have a lot better. If he's not playing I'd argue that's a year of it gone when he's wanted elsewhere.

Beefster
29-06-2015, 07:44 PM
I'm not so sure he will be so easy to replace. Do you have anyone in mind?

No. If I had a team of experts scouting for me, I'm sure I would though.

SquashedFrogg
29-06-2015, 07:48 PM
How about, we get McGeoch on loan and get him on a pre-contract for season 2016. We keep SA but let him sign a pre-contract with Celtic for 2016. We score on both with nothing to lose as SA will probably be away at the end of this season anyway.

Be careful with your sense of realism! Prepare to be shot down in flames...

Allan will be away at some point. The signs so far seem to point towards a pre-contract/free agent route. Not unusual for footballers to do this. Thus; we have to try and maximise our position.

It's not a lack of intent by the club, nor is it poor judgement. It's managing a situation.

I've no doubt that he's very happy here but if he isn't going to sign a new deal then that tells everyone that this isn't a long term relationship.

SquashedFrogg
29-06-2015, 07:49 PM

:aok:

IanM
29-06-2015, 07:50 PM

Just need a few more HSL members 👌🏻

SquashedFrogg
29-06-2015, 07:51 PM
Players come - players go...

We are fortunate that our club now have a structure in place to find good players that fit in our team.

Butcher had a guy in a shell suit looking in bookies for players...

Thankfully we are miles beyond that

brog
29-06-2015, 07:54 PM
[QUOTE=Michael;4405378]I doubt Celtic are skint after bringing in millions in transfer fees and from European football.

Why would they waste money on expensive players if their closest rival is Aberdeen?

Celtic are skint because they've failed in Europe recently & they buy players to advance in Europe, not beat Aberdeen. Celtc's policy is/was to find a relatively unknown player & sell him on for a huge profit. It worked with Wanyama but in last year or 2 has failed miserably with Scepovic, Balde, Pukki, Bangura Boerrigter & I'm sure others I've forgotten about. They lost about £10m with those 5. They're now reverting to try & get Scottish players cheap, LG, Mackay-Steven, Armstrong etc. In European terms Celtc are skint & I do enjoy the irony of the greatest fans in the world complaining that it's just so unfair they can't compete internationally now! Shame!

emerald green
29-06-2015, 07:58 PM

Fair enough.

hibsbollah
29-06-2015, 08:10 PM

thats the way I saw him too.

Ozyhibby
29-06-2015, 08:11 PM
Because he's under contract with another club and if we wanted him we would have to pay a fee?

He's not good enough to justify us paying a fee. If a fee is required then we move on to another player.

CRAZYHIBBY
29-06-2015, 10:02 PM
Never heard of mcgeogh....but that mcgoosh laddie was a cracking player

Unseen work
29-06-2015, 10:14 PM
He's not good enough to justify us paying a fee. If a fee is required then we move on to another player.

Tbf though, there are very few players that warrant hibs paying a fee for, same for most Scottish clubs, very little have the cash or can justify it

Scouse Hibee
29-06-2015, 10:17 PM
Never heard of mcgeogh....but that mcgoosh laddie was a cracking player

Is this a whoosh or a Mcgoosh moment.

Ken
29-06-2015, 11:05 PM
£500k + McGeough on a 3 year deal in exchange for Allan with a 15% sell on clause - Yes or No?

I would be tempted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ozyhibby
29-06-2015, 11:09 PM
£500k + McGeough on a 3 year deal in exchange for Allan with a 15% sell on clause - Yes or No?

I would be tempted

No chance. We need Allan for THIS season. We need promoted. Nothing else matters. At all.

Ken
29-06-2015, 11:13 PM
Fair point and to keep Allan for this season would be a huge boost for our chances of promotion, but to sign a player of Dylan's quality on a 3 year deal with £500k to spend on wages (a couple of additional players on £2k a week) would definitely soften the blow

MWHIBBIES
29-06-2015, 11:44 PM
Allan is 10 times the player. Hopefully hibs wouldn't be that stupid.He isn't even close to being 10 times the player, don't be silly. They are very different players but McGeogh was easily as good at his job as Allan was at his last season.

Nutmegged
30-06-2015, 09:15 AM
Celtic are skint because they've failed in Europe recently & they buy players to advance in Europe, not beat Aberdeen. Celtc's policy is/was to find a relatively unknown player & sell him on for a huge profit. It worked with Wanyama but in last year or 2 has failed miserably with Scepovic, Balde, Pukki, Bangura Boerrigter & I'm sure others I've forgotten about. They lost about £10m with those 5. They're now reverting to try & get Scottish players cheap, LG, Mackay-Steven, Armstrong etc. In European terms Celtc are skint & I do enjoy the irony of the greatest fans in the world complaining that it's just so unfair they can't compete internationally now! Shame!

Its not really failed though has it? In 2010 they got £10m for McGeady, in 2012 it was £6.5m for Ki Seung Yeung, 2013 it was £12.5m for Wanyama, 2014 it was £10m for their keeper Forster and this year it'll be the best part of about £8m for Van Dijk

they have wasted a shed lot of cash on crap projects but I think their blueprint is to make one big sale per year and apart from 2011 they've been pretty consistent

ancient hibee
30-06-2015, 01:03 PM
Its not really failed though has it? In 2010 they got £10m for McGeady, in 2012 it was £6.5m for Ki Seung Yeung, 2013 it was £12.5m for Wanyama, 2014 it was £10m for their keeper Forster and this year it'll be the best part of about £8m for Van Dijk

they have wasted a shed lot of cash on crap projects but I think their blueprint is to make one big sale per year and apart from 2011 they've been pretty consistent

Yep if that's being skint could I have some please.

Allan would find it very difficult at Parkhead.In midfield -Brown,Mulgrew,Johansen,Commons,Biton,Armstrong.Out wide-McKay-Steven,Forrest,Stokes and Griffiths sometimes-he wouldn't play much.Sure McGeough will be out on loan again-he'll agitate for it because he's unlikely to play.

Nutmegged
30-06-2015, 01:08 PM
Plus I really liked the look of that kid Henderson that has been on loan to Rosenborg, I think he's also in front of McGeouch now, that being said I'd be very happy of we went in for him on loan

leggeto
30-06-2015, 04:58 PM

Not easy to replace for me he was one of the best players last season,wish him well though

anon1875
30-06-2015, 05:49 PM
Scotty Allan doesn't really fit in to their style of play and even if he did, wouldn't get in to the team over Johansen who's the best player in Scotland at the moment, Commons is also a backup in the same position. SA needs to play every week at his age to improve and he won't get that at Celtic. Also Peter Lawwel is a cretin and actually wants Rangers back in the league for $ reasons so probably wouldn't loan him back for that reason alone.

On topic - Happy to see McGeough get an extension as he done well for us and deserved it, would really like to see him back in a Hibs shirt one day though.

keep the faith
30-06-2015, 10:20 PM
He isn't even close to being 10 times the player, don't be silly. They are very different players but McGeogh was easily as good at his job as Allan was at his last season.

Let's see how their careers pan out. Allan is a special talent. Dylan was ok but I'm not bothered if he doesn't come back

Paloschi
30-06-2015, 10:45 PM
I would be happy to see McGeoch back at Hibs but feel that keeping Allan and signing Fyvie were priorities. I think he will go on loan to a premiership club and do well.

Ronniekirk
30-06-2015, 10:48 PM
I would be happy to see McGeoch back at Hibs but feel that keeping Allan and signing Fyvie were priorities. I think he will go on loan to a premiership club and do well.

Stubbs in Scottish Herald stating he hasn't given up all hope of signing Mcgeoch ,and not happy Paul Murray openly coveting S A

MWHIBBIES
30-06-2015, 11:35 PM
Let's see how their careers pan out. Allan as a special talent. Dylan was ok but I'm not bothered if he doesn't come backYes, how their careers pan out will be a useful indicator of how good they were last season...

Also Allan has failed in England and is now playing in the second division in Scotland, hardly the career of a special talent. He is good no doubt, potential to be very good but he isn't Iniesta like some make out.

monktonharp
30-06-2015, 11:50 PM
Stubbs in Scottish Herald stating he hasn't given up all hope of signing Mcgeoch ,and not happy Paul Murray openly coveting S Awho's Paul Murray? genuine enquiry, is he a Herald sports reporter?

hfc rd
01-07-2015, 12:11 AM
who's Paul Murray? genuine enquiry, is he a Herald sports reporter?

The rangers vice chairman.

monktonharp
01-07-2015, 12:35 AM
The rangers vice chairman.thanks for that. makes me hate him more than I thought:wink:

Broken Gnome
01-07-2015, 08:22 AM
Stubbs in Scottish Herald stating he hasn't given up all hope of signing Mcgeoch ,and not happy Paul Murray openly coveting S A

Any criticism of those talking about another team's player is always best backed up by....

matty_f
01-07-2015, 08:25 AM
Any criticism of those talking about another team's player is always best backed up by....

To be fair to Stubbs, he did say he was Celtc's player and we'd only be interested if something changed there.

Broken Gnome
01-07-2015, 08:29 AM
To be fair to Stubbs, he did say he was Celtc's player and we'd only be interested if something changed there.

I know, just thought it wasn't the greatest way to make a point.

To be fair, in cases of Stubbs v Rangers, he doesn't ever need to be fair.

J-C
01-07-2015, 08:29 AM

Plus there's a big difference in talking about a player coming on loan and talking about wanting a player who is still under contract.

CallumLaidlaw
01-07-2015, 08:38 AM

When you read the interview, its quite clear he's been asked "Are you still interested in McGeoch". He then says he's Celtics player

matty_f
01-07-2015, 08:45 AM
I know, just thought it wasn't the greatest way to make a point.

To be fair, in cases of Stubbs v Rangers, he doesn't ever need to be fair.

:agree:

Nutmegged
01-07-2015, 09:37 AM
I know it might seem a tad hypocritical of Stubbs to have a go at Murray talking about Scott Allan while he might be rather selective with his terminology regarding Dylan McGeouch but I do genuinely believe there's a difference

The fact that Allan is our star man and has been publicly spoken about by our biggest rivals while McGeouch has just spent the Season on loan at Easter Road while seemingly out of the picture at the biggest team in Scotland suggests the obvious difference, lets face it, as much as we love Hibs, nothing our club could do or say could entice someone from Celtic if they were playing for them

Callum_62
01-07-2015, 09:40 AM
RUMOUR:
Fans News understands Hibs have had very positive discussions with Celtic over Dylan McGeough. We believe a deal is very close to being completed.
Stay Tuned for more info..

greenginger
01-07-2015, 09:54 AM
The rangers vice chairman.

And director of the former club Rangers 1872 now liquidation.

Jim44
01-07-2015, 10:07 AM
I know it might seem a tad hypocritical of Stubbs to have a go at Murray talking about Scott Allan while he might be rather selective with his terminology regarding Dylan McGeouch but I do genuinely believe there's a difference

The fact that Allan is our star man and has been publicly spoken about by our biggest rivals while McGeouch has just spent the Season on loan at Easter Road while seemingly out of the picture at the biggest team in Scotland suggests the obvious difference, lets face it, as much as we love Hibs, nothing our club could do or say could entice someone from Celtic if they were playing for them

On the theme of managers and management publicly talking about other teams players, John Collins takes the biscuit. After having a £900k bid turned down for Ciftci, Collins says "He has obviously played against us many times last year, he's a big striker, he's strong, he's powerful and he's got technique as well. We like him. I believe there is an approach but that's all I've heard." He then disingenuously goes on to say, "We're looking to strengthen the squad but unfortunately we can't talk about other players and other clubs. It would be unfair and disrespectful to the other clubs to do that but we are looking for new players. He goes on to repeat this again. "We are juggling lots of balls, there are lots of players we have been mentioned with. That is always going to be the case. We want to strengthen all over. It's not fair for me to talk about the names of individuals at clubs. That would be disrespectful to their managers and the players. But we are on the look-out."

Loved you as a player, John, but as a person you you leave much to be desired.

Nutmegged
01-07-2015, 12:49 PM
To be fair I don't think he said to much wrong there Jim, he was asked by a journo about a specific target that Dundee Utd themselves put out there that they bid fot and were rejected, Utd brought this into the public domain, he listed his attributes but thats about it, for the record I think Ciftći would actually weaken Celtic's starting line up, a strange move IMO

Franck Stanton
01-07-2015, 01:00 PM
Just a hunch, but I think that Dylan will be a Hibs player this season. Believe celtic only invoked the seasons option to get some transfer cash for him. Can see his value drop as the transfer window nears closure and if no deal done then, we will be successful in getting him in the Jan transfer window.

Brightside
01-07-2015, 01:14 PM
RUMOUR:
Fans News understands Hibs have had very positive discussions with Celtic over Dylan McGeough. We believe a deal is very close to being completed.
Stay Tuned for more info..

Say we sign him ...we still don't have the "steel" midfielder he said he wants. Not sure how we can pay Dylan and get AN Other Midfielder in.

J-C
01-07-2015, 01:21 PM
If he comes I think it will be as cover for Allan and Fyvie, I think we'll see a 4-3-3 system this year, using the pace and trickery of Boyle/Carmichael/Cummings/Malonga/Keatings etc with only the 3 midfielders being used, if as Stubbs has stated we are after a DM, then where would McGeouch fit in unless as backup or to push the others.

Leithenhibby
01-07-2015, 02:25 PM
Say we sign him ...we still don't have the "steel" midfielder he said he wants. Not sure how we can pay Dylan and get AN Other Midfielder in.

Hibs fans have been signing up to HSL for close on 5 months now!

http://www.hiberniansupporters.co.uk/donate.html :aok:

matty_f
01-07-2015, 02:48 PM

Spot on, it's much easier to sign the players we want if we sign up or get a season ticket!

brog
01-07-2015, 03:15 PM

I think we're in violent agreement here. My point is Celtc now need a significant player sale each year to avoid trading at a loss. In that regard they're really no different to our ( or many other Scottish clubs ) model, albeit they're operating at a higher level with better players & guaranteed European football each year. They definitely speculate to accumulate on these transfers, I think Ki & Forster both cost around £2m but the other 5 huddies I originally mentioned cost at least £10m & that is pretty much lost money. I believe their a/c's this year will be horrendous unless they can flog Van Dijk off quickly.

Billy Whizz
01-07-2015, 05:48 PM
Dylan's not even in Celtic's 23 man squad for tonight's friendly game

Ozyhibby
01-07-2015, 06:11 PM
Dylan's not even in Celtic's 23 man squad for tonight's friendly game

There is no chance that he will play for Celtic. At the end of the window, Celtic will have a decision to make on whether to keep paying him or let him go for free. I doubt anyone will pay a fee.
We might get him then unless we have already used our budget by then.

Billy Whizz
01-07-2015, 06:13 PM
There is no chance that he will play for Celtic. At the end of the window, Celtic will have a decision to make on whether to keep paying him or let him go for free. I doubt anyone will pay a fee.
We might get him then unless we have already used our budget by then.

Seems crazy that they offered him a contract, if they'll let him go for free. Wonder if he'll be a bargaining chip for Cifti's move to Celtic

Ozyhibby
01-07-2015, 06:16 PM
Seems crazy that they offered him a contract, if they'll let him go for free. Wonder if he'll be a bargaining chip for Cifti's move to Celtic

Possibly, but they have to get Dylan to agree as well.

BH Hibs
01-07-2015, 06:21 PM
A bit of a tenuous link but apparently Aiden McGeady has handed in a transfer request and wants to return to Celtic. Second part probably nonsense but if it happens would push Dylan further out the picture.

Leithenhibby
03-07-2015, 11:26 AM

Spot on, it's much easier to sign the players we want if we sign up or get a season ticket!

100% :agree:

It's the last day of ST plan and I would sincerely hope that fans that can't buy a ST for whatever reason, would seriously consider buying into, HSL.

We have all seen first hand the benefits it brings. If not for today, then for the future of Hibernian FC.

You know you want too :wink: http://www.hiberniansupporters.co.uk/donate.html

scoopyboy
03-07-2015, 11:39 AM

Exactly, if Dylan so wished he could just knock back every offer and Celtic would have wasted a years salary for no return.

Ozyhibby
03-07-2015, 11:42 AM
A bit of a tenuous link but apparently Aiden McGeady has handed in a transfer request and wants to return to Celtic. Second part probably nonsense but if it happens would push Dylan further out the picture.

I doubt he was ever in the picture. I very much doubt that Dylan will be at Celtic by the end of the Window. An agreement will be reached and he will move on. Whether it's to us or not remains to be seen.

Del Boy
03-07-2015, 12:46 PM
Been offered to Dundee Utd in part-exchange for Ciftci apparently

Ozyhibby
03-07-2015, 12:58 PM

Will be up to Dylan whether he wants to go there though. I would hope that we will be above Utd in the next couple of years.

Billy Whizz
03-07-2015, 01:04 PM
Will be up to Dylan whether he wants to go there though. I would hope that we will be above Utd in the next couple of years.

A team on a downward spiral

bigwheel
03-07-2015, 01:05 PM
A team on a downward spiral

:-) there is a certain irony of that point being made on our forum! ......

andrew70
03-07-2015, 01:07 PM

We'd pump them if we played them just now and that's without the six signings we still need to make.

He'd be daft to go there but a pay-off from Celtic as well as a starting XI place in the Premiership every week may seal the deal.

since90plustwo
03-07-2015, 01:08 PM

Celtic had the option to extend even if it was completely against Dylans wishes. Clause in his contract.

Scouse Hibee
03-07-2015, 05:23 PM
Celtic had the option to extend even if it was completely against Dylans wishes. Clause in his contract.

Technically, but the reality is he could have turned it down which would normally result in a financial penalty which he could pay or get another club to pay it if he wanted to move there.

Ozyhibby
03-07-2015, 05:42 PM

Yes but they can't make him sign for Dundee Utd or anyone else if he does not want to.

Hibiza
03-07-2015, 06:49 PM
Good game in a blue moon. End up at Partick or Weedgie area.:bye:

Nutmegged
03-07-2015, 06:51 PM
Dundee Utd isn't the death sentence some on here would like to have people believe, they've had their best team this century decimated in the past year but they've also started rebuilding with some exciting young talent too...if McNamara can keep that job I expect a big Season from Soutar, Telfer, Muirhead and Blair Spittal, McGeouch would be a good fit there but obviously I'd prefer him to come here

Steve20
03-07-2015, 07:04 PM
We'd pump them if we played them just now and that's without the six signings we still need to make.

Not a chance. We're not near that level yet. We'd be a bottom six team and would need a good 7-8 players to make a play for top six.

SquashedFrogg
03-07-2015, 07:05 PM

:rolleyes:

SquashedFrogg
03-07-2015, 07:09 PM
Not a chance. We're not near that level yet. We'd be a bottom six team and would need a good 7-8 players to make a play for top six.

I think we would beat them if we played them. Obviously we would need additional players to compete at the top end of the SPL but that wasn't that point?

7-8 players? So you reckon only 3 of our players are good enough for the top six of the SPL?

Which 7 or 8 aren't? Just out of curiosity

Gordy M
03-07-2015, 07:11 PM
Go and name the 8 first team players that you think arent good enough for the scottish prem? Cheers.

B.H.F.C
03-07-2015, 07:15 PM
I think we would beat them if we played them. Obviously we would need additional players to compete at the top end of the SPL but that wasn't that point?

7-8 players? So you reckon only 3 of our players are good enough for the top six of the SPL?

Which 7 or 8 aren't? Just out of curiosity

Pretty much all the players that would be our first 11 would make it in to an spl team. We've got options up front but no depth beyond that. I also think we need a good number of players as things stand. And that's just to get us out the championship.

That is as things stand right now, not necessarily how we will be at the end of August.

eastterrace
03-07-2015, 07:17 PM
Go and name the 8 first team players that you think arent good enough for the scottish prem? Cheers.

i will start the ball rolling ,lewis stevenson :greengrin

SquashedFrogg
03-07-2015, 07:19 PM

Agreed :agree: The frustrating thing just now is that I've no doubt in my mind that we would easily competing top 4 in SPL.

If you think of the players/set-up we have in the Championship then imagine what we will be like in the SPL.

Good things come to those who wait. For me, we are simply re-grouping. In the medium - long term, we will benefit from this stage in our history :flag:

SquashedFrogg
03-07-2015, 07:20 PM
i will start the ball rolling ,lewis stevenson :greengrin

:tee hee:

BOB MARLEYS DUG
03-07-2015, 07:42 PM

Wow 👍🏻😂😳

SquashedFrogg
03-07-2015, 08:06 PM

So does that mean he may end up at Celtic? I'd be astonished if he ended up there....

MWHIBBIES
03-07-2015, 08:07 PM
Good game in a blue moon. End up at Partick or Weedgie area.:bye:Good games all last season, probably our most consistent midfield player.

S4uzee
03-07-2015, 09:39 PM
Agreed :agree: The frustrating thing just now is that I've no doubt in my mind that we would easily competing top 4 in SPL.

If you think of the players/set-up we have in the Championship then imagine what we will be like in the SPL.

Good things come to those who wait. For me, we are simply re-grouping. In the medium - long term, we will benefit from this stage in our history :flag:
Absolutely no danger we'd be top 4! We couldn't even beat a horrible rangers team over 2 legs

ian cruise
04-07-2015, 09:30 AM

With greatest respect I gave to disagree. Dundee did pretty well with a whole load of players plenty on this message board deemed not good enough and, IMHO, aren't as good as the players we replaced them with.

Obviously all players in our team, or any other team, are replaceable if a better option becomes available, however I'd think our current first eleven would finish 5/6th in the league and we are only 3/4 squad players short. Need to get to that league first.

hibees 7062
04-07-2015, 10:44 AM

:agree: £1.25 million and Dylan on loan

Bishop Hibee
04-07-2015, 11:02 AM
If I were Utd I'd say £1.1 and McGeoch permanent and it's a deal. He'd have no problem playing in the top flight.

Ozyhibby
04-07-2015, 11:08 AM
If I were Utd I'd say £1.1 and McGeoch permanent and it's a deal. He'd have no problem playing in the top flight.

£150,000 is quite a high fee for Dundee Utd to be paying for mcgeogh. That money would pay the wages of a decent player for a season.

emerald green
04-07-2015, 11:55 AM

Hibs are nowhere near a position to compete "easily" with Celtic, Aberdeen, Dundee United etc. What evidence is there of this?

Hibs drew with Dundee Utd in a cup tie at home last season and were unlucky to lose on penalties. That's about it. To compete at that higher level, all season, in the top four will require a further step-up for this club. Hibs need to concentrate and focus on getting out of the league they are in, first and foremost.

The squad would then need to be much further strengthened to be a top four club IMO.

hibees 7062
04-07-2015, 02:42 PM
Hibs are nowhere near a position to compete "easily" with Celtic, Aberdeen, Dundee United etc. What evidence is there of this?

Hibs drew with Dundee Utd in a cup tie at home last season and were unlucky to lose on penalties. That's about it. To compete at that higher level, all season, in the top four will require a further step-up for this club. Hibs need to concentrate and focus on getting out of the league they are in, first and foremost.

The squad would then need to be much further strengthened to be a top four club IMO.

Ross County and hertz

Stokesy's on fire
04-07-2015, 05:26 PM

The top flights full of fodder and I agree that the Hibees could cope easily in the league above and put trash like Aberdeen to bed. The entire top flight is packed with teams that are total garbage minus Celtic who are also much weaker these days opposed to the Martin O'neils Celtic sides.

Scouse Hibee
04-07-2015, 05:53 PM
The top flights full of fodder and I agree that the Hibees could cope easily in the league above and put trash like Aberdeen to bed. The entire top flight is packed with teams that are total garbage minus Celtic who are also much weaker these days opposed to the Martin O'neils Celtic sides.

Bizzare assumption seeing as we couldn't even make it to the top flight and the bottom team in that league humped Rangers. A reality check is required.

Del Boy
04-07-2015, 06:34 PM
Bizzare assumption seeing as we couldn't even make it to the top flight and the bottom team in that league humped Rangers. A reality check is required.

Have to agree, although I like the look of our squad I think we're all prone to overhyping our own team. Whilst I think our current team would comfortably survive in the premier I'm not convinced we'd be top 6.

brog
04-07-2015, 06:42 PM

The Well- Sevco game was a one off, which I greatly enjoyed. Well got more good fortune in those 2 games than we had all season. You could also look at the Cup Final where the 3rd team in top div very fortunately beat the 4th team in 2nd tier. If Sevco had made it to top Div they would now be 2nd favs to win it. Do you really think we would struggle to compete with the likes of Ross C, Partick, Hamilton, Killie & Dundee? IMO that's bizarre.

Stokesy's on fire
04-07-2015, 07:51 PM

Totally disagree with you. Our teams good and I hope people turn out next season to enjoy watching us win the championship

Ozyhibby
04-07-2015, 07:55 PM
The Well- Sevco game was a one off, which I greatly enjoyed. Well got more good fortune in those 2 games than we had all season. You could also look at the Cup Final where the 3rd team in top div very fortunately beat the 4th team in 2nd tier. If Sevco had made it to top Div they would now be 2nd favs to win it. Do you really think we would struggle to compete with the likes of Ross C, Partick, Hamilton, Killie & Dundee? IMO that's bizarre.

Ross county have been above us for 5 years now :-(
I do agree we are (and bloody well should be) better than most of the bottom 6 but we have to prove it by getting out this league.

Scouse Hibee
04-07-2015, 08:00 PM

A one off over two games!

Scouse Hibee
04-07-2015, 08:01 PM
Totally disagree with you. Our teams good and I hope people turn out next season to enjoy watching us win the championship

Which is a totally different point to the one you made and which I responded to.

Stokesy's on fire
04-07-2015, 08:08 PM
Which is a totally different point to the one you made and which I responded to.

Please do explain more on this?

emerald green
04-07-2015, 08:13 PM
Ross County and hertz

The last time I looked Ross County weren't a top four side, and the Yams were in the Championship, not top four SPFL. My post was questioning the suggestion Hibs could compete "easily" in the top four of SPFL.

The bits in bold. Seriously? Would that be "fodder" and "total garbage" like some of the part time clubs in the Championship? I doubt it.

Presumably you must have watched Aberdeen last season who finished runners up in the SPFL, and won the League Cup in 2014. If Hibs had done the same, would you consider that to be "trash" too?

Have to agree, although I like the look of our squad I think we're all prone to overhyping our own team. Whilst I think our current team would comfortably survive in the premier I'm not convinced we'd be top 6.

I think this view is a bit more realistic. At the moment, Hibs squad has only one goalkeeper FFS, and looks very short in midfield too (which I'm sure the club is trying to address).

Hibs could, on their day, and given a couple of good signings, probably beat most of the bottom six clubs in SPFL on a one-off basis. But winning very regularly, week after week, which is what would be required to get a top four place in the SPFL, would be asking a lot of the current squad.

This is based on what I've seen of teams in the Championship last season, compared to most of those in the SPFL.

Stokesy's on fire
04-07-2015, 08:22 PM
The last time I looked Ross County weren't a top four side, and the Yams were in the Championship, not top four SPFL. My post was questioning the suggestion Hibs could compete "easily" in the top four of SPFL.

The bits in bold. Seriously? Would that be "fodder" and "total garbage" like some of the part time clubs in the Championship? I doubt it.

Presumably you must have watched Aberdeen last season who finished runners up in the SPFL, and won the League Cup in 2014. If Hibs had done the same, would you consider that to be "trash" too?

I think this view is a bit more realistic. At the moment, Hibs squad has only one goalkeeper FFS, and looks very short in midfield too (which I'm sure the club is trying to address).

Hibs could, on their day, and given a couple of good signings, probably beat most of the bottom six clubs in SPFL on a one-off basis. But winning very regularly, week after week, which is what would be required to get a top four place in the SPFL, would be asking a lot of the current squad.

This is based on what I've seen of teams in the Championship last season, compared to most of those in the SPFL.

Yup watched them enough to know that the only reason they are doing well is because that league is full of crap teams. Scottish football is not a pretty place right now and we should fear no team at all strange things have happened lately so don't rule us out our side is good and we should be proud of the club.

brog
04-07-2015, 08:27 PM
A one off over two games!

It was still a one-off tie. My point is you can't prove anything by referring to one on one games. Based on our record vs Yams last season we should have been neck & neck with them at the top. Based on our record vs Falkirk they should have finished above us. The Well/ Sevco tie was a very enjoyable freak result.

emerald green
04-07-2015, 08:33 PM
Yup watched them enough to know that the only reason they are doing well is because that league is full of crap teams. Scottish football is not a pretty place right now and we should fear no team at all strange things have happened lately so don't rule us out our side is good and we should be proud of the club.

You didn't really answer the points I made. If the SPFL is full of crap teams, are they better or worse than those in the Championship, particularly the part-time clubs in the Championship?

If Hibs were runners up in the SPFL last season, and won the League Cup the season before, would Hibs be "trash" too, like Aberdeen? I'm not trying to "big up" Aberdeen BTW - a club I have no time for putting it mildly.

What are you referring to when you say "strange things have happened lately"? :confused:

I'm not ruling Hibs out of anything. I'm just of the opinion that talking about Hibs competing "easily" in the top 4 in the SPFL is nonsense when Hibs, as a club, are currently languishing in the Championship for a second consecutive season.

My post has nothing to do with pride in the club. Something I've been proud to do most of my life.

EDIT: For SPFL please read Premiership.

GordonHFC
04-07-2015, 08:49 PM
I wish people would stop mixing up the Premiership with the SPFL. We are all the SPFL.

emerald green
04-07-2015, 08:51 PM
I wish people would stop mixing up the Premiership with the SPFL. We are all the SPFL.

Oops my mistake. Must do better. :aok:

GordonHFC
04-07-2015, 08:57 PM
Oops my mistake. Must do better. :aok:

No offence bud. It's just a daft pet hate of mine 😀

emerald green
04-07-2015, 09:01 PM
No offence bud. It's just a daft pet hate of mine 

None taken. I know where you're coming from. Schoolboy error. :rolleyes:

Dashing Bob S
04-07-2015, 09:14 PM
We've been piss-poor for at least five years, so on level we've no right to take the moral high ground.

But we are Hibs and this is football, so we have every right to disdain the toytown clubs of Scottish football (all of them bar us) and call them out for the cheats, chislers, copy cats, glory hunters and minnows that they are.

monktonharp
04-07-2015, 09:21 PM
Have to agree, although I like the look of our squad I think we're all prone to overhyping our own team. Whilst I think our current team would comfortably survive in the premier I'm not convinced we'd be top 6.I disagree with you. we ,even at this stage would be well capable to survive in the Premier League. we were a couple of goals away from being the challengers to Motherwell, although they pumped The Rangers, a team that held on for grim death against us at ER, to go into the final. If we had got back this season,the bigger attendances home and away would have helped our team big style. we will be there at the death, this coming season , and if we do up I expect us to do well. that gorgie mob will probably surprise a few, and I expect them to be near the top end. they have a resilient support, which does help, and if we go up I'd expect our fan base to help in the same way. we wont have another Terry Butcher in the coming years, surely?

monktonharp
04-07-2015, 09:29 PM
We've been piss-poor for at least five years, so on level we've no right to take the moral high ground.

But we are Hibs and this is football, so we have every right to disdain the toytown clubs of Scottish football (all of them bar us) and call them out for the cheats, chislers, copy cats, glory hunters and minnows that they are.truer words never spoken Bob.

jacomo
04-07-2015, 09:37 PM
No offence bud. It's just a daft pet hate of mine 😀

It is a daft pet hate. The rebranding is catastrophically bad. SPFL means nothing to anybody, the top league is effectively nameless, the 'Championship' is a joke (champion of what - the 2nd tier of the Scottish League) and no substantive progress has been made at all.

Direct your anger at the f***wits who agreed to this rebrand instead.

GordonHFC
05-07-2015, 04:53 AM
It is a daft pet hate. The rebranding is catastrophically bad. SPFL means nothing to anybody, the top league is effectively nameless, the 'Championship' is a joke (champion of what - the 2nd tier of the Scottish League) and no substantive progress has been made at all.

Who said I was angry? It's a pet hate because it is a wrong statement irrespective of whether anyone thinks it's right or not.

Ray_
05-07-2015, 07:24 AM

At one time a league used to be called a "league championship", this would be a derivative of that rather than winning anything.

Ronniekirk
05-07-2015, 07:41 AM

But we are Hibs and this is football, so we have every right to disdain the toytown clubs of Scottish football (all of them bar us) and call them out for the cheats, chislers, copy cats, glory hunters and minnows that they are.

The reasons why we have been piss poor for those five possibly longer years have been well aired on other threads .But coincidently some of the teams that you are referring to and have piss poor crowds ,have got their act together and are reaping the benefits .St Johnston have now been in Europe for the past four seasons in a row and established themselves as a top six club and won the Scottish Cup at first time of asking .Inverness have in the last few years found the consistency to be a top six team and maybe last season will prove to be the pinnacle of their achievement in winning Scpttish Cup At first time of asking ,and qualifying for Europe .Ross County have confounded everyone by thier stick ability and Resilience ,to fight thier way out of relegation trouble every year .
So while we have been floundering ,others have flourished and St Johnston in particular seem to have made succession management into an art form .

So minnows and small town teams they may be ,but credit where credit is due We are now in the process under Leeann of laying new foundations to get us back up to that level ,and the green shoots of recovery are well underway ,but the price of another year in the Championship is reflected in Season Ticket Sales to date .
I am not going to start contemplating what position we could be in next season if we didn't get promotion as Stubbs now knows what it takes to be consistent and he has had a years management experience under his belt .
Yep we are the Hibs ,but speak to fans of other clubs and you will find they don't have the same respect for our club and they don't fear us and I do blame Petrie for that .So I think we have a lot of hard work still in front of us ,before we get back to the position we all want our Club to be in ie established top six team ,winning trophies and back in Europe .
Having said all that I think we are assembling a squad ,that once the season starts ,will start attracting more walk up fans back to the fold ,and if we can get the sort of start Hearts managed last Season , I see no reason why we can't emulate what they did if we avoid injuries ,and add a few more quality players ,and bolster squad with some tried and tested players from the championship like Watson from raith for eg
Moan The Hibs :gwa::flag:

AlbertK86
05-07-2015, 08:03 AM
Aye but is McGeoch coming back or not 😉😉

Ronniekirk
05-07-2015, 08:30 AM
Aye but is McGeoch coming back or not 

My view is he won't ,but Stubbs is clearly keen to do a deal if it's possible .Will depend on what the player wants to do as he must know he isn't in Celtics plans at present apart from them offering him to United to try and get Thier top striker off them :wink:

Eyrie
05-07-2015, 10:05 AM
At one time a league used to be called a "league championship", this would be a derivative of that rather than winning anything.
I can understand that applying to an entire league, but not to individual divisions within a unified league like the SPFL. Finishing 13th, 23rd or 33rd does not make you champions of anything, only finishing first does that, so the only team entitled to be called champions in Scotland is the team that finishes top of the Premiership.

The situation in England is different because the Football Championship of 72 clubs is a different organisation to the Premiership of 20 clubs, so it is possible to be Champions of that organisation, even although its top division is the de facto second tier for their country.

Ray_
05-07-2015, 11:55 AM
I can understand that applying to an entire league, but not to individual divisions within a unified league like the SPFL. Finishing 13th, 23rd or 33rd does not make you champions of anything, only finishing first does that, so the only team entitled to be called champions in Scotland is the team that finishes top of the Premiership.

The situation in England is different because the Football Championship of 72 clubs is a different organisation to the Premiership of 20 clubs, so it is possible to be Champions of that organisation, even although its top division is the de facto second tier for their country.

Gosh, people must be really bored. Anybody in Scotland who is interested in football knows what league the championship is, why make an issue of it?

jacomo
05-07-2015, 02:46 PM
Gosh, people must be really bored. Anybody in Scotland who is interested in football knows what league the championship is, why make an issue of it?

It matters because the people in charge of our game are supposed to be doing everything they can to 'sell the product', and they are making a right *** of it.

Maybe you don't mind that top flight clubs in Scotland are competing with English Conference sides for players, but I do.

Ray_
05-07-2015, 03:32 PM
It matters because the people in charge of our game are supposed to be doing everything they can to 'sell the product', and they are making a right *** of it.

Maybe you don't mind that top flight clubs in Scotland are competing with English Conference sides for players, but I do.

That is far more to do with the cash cow SKY is to the English game that has had a profound effect on the game in Scotland.

Forget the past, we are never going to compete with England while SKY [and the like of] are in such a dominant position within football. Scotland's population is around half of that of London alone, therefore that is where the TV companies gain much of the cash, plus the English [cash rich] game is far easier for those TV companies to sell abroad.

I actually think Scottish football is in a better position than it has been in a while, we are actually [again] producing some players that are getting a game in the top flight down south & that is an improvement.

Eyrie
05-07-2015, 10:05 PM

The signings and rumours have dried up, and we don't have a game for a while, so what else is there to do to pass the time?

Anyway, why give the second tier such a misleading name? It's a blatant attempt to ape the English game which fails due to a lack of understanding about our neighbour's structure. Surely the Scottish game is capable of standing on its own two feet and showing some originality?

jacomo
05-07-2015, 10:22 PM
That is far more to do with the cash cow SKY is to the English game that has had a profound effect on the game in Scotland.

Forget the past, we are never going to compete with England while SKY [and the like of] are in such a dominant position within football. Scotland's population is around half of that of London alone, therefore that is where the TV companies gain much of the cash, plus the English [cash rich] game is far easier for those TV companies to sell abroad.

I actually think Scottish football is in a better position than it has been in a while, we are actually [again] producing some players that are getting a game in the top flight down south & that is an improvement.

Let's hope Scottish fitba is on the up. We can all support that.

Ray_
06-07-2015, 05:25 AM
The signings and rumours have dried up, and we don't have a game for a while, so what else is there to do to pass the time?

Anyway, why give the second tier such a misleading name? It's a blatant attempt to ape the English game which fails due to a lack of understanding about our neighbour's structure. Surely the Scottish game is capable of standing on its own two feet and showing some originality?

The SPL came around 18 years before the English equivalent, playing catch up didn't exactly hinder them, although, as I mentioned, SKY is by far the biggest influence in the growth in the English game.

The original structure that was in place when I first started watching football was in place for over 85 years & it didn't get ridiculed because the English first division started some 6 years earlier!

Nutmegged
06-07-2015, 11:37 PM
The SPL came around 18 years before the English equivalent, playing catch up didn't exactly hinder them, although, as I mentioned, SKY is by far the biggest influence in the growth in the English game.

The original structure that was in place when I first started watching football was in place for over 85 years & it didn't get ridiculed because the English first division started some 6 years earlier!

Ehh?

The SPL came about 6 years AFTER the English equilovent - in 1992 the top 24 clubs in England broke away from the Football League to create a top tier "Premiership"...after its success the top 10 Scottish Clubs fancied more of the same, egged on by SKY and broke away from the Scottish Football League in 1998 and the Scottish Premier League (SPL) was born

Ray_
07-07-2015, 05:20 AM
Ehh?

The SPL came about 6 years AFTER the English equilovent - in 1992 the top 24 clubs in England broke away from the Football League to create a top tier "Premiership"...after its success the top 10 Scottish Clubs fancied more of the same, egged on by SKY and broke away from the Scottish Football League in 1998 and the Scottish Premier League (SPL) was born

Scotland brought in the Premier League in 1975-76 season.

Peevemor
07-07-2015, 05:36 AM
Scotland brought in the Premier League in 1975-76 season.

But that was through simple league reconstruction - nothing to do with new bodies/companies being set up. The English premiership and the SPL were effectively breakaway leagues.

Viva_Palmeiras
07-07-2015, 07:29 AM
The reasons why we have been piss poor for those five possibly longer years have been well aired on other threads .But coincidently some of the teams that you are referring to and have piss poor crowds ,have got their act together and are reaping the benefits .St Johnston have now been in Europe for the past four seasons in a row and established themselves as a top six club and won the Scottish Cup at first time of asking .Inverness have in the last few years found the consistency to be a top six team and maybe last season will prove to be the pinnacle of their achievement in winning Scpttish Cup At first time of asking ,and qualifying for Europe .Ross County have confounded everyone by thier stick ability and Resilience ,to fight thier way out of relegation trouble every year .
So while we have been floundering ,others have flourished and St Johnston in particular seem to have made succession management into an art form .

So minnows and small town teams they may be ,but credit where credit is due We are now in the process under Leeann of laying new foundations to get us back up to that level ,and the green shoots of recovery are well underway ,but the price of another year in the Championship is reflected in Season Ticket Sales to date .
I am not going to start contemplating what position we could be in next season if we didn't get promotion as Stubbs now knows what it takes to be consistent and he has had a years management experience under his belt .
Yep we are the Hibs ,but speak to fans of other clubs and you will find they don't have the same respect for our club and they don't fear us and I do blame Petrie for that .So I think we have a lot of hard work still in front of us ,before we get back to the position we all want our Club to be in ie established top six team ,winning trophies and back in Europe .
Having said all that I think we are assembling a squad ,that once the season starts ,will start attracting more walk up fans back to the fold ,and if we can get the sort of start Hearts managed last Season , I see no reason why we can't emulate what they did if we avoid injuries ,and add a few more quality players ,and bolster squad with some tried and tested players from the championship like Watson from raith for eg
Moan The Hibs :gwa::flag:

Is this The price of trying to do the right thing in investing in an extensive youth setup ? And why aren't others obliged to do to some level?

NadeAteMyLunch!
07-07-2015, 08:01 AM
This thread should win a prize for the least amount of content to actually match with the thread title. Any news on McGeogh?

ManBearPig
07-07-2015, 08:10 AM
Heard he's off to Dundee United if that helps any?!

Winston Ingram
07-07-2015, 08:22 AM
Heard he's off to Dundee United if that helps any?!

@AgentScotland on Twitter is saying that he might be part of the Ciftci :rolleyes:

Jim44
07-07-2015, 09:20 AM
@AgentScotland on Twitter is saying that he might be part of the Ciftci :rolleyes:

Celtic and D.Utd. have agreed a price for Ciftci. No details and no mention of McGeoch as part of a potential deal.

NadeAteMyLunch!
07-07-2015, 11:20 AM
Hopefully not. That has been my concern tbh. Big oversight from DUFC if they could have picked him up on the cheap as part of the deal and haven't

Springbank
07-07-2015, 11:31 AM
Hopefully not. That has been my concern tbh. Big oversight from DUFC if they could have picked him up on the cheap as part of the deal and haven't

The fact their board statement didn't mention Dylan would suggest he's not going there - utd need any positive they can get and if dylan was part of the deal he'd have been mentioned.

Their support could dwindle and turn here, bottom six for a few seasons?

Billy Whizz
07-07-2015, 11:31 AM

Maybe he doesn't want to go there, and would like to comeback to Hibs!

Springbank
07-07-2015, 11:32 AM
Would be a massive yes from me
Great player

Jim44
07-07-2015, 12:18 PM
Out of interest, does MacNamara get a slice of the transfer fee as he did from previous sales?

Geo_1875
07-07-2015, 12:26 PM

I'd expect United to part with Cifci and about £250k to get McGeogh.

Ozyhibby
07-07-2015, 12:29 PM
Out of interest, does MacNamara get a slice of the transfer fee as he did from previous sales?

I believe so. He gets a cut of all transfer fees.

Ozyhibby
07-07-2015, 12:30 PM
I'd expect United to part with Cifci and about £250k to get McGeogh.

Is there any evidence that Utd are even interested in Mcgeogh?
He's not worth that based on what he has achieved so far.

Nutmegged
07-07-2015, 12:37 PM
Is there any evidence that Utd are even interested in Mcgeogh?
He's not worth that based on what he has achieved so far.

I'm sure it was tongue in check mate

calumhibee1
07-07-2015, 01:43 PM
I believe so. He gets a cut of all transfer fees.

That is a ridiculous set up. :agree:

Ozyhibby
07-07-2015, 01:47 PM

Sensible from the boards point of view though. Means when they go to the manager and say we are selling our star striker, he's delighted and happy to say to the fans we don't need him anyway.

Eyrie
07-07-2015, 08:07 PM

It's only fair when you consider how long McNamara has been at Tannadice and how much work he has put in to developing those players since he personally brought them to the club as kids.

Ozyhibby
07-07-2015, 08:29 PM
It's only fair when you consider how long McNamara has been at Tannadice and how much work he has put in to developing those players since he personally brought them to the club as kids.

He's only been there 2 years?

Billy Whizz
07-07-2015, 08:31 PM
He's only been there 2 years?

Did he sign Ciftci

J-C
07-07-2015, 08:37 PM

Think you forgot the smiley

Eyrie
07-07-2015, 09:52 PM
Think you forgot the smiley
I didn't think it was necessary. Looks like I was wrong.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
07-07-2015, 10:20 PM
Did he sign Ciftci

Yep.

jacomo
07-07-2015, 10:24 PM

Always more fun if you don't. Quality whoosh.

jacomo
07-07-2015, 11:04 PM
Sensible from the boards point of view though. Means when they go to the manager and say we are selling our star striker, he's delighted and happy to say to the fans we don't need him anyway.

I've heard it's working a treat. All happy clappers up at Tannadice these days.

J-C
07-07-2015, 11:46 PM

Christ even I knew you were at the wind up :greengrin

Eyrie
08-07-2015, 05:08 PM
Christ even I knew you were at the wind up :greengrin

Badly worded on my part - I meant that I was agreeing with you, not implying you'd been whooshed.