PDA

View Full Version : Stanton handling away?

Bay Area Hibees
28-06-2015, 01:45 AM
Bbc reporting both released. Quite surprised to be honest but trust AS and assume better players on way in...if accurate that is.

Hibeesmad
28-06-2015, 02:01 AM
Link?

Forza Fred
28-06-2015, 02:03 AM
Bbc reporting both released. Quite surprised to be honest but trust AS and assume better players on way in...if accurate that is.

Where did they report this?

Can't find any written confirmation as yet.

HoboHarry
28-06-2015, 04:29 AM
This is the only link I can find and it does not say they are released - it pretty much says the same thing that AS did in his interview. Perhaps the OP can show me I am wrong, I'm sure he wouldn't want me to accuse him of making things up.....

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/33297958

HibeesLA
28-06-2015, 04:32 AM
This is the only link I can find and it does not say they are released - it pretty much says the same thing that AS did in his interview. Perhaps the OP can show me I am wrong, I'm sure he wouldn't want me to accuse him of making things up.....

I'm seeing it on this link in the mobile site http://m.bbc.com/sport/football/scottish/gossip

Hibernian have told midfielder Sam Stanton, who has been linked with Dundee, and striker Danny Handling that they are free to look for new clubs. (Daily Express, print edition)

Apologies if the link doesn't work right.

HoboHarry
28-06-2015, 04:36 AM
I'm seeing it on this link in the mobile site http://m.bbc.com/sport/football/scottish/gossip

Hibernian have told midfielder Sam Stanton, who has been linked with Dundee, and striker Danny Handling that they are free to look for new clubs. (Daily Express, print edition)

Apologies if the link doesn't work right.
That isn't what AS said in his interview. He said that they were welcome to stay and fight for their places but they were not assured of a starting spot. If they didn't want that they could look for another club - that is not the same as being released.....

Forza Fred
28-06-2015, 04:46 AM

Yep.

As they tend to say on another site......Non Story...:wink:

nellio
28-06-2015, 06:53 AM
Aye , so that's taken from the GOSSIP section of the BBC website. Neither have been released (both under contract anyway so can't release them unless it's a mutual agreement) and it's a bad rehash of what Stubbsy said in his Hibs TV interview.

Nothing new at all.

jacomo
28-06-2015, 07:16 AM
That isn't what AS said in his interview. He said that they were welcome to stay and fight for their places but they were not assured of a starting spot. If they didn't want that they could look for another club - that is not the same as being released.....

Don't think many people would have these two as certain starters anyhow.

AS said last season that Cummings would be used mostly as a sub, but he ended up starting a lot of them.

I think the door is still open to them at Hibs, but they have to work hard to make it happen.

Beefster
28-06-2015, 07:40 AM

How did you manage to take "free to look for other clubs" as "have been released"?

number9dream
28-06-2015, 08:53 AM
Aye , so that's taken from the GOSSIP section of the BBC website. Neither have been released (both under contract anyway so can't release them unless it's a mutual agreement) and it's a bad rehash of what Stubbsy said in his Hibs TV interview.

Nothing new at all.

Exactly. The Beeb are not reporting anything relating to Stanton or Handling, simply pointing to the Daily Express story, which is their spin on the Stubbs interview.

J-C
28-06-2015, 09:08 AM
If both go they'll not be totally free to go, I'd have thought a nominal fee would be wanted as we've developed them, unless Hibs are happy to let them go for nothing, it's not like us to do that though.

Ozyhibby
28-06-2015, 09:31 AM
If both go they'll not be totally free to go, I'd have thought a nominal fee would be wanted as we've developed them, unless Hibs are happy to let them go for nothing, it's not like us to do that though.

We would have been happy to let Calum Booth go for nothing at any point in his last 3 years here.
I doubt we will be looking for a fee, just be trying to free up a wage so we can bring in a player we are more likely to use.

J-C
28-06-2015, 09:42 AM
We would have been happy to let Calum Booth go for nothing at any point in his last 3 years here.
I doubt we will be looking for a fee, just be trying to free up a wage so we can bring in a player we are more likely to use.

TBH I don't like letting talented youngsters go, especially for free but they've just not developed in the way we wanted, apart from a few fleeting glimpses here and there and as I've pointed out in numerous threads, they're only a year or so younger than Allan and Fyvie but are miles behind them on the pitch. They'll not be on huge wages maybe £500-600pw but added together that's £1k we could offer for a player who is capable of stepping into the team, we also have the young lads moving up from the development team to fill their boots on the bench.

Scouse Hibee
28-06-2015, 02:28 PM
Maybe a move away would benefit their careers, tbh neither has progressed as I thought they would and time is flying by.

Eyrie
28-06-2015, 03:35 PM
At some point a decision has to be made on whether our youngsters can contribute as part of the first team or not.

For all the excuses offered in their defence, neither Handling nor Stanton stood out when given the opportunity in second tier football last season and that makes their position in the squad very vulnerable as there are more youngsters (Martin, Duthie) coming through who need the opportunity to show if they can make the step up rather than having their way blocked by the previous intake.

28-06-2015, 04:25 PM
Never really been a Handling fan I must admit. Still a young laddie who is still learning but for me i've just never been impressed with him. He has had his moments here and there but unfortunately they are very few and far between. I don't mean to bash the guy and for as long as he is at hibs, as with any hibs player, he will have my full support but I just feel he's a bit to lightweight and offers us very little.

erin go bragh
28-06-2015, 04:33 PM
Was it Stubbs that gave Handling his 4 year deal ?
If yes , it's a strange one if he's free to go .

GGTTH

Bay Area Hibees
28-06-2015, 06:55 PM
Beefster, to answer your question...if it's true that are free to find another club then this means we would release them from contract.

As others have indicated this may be kick up bum maneuver by AS.

ancient hibee
28-06-2015, 06:58 PM
Beefster, to answer your question...if it's true that are free to find another club then this means we would release them from contract.

It's not true.

Dashing Bob S
28-06-2015, 07:04 PM
Stanton I'd be inclined to give more time. Although he's failed to breakthrough in the way hoped, his potential is good and I still think he could become a class act. Handling I don't rate so highly, and I'd be inclined to get rid off.

NORTHERNHIBBY
28-06-2015, 07:17 PM
Stay and fight for a place or go and play your football somewhere else. Either scenario suits the club. Don't think that there's much wrong with that. No misunderstanding.

Beefster
28-06-2015, 08:03 PM

Possibly but you said that they had been released, no?

DH1875
28-06-2015, 08:39 PM
It's not true.

What isn't? And where does this leave Harris?

Andy74
28-06-2015, 08:51 PM
It's not true.

What isn't? Stubbs said on the video they wouldn't be guaranteed a game and could leave if they wanted.

J-C
28-06-2015, 08:57 PM
It's not true.

So was Stubbs lying when he said he couldn't guarantee them 1st team football and their agents have been advised that if they want that, Hibs won't stand in their way, that sounds awful like on you go if you want, we'll not stop you.

Bay Area Hibees
28-06-2015, 10:22 PM
I'm defining released as "free to go for no fee" rather than "left the club and we will keep paying you" which would not be a smart move.

Big L
28-06-2015, 10:48 PM
I'd like to see them both stay, I would love to see Handling given a shot at theholding role Robertson played. As for Stanton, what a waste!! Every manager he has played under said he was an exeptional talent, I actually believed that Stubbs might bring him on due to his massive experience wi Everton kids, very dissappointing!!

snooky
28-06-2015, 10:53 PM
So was Stubbs lying when he said he couldn't guarantee them 1st team football and their agents have been advised that if they want that, Hibs won't stand in their way, that sounds awful like on you go if you want, we'll not stop you.

Technically that statement would & should apply to every player in the squad.
If you're not doing the business, you're out the team - therefore no guarantee of 1st team place.

Winston Ingram
29-06-2015, 06:11 AM
I think the title of this thread needs changed. We can't release them as they are in contract. They have been told they can find a loan club which has been common knowledge for weeks.

Brooster
29-06-2015, 06:15 AM
I think the title of this thread needs changed. We can't release them as they are in contract. They have been told they can find a loan club which has been common knowledge for weeks.

I dont agree. My understanding is that they have been told to find a permanent club. Players dont generally find loans.

Scouse Hibee
29-06-2015, 07:10 AM
I dont agree. My understanding is that they have been told to find a permanent club. Players dont generally find loans.

They don't find permanent clubs either their agents do, the same as they find them loan clubs. And all three if you include Harris were told just that.

staunchhibby
29-06-2015, 07:27 AM
Hibs do not want to pay up to release them from there contracts

Brooster
29-06-2015, 07:47 AM
They don't find permanent clubs either their agents do, the same as they find them loan clubs. And all three if you include Harris were told just that.

I think you will find that Hibs find loan clubs for players they want see develop.

eastmainsmsh
29-06-2015, 08:07 AM
Handling is a talent as is Stanton but they have to fulfill their undoubted potential loans would be ideal for both

Scouse Hibee
29-06-2015, 08:10 AM
I think you will find that Hibs find loan clubs for players they want see develop.

I think you'll also find that agents find loan clubs too.

DH1875
29-06-2015, 08:11 AM

Was/has Harris been told that though?

andrew70
29-06-2015, 08:21 AM

I really don't think they do as a matter of course.

They may do so on the instruction of the parent club but agents won't necessarily go chasing a loan club for a player.

The agents could place them anywhere whereas the clubs will give them a number of clubs to approach with regards to a possible move so that their development and needs are met by the borrowing club.

Brightside
29-06-2015, 08:24 AM

They haven't been told to find new clubs...where are you getting this from? Both players have been told to fight for their place...if they don't want to do that they are free to leave. Same goes for every single squad player.

Brooster
29-06-2015, 08:36 AM
They haven't been told to find new clubs...where are you getting this from? Both players have been told to fight for their place...if they don't want to do that they are free to leave. Same goes for every single squad player.

Thats basically what Im saying. In a nutshell....improve or leave are the options on the table.

Brightside
29-06-2015, 08:47 AM
Thats basically what Im saying. In a nutshell....improve or leave are the options on the table.

Agreed. Big year for all those squad players on the fringes. I do think Stanton will go - he doesn't strike me as the most confident lad. Harris appears to have been forgotten about. Also - his strip wasn't available for sponsorship this season.

happiehibbie
29-06-2015, 08:52 AM
I love it ! I have said time and time again Handling was not good enough but I was shot down. How thgis boy got a 4 year deal last year I will never know but now AS has told him find another club I suggest a Taylor Made R15 :)

Stanton is a player but the pressure put on him by Butcher and Malpas Knocked him back in his progress I think a loan deal would suit him Stubbs has brought in better players ATM and Stanton will improve

Harris and Stanton where bullied by MM and TB I think this has had a huge effect on there progress

Andy74
29-06-2015, 08:53 AM

No that's not the same for every player. Most we would not offer to other clubs to take. These ones have been told specifically the can go if they want.

Brightside
29-06-2015, 09:07 AM
No that's not the same for every player. Most we would not offer to other clubs to take. These ones have been told specifically the can go if they want.

They haven't been offered to other teams to take. You're making that up. Any player can go if they want to.

fishybeaver
29-06-2015, 09:08 AM
[QUOTE=Brooster;4404768]I think you will find that Hibs find loan clubs for players they want see develop.[/QUO

Find it a bit strange harris has been told he could go after Stubbs turned down Dundee in April.

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-won-t-extend-alex-harris-dundee-deal-1-3738066

B.H.F.C
29-06-2015, 09:12 AM
They haven't been offered to other teams to take. You're making that up. Any player can go if they want to.

How exactly can any player go if they want to unless they are out of contract?

Stubbs has said he'd be willing to let these two go. Does the same apply to David Gray? Or Fontaine?

Andy74
29-06-2015, 09:17 AM

Sorry but you are wrong on this. It's not tricky. They can go if they want. Other players can't.

Brightside
29-06-2015, 09:23 AM
Sorry - but you have said they have been offered to other clubs. Can you tell me which clubs. which players, and offered by whom? They have been clearly told that they can leave if they want to but he's happy for them to stay and fight for their place. This has then been turned around by plenty on here to conclude that these players are not good enough and are being dumped. He hasn't said that at any point.

Ozyhibby
29-06-2015, 09:25 AM
Stubbs saying they can stay and fight for their place is just him saying the right things in case they don't move on.
The reality is, they have been told they are not needed at Hibs anymore and have been told they can find new clubs.
If they had been out of contract they would have been released.
Anyone who thinks this is Stubbs playing mind games to spur the boys on is being naive.
I think all three will be gone in this window and any who stay will not feature much at all this season.

J-C
29-06-2015, 09:51 AM
Sorry - but you have said they have been offered to other clubs. Can you tell me which clubs. which players, and offered by whom? They have been clearly told that they can leave if they want to but he's happy for them to stay and fight for their place. This has then been turned around by plenty on here to conclude that these players are not good enough and are being dumped. He hasn't said that at any point.

They've not been offered to clubs, that is true but they've been told they will not feature this year as we have better player either here now or are coming in soon, it would be better for their own future to actively find another club as they will only be getting splinters all season on the bench.

Lago
29-06-2015, 11:24 AM
Ok ok lets call it a draw, both clubs AND agents find loan clubs, jeez oh.

Scouse Hibee
29-06-2015, 11:35 AM
Ok ok lets call it a draw, both clubs AND agents find loan clubs, jeez oh.

Okay great thanks for your input. ;-)

Lago
29-06-2015, 12:28 PM
Okay great thanks for your input. ;-)
Happy to help.:greengrin

ancient hibee
29-06-2015, 06:01 PM

Who said anything about Stubbs lying?The position is perfectly clear.Fringe players are not guaranteed a place(neither is anyone else)-they can stay and fight for a place -if not they can go-either way the club benefits-if they up their game it's good-if they don't they're wasting their own careers.

J-C
29-06-2015, 08:38 PM
Who said anything about Stubbs lying?The position is perfectly clear.Fringe players are not guaranteed a place(neither is anyone else)-they can stay and fight for a place -if not they can go-either way the club benefits-if they up their game it's good-if they don't they're wasting their own careers.

When someone posted saying they were free to find another club if they wished, you said that was untrue...............is that not the same as telling them they can go or stay and fight for a place, to me and many others it means they've been told they're surplus to requirements unless they start pre season on fire.

blackpoolhibs
29-06-2015, 09:30 PM
The agents of these 3 players have been told to get them a new club, none of the other players agents will have had that call.

Lago
29-06-2015, 09:34 PM
The agents of these 3 players have been told to get them a new club, none of the other players agents will have had that call.
And you know that how?

Andy74
29-06-2015, 09:45 PM
And you know that how?

This is getting daft. It's not some conceptual argument about every player fighting for a place and everyone available if they don't want to stay. Stubbs has said they can leave. It's quite simple.

blackpoolhibs
29-06-2015, 09:45 PM
And you know that how?

Its quite easy, with what Stubbs has said, their agents would not be doing their jobs if they had not spoken to the club on this matter.

And you are being a little naive if you cant read football manager speak. Telling players who are under contract they are not going to get much football is what managers say to players they want out the door.

Their agents will be actively looking for other clubs as we speak.

Ozyhibby
29-06-2015, 10:29 PM
Its quite easy, with what Stubbs has said, their agents would not be doing their jobs if they had not spoken to the club on this matter.

And you are being a little naive if you cant read football manager speak. Telling players who are under contract they are not going to get much football is what managers say to players they want out the door.

100% correct

I'm struggling to understand why people are trying to interpret it in any other way. Maybe it is just affection for the players because they came through our youth set up?
One thing is for sure, they are not in the managers plans for this season at all.

Lago
30-06-2015, 06:45 AM

Thanks for translating football manger speak for me.

blackpoolhibs
30-06-2015, 06:47 AM
Thanks for translating football manger speak for me.

No problem, glad i could be helpful. :wink:

Brightside
30-06-2015, 07:30 AM
All 3 have offers from other clubs. Stanton from the Prem, Harris from this league, Handling from League 1 down south.

No idea if they will go, but personally I think Handling has the right attitude to stay and fight.

JIm
30-06-2015, 12:29 PM
All 3 have offers from other clubs. Stanton from the Prem, Harris from this league, Handling from League 1 down south.

No idea if they will go, but personally I think Handling has the right attitude to stay and fight.

I believe it to be Motherwell in for Harris although he would prefer move down south/abroad.

J-C
30-06-2015, 12:36 PM
I believe it to be Motherwell in for Harris although he would prefer move down south/abroad.

Harris's problem is he was never really a real footballer, went to a posh school and was a decent rugby player and due to his all round sporting prowess managed to do reasonably well at football. TBH I had never heard of the lad when he was playing U20's, nothing about him on here until he was plucked from there by Fenlon and had an amazing 2nd half of that season, a broken ankle later and he's disappeared back into obscurity and averageness.

JIm
30-06-2015, 12:41 PM
Harris's problem is he was never really a real footballer, went to a posh school and was a decent rugby player and due to his all round sporting prowess managed to do reasonably well at football. TBH I had never heard of the lad when he was playing U20's, nothing about him on here until he was plucked from there by Fenlon and had an amazing 2nd half of that season, a broken ankle later and he's disappeared back into obscurity and averageness.

He went to a posh school? Who gives a flying ****, what a stupid comment to make.

Harris will do just fine and a change of scenery will do him good.

As for his time in the 20's he was prolific, perhaps you had already made your decision due to the fact he was at a 'posh school'.

CapitalGreen
30-06-2015, 12:42 PM

He was discussed a lot on here while he was playing at Under 17 and Under 20. There were people calling for him to be brought into the First team much earlier than he was.

ancient hibee
30-06-2015, 12:45 PM
When someone posted saying they were free to find another club if they wished, you said that was untrue...............is that not the same as telling them they can go or stay and fight for a place, to me and many others it means they've been told they're surplus to requirements unless they start pre season on fire.

No -there was a claim that BBC had said they were released-it's not true.What you seem to be saying is that they have been told they are surplus to requirements unless they are playing well.Is there any player not in that category?

ancient hibee
30-06-2015, 12:47 PM

Alan Gordon went to the same posh school-didn't seem to hold him back.Willie Woodburn went there as well.

Brooster
30-06-2015, 12:49 PM

I dont know where to begin with that comment. The less said about the posh school comment the better. I watched Harris regularly at u19 and u20 and he stuck out a mile. And he was electric when he broke in to the first team. Sadly that deliberate foul from that crank at Motherwell has knocked him back a considerable distance.

monarch
30-06-2015, 12:50 PM

Aye you can't be a real footballer unless you've been brought up on a sink estate and skipped school regularly while kicking a can around a piece of waste ground with clogs on your feet.
What a load of blocks.

Can 't remember George Heriots doing Alan Gordon much harm.

JimBHibees
30-06-2015, 12:50 PM

Thats a ahocker.

Paloschi
30-06-2015, 12:55 PM
Regarding Alex Harris, I think he should definitely be kept on. The boy has massive potential. He had a very serious injury then struggled under Butcher, as did Robertson, Craig and other prominent squad members.

This video was only posted 2 years ago, yeah he has struggled since then but I think Stubbs would be crazy to let him go. He deserves a chance and we are short as it is in midfield.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoPds4gItpU

Ozyhibby
30-06-2015, 12:56 PM
Frank Lampard went to a posh school and speaks Latin. Doesn't seem to have held him back much.

The Hibee Harp
30-06-2015, 01:02 PM
Regarding Alex Harris, I think he should definitely be kept on. The boy has massive potential. He had a very serious injury then struggled under Butcher, as did Robertson, Craig and other prominent squad members.

This video was only posted 2 years ago, yeah he has struggled since then but I think Stubbs would be crazy to let him go. He deserves a chance and we are short as it is in midfield.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoPds4gItpU

The problem being Butcher left a year ago and it is now a year and half since Boozy returned from the injury. That's a big chunk of his playing career lost. He has had a lot of chances since that injury and never taken any of them.

My personal opinion is that the injury has done more damage than we thought and he won't now reach the standard we believed he could.

lochhibs
30-06-2015, 01:02 PM
Personally it wouldn't break my heart if handling left. I'd like Stanton and Harris to stay though "

Andy74
30-06-2015, 01:12 PM
No -there was a claim that BBC had said they were released-it's not true.What you seem to be saying is that they have been told they are surplus to requirements unless they are playing well.Is there any player not in that category?

It's been stated a few times already but in a Hibs TV interview Stubbs said they had been told they can leave if they can find clubs. No, that doesn't apply to every player.

ancient hibee
30-06-2015, 01:15 PM
It's been stated a few times already but in a Hibs TV interview Stubbs said they had been told they can leave if they can find clubs. No, that doesn't apply to every player.

So players that are not playing well enough to get a game are not considered surplus to requirements?

Andy74
30-06-2015, 01:17 PM
Aye you can't be a real footballer unless you've been brought up on a sink estate and skipped school regularly while kicking a can around a piece of waste ground with clogs on your feet.
What a load of blocks.

Can 't remember George Heriots doing Alan Gordon much harm.

Is JC not just suggesting that at his school he will have been involved in a range of sports and not specifically brought up and trained as a footballer?

He was predominantly a rugby player at school which is a wee bit puzzling as it's the getting into challenges aspect that he doesn't seem that comfortable with.

Andy74
30-06-2015, 01:17 PM
So players that are not playing well enough to get a game are not considered surplus to requirements?

I give in. Watch the interview.

J-C
30-06-2015, 01:19 PM
Thats a ahocker.

Explain shocker, the lad was a well known all rounder at school, excelled in almost all the sports he competed in, there isn't many footballers come from the public school sector, there have been some but not many. There were quite a few on here who questioned Harris's heart and his desire for the game, maybe his upbringing has something to do with this, from what I've seen of him since his injury is, he has little desire to take that next step forward in his career. As has been said, it's now been a while since the break and the Butcher debacle, is the lad ever going to improve or has he got as good as he's going to get. We've had many a player come through the ranks who looked the business when young and never progressed as they should have, Harris I feel is another of these.

Smartie
30-06-2015, 01:24 PM

The "posh school" stuff in there is the kind of crap you would expect from a football visionary like Terry Butcher.

Generally you'll find that any professional sportsperson has an aptitude for many different sports, many skills are transferable. If you have to make a choice between which sport to specialise in it is better for you to make a choice as late as possible because the skills you pick up playing all of the sports help in the other ones.

We really need to get away from pigeonholing people too early. If you're big and strong at 8 years old then you're a centre-half at football for life, freeing players because they're too wee, writing off players as not being footballers because they once played rugby. Absolute nonsense.

Harris has probably frustrated me more than any other player we've had over the past couple of years. He hasn't cut it in a Hibs shirt for a long time and it gets harder over time to realise whether he just doesn't have it, whether he doesn't want it or because the injury knocked it out of him.

Maybe he's just about to find it again though?

I don't think your statement above is any way fair to Harris.

PatHead
30-06-2015, 01:29 PM
Unless we are going to get a massive jump in season ticket sales maybe we have reached the end of our budget and need to move a few on to free up wages if they are not breaking through.

We will have Craig and Robertson's budget but Fyvie, Keetings, Oxley and Boyle will be eating into that.

J-C
30-06-2015, 01:30 PM
He went to a posh school? Who gives a flying ****, what a stupid comment to make.

Harris will do just fine and a change of scenery will do him good.

As for his time in the 20's he was prolific, perhaps you had already made your decision due to the fact he was at a 'posh school'.

I went to a posh school, played rugby for them and was brought up in Leith playing footie in the links with my mates and latterly for Edina Hibs.

The posh school comment was made because football is generally never played there, he went to Edinburgh Academy, one of the poshest in Edinburgh, I'm challenging the lads Heart for the game and does he really want to be a footballer. There are times when I watch him and he looks so quick and almost unbeatable, than other times he looks like a sheep lost in a field full of wolves. Does he have the guts and determination to be a top pro, I have my doubts but would loved to be proven wrong, just like with Handling and Stanton who have also been very disappointing.

J-C
30-06-2015, 01:33 PM
Is JC not just suggesting that at his school he will have been involved in a range of sports and not specifically brought up and trained as a footballer?

He was predominantly a rugby player at school which is a wee bit puzzling as it's the getting into challenges aspect that he doesn't seem that comfortable with.

I am suggesting just that.

Although he is a very good footballer, sometimes your background and upbringing also dictates what kind of mentality you will have.

blackpoolhibs
30-06-2015, 01:41 PM

Although he is a very good footballer, sometimes your background and upbringing also dictates what kind of mentality you will have.

I'd have thought you need to have real balls to play rugby, you get hit a lot harder in that than you do in football.

Brightside
30-06-2015, 01:46 PM

ONLY if they don't want to fight for their place. So they have been told "they can leave if they want to" NOT "they can leave if they can find clubs"

JIm
30-06-2015, 02:00 PM
I went to a posh school, played rugby for them and was brought up in Leith playing footie in the links with my mates and latterly for Edina Hibs.

The posh school comment was made because football is generally never played there, he went to Edinburgh Academy, one of the poshest in Edinburgh, I'm challenging the lads Heart for the game and does he really want to be a footballer. There are times when I watch him and he looks so quick and almost unbeatable, than other times he looks like a sheep lost in a field full of wolves. Does he have the guts and determination to be a top pro, I have my doubts but would loved to be proven wrong, just like with Handling and Stanton who have also been very disappointing.

I agree it is generally played more within public schools but school football within private schools is way bigger now than when you were a youngster. Its extremely popular and Hibs system is proof of that with various over past few years coming out of Private schools.

Regarding heart there is no doubt many have questioned it on here, however without trying to make excuses you just need to look at all the factors involved, poor management (extremely poor at times), serious injury, age and experience as well as his old man passing away a couple of years ago. There is no doubt in my mind that is a lot to deal with over an extremely short period of time as well as the pressures of being in the public eye. That's alot for anyone to adjust too/get over.

His form at Dundee latterly however was encouraging, Hartley wanted to keep him although for some reason Stubss re-buffed.

I think some of the younger guys need a bit more time to prove themselves personally, its too cut throat and kids like Harris should have been managed better. He no doubt has ability and pace that really does terrify defenders. People look at the short term too much (but then i suppose that is the business of full time professional football) and for me he particularly this year could have a massive impact if given the chance, support and managed correctly.

I do however think that he is now at the stage where the best thing for him might be a move and a change of scenery, by all accounts he is of the same mindset. I just hope now that its a move down south/abroad where he can really broaden his horizons and develop withouth the pressure of being a local lad coming through the system. I also believe a move from Edinburgh would do him wonders.

Also an interesting stat - one of only a few i would imagine to have scored at both Hampden and Murrayfield in competive competitions!

B.H.F.C
30-06-2015, 02:01 PM
ONLY if they don't want to fight for their place. So they have been told "they can leave if they want to" NOT "they can leave if they can find clubs"

So whatever way you look at it, the club are happy to let them go aye?

JimBHibees
30-06-2015, 02:08 PM
Explain shocker, the lad was a well known all rounder at school, excelled in almost all the sports he competed in, there isn't many footballers come from the public school sector, there have been some but not many. There were quite a few on here who questioned Harris's heart and his desire for the game, maybe his upbringing has something to do with this, from what I've seen of him since his injury is, he has little desire to take that next step forward in his career. As has been said, it's now been a while since the break and the Butcher debacle, is the lad ever going to improve or has he got as good as he's going to get. We've had many a player come through the ranks who looked the business when young and never progressed as they should have, Harris I feel is another of these.

You were trying to outline that his background had meant he was mentally fragile in some way. Personally think he has it all to do to develop a successful career in the game. His confidence seemed to take a dent after his leg break and allied to Butcher probably meant he wasnt getting the encouragement he may have needed. He is still a young kid however we do need to realise he probably only had a 2 month spell where he was really good running up to the Cup final in 13. his loan to Dundee seemed to have started well then tailed off for some reason. From what I can see Boyle is a better bet to be a first team player than Alex. Hope he does kick on however last season he wasnt great and has it all to do.

superfurryhibby
30-06-2015, 02:17 PM

No one plays football at school, not if they aspire to be a professional footballer. That stopped several decades ago, maybe more.

Not sure that which school Harris attended has any bearing on anything to do with his courage or desire to succeed. If we are dealing with stereotypes and cliches then it might be fair to say that Edinburgh's fee paying attendees are generally more confident and full of self-belief. Ideal qualities.

Best just stick to what you see and quite rightly that would lead you to question Harris's commitment and talent. As you say, Stanton and Handling have the same issues and no one gives a **** about which school they went to.

As for the wider issue. The message is that they are free to leave. If they were valued by Stubbs then that would not apply. The rationale is obvious and I agree that. The trio concerned have all failed to make an impact. I would be surprised if they go on to better things, good luck to them and thanks for the effort.

scoopyboy
30-06-2015, 02:29 PM

For years this was put forward as the reason why British tennis was in the doldrums for years.

Too many Buster Mottrams and Andrew Castles.

BSEJVT
30-06-2015, 03:41 PM
Its a difficult one, but Hibs have got it right far far more often than they have got it wrong over the years and whilst one of these three might be the exception to the rule you can only wait for potential to be realised for so long.

FWIW I think they all have attributes but should all have delivered on them by now.

My biggest regret of the 3 is Harris

Its so long (Ivan first time around) since we had a real winger that I had very high hopes for Alex

I sincerely hope that he goes on to resurrect his career elsewhere

I do wonder though if he will forever be seen as mercurial talent either devastatingly good or bad, often in the same game.

J-C
30-06-2015, 04:07 PM

It's not true.

You seem very confused, 1st quote states what Stubbs said himself in his interview, they are not in his plans, if they want to stay fair enough but the club will not stand in their way if another club wants them.

You said it's NOT true.

Then you claim to have seen it on the BBC website, which has nothing to do with what we were talking about which was Stubbs's interview.

The players are deemed surplus to requirements having not stepped up last season when needed, they are at an age when they should really be vying for a regular start and giving the manager headaches in his team selection but they are not.

AlbertK86
01-07-2015, 07:39 AM
Looks like there is some interest in Handling and Stanton to go on LOAN

No mention of Harris

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/hibs-boss-alan-stubbs-says-5979437

Ronniekirk
01-07-2015, 08:09 AM
Looks like there is some interest in Handling and Stanton to go on LOAN

No mention of Harris

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/hibs-boss-alan-stubbs-says-5979437

There seems to be a media embargo on Harris ,so we will find out soon enough if he travels with squad on pre season and gets his opportunity or whether Carmichael and Boyle have sealed his fate .
having tasted first team football at higher level you would think he would not be happy just being a squad player now

Billy Whizz
01-07-2015, 08:36 AM
There seems to be a media embargo on Harris ,so we will find out soon enough if he travels with squad on pre season and gets his opportunity or whether Carmichael and Boyle have sealed his fate .
having tasted first team football at higher level you would think he would not be happy just being a squad player now

Ronnie, maybe not interested in loaning Harris until Martin Boyle is fit, might leave us a bit short in the wide areas

AlbertK86
01-07-2015, 08:42 AM
Ronnie, maybe not interested in loaning Harris until Martin Boyle is fit, might leave us a bit short in the wide areas

Very good point

Smartie
01-07-2015, 08:50 AM

Maybe that is exactly the kind of challenge that Harris is needing?

He plays well enough then he gets to stay and continue to fight for his place. And for that he will need to start running at men again…..

If he doesn't then he goes on loan with no guarantees that he will have any future upon his return.

There is a player in there but he really frustrates me.

J-C
01-07-2015, 10:12 AM

If Harris can get anywhere near the player he was when he burst onto the scene, then he could be an important player for us as pace and trickery are invaluable. Having time away from the club and the pressures will hopefully have helped, now lest see what Stubbs and co. can do to get him going again.

judas
01-07-2015, 05:55 PM

I take that as further proof that Stubbs knows a player.

Good move for Hibs I feel.

Ronniekirk
01-07-2015, 06:24 PM
Right enough ,makes sense Billy

staunchhibby
01-07-2015, 07:48 PM
Sam is still at easter road fact.

bigwheel
01-07-2015, 07:54 PM
Sam is still at easter road fact.

have to say I rate sammy - would be disappointing to see him go....

Forza Fred
01-07-2015, 08:08 PM
If Harris can get anywhere near the player he was when he burst onto the scene, then he could be an important player for us as pace and trickery are invaluable. Having time away from the club and the pressures will hopefully have helped, now lest see what Stubbs and co. can do to get him going again.

I acknowledge his undisputed pace, but not the alleged trickery bit.

Whenever I have seen him his repertoire was limited to simply knocking the ball past his defender and using his pace to get past him.

Even the Yams worked out that all you need is a second defender a few feet behind the first one to cancel that out.

Leithenhibby
01-07-2015, 08:09 PM

:agree:

Lago
01-07-2015, 08:16 PM
I acknowledge his undisputed pace, but not the alleged trickery bit.

Whenever I have seen him his repertoire was limited to simply knocking the ball past his defender and using his pace to get past him.

Even the Yams worked out that all you need is a second defender a few feet behind the first one to cancel that out.
Arthur Duncan played the same way with some success.

MrRobot
02-07-2015, 12:25 PM
I hope we do keep Harris and Stanton.

bookert
02-07-2015, 10:01 PM
Agree with this, in the games I saw him involved in last season, thought he used the ball well. The