PDA

View Full Version : Salary cap

Ozyhibby
27-06-2015, 01:28 PM
http://m.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/13357378.Scottish_football_urged_to_bring_in_spend ing_controls___and_stop_more_clubs_suffering_finan cial_meltdown/?ref=twtrec

Good article from ex-hun

Keith_M
27-06-2015, 01:36 PM
"Average attendances in the Premiership have fallen dramatically from 13,861 during the 2011/12 campaign to just 8,865 last season."

I hate this nonsense. This keps getting repeated ad-nauseum but is actually misleading.

It's obvious that the average attendance will be massivley reduced when you replace a Club like Rangers with Dundee, but that does not mean the individual clubs are fairing as badly attendance wise.

greenginger
27-06-2015, 02:35 PM
A salary cap that would be appropriate for Partick Th. and Kilmarnock won't suit Celtic.

Anyway, all the SPFL Club Accounts scrutiny is meant to have solved the crazy spending problems.

Ozyhibby
27-06-2015, 02:42 PM
A salary cap that would be appropriate for Partick Th. and Kilmarnock won't suit Celtic.

Anyway, all the SPFL Club Accounts scrutiny is meant to have solved the crazy spending problems.

It's not working for new Rangers? They are spending way more than they can afford.
Salary cap in Australian sport works brilliantly. They have competitive league every year with different clubs winning.
The focus is on promoting the whole league and not just on the biggest clubs.
A salary cap of about £5m per club per season would make The spfl a competitive League and would only the standard of player of 1 club.

Michael
27-06-2015, 02:56 PM
Although I would like a wage cap, it's not a solution to this problem. Say it was set at £5m...Rangers and Celtic would always be secure financially...but it would have no effect on the smaller clubs. Smaller clubs could spend less than £5m and still get into trouble.

jacomo
27-06-2015, 03:31 PM
"Average attendances in the Premiership have fallen dramatically from 13,861 during the 2011/12 campaign to just 8,865 last season."

I hate this nonsense. This keps getting repeated ad-nauseum but is actually misleading.

It's obvious that the average attendance will be massivley reduced when you replace a Club like Rangers with Dundee, but that does not mean the individual clubs are fairing as badly attendance wise.

:agree:

'Armageddon' was 2012. Since then, Scottish clubs have cut costs and dramatically reduced debts. In fact, most in the top flight are now in a better position than when Rangers were there.

As others have said, it would be hard to set a salary cap that worked for all clubs in the top flight, but a more equal distribution of broadcast income and prize money would be a good start. Better collective marketing of Scottish football would help too.

GreenOnions
27-06-2015, 03:38 PM
Although I would like a wage cap, it's not a solution to this problem. Say it was set at £5m...Rangers and Celtic would always be secure financially...but it would have no effect on the smaller clubs. Smaller clubs could spend less than £5m and still get into trouble.

It would need to be set as a % of turnover I think because if it was a set figure then either, as you say, it would have no impact on the smaller clubs or it would restrict the bigger clubs' ability to compete in Europe.

Setting it as a % of turnover (say 60%) with points penalties if the cap is exceeded would be more appropriate as it is less random and actually relates to creating genuine long term sustainability. It doesn't prevent clubs growing either.

Moulin Yarns
27-06-2015, 03:46 PM
Was there not a financial analysis of Scottish football that recommended a wages to turnover of 40%

PeterboroHibee
27-06-2015, 03:53 PM
I dont think this is a solution to any of the current issues in Scottish football. Most clubs seem to have improved their financial situations over the last couple of years, and dont seem to be spending huge wages on wages on players. I also dont see it creating a level playing field in the Premiership as Celtic's (and inevitably Rangers) turnover will be huge compared to everyone else, so theyll still be able to pay more.

HappyHibby93
27-06-2015, 03:54 PM
In terms of capping spending at £5m, that isn't going to work in Scotland as it would only harm the old firm, without any real positive improvement to everyone else, because nobody will spend that much money. I think the only way to do it would for the SPFL to perhaps put a percentage cap on what you wage budget could be in comparison to what you have coming in. 70% for example.

Mikey09
27-06-2015, 04:25 PM
:agree:

'Armageddon' was 2012. Since then, Scottish clubs have cut costs and dramatically reduced debts. In fact, most in the top flight are now in a better position than when Rangers were there.

As others have said, it would be hard to set a salary cap that worked for all clubs in the top flight, but a more equal distribution of broadcast income and prize money would be a good start. Better collective marketing of Scottish football would help too.

Absolutely!! But hey... That might just mean a challenge that Celtic want but don't really want.

Hannah_hfc
27-06-2015, 04:29 PM
Imo a salary cap would need to cover all football across Europe to have any effect. Imagine a salary cap in Scotland and not down south, players would just move down there instead. Scottish football would just get worse than it already is.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Ozyhibby
27-06-2015, 05:13 PM
Imo a salary cap would need to cover all football across Europe to have any effect. Imagine a salary cap in Scotland and not down south, players would just move down there instead. Scottish football would just get worse than it already is.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

That's already happening.

Haymaker
27-06-2015, 05:47 PM
That's already happening.

If you are talking about FFP then that has fallen away already.

A salary cap is all well and good but it would only work if it was like america. Each team puts in a % and it is shared equally so each side has exactly the same amount to spend regardless of income.

Deansy
27-06-2015, 05:48 PM
http://m.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/13357378.Scottish_football_urged_to_bring_in_spend ing_controls___and_stop_more_clubs_suffering_finan cial_meltdown/?ref=twtrec

Good article from ex-hun

Ironic considering the club he played for was the one that started all the 'Big money' problems and continues to (try) do so today !

Michael
27-06-2015, 10:16 PM
Has any league tried this?

Could be be a wage cap for the league system as a whole. This could be calculated as, say, 40% of the combined turnover for all clubs on average, over say, 5 years.

A coefficient based on league performance determines available maximum wage budget. This is a % of the league cap. Could be structured in such a way as to allow clubs know their budgets for the next 2 years (and have a good guess at the 3rd, 4th and 5th years).

It's Saturday night so I can't tell how flawed this idea is right now.

ScottB
27-06-2015, 10:58 PM
An overall wage cap isn't the way forward. If Celtic can get 40,000 plus to turn up, then I have no problem with them spending more than us and our 12,000 or whatever, just as we should be able to spend more than a club pulling in 1,000.

The rule should be simply that you submit your projected costs and projected revenue at the start of the season, if the former far exceeds the later, you get relegated. Isn't that what happens in France? Think that's what relegated Monaco unless I'm just imagining that.

The Leith Dutch
28-06-2015, 03:19 PM
An overall wage cap isn't the way forward. If Celtic can get 40,000 plus to turn up, then I have no problem with them spending more than us and our 12,000 or whatever, just as we should be able to spend more than a club pulling in 1,000.

One of the advantages of a salary cap would be addressing clubs like Celtic offering largeish wages to players from teams like us to sit on the bench.
If they bring in players on high salaries then it limits the amount they can commit to hamstringing other clubs.

You could do much the same with proper squad caps of course.

dangermouse
29-06-2015, 09:07 AM
An article quoting an ex hun erse claiming Scottish Football needs a strong Celtc and Sevco. Craig, GTF.