PDA

View Full Version : Wummin's footie

Malthibby
27-06-2015, 12:21 AM
I know some folk don't rate Women's football but tonight Germany v France was one of the best football games I've seen in a very long time,
skillful, intense, the donkey's bxllxcks. I'm sorry for anyone who thinks it's not proper footie, because they're wrong.
Brilliaant advert for football, irrespecive of gender.

The Harp Awakes
27-06-2015, 12:27 AM
I know some folk don't rate Women's football but tonight Germany v France was one of the best football games I've seen in a very long time,
skillful, intense, the donkey's bxllxcks. I'm sorry for anyone who thinks it's not proper footie, because they're wrong.

Yep, really enjoyed watching the game. France should have won but as ever, the Germans showed their resilience. So refreshing to see no play acting and cynical tackles. Total football.

Matt92
27-06-2015, 12:29 AM
Got no time for womens football - the defending and keeping is laughable, same to the finishing and first touches. Even their World Cup semi final had some laughable moments in it, Hibs would thrash those teams.

Pete
27-06-2015, 12:34 AM
Got no time for womens football - the defending and keeping is laughable, same to the finishing and first touches. Even their World Cup semi final had some laughable moments in it, Hibs would thrash those teams.

Once you accept that it's played by individuals with different physical abilities than what you're used to then you begin to appreciate it.

You wouldn't criticise a fascinating women's Wimbledon final because the chances are that the men's number 100 in the world would thrash them both.

Forza Fred
27-06-2015, 12:38 AM

Given that the quarter finals are on live as I type this, I think I'll discard your comments as some laughable moments having occurred in the semi finals, unless you can forward proof of your power to foresee the future.

Having said that, my view is that Yes, it is not men's football, but the ladies should not be denigrated in any way for what I have seen as being some skilful and committed performances.

It has certainly improved and it was immensely pleasing to see the Sydney Harbour Bridge wide simile on the face of Kyah Simon after she scored the winner for the Aussies against Brazil.

All we can ask anyone, irrespective of sex, is to their very best.

Go the Matilda's!

Forza Fred
27-06-2015, 12:53 AM
Once you accept that it's played by individuals with different physical abilities than what you're used to then you begin to appreciate it.

You wouldn't criticise a fascinating women's Wimbledon final because the chances are that the men's number 100 in the world would thrash them both.

Spot on.

They deserve the utmost praise and encouragement, rather than criticism.

I know the sacrifices that some of the Aussie team have made to follow their dream, and no doubt in many other countries it is the same.

Whether one chooses to watch it or not is up to the individual, but good luck to all of 'em, wherever the come from.

Jdawg
27-06-2015, 02:00 AM

You wouldn't criticise a fascinating women's Wimbledon final because the chances are that the men's number 100 in the world would thrash them both. women's tennis is terrible to watch as well.

Jdawg
27-06-2015, 02:02 AM

You wouldn't criticise a fascinating women's Wimbledon final because the chances are that the men's number 100 in the world would thrash them both. without trying to condescending to women, perhaps they should reduce the size of the goals (just as I hate seeing youth teams playing in full size goals with keepers little over 5 ft). Possibly reducing the pitch size too.

Forza Fred
27-06-2015, 02:40 AM
without trying to condescending to women, perhaps they should reduce the size of the goals (just as I hate seeing youth teams playing in full size goals with keepers little over 5 ft). Possibly reducing the pitch size too.

And in the example of tennis, why don't we reduce the size of the net?

And in golf, only have them play 14 holes instead of 18?

And instead of running in the 100 metres in the Olympics, make Their race only over 90 metres?

Pete
27-06-2015, 03:33 AM
without trying to condescending to women, perhaps they should reduce the size of the goals (just as I hate seeing youth teams playing in full size goals with keepers little over 5 ft). Possibly reducing the pitch size too.

You might actually have a point there. Maybe reducing the size of the goals by a matter of inches and the pitch by a few feet would have a positive effect.

...or are we looking at this the wrong way round and do the women actually have it right? The size of the goal frame and pitch has remained constant for over 100 years while in that time the average male player is taller, faster and more agile.

Maybe the men's game should look at increasing goal size and pitch to make it more like the women's game which is perhaps more true to the original idea than what's evolved from the men's game.

frazeHFC
27-06-2015, 05:59 AM

Pretty sure I remember some laughable defending in the men's world cup semi final courtesy of Brazil... :wink:

Stewboy
27-06-2015, 06:19 AM

And instead of running in the 100 metres in the Olympics, make Their race only over 90 metres?

Women's tee's are further forward in golf

Ricky Bobby
27-06-2015, 06:41 AM
After watching last nights game, there are no doubt a lot very good players. but for some reason the games don't hold my attention the same way the mens game does. It might be down to the pace of the game or the more intense physical edge or maybe the lack of atmosphere at the games. Unfortunately i would still find more interest in watching Ross County playing Partick for example than watch the game last night. Sad but true.

Keith_M
27-06-2015, 06:56 AM

In Tennis Grand Slam, mens matches are best of five and women's are best of three.

The Tee is further forward in women's games.

Given the above, I see no problem having slightly smaller goals for women. What's wrong with taking account of the fact that women are, on average, not as tall as men?

Mikey09
27-06-2015, 06:57 AM

You ever watched some defenders and keepers in the Men's World Cup? Or the African nations cup?? It's pretty laughable as well...

Keith_M
27-06-2015, 07:04 AM
The German Ladies team played a warm-up match against a (male) Bavarian village team. This is Amateurs mind, playing in a Sunday League in public parks in the mountains of Bavaria.

In a close fought and very competitively played match, the German Ladies team won 3-2. Germany had played their first choice eleven.

Take from that what you will.

Bristolhibby
27-06-2015, 07:04 AM

To be fair I'm not into women's tennis either.

The only woman's sports that I'm interested in are the Olympics. And really only because they add to the medals.

For me sport is the physical pinnacle of human endeavour. Women aren't up to that, physically. I get the dedication and effort, but it won't be the women's Olympics100m final that is my must watch event.

J

Keith_M
27-06-2015, 07:05 AM
To be fair I'm not into women's tennis either.

The only woman's sports that I'm interested in are the Olympics.

J

Beach Volleyball?

Bristolhibby
27-06-2015, 07:09 AM
Beach Volleyball?

Yes, I admit, that is a sport where the women's event eclipses the men's. Sadly not for the level of play.

J

DH1875
27-06-2015, 07:11 AM
The German Ladies team played a warm-up match against a (male) Bavarian village team. This is Amateurs mind, playing in a Sunday League in public parks in the mountains of Bavaria.

In a close fought and very competitively played match, the German Ladies team won 3-2. Germany had played their first choice eleven.

Take from that what you will.

Did the guys go in with full blown tackles though or did they just pull out in time?

liamh2202
27-06-2015, 07:11 AM
I really enjoyed it. The sport has came on leaps and bounds. The point about women's golf BTW the proffesionals play off the back tees just like the men.
On a tangent I also liked how the crowd were all seated to the front. Atmosphere was good and made a half empty stadium looked packed on TV.

Keith_M
27-06-2015, 07:16 AM
Did the guys go in with full blown tackles though or did they just pull out in time?

Bavaria is a Catholic region of Germany, so they believe in pulling out at the last moment.

:wink:

Forza Fred
27-06-2015, 07:24 AM
In Tennis Grand Slam, mens matches are best of five and women's are best of three.

The Tee is further forward in women's games.

Given the above, I see no problem having slightly smaller goals for women. What's wrong with taking account of the fact that women are, on average, not as tall as men?

Nothing.

Conversely Lionel Messi is smaller than some women.

jdships
27-06-2015, 07:44 AM

:agree:
Purely from a football/entertainment point of view this game was a 10/10 job !
It had everything skill, passion, drama, controversy ( even a bit of dodgy refereeing :greengrin ) in abundance !!!!!
Watched right to the last penalty :not worth
Great entertainment !!

seanshow
27-06-2015, 08:17 AM
Its entertaining but the standard is poor, a decent mens sunday league side would beat these teams.
If you love watching football at any level u16/21/ juniors whatever, then your more likely to appreciate it.

As for the tennis, During a phone in hosted by Johnny Mac, Tim Henman & guest Andy Murray, a caller phoned in asking how Serena Williams would get on in mens tennis, Tim was too polite to say, but Andy said she would probably be somewhere ranked around the top 500, McEnroe said he was being generous, and that she would be ranked outside the top 1000.

Baldy Foghorn
27-06-2015, 08:32 AM
Good game with some of the best female footballer's in the World. Was good to see the skill on show, and none of the theatrics we see in our game......

Ronniekirk
27-06-2015, 08:32 AM
You ever watched some defenders and keepers in the Men's World Cup? Or the African nations cup?? It's pretty laughable as well...

You clearly mean Brazil ,they embarrassed a nation

jdships
27-06-2015, 09:04 AM
Its entertaining but the standard is poor, a decent mens sunday league side would beat these teams.
If you love watching football at any level u16/21/ juniors whatever, then your more likely to appreciate it.

As for the tennis, During a phone in hosted by Johnny Mac, Tim Henman & guest Andy Murray, a caller phoned in asking how Serena Williams would get on in mens tennis, Tim was too polite to say, but Andy said she would probably be somewhere ranked around the top 500, McEnroe said he was being generous, and that she would be ranked outside the top 1000.

The OP wasn't talking about comparisons nor are the great majority of posters just simply how entertaining this match was as a " stand alone " game .
You just cannot objectively compare women's/men's sports on a physical basis
I have a teenage grandaughter who plays women's rugby and you would never compare it with the men's game . It is still great fun to watch
That is how it should be with the football let the women's game stand on its own merits
Should it not be that you enjoy all levels of football regardless of the " type" ?

:rolleyes:

Keith_M
27-06-2015, 09:34 AM
Good game with some of the best female footballer's in the World. Was good to see the skill on show, and none of the theatrics we see in our game......

:agree:

bingo70
27-06-2015, 09:50 AM

I've been saying this for ages and don't see why it's such an offensive suggestion.

Imo it'd gain more popularity if it stopped trying to prove it is as good as men's football or at least comparable, both games will have its merits so they should do what's best for their game.

If women were to have invented football from scratch last week would they use the same dimensions men are using now? Probably not, they'd make the dimensions the appropriate size for most of the people that would be playing the sport, that wouldn't make them less sports people or devalue anything they'd achieve, its just be the sensible thing to
Do.

Pretty Boy
27-06-2015, 09:52 AM
Some of the comparisons here are ludicrous. Obviously top womens tennis players would struggle against men, as would football players, boxers, sprinters etc. There's very few sports were a direct comparison can be made between women and men because they rely on physical abilities that are markedly different between the sexes.

That doesn't take away from the fact that elite sportswomen are supremely talented athletes and the fact Serena Williams couldn't beat Novak Djokovic doesn't change that. I have been pleasantly surprised by the last couple of Women's World Cups, the standard is markedly better than it was 10-15 years ago and if the game continues to grow at the current rate then it's only going to get better. It's something sports fans should be embracing rather than ridiculing. Sadly a lot of the comment on the WWC, thankfully not on here, has shown at best the silly schoolboy is never far from the surface with some men and at worst the unreconstructed misogynist.

Vault Boy
27-06-2015, 10:00 AM
It would be nice if one day we could discuss women's sport without constantly comparing it to the men's version. It's patronising and pointless.

bingo70
27-06-2015, 10:01 AM
Some of the comparisons here are ludicrous. Obviously top womens tennis players would struggle against men, as would football players, boxers, sprinters etc. There's very few sports were a direct comparison can be made between women and men because they rely on physical abilities that are markedly different between the sexes.

That doesn't take away from the fact that elite sportswomen are supremely talented athletes and the fact Serena Williams couldn't beat Novak Djokovic doesn't change that. I have been pleasantly surprised by the last couple of Women's World Cups, the standard is markedly better than it was 10-15 years ago and if the game continues to grow at the current rate then it's only going to get better. It's something sports fans should be embracing rather than ridiculing. Sadly a lot of the comment on the WWC, thankfully not on here, has shown at best the silly schoolboy is never far from the surface with some men and at worst the unreconstructed misogynist.

I think a lot of it is just light hearted nonsense and no malice intended and in some cases people are a bit over sensitive.

The goalies for example, in the main are ****, there's no getting away from that but if you dare say that then you're accused of being sexist (similar to the African cup of nations by the way but that's a while different can of worms!)

It's good if it's getting better but it's got some way to go before it gets my interest.

StevieT
27-06-2015, 10:17 AM
I have been refereeing ladies football for a couple of years now and I really enjoy it. The ladies are technically good and there is very little, if any, play acting. Comparing it ti the mens game is silly. It is a sport in its own right. We don't compare tennis, golf, athletics etc. so why football. It is years behind the mens game and has very little financial support. It is also unfairly compared to the mens game at every opportunity by some.

Given a chance, and support, ladies football will thrive.

Jdawg
27-06-2015, 10:17 AM

And instead of running in the 100 metres in the Olympics, make Their race only over 90 metres? just done have women's tennis, it's so boring.

Golf, don't women already play from a shorter tee?

Tennis, they only play 3 sets in grand slams.

Jdawg
27-06-2015, 10:21 AM
You might actually have a point there. Maybe reducing the size of the goals by a matter of inches and the pitch by a few feet would have a positive effect.

...or are we looking at this the wrong way round and do the women actually have it right? The size of the goal frame and pitch has remained constant for over 100 years while in that time the average male player is taller, faster and more agile.

Maybe the men's game should look at increasing goal size and pitch to make it more like the women's game which is perhaps more true to the original idea than what's evolved from the men's game. bang on mate.

The fact that I don't watch it much is mainly due to how awful the keepers are. Tackling is al almost non-existent/poor too.

Some of the skill and build up play is really good, albeit it at a slow place.

500miles
27-06-2015, 10:32 AM
I think to enjoy the women's game properly you to either be a bit of a purist, or involved in it.

If you can really appreciate the tactical side, slow possession football, technical discipline, then you can enjoy it on it's own merits. However, a lot of people will miss strength, the pace and the bustle of men's football. Yes there is more diving and cheating in the men's game, but I would suggest that with the money involved, there is a great deal more at stake.

I think women's football does miss a trick when it comes to the size of the pitch, or even the sides. I mean, if female tennis players only have to play 3 sets to mens 5, theres no reason why smaller pitches - and even smaller team sizes - couldn't be the main focus of the women's game. 7s, 9s, I don't know, but something. That's the way that youth football is going, and it's exactly because of the issue of physical limits of the players. I think as well, that it may introduce more of a physically competitive edge if the game is less spread out, and that would benefit it as a more interesting competition.

NAE NOOKIE
27-06-2015, 11:09 AM

Couldn't agree more.

If your starting point is a comparison with the men's game then you are entirely missing the point. The France v Germany match last night was as good a game of football as I've seen in some time.

HFC 0-7
27-06-2015, 11:44 AM
Whilst I agree the comparisons between the men's and women's game are wrong, it's hard not to make comparisons when there are grumblings about women's pay not being close to mens pay in football. There have been quite a few articles recently about it. If they want the same pay or somewhere closer they need to draw the attendances on a regular basis both in the stadium and the tv to generate the income.

In golf there have been calls for women to play in the same tournaments as men, I think there have been a few over the years.

GreenCastle
27-06-2015, 12:39 PM
If you don't like it fine - no one is forcing you to like it.

To talk it down though isn't the way forward - what do people aim to achieve doing this.

The game continues to grow and develop and last nights game showed that. I can bet many of those players are in better shape and have more skillful than many on here who criticise.

Some nonsense about making goals smaller etc - so should a Sunday league team play in bigger goals as they aren't very good ?

The beauty of it is football can be played by all and yes tennis and golf are examples of different circumstances for women but like the majority of sports, females compete in the same way as men.

I recommend anyone to watch the the remaining quarter finals including England and Canada and chances are you will be surprised how much you enjoy it.

There are plenty of crap men's games so men's football is far from the be all and end all - people need to approach the game with a more open mindset and stop comparing a game funded by millions and traditionally more established. Don't forget the Scottish womens team are higher ranked than the males also !

Jdawg
27-06-2015, 12:46 PM
If you don't like it fine - no one is forcing you to like it.

To talk it down though isn't the way forward - what do people aim to achieve doing this.

The game continues to grow and develop and last nights game showed that. I can bet many of those players are in better shape and have more skillful than many on here who criticise.

Some nonsense about making goals smaller etc - so should a Sunday league team play in bigger goals as they aren't very good ?

The beauty of it is football can be played by all and yes tennis and golf are examples of different circumstances for women but like the majority of sports, females compete in the same way as men.

I recommend anyone to watch the the remaining quarter finals including England and Canada and chances are you will be surprised how much you enjoy it.

There are plenty of crap men's games so men's football is far from the be all and end all - people need to approach the game with a more open mindset and stop comparing a game funded by millions and traditionally more established. Don't forget the Scottish womens team are higher ranked than the males also ! sunfay league teams have far better keepers. Gk's in women's football are beyond terrible.

JimBHibees
27-06-2015, 01:35 PM
I have been refereeing ladies football for a couple of years now and I really enjoy it. The ladies are technically good and there is very little, if any, play acting. Comparing it ti the mens game is silly. It is a sport in its own right. We don't compare tennis, golf, athletics etc. so why football. It is years behind the mens game and has very little financial support. It is also unfairly compared to the mens game at every opportunity by some.

Given a chance, and support, ladies football will thrive.

Agree completely a lot of cracking female players including at youth level where many girls are more than a match for boy players at younger ages.

GreenCastle
27-06-2015, 01:36 PM
sunfay league teams have far better keepers. Gk's in women's football are beyond terrible.

I've seen some terrible Sunday league keepers - maybe make the goals smaller for them ?

Jonnyboy
27-06-2015, 03:30 PM
The OP wasn't talking about comparisons nor are the great majority of posters just simply how entertaining this match was as a " stand alone " game .
You just cannot objectively compare women's/men's sports on a physical basis
I have a teenage grandaughter who plays women's rugby and you would never compare it with the men's game . It is still great fun to watch
That is how it should be with the football let the women's game stand on its own merits
Should it not be that you enjoy all levels of football regardless of the " type" ?

:rolleyes:

:agree: Well said

Anyone know why, on the BBC footie page under the title "Womens World Cup" it then shows the scores/fixtures as England Women v Canada Women etc. FFS it's the Womens World Cup so no need to tag the word 'women' to every country's name!

Brightside
27-06-2015, 03:43 PM

What a load of tosh!!! I'd rather have Hope Solo is goals before oxley. All this stuff if just garbage. I youre so sexist to understand the game you really shouldn't watch it.

Jdawg
27-06-2015, 03:49 PM
What a load of tosh!!! I'd rather have Hope Solo is goals before oxley. All this stuff if just garbage. I youre so sexist to understand the game you really shouldn't watch it. haha absolute balls, Solo better then Oxley? Aye good one.

Suggestions to improve the women's game is sexist, oh dear.

Brightside
27-06-2015, 03:52 PM
haha absolute balls, Solo better then Oxley? Aye good one.

Your constant anti comments are offensive and scream of someone with small ***** issues. You don't like women playing football. Fine. Stop watching and stop commenting.

Brightside
27-06-2015, 03:53 PM
haha absolute balls, Solo better then Oxley? Aye good one.

Those women would happily kick you up and down that full size pitch all day long.

bingo70
27-06-2015, 03:57 PM
Your constant anti comments are offensive and scream of someone with small ***** issues. You don't like women playing football. Fine. Stop watching and stop commenting.

Where does he say he doesn't like woman playing football? He's suggested a way to improve the game abd make it more popular, there's been quite a few decent reasons posted on thus thread as to why that'd be a good idea, you need to open your mind to suggested improvements and not take any criticism as sexism.

Fwiw I think your comment about that American goalie being better than Oxley is ridiculous.

iwasthere1972
27-06-2015, 03:57 PM
Doesn't do it for me. Most of the play I've seen is tippy tappy stuff and not enough beefy tackles or red cards.

jdships
27-06-2015, 04:18 PM
:agree: Well said

Anyone know why, on the BBC footie page under the title "Womens World Cup" it then shows the scores/fixtures as England Women v Canada Women etc. FFS it's the Womens World Cup so no need to tag the word 'women' to every country's name!

Absolutely !!!

Brightside
27-06-2015, 04:23 PM
Where does he say he doesn't like woman playing football? He's suggested a way to improve the game abd make it more popular, there's been quite a few decent reasons posted on thus thread as to why that'd be a good idea, you need to open your mind to suggested improvements and not take any criticism as sexism.

Fwiw I think your comment about that American goalie being better than Oxley is ridiculous.

Playing Hope rather than Oxley was obv tongue in cheek as she is a women and they don't play in mens football. BUT she is a top quality womens goal keeper with 4 shut outs in this WC. Even with those massive goals and that really heavy ball.

To suggest women should have a smaller pitch is not a suggestion to improve the game, it made to belittle women and somehow claim they aren't strong enough to play on a pitch of that size. When they are banging shots in from the outside the box do some people really think the goals are too far away? Can they not reach the box with a corner? Are they not strong enough to run up and down the wing? The comments are something from the dark ages.

Personally i have no time for Rugby (Men or Women). I don't watch it as it doesn't entertain me. Perhaps if they weren't allowed to pick the ball up it would be better, or maybe not just picking it up and kicking it out?! But i wouldn't go on a rugby forum and slate it as i don't understand it. The poster above either doesn't understand it, or just gets off on slating women playing a sport that he thinks is only for men.

Brightside
27-06-2015, 04:24 PM
Doesn't do it for me. Most of the play I've seen is tippy tappy stuff and not enough beefy tackles or red cards.

Did you not watch the Ger v Fra game? Plenty beefy tackles alongside some excellent technical football. No red cards though - even despite one of the french girls copying the men and taking a dive.

ekhibee
27-06-2015, 05:08 PM
Well I haven't read through the entire thread, but the Women's World Cup seems to be quite a good tournament with some games certainly worth watching. The only fear I would have is that it is the World Cup. The leagues, in Scotland anyway, don't command big crowds and struggle with sponsorship etc, often through no fault of their own. I'm sure somebody on here pointed out ages ago that Hibernian Ladies don't receive any financial support from Hibs, or very little anyway, and they're consistently high up the top womens league. Maybe with a new regime in charge that's changed. IMO most football commentators are quite sexist in Scotland and that doesn't help at all, but until the women's game, at league level, gets serious sponsorship and more people have to sit up and take notice, there will still be plenty of chauvinism doing the rounds, both on this board and many other football forums. That does not mean obviously that everybody on this board is chauvinistic, far from it, but there's always room for improvement or a change of attitude IMO.

blackpoolhibs
27-06-2015, 05:31 PM
Is there not a forum on here for other sports?:lips seal

Jdawg
27-06-2015, 05:47 PM
Playing Hope rather than Oxley was obv tongue in cheek as she is a women and they don't play in mens football. BUT she is a top quality womens goal keeper with 4 shut outs in this WC. Even with those massive goals and that really heavy ball.

To suggest women should have a smaller pitch is not a suggestion to improve the game, it made to belittle women and somehow claim they aren't strong enough to play on a pitch of that size. When they are banging shots in from the outside the box do some people really think the goals are too far away? Can they not reach the box with a corner? Are they not strong enough to run up and down the wing? The comments are something from the dark ages.

Personally i have no time for Rugby (Men or Women). I don't watch it as it doesn't entertain me. Perhaps if they weren't allowed to pick the ball up it would be better, or maybe not just picking it up and kicking it out?! But i wouldn't go on a rugby forum and slate it as i don't understand it. The poster above either doesn't understand it, or just gets off on slating women playing a sport that he thinks is only for men.

I understand it plenty pal, away and sit down.

I agree with you completely on rugby though, absolute borefest of a sport.

Your solo better than Oxley didn't come across as tongue and cheek. Have a look again at your post.

Oh, the post is about women's football as well.

Jdawg
27-06-2015, 05:48 PM

Fwiw I think your comment about that American goalie being better than Oxley is ridiculous. correct on all points, great post.

Brightside
27-06-2015, 05:59 PM
For those of you that enjoy the game. Aus V Japan will be decent tonight. Australia loads of energy and fight (despite the big pitch and their wee skinny legs). Japan technically very strong and very much a pass and move team. England V Canada could well be a bore fest as the England coach won't let them play expansive football.

Ricky Bobby
27-06-2015, 08:25 PM
For those of you that enjoy the game. Aus V Japan will be decent tonight. Australia loads of energy and fight (despite the big pitch and their wee skinny legs). Japan technically very strong and very much a pass and move team. England V Canada could well be a bore fest as the England coach won't let them play expansive football .

I think you might be right about this ,Englands tactics throughout have been very negative. The competition really needs Canada to win tonight and hopefully get exciting semi finals

IWasThere2016
27-06-2015, 08:27 PM
Yep, really enjoyed watching the game. France should have won but as ever, the Germans showed their resilience. So refreshing to see no play acting and cynical tackles. Total football.

Spot on.

They deserve the utmost praise and encouragement, rather than criticism.

I know the sacrifices that some of the Aussie team have made to follow their dream, and no doubt in many other countries it is the same.

Whether one chooses to watch it or not is up to the individual, but good luck to all of 'em, wherever the come from.

I think it's great tbh. Some very gifted and committed players on show.

MWHIBBIES
27-06-2015, 09:51 PM
Those women would happily kick you up and down that full size pitch all day long.Hope Solo certainly would.

Wotherspiniesta
27-06-2015, 09:54 PM
Womens football is just pish.

Plus, has anyone stopped for a minute to think about their husbands who have been living off takeaway's since they have been at this tournament? :greengrin

Brightside
27-06-2015, 10:23 PM
I might let her if we can make up after!

This would have been some goal tonight...great stuff. https://vine.co/v/eJOYqev3Y1g

Forza Fred
27-06-2015, 11:12 PM
I might let her if we can make up after!

This would have been some goal tonight...great stuff. https://vine.co/v/eJOYqev3Y1g

A great move, and unfortunately the Japanese World Champions were simply too good for the Australian Matildas this morning, beating them 1-0.

In truth the japan were technically a notch ahead of their very courageous Aussie rivals, who spent a fair bit if the match chasing the ball.

Locally the Aussie girls are being hailed for their efforts and rightfully so, and unlike some of the comments on this board their feat is being reasonably analysed.

Yes it is agreed, most people will prefer to watch men,s football - they are not in competition, and the TV market place will obviously decide that male salaries will always be higher than their female compatriots.

The biggest plus is seen as being at grass roots level...and any fathers of daughters may Appreciate.....that the team's performance will now give added encouragement for young girls to take up sport and seek to emulate their new heroes in an environment they are comfortable competing in.

Sport infrastructure and competition historically has been designed by men, and that such achievements by women give them a further springboard and confidence.

So if you don't like I women's football that is fine, but more power to the girls who want to play.....they should be encouraged to do so.

Sean1875
27-06-2015, 11:27 PM
anyone that says they don't like women's tennis obviously hasn't been watching many Maria Sharapova games... :greengrin

HoboHarry
27-06-2015, 11:30 PM
anyone that says they don't like women's tennis obviously hasn't been watching many Maria Sharapova games... :greengrin
Forget her, go for an adventure. I would have tackled that Arantxa Sánchez Vicario. I'm sure she could have smashed my skull with her thighs but holy crap what a night that would been.....:greengrin

iwasthere1972
27-06-2015, 11:45 PM
Can't believe I'm watching wimmens fitba.

2-0 for England. 13 minutes gone.

Hannah_hfc
28-06-2015, 05:23 AM
Everytime I read or hear someone slating women's football I just smile knowing that all the women who made it to the top leagues could probably run rings around those dismissing women playing the sport...

I was involved in the women's setup a few years ago and some of my team mates then went on to play for SWPL / first division teams. The girls at the top put in alot of hard work and determination just to make it up there. Many SWPL players juggle full time employment around training and matches because women's football itself (in Scotland) is not yet a paying career.

Put it this way when you watch mens football, most of the time you are watching those who make a quite-to-very well paid salary for something they do full time. When you watch women's, the majority are squeezing in work and a sport they feel passionate to play and yet can still perform at the entertaining level the WWC has shown us so far.

.....Maybe something to consider before folk jump to dismiss the sport.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Betty Boop
28-06-2015, 06:04 AM
Wummin, Wimmin ? Get a grip eh !:rolleyes:

KWJ
28-06-2015, 07:13 AM
Went down to the boozer here to watch Canada England. Was a decent crowd and noise for it. Canada were the better team I thought but didn't test English keepers at all enough. Sadly, all goals were down to errors made by defence and goals and that's what makes it look bad.

Before England scored there was a brilliant move started by a great tackle in her own box from Schmit of Canada and then a move involving a couple of nutmegs and great cross ball. Striker lacked composure and Van Vossened it.

Good, enjoyable game but sadly still lived up to some of the stereotypes of the game.

I think we just need to get over them in order to enjoy women's football more but it's frustrating and you'd think coachable.

Baldy Foghorn
28-06-2015, 07:44 AM
Everytime I read or hear someone slating women's football I just smile knowing that all the women who made it to the top leagues could probably run rings around those dismissing women playing the sport...

I was involved in the women's setup a few years ago and some of my team mates then went on to play for SWPL / first division teams. The girls at the top put in alot of hard work and determination just to make it up there. Many SWPL players juggle full time employment around training and matches because women's football itself (in Scotland) is not yet a paying career.

Put it this way when you watch mens football, most of the time you are watching those who make a quite-to-very well paid salary for something they do full time. When you watch women's, the majority are squeezing in work and a sport they feel passionate to play and yet can still perform at the entertaining level the WWC has shown us so far.

Good post.......:agree:

Bishop Hibee
28-06-2015, 07:53 AM
The overhyping of Ingurlund is doing my head in. Getting to the semis is a great achievement 😩 but comparing it to 1966 and 1990 is daft. ABE!

Danderhall Hibs
28-06-2015, 08:16 AM
Hope Solo certainly would.

Any time she likes, I'll be there. :greengrin

GreenCastle
28-06-2015, 09:32 AM
Went down to the boozer here to watch Canada England. Was a decent crowd and noise for it. Canada were the better team I thought but didn't test English keepers at all enough. Sadly, all goals were down to errors made by defence and goals and that's what makes it look bad.

Before England scored there was a brilliant move started by a great tackle in her own box from Schmit of Canada and then a move involving a couple of nutmegs and great cross ball. Striker lacked composure and Van Vossened it.

Good, enjoyable game but sadly still lived up to some of the stereotypes of the game.

I think we just need to get over them in order to enjoy women's football more but it's frustrating and you'd think coachable.

What stereotypes do you mean?

Regarding women's goalkeepers - those in the women's game know it's an area to improve and they have some great coaches trying to work on keepers.

As Hibs fans can we really criticise goalkeepers? We have had some absolutely muppets in goals for years..and getting paid good money !!

Don't get me started on keepers like Robert Green who have struggled for England on more money that Hibs keepers.

It's easy to pick holes if you want to talk something down.

Lago
28-06-2015, 09:36 AM
Well done England 2 - 1 and into semi finals, can see them winning this.

Andy74
28-06-2015, 11:06 AM
There's a wee bit too much defensive sensitivity around this. Some of you trying to stand up for the game are doing it s disservice by not accepting criticism of it or telling people not to comment on it.

If it's a real sport, which it is, then it is there for everyone to comment on, good or bad, without falling to the level of accusing people of sexism or close mindedness.

I hate rugby, and in any conversation about it I will tell you why.

Cricket is the same. If people don't like women's football then well and good. Don't patronise the people who take part or enjoy it by being so defensive about it and dismissive of real reasons some people might not enjoy it.

Being a fan of the male version doesn't mean we should inherently like or be interested in other forms of it and I resent any suggestion that people should need to justify that to any extent.

easty
28-06-2015, 11:16 AM
It's ***** as far as I'm concerned. I've heard folk say you shouldn't compare it to the mans game, which of course you should, it's the same game just played much worse.

I read something from one of the England players, Aluko maybe, saying just that, don't compare it to men's football, it's different. Now this morning the manager guy is comparing what they've achieved to England men getting to the World Cup semis in '66 and '90. Nah mate, it's more the equivalent of me winning my pitz league in 1998.

Lago
28-06-2015, 11:16 AM
There's a wee bit too much defensive sensitivity around this. Some of you trying to stand up for the game are doing it s disservice by not accepting criticism of it or telling people not to comment on it.

If it's a real sport, which it is, then it is there for everyone to comment on, good or bad, without falling to the level of accusing people of sexism or close mindedness.

I hate rugby, and in any conversation about it I will tell you why.

Cricket is the same. If people don't like women's football then well and good. Don't patronise the people who take part or enjoy it by being so defensive about it and dismissive of real reasons some people might not enjoy it.

Being a fan of the male version doesn't mean we should inherently like or be interested in other forms of it and I resent any suggestion that people should need to justify that to any extent.
Can't say I'vd seen too much defensive sensitivity in the posts I've read, most merely pointing out the differences in the two games.

Sas_The_Hibby
28-06-2015, 11:42 AM
It's ***** as far as I'm concerned. I've heard folk say you shouldn't compare it to the mans game, which of course you should, it's the same game just played much worse.

I read something from one of the England players, Aluko maybe, saying just that, don't compare it to men's football, it's different. Now this morning the manager guy is comparing what they've achieved to England men getting to the World Cup semis in '66 and '90. Nah mate, it's more the equivalent of me winning my pitz league in 1998.

There's a difference between comparing the male and female forms of the actual game and the achievements of getting through to the semis of a World Cup. The England women's achievement here is every bit as good as that of the men in 1990 and probably greater than that of 1966.

And I think you can rest assured the achievement's a far greater one than you winning your Pitz league in 1998....... :wink:

Pretty Boy
28-06-2015, 11:51 AM

So reaching the semi finals of the biggest international tournament in the professional game is the equivalent of winning the Pitz league?

I rest my case about small minded attitudes.

I've no issue with genuine criticisms of the women's game, they are both needed to help continue improvement and development and often worthwhile observations but stuff like the above is just utter nonsense.

easty
28-06-2015, 12:04 PM
Small minded attitudes. Load of pish.

There's loads of things I don't like watching, cos they're not at all entertaining. Women's football. Women's darts. TOWIE. Songs of Praise. Hearts football style. Badminton.

And I've played with plenty players at the Pitz who are far better than any the women at that World Cup.

I play amateur football, if folk don't want to watch it, or want to call it a **** standard, then feel free. I'll no be looking to defend it by saying you shouldn't compare it to the pro game and you should judge it on its own merits.

Pretty Boy
28-06-2015, 12:15 PM

There's loads of things I don't like watching, cos they're not at all entertaining. Women's football. Women's darts. TOWIE. Songs of Praise. Hearts football style. Badminton.

And I've played with plenty players at the Pitz who are far better than any the women at that World Cup.

I play amateur football, if folk don't want to watch it, or want to call it a **** standard, then feel free. I'll no be looking to defend it by saying you shouldn't compare it to the pro game and you should judge it on its own merits.

Most definitely a small minded attitude.

If you don't enjoy something then fine but I don't see the need for the sneering dismissal of what is a fine achievement by England.

And of course you can't compare amateur football to professional football, male or female. I played with some superb players at amateur and East of Scotland level but every single one of them is utter Pish compared to the EPL, doesn't take away from the fact at their level they were good players. Likewise I played Sunday amateur in my last season in football, the best players in that league were poor compared to EoS standard, still doesn't take away from the fact they were good players at their level. I wouldn't want to watch that level of football, I have little interest in it but I wouldn't belittle their achievements if they won a league or progressed through a cup competition, it's still an achievement regardless of the level.

Lago
28-06-2015, 12:18 PM
Most definitely a small minded attitude.

If you don't enjoy something then fine but I don't see the need for the sneering dismissal of what is a fine achievement by England.

And of course you can't compare amateur football to professional football, male or female. I played with some superb players at amateur and East of Scotland level but every single one of them is utter Pish compared to the EPL, doesn't take away from the fact at their level they were good players. Likewise I played Sunday amateur in my last season in football, the best players in that league were poor compared to EoS standard, still doesn't take away from the fact they were good players at their level. I wouldn't want to watch that level of football, I have little interest in it but I wouldn't belittle their achievements if they won a league or progressed through a cup competition, it's still an achievement regardless of the level.
:top marks

J-C
28-06-2015, 12:24 PM

Get a game going with the winners of the womens world cup and your team and I bet they'd run rings you.

easty
28-06-2015, 12:27 PM
Get a game going with the winners of the womens world cup and your team and I bet they'd run rings you.

I bet they wouldnt.

HUTCHYHIBBY
28-06-2015, 12:28 PM
Don't forget the Scottish womens team are higher ranked than the males also !

What's your point?

Baldy Foghorn
28-06-2015, 12:55 PM

Of course it's pish.....Bet some of these women's teams would give you a decent game.......

Brightside
28-06-2015, 12:58 PM

Haha. You've played with players at the Pitz that are better than any player at the WWC. Aye right.

Baldy Foghorn
28-06-2015, 01:08 PM
Haha. You've played with players at the Pitz that are better than any player at the WWC. Aye right.

This.........

easty
28-06-2015, 01:13 PM
Of course it's pish.....Bet some of these women's teams would give you a decent game.......

I know it's pish. That's kind of the whole point I was making.

And aye, they would give us a decent game. But that says it all really.

easty
28-06-2015, 01:14 PM

Aye

marinello59
28-06-2015, 02:38 PM

Very well said.
I was lucky enough to take in the France v USA game at Hampden during the Olympics and it was a fantastic occasion.

jdships
28-06-2015, 02:50 PM

Excellent post IMHO
Why shouldn't girls/women play sports that men play ?
As I posted earlier my teenage g/daughter plays rugby school/club and has just told me she is going to play " summer football" this year
Sport is an important part of anyone ones life if they are lucky enough to stay fit and well !!

Scouse Hibee
28-06-2015, 02:51 PM

Your last sentence makes you out to be a bit of a fool tbh.

blackpoolhibs
28-06-2015, 03:26 PM
Excellent post IMHO
Why shouldn't girls/women play sports that men play ?
As I posted earlier my teenage g/daughter plays rugby school/club and has just told me she is going to play " summer football" this year
Sport is an important part of anyone ones life if they are lucky enough to stay fit and well !!

I dont think anyone is saying that, i personally think its great girls and boys take up ANY sport?

LaMotta
28-06-2015, 04:28 PM
I know it's pish. That's kind of the whole point I was making.

And aye, they would give us a decent game. But that says it all really.

Agreed.

Swedish womens team played against a local boys under 17 team who were a man short about 2 years ago and the boys won 3 -0.

Strongbow also flew a team of male amateurs from portsmouth to play a brazilian proffesional womens team last year. The men won 7 -1....

It would be interesting to see examples of women beating men if they exist of course.

Pretty Boy
28-06-2015, 04:45 PM
Agreed.

Swedish womens team played against a local boys under 17 team who were a man short about 2 years ago and the boys won 3 -0.

Strongbow also flew a team of male amateurs from portsmouth to play a brazilian proffesional womens team last year. The men won 7 -1....

It would be interesting to see examples of women beating men if they exist of course.

Taking the UK as an example. The average male is just under 5'11" and weighs 13.5 stone, an average woman is 5'3" and weighs a shade over 11 stone. With such a huge physical advantage in a physical game is it any wonder an average male side would beat an elite womens side?

I think people are spectacularly missing the point, it's not about what England Ladies could do against an obscure amateur side but about accepting and recognising achievement in the sport in it's own right. The WWC is elite level sport for women, comparisons to men are pointless.

By the same logic I could argue Floyd Mayweather is a rubbish boxer because he would lose to Tyson Fury. I wouldn't though because it's ridiculous, as is comparing men v women in a sports where physicality plays a huge part.

LaMotta
28-06-2015, 05:05 PM
Taking the UK as an example. The average male is just under 5'11" and weighs 13.5 stone, an average woman is 5'3" and weighs a shade over 11 stone. With such a huge physical advantage in a physical game is it any wonder an average male side would beat an elite womens side?

I think people are spectacularly missing the point, it's not about what England Ladies could do against an obscure amateur side but about accepting and recognising achievement in the sport in it's own right. The WWC is elite level sport for women, comparisons to men are pointless.

By the same logic I could argue Floyd Mayweather is a rubbish boxer because he would lose to Tyson Fury. I wouldn't though because it's ridiculous, as is comparing men v women in a sports where physicality plays a huge part.

Its not pointless to compare womens and mens football in fact i think it is a very interesting comparison....plenty of people on here are doing so and some are saying that women from the world cup would run rings round amateur men. There doesnt appear to be much actual evidence of that though imo but i reckon Marta would be playing at a pretty high level in the mens game!

I have certainly enjoyed watching the games i have seen from the wwc

Ps the best male footballer in the world is 5ft 6 and 10.5 stone!

Baldy Foghorn
28-06-2015, 05:09 PM
We have a female at Golf Cub playing off 2, probably in the top 1-2% lowest handicaps in Club, should she stop playing because more men are members?

Women's World Cup has been enjoyable, the elite females in their game......

Keith_M
28-06-2015, 05:09 PM
Agreed.

See below.

Baldy Foghorn
28-06-2015, 05:11 PM
Guessing those panning the women's game, would not be pleased if Hibs Ladie's lifted their Scottish Cup?

LaMotta
28-06-2015, 05:14 PM
See below.

Cheers i missed that earlier!!

easty
28-06-2015, 05:20 PM
Guessing those panning the women's game, would not be pleased if Hibs Ladie's lifted their Scottish Cup?

I'd be happy for them. Wouldn't watch it on the telly though.

B.H.F.C
28-06-2015, 05:22 PM

I can genuinely say I'd take very little notice of it. But, of course, I'd rather they won it than another team.