PDA

View Full Version : Petrofactraining Cup

PatHead
25-06-2015, 01:12 PM
Draw takes place on Monday at 2.30 for anyone who is interested in finding out our opponents.

Can be watched on http://petrofactrainingcup.com/

le bill
25-06-2015, 01:28 PM
ahh pity I'm washing my hair then! (if i had any left!) :wink:

BOB MARLEYS DUG
25-06-2015, 04:37 PM
Play the kids.

Centre Hawf
25-06-2015, 05:00 PM
Watch as ourselves and Rangers get easy draws to the final so they have a grand finale to make the tournament have a bit of buzz around it.

hfc rd
25-06-2015, 05:10 PM
Play the kids.

This. Promotion back to the Prem is far more important.

HibbyAndy
25-06-2015, 05:11 PM
Ughh.

Do we really have to take part in this pathetic excuse for a cup ?

Play the under 13's!

Nonsense cup!!

mim
25-06-2015, 05:14 PM
Watch as ourselves and Rangers get easy draws to the final so they have a grand finale to make the tournament have a bit of buzz around it.
Just like last season?

Titch
25-06-2015, 05:20 PM
Treat it like pre season then if we progress use the kids

danhibees1875
25-06-2015, 05:37 PM
Try our best to win it. As we should every game/competition.

Centre Hawf
25-06-2015, 05:39 PM
Just like last season?

I honestly think that they set us up with Rangers to get a big interest from it early on. Then the hope was Hearts and the winner of our game got to the final. Just a shame Hearts got absolutely pumped by Livi eh:greengrin

NORTHERNHIBBY
25-06-2015, 05:47 PM
It's a cup competition and if we got to the final I would guess that we would take a big support wherever it was played.

lord bunberry
25-06-2015, 05:53 PM
Is it regionalised in the early rounds? I could do without a trip to Elgin or Stranraer

Keith_M
25-06-2015, 05:56 PM
The first game will be part of our preparation for the season. Any subsequent games should be used to give fringe and youth players first-team experience.

Billy Whizz
25-06-2015, 05:59 PM
Is it regionalised in the early rounds? I could do without a trip to Elgin or Stranraer

The 1st round last year was a North and South split. We were in the south draw. The Fife teams were all in the North

Hibby Bairn
25-06-2015, 06:18 PM
We all moan about no sponsors in Scottish Football and yet here is one doing their bit and we just slap it down.

lord bunberry
25-06-2015, 06:18 PM
The 1st round last year was a North and South split. We were in the south draw. The Fife teams were all in the North
Cheers, when I decided to go to every game next season I thought about giving these games a miss. I've now decided that every game means every game, so I'll be going to the petrofact cup games.

emerald green
25-06-2015, 06:31 PM
We all moan about no sponsors in Scottish Football and yet here is one doing their bit and we just slap it down.

I'm not knocking this company, goodness knows Scottish football needs as much sponsorship money as it can get, but (serious question) do you happen to know how much ££££££s their sponsorship amounts to?

As far as the actual competition is concerned, personally I'm not interested. Hibs have a far more important competition to win, and that's where their full attention should be firmly focused.

Baldy Foghorn
25-06-2015, 06:37 PM
If AS wants to play first team then great, for me winning games early breeds confidence. If he decides to play a weakened team fine, however, I think he will play his strongest team though, he is a winner........

For that I want to win the Cup.......

GreenArmyyy!
25-06-2015, 06:37 PM
Don't care....

Baldy Foghorn
25-06-2015, 06:39 PM
Don't care....

Not be going to the Final should we make it then?

FFS Hibs are playing and folk don't care? Get a grip....

Ringothedog
25-06-2015, 06:44 PM
If AS wants to play first team then great, for me winning games early breeds confidence. If he decides to play a weakened team fine, however, I think he will play his strongest team though, he is a winner........

I agree.

Any game Hibernian play, league, cup,friendly,under 20, under 18,ladies etc I want them to win.

Smartie
25-06-2015, 06:56 PM
I am not at all bothered whether we win this cup or not but being in it could be of use to us.

I wouldn't just play all the kids. I'd play a core of first team players, dropping those who may need the rest the most or those who have a tendency to pick up niggly injuries.

We need to know what Handling/ Stanton/ Harris/ Martin/ Crane/ Dunsmore/ Lewis Allan/ new reserve keeper etc can do in a proper competitive fixture with other first team regulars playing.

This competition provides that opportunity and the longer we're in it the more opportunities to see them we get.

Hermit Crab
25-06-2015, 07:08 PM
It's football, it's Hibs therefor I'm interested and I'll be there. :thumbsup:

Jonnyboy
25-06-2015, 07:09 PM

Nutshell :agree:

southern hibby
25-06-2015, 07:10 PM
I'm all for 100% effort in every game we play from pre-season to last game of the season. We need to and should be aiming for wins in all competitions as we have been seen as a soft touch for to long.
Let's show Scottish football ( and any other team we play ) if your our opposition we will play you to our full potential.

GGTTH

Baldy Foghorn
25-06-2015, 07:18 PM

Spot on HC.....

Pretty Boy
25-06-2015, 07:19 PM

Spot on.

I want to win it and I'll support the team same as I do in every other competition. If folk want to look down on it then fine but if we do win it I intend to have a great day at the final and get pished and celebrate at night.

Baldy Foghorn
25-06-2015, 07:20 PM
I'm all for 100% effort in every game we play from pre-season to last game of the season. We need to and should be aiming for wins in all competitions as we have been seen as a soft touch for to long.
Let's show Scottish football ( and any other team we play ) if your our opposition we will play you to our full potential.

GGTTH

Indeed, we can only beat what's in front of us.....

Billy Whizz
25-06-2015, 07:22 PM
Be nice to get a home draw, no pre season games at ER as it stands

Baldy Foghorn
25-06-2015, 07:24 PM
Be nice to get a home draw, no pre season games at ER as it stands

Mobile (Internet) with us on Monday....:wink:

Eyrie
25-06-2015, 07:31 PM

Last season we got the easy draw of a newly promoted club that had only existed for two years. They took us to extra time and beat us when we were down to nine players due to a shocking red card and cramp.

Billy Whizz
25-06-2015, 07:36 PM
Mobile (Internet) with us on Monday....:wink:

Money will be in my pocket well before then

Baldy Foghorn
25-06-2015, 07:41 PM
Money will be in my pocket well before then

:greengrin

Dashing Bob S
25-06-2015, 08:31 PM
Do we have to enter this joke of a tournament?

It really is rather beneath us.

Squad players and development lads only please, Stubbsy.

Diclonius
25-06-2015, 08:38 PM
Why comment if you don't care?

In it to win it. :aok:

lord bunberry
25-06-2015, 09:12 PM
And you'll be expecting us to lose as always :greengrin
only joking mate.

matty_f
25-06-2015, 10:08 PM
If we're in it, I want us to try and win it. I can't think of Hibs playing and me not being bothered if we win or not.

greenlex
25-06-2015, 10:20 PM
First round tie and I'll be at the ga................ At Mar Hall playing golf.

Denverhibby
26-06-2015, 01:49 AM
Spot on HC.....

And when we win it will be one more cup than THE RANGERS have ever won

ozhibs
26-06-2015, 05:48 AM
I agree.

Any game Hibernian play, league, cup,friendly,under 20, under 18,ladies etc I want them to win.

This

DH1875
26-06-2015, 06:57 AM
Wait till we get to the final and see the amount of moaning going on because folks can't get a ticket (I'll be one of them).

dangermouse
26-06-2015, 07:54 AM
Wait till we get to the final and see the amount of moaning going on because folks can't get a ticket (I'll be one of them).

I feel a loyalty points discussion looming :greengrin

AndyM_1875
26-06-2015, 07:59 AM
Just noticed we could theoretically draw Edinburgh City in this as the tournament is split into North and South regions for the early rounds and the winners of the Highland and Lowland leagues are in the tournament.

Hopefully we get a home tie and it's a good warm up for the League Cup the following week.

Steve20
26-06-2015, 08:03 AM
Couldn't care less about this cup. Ranks lower than the Tennents' Sixes used to for me.

linlithgowhibbie
26-06-2015, 08:57 AM
First round tie and I'll be at the ga................ At Mar Hall playing golf.

If its any help I'll take your place at Mar Hall, never played there!!!!:wink:

PS, I'm attending the cup draw coz I won a competition to represent Hibs fans, "saddo" or what???Hopefully I'll be picked to make the draw.

:gwa:

ian cruise
26-06-2015, 09:11 AM
And when we win it will be one more cup than THE RANGERS have ever won

Now there's an incentive to win it.

Baldy Foghorn
26-06-2015, 10:22 AM
Couldn't care less about this cup. Ranks lower than the Tennents' Sixes used to for me.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::zzzzz!::zzzzz!:

khib70
26-06-2015, 10:56 AM
:confused:Exactly the kind of Billy Big Baws attitude we frequently and rightly condemn Sevco and the poppy thieves for. It's a competition for lower league clubs, of which we are one. As others have said - it's football, and it's Hibs. We can start looking down our nose at tournaments when we've earned the right to do so.

matty_f
26-06-2015, 10:59 AM
:confused:Exactly the kind of Billy Big Baws attitude we frequently and rightly condemn Sevco and the poppy thieves for. It's a competition for lower league clubs, of which we are one. As others have said - it's football, and it's Hibs. We can start looking down our nose at tournaments when we've earned the right to do so.

Exactly, Hibs should be doing all we can to get into the habit of winning games and trophies, and that means trying to win a competition that we should have an outstanding chance of winning.

The Rangers and Hibs have resources that dwarf the rest of the lower league teams, we are (IMHO) second favourites after The Rangers to win the competition, and so we should go for it.

If I'm paying to watch a game, I want to see a Hibs side going all out to win it.

NAE NOOKIE
26-06-2015, 11:49 AM
Ughh.

Do we really have to take part in this pathetic excuse for a cup ?

Play the under 13's!

Nonsense cup!!

Though it certainly shouldn't be a priority for us, that's a wee bit OTT don't you think? Its not as if sponsors are rushing to support our game, the least we owe any firm willing to put money into the game is to have a wee bit of respect for the competition they are backing.

AndyM_1875
26-06-2015, 12:10 PM

Well said.

We have absolutely no right whatsoever to sneer at the Petrofac cup. We may think we are better than being a Championship club but despite being a so called "Big Club" we are in the Championship for the second season in a row.

As we are in this cup we should look to win it and it's a good tournament that will keep the squad ticking over nicely as we (hopefully!) progress deeper into the tournament whilst trying to win every League game as well.

Andy74
26-06-2015, 12:14 PM
Let's not forget that our players have Gary McKay's medals haul to chase down before they end their careers. Every little helps.

matty_f
26-06-2015, 01:06 PM
Let's not forget that our players have Gary McKay's medals haul to chase down before they end their careers. Every little helps.

:hilarious

emerald green
26-06-2015, 06:17 PM

It's not a question of "looking down our nose at tournaments". It's a question of priorities IMHO.

Where I'm coming from is that this football club must get its priorities right, and the Petrofac training cup should come well down (bottom) its order of priorities.

If Hibs did not have to enter this competition, and they were still in the Premier division, I would suggest that the overwhelming majority of Hibs supporters wouldn't be in the slightest bit interested in this competition.

Will there be an open top bus parade along Princes Street if Hibs win it? It's hardly a prestige tournament. It's not one that goes down in the history books, no matter who wins it.

HibbyAndy
26-06-2015, 06:43 PM
It's not a question of "looking down our nose at tournaments". It's a question of priorities IMHO.

Where I'm coming from is that this football club must get its priorities right, and the Petrofac training cup should come well down (bottom) its order of priorities.

If Hibs did not have to enter this competition, and they were still in the Premier division, I would suggest that the overwhelming majority of Hibs supporters wouldn't be in the slightest bit interested in this competition.

Will there be an open top bus parade along Princes Street if Hibs win it? It's hardly a prestige tournament. It's not one that goes down in the history books, no matter who wins it.

Correct, I get the fact everyone of us want's to win every game we play in but i can't and won't get all het up and excited about this little cup. Training cup FFS.

bob12345
26-06-2015, 06:51 PM
To play devil's advocate... If people are genuinely worried progression will harm our league chances, then should we be putting the kids out in the League Cup? We have a much slimmer chance of winning that.

In my opinion it's a great chance to win a cup and if we do well it'll inspire more confidence and winning mentality in the team than it will tire them. Play the first team and blood youngsters when the opportunities arise.

Thecat23
26-06-2015, 07:06 PM

And it's a ****ty pointless cup that could cost us later in the season. Play the kids and I'll still be there!

Thecat23
26-06-2015, 07:07 PM
To play devil's advocate... If people are genuinely worried progression will harm our league chances, then should we be putting the kids out in the League Cup? We have a much slimmer chance of winning that.

In my opinion it's a great chance to win a cup and if we do well it'll inspire more confidence and winning mentality in the team than it will tire them. Play the first team and blood youngsters when the opportunities arise.

For the record I would play the kids in the league cup. Promotion this season is now a must. Simple as that!!

lord bunberry
26-06-2015, 10:28 PM
When the hibs go up to lift the petrofact training cup I'll be there

B.H.F.C
26-06-2015, 10:33 PM
First round is a good chance to get the first team ready for the first league game. And given there are only 3 first team fixtures listed for pre season, I'd guess that's the way Stubbs is looking at it as well.

Thereafter I don't really care about it. Although I'll still be at the games and hoping we win.

Baldy Foghorn
26-06-2015, 10:45 PM

Tell that to the Raith fans when they beat Derhun to lift the trophy

Pretty Boy
27-06-2015, 06:26 AM
Tell that to the Raith fans when they beat Derhun to lift the trophy

Or the Huns fans for that matter. They were crying out for a bigger venue as they could have sold more than the 17K tickets they did sell. They were absolutely desperate to win that game and raging that they didn't.

tinnyhibby
27-06-2015, 06:44 AM
Try our best to win it. As we should every game/competition.

I agree with this. Get the winning habit firmly established.

DH1875
27-06-2015, 07:04 AM
Or the Huns fans for that matter. They were crying out for a bigger venue as they could have sold more than the 17K tickets they did sell. They were absolutely desperate to win that game and raging that they didn't.

That's my point. Watch is place go into melt down if we reach the final of this diddy cup and are only given 5k-7k tickets for it.

Baldy Foghorn
27-06-2015, 08:30 AM

:aok:

Diclonius
27-06-2015, 09:09 AM
That's my point. Watch is place go into melt down if we reach the final of this diddy cup and are only given 5k-7k tickets for it.

Or if we lose.

CB_NO3
27-06-2015, 11:16 AM
I personally want nothing to do with that cup. Embarrassed that we are actually in it. Use it as a friendly IMO.

SteveHFC
27-06-2015, 11:39 AM
:agree:

Keith_M
27-06-2015, 01:47 PM

I hereby promise not to make a fuss to get a Cup Final ticket.

In fact, I promise to make no effort whatsoever to get a ticket.

iwasthere1972
27-06-2015, 01:53 PM
I personally want nothing to do with that cup. Embarrassed that we are actually in it. Use it as a friendly IMO.

Plus we wouldn't have enough space in our trophy cabinet for it. The cleaners have enough silverware to polish without adding to their workload.

When is the final?

Dashing Bob S
27-06-2015, 02:05 PM

I agree - this is a time wasting tournament for losers. By all means give the squad players and development kids a run out, but FFS don't put any real effort into this embarrassment. There are a finite number of important games for us, and NONE of them are in this tournament. Winning this nonsense would actually be a bigger humiliation than getting knocked out in the first round.

Yes, WE ARE in the second tier of Scottish Football, and it is an ongoing embarrassment to a club of our size and history. Let's concentrate on G(ing)TF out and not wasting time and energy on the distraction of loser tournaments. There are too many Hibs fans who have become accepting of mediocrity, and would be happy playing down here in the joke league and competing in toytown cups.

Brooster
27-06-2015, 02:22 PM
Some incredible arrogance on show here. Mostly from folk who hardly ever go to Easter Road in any case I wouldnt mind betting.

GreenCastle
27-06-2015, 02:34 PM
I want us to win it - it's not like we have had loads of cup success over the years.

Do we just not bother with the League Cup and Scottish Cup also ?

Also does a cup top up cover these games ?

Does a season ticket include possible play offs - wasn't made clear.

marinello59
27-06-2015, 02:37 PM
. There are too many Hibs fans who have become accepting of mediocrity, and would be happy playing down here in the joke league and competing in toytown cups.

Name one. I don't know any Hibs fans who are happy to be in this league. Not one. You're suspiciously close to über-fan territory there.

lord bunberry
27-06-2015, 02:48 PM
Name one. I don't know any Hibs fans who are happy to be in this league. Not one. You're suspiciously close to über-fan territory there.
Accepting mediocrity is the wrong term IMO. But there's no doubt that there's been a lowering of expectations in the last few years. Some might call that being realistic, whilst others will call it accepting mediocrity. There was a time when we would have expected our club to be contenders for the league and get into the latter stages of European competitions, now we expect a lot less. The question is do we expect enough from our club? We should be just as competitive as Hearts, Aberdeen and Dundee Utd, but the fact is we're not.

Conj
27-06-2015, 04:59 PM
How is wanting to win a cup, albeit a lower league cup, accepting mediocrity or lowering expectations?? Strangest comment I've seen on here in a while.

Dashing Bob S
27-06-2015, 05:37 PM

Me! I love it and I can't wait to get me pic taken with that Petrofac Cup on the next ER open day!

You can't buy memories like that.

matty_f
27-06-2015, 05:56 PM
Surely it's worse not winning a pish cup that you're in, than it is winning it?

Baldy Foghorn
27-06-2015, 08:37 PM
Some incredible arrogance on show here. Mostly from folk who hardly ever go to Easter Road in any case I wouldnt mind betting.

Agreed, some arrogance indeed, obviously some have forgotten we were relegated, then failed to get promoted. This Cup is for all teams outwith SPL, some need to get over themselves...:rolleyes:

Chibs
27-06-2015, 09:01 PM
Me! I love it and I can't wait to get me pic taken with that Petrofac Cup on the next ER open day!

Sarcasm the lowest form of wit.

DH1875
28-06-2015, 09:19 AM

You might not but I'll tell you who will love it, all the kids who are our future support. They won't know or care its a diddy cup, they'll still get the buzz of getting their photo with a cup and seeing their team win something.

GreenCastle
28-06-2015, 09:35 AM
You might not but I'll tell you who will love it, all the kids who are our future support. They won't know or care its a diddy cup, they'll still get the buzz of getting their photo with a cup and seeing their team win something.

Agreed - any success for me is a benefit to the club - knock on effects of merchandising etc.

Still awaiting a reply from their who say it's a joke cup - should we field a weaker team for league or Scottish cup ? Fans be happy with with ? Especially those who paid cup top ups and may travel expecting a win?

O'Rourke3
28-06-2015, 09:44 AM
Draw is everything. Away to The Ibrox again and we could go out. The Jambos only started punting they "we weren't interested" after Livingston put 4 past them. I'd rather we had some competition rather than exhibition friendlies for fitness.

Anyway - in the event we progress as far as the Final - will we be able to play at ER? Best capacity for a tourney this size......

Pretty Boy
28-06-2015, 09:47 AM
Draw is everything. Away to The Ibrox again and we could go out. The Jambos only started punting they "we weren't interested" after Livingston put 4 past them. I'd rather we had some competition rather than exhibition friendlies for fitness.

Anyway - in the event we progress as far as the Final - will we be able to play at ER? Best capacity for a tourney this size......

Depending who we played, assuming we get there obviously, I'd guess Rugby Park or Tynecastle.

Then again given all the Billy big baws in our support who are above this tournament it might be that Ainslie Park will do.

Big_Franck
28-06-2015, 10:12 AM

Not true. Hearts played their subs and young players in that game showing that they couldn't care less if they got knocked out. They did that and concentrated on the league, as we should.

stoneyburn hibs
28-06-2015, 10:36 AM
We're in it, so let's try and win it.

My_Wife_Camille
28-06-2015, 10:49 AM
I agree with those that say use the first round as pre season for the first team and then let the kids play. Stubbs said a couple of times towards the end of last season that players were starting to tire because it was a long season and it's not a huge squad. There's no point in making the season any longer by playing our top players in this pointless Consolation Cup.

Play the kids. If they win, great. If they lose, I'll be over it before I've even changed the channel.

emerald green
28-06-2015, 11:10 AM
Not true. Hearts played their subs and young players in that game showing that they couldn't care less if they got knocked out. They did that and concentrated on the league, as we should.

emerald green
28-06-2015, 11:23 AM
Agreed - any success for me is a benefit to the club - knock on effects of merchandising etc.

Still awaiting a reply from their who say it's a joke cup - should we field a weaker team for league or Scottish cup ? Fans be happy with with ? Especially those who paid cup top ups and may travel expecting a win?

Are you suggesting the Petrofac training cup equates, in any way, with the prestige and importance of winning either the Scottish Cup or Scottish League Cup to HFC and its supporters? Of course Hibs shouldn't field a weaker team for those two important tournaments. Nobody is daft enough to suggest that are they?

As I've said before, my point is that it's a question of priorities, and the Petrofac training cup should be way down this club's order of priorities. At no time have I said it's a joke cup although I've heard plenty others refer to it in those terms. Both Hibs supporters, and supporters of other clubs.

BTW what exactly would the "knock on effects of merchandising etc" be? Compared to winning promotion from the Championship for example?

PS: I've got a cup top up on my season ticket.

I agree with those that say use the first round as pre season for the first team and then let the kids play. Stubbs said a couple of times towards the end of last season that players were starting to tire because it was a long season and it's not a huge squad. There's no point in making the season any longer by playing our top players in this pointless Consolation Cup.

Play the kids. If they win, great. If they lose, I'll be over it before I've even changed the channel.

O'Rourke3
28-06-2015, 11:47 AM

Opinions eh?. I knew that but reckoned they thought their squad was better than Livingston's. "We're not interested in the SC" is easy to state after you get pumped again in Round 1. You play your squad to win not shrug your shoulders when you get beat. What's that teaching the youngsters?

Baldy Foghorn
28-06-2015, 12:51 PM
Opinions eh?. I knew that but reckoned they thought their squad was better than Livingston's. "We're not interested in the SC" is easy to state after you get pumped again in Round 1. You play your squad to win not shrug your shoulders when you get beat. What's that teaching the youngsters?

We should play every game to win, those who don't think so, need a reality check.....

marinello59
28-06-2015, 02:44 PM

Bob, Bob, Bob. Where did it all go wrong? You need to change the user name to Grumpy Old Bob S, you've aged beyond your Dashing nomenclature.
Embrace it, the Meldrew years are OK really.:greengrin

Dashing Bob S
28-06-2015, 02:50 PM
Bob, Bob, Bob. Where did it all go wrong? You need to change the user name to Grumpy Old Bob S, you've aged beyond your Dashing nomenclature.
Embrace it, the Meldrew years are OK really.:greengrin

I'm afraid that age, hemorrhoids and relegation have exacted rather a heavy psychic burden, old chap.

Also, one needs to get laid, and am off right now to actively work on this.

marinello59
28-06-2015, 03:07 PM
I'm afraid that age, hemorrhoids and relegation have exacted rather a heavy psychic burden, old chap.

Also, one needs to get laid, and am off right now to actively work on this.

Possibly the only antidote to all this.

Wilson
28-06-2015, 03:27 PM
Possibly the only antidote to all this.

He'll be away for a no Hope Solo.