PDA

View Full Version : Taking Our Chances (A MUST THIS SEASON)

Wellbankhibby
23-06-2015, 08:14 PM
Although I am pleased at early transfer business I still think we need a first class striker to stick away chances. Last Season we dictated lots of games but failed to land the killer touch required to gain promotion. At the end of the day we lost out to The Rangers in the play off and Falkirk after hammering them in the Semi-Final. Most of my fellow Hibees on here dont seem to bothered about strikers. I dont know if James Keatings is the answer but I really hope so. We really do have to be rutheless this season and take our chances. Is it just me that is concerned that we didnt take our chances last season or were people happy with the strike force. GGTTH :agree:

Eyrie
23-06-2015, 08:17 PM
Cummings and Malonga were top and fourth top scorers in the league, whilst El Alagui missed almost the entire season through injury. We've also added Keatings who scored almost as many with limited game time.

Our scoring issues lie deeper as the midfield scored disappointingly few.

Diclonius
23-06-2015, 08:47 PM
I'd hope Keatings will be the clinical finisher we needed last season, as well as El Alagui when he reaches full fitness. Cummings will no doubt improve his finishing this season through experience, and Malonga blows hot and cold. I suspect he'll be fourth choice.

Wellbankhibby
23-06-2015, 09:02 PM
Cummings and Malonga were top and fourth top scorers in the league, whilst El Alagui missed almost the entire season through injury. We've also added Keatings who scored almost as many with limited game time.

I accept what your saying but we still missed a barrow load of chances. I just feel we need a top class striker the best we can afford.

Deansy
23-06-2015, 09:17 PM

Agree 100%. Plus, I'm really hoping that Malonga can add a bit more 'animation/energy' to his game, I often feel he does the 'bare minimum' and, IMHO, it's a waste as I really think we have a great player in him but it's getting him to realise/show that. I really rate him, when he has the ball at his feet, there's very few can take it off him !

As Eyrie says, it's goals from midfield that we need more of this season.

lord bunberry
23-06-2015, 09:58 PM
Scoring goals wasn't our problem last season, it was losing cheap goals when we were dominating games. Teams came and sat in and we struggled to break them down, then we lost a goal and from nothing. It was a situation that most of our team hadn't encountered before, but as the season went on we tended to cope much better and scored plenty goals( 2nd top scorers in the league) it must be hard for players to adjust to playing s completely different type of game when things aren't going your way early on in the season. Hearts started well and never lost that momentum, whereas we took a few months to get to grips with what was required.

Waxy
23-06-2015, 10:18 PM
Although I am pleased at early transfer business I still think we need a first class striker to stick away chances. Last Season we dictated lots of games but failed to land the killer touch required to gain promotion. At the end of the day we lost out to The Rangers in the play off and Falkirk after hammering them in the Semi-Final. Most of my fellow Hibees on here dont seem to bothered about strikers. I dont know if James Keatings is the answer but I really hope so. We really do have to be rutheless this season and take our chances. Is it just me that is concerned that we didnt take our chances last season or were people happy with the strike force. GGTTH :agree:Striker is the only area we DONT need to strengthen imo.

Danderhall Hibs
24-06-2015, 05:41 AM

:agree: midfield need to chip in.

I don't think we missed that many clear cut chances - we didn't create enough that the strikers couldn't miss.

hibbymick
24-06-2015, 06:02 AM
As someone said we lost far too many cheap goals last season. Maybe its the defence we should be taking a look at and trying to improve.

The Leith Dutch
24-06-2015, 08:39 AM
:agree: midfield need to chip in.

I don't think we missed that many clear cut chances - we didn't create enough that the strikers couldn't miss.

This for me.

Midfield were not a particular goal threat and also weren't enough of our players there playing quality passes in to the strikers consistently.
Consequently too much tippy tappy around the box with a lot of players unwilling to take a shot.

allezsauzee
24-06-2015, 09:24 AM
As someone said we lost far too many cheap goals last season. Maybe its the defence we should be taking a look at and trying to improve.

We only conceded 6 more than Hearts but scored 26 less despite dominating games more than they did. Scoring goals is the priority.

jacomo
24-06-2015, 09:36 AM

:agree:

And Craig and Robbo scored more than our other midfielders. Hopefully Carmichael will contribute.

hibby67
24-06-2015, 09:44 AM
Scoring goals wasn't our problem last season, it was losing cheap goals when we were dominating games. Teams came and sat in and we struggled to break them down, then we lost a goal and from nothing. It was a situation that most of our team hadn't encountered before, but as the season went on we tended to cope much better and scored plenty goals( 2nd top scorers in the league) it must be hard for players to adjust to playing s completely different type of game when things aren't going your way early on in the season. Hearts started well and never lost that momentum, whereas we took a few months to get to grips with what was required.

would like to see last seasons goals to chances stats for both ends of the park. i'm sure the defensive ones would be worse.

dmc1875
24-06-2015, 10:27 AM
With Cummings, Malonga, El Alagui, Keatings and Boyle I thing we have an abundance of goal scorers to be honest. Midfield is were we need to see more goals scored.

J-C
24-06-2015, 10:29 AM
I'd like to see Malonga playing in the hole, he's not an out and out striker and although his return was decent he doesn't always work great in a 2 up top, his link up play though is top notch and could see him being used behind the strikers, playing almost like a front 3.

GreenOnions
24-06-2015, 10:31 AM
This for me.

Midfield were not a particular goal threat and also weren't enough of our players there playing quality passes in to the strikers consistently.
Consequently too much tippy tappy around the box with a lot of players unwilling to take a shot.

Agree. I think Stubbs does too. Although we've lost three central midfielders, I think we had too many players in midfield last season whose game does not involve pace or getting up with or beyond the strikers. We don't need to replace like-for-like. Boyle wasn't playing for us for most of last season and he has brought in Carmichael too so I consider these signings to be improving our balance compared to last season.

Apart from 'keepers I see our priorities now in order as centre-back/right back cover (maybe Paul Watson?), left back cover and another forward-minded central midfielder with a bit of pace. If we have budget remaining I'd then bring in a defensive midfielder.

RoscoHibby
24-06-2015, 11:01 AM
I'd hope Keatings will be the clinical finisher we needed last season, as well as El Alagui when he reaches full fitness. Cummings will no doubt improve his finishing this season through experience, and Malonga blows hot and cold. I suspect he'll be fourth choice.

Barring us snapping up Falcao or Higuian, Malonga will be our 1st choice striker next season. He is the best striker we have.

The_Horde
24-06-2015, 01:00 PM
I think we also need to concentrate on not conceding silly goals while we're on top in games just as much as taking our chances

Franck Stanton
24-06-2015, 01:09 PM
I think we also need to concentrate on not conceding silly goals while we're on top in games just as much as taking our chances

The words "Nail" "Hit" and "Head " come to mind. :thumbsup:

Waxy
24-06-2015, 01:27 PM
I'd like to see Malonga playing in the hole, he's not an out and out striker and although his return was decent he doesn't always work great in a 2 up top, his link up play though is top notch and could see him being used behind the strikers, playing almost like a front 3.His first touch is excelllent and he holds the ball up so well, perfect for the role your saying.