Ozyhibby
22-06-2015, 12:45 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/22/bff288def3b9a0e7da68e752cce7d550.jpg

The top ten most watched matches last season in Scotland

patlowe
22-06-2015, 12:59 PM

Very interesting - would also be great to see how the play-off matches compare, considering the pittance BT paid for them over the next few years.

steve75
22-06-2015, 01:15 PM
Individual team stats

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CIF-PCRWwAA_DT2.png:large

Islington Hibs
22-06-2015, 01:47 PM

Interesting 8 to 10 were in Championship and 4 with us.

It shows 3 things 1. People want to watch a completive league. The Premiership is dull as Celtic have won at already. Again the Championship will be the most interesting campaign and where the viewing is. 2) The viewing figures are pretty small and astonishingly so in the SPL. The brand is worth little outside Scotland 3) There needs to be action on making the league more competitive. There is limited appeal if there is limited competition. Somehow Celtic (and in time The Rangers) need constrained.

iwasthere1972
22-06-2015, 01:58 PM

Do these figures include all the folk who can't be bothered going but go to the pub and watch the games? :stirrer:

tartanhibee
22-06-2015, 02:02 PM
I take it this does not include games on the BBC ie Celtic v the Rangers.

Shows nobody really wants to watch Scottish football.

Nutmegged
22-06-2015, 02:04 PM
Interesting 8 to 10 were in Championship and 4 with us.

It shows 3 things 1. People want to watch a completive league. The Premiership is dull as Celtic have won at already. Again the Championship will be the most interesting campaign and where the viewing is. 2) The viewing figures are pretty small and astonishingly so in the SPL. The brand is worth little outside Scotland 3) There needs to be action on making the league more competitive. There is limited appeal if there is limited competition. Somehow Celtic (and in time The Rangers) need constrained.

Competitive League? Hearts had won the Championship before the turn of the year and Aberdeen I'm sure were top of the Premiership in February.

Ozyhibby
22-06-2015, 02:31 PM

The figure are similar to Rugby league but they get £90m every 5 years.
Either they have better negotiators than Doncastor or Playing in summer helps with TV money.

patlowe
22-06-2015, 02:41 PM

Are the figures really that bad? In 2013/14 the average TV audience for an English Premiership match, in the best, most super-duper, massive, ginormous league in the world, was 1m. Considering we are supposedly at our lowest ebb, have been through Armageddon, get paid an absolute pittance for our matches in comparison, and are pretty much derided by all and sundry, you would think it was just one man and his dog watching these games. As I say, I would like to see how many watched the play-off matches as BT got away with murder for that contract.

green&left
22-06-2015, 03:01 PM
Some figures I posted on a thread earlier from Scottish & English TV audiences incase anyones interested... Clicky (http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?299336-New-TV-deal&p=4327252&viewfull=1#post4327252)

Sioux
22-06-2015, 04:57 PM
Interesting that at start of season 327,000 watched Huns n Herts, but by the January game that had reduced to 265,000. Seems that over 60,000 Huns had given up on their team. Similarly the Hibs n Huns game in December had 239,000 but only 182,000 in February. Over 50,000 missing. They don't do walking away right enough!

matty_f
22-06-2015, 05:48 PM
Interesting that at start of season 327,000 watched Huns n Herts, but by the January game that had reduced to 265,000. Seems that over 60,000 Huns had given up on their team. Similarly the Hibs n Huns game in December had 239,000 but only 182,000 in February. Over 50,000 missing. They don't do walking away right enough!
Think it has more to do with the broadcaster, Sky Sports has more subscribers than BT Sports IIRC.

Sioux
22-06-2015, 05:56 PM
Think it has more to do with the broadcaster, Sky Sports has more subscribers than BT Sports IIRC.

Point taken.

givescotlandfreedom
22-06-2015, 08:22 PM
Not much interest in the sheep fiddlers despite being their best season in decades.

jacomo
22-06-2015, 08:46 PM
Some figures I posted on a thread earlier from Scottish & English TV audiences incase anyones interested... Clicky (http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?299336-New-TV-deal&p=4327252&viewfull=1#post4327252)

Interesting that Man City v Liverpool, SS1, Sunday 12pm, gets only 1.3m viewers. Not that big for a top, top billing.

What's the sauce for all these btw?

ballengeich
22-06-2015, 08:53 PM
The figures show that Scottish football is really centred on Edinburgh, not the west's provincial towns. The top seven games all had one or both of the capital's teams playing.

Sammy7nil
23-06-2015, 06:26 AM
The figures show that Scottish football is really centred on Edinburgh, not the west's provincial towns. The top seven games all had one or both of the capital's teams playing.
LOL :c:greengrin

Speedy
23-06-2015, 07:44 AM
The figure are similar to Rugby league but they get £90m every 5 years.
Either they have better negotiators than Doncastor or Playing in summer helps with TV money.

It would be interesting to know the number of people subscribing based on Scottish football / Rugby League being shown.

Sir David Gray
23-06-2015, 07:48 AM
It shows that Sevco has the most armchair fans in Scotland.

green&left
23-06-2015, 07:52 AM
Interesting that Man City v Liverpool, SS1, Sunday 12pm, gets only 1.3m viewers. Not that big for a top, top billing.

What's the sauce for all these btw?

Lifted from a Celtic blog post I seen on twitter a while back, the original author is a member of http://www.barb.co.uk/ :aok:

patlowe
23-06-2015, 09:12 AM
Stats from English Premiership:

Clearly bigger figures than those cited for Scotland but, relatively speaking, I would say we compare pretty well. Or am I missing something?

1.5m for Chelsea v Man City compared to 240,000 for Rangers v Hibs. Think about the size of those English clubs, what they are competing for, the players they can attract, the mountains of cash they get from Sky, the population disparity, the amount of effort and money that is put into the TV production etc - should we not be wondering why the English Premiership gets around 100x more £ but doesn't get more than around 6x the audience of a second tier 'mickey mouse' league for such a match?

I'm repeating myself but if you consider the way in which we in this country and others talk down our game and what it has been through, I'd say our audiences don't compare too badly. Realistically, how many people do we expect to be watching when everyone goes on about how bad everything is in Scottish football?

Maybe I've got my maths wrong...

NB. I appreciate the figures will be inflated somewhat by the number of long-distance Rangers fans but we are still undersold regardless. I would argue that 178,000 for Hibs v Hearts isn't bad either, considering the circumstances (Championship, fan disillusionment, playing each other 4 times a season etc).

Ozyhibby
23-06-2015, 09:26 AM
Stats from English Premiership:

Clearly bigger figures than those cited for Scotland but, relatively speaking, I would say we compare pretty well. Or am I missing something?

1.5m for Chelsea v Man City compared to 240,000 for Rangers v Hibs. Think about the size of those English clubs, what they are competing for, the players they can attract, the mountains of cash they get from Sky, the population disparity, the amount of effort and money that is put into the TV production etc - should we not be wondering why the English Premiership gets around 100x more £ but doesn't get more than around 6x the audience of a second tier 'mickey mouse' league for such a match?

I'm repeating myself but if you consider the way in which we in this country and others talk down our game and what it has been through, I'd say our audiences don't compare too badly. Realistically, how many people do we expect to be watching when everyone goes on about how bad everything is in Scottish football?

Maybe I've got my maths wrong...

NB. I appreciate the figures will be inflated somewhat by the number of long-distance Rangers fans but we are still undersold regardless. I would argue that 178,000 for Hibs v Hearts isn't bad either, considering the circumstances (Championship, fan disillusionment, playing each other 4 times a season etc).

There is no doubt that we are under selling the Scottish game. I honestly think a web based spfl channel is the way to go in future if the broadcasters continue to refuse to pay what we are worth.

seanshow
23-06-2015, 02:27 PM
Lifted from a Celtic blog post I seen on twitter a while back, the original author is a member of ]http://www.barb.co.uk/[/B] :aok:

are the figures not estimated guesses anyway? 5000 recording boxes representing 65 million people or something.

...but still more accurate than the radio audience figures right enough. :greengrin

DH1875
23-06-2015, 04:28 PM
Would have thought the derby would have been on the list more than once to be honest.

lord bunberry
23-06-2015, 05:20 PM
It jjust goes to show how bored people have become with the premiership, I didn't watch a single game from the top flight last season. If those figures aren't a wake up call to the people(no pun intended) running our game then I don't know what is.