PDA

View Full Version : Lewis Stevenson

Vault Boy
19-06-2015, 09:02 PM
Interview (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIRwe-k3IaA) about his extension. Testimonial in the pipeline it seems.

green day
20-06-2015, 07:28 AM
Well, he probably needs the testimonial - genuine sign from my local a couple of weeks ago :greengrin:greengrin

jacomo
20-06-2015, 03:21 PM
Not a natural interviewee.

Mind you, the other guy is not a natural interviewer! 'Let me ask you a question and then answer it for you.'

Also, that large badge stuck on the tiles looks poor. Is there not a more inspiring place to do these?

HibsNutter
20-06-2015, 04:44 PM
Hope he gets the testemonial at the end of his Hibs career rather than just now tbh, he has endured more bad memories than good ones playing here, hopefully in a few more years we'd have more to celebrate with him

Jim44
23-06-2015, 05:40 PM
I just noticed that a Lewis Stevenson testimonial has been announced. It was a small article in the Daily Express and don't know if it's accurate.

Baldy Foghorn
23-06-2015, 05:50 PM
I just noticed that a Lewis Stevenson testimonial has been announced. It was a small article in the Daily Express and don't know if it's accurate.

Opposition mentioned Jim?

IanM
23-06-2015, 06:04 PM
Not a natural interviewee.

Mind you, the other guy is not a natural interviewer! 'Let me ask you a question and then answer it for you.'

Also, that large badge stuck on the tiles looks poor. Is there not a more inspiring place to do these?

Not even a well deserved Lewis?

Jim44
23-06-2015, 06:08 PM
Opposition mentioned Jim?

No details.

Baldy Foghorn
23-06-2015, 06:13 PM
No details.

Cheers

jacomo
23-06-2015, 06:26 PM
Not even a well deserved Lewis?

I'm a big fan of Lewis, have said many times that I want him to stay at the club and happy to do so again.

:aok:

Pretty Boy
23-06-2015, 06:32 PM
Hope LS does get a testimonial. One I'd definitely go along and support.

IanM
23-06-2015, 06:37 PM
I'm a big fan of Lewis, have said many times that I want him to stay at the club and happy to do so again.

:aok:

That's better! Haha.. Although agree those tiles make it look like a bathroom 😂

bingo70
23-06-2015, 06:55 PM
Hope LS does get a testimonial. One I'd definitely go along and support.

As long as he gives the profits to charity I'd go.

Players don't need their earnings topped up these days.

Pretty Boy
23-06-2015, 07:02 PM

Yep, at least a decent percentage.

That was one of the many reasons I refused to support Ian Murrays testimonial, the failure of the organisers to confirm what percentage of the proceeds were going to charity.

keep the faith
23-06-2015, 07:50 PM

That was one of the many reasons I refused to support Ian Murrays testimonial, the failure of the organisers to confirm what percentage of the proceeds were going to charity.

You missed one of the most enjoyable afternoons at ER in recent years.

Pretty Boy
23-06-2015, 08:03 PM
You missed one of the most enjoyable afternoons at ER in recent years.

Myself and about 10000 others.

Cocaine&Caviar
23-06-2015, 08:11 PM
Raith Rovers fan isn't he?

blackpoolhibs
23-06-2015, 08:14 PM
Myself and about 10000 others.

:greengrin I was not the biggest Lewis Stevenson fan, but over the last couple of years he's won me over. I'd like a better left back, just like i'd like a better centre half and centre forward.

Until we get one he will do for now, there are other positions much more important that need improved.

Lewis has done the 10 years unbroken service and deserves a testimonial. :top marks

Big L
23-06-2015, 08:20 PM

That was one of the many reasons I refused to support Ian Murrays testimonial, the failure of the organisers to confirm what percentage of the proceeds were going to charity. Murray was on 8,000 a week when he went to the huns, Lewis has been on piss poor cash for 10 years, been a good servant thru out. Last season was his best in a green jersey and if anyone deserves a testi. He does!! In my humble opinion.

Shrekko
23-06-2015, 08:23 PM
Raith Rovers fan isn't he?

He was a Rangers fan as a boy but is now Hibs through and through which is all that matters.

Disagree that Lewis should be under pressure to give a chunk of the proceeds to charity and really hope people will turn up regardless. I doubt football has made him financially secure at this point and anyone who's been at a club as long as he has these days deserves a wee windfall. Testimonials are rarely well attended these days so he's unlikely to make a fortune in any case.

He's played in League Cup and Scottish Cup finals and is an under 21 internationalist. He's been our player of the year at least twice and was in the Championship team of the year this year. Not a bad career by any manner of means and still a good 5/6 years ahead of him.

bingo70
23-06-2015, 08:27 PM
Murray was on 8,000 a week when he went to the huns, Lewis has been on piss poor cash for 10 years, been a good servant thru out. Last season was his best in a green jersey and if anyone deserves a testi. He does!! In my humble opinion.

He won't have been on piss poor cash since he was about 16 or 17. He won't have made mega bucks but he'll have earned a good wage throughout his career for playing football every day.

I think a testimonial is a good idea and he deserves recognition for his efforts, I think any financial gain that comes from it though should go to a charity of his choice. Remember although it's a short career he won't have to stop actually working altogether and he seems like a bright guy so I'm sure he'll have been planning for life after football for a while.

Big_Franck
23-06-2015, 08:30 PM
Murray was on 8,000 a week when he went to the huns, Lewis has been on piss poor cash for 10 years, been a good servant thru out. Last season was his best in a green jersey and if anyone deserves a testi. He does!! In my humble opinion.

Agreed, its a different situation entirely to Stevenson's. As well as his hun payday Murray also had a few years at Norwich earning a decent wedge.

Lewis has been one of the lowest paid players in our team throughout his career and now has two young kids. I'd not be expecting him to give much, if anything, to charity.

Jim44
23-06-2015, 08:33 PM
LS went to school in Kircaldy so may very well have supported Raith Rovers. He lives in a big private housing estate in Dunfermline which is hardly stockbroker belt and I think he is entitled to earn a few quid from a testimonial.

Pretty Boy
23-06-2015, 08:34 PM
Agreed, its a different situation entirely to Stevenson's. As well as his hun payday Murray also had a few years at Norwich earning a decent wedge.

Lewis has been one of the lowest paid players in our team throughout his career and now has two young kids. I'd not be expecting him to give much, if anything, to charity.

I'm one of the lowest paid people in the company I work for,and earning a lot less than every 1st team player at Hibs. I don't expect a wedge from our customers after working there for 10 years though.

A testimonial these days should be a chance for fans to show appreciation for a decent servant, which I'd happily support, not a handout to someone earning upwards of £50K a year.

bingo70
23-06-2015, 08:35 PM

I'd expect him to average out at around £1k a week basic plus bonuses, sure he's more than capable of supporting his family on that without it needing to be topped up by, in most cases, people who earn considerably less.

Big_Franck
23-06-2015, 08:45 PM
I'm one of the lowest paid people in the company I work for,and earning a lot less than every 1st team player at Hibs. I don't expect a wedge from our customers after working there for 10 years though.

A testimonial these days should be a chance for fans to show appreciation for a decent servant, which I'd happily support, not a handout to someone earning upwards of £50K a year.

That's fair enough, thats your point of view. Id say its different though for two reasons. The first being that you probably dont have to retire in your 30s and secondly it probably isnt the norm to get a testimonial or other similar payout in your industry.

Im more than happy to attend a testimonial for Lewis regardless of how much he gives to charity.

Pretty Boy
23-06-2015, 08:49 PM
That's fair enough, thats your point of view. Id say its different though for two reasons. The first being that you probably dont have to retire in your 30s and secondly it probably isnt the norm to get a testimonial or other similar payout in your industry.

Im more than happy to attend a testimonial for Lewis regardless of how much he gives to charity.

Players have to retire from football in their 30s, not from working. Guys leave the army after similar timescales and don't expect never to work again.

They have a 15-20 year career to plan for that day. Open university, coaching badges, all manner of retraining opportunities really and with far more financial comfort than many people looking to change career at such an age.

Big_Franck
23-06-2015, 08:53 PM
I'd expect him to average out at around £1k a week basic plus bonuses, sure he's more than capable of supporting his family on that without it needing to be topped up by, in most cases, people who earn considerably less.

I think the average will have been less than that and considering how p1sh we've been for years i can't imagine him having made much from bonuses.

Those that are on considerably less can decide for themselves whether they want to attend the game or not. I think he deserves it though.

Bishop Hibee
23-06-2015, 08:53 PM
I will be attending. Hibs All Star XI v the Rest of the World 😉

The_Sauz
23-06-2015, 09:08 PM
Hibs V 2007 Select would be nice :agree:

keep the faith
23-06-2015, 09:08 PM
Oh no! Not all this again. Can we not just support this testimonial? Fill the ground and reward a great servant to the club.
Like we used to!!

PatHead
23-06-2015, 09:20 PM
Ther club can't organise a testimonial for Lewis as it would create a large tax problem for him.

What can happen though is that an independent group of supporters can organise it at arms length from the club (with their unofficial blessing and by them not being seen to help by the taxman). I understand that moves are afoot to get things underway.

bigwheel
23-06-2015, 09:22 PM
Oh no! Not all this again. Can we not just support this testimonial? Fill the ground and reward a great servant to the club.
Like we used to!!

Agree agree agree. Please let go of these queries and hang ups and just go along and simply say thanks. He deserves it ..

PatHead
23-06-2015, 09:25 PM
Agree agree agree. Please let go of these queries and hang ups and just go along and simply say thanks. He deserves it ..

Yip

Greenworld
23-06-2015, 09:26 PM
How does it cause a large tax problem. . He just pays the tax due like all of us 40% I would imagine

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

PatHead
23-06-2015, 09:29 PM
How does it cause a large tax problem. . He just pays the tax due like all of us 40% I would imagine

There are ways he wouldn't have to pay 40% or more and maybe offset some of the costs. Seemingly the way most testimonials are set up these days.

Greenworld
23-06-2015, 09:33 PM
There are ways he wouldn't have to pay 40% or more and maybe offset some of the costs. Seemingly the way most testimonials are set up these days.
I understand that but why? if I turn to my employer and try to escape paye then I know the answer...players from any club should pay there dues. ...I will be in the minority in this view point I know.

PatHead
23-06-2015, 09:40 PM
I understand that but why? if I turn to my employer and try to escape paye then I know the answer...players from any club should pay there dues. ...I will be in the minority in this view point I know.

But your employer would not be doing anything it is just the 10000 or so customers who want to make a donation.

Greenworld
23-06-2015, 09:42 PM
But your employer would not be doing anything it is just the 10000 or so customers who want to make a donation.
Dress it up how u like its dodging ....might be legal but thats life these days I suppose

mca
23-06-2015, 09:44 PM
Players have to retire from football in their 30s, not from working. Guys leave the army after similar timescales and don't expect never to work again..

Even in their 30`s - Some Retirement Pay-outs From the Forces are akin to the Amount a Testimonial might Raise.. :wink:

PatHead
23-06-2015, 09:45 PM
Dress it up how u like its dodging ....might be legal but thats life these days I suppose

If I'm making a donation to Lewis's testimonial I want as much of it as possible going to Lewis not the taxman.

Greenworld
23-06-2015, 09:49 PM
If I'm making a donation to Lewis's testimonial I want as much of it as possible going to Lewis not the taxman.
I understand 10000 folk puting 20 quid each in his birthday card....not having a go pathead lewis deserves it I like the guy.....

CallumLaidlaw
23-06-2015, 10:13 PM
Delighted for Lewis to get a testimonial. Unlike Ian Murrays farce, I will definitely attend this. 10 years at 1 club is a big achievement these days in particular.

hfc rd
23-06-2015, 10:32 PM
Will definitely attend a Lewis Stevenson testimonial. 10 year service at Hibs is something you don't normally see that often. Always plays with his heart on the sleeve.

CRAZYHIBBY
23-06-2015, 10:53 PM
Has he ever been linked to other clubs. ? ......i can't think of a single club that has made a move for him . Hes a great player and my 7 year olds favorite

Nando™
23-06-2015, 10:57 PM
Never had an ounce of temptation to attend Ian Murray's joke, but will be attending this.

FWIW I hope they do everything they can to make sure all the money goes to Lewis and not the taxman.

bigwheel
24-06-2015, 04:19 AM
Has he ever been linked to other clubs. ? ......i can't think of a single club that has made a move for him . Hes a great player and my 7 year olds favorite

Stuart McCall has shared that he wanted to sign him when he was manager of Motherwell....

CropleyWasGod
24-06-2015, 06:11 AM
Ther club can't organise a testimonial for Lewis as it would create a large tax problem for him.

What can happen though is that an independent group of supporters can organise it at arms length from the club (with their unofficial blessing and by them not being seen to help by the taxman). I understand that moves are afoot to get things underway.
If it's in his contract that he's entitled to a testimonial, and that he is entitled to proceeds from it, those proceeds are taxable.

Having a whip - round, as it were, would not be taxable.

The contents of his contract are key to the taxability.

J-C
24-06-2015, 08:01 AM
What happens when a work colleague gets to 25 years service or retiring, there's usually a presentation of a gold watch or something similar and all the workers chip in and buy him/her a special gift. Having a testimonial is the cubs way of showing their thanks for his services, something in this day and age is becoming less and less with the ever changing landscape of football. Footballers have a short career and have to think about changing their future at around 34-35, many don't stay in the game and go into other careers, the money made from testimonials is there to help them adjust into any new career they choose, it's not as some have suggested extra cash to just boost their wage packets, remembering that playing for Hibs means you're on a very average to low wage to begin with, it's extra money for re training, investment etc for the players future, if he feels he has enough in the bank and wants to give some to charity, well that's up to the individual.

Brightside
24-06-2015, 08:24 AM

Ive read this and the other post you put up on this... I really don't understand your view point. He played for us for 10 years, a great servant for the club. He's been on a average of £1k per week say... £52k per year, say £35k after tax... So a wee bit more than the average normal job. BUT he will retire in a few years and no longer be able to earn that money and you think he should give the income to charity?? That's staggering. We are not talking English Premiership players here. The lad is no better off than probably half the people on this board.

Green Fish
24-06-2015, 08:33 AM
I don't pretend to know how much LS has earned in the past or how much he does now. A few years ago I did some work with his mother who indicated he wasn't earning alot of money. I'm sure his contract has been negotiated and improved since then but I can't believe some would grudge him his testimonials. A nicer, more grounded lad you would struggle to find. A loyal player who has given his all through thick and thin.

Pretty Boy
24-06-2015, 08:52 AM
Ive read this and the other post you put up on this... I really don't understand your view point. He played for us for 10 years, a great servant for the club. He's been on a average of £1k per week say... £52k per year, say £35k after tax... So a wee bit more than the average normal job. BUT he will retire in a few years and no longer be able to earn that money and you think he should give the income to charity?? That's staggering. We are not talking English Premiership players here. The lad is no better off than probably half the people on this board.

How do the vast majority of pro players who don't get a testimonial cope without the cash boost it brings?

Brightside
24-06-2015, 09:11 AM
How do the vast majority of pro players who don't get a testimonial cope without the cash boost it brings?

Very few 10yr club players left tbh. The majority instigate moves to ensure they get plenty of signing on bonuses to shove into the pension.

CapitalGreen
24-06-2015, 09:18 AM
When I want to make a donation to charity I do so, I don't need somebody else doing it on my behalf.

bigwheel
24-06-2015, 09:20 AM
are some people really moaning about rewarding a 10year + loyal player with a Testimonial. Firstly, after all the expenses of setting up a game and other events, do you really feel we are going to help Lewis to retire without any worries? You will be lucky if he got anywhere near £100k pre tax...probably net he might get 20-40K in total after tax and expenses. OK, it's a big sum for the majority of people - for him it will be somewhere in areas of 6-12 months net earnings...

It is a thank you, It is a reward. To get it he, and his committee will have to put in a lot of graft...

If people really grudge it, then don't go...but it seems so churlish to not simply respect his milestone. One that very few Hibs players ever reach...I thought it would simply be a moment of celebration - one to enjoy..and if he gets a wedge out of it - magic!! well earned...

Biggie
24-06-2015, 11:39 AM
are some people really moaning about rewarding a 10year + loyal player with a Testimonial. Firstly, after all the expenses of setting up a game and other events, do you really feel we are going to help Lewis to retire without any worries? You will be lucky if he got anywhere near £100k pre tax...probably net he might get 20-40K in total after tax and expenses. OK, it's a big sum for the majority of people - for him it will be somewhere in areas of 6-12 months net earnings...

It is a thank you, It is a reward. To get it he, and his committee will have to put in a lot of graft...

If people really grudge it, then don't go...but it seems so churlish to not simply respect his milestone. One that very few Hibs players ever reach...I thought it would simply be a moment of celebration - one to enjoy..and if he gets a wedge out of it - magic!! well earned...

well said that man......10 years with hibs, the lads earned it.

jacomo
24-06-2015, 11:56 AM
When I want to make a donation to charity I do so, I don't need somebody else doing it on my behalf.

That makes you very unusual. The vast majority of charitable donations are prompted by an ask or an event of some kind.

Pretty Boy
24-06-2015, 11:56 AM

At no point have I, or anyone else, moaned about LS getting a testimonial. In this day and age 10 years with one club is a hell of an achievement an he deserves his special day.

What I said was I would like to see a percentage of the proceeds go to a charity, preferably of Lewis' choosing. It's something that has become increasingly common in the post maximum wage era even in the relative poverty of Scottish football.

If others disagree then fine, and truth be told even if there was no charitable aspect I'd probably still go as I like LS and think he more than deserves a day in.the sun. I don't see why my opinion has got a few so worked up, at no point have I suggested LS shouldn't get a tetimonial, in fact reading back I was one of the 1st to say he most definitely should.

My_Wife_Camille
24-06-2015, 12:23 PM
At no point have I, or anyone else, moaned about LS getting a testimonial. In this day and age 10 years with one club is a hell of an achievement an he deserves his special day.

What I said was I would like to see a percentage of the proceeds go to a charity, preferably of Lewis' choosing. It's something that has become increasingly common in the post maximum wage era even in the relative poverty of Scottish football.

If others disagree then fine, and truth be told even if there was no charitable aspect I'd probably still go as I like LS and think he more than deserves a day in.the sun. I don't see why my opinion has got a few so worked up, at no point have I suggested LS shouldn't get a tetimonial, in fact reading back I was one of the 1st to say he most definitely should.PB, you have been posting on here long enough to know that most posters don't actually read other posts. They glance at them and rant

bigwheel
24-06-2015, 12:58 PM

If others disagree then fine, and truth be told even if there was no charitable aspect I'd probably still go as I like LS and think he more than deserves a day in.the sun. I don't see why my opinion has got a few so worked up, at no point have I suggested LS shouldn't get a tetimonial, in fact reading back I was one of the 1st to say he most definitely should.

Some people on this thread have put conditions on whether they would go or not...amount to charity etc, and in previous threads there have been dissenters.....didn't reference you in my mail or quote anything you had said...glad you support the testimonial, I do too..

bigwheel
24-06-2015, 12:58 PM
PB, you have been posting on here long enough to know that most posters don't actually read other posts. They glance at them and rant

yep...and others make sarky comments without adding content to the topic....

PatHead
24-06-2015, 03:28 PM
If it's in his contract that he's entitled to a testimonial, and that he is entitled to proceeds from it, those proceeds are taxable.

Having a whip - round, as it were, would not be taxable.

The contents of his contract are key to the taxability.

That's why it won't be in his contract and Hibs are keeping an arms length away

KWJ
24-06-2015, 07:21 PM

2/5 go bankrupt apparently. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/active/11028666/What-do-footballers-do-when-they-retire.html

DH1875
25-06-2015, 06:36 AM
No problem if Lewis gets one and if he does, couldn't care less if he gives any of the money to charity or not.