PDA

View Full Version : Hibs shareholders; old ones; new ones; future ones …

Jack
18-06-2015, 09:42 AM
Lend me your ears :hug:

A few of the guys at Working Together thought, with all these new shares kicking about, it might be a good idea to resurrect the Hibernian Shareholders Association (HSA, but I’ll get back to that). But first of all we thought it might be a good idea to see what our on-line Shareholders and supporters thought about that.

There are 4 of us in the group.

Rod, who is a former office bearer with the old HSA. He has been in touch with the other office bearers and they’re delighted the Association may be reborn.

Then there’s Kevin, a supporter director candidate who already does lots for the club; Auld Eric, Orkney Hibs among other Hibs interests and finally me – many of you will already have an opinion on what I am!

The original objectives of the Association were;

The objects of the Association are:

a)to provide a meeting place for persons keenly interested in the well-being and continued existence of Hibernian Football Club;

b)to stimulate support for Hibernian Football Club;

c)to represent the interests of shareholders in Hibernian Football Club, and to ensure that the Directors of The Club are made aware, from time to time of the views of the Association;

d)to promote such discussions as might be considered desirable or appropriate at any time on matters which affect the interests and well-being of Hibernian Football Club, and to offer suggestions and assistance to Hibernian Football Club Limited, and to persons or bodies connected with Hibernian Football Club.

The ‘continued existence of Hibernian Football Club’ was a very much in the minds of the Association in its heyday and it played an important role in saving our club during the Hands Off Hibs period.

We have already had exploratory talks with the club that have been very helpful. It has been suggested, among other things, that Association members could meet informally with directors and officials of the club in a Q&A session during the year.

We have had informal chats with HSL, who have indicated they would like to become members if this goes ahead.

It will be for the members of the Association to decide on everything including its representation and its activities; one that has been discussed has been fundraising actives for the benefit of the club, such as the very popular annual dinner they held in the dim and distant past.

There would be an annual subscription, suggested at £10 (was £5 in the early 1990s). This would allow the Association to provide membership cards and also stuff like mailings for those members not on-line.

If this goes ahead we feel it needs a new name. The initials 'HSA' are now well established with the Hibernian Supporters Association so as to avoid confusion it needs to change.

I liked the idea of something Hibernian I??? B??? Shareholders but I’m not bright enough to think of something catchy so in the meantime my 3 colleagues thought our working title should be the Association of Hibernian Shareholders, AHS (members of the Judean People's Front and the People's Front of Judea, :shhhsh!: I know what you're thinking :gun:).

Over to you folks, the floor is open.

What are your thoughts?

Firstly should an Association be reformed? If so ...

What should it be for, what should its ambitions be and all that sort of stuff.

Thank you.

Jack

Andy74
18-06-2015, 09:47 AM
Not for me personally. I own direct and through HSL and I think too many committees and groups is unhelpful. Shareholders have the AGM to ask questions and HSL in time will discuss issues with their members.

Allowing the club staff more time to get on with their roles and not meeting another fans group would be my preference personally.

Jack
18-06-2015, 10:08 AM
Not for me personally. I own direct and through HSL and I think too many committees and groups is unhelpful. Shareholders have the AGM to ask questions and HSL in time will discuss issues with their members.

Allowing the club staff more time to get on with their roles and not meeting another fans group would be my preference personally.

Fair enough. I would add though that Leeann is enthusiastic about it.

Golden Bear
18-06-2015, 10:12 AM
By coincidence, as an original shareholder I got an e mail from Frank Dougan this morning inviting me to purchase additional shares but this time via HSL.

The e mail was very well written but I'm not sure if I'm ready to invest (donate) more sheckles into the Club.

Geo_1875
18-06-2015, 10:20 AM
I think it would be a good idea to reconstitute the association. Apart from giving you something to keep you busy in your twilight years, the increasing number of individual shareholders need a conduit to the club.

With regard to HSL I did ask the question:

23. Would HSL be open to forming an association with other fan shareholders?

Our sole function, as outlined in our Articles, is to collect funds and buy shares in HFC.

I don't see what has changed and but I do see the benefit in a unified approach.

Jack
18-06-2015, 10:46 AM
I think it would be a good idea to reconstitute the association. Apart from giving you something to keep you busy in your twilight years, the increasing number of individual shareholders need a conduit to the club.

Our sole function, as outlined in our Articles, is to collect funds and buy shares in HFC.

I don't see what has changed and but I do see the benefit in a unified approach.

Thanks for that Geo!

It would be up to HSL at the end of the day what type of association they had with AHS. The AHS would be open to all shareholders how ever that shareholding was held.

Its obviously up to the future members of AHS but the 4 of us can only see benefits.

Now get back to work, tea breaks can only stretch for sooooooo long :na na:

marinello59
18-06-2015, 10:48 AM

The major attraction with HSL for me is that fact that a single large group of fans will be speaking with one voice and hopefully with direct representation on the board when enough shares are purchased by then. Would there be anything to be gained by them joining another shareholders grouping?

Argylehibby
18-06-2015, 11:03 AM
I'd vote for (and join) the association on the basis there are 2 distinct groups of fan shareholders now, the "name on register" folk who bought direct including long standing shareholders and the HSL group. Anything that brings those groups together has to be in the shareholders and the clubs interests.

NAE NOOKIE
18-06-2015, 11:21 AM
Though I see little point at this stage of joining a shareholders association due to geography and having little left in the way of cash to input to Hibs related projects I would imagine that there is going to come a time when an association is vital.

With the ultimate aim being that the fans own 51% of the club there is going to have to be some way to bring everybody together in an organised way in order to formulate the fans approach to how the club will be run ...... its no good various shareholders standing up at AGMs with no idea of a united aim for the club or what other shareholders opinions are prior to the event.

As things stand just now I for one have no idea how the shareholding breaks down:

Independent shareholders ( like me )
Independent shareholders who also have a stake in HSL
People who only have a stake in HSL

If you take HSL as one shareholder, at this point how many shareholders do we have..... before the new issue I understand it was 1,700

Bostonhibby
18-06-2015, 12:49 PM
Lend me your ears :hug:

A few of the guys at Working Together thought, with all these new shares kicking about, it might be a good idea to resurrect the Hibernian Shareholders Association (HSA, but I’ll get back to that). But first of all we thought it might be a good idea to see what our on-line Shareholders and supporters thought about that.

There are 4 of us in the group.

Rod, who is a former office bearer with the old HSA. He has been in touch with the other office bearers and they’re delighted the Association may be reborn.

Then there’s Kevin, a supporter director candidate who already does lots for the club; Auld Eric, Orkney Hibs among other Hibs interests and finally me – many of you will already have an opinion on what I am!

The original objectives of the Association were;

The ‘continued existence of Hibernian Football Club’ was a very much in the minds of the Association in its heyday and it played an important role in saving our club during the Hands Off Hibs period.

We have already had exploratory talks with the club that have been very helpful. It has been suggested, among other things, that Association members could meet informally with directors and officials of the club in a Q&A session during the year.

We have had informal chats with HSL, who have indicated they would like to become members if this goes ahead.

It will be for the members of the Association to decide on everything including its representation and its activities; one that has been discussed has been fundraising actives for the benefit of the club, such as the very popular annual dinner they held in the dim and distant past.

There would be an annual subscription, suggested at £10 (was £5 in the early 1990s). This would allow the Association to provide membership cards and also stuff like mailings for those members not on-line.

If this goes ahead we feel it needs a new name. The initials 'HSA' are now well established with the Hibernian Supporters Association so as to avoid confusion it needs to change.

I liked the idea of something Hibernian I??? B??? Shareholders but I’m not bright enough to think of something catchy so in the meantime my 3 colleagues thought our working title should be the Association of Hibernian Shareholders, AHS (members of the Judean People's Front and the People's Front of Judea, :shhhsh!: I know what you're thinking :gun:).

Over to you folks, the floor is open.

What are your thoughts?

Firstly should an Association be reformed? If so ...

What should it be for, what should its ambitions be and all that sort of stuff.

Thank you.

Jack

I'm in favour Jack, if only so that when there are issues like those that arose with Hands on Hibs and other groups, when someone claims to speak for HSA or needs to speak for HSA then at least we know who they are and that they have a current mandate from those shareholders who want to have a body.

It's something that I don't see as needing to be very active when "normal" conditions apply but in the bad old days there was definitely a place for it - particularly for those who are not living nearby.

brog
18-06-2015, 12:56 PM
I'm an old shareholder who recently bought new shares & has also joined HSL. I agree in principle that a Shareholders' association is beneficial & I would join. My only suggestion would be to keep things just as simple & streamlined as possible.
Good Luck!

Bostonhibby
18-06-2015, 01:07 PM
I'm an old shareholder who recently bought new shares & has also joined HSL. I agree in principle that a Shareholders' association is beneficial & I would join. My only suggestion would be to keep things just as simple & streamlined as possible.
Good Luck!

Same position here.:aok:

lucky
18-06-2015, 01:28 PM
No sure what the purpose is? I'm a shareholder and in HSL but what would Hibs gain from HSA being reformed?

Islington Hibs
23-06-2015, 08:20 PM
As the founder of the original shareholders association back in 1991 I would be delighted if it was re-born. I'd sign up!

Times have changed and so would its role but we had a great time with it back then and I think in a small way helped keep us alive through the Mercer bid. We created a great community of Hi-bees and with a lot of members, good dinners, debates and ideas. Count me in. :greengrin

Gerard
23-06-2015, 10:05 PM
Good idea . i fully support the concept.