PDA

View Full Version : Hibernian goalies 2004-2012 (sorry)

KWJ
17-06-2015, 05:21 PM
Chat in the transfer thread got me wondering and seemed better to start a new thread than continue to hijack that one.

From the period between Andersson (with the other guy fae Coventry on the bench that was meant to be great Hyldgaard?) & Williams there's a fair few names of pain.

When Graham Stack or Andy McNeil is likely the best to have played a number of games then you know you're in trouble. Why couldn't we keep a hold of the monk Szmatouslki? Was Tony Caig around this time or earlier, not that he was any better.

Simon Brown - Unforgettable howler at Tynie when he had his arm up signalling it going wide in the Gaz/Deano game.
Zibbi the clown - too many to mention but that semi final would take the biscuit. Zemmama derby rings a bell too.
Ma-Kalambay – Poor Rob Jones & Chris Hogg.
Andy McNeil – Cup winner to lower tier in Scotland with Montrose, some switch.
Mark Brown – That final.
Graeme Smith – 6-6.
Graham Stack – Not a long term solution but liked by fans. Injury prone?

Who else is there that shouldn’t have been allowed between the sticks and where are they now?

Would happily take another Williams or even Oxley after remembering these guys.

Pretty Boy
17-06-2015, 05:36 PM
Always felt a bit sorry for Andy McNeil. He's a really decent lad, a good pro and was thrown in at the deep end a bit because of how badly the senior goalkeepers at the club were. I remember a game at Tynecastle were we conceded in the 1st 30 seconds and then McNeil made a total howler about 20 minutes later. Rob Jones went down in my estimation a bit when he gave him absolute pelters for it and it was Shelton Martis who went and pulled him to his feet. There was actually a (very) small ripple of applause from a section of Hibs fans as he was so clearly distraught.

I'd actually say similar about Makalambay. He wasn't great but it was a strange signing by Collins. After what had gone before we needed an experience keeper who was going to be a steady type with broad shoulders to stand up to the scrutiny. Instead we got an untried, inexperienced youngster without a 1st team game to his name. The script was written after he made a couple of poor mistakes against Gretna in the 2nd or 3rd game of the season.

Zibi was a strange one as there was a keeper in there somewhere, he made some great saves and was outstanding in the 1st 3-0 win at Ibrox and the unbeatable derby but the mistakes were too frequent and too high profile.

Stack was solid enough but injury prone. Mark Brown was a let down. Simon Brown and Graeme Smith were just utter pish.

Boyle89
17-06-2015, 06:42 PM
Always felt a bit sorry for Andy McNeil. He's a really decent lad, a good pro and was thrown in at the deep end a bit because of how badly the senior goalkeepers at the club were. I remember a game at Tynecastle were we conceded in the 1st 30 seconds and then McNeil made a total howler about 20 minutes later. Rob Jones went down in my estimation a bit when he gave him absolute pelters for it and it was Shelton Martis who went and pulled him to his feet. There was actually a (very) small ripple of applause from a section of Hibs fans as he was so clearly distraught.

I'd actually say similar about Makalambay. He wasn't great but it was a strange signing by Collins. After what had gone before we needed an experience keeper who was going to be a steady type with broad shoulders to stand up to the scrutiny. Instead we got an untried, inexperienced youngster without a 1st team game to his name. The script was written after he made a couple of poor mistakes against Gretna in the 2nd or 3rd game of the season.

Zibi was a strange one as there was a keeper in there somewhere, he made some great saves and was outstanding in the 1st 3-0 win at Ibrox and the unbeatable derby but the mistakes were too frequent and too high profile.

Stack was solid enough but injury prone. Mark Brown was a let down. Simon Brown and Graeme Smith were just utter pish.

Graeme smith... Couldn't believe we signed him. Couple seasons before we thrashed well 6-0 or something like that at fir park and sure we beat them 4-0 at ER. Terrible keeper.

HTD1875
17-06-2015, 07:08 PM

Felt sorry for Andy McNeil as well worked so hard on his game and in the gym but his height went against him aswell as the burden of being hibs no1 at such a young age due to previous disasters we had in the sticks.

I Remember Makalambay coming straight into that Brian Kerr derby and having an absolute stormer. After years of goalies that couldn't catch a cold he won everything that came into the box. Saved a penalty in the next game aswell I think. Concentration and positioning were terrible at times and he always played better without Jones. Was he in goals for the Casper derby 1-0 at Tynie? Back 4 of Van Zanten Thicot Murray and a young Hanlon but he stopped everything!

MWHIBBIES
17-06-2015, 08:16 PM
Graeme smith... Couldn't believe we signed him. Couple seasons before we thrashed well 6-0 or something like that at fir park and sure we beat them 4-0 at ER. Terrible keeper.He was a great keeper for Motherwell, one of the best in the league during his time there. Awful for us.

bigwheel
17-06-2015, 08:20 PM
He was a great keeper for Motherwell, one of the best in the league during his time there. Awful for us.

I'm not convinced he has even met a keeper!

Newhaven
17-06-2015, 08:28 PM
Most were under the guidance of the so called wonder coach Gordon Marshall. Many on here were unaware of the damage he was doing to our keepers and yet we persisted with bombscares like Zibi and makalamby when they should have ditched them.

The ****bos loved to play us then knowing another hibs keeper calamity was coming up.

FastEddieFelson
17-06-2015, 08:31 PM
Graeme smith... Couldn't believe we signed him. Couple seasons before we thrashed well 6-0 or something like that at fir park and sure we beat them 4-0 at ER. Terrible keeper.

His efforts for the goals we conceded against hearts the day we shared the south stand with them...Absolutely awful.

Future17
17-06-2015, 10:44 PM
He was a great keeper for Motherwell, one of the best in the league during his time there. Awful for us.

You're right. He went down south (Southend?) and had a bad time of it and was never the same after.

LaMotta
17-06-2015, 10:57 PM

I only remember Zibbys mistakes against Hearts. I'm convinced he was on Romanovs payroll his mistakes were that bonkers.

lord bunberry
18-06-2015, 12:24 AM
I'm not convinced he has even met a keeper!
His display in the 6-6 game must go down as the worst goalkeeping display I've ever seen and unfortunately I've seen a few.

Sean1875
18-06-2015, 02:37 AM
mentioned in the other thread but may as well say it again, Gregorz Szamotulski was in fairness a half decent keeper but think he's played for more clubs than I've had hot dinners

KeithTheHibby
18-06-2015, 06:26 AM
We will be seeing Andy McNeil at ER this season, signed for Alloa.

liamh2202
18-06-2015, 06:30 AM
Most were under the guidance of the so called wonder coach Gordon Marshall. Many on here were unaware of the damage he was doing to our keepers and yet we persisted with bombscares like Zibi and makalamby when they should have ditched them.

The ****bos loved to play us then knowing another hibs keeper calamity was coming up.

I agree things did go downhill when Ian westwater had to hang up his coaching gloves

The goalie
18-06-2015, 07:38 AM
I agree things did go downhill when Ian westwater had to hang up his coaching gloves

Not one of these goalies were brought in with input from the goalie coach, in fact the only one that was brought in by the goalie coach was Ben Williams.
should we not be asking why we have not produced our own goalie in decades? Indeed if you exclude Chris Reid who played a few games for the first team but never held the post for long who was the last goalie of note we produced?

Pretty Boy
18-06-2015, 07:42 AM
Not one of these goalies were brought in with input from the goalie coach, in fact the only one that was brought in by the goalie coach was Ben Williams.
should we not be asking why we have not produced our own goalie in decades? Indeed if you exclude Chris Reid who played a few games for the first team but never held the post for long who was the last goalie of note we produced?

Probably Stevie Woods. Although he didn't play for us he did come through our youth system and go on to play a lot of premier league games at Motherwell. Think he's goalkeeping coach at Celtic now.

As for the last keeper we produced who's actually made an impact in the 1st team at Hibs? No idea, don't think there has been one in my lifetime.

lyonhibs
18-06-2015, 07:48 AM
Simon Brown was the one that really got my goat. Fat, unprofessional and a bit of a gob*****. Also, ******g cack and never really looked like he cared, unlike Zibi, who, despite being a non-comedy of errors against the Jambos at least had the decency to look a bit upset when he chucked another one in the net.

Also, is Tony Caig too early to be included in this pantheon of **** ups?? One midweek performance in the fog/pissing rain during a 4-1 defeat to Dunfermline at home ranks as the worst performance I've seen from a Hibs keeper in the flesh ever.

The goalie
18-06-2015, 07:50 AM
Probably Stevie Woods. Although he didn't play for us he did come through our youth system and go on to play a lot of premier league games at Motherwell. Think he's goalkeeping coach at Celtic now.

As for the last keeper we produced who's actually made an impact in the 1st team at Hibs? No idea, don't think there has been one in my lifetime.

Probably most folks lifetimes :) even by accident we should have had one! You can think of most other teams and even the OF and they have all produced at least one and Hearts have had two in the last 10 years!

#FromTheCapital
18-06-2015, 08:00 AM
Simon Brown was the one that really got my goat. Fat, unprofessional and a bit of a gob*****. Also, ******g cack and never really looked like he cared, unlike Zibi, who, despite being a non-comedy of errors against the Jambos at least had the decency to look a bit upset when he chucked another one in the net.

Also, is Tony Caig too early to be included in this pantheon of **** ups?? One midweek performance in the fog/pissing rain during a 4-1 defeat to Dunfermline at home ranks as the worst performance I've seen from a Hibs keeper in the flesh ever.

Tony Caig was around 2002 iirc. He was worse than any of the aforementioned imo. How that guy managed to make a living from being a goalkeeper I'll never know. I remember going to an under 21's game at Easter road with Tony Caig between the sticks, he had an absolute howler. Seemed to take him forever to hit the ground when he dived, was like watching the matrix

lyonhibs
18-06-2015, 08:29 AM
Tony Caig was around 2002 iirc. He was worse than any of the aforementioned imo. How that guy managed to make a living from being a goalkeeper I'll never know. I remember going to an under 21's game at Easter road with Tony Caig between the sticks, he had an absolute howler. Seemed to take him forever to hit the ground when he dived, was like watching the matrix

:agree::agree:

Went down in stages, like he had had his hips and knees replaced by a surgeon who had used a mallet and jigsaw drill.

Did he not leave Hibs to a really cushty number like Newcastle's 3rd choice or something utterly absurd like that? :confused:

TRC
18-06-2015, 08:50 AM

I was at that Dunfi game was it not Brewster and Crawford that ripped us apart that night? Seem to remember

AngusHibby
18-06-2015, 09:09 AM
Graeme smith the worst of the lot. Just signed with Brechin City I think

#FromTheCapital
18-06-2015, 09:22 AM
:agree::agree:

Went down in stages, like he had had his hips and knees replaced by a surgeon who had used a mallet and jigsaw drill.

Did he not leave Hibs to a really cushty number like Newcastle's 3rd choice or something utterly absurd like that? :confused:

Yes, I seem to remember a hilarious quote from him on his departure to Newcastle. About how he was looking forward to playing champions league football! How did that work out for you tony?

dangermouse
18-06-2015, 09:23 AM

I remember that game (well the first half - got persuaded to go to the pub at half time) and IIRC Stevie Crawford was playing for us and missed a few one on ones that could have got us back into the game.

lyonhibs
18-06-2015, 10:33 AM
I remember that game (well the first half - got persuaded to go to the pub at half time) and IIRC Stevie Crawford was playing for us and missed a few one on ones that could have got us back into the game.

No, this was in the era when him and Brewster formed a fairly potent strike duo for The Pars. They tore us a new one, aided and abetted by a "charitable" performance from Caig. Mixu got our goal (I think.......)

Unseen work
18-06-2015, 06:23 PM
This list of goalies is why I don't get why so many dislike oxley.

Good young keeper who produced some very good saves, very good contribution as well. Not perfect but for the league we are in and out history he is good IMO.

bigwheel
18-06-2015, 06:40 PM
[QUOTE=Unseen work;4399137]This list of goalies is why I don't get why so many dislike oxley.

Good young keeper who produced some very good saves, very good contribution as well. Not perfect but for the league we are in and out history he is good IMO.[/

My simple reason for not wanting Oxley as our number one is that he doesn't save enough shots.....simple

stantonhibby
18-06-2015, 07:25 PM

Yes I remember that game, he was indeed murder. Gottskalkkson was another one. One performance he was described as being like a drunk man chasing a balloon.

JimBHibees
19-06-2015, 09:28 AM
His efforts for the goals we conceded against hearts the day we shared the south stand with them...Absolutely awful.

Yep the second one where he flapped it to Obua was a shocker.

As for Zibi it seemed a little strange and coincidental that almost all of his big mistakes were against Hearts, quite incredible number of errors against same team. The ones off the top of my head - semi final Hartley scores from the sideline, Zibi tries to dribble past forward. Game after that when Benji scored winner he flapped a ball to Bednar to equalise. 2-2 game when we were 2 up and everyone was saying this could be anything he comes 16 yards out for a cross and misses it, then lets a shot go under him to give them a point. 3-2 game where we played superbly including with 10 men when Shiels sent off he flapped a weak free kick out to concede. That is six goals in huge games for the club two of which we were miles the better but lost and drew. I think you really have to look at the possibility that this number of errors is a little bit more than coincidence IMO.

JimBHibees
19-06-2015, 09:30 AM
I only remember Zibbys mistakes against Hearts. I'm convinced he was on Romanovs payroll his mistakes were that bonkers.

Agree.

Holmesdale Hibs
19-06-2015, 01:04 PM
I thought Greame Stack was a decent keeper for us and pretty unlucky not to get a new contract. It worked out in the end because we got Williams but Stack was good enough without being brilliant. Think he was a bit injury prone.

McNeil was good when he first came in and won a cup with us, which makes him our most successful keeper since Budgie. Agree with all of the posts above about when he moved on. If he is back at ER this season I hope he gets a good reception, which I think he will. A Hibee that made it to our first team, worked as hard as he could to stay there and won a cup - fair play to him.

Zibi was the worst I can remember, with Brown and Caig not far behind. There are plenty of Zibi moments but the one I remember most was when I took a Megabus up to Inverness one boxing day and he kicked the ball straight to an Inverness player from a goalkick who took it in 1-on-1 and scored right on front of the Hibs fans. It was a brutal day, cold as **** and we got beat 2-0. The megabus hom wasn't much fun either and even now I struggle to see the funny side.

sbell1875
19-06-2015, 03:28 PM
Tony Caig for me was easily the worst. I mind a 3-0 defeat at Celtic Park where Hartson lobbed him. Caig must have been about 9 yards off his line when Hartson hit his shot from just outside the box.

Brown & Smith were also pretty diabolical in all honesty as well.

emerald green
19-06-2015, 06:23 PM
From Hibs having quality goalkeepers like Rough, Goram, and Leighton (all internationals) then going to absolute donkeys like of Gottskalsson ("Ole the goalie"), Simon Brown, Zibi (the clown) and some others. (Zibi's "performance" in that semi-final was like a Sunday pub league keeper. He always saved his worst clangers for games against the Yams).

What a dramatic drop in quality in such a vital position in the team. Mark Oxley was like Dino Zoff compared to those three.

GreenArmyyy!
19-06-2015, 07:14 PM
I'm not convinced he has even met a keeper!😂

givescotlandfreedom
19-06-2015, 08:56 PM
I thought Greame Stack was a decent keeper for us and pretty unlucky not to get a new contract. It worked out in the end because we got Williams but Stack was good enough without being brilliant. Think he was a bit injury prone.

McNeil was good when he first came in and won a cup with us, which makes him our most successful keeper since Budgie. Agree with all of the posts above about when he moved on. If he is back at ER this season I hope he gets a good reception, which I think he will. A Hibee that made it to our first team, worked as hard as he could to stay there and won a cup - fair play to him.

Zibi was the worst I can remember, with Brown and Caig not far behind. There are plenty of Zibi moments but the one I remember most was when I took a Megabus up to Inverness one boxing day and he kicked the ball straight to an Inverness player from a goalkick who took it in 1-on-1 and scored right on front of the Hibs fans. It was a brutal day, cold as **** and we got beat 2-0. The megabus hom wasn't much fun either and even now I struggle to see the funny side.

That was a shocker. Poor kaimendhibs had an even worse day skidding on black ice and writing his car off on the way home after dropping me off.

BH Hibs
20-06-2015, 07:55 PM
David Grof a legend in his own mind best known for pissing people off in clubs up and down the city. Think he had one game against Morton and came for a cross with his feet knocking us out the cup. Can't remember when Colgan played with us but he could be great one game and mince the next.

jacomo
20-06-2015, 10:58 PM
Felt sorry for Andy McNeil as well worked so hard on his game and in the gym but his height went against him aswell as the burden of being hibs no1 at such a young age due to previous disasters we had in the sticks.

I Remember Makalambay coming straight into that Brian Kerr derby and having an absolute stormer. After years of goalies that couldn't catch a cold he won everything that came into the box. Saved a penalty in the next game aswell I think. Concentration and positioning were terrible at times and he always played better without Jones. Was he in goals for the Casper derby 1-0 at Tynie? Back 4 of Van Zanten Thicot Murray and a young Hanlon but he stopped everything!

I loved big Maka. Expressed this view on the East terrace once and got widespread derision from those around me, but I won't hear a word against him. :greengrin:

Baader
21-06-2015, 12:07 AM
Mowbrays biggest flaw was he did not sign a decent keeper during his tenure at ER. Something that should have been sorted as was constantly the weak link in a very decent side. I still cannot forgive that clown Zibi for basically giving up in a semi final.

Sean1875
21-06-2015, 01:01 AM
I will never forgive Zibi. Romanovs puppet :agree:

eastterrace
21-06-2015, 12:35 PM
Mowbrays biggest flaw was he did not sign a decent keeper during his tenure at ER. Something that should have been sorted as was constantly the weak link in a very decent side. I still cannot forgive that clown Zibi for basically giving up in a semi final.

totally agree im with you on this , i will never forgive that clown for that performance in the semi against that mob.

21-06-2015, 10:00 PM
David Grof a legend in his own mind best known for pissing people off in clubs up and down the city. Think he had one game against Morton and came for a cross with his feet knocking us out the cup. Can't remember when Colgan played with us but he could be great one game and mince the next.

I know a couple of folk who came across Grof during his time at hibs and from the sounds of it he was a bit of an arse who gave it the whole "look at me i'm a big time footballer" act.

21-06-2015, 10:01 PM
I will never forgive Zibi. Romanovs puppet :agree:

Me neither, absolute clown who caused us countless humiliations especially against the tramps.