PDA

View Full Version : freekicks

liamh2202
16-06-2015, 02:31 PM
Watching hockey of all sports got me thinking . how effective would it be at speeding up play if the rules in football were changed so you could take a quick freekick to yourself? Its a bug bear of mine how teams stand in front of the ball to waste time and break up play and think it could be fixed if I player could dribble away quickly after a foul say within 5 yards of where the foul was committed. Is there any examples where a fundamental rule like that has been changed..

J-C
16-06-2015, 02:33 PM
Watching hockey of all sports got me thinking . how effective would it be at speeding up play if the rules in football were changed so you could take a quick freekick to yourself? Its a bug bear of mine how teams stand in front of the ball to waste time and break up play and think it could be fixed if I player could dribble away quickly after a foul say within 5 yards of where the foul was committed. Is there any examples where a fundamental rule like that has been changed..

Didn't think this was in the rules, pretty sure like a kick off another player has to touch the ball next.

liamh2202
16-06-2015, 02:36 PM
Didn't think this was in the rules, pretty sure like a kick off another player has to touch the ball next.

Read again mate ...

fatbloke
16-06-2015, 02:46 PM
Good idea alongside kick ins instead of throw ins and yellow cards in football being the same as rugby 10 minutes off - well mibby no the last one I am not sure about that.

J-C
16-06-2015, 02:47 PM
Read again mate ...

I did and it still looks like you are saying taking a freekick to yourself by dribbling away with the ball within 5 yds of he foul, this would mean changing the full ruling of the game when at a re start position. Yes we have a direct free kick but the rules state he cannot touch the ball directly after taking the free kick, you're suggesting changing the whole ruling.

Personally I'd like to see the team with the free kick take it quickly by kicking it against the opposition who are within the 10 yards, these players should then be booked and it taken again, they'll soon get the message

Smartie
16-06-2015, 03:04 PM
The last major change was probably the back pass rule. Lots of moaning at the time but it has undoubtedly improved the game as games were killed before through a series of tedious back passes.

They've faffed about with the offside rule on and off.

I'm not too unhappy with the rules as they stand at the moment. I understand why most of the rules are in place and accept that while there are some that seem daft (players having to leave the field if they've been attended to by the physio etc) the rules are there for a reason and don't seem to get in the way of good games happening.

I can't stand pundits who are employed to provide insight into the game who don't actually understand the rules. There are still ridiculous numbers of people who howl "last man" when the last man commits a foul as if it actually means something.

The rules are fine. Leave them be.

I'd like to see the rules enforced a bit differently though. If I were a referee I wouldn't want to keep my cards in my pocket - if it's a booking it's a booking and if it's a sending off then it's a sending off. If the game ends up about 7 a side then that's the fault of the players - not the referee. Referees are way too lenient.

Oh, and I'd clamp right down on all that pushing at corners and free-kicks. There would be about 12 penalties per game if I were refereeing too.

Players misbehave because they're allowed to.

Eyrie
16-06-2015, 06:46 PM
Instead of play being stopped and players having to leave the field after treatment, just let the physio go on the pitch treat the player whilst the game continues.

Scouse Hibee
16-06-2015, 07:36 PM
I would just like to see the rules applied consistantly all over the pitch:

Obstruct someone from getting the ball in the middle of the park by using your body and you concede a free kick.
Obstruct someone from getting the ball 10 yards from the byeline is called shielding the ball out and allowed by most referees.

Throw your arms around your opponent in the middle of the park and stop them getting to the ball and you concede a free kick and possibly get booked.
Throw your arms around your opponent in the penalty area and stop them getting to the ball when defending a corner and you will more than likely go unpunished.

There are other examples too.

KWJ
16-06-2015, 07:47 PM
I would just like to see the rules applied consistantly all over the pitch:

Obstruct someone from getting the ball in the middle of the park by using your body and you concede a free kick.
Obstruct someone from getting the ball 10 yards from the byeline is called shielding the ball out and allowed by most referees.

Throw your arms around your opponent in the middle of the park and stop them getting to the ball and you concede a free kick and possibly get booked.
Throw your arms around your opponent in the penalty area and stop them getting to the ball when defending a corner and you will more than likely go unpunished.

There are other examples too.

One of these that always gets me is a foul being made after a player has taken a shot inside the box. It seems to depend on how good the shot is when that should only be the case if it's a goal. How often do you see a player fire the ball over the bar but just after he's hit it a defender crunches into him and then it's a goal kick.

Peevemor
16-06-2015, 10:39 PM
One of these that always gets me is a foul being made after a player has taken a shot inside the box. It seems to depend on how good the shot is when that should only be the case if it's a goal. How often do you see a player fire the ball over the bar but just after he's hit it a defender crunches into him and then it's a goal kick.

I agree with that as well as Scouse's points.

I would add shirt tugging to the list too. It's a premeditated act that goes unpunished nearly all of the time.

The_Sauz
16-06-2015, 11:05 PM
I think all the teams should get to try the Old Firm rules for a season and see if it improves our game :agree:

Mixu62
17-06-2015, 12:55 AM
Or....and I don't know how hard this would be to enforce...you only get to defend against the free kick with the number of players who were behind the ball when it was committed. So, striker through on goal, 1 defender and the keeper ahead, gets scythed down from behind at the edge of the box. Defending team must only have 1 defender and the goalie in defence at the re-start.

The Leith Dutch
17-06-2015, 06:14 AM
Quite a few of the egg chasers rules are pretty decent -

Only the captain can approach the referee.

Clock stops when the ball isn't in play rather than the slightly to majorly arbitrary injury time.

Play a longer advantage - say up to 10 seconds - and still pull it back if there isn't an advantage.
Do it with the arm raised as an indication and you should encourage ambitious attacking passes.

Sin binning - penalises the team committing the foul against the team it committed it.

Also, useful for when you need to eradicate certain behaviour.
Take one of my least favourites: running away with the ball after conceding a foul to allow your defence to organise.
Make it an automatic 10 minute sin bin if you touch the ball after the referee gives a foul against you.

There's the worry that teams on fewer than 11 men will go defensive but in the case above it should have the desired effect of allowing the other team to get on with the game quickly. You could maybe extend it to standing in the way within 10 yards.

Course I might be wrong about all of the above and just ruin the game :)

ruthven_raiders
17-06-2015, 07:19 AM
Quite a few of the egg chasers rules are pretty decent -

Only the captain can approach the referee.

Clock stops when the ball isn't in play rather than the slightly to majorly arbitrary injury time.

Play a longer advantage - say up to 10 seconds - and still pull it back if there isn't an advantage.
Do it with the arm raised as an indication and you should encourage ambitious attacking passes.

Sin binning - penalises the team committing the foul against the team it committed it.

Also, useful for when you need to eradicate certain behaviour.
Take one of my least favourites: running away with the ball after conceding a foul to allow your defence to organise.
Make it an automatic 10 minute sin bin if you touch the ball after the referee gives a foul against you.

There's the worry that teams on fewer than 11 men will go defensive but in the case above it should have the desired effect of allowing the other team to get on with the game quickly. You could maybe extend it to standing in the way within 10 yards.

Course I might be wrong about all of the above and just ruin the game :)

Gabrielle Morcotti advocates real time football, stop clocks and all games 60mins, the average time the ball is in play varies between 57 to 63mins, stops all the time wasting

Newry Hibs
17-06-2015, 08:01 AM
Stopping play for substitutions. Especially at the end of a match when it is purely time wasting. Though I suppose there will be an increase in 'hurt' players coming off.

Move the ball 10 yards on for arsing about to delay free kicks.

Brightside
17-06-2015, 08:05 AM
Good idea alongside kick ins instead of throw ins and yellow cards in football being the same as rugby 10 minutes off - well mibby no the last one I am not sure about that.

Hopefully kick ins will never become a thing. SFA have ruined Youth Football by enforcing kick-ins for under10s. Teams just punt the ball into the box. A throw in is an art and should be taught from a young age.

ruthven_raiders
17-06-2015, 08:07 AM
Stopping play for substitutions. Especially at the end of a match when it is purely time wasting. Though I suppose there will be an increase in 'hurt' players coming off.

Move the ball 10 yards on for arsing about to delay free kicks.

In ice hockey do they not replace players while play is going on?

lyonhibs
17-06-2015, 08:15 AM
In ice hockey do they not replace players while play is going on?

They do, on a far smaller playing surface and with everyone skiting about at 100 mph on ice skates.

Consistency of the rules being applied is my biggest bugbear.

Also, if a player has been fouled and has a visible injury (like a decent one, not a cracked nail) and it's immediately brought to the attention of the ref, it's a free kick (at least) even if the ref didn't initially give it.

On Monday I was playing in an 11's game and one of our players got snapped, had to go off and the result was a mere throw in to the other team. 20 minutes later he still had a visible 5 inch stud mark down his shin and brought this to the ref's attention very vocally (he is Italian after all) at the time.

How was a tackle that left a muckle big stud mark on a guy's shin possibly not a foul??? :confused:

BonnieFitbaTeam
17-06-2015, 08:39 AM
When someone gets brought down, if they roll over any more than one full rotation they should be shot........ok then, booked.

heretoday
17-06-2015, 09:30 AM
I'd be happy if, instead of teams going for power and inevitably scooping the ball over the bar or hitting the wall, they worked out some nifty moves in and around the box at these free kicks.

I'm sure I can remember the likes of Alex Edwards doing quick one-twos on the edge of the box and catching the defence on the hop.

nellio
17-06-2015, 09:48 AM
Like lyonhibs says consistency is the issue.

Im sure some of those rules are already implemented. The ref can move the ball forward from a free kick if he wants. Im sure that was introduced at some point. Also the point about advantage. How long its played for. I was watching Cardiff against Sunderland in 2014 and the ref played advantage let the sunderland player shoot at goal (he missed) then pulled the play back and sent off the Cardiff player and given them a pen. Nevr see advantage played like that before or since. Surley if the advantage is played and the player takes the shot the advatage is over and play continues? If thats not the rule and ref was correct to bring it back then why doesnt that happen every time there is a foul?

COnsistency or lack of is the issue