PDA

View Full Version : Hibs and English Clubs

vercol36
16-06-2015, 11:50 AM
I've been living abroad for a wee while now and been neglecting English football for as long as possible. It seems that every single person outside of Scotland supports either Arsenal, Man U, Chelsea or Liverpool. However, with a new season coming up in the next couple of months, I've decided to give it a bash: my question is, are there any English teams that Hibs have/have had a friendly connection with? I'd be more interested in Championship clubs, to be honest, but if it needs to be Premiership then ideally not one of the aforementioned teams!

CB_NO3
16-06-2015, 12:19 PM
I have lost interest in English football tbh. I even cancelled Sky Sports yesterday. The money is crazy and is making a mess of football IMO, so I don't want to be part of it. Teams like Burnley and Hull having bigger wage bills than Ajax and the likes is making a mock of football.

I really hope Sky go bust although I can't see it happening. I hope BT winning all Champions League and Europa League rights gives Sky a fright.

P.S. sorry for going slightly off topic 😃

nellio
16-06-2015, 12:21 PM
Im from South wales originally so i'm a Cardiff City fan. Had a season ticket until I moved here and now have a season ticket at ER.

You're right about Liverpool, Man U etc. Back home in south Wales it was all Liverpool/Man U/Arsenal etc. There's even a liverpool supporters shop in Newport!! When I was In scholl everyone supported Man U etc. I clearly rmemeber one lad making fun of me for wearing my Cardiff shirt to school dress down whilst dressed in his Liverpool kit. Cardiff were in the bottom division at the time but I saw him about 10 years later at the FA cup final in a Cardiff kit!!! How times have changed!!

Moulin Yarns
16-06-2015, 12:26 PM
Those of a certain vintage will remember ourepic games against Leeds Utd.

Craig_HFC
16-06-2015, 12:30 PM
Our current manager has a very strong connection to Everton.

They're a great club.

Lago
16-06-2015, 12:31 PM
I've been living abroad for a wee while now and been neglecting English football for as long as possible. It seems that every single person outside of Scotland supports either Arsenal, Man U, Chelsea or Liverpool. However, with a new season coming up in the next couple of months, I've decided to give it a bash: my question is, are there any English teams that Hibs have/have had a friendly connection with? I'd be more interested in Championship clubs, to be honest, but if it needs to be Premiership then ideally not one of the aforementioned teams!
You would be supprised at how many in Scotland now support English teams, all about media hype and glory hunting I'm afraid.

heretoday
16-06-2015, 12:33 PM
We seem to have had several players in common with Everton - Joe Harper anyone? - and there must be some links through Stubbs in this present era.

Can't think of any others. You could look at English clubs who have had former glories and are now languishing a bit. Wolves, West Ham, Forest, Leeds, Blackburn.....but you might have to go down a division or two.

Billychaotic182
16-06-2015, 12:40 PM
Spurs are my English team

Geo_1875
16-06-2015, 12:43 PM
Follow West Ham and hate Millwall.

easty
16-06-2015, 12:43 PM
You would be supprised at how many in Scotland now support English teams, all about media hype and glory hunting I'm afraid.

Maybe it is a bit, but given how easy it is to follow English football (MOTD is a good show, a billion times better than our equivalent) in the modern age, and given the quality of the players on show down there, I find it difficult to argue with someone if they were to support an English team instead of a Scottish one.

I used to quite like Liverpool when I was about 13/14 (funnily enough, now I cant stand them), but I've never really supported any English team.

If you don't have any kind of an emotional connection to your local team, why not support just any old team that might win something, that plays good football, and has quality players?

iwasthere1972
16-06-2015, 12:52 PM
I like Liverpool and I like Everton.

If they win then fine.

If they lose then fine.

Support Hibs and Scotland and that's it.

Can't see why anybody has to support an English team if they don't have any connection to them. Hate seeing old guys in the pub with Man City or Chelsea strips on pretending to be supporters when they are clearly Scottish and are just glory hunters big time. Dafties.

LancashireHibby
16-06-2015, 12:54 PM
If you don't have any kind of an emotional connection to your local team, why not support just any old team that might win something, that plays good football, and has quality players?
I support my local team in Bolton Wanderers, but 'chose' to support Hibs. Fair to say I'm happier with my choice than if I'd chosen either of the ugly sisters. Endured more than my fair share of relegations though.

CallumLaidlaw
16-06-2015, 01:05 PM
Hibs are my number 1 by FAR! I lived down south for 13 years and my best friend is an Everton fan, so have kinda adopted them. Watch their games on tv and try to get down to 1 game a season. Also keep an eye out for Crewe Alex results as thats where I lived.

Lago
16-06-2015, 01:19 PM
Maybe it is a bit, but given how easy it is to follow English football (MOTD is a good show, a billion times better than our equivalent) in the modern age, and given the quality of the players on show down there, I find it difficult to argue with someone if they were to support an English team instead of a Scottish one.

I used to quite like Liverpool when I was about 13/14 (funnily enough, now I cant stand them), but I've never really supported any English team.

Yip agree, good points.

heretoday
16-06-2015, 01:40 PM
My pal in London watches Spurs. He slags off Poch every week for poor tactics and subs and yet they still qualified for Europe.

vercol36
16-06-2015, 01:45 PM
Thanks for your suggestions folks...after some half-hearted, lunch-break research, I'm being strangely drawn towards Preston North End...

Haymaker
16-06-2015, 02:00 PM
I follow West Ham and have a soft spot for Southampton (having lived there and my God son is a fan).

But Hibs are the only team that can make my weekend and also ruin it!

Hibs and The Patriots of course :greengrin

heretoday
16-06-2015, 02:12 PM
Thanks for your suggestions folks...after some half-hearted, lunch-break research, I'm being strangely drawn towards Preston North End...

Well their fans are long-suffering obsessives so it shouldn't be too much of a culture shock!

CockneyRebel
16-06-2015, 02:14 PM

If that were true all the other grounds would be empty. There are a lot of glory hunters (especially amongst show biz types) but still many well supported clubs in all parts of the country. You strangely don't mention the OF followers getting buses from everywhere to Glasgow so it's not an English problem, it's fairly universal.
I have worked all over the UK and I know many people (in England, Scotland and Wales) who support a (smallish) local team and also have a second team so that they can have an interest in cup finals etc. which they don't get from their local side. I always support the local side and have attended many home games at Bristol City, Newcastle, Morton and Cardiff while I worked in those places. My late dad was a Millwall supporter but never went to matches as he worked all hours supporting a large family (nine kids) and so I never got taken to games. When I decided to support a team I went with Palace (I had a choice of Palace, Charlton or Millwall who were equidistant from my house) as they played better football at the time. When I came to Edinburgh over 33 years ago I became an ST holder at Easter Road as from all the Scottish football I had seen on tv they were the best to watch - they still had Stanton, Brownlie, Blackley, Schaedler, Cropley etc at that time so I got a bit spoilt. So, I am still an Eagle yet I wear my Hibs top on holiday because that's where I go on a Saturday (it used to be always Saturdays). I call myself a Hibby and I tell all my Jambo colleagues and acquaintances that I support Hibs because I'm a gloryhunter - which gets right on their thrupenny bits. I've seen some great times and games at ER and had many downers too and I'll keep going back. I'm an Eagle and a Hibby and if that upsets anyone - tough sh*t. I am what I am.

Mikey09
16-06-2015, 02:15 PM

PNE are playing the charity thieves pre season... Sorry, "The Famous"... :greengrin

MKHIBEE
16-06-2015, 02:20 PM
I support my local team in Bolton Wanderers, but 'chose' to support Hibs. Fair to say I'm happier with my choice than if I'd chosen either of the ugly sisters. Endured more than my fair share of relegations though.

i used to be regular at Burnden Park in the late 70's early 80's but now follow Lincoln City who I started watching with my lads about 15 years ago when my ex wife moved to Newark after our divorce.

Future17
16-06-2015, 02:22 PM

There's a few Hibs connections with PNE - not least that we defeated them to become champions of the world in the 19th century. :greengrin

Brightside
16-06-2015, 02:22 PM
Chelsea have been my English team since I was 5. Roma are my Italian team.

Bostonhibby
16-06-2015, 02:29 PM
Like one of the other posters I ditched Sky - I attend Boston Utd and Lincoln City occasionally for a fraction of the cost of Sky every month - the lack of diving and shirt pulling etc in the penalty box is remarkable - its like watching a football match.

No interest in the premiership except that I have two old Chelsea supporting mates who come to Hibs games some times with me so I have no problem seeing them do well. My English team tends to be Forest for the same reason plus I seen quite a lot of them when they were really good and I lived in Leicester so the travel was worth it.

Bostonhibby
16-06-2015, 02:30 PM
PNE are playing the charity thieves pre season... Sorry, "The Famous"... :greengrin

Always wondered - are they more famous than Preston who I think once played for the Championship of the world, or something like that - no idea who the opposition was though?

dangermouse
16-06-2015, 02:30 PM
Having only been able to watch the occasional European game on TV back in the day, this glory hunter settled on (and stuck with) Nottingham Forest. I've been down to the City Ground for a few games.

If I watch match of the day, then Arsenal play nice football.

StevieC
16-06-2015, 02:33 PM
Always Hibs first and foremost .. but ..

I also support Newcastle United .. so I think that excludes me from any "glory-hunting" accusations. :greengrin

My other team got to the Europa Cup final this year :wink:

NAE NOOKIE
16-06-2015, 02:38 PM

I bloody well don't ..... bunch of glory hunting assholes the lot of them and every bit as bad as the ugly sisters hangers on.

Having said that I don't have a problem with folk who have a soft spot for an English team and look for their results or even go to see them from time to time.

Scouse Hibee
16-06-2015, 02:43 PM
I have a slight liking for Liverpool as my English team, I don't know why, I just have. Used to watch Colwyn Bay whenever in North Wales and quite enjoyed it. Some of my best football entertainment comes from Gyle Park at the weekend, you can't beat strolling over and watching random games.

Caversham Green
16-06-2015, 02:44 PM
Reading seem to have a lot in common with Hibs besides having me as a supporter.

Players include Grant Brebner (scored the first ever goal at the MadStad), Ulises De La Cruz, Tony Rougier, Michael O'Neill and I believe Matt Busby played for both clubs during the war years - I'm sure there are others.

Besides that, Reading were very nearly 'merged' with their local rivals who were owned by a smug, fat piece of s**t who has since expired and were eventually rescued by a local businessman (now knighted) who made his fortune in a motor-related trade - AutoTrader in Madejski's case.

I'm a Reading STH and never get to Hibs games now, but when Reading lose I'm a bit disappointed - when Hibs lose I'm still gutted. At least Hibs didn't appoint Steve Clarke as their manager.

James70
16-06-2015, 03:00 PM
I have always had Man Utd as my English club as I lived a short train /bus ride from the ground in my school days when it cost the princely sum of 1/6d or 7.5p to get into games. Although they remain my favourite English side I must admit to a soft spot for Arsenal these days in view of some of the attractive football they play. Like others though I find it obscene how the game has been taken over by big money down south and I hate how tiny English 4th tier or even Conference sides can lure decent SPL players away from Scotland.

Green Fish
16-06-2015, 03:00 PM
Each to their own but dont get this English or Italian team. English football on the tv and I'm sleeping within ten minutes. Only hibs for me, roll on the new season, am so bored!

Mikey09
16-06-2015, 03:16 PM
Always wondered - are they more famous than Preston who I think once played for the Championship of the world, or something like that - no idea who the opposition was though?

How can any team be more Famous than "The Famous?" Don't be stupid... The Famous are the most Famous team of all the Famous teams and clubs. I play football on a Monday night and there is one yam, out of many who play, who has "The Famous - 1-5" on the back of his yam shirt. BTW we are all over 40!! :faf:

CockneyRebel
16-06-2015, 03:34 PM
How can any team be more Famous than "The Famous?" Don't be stupid... The Famous are the most Famous team of all the Famous teams and clubs. I play football on a Monday night and there is one yam, out of many who play, who has "The Famous - 1-5" on the back of his yam shirt. BTW we are all over 40!! :faf:

You should get your own shirt with "the even more famous - 0 7" on it.

FranckSuzy
16-06-2015, 03:35 PM
A good friend is Middlesborough daft so always keep a look out for their results. Went to a home game with him a while back, when they beat Liverpool 2-0, much to everyone's surprise :greengrin

He met AS after the The Rangers game and expressed his sympathy, after Boro lost their play-off games. Said AS looked gutted, mind this was in Pizza Express so that could have been a factor :tee hee:

Matty_Jack04
16-06-2015, 03:43 PM
All my friends have English teams some have completely given up on their Scottish teams and only talk about the EPL, I've never really managed to 'lock' an English team in just don't have the same connection or interest I do watch it on TV and I normally pick a team each season depending on what happens during the summer if there's a club that grabs my attention last year was Spurs after getting pochitino as manager, this coming season I'm leaning towards Brentford as this money ball thing there doing has my interest (just signed a German 3rd div player and a player released by morecambe based on stats..both mid 20s)

Nameless
16-06-2015, 03:58 PM
I don't "support" anyone else, but Everton are my English team.

Back to the op's original question - was there not a brief friendship between hibs and oldham in the late 80's?

basehibby
16-06-2015, 04:16 PM

Hibs and Spurs used to play each other every year for about 10 yrs in the 50s - there were some epic battles in there as well.

Ringothedog
16-06-2015, 04:44 PM
QPR for me

winnipeg jets
16-06-2015, 04:51 PM
Been an Arsenal fan for years mainly because of the great Joe Baker. They play football the way it should be played but they can be bloody frustrating at times.

Pretty Boy
16-06-2015, 05:00 PM
I 'supported' Man Utd as a kid and that carried over into my younger adult years.

In recent years I've been converted to Newcastle by a few mates. Great fans, great city, great stadium and if Hibs aren't playing getting to a game is doable with regards travel from Edinburgh, getting a ticket and affordability. I don't support Newcastle and rarely watch English football but I do try and take in 2 or 3 games a season and it's the one result I look out for.

DTS
16-06-2015, 05:06 PM
Hibs are number one by far but I do support Liverpool as well and it's more than just a keep an eye out for the results I get just as annoyed when Liverpool lose as I do hibs. On English football I watch match of the day every weekend and really enjoy watching mostly any game on sky or bt guess I'm just a bit football daft

Liams
16-06-2015, 05:14 PM
Swansea fan myself, i dont know why, sorta always seemed to like them for over ten years (none of my family support the same english club too). Always do a £5 double on hibs & swansea.

I did briefly like liverpool too due to them having the same two sponsers as hibs but i hate the colour red soo:rolleyes:

PSM1875
16-06-2015, 05:30 PM

No no ! Blackburn Rovers also formed 1875. Both wear famous blue / green & white shirts and both clubs have suffered glorious failure by and large in modern times !

ekhibee
16-06-2015, 06:04 PM
I don't know if you could really call it a 'friendly connection', but I'm sure I read somewhere that Hibs ended up copying the Arsenal strip, mainly due to a Scotsman that was involved with both clubs, but I don't know if that's true or not. I'll always be a Hibs fan, but as a previous poster has already said, this Arsenal team play the best football in the EPL in my opinion.

Colr
16-06-2015, 06:11 PM

Tottenham

Brooster
16-06-2015, 06:22 PM
Hibs first and foremost but if we dont have a Saturday game I go to Sunderland or Newcastle with pals, my Dad and two sons...one likes Newcastle and the other likes Sunderland. Its a good day out, under an hour in the train and surprisingly cheap to get in. For example it was a fiver for the boys to get in to Newcastle v Villa. I was also at Stoke v Liverpool last game of season, the atmosphere was electric....all local folk supporting their team to the hilt.

HUTCHYHIBBY
16-06-2015, 07:18 PM
The Hammers for me, not looking forward to the OS move at all.

SouthMoroccoStu
16-06-2015, 07:29 PM
Ramsgate United

Mon the Rams

Stranraer
16-06-2015, 07:46 PM

I took my Rochdale supporting friend to watch Hibs beat Dunfermline 4-0 at Easter Road and his ticket won the raffle for a ticket to that Scottish Cup Final in 2012. In return, he invited me to Rochdale Cheltenham. If the Dale won they would go up and they scored 2 early goals. Afterwards we invaded the pitch and folk were coming up to me in my Hibs jacket saying I was welcome any time and that I had brought them good luck. The mascot arranged an announcement over the speakers and I got to the player of the year awards and met Rhys Bennett. He scored against us and we had a bit of a laugh, everyone was taken on with the Scottish accent.

So there you go, Rochdale AFC. A brilliant little club. Can't be doing with millionaire PL clubs.

Adniston Burn
16-06-2015, 08:05 PM
Been Hibs daft since my first game in 1967 and I used to like Man U from the days of Best, Law and Charlton. Then I met a Burnley lass (now my wife) in 2003 and have gone down to the Turf 3 to 4 times every season since to see the Mighty Clarets. The thing I like most about the town is that although you might see the odd Man U or Liverpool shirt being worn, the vast majority of the people are solidly behind the team.

Carheenlea
16-06-2015, 08:06 PM
I genuinely have no idea who won the English League or FA Cup this season. I do know that QPR got relegated as one of my mates supports them.
A couple of my mates take their kids down to see Newcastle United once a season, and I joined them on one occasion. I was surprised how many Newcastle fans were on the train at Waverley - it was like a supporters train. I enjoyed the day out, and have seen a few English games in the past, but don`t have enough interest in it to follow any particular team.

Jonnyboy
16-06-2015, 08:13 PM
Hibs are and always will be the club that I support but I do take an interest in other teams for a variety of reasons. Tranmere Rovers, Shrewsbury Town, Sunderland, Barcelona, FC Twente and the list goes on :greengrin

mca
16-06-2015, 08:41 PM
I'm Hibs 100% .. My other teams are Sheff Wed and Cadiz.. Don't call me a Glory Hunter.. :wink:

anon1875
16-06-2015, 08:55 PM
the hibs are the only team for me

Onceinawhile
16-06-2015, 09:07 PM
I liked Coventry when I was younger, mostly because when Strachan was manager we seemed to play them every year.

I also liked fiorentina because of Gabriel Batistuta who was, is and always will be, the greatest footballer of all time.

Now I watch mind. But I couldn't care less about any individual English teams.

LancashireHibby
16-06-2015, 09:19 PM
I took my Rochdale supporting friend to watch Hibs beat Dunfermline 4-0 at Easter Road and his ticket won the raffle for a ticket to that Scottish Cup Final in 2012. In return, he invited me to Rochdale Cheltenham. If the Dale won they would go up and they scored 2 early goals. Afterwards we invaded the pitch and folk were coming up to me in my Hibs jacket saying I was welcome any time and that I had brought them good luck. The mascot arranged an announcement over the speakers and I got to the player of the year awards and met Rhys Bennett. He scored against us and we had a bit of a laugh, everyone was taken on with the Scottish accent.

So there you go, Rochdale AFC. A brilliant little club. Can't be doing with millionaire PL clubs.
You forgot to mention how good the pies are at Spotland! I go along there occasionally when they have rearranged midweek games etc. Only £15 to stand behind the goal, even in League One, and despite being nearly 15 miles further away I get home sooner than I do from 7 miles away at Bolton!

HH81
16-06-2015, 09:28 PM
Rochdale is fine as long as you just go straight to the game and stay away from the town centre. :-)

I shall be at Spotland in a couple of months but not for football.

Stax
16-06-2015, 11:08 PM
I don't "support" anyone else, but Everton are my English team.

Back to the op's original question - was there not a brief friendship between hibs and oldham in the late 80's?
There was but I think it was more to do with supporters of both clubs who preferred casual attire :greengrin I suppose I still have a soft spot for Liverpool, probably because of the Scottish contingent that played for them back in the day.

Dav1986
16-06-2015, 11:50 PM
Workington reds is a team I look our for as the in laws stay down that way. Been to couple of games there. 2 more notable ones being fa cup fourth qualifying round against Mansfield and their game against fc United of Manchester recently. Fc United Manchester won the league the midweek before otherwise that would have been a title decider. Some crowd that day though. Great seeing people supporting their local team like that rather than the bigger teams

Jack Hackett
17-06-2015, 05:16 AM
Those of a certain vintage will remember ourepic games against Leeds Utd.

:aok:

It's actually quite a shock when the penny drops, that you are 'a certain age'

Flanny boy
17-06-2015, 05:34 AM
Like one of the other posters I ditched Sky - I attend Boston Utd and Lincoln City occasionally for a fraction of the cost of Sky every month - the lack of diving and shirt pulling etc in the penalty box is remarkable - its like watching a football match.

No interest in the premiership except that I have two old Chelsea supporting mates who come to Hibs games some times with me so I have no problem seeing them do well. My English team tends to be Forest for the same reason plus I seen quite a lot of them when they were really good and I lived in Leicester so the travel was worth it.
I watch quite a few afc fylde games at home (same league as Boston ) as you say cheap enough to get in and it's a decent standard.looking forward to next season

Ray_
17-06-2015, 06:14 AM
I always liked Man Utd, but it was far more to do with a certain Mr George Best rather than any glory hunting. Outside Hibs and the usual Pat Stanton, Peter Cormack, Peter Marinello etc [did I mention Pat Stanton, my absolute hero], George Best was the Messi of his day, an absolute dream of a player. The Man U crush wasn't helped when "The Doc" moved in to Old Trafford and brought a shed load of Scottish talent with him.

I then moved to Reddish, just outside of Manchester and two days later I'm being introduced to my new boss [Jim], who's brother played for Man Utd, with our love of football, we got on great from the beginning and he used to take me on a regular basis to Old Trafford, where we got in free, via the players entrance.

As far as the glory hunting part of it, Hibs were a far better team, my mate Jim was raving about us when he saw us destroy the then invincible Leeds at Elland Road, and in true Hibs fashion, not score. The fact was the year I moved down South, while Hibs were playing regularly at Hampden [and occasionally winning], man U were relegated. "The Doc then built an exciting young side and seven years after I first took an interest in George Best and United, they won the FA Cup, it took until the Nineties and Fergie before they actually won the "big" league [after winning the second division in 1975].

Cabbage East
17-06-2015, 06:57 AM
I support Hibs and Hibs only. Never understood the need for Scottish people to 'support' an English club too. Where do you draw the line, do all these people have German, Italian, Welsh, French teams too?

Keith_M
17-06-2015, 07:00 AM
I don't have an English Team but I usually pick a local team to give me a Football Fix wherever I happen to be living at the time.

Currently, as I'm in Munich, it's 1860, as I just can't be arsed with the people that jump on the Bayern bandwagon.

When I was in Vienna, I would watch Rapid, as the stadium was only 15 minutes from my house. They had the added advantage of playing in green. I also went to watch their rivals, Austria Vienna, who played in Hibs' proper change colour of Purple ;-)

HUTCHYHIBBY
17-06-2015, 07:59 AM
I support Hibs and Hibs only. Never understood the need for Scottish people to 'support' an English club too. Where do you draw the line, do all these people have German, Italian, Welsh, French teams too?

Theres nae great need for you to bother too much about what others get up to in their spare time.

Newry Hibs
17-06-2015, 08:04 AM
Could try Luton Town (unless location is an issue). Hibs connection is Mickey Weir and Dave Beaumont.

Cabbage East
17-06-2015, 09:24 AM
Theres nae great need for you to bother too much about what others get up to in their spare time.

Not sure you really understand how messageboards work mate.

HUTCHYHIBBY
17-06-2015, 11:40 AM
Not sure you really understand how messageboards work mate.

Aye, you could be right I suppose.

AndyM_1875
17-06-2015, 12:51 PM
Got a modest liking for Spurs (watched them when I worked in London) but week to week I really don't keep up with them too much. I'll watch Match of the Day but I honestly don't care who wins or loses. If I move down there again with work I'll seek my football at lower league level (probably Conference or Non League) as it's more fun and I certainly would not pay £60 to watch a Premiership game.

The only team I support is Hibs.

scousehibby
17-06-2015, 01:06 PM
Liverpool is my English team and Hibs my Scottish team. I do look out for several others that I have a soft spot for.

Green Man
17-06-2015, 01:13 PM
No no ! Blackburn Rovers also formed 1875. Both wear famous blue / green & white shirts and both clubs have suffered glorious failure by and large in modern times !

I adopted Blackburn after a friendly at ER, just after Shearer signed. Hibs won 3-0 that night but something attracted me to Blackburn - it was great at first when they won the league, but it's been pretty grim since. Definite parallels between Blackburn and Hibs.

sauzeelegod
17-06-2015, 03:06 PM
Hibs are my number 1 but always liked Liverpool since I was wee cos they had a lot of Scottish players

emerald green
17-06-2015, 06:37 PM
I've never "supported" any other team than Hibs. But down through the years I've admired a few different English clubs, which has changed as the seasons and different eras passed.

I loved watching the Manchester United team under Matt Busby which contained those three all time greats - Best, Law, and Charlton. Especially the flawed genius that was George Best.

Later, I admired the great Liverpool teams of the late 70s/early 80s - winning so many titles and trophies including 4 European Cups during that period.

The great European nights had a really special atmosphere at Anfield in that period. The crowd swaying in the Kop was a sight to see. Liverpool's European record still is phenomenal. Players like Dalglish, Case, Toshack, Souness, Kennedy and Rush to name just a few.

In more recent times I like the way Arsenal play football under Arsene Wenger.

So, that's me, a classic glory hunter - Man Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal. :wink:

celthedd1
17-06-2015, 07:07 PM
QUOTEDont you mean Wolves who played Honved?I have an interest in 4 clubs and couldent care less what folk think
Bangor City,Wrexham,Leeds United and Hibernian

Holmesdale Hibs
17-06-2015, 07:11 PM

I can't think of any teams we've had a connection with in my lifetime of 35 years.

I know what you mean about alot of folk with no connections to the EPL supporting the top teams and struggle to believe they get any genuine pleasure from them winning. It's just not how supporting a team works.

I've been following Crystal Palace for a few years now and started when I moved to the area. They'll always be second to Hibs but I still consider myself a supporter and make it along to around 7-8 games per year. Most things are better than Hibs, the most noticeable being the standard of football and the atmosphere on match day. Still, having grown up following Hibs, Palace will always be my second team.

Bostonhibby
17-06-2015, 08:40 PM
QUOTEDont you mean Wolves who played Honved?I have an interest in 4 clubs and couldent care less what folk think
Bangor City,Wrexham,Leeds United and Hibernian

No, Preston played in the World Association football final and lost.

SteveHFC
17-06-2015, 08:43 PM
Got plenty of old Liverpool shirts. ;)

Have a soft spot for them.

E10 Rifle
17-06-2015, 10:50 PM
I would choose any side that is local to you, and if you have a choice, choose the underdog lower league side. I has a season ticket at Leyton Orient for a number of years and still follow them whenever I can. Wonderful set of people there, and also, you come into contact with some superb supporters from other clubs too as you zig zag the country on trains or buses following your side. So stay local, get to know your fellow fans, and you'll love it.

p.s. if you want a connection with Hibs - it's Bolton, historically and currently

Sean1875
18-06-2015, 02:44 AM
Spurs are my English team, but for no particular reason. I guess I just enjoy supporting teams who have the ability to get spectacularly close to success and then balls it right up :greengrin

If spurs don't get a result though I'm not fussed. as many have said, nothing comes close to my passion for Hibs & Scotland

Ray_
18-06-2015, 06:32 AM
I've never "supported" any other team than Hibs. But down through the years I've admired a few different English clubs, which has changed as the seasons and different eras passed.

I loved watching the Manchester United team under Matt Busby which contained those three all time greats - Best, Law, and Charlton. Especially the flawed genius that was George Best.

Later, I admired the great Liverpool teams of the late 70s/early 80s - winning so many titles and trophies including 4 European Cups during that period.

The great European nights had a really special atmosphere at Anfield in that period. The crowd swaying in the Kop was a sight to see. Liverpool's European record still is phenomenal. Players like Dalglish, Case, Toshack, Souness, Kennedy and Rush to name just a few.

In more recent times I like the way Arsenal play football under Arsene Wenger.

So, that's me, a classic glory hunter - Man Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal. :wink:

Although it was Man U for me, for much of the same reasons you said, I also liked Liverpool team as well [with that scenario, mortal enemies, nobody could call us supporters]. My Liverpool connection started in 1970, when as a 13 yo, I went to our fairs cup fixture at Anfield and the Liverpool fans treated the Hibs fans so well, both inside the ground and in their supporters club afterwards. They also had Bill Shankly and loads of Scottish players, not least, Peter Cormack, who I was a massive fan of. It wasn't really glory hunting back then, Leeds were easily the best team in England at that time, although their domination was never fully fulfilled in terms of trophy's won.

The Liverpool team from later in the seventies was different, they were the best team in Europe and those European cup games were something else. Liverpool would have had lots of Scottish fans then, we are a patriotic bunch and it was great seeing so many Scottish players being that successful at the very top end of European football.

Bill Milne
18-06-2015, 07:37 AM
Bristol Rovers are my English team. Mon the Gas!!!

Stranraer
18-06-2015, 09:53 AM
You forgot to mention how good the pies are at Spotland! I go along there occasionally when they have rearranged midweek games etc. Only £15 to stand behind the goal, even in League One, and despite being nearly 15 miles further away I get home sooner than I do from 7 miles away at Bolton!

I was in the football club bar beforehand AND at half time so I can't remember much about the pies :greengrin

matty_f
18-06-2015, 10:51 AM
I adopted Blackburn after a friendly at ER, just after Shearer signed. Hibs won 3-0 that night but something attracted me to Blackburn - it was great at first when they won the league, but it's been pretty grim since. Definite parallels between Blackburn and Hibs.

Sure we were singing "What a waste of money" about Shearer that night! :faf:

Bad Martini
18-06-2015, 11:12 AM
Hibs and Liverpool.

If you can stand on a terrace (the old East or the Kop) and feel equal joy/despair/euphoria and have a tear in yer eye and a lump in your throat singing SOL or YNWA, you know it's not bull**** or glory hunting. What more evidence does one need that THAT is your team(s).

And, I love, unequivocally and unreservedly, the genius of Kenny Dalglish, in a non-all-the-hibees-are-gay and totally hetro way! :thumbsup: (as all men who are not insecure and who love the King will profess happily). Shankly wasnt too shabby either and the wee man from Hetton Le Hole (which is almost Scottish-ish) wasn't too shabby either.

GGTTH/YNWA/ENDOF :thumbsup:

HibbyAndy
18-06-2015, 05:39 PM
Arsenal.

emerald green
18-06-2015, 06:24 PM
Although it was Man U for me, for much of the same reasons you said, I also liked Liverpool team as well [with that scenario, mortal enemies, nobody could call us supporters]. My Liverpool connection started in 1970, when as a 13 yo, I went to our fairs cup fixture at Anfield and the Liverpool fans treated the Hibs fans so well, both inside the ground and in their supporters club afterwards. They also had Bill Shankly and loads of Scottish players, not least, Peter Cormack, who I was a massive fan of. It wasn't really glory hunting back then, Leeds were easily the best team in England at that time, although their domination was never fully fulfilled in terms of trophy's won.

The Liverpool team from later in the seventies was different, they were the best team in Europe and those European cup games were something else. Liverpool would have had lots of Scottish fans then, we are a patriotic bunch and it was great seeing so many Scottish players being that successful at the very top end of European football.

:agree: Especially the bit in bold. :aok:

Scouse Hibee
18-06-2015, 08:22 PM

And I was fortunate enough to be a ST holder at Anfield throughout those glory years, oh they were happy days.

Sir David Gray
18-06-2015, 08:55 PM
I have two English teams - Manchester United and anyone that's playing Liverpool. :greengrin

To be honest, Hibs are the only team I support, no other team even comes remotely close.

Dashing Bob S
18-06-2015, 11:25 PM
One of the most endearing things about Hibs is the indifference which we as a support treat all other clubs, everywhere. No sad, spurious, arse-licking 'special relationships' based on bigotry (Rangers-Linfield-Chelsea) thuggery (A'deen-Spurs) or a weird special needs type desire to be loved. (Celtic and anybody who will speak to them.) Of course, everybody has their personal preferences.

Mr White
19-06-2015, 06:23 AM
Sure we were singing "What a waste of money" about Shearer that night! :faf:

We were and neil orr turned him inside out on the edge of our box in a rare display of silky ball control. Neil Orr humiliating alan shearer :tee hee:

ben johnson
19-06-2015, 12:12 PM
Bristol Rovers are my English team. Mon the Gas!!!

If you had a proper job there would be no need to hang about with other teams

Chibs
19-06-2015, 12:49 PM
I could not give a toss about any english football club.
However while working in Dordrecht Holland I did fall in love with their local team F.C. Dordrecht.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQpB1kLTWBPmUT4jbFdaDi1YzNv2q9p7 CEgV5SJMsznUtFEOOoFEg

LancashireHibby
20-06-2015, 09:33 AM
p.s. if you want a connection with Hibs - it's Bolton, historically and currently

You'll do for me!!

NOLA
20-06-2015, 04:47 PM
Having worked in London many moons ago and having a French background, Arsenal were the team i followed down there not unsurprisingly, oh and i went to school with some of the Marinello kids so theres a Hibs - Arsenal link to seal the deal :greengrin off topic but Marseille are my "home" team growing up in the south of France and Genoa my italian team because my dads cousin played for them.

Scouse Hibee
20-06-2015, 05:14 PM
Peter Cormack,Calsberg,Kenny Dalglish pulling on a Hibs shirt in Alan Sneddon's testimonial and me.........that's the Liverpool connection :-)

kaimendhibs
20-06-2015, 05:42 PM
Watford.

vercol36
21-06-2015, 09:51 AM
Watford.

Aye, I think Watford are a second team for a lot of folk throughout the UK...bit too 'fluffy' in my opinion. :agree:

Phil MaGlass
21-06-2015, 10:21 AM

Sorry mate,
MOTD is a pi5h show, ex professionals that cant break down games tactically and explain in detail. Its a joke of a programme same with their unbelievably pi55 poor commentary on Euro and World Cup games, they have absolutely no knowledge on teams, the way they play, their players absolutely nothing, its embarrassing, luckily I can speak a couple of other languages and can watch and learn fitba on other tv channels, dicksplats like lawrensen and shearer, no depth. Thats the reason I stopped watchin MOTD a while back, also my interest in the so called best league in the world waned.Dont have a favourite english team either, probably my local team The Hague and Borussia Dortmund

stu in nottingham
21-06-2015, 10:49 AM
I don't 'support' any other team than Hibs though as a kid did have an interest in Manchester United - mainly because they sported two of my three favourite players of all-time in Denis Law and George Best (the other being Joe Baker). I have no time for what they are these days nor the moneyed circus that surrounds top level English football.

Living in a city with two league teams in Nottingham Forest and Notts County, (and Mansfield Town but a few miles away) I enjoy seeing all of these teams do well and in particular felt a lot of civic pride when amazingly Forest brought the European Cup back to Nottingham not once but twice in two years running in those days. An incredible and probably unrepeatable feat by any similar sized provincial club. Those days were totally incredible with Brian Clough (and Peter Taylor) in their pomp and ripping up English and European football and it's so-called giants.

I do have a soft spot for Notts County though and mainly due to slightly Jambo-esque behaviour by some Forest supporters, family connections and a feel for the underdog, tend to favour them over Forest, if anything

The Baldmans Comb
21-06-2015, 11:29 AM
No English team at all and find it quite weird when people in pubs celebrate a Man U/Liverpool/Chelsea goal as if Hibs have just qualified for the Champions League.

I do admire English fans though as on the whole they have a real depth of knowledge and understanding of football.

Scottish people who try to artificially attach themselves to the English Premiership just make me giggle though.

Stranraer
21-06-2015, 12:28 PM
No English team at all and find it quite weird when people in pubs celebrate a Man U/Liverpool/Chelsea goal as if Hibs have just qualified for the Champions League.

I do admire English fans though as on the whole they have a real depth of knowledge and understanding of football.

Scottish people who try to artificially attach themselves to the English Premiership just make me giggle though.

I think that's true of supporters of lower league teams but I was around many glory hunting United / Chelsea / Arsenal fans who didn't know the first thing about football or the club's history.

stu in nottingham
21-06-2015, 01:47 PM

I don't find any much difference in knowledge, from personal observation. In addition, (and maybe this thread bears that out!) I find Scottish football fans know much more about the English game than English supporters do about the Scottish equivalent - maybe for obvious reasons as related here. I find typically, for instance, that most English football fans I speak to know little about Hibs above 'are they the Catholic team, or is that Hearts?' :greengrin More mature generations have maybe a memory of Pat Stanton perhaps and that's about it.

scousehibby
21-06-2015, 01:53 PM
I don't find any much difference in knowledge, from personal observation. In addition, (and maybe this thread bears that out!) I find Scottish football fans know much more about the English game than English supporters do about the Scottish equivalent - maybe for obvious reasons as related here. I find typically, for instance, that most English football fans I speak to know little about Hibs above 'are they the Catholic team, or is that Hearts?' :greengrin More mature generations have maybe a memory of Pat Stanton perhaps and that's about it.
I agree. Scots know far more about the English clubs than English do about Scots. In England it's rare they mention any other clubs on tv /radio other than the weegie teams.

Newry Hibs
22-06-2015, 11:36 AM
I don't 'support' any other team than Hibs though as a kid did have an interest in Manchester United - mainly because they sported two of my three favourite players of all-time in Denis Law and George Best (the other being Joe Baker). I have no time for what they are these days nor the moneyed circus that surrounds top level English football.

Living in a city with two league teams in Nottingham Forest and Notts County, (and Mansfield Town but a few miles away) I enjoy seeing all of these teams do well and in particular felt a lot of civic pride when amazingly Forest brought the European Cup back to Nottingham not once but twice in two years running in those days. An incredible and probably unrepeatable feat by any similar sized provincial club. Those days were totally incredible with Brian Clough (and Peter Taylor) in their pomp and ripping up English and European football and it's so-called giants.

I do have a soft spot for Notts County though and mainly due to slightly Jambo-esque behaviour by some Forest supporters, family connections and a feel for the underdog, tend to favour them over Forest, if anything

I've often wondered about two team towns such as Nottingham or Stoke. Is there any reason (in general) why a team is chosen? Location in the town - though a river divides the grounds in Nottingham, Family ties, Glory hunting?
Obviously it's easy in Scotland as it's purely based on religion :rolleyes:.

Chibs
22-06-2015, 12:04 PM
I've often wondered about two team towns such as Nottingham or Stoke. Is there any reason (in general) why a team is chosen? Location in the town - though a river divides the grounds in Nottingham, Family ties, Glory hunting?

Wow what an impressive post.

Peevemor
22-06-2015, 05:02 PM
There have been times when there are teams that I've gone out my way to watch. Liverpool (Dalglish, Souness, Rush), Ipswich (Wark), Man U (Cantona, Scholes, Giggs), Milan (3 Dutchmen). There was also a wee spell when Norwich were pretty entertaining in Europe. I wouldn't/couldn't say that I supported any of these teams, but I was certainly a fan.

E10 Rifle
22-06-2015, 05:36 PM

You've pretty much got it. The reasons are no different from up here.

Family ties and location generally but there will a bit of favouring the more successful team which is inevitable as people prefer to be associated with success IMHO. Cost can be a bit of a factor nowadays too. I know quite a few folks whose kids might be Arsenal or Tottenham due to the 'glamour' in London but will attend Orient as it's more affordable to take them, and er, no waiting list for season tickets, or any waiting to be fair (apart from at the bar to drown your sorrows).

NAE NOOKIE
22-06-2015, 05:52 PM

Aye that's right. Hibs massive Hindu support is down to that and its well known that ICT have a massive Mormon support. If you are a Rastafarian in Glasgow only Partick Thistle will do.

Saturday Boy
22-06-2015, 05:57 PM
Aye that's right. Hibs massive Hindu support is down to that and its well known that ICT have a massive Mormon support. If you are a Rastafarian in Glasgow only Partick Thistle will do.

You've seen the new Partick mascot I take it. It does have a certain natty dread look about it.:wink:

rotherhamrob
22-06-2015, 06:36 PM
Seeing as I've lived in rotherham for over 25 years I thought I'd give it a go and go to a game, bored out of my skull doesn't even come close to describing it. If it's not hibs or scotland I just can't get interested