PDA

View Full Version : Stubbs contract?

KeithTheHibby
10-06-2015, 12:10 PM
Does he only have 1 year left?

May be quite hard convincing players to commit to 2 year deals when your manager is only signed up for a year...:hmmm:

I was talking about guys such as Allan, Fontaine, not those who have already signed on.

Mikey09
10-06-2015, 12:45 PM
Does he only have 1 year left?

May be quite hard convincing players to commit to 2 year deals when your manager is only signed up for a year...:hmmm:

I was talking about guys such as Allan, Fontaine, not those who have already signed on.

I said this the other week Keith on another thread. Leanne should make sure that Stubbs is the priority. Players come and go but having a manager who has a vision, plays good football and KNOWS what he's doing is key to the club moving forward. Come on Hibs... Get him on a long term contract!! :thumbsup:

Steve20
10-06-2015, 01:31 PM
I said this the other week Keith on another thread. Leanne should make sure that Stubbs is the priority. Players come and go but having a manager who has a vision, plays good football and KNOWS what he's doing is key to the club moving forward. Come on Hibs... Get him on a long term contract!! :thumbsup:

I'd offer a one year extension to the current deal. If he fails to get promoted this season, he can't get a third shot at it. So it would be a big payoff if too long a deal.

Oscar T Grouch
10-06-2015, 01:40 PM
I'd offer a one year extension to the current deal. If he fails to get promoted this season, he can't get a third shot at it. So it would be a big payoff if too long a deal.

Because chopping and changing managers has worked so well for us over the last 10 years eh? Whichever way you look at it, the title is still a big ask for Hibs this coming season, we are in a league with a club that MAY have a lot more resources than us, who the bookies has as shoo in favourites and an ex SPL team just demoted. I think we'll go up, but if it ends like the season just past, I would be gutted but I wouldn't look to be sacking a head coach with the potential of AS.

allezsauzee
10-06-2015, 01:43 PM
I'm flabbergasted that anyone would even be considering us sacking Stubbs!

Steve20
10-06-2015, 02:01 PM
Because chopping and changing managers has worked so well for us over the last 10 years eh? Whichever way you look at it, the title is still a big ask for Hibs this coming season, we are in a league with a club that MAY have a lot more resources than us, who the bookies has as shoo in favourites and an ex SPL team just demoted. I think we'll go up, but if it ends like the season just past, I would be gutted but I wouldn't look to be sacking a head coach with the potential of AS.

I fully expect us to go up this season, so I don't see it being an issue come next May. However, if the worst did happen, how many seasons is acceptable to stay in the second tier?

As for the chopping and changing managers, I think two season is more than enough time to get Hibs up.

Oscar T Grouch
10-06-2015, 02:09 PM
I fully expect us to go up this season, so I don't see it being an issue come next May. However, if the worst did happen, how many seasons is acceptable to stay in the second tier?

Without the orcs in the league then one season. Last year was exceptional, both the yams and the the rangers were in the league already once we dropped into it, we just about made it out of the league from being in total disarray, if a couple things had gone our way or we got the rub of the green we would have gone up. The blame for the mess we are in is not Stubbs or Leann's, Petrie, butcher and malpas have that accolade. I genuinely think we have an excellent coach in AS, and time will prove me right on that, to sack him because of not getting prompted smacks of cutting our nose off to spite our face. We will go up automatically this coming season, I have very few doubts about that, but if we don't, it'll be because the rangers have financially doped themselves to the eyeballs, and that we can do nothing about.

Steve20
10-06-2015, 02:13 PM
Without the orcs in the league then one season. Last year was exceptional, both the yams and the the rangers were in the league already once we dropped into it, we just about made it out of the league from being in total disarray, if a couple things had gone our way or we got the rub of the green we would have gone up. The blame for the mess we are in is not Stubbs or Leann's, Petrie, butcher and malpas have that accolade. I genuinely think we have an excellent coach in AS, and time will prove me right on that, to sack him because of not getting prompted smacks of cutting our nose off to spite our face. We will go up automatically this coming season, I have very few doubts about that, but if we don't, it'll be because the rangers have financially doped themselves to the eyeballs, and that we can do nothing about.

It's nothing to do with cutting our nose to spite our face. It would be about finding a coach that can get us promoted, as Stubbs wouldn't have managed to do it in two attempts in this scenario. Not having the Hearts and Rangers thing. No reason we can't compete with Hearts and Rangers were a circus act all last season and still knocked us out the playoffs.

Alan Stubbs has done ok so far. Nothing more and nothing less. He needs promotion this season.

Just Alf
10-06-2015, 02:14 PM

:agree: And in that scenario Stubbs would certainly deserve the following season (if we could get him to stay on)

:flag:

CallumLaidlaw
10-06-2015, 02:27 PM
:agree: And in that scenario Stubbs would certainly deserve the following season (if we could get him to stay on)

:agree: Absolutely. If rangers bring in a half decent manager and are allowed to bring in players on wages of up to £10k a week, then even staying close to them will be impressive. Last season and this coming season are complete oddities in the history of scottish football in having 2 and 3 of the biggest 5 clubs in the country in the 2nd tier.

Good players seem to want to play for Stubbs. The likes of Lewis Stevenson has said its the fittest hes ever been in his career. Alan Stubbs will go on to manage bigger clubs than Hibs, and it been 10 years and 7 managers since we've been able to say that

Since90+2
10-06-2015, 02:48 PM

I think Stubbs had a good first season but I dont think you can say we just about made it out of the league.

Hearts romped the league so we never got close to going up automatically and we lost our only playoff tie not even making it to the final.

Stubbs done the bare minimum (in league terms) by getting us into the playoffs.

Unseen work
10-06-2015, 02:58 PM
I don't get why we would get rid even if he never got us promoted, purely for the reason I don't know anyone who could do a better job on out budget

DH1875
10-06-2015, 03:14 PM
I don't get why we would get rid even if he never got us promoted, purely for the reason I don't know anyone who could do a better job on out budget

That's's the key for me. If Rangers spend big and win the league then fair enough, nothing Stubbs can do about that. I would still expect us to get promoted though by finishing 2nd. IF we don't at least make the playoff final the Stubbs should and would have to be gone IMO.

southern hibby
10-06-2015, 03:18 PM
I'm all for AS getting an extension, but as I have said in a previous thread all our players seem to be getting 2 year deals and we are talking about giving certain players a year extension too.
If we give Stubbs a year extension there is nothing to stop him leaving and taking the backbone of our team with him for absoloutely nothing. This means that any championship side could have AS as manager and several very good players too and we would get nothing from any deal.
I personally would offer AS a 2 year extension and let's get some long term stability from a manager/ coach and players that could make us a team to be reckoned with once again in the premiership.
As for not getting us promoted well come to that bridge if and when it happens, but I believe we will this year.
GGTTH

Michael
10-06-2015, 03:35 PM
Personally, I like 1 year rolling contracts for managers.

Long term contracts only benefit rubbish managers because you have to pay them off.

Oscar T Grouch
10-06-2015, 03:39 PM
It's nothing to do with cutting our nose to spite our face. It would be about finding a coach that can get us promoted, as Stubbs wouldn't have managed to do it in two attempts in this scenario. Not having the Hearts and Rangers thing. No reason we can't compete with Hearts and Rangers were a circus act all last season and still knocked us out the playoffs.

Alan Stubbs has done ok so far. Nothing more and nothing less. He needs promotion this season.

I think Stubbs had a good first season but I dont think you can say we just about made it out of the league.

Hearts romped the league so we never got close to going up automatically and we lost our only playoff tie not even making it to the final.

Stubbs done the bare minimum (in league terms) by getting us into the playoffs.

I really think this is and will be a case of be careful for what you wish for, Stubbs is a good coach, if we don't get promoted next season, we change coach, who do we bring in? A coach with experience that can take us out the league? How would we pay for that? How could we guarantee they'd hit the ground running and get us promoted? Stubbs minimum was to get us into the playoffs? This year its promotion or he's off? That's a pretty narrow view of how things actually are and smacks of short term memory loss. We were in an awful state last year, the club was on its knees, and I think finishing 2nd in a league with the rangers and hearts was a good result, the playoffs are a gamble, look at the English Championship, of the 11 years the current structure has been in place 6 times out of 11 the 3rd placed team got promoted, that just over half the time. All playoffs are a gamble. If we had taken a few changes against the orcs, we would have been in the final and it would have been a totally different game to what it was.

I think if we manage to keep AS here, it will be a coup for Hibs, if we don't it'll be to our detriment and bad for the long term health of the club.

Franck Stanton
10-06-2015, 03:45 PM
Think some people need to be careful what they wish for. Alan Stubbs is a VERY good manager, best we have had since Mowbray/McLeish, in fact, given time could prove best since Turnbull. lets see what he can do with a squad he built, with a good pre-season behind him, think we will all be delighted with him come end of the season, only fear I have is, he leaves us for a bigger club. For what it's worth, I think he is doing a fantastic job and we will win the league this year. :gwa:

Bishop Hibee
10-06-2015, 03:48 PM

I agree with this. However seeing the improvement from the start of last season to the end I believe we will go up in 15/16.

Jim44
10-06-2015, 04:07 PM
If we don't go back up either next season or the next again at the latest, I can see us becoming a dyed in the wool Championship club. As far as Stubbs is concerned, I don't think he would want to stay on for another year if that were the case.

bingo70
10-06-2015, 04:32 PM

I'd hope that dempster would have better contacts in the game than you or I though.

I like Stubbs, I think he'll do well next season but I don't see the urgency to extend his deal. If we fail to get promotion he's ultimately failed two years in a row, regardless of how you dress it up.

If we don't go up next season we'd have to give consideration to replacing him, hearts have shown what can be achieved in this league on a similar budget so we'll have a benchmark to compare against. If we have a similar season to them but rangers do as well I could handle missing out but another season like this one and we fail to go up wouldn't be good enough.

SanFranHibs
10-06-2015, 04:39 PM

But until there is league reconstruction there will alays be at least one top flight team dropping down. Last year the Rangers were odds on with TWO top flight teams dropping and they finished beneath both.

Not saying we will not go up but changes might occur especially if at the end of next season if we don't go up and Rangers don't go up and again there is at least one team dropping down? and what if we have a pretty bad season? that will take care of itself. Now I am not saying we sack him if we don't go up, but we have to be realistic in today's game. Most managers are on a short leash.

However, all that said, I am confident we can win this league! In fact i might stick a few quid on us to win it and I won't worry about 2016/16 until we get through 2015/16.

Stubbs can do it this year!

Hannah_hfc
10-06-2015, 05:13 PM
If anyone else saw the Stubbs interview after Fyvie signed a 2 year deal, he spoke a bit about a Fyvies past with a change of management down south leading to his career dipping before coming back here.

Reading between the lines, the fact that AS highlighted that in particular, I'd take from that, a key factor of Fyvie staying and signing for us would be Stubbs assuring him that the current management would be constant for the foreseeable future.

Although there's a high chance that I have maybe looked too much into it, that's what struck me when I watched that particular interview!

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

BOB MARLEYS DUG
10-06-2015, 05:15 PM
He'll be getting an extension fairly soon I reckon.

Since90+2
10-06-2015, 07:00 PM
I really think this is and will be a case of be careful for what you wish for, Stubbs is a good coach, if we don't get promoted next season, we change coach, who do we bring in? A coach with experience that can take us out the league? How would we pay for that? How could we guarantee they'd hit the ground running and get us promoted? Stubbs minimum was to get us into the playoffs? This year its promotion or he's off? That's a pretty narrow view of how things actually are and smacks of short term memory loss. We were in an awful state last year, the club was on its knees, and I think finishing 2nd in a league with the rangers and hearts was a good result, the playoffs are a gamble, look at the English Championship, of the 11 years the current structure has been in place 6 times out of 11 the 3rd placed team got promoted, that just over half the time. All playoffs are a gamble. If we had taken a few changes against the orcs, we would have been in the final and it would have been a totally different game to what it was.

I think if we manage to keep AS here, it will be a coup for Hibs, if we don't it'll be to our detriment and bad for the long term health of the club.

I agree. Stubbs is a very good manager and a I hope he signs an extension.

My point was in response to someone saying we just about went up last season which I don't agree with.

shetlandhibee
10-06-2015, 07:04 PM

As for the chopping and changing managers, I think two season is more than enough time to get Hibs up.
:agree:

Onion
10-06-2015, 07:09 PM

Stubbs has done enough to show he'll be worth money if he gets Hibs up or not. Get him on a rolling one year deal so we at least get a bit of cash if suitors come calling.

Steve20
11-06-2015, 07:35 AM
Stubbs has done enough to show he'll be worth money if he gets Hibs up or not.

No, he's not.

I like Stubbs, he comes across as a nice guy. But results wise, he's not achieved anything yet. We only beat Falkirk, QOS and Raith a grand total of 3 times in 12 matches. Chuck in a poor semi final which was there for the taking. "Oh but we dominated" doesn't make a difference, we lost.

Yes the football is easier on the eye, but give me scrappy 1-0 wins every week to get out this league please rather than well played defeats.

Stubbs deserves another shot at it, but to say he's done anything other than OK so far is pushing it. A lot of people are blinded by the 4-0 at Christmas over Rangers, IMO.

DH1875
11-06-2015, 08:04 AM
Where do we draw the line? IF rangers spend big and win the league then what are we looking at. Is finishing 2nd enough, is it making the playoffs, is it making the playoff final?
People can't honestly believe he should keep his job no matter what. A line has to be drawn somewhere I'm affraid.

CallumLaidlaw
11-06-2015, 08:26 AM
Where do we draw the line? IF rangers spend big and win the league then what are we looking at. Is finishing 2nd enough, is it making the playoffs, is it making the playoff final?
People can't honestly believe he should keep his job no matter what. A line has to be drawn somewhere I'm affraid.

Of course it does. Progress needs to be seen. We need to be dealing with the smaller teams better, and if Rangers do spend, we need to be at least 2nd and making the playoff final.

I don't think it will get to that tho, as I reckon we may be looking at the top 4 being promoted through reconstruction.

Andy74
11-06-2015, 09:09 AM
I'm confident that when Stubbs leaves Hibs it will be his choice.

CallumLaidlaw
11-06-2015, 09:10 AM
I'm confident that when Stubbs leaves Hibs it will be his choice.

:agree:

bingo70
11-06-2015, 06:47 PM
Notice Sheffield Wednesday have just sacked their manager (seems a strange time to do it). Stubbs has been linked to a couple similar size jobs, wonder if he'll be in the frame for this one?

CallumLaidlaw
11-06-2015, 07:07 PM
Notice Sheffield Wednesday have just sacked their manager (seems a strange time to do it). Stubbs has been linked to a couple similar size jobs, wonder if he'll be in the frame for this one?

Mark Warburton has been installed as favourite

Hibs90
12-06-2015, 03:20 PM
always thought it was a 3 year deal

Centre Hawf
12-06-2015, 09:02 PM

Getting out of this division is no easy task. It wasn't this season and it won't be next. If we don't win the division and we bomb out in the play off's again I'd judge him more over the season than 3 weeks in May. I think he's the manager to move the club forward. Just a shame he's having to do so in this division.

Forza Fred
12-06-2015, 10:40 PM
Getting out of this division is no easy task. It wasn't this season and it won't be next. If we don't win the division and we bomb out in the play off's again I'd judge him more over the season than 3 weeks in May. I think he's the manager to move the club forward. Just a shame he's having to do so in this division.

Agreed he has no control over relative finances available between us, and Rangers, who obviously are our main challengers for promotion.

I think he has clearly shown that a vast improvement has been made.

I think we should be more worried about how we can hang on to him.....as the original post was about, and looking for ways to support him in his endeavours, than as some seem to want to do, putting minimum requirements on what he must do to earn an extension.

My worry is that Stubbs will go of his own volition, not that he will go because we don't want him.

Sean1875
12-06-2015, 10:46 PM
Mark Warburton has been installed as favourite

that not the same fella who's favourite to get the Zombies job?

B.H.F.C
12-06-2015, 10:48 PM
Agreed he has no control over relative finances available between us, and Rangers, who obviously are our main challengers for promotion.

I think we should be more worried about how we can hang on to him.....as the original post was about, and looking for ways to support him in his endeavours, than as some seem to want to do, putting minimum requirements on what he must do to earn an extension.

My worry is that Stubbs will go of his own volition, not that he will go because we don't want him.

Why be worried about Stubbs going when he chooses? If he does that it'll mean he's done well. If he goes when we decide then it'll probably mean he's getting punted as we are still in the championship.

In any case, I don't think we need to worry about him choosing to leave at the moment. Not for footballing reasons anyway.

3pm
12-06-2015, 10:50 PM
that not the same fella who's favourite to get the Zombies job?

He's nowhere near favourite for the job now. Ibrox bound according to the bookies.

Sean1875
12-06-2015, 10:51 PM
He's nowhere near favourite for the job now.

ah no worries, not been following it that closely recently! who's the favourite now do you know?

3pm
12-06-2015, 10:52 PM
ah no worries, not been following it that closely recently! who's the favourite now do you know?

Never heard of the chap! 1/5 on Skybet whoever he is.

Warburton 1/3 for Ibrox.

ANDY McGEECHAN
13-06-2015, 03:57 AM
Alan Stubbs to sign a new two year deal this week.

Sean1875
13-06-2015, 06:43 AM
Alan Stubbs to sign a new two year deal this week.

opinion or FACT?

Ronniekirk
13-06-2015, 07:51 AM

Think ypu are right ,it's now a catch 22 for us .He has done well enough to alert other clubs that he has potential to be a good manager .if he repeats the same feat this season or takes us up ,his stock is likely to continue to rise ,and I would think there would then be interest in him .So if he Is only on a two year contract ,makes sense to extend that so that , so we would get compensation rather than loose him for nothing .

greenlex
13-06-2015, 08:53 AM
We should be bursting the bank to tie Stubbs up long term. A manager who gets the best out of players and plays the game the way it's meant to. A manager by his very presence can attract quality players. What's not to like?

AlbertK86
13-06-2015, 08:59 AM
We should be bursting the bank to tie Stubbs up long term. A manager who gets the best out of players and plays the game the way it's meant to. A manager by his very presence can attract quality players. What's not to like?

100 % spot on

dchibs
13-06-2015, 09:49 AM
Well said.

bingo70
13-06-2015, 10:08 AM

If he gets the best out of his players how come we had so many poor results against dreadful teams last season?

I'm nit picking a bit as I do really like Stubbs and I think we'll do well next season, I just think he's got a bit to do to live up to the messiah status some people are building him up to be.

Imo a new contract now is unnecessary and we should wait to see how next season is panning out before considering extending his deal.

Smartie
13-06-2015, 10:11 AM

Well said.

To be honest, I think this is one of the things that we've done wrong as a club over the past few years. I think the ultra-cautious "don't put them on long contracts so we don't get stung too hard if it doesn't work out" attitude (for contracts for both players AND managers) makes for a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy of failure. If you are going to appoint someone to a position you do it because you believe in them 100% and you should go on to back them and work with them 100%. With that long contract there is an obligation to work with people to get the best out of them - not just go it into half-arsed because you know it isn't too damaging to get rid of them when it doesn't work out.

Stubbs has shown a lot in his time with us that I think he deserves full backing. Ok, we didn't go up last year but he still, from a standing start managed to finish above Rangers and only finished behind a Hearts team who we must all (albeit grudgingly) acknowledge did very well last year. He also appears to me to be good at learning from his mistakes - as a rookie he will make them but he doesn't appear to make them twice. And I'd say that his early transfer dealings this summer are targeted at addressing exactly what our weaknesses were last season.

Even if we don't win the league this year I would imagine it wouldn't be because of anything Stubbs has done wrong but more because Rangers will have got their act together and used their extra resources wisely.

I think he will move on to bigger and better things at some point. But I really can't see a situation any time soon that we would be likely to want to get rid of him. A good, long contract would send out a message.

The Leith Dutch
13-06-2015, 10:38 AM

I reckon it's a fair enough statement.
Finished second and we were in the playoffs.
With a wee bit more composure in the box we'd have been playing Motherwell.

As for what would have happened against Motherwell - given that in the second leg of the playoff at Easter Road we were all over sevco like a cheap suit I'd doubt we'd have got pumped 6-1. We're a more solid team than them and the confidence of turning over a 2-0 deficit in the semi would have given us a right good chance.