PDA

View Full Version : Liam Fontaine

Torto7062
10-06-2015, 09:43 AM
Let's hope he's signed up asap.....

New Captain 👍

Hibs are close to agreeing a deal to retain the services of Liam Fontaine, the Evening News understands.

Head coach Alan Stubbs is keen to keep the defender for next season’s Championship title tilt and the 29-year-old Londoner is open to extending his stay with the Easter Road club even though they failed to win promotion to the Premiership in the campaign just finished.

Fontaine arrived in Edinburgh last August after bringing to an end an eight-year spell with Bristol City and he swiftly established himself as a mainstay at the heart of Stubbs’ defence. The Englishman made 38 appearances and had such a positive influence on the team that he was asked to wear the captain’s armband on a couple of occasions towards the end of the season in the absence of skipper Liam Craig and his deputy, David Gray.

Hibs fans feared Fontaine, whose deal expired at the end of the season, would choose to return to England after their promotion bid was dashed by a play-off semi-final defeat by Rangers last month. However, the defender has enjoyed being one of the on-field leaders’ of Stubbs side and, after fruitful discussions between the 
club and his representatives, indications from those on both sides suggest he is more likely than not to remain with the 
Edinburgh club.

Big_Franck
10-06-2015, 09:51 AM
Let's hope he's signed up asap.....

New Captain 

Hibs are close to agreeing a deal to retain the services of Liam Fontaine, the Evening News understands.

Head coach Alan Stubbs is keen to keep the defender for next season’s Championship title tilt and the 29-year-old Londoner is open to extending his stay with the Easter Road club even though they failed to win promotion to the Premiership in the campaign just finished.

Fontaine arrived in Edinburgh last August after bringing to an end an eight-year spell with Bristol City and he swiftly established himself as a mainstay at the heart of Stubbs’ defence. The Englishman made 38 appearances and had such a positive influence on the team that he was asked to wear the captain’s armband on a couple of occasions towards the end of the season in the absence of skipper Liam Craig and his deputy, David Gray.

Hibs fans feared Fontaine, whose deal expired at the end of the season, would choose to return to England after their promotion bid was dashed by a play-off semi-final defeat by Rangers last month. However, the defender has enjoyed being one of the on-field leaders’ of Stubbs side and, after fruitful discussions between the 
club and his representatives, indications from those on both sides suggest he is more likely than not to remain with the 
Edinburgh club.

He won't be captain as David Gray was announced as new club captain.

It would be massive for us if we can get Fontaine signed up again though. I wouldn't be surprised if it was another two year deal.

Torto7062
10-06-2015, 10:33 AM
He won't be captain as David Gray was announced as new club captain.

It would be massive for us if we can get Fontaine signed up again though. I wouldn't be surprised if it was another two year deal.

Has Gray been made captain I never knew just back from holiday.

2yr would be a good idea

kaimendhibs
10-06-2015, 11:08 AM
Has Gray been made captain I never knew just back from holiday.

2yr would be a good idea

Yip, new club captain

lord bunberry
10-06-2015, 11:19 AM
The longer this goes on the less likely he's going to be staying IMO. I presume he's been offered a contract already. Hopefully he's just away on holiday mulling over his options.

CallumLaidlaw
10-06-2015, 11:28 AM
The longer this goes on the less likely he's going to be staying IMO. I presume he's been offered a contract already. Hopefully he's just away on holiday mulling over his options.

It might already be agreed. Stubbs is away this week, so nothing likely to be announced this week anyway. I reckon 2 or 3 announcements on Monday/Tuesday next week.

scoopyboy
10-06-2015, 11:29 AM

He's just back from holiday.

NORTHERNHIBBY
10-06-2015, 11:39 AM
A positive and calming influence at the back. IMO the natural captain. I think the other players look to him when we under pressure, rather than Gray.
Worth a two year contract (maybe three?) based on his own performances and he potential to bring on others. Also, if he has another good season and another team look to sign him, then we get a fee.

allezsauzee
10-06-2015, 11:40 AM
Hopefully its done deal along with Allan signing an extension and Hibs are just drip feeding the good news to keep things interesting over the summer

MrSmith
10-06-2015, 11:50 AM
Hopefully its done deal along with Allan signing an extension and Hibs are just drip feeding the good news to keep things interesting over the summer

If so, would rather hibs just came out with it as would state commitment to ensuring a good team on the park.

erin go bragh
10-06-2015, 07:31 PM
I would rather the een shut the hell up as every other club now knows Fontain is up for grabs .

GGTTH

tamig
10-06-2015, 07:36 PM
I would rather the een shut the hell up as every other club now knows Fontain is up for grabs .

GGTTH

I suspect any interested clubs will have been fully aware of that anyway. Keep calm.

lord bunberry
10-06-2015, 07:56 PM
He's just back from holiday.
I expect an announcement tomorrow then :greengrin

lord bunberry
10-06-2015, 07:57 PM
It might already be agreed. Stubbs is away this week, so nothing likely to be announced this week anyway. I reckon 2 or 3 announcements on Monday/Tuesday next week.
Fontaine and Allan would be nice.

hfc rd
10-06-2015, 10:37 PM

GGTTH

I'm pretty sure they knew he was out of contract at the end of the season and not rely on a newspaper to inform them.

Sean1875
11-06-2015, 07:04 AM

GGTTH

I'm sure all those football league clubs down South are big readers of the EEN :greengrin

HH81
11-06-2015, 07:22 AM
Why does everyone worry so much? If he wants to stay he will if he doesn't then off he goes.

We will sign another defender then.

Hibby Bairn
11-06-2015, 07:26 AM
Why does everyone worry so much? If he wants to stay he will if he doesn't then off he goes.

So true. :agree:

scoopyboy
11-06-2015, 07:40 AM
I expect an announcement tomorrow then :greengrin

When does the away strip get launched?

May coincide with resigning or new players.

H18sry
11-06-2015, 08:50 AM
When does the away strip get launched?

May coincide with resigning or new players.

The purple away strip will be released at the end of June

Big_Franck
11-06-2015, 08:57 AM

By the same token why should we bother about losing Scott Allan, we'd just sign another midfielder anyway.

If only it was that easy to replace a quality defender on our budget.

Andy74
11-06-2015, 09:01 AM

I've no doubt we could sign another defender. Another good one is another issue.

Fontaine is up there with the best that I've seen at Hibs in that position.

IanM
11-06-2015, 09:55 AM
@AgentScotland: Hibs have offered Liam Fontaine a new two year contract with a years option if he plays 75% of games in his 2nd Season

😏

BOB MARLEYS DUG
11-06-2015, 10:13 AM
@AgentScotland: Hibs have offered Liam Fontaine a new two year contract with a years option if he plays 75% of games in his 2nd Season

😏

Don't hold your breath mate, it's agent scotland we are talking about here!

Scouse Hibee
11-06-2015, 10:28 AM

Because it's extremely rare for us to be able to get a player of his quality in that position and he will be a massive loss to the team. Pretty obvious really.

IanM
11-06-2015, 10:44 AM
Don't hold your breath mate, it's agent scotland we are talking about here!

I just love those accounts. No one knows the ins and outs just think it's comical some folk think they do..

Always worth a read for a giggle

scoopyboy
11-06-2015, 11:06 AM
The purple away strip will be released at the end of June

Players back on 25th so that probably blows that theory right out the water.

Salt N Sauzee
11-06-2015, 11:09 AM
I've no doubt we could sign another defender. Another good one is another issue.

Fontaine is up there with the best that I've seen at Hibs in that position.

By far the best one since Rob Jones.

HH81
11-06-2015, 11:11 AM
By the same token why should we bother about losing Scott Allan, we'd just sign another midfielder anyway.

If only it was that easy to replace a quality defender on our budget.

There are plenty of quality defenders in England if he makes the decision to leave.

Allan is under contract so can not just leave but if the money is right I would sell him.

HH81
11-06-2015, 11:13 AM
Because it's extremely rare for us to be able to get a player of his quality in that position and he will be a massive loss to the team. Pretty obvious really.

There is plenty in England who would be just as good and no reason to get in a flap about a player. If he wants to stay he will. I trust Stubbs to bring in the same quality if he does not.

Michael
11-06-2015, 11:27 AM
There is plenty in England who would be just as good and no reason to get in a flap about a player. If he wants to stay he will. I trust Stubbs to bring in the same quality if he does not.

Did you see Nelson?

HH81
11-06-2015, 11:30 AM
Did you see Nelson?

Do you think Stubbs would sign him?

Michael
11-06-2015, 12:22 PM
Do you think Stubbs would sign him?

Do you think Fenlon would have signed him if there were hundreds of top CBs in the English lower leagues?

tamig
11-06-2015, 12:51 PM
Do you think Fenlon would have signed him if there were hundreds of top CBs in the English lower leagues?

It's all about contacts and knowledge of the market. I suspect AS and his backroom team have a wider knowledge of the English market than Pat did. No disrespect to Pat though.

Scouse Hibee
11-06-2015, 12:57 PM

Who's in a flap? Just people commenting on the possibility of losing one of our better players is all I see. Pretty much the same comments you would get in the same situation at any club. Keep hearing about all these good players in England, finding them is one thing, getting them to Hibs within our budget is another.

brog
11-06-2015, 01:00 PM

It was effectively Jimmy Nichol who signed Nelson. He had played for him at Killie. Why do you doubt there are plenty options in English lower leagues? I suspect very few on here had heard of Liam F when he signed.

Unseen work
11-06-2015, 01:06 PM
It all depends on the staff, players and the player were trying to recruit.

Fontaine probably found jobs attractive as it was a well known manager in Stubbs who has a big reputation. As well as the fact he is coming to the end of his playing days and seen the players we currently have and our facilities.

A younger player wanting to progress in England might not find us as a decent club to go to, same goes for being persuaded if it was pat Fenlon trying to convince you, I don't think many would of heard of him.

Some players also don't adapt for whatever reason, look as when we signed James Collins, had done really well in England and no one could believe we pulled this signing off, then he couldn't perform

CallumLaidlaw
11-06-2015, 01:09 PM
I saw on one of the FB groups the other day describing Allan as "easily replaceable". I really don't get people. If the likes of Fontaine & Allan were ten-a-penny, how come we've not had the equivalent versions playing for us over the years. Yep, Fontaine is a straight swap for Nelson, O'Hanlon, Stephens or Dickoh, while Scott Allan is easily replaced by Jimmy Scott, Cregg, Taiwo, Deegan, Cairney, Osborne, or Tudor Jones. :rolleyes:

Unseen work
11-06-2015, 01:16 PM
I saw on one of the FB groups the other day describing Allan as "easily replaceable". I really don't get people. If the likes of Fontaine & Allan were ten-a-penny, how come we've not had the equivalent versions playing for us over the years. Yep, Fontaine is a straight swap for Nelson, O'Hanlon, Stephens or Dickoh, while Scott Allan is easily replaced by Jimmy Scott, Cregg, Taiwo, Deegan, Cairney, Osborne, or Tudor Jones. :rolleyes:

It's a old saying but "you don't realise what you've got until it's gone"

This is why I'm left stunned most weekends hearing some comments people make around me. Much prefer to watch this football with these players than butcher/fenlon/calderwood anyday

anon1875
11-06-2015, 04:19 PM
By far the best one since Rob Jones.
I agree with that, Foster and Hanlon look like new men playing beside him as well. Get him signed up :flag:

DTS
11-06-2015, 06:16 PM
It was effectively Jimmy Nichol who signed Nelson. He had played for him at Killie. Why do you doubt there are plenty options in English lower leagues? I suspect very few on here had heard of Liam F when he signed.

I had and was extremely surprised that we signed him, when Bristol City were flying in the championship he was linked with a move to Liverpool

Bay Area Hibees
14-06-2015, 08:08 AM
I had and was extremely surprised that we signed him, when Bristol City were flying in the championship he was linked with a move to Liverpool

Tweeted today saying how great was to be back in London.

hope short trip!

J-C
14-06-2015, 09:22 AM
Tweeted today saying how great was to be back in London.

hope short trip!

Think family are there

Jack Hackett
14-06-2015, 09:31 AM

It's a well known fact that Hibs are a stepping stone on the way to Liverpool....ask Sol Bamba :greengrin

Bostonhibby
14-06-2015, 09:41 AM
It's a well known fact that Hibs are a stepping stone on the way to Liverpool....ask Sol Bamba :greengrin
Might have been but don't our pink chums claim to have a special relationship with Liverpool now?

They were after all on that long list of bumped creditors[emoji1]

Jack Hackett
14-06-2015, 09:47 AM
Might have been but don't our pink chums claim to have a special relationship with Liverpool now?

They were after all on that long list of bumped creditors[emoji1]

I believe they believe they have a special relationship with everything and everyone....including wars and sisters :wink:

therealgavmac
14-06-2015, 10:04 AM

Ooohhhh, you've taken that too far...

:greengrin

NORTHERNHIBBY
14-06-2015, 10:16 AM
Even this early on, it would be good news to have the defence all sorted for the new season, and that has to include the GK. Build the play from the back and build confidence from the back too.

JimBHibees
14-06-2015, 10:48 AM
Think family are there

Yep he was born and brought up in London.

DH1875
14-06-2015, 08:25 PM
If there waiting to annonce this to raise ST sales, why not announce it at the same time when they brought back the payment plan?