PDA

View Full Version : Summer football on the way?

Hibbyradge
10-06-2015, 07:46 AM
Most Scottish clubs are in favour.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33028189

Ozyhibby
10-06-2015, 07:52 AM
Let's hope so but it seems so obviously a good idea as to rule Scottish football out from making it.

CallumLaidlaw
10-06-2015, 08:15 AM
I personally would miss the festive period football matches.

SQHib
10-06-2015, 08:17 AM
Let's hope so but it seems so obviously a good idea as to rule Scottish football out from making it.

Open to debate on how good an idea it is tbh ? I reckon clubs are pinning their hopes on getting a better tv deal out of this ? Which as we know does not always benefit the fans who attend the games re kick off times etc ?

Also not sure they will get crowds they think they are going to get - better weather leads people to do other stuff during summer too - sports ( golf) , music festivals , holidays etc etc ... I can see the logic in not playing in Dec / Jan / Feb but that means season starts in march and ends in November - I just don't know how you re-schedule to cope with that given European matches , Internationals , World Cups etc etc ... if there was a shift to say have Friday night football in summer months that might work ?

Plenty arguments for an against though ?

calumhibee1
10-06-2015, 08:18 AM
Hope not. I spend a fair amount of time out the country in the summer and I'd have to seriously consider whether it would be worth my while getting a season ticket if i was going to miss 3 or 4 games during that period as well as most likely a couple others throughout the year aswell.

erin go bragh
10-06-2015, 08:18 AM
It would ensure we have the best Newyear Derby record.
I'm in 😄😄

GGTTH

Andy74
10-06-2015, 08:22 AM
Most Scottish clubs are in favour.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33028189

Not really what the article says - it says largely that most clubs are open to discussing it.

SlickShoes
10-06-2015, 08:25 AM
I'd be able to go to more games, would probably get a season ticket.

Wouldn't miss games over christmas, still have EPL to watch on TV and a million other things to do at that time of year.

There is almost nothing entertaining one sports wise over the close season for me so I am all for summer football, bet it never happens though.

Mr White
10-06-2015, 08:27 AM
So pre season would be what, February? Thermal mid winter in scotland. We can shuffle the deck chairs all we like but there's no avoiding the fact we get unpredictable and often unseasonable weather through any part of the year. Summer football would create as many problems as we have now and won't necessarily improve those we currently encounter imo.

Keith_M
10-06-2015, 08:28 AM
They asked the question, "Are you in favour of considering a move to summer football?"

I think that could well be considered misleading, because any Club that said yes would only be indicating that they were in favour of a discussion about Summer Football, but not necessarily in favour of actually making the change.

They should have asked something a bit clearer, like "are you in favour of a changing to summer football".

Moulin Yarns
10-06-2015, 08:33 AM
They were talking about it on the radio this morning and the big stumbling block seems to be International football

"One of is the international calendar given to us by Uefa and Fifa, which means there is a whole range of dates that are simply not available."

The domestic season has to fit International and European fixtures. The game against Ireland is a case in point, why is it a full 3 weeks after the season has finished? Then the European club games start in July and go onto May, this makes it difficult if the season starts in say March or April and lasts 10 or 11 months, we still end up with games in winter.

Not saying I'm against it, but there is a lot to work out before it can be seriously considered. Yes other countries do it so there are examples to study.

MoscowHibs
10-06-2015, 08:38 AM
I personally would miss the festive period football matches.

Mmmmmm, freezing yer nuts aff, catching a cauld, driving hame in blizzards OR basking in the sun showing off yer new hibs top, scantily clad burds wi little more than a Hibs scarf tae cover their modesty and a pleasant drive hame stopping at a braw chippy by the seaside. Aye I wid miss the festive period tae CL. :rolleyes:

Haymaker
10-06-2015, 08:42 AM
Mmmmmm, freezing yer nuts aff, catching a cauld, driving hame in blizzards OR basking in the sun showing off yer new hibs top, scantily clad burds wi little more than a Hibs scarf tae cover their modesty and a pleasant drive hame stopping at a braw chippy by the seaside. Aye I wid miss the festive period tae CL. :rolleyes:

We would still play in the freezing cold! The season would start in feb and end in November!

Keith_M
10-06-2015, 08:44 AM

When did you see this?

Hibbyradge
10-06-2015, 09:05 AM
When did you see this?

http://img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/6740/72829408.251/0_bccea_ec9bd682_orig.jpg

Keith_M
10-06-2015, 09:13 AM
http://img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/6740/72829408.251/0_bccea_ec9bd682_orig.jpg

!Ay Caramba!

:hyper

sahib
10-06-2015, 10:56 AM

Winter in Scotland is depressing enough (SAD?) with no football the suicide rate will probably increase exponentially.

Alan62
10-06-2015, 11:19 AM
Summer's for tennis and golf and riding your bike. I'm not sure being out of synch with the English game is a good thing - think transfer windows and player mobility. I'm not convinced that there would be an uplift in ticket sales (lots of people would be looking at the impact of their holidays on the season ticket purchase - a two week holiday could wipe out two home games and, more to the point, those unpredictable weekends away (ahem!) summer barbecues and stuff could cause domestic conflict for season ticketers).

Scotland's weather can be brutal in February, March and April. It rained every day in June a few years ago. We fairly recently played an Intertoto game in July which would have been stopped due to flooding if it hadn't been a one-off, must play match. October and November can be pretty rough for wind and rain.

Swapping December and January for June and July may sound attractive at a very surface level but when it comes to the fundamental recalibrating of Scottish football, I don't think it will be a winner.

Now get back to the tennis, golf and cycling.

MoscowHibs
10-06-2015, 11:42 AM
When did you see this?

In Stirling aboot 30 years ago. Will this dae She is after all wearing the right colours!!
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_8LvYtAby5z0/TBCwwUd1JFI/AAAAAAAACWk/Xc0eBJ3KxPw/s400/Brazil4.jpg

LaMotta
10-06-2015, 11:44 AM
Swapping December and January for June and July may sound attractive at a very surface level but when it comes to the fundamental recalibrating of Scottish football, I don't think it will be a winner.

:agree:

Myth Number one - Move football to Summer and the crowds will flock to the games!

Hibs Vs Falkirk Easter Road, 23 August 2014 - attendance - 9153

Hibs Vs Falkirk Easter Road, 10 January 2015 - attendance - 9498

Myth Number two - Move Football to Summer and more people will watch it on the TV, we'll get a far better TV deal!

Except when the World cup is on and the European Championships, so even if we might see more people tuning in every second year to games, you can be sure that when major tournaments are on, nobody would give a monkeys about watching the SPFL!

Myth Number three - The weather during the Festive period is awful, its blizzard like, freezing, wet, windy and dark.

Hibs vs Rangers on Boxing Day and the NY Derby at the Pink Bus Shelter last season were both absolutely perfect days for football, sunny, calm, dry with nothing more than a wee chill in the air!

Contrast those days with the visits to Cowdenbeath in late Autumn and Alloa in early Spring, which would continue to be part of this brave new world of "Summer Football" :greengrin

Brightside
10-06-2015, 11:46 AM
The weather is Scotland is pretty much the same as England. You couldn't just change Scotland. Daft idea.

rubber mal
10-06-2015, 11:51 AM
Summer's for tennis and golf and riding your bike. I'm not sure being out of synch with the English game is a good thing - think transfer windows and player mobility. I'm not convinced that there would be an uplift in ticket sales (lots of people would be looking at the impact of their holidays on the season ticket purchase - a two week holiday could wipe out two home games and, more to the point, those unpredictable weekends away (ahem!) summer barbecues and stuff could cause domestic conflict for season ticketers).

Scotland's weather can be brutal in February, March and April. It rained every day in June a few years ago. We fairly recently played an Intertoto game in July which would have been stopped due to flooding if it hadn't been a one-off, must play match. October and November can be pretty rough for wind and rain.

Now get back to the tennis, golf and cycling.

:agree: Totally agree.

marinello59
10-06-2015, 11:52 AM
Is there a group of people anywhere in the world who are more conservative than the 'traditional' Scottish Fitba fan. :greengrin
Summer football in Scotland will come, the game up here needs revolutionary change. Thank goodness some of our clubs are willing to discuss the idea of radical change.

ManBearPig
10-06-2015, 11:55 AM
What you need is a great salesman in charge of this not Doncaster flogging same old horse. We need new league setup and calendar. We need a man to sell the new brand to the TV and advertising also keeping the history involved. The sales person will have to be brave and believe in the idea fully. But it could be great problem is too many people scared and of the auld school of we need as many old firm games we can get.

Haymaker
10-06-2015, 11:56 AM
Is there a group of people anywhere in the world who are more conservative than the 'traditional' Scottish Fitba fan. :greengrin
Summer football in Scotland will come, the game up here needs revolutionary change. Thank goodness some of our clubs are willing to discuss the idea of radical change.

I cannot see any benefit to switching to summer football.

Change is needed but what will ACTUALLY change other than the days we start football and end football?

:dunno:

allezsauzee
10-06-2015, 12:00 PM

Myth Number one - Move football to Summer and the crowds will flock to the games!

Hibs Vs Falkirk Easter Road, 23 August 2014 - attendance - 9153

Hibs Vs Falkirk Easter Road, 10 January 2015 - attendance - 9498

Myth Number two - Move Football to Summer and more people will watch it on the TV, we'll get a far better TV deal!

Except when the World cup is on and the European Championships, so even if we might see more people tuning in every second year to games, you can be sure that when major tournaments are on, nobody would give a monkeys about watching the SPFL!

Myth Number three - The weather during the Festive period is awful, its blizzard like, freezing, wet, windy and dark.

Hibs vs Rangers on Boxing Day and the NY Derby at the Pink Bus Shelter last season were both absolutely perfect days for football, sunny, calm, dry with nothing more than a wee chill in the air!

Contrast those days with the visits to Cowdenbeath in late Autumn and Alloa in early Spring, which would continue to be part of this brave new world of "Summer Football" :greengrin

1.Not sure the increased attendance at the Falkirk game is weather related, possibly more to do with people being sickened by the end of the previous season before realising we were actually going to play good football under Stubbsie?

2. The world cup/ euros are only on for a few weeks. Sky and BT resort to showing sterile friendly tournaments to feed an obvious demand. You would also have the climax of the season in October/November when there's nothing being decided anywhere else enabling the TV companies to drum up a bit excitement when not competing with English/Spanish/Champions League finales for attention.

3. I know our summers aren't that great but the weather is definitely better in June than it is in December!

LaMotta
10-06-2015, 12:19 PM
1.Not sure the increased attendance at the Falkirk game is weather related, possibly more to do with people being sickened by the end of the previous season before realising we were actually going to play good football under Stubbsie?

2. The world cup/ euros are only on for a few weeks. Sky and BT resort to showing sterile friendly tournaments to feed an obvious demand. You would also have the climax of the season in October/November when there's nothing being decided anywhere else enabling the TV companies to drum up a bit excitement when not competing with English/Spanish/Champions League finales for attention.

3. I know our summers aren't that great but the weather is definitely better in June than it is in December!

1. So therfore you are agreeing that a move to summer football would not necessarily bring about an increase in attendances, as people will choose to go to a game based on footballing reasons.

2. The world cup lasted nearly 5 weeks last year - more than a few weeks! I would also argue that there was more excitement in the English Premiership in October /November than there was in April/May - there was nothing of excitement at the tail end of the EPL to compete against this season.

3. Last Saturday was wet and very windy and not too warm either. The weather was certainly no better than the Boxing day or New Year day games last season :greengrin. Today is nice, but I bet its rubbish again on Saturday.

Haymaker
10-06-2015, 12:26 PM

1: People will return if we are playing good football, regardless of time of year.

2: We would be competing with major tournaments that last June - July, end of EPL/La Liga/CL is end of May, restarts in August. Not much time to capture and improve ratings. If the TV contract was to engage more viewers from down south it would not work as most people down here A) don't watch the friendly tournaments unless their team is in it or wont watch the friendly tournaments because they have other interests (golf, cricket, RL) or B) think Scottish football is utter *****, mickey mouse and "worse than Conference level football" (and that is a direct quote from someone I work with IN football.) Drumming up excitement during the EPL season? Who would watch Celtc walk the league over an EPL game in full swing down south?!

3: The weather is better in June, we might still have to play in December.

Ozyhibby
10-06-2015, 12:50 PM
Our chances of doing better in Europe would increase if we are playing half way through our season rather than it being the first game we play.

Haymaker
10-06-2015, 12:59 PM
Our chances of doing better in Europe would increase if we are playing half way through our season rather than it being the first game we play.

Possible, however we would have to qualify first of all so this is not an argument for Summer football.

Gatecrasher
10-06-2015, 01:12 PM
My least favourite part of the season is the towards the middle of January to the end of February, It's usually Baltic and it gets dark early and I usually give the mid week games a miss during this period. If we could work round that it would be great!

Christmas is a fun time for football but there doesn't seem to be the increase in crowds there used to be. Perhaps March until new year might be worth considering.

I think it should definitely be up for discussion though, There's nothing better than a lovely warm day at the football.

Golden Bear
10-06-2015, 05:11 PM
There's a fair chance that all the fixtures would have been cancelled due to inclement weather if Summer fitba had been in place last Saturday!

It's a no no from me. It's fine for the kids fixtures but there's too much competition from other sports/interests even to contemplate playing fitba during the so called summer months.

NAE NOOKIE
10-06-2015, 05:48 PM
Lets give it a try. If there is any chance it would improve crowds then it has to be looked at.

Ozyhibby
10-06-2015, 06:31 PM
Possible, however we would have to qualify first of all so this is not an argument for Summer football.

Sorry, I did not make myself clear, I did not just mean Hibs. I meant that the performances in Europe of all Scottish teams would improve if we had a summer football.

jacomo
10-06-2015, 06:41 PM
Sorry, I did not make myself clear, I did not just mean Hibs. I meant that the performances in Europe of all Scottish teams would improve if we had a summer football.

Up until Christmas, maybe. But you're pretty much writing off any chance of progressing further through the knock out stages, as they would start in off / pre season.

Ozyhibby
10-06-2015, 06:57 PM
Up until Christmas, maybe. But you're pretty much writing off any chance of progressing further through the knock out stages, as they would start in off / pre season.

Cross that bridge when we get to it?

Sir David Gray
10-06-2015, 07:00 PM
Waste of time.

Our weather in the summer is often very wet, windy and relatively cool. Whilst it's always going to be milder in June than it is in January, I just don't see the need for changing things.

As someone else has already said, changing to summer football will still mean that we'll play in the winter, it just won't be as much.

And I can see many people giving up season tickets as well as people have other activities that they do during the summer months, not to mention going away on holiday. If people know that they'll potentially miss four or five matches a season due to changing to summer football then they'll probably not bother buying a season ticket.

I also like the fixtures during Christmas and New Year and I think the winter months, with the long periods of darkness that we experience at that time of year, are depressing enough without missing out on the football as well.

It's a no from me.

bingo70
10-06-2015, 07:15 PM
Delighted if anything comes off this. I hate being cold.

Game that sums it up for me was the falkirk game last season. Finished 3 all and it was probably actually a very good game but I was bloody miserable as it was so cold. From the first minute I just wanted the game finished with and if I never had a season ticket there's pretty much no chance I'd have gone.

I might even buy a strip, don't bother now as I'd never wear it to games as for most of the season I've got about 8 layers on,

There's also the commercial benefits of not competing with the English league and offering a summer alternative to people who want their football fix all year round.

Swedish hibee
10-06-2015, 07:27 PM
Summer football works in Sweden where Swedish teams have progressed much further in European cup competitions than Scottish teams.
This is not a problem here, so why would it be a problem in Scotland? Poor argument against it from SFA.

I personally think Scotland is crazy not to have football during the summer season.

Sir David Gray
10-06-2015, 07:39 PM
Summer football works in Sweden where Swedish teams have progressed much further in European cup competitions than Scottish teams.
This is not a problem here, so why would it be a problem in Scotland? Poor argument against it from SFA.

I personally think Scotland is crazy not to have football during the summer season.

But the weather in Sweden during the winter months is often much worse than it is in Scotland, in terms of the temperature and the amount of snow. Playing football in Sweden durin the winter months would be very difficult.

lord bunberry
10-06-2015, 08:03 PM

And why is it not a problem for the Swedish national team regarding international fixtures? I'm all for giving it a go, if it doesn't work we could always switch back. It's madness that we're not playing when the weather is best.

Eyrie
10-06-2015, 08:13 PM
We could play during the summer, when it is cool and raining, or during the winter, when it is freezing and raining. Hmmm, even a Yam could work that one out.

I think this could tie into changing the league structure. If we move to a 18 team top flight then there will be four fewer match days to fit in, which reduces the issue of clashes with international or European football. The season could start a couple of weeks earlier and finish a couple of weeks later to provide a break for World Cups and European Championships.

Haymaker
10-06-2015, 08:17 PM

Would they? The team would still need to win games which would be a 50% chance at best. Scottish teams could still fall out at the first stage. So I disagree it would bring better results in europe.

CropleyWasGod
10-06-2015, 08:19 PM
And why is it not a problem for the Swedish national team regarding international fixtures? I'm all for giving it a go, if it doesn't work we could always switch back. It's madness that we're not playing when the weather is best.
Possibly because most of them play abroad?

Haymaker
10-06-2015, 08:20 PM
We could play during the summer, when it is cool and raining, or during the winter, when it is freezing and raining. Hmmm, even a Yam could work that one out.

I think this could tie into changing the league structure. If we move to a 18 team top flight then there will be four fewer match days to fit in, which reduces the issue of clashes with international or European football. The season could start a couple of weeks earlier and finish a couple of weeks later to provide a break for World Cups and European Championships.

We would still play in the cold of winter.

Haymaker
10-06-2015, 08:22 PM
Delighted if anything comes off this. I hate being cold.

Game that sums it up for me was the falkirk game last season. Finished 3 all and it was probably actually a very good game but I was bloody miserable as it was so cold. From the first minute I just wanted the game finished with and if I never had a season ticket there's pretty much no chance I'd have gone.

I might even buy a strip, don't bother now as I'd never wear it to games as for most of the season I've got about 8 layers on,

There's also the commercial benefits of not competing with the English league and offering a summer alternative to people who want their football fix all year round.

You will still be cold

Haymaker
10-06-2015, 08:23 PM
Lets give it a try. If there is any chance it would improve crowds then it has to be looked at.

Better football improves crowds. Not weather.

bingo70
10-06-2015, 08:25 PM
You will still be cold

But less cold and not as often.

Haymaker
10-06-2015, 08:32 PM
But less cold and not as often.

Really? I would say that pre season (who would we play?!) starting in January... Season ending in late november? Reckon it would work out the same.

bingo70
10-06-2015, 08:34 PM
Better football improves crowds. Not weather.

I think they're both a factor abd fixing one won't solve all the problems in our game.

I've got mates that are your typical hampden day out hibs fans and there's been loads of games they've spoken about going to Easter road but woke up on the day of the game and looked at the weather and thought **** that then decided to stay in the pub instead.

I know there'll still be the issue of the rain but if we want to attract fair weather fans back we need to play when the weather is fairer!

Haymaker
10-06-2015, 08:38 PM
I think they're both a factor abd fixing one won't solve all the problems in our game.

I've got mates that are your typical hampden day out hibs fans and there's been loads of games they've spoken about going to Easter road but woke up on the day of the game and looked at the weather and thought **** that then decided to stay in the pub instead.

I know there'll still be the issue of the rain but if we want to attract fair weather fans back we need to play when the weather is fairer!

No we need to play better football. Winning football. Playing over june and july (we are bsck playing at the end of July!) wont make a diffetence. Not enough to make a switch.

I said it earlier but no one wants to argue it. Whst ACTUAL change would summer football bring?

Sir David Gray
10-06-2015, 08:42 PM

I'm sure that if we moved to summer football, those who are currently staying away because of the winter weather would find another reason to not go, maybe the seats would be too hard for them or there would be too much dough in the pizzas.

Haymaker
10-06-2015, 08:47 PM
I'm sure that if we moved to summer football, those who are currently staying away because of the winter weather would find another reason to not go, maybe the seats would be too hard for them or there would be too much dough in the pizzas.

This.

The same problems in scotland will continue. Summer football changes nothing.

hibbytam
10-06-2015, 08:53 PM
for:
- a higher chance of having games in nice weather, so attracting more fans along.
- Better pitches, as the grass is growing in the summer
- This *might* lead to better football being played, particularly if we're not playing in howling gales etc.
= gives the game a unique selling point, particularly for TV coverage

against:
- Tradition, particularly the loss of christmas/new year games, and possibly moving the SC final to later in the year.
- Possible problems attracting players here out of sync to the English season.
- It's Scotland, summer weather can be pish too.
- Clash with summer internationals, particularly world cups and Euro championships.

I think i'm broadly in favour of trying it. There have certainly been games I've attended mid winter that I've really wondered why i've bothered(though that might be as much to do with Hibs as anything).

Haymaker
10-06-2015, 08:57 PM
Better pitches... When we rip them up in feb and when we end in Nov. When grass doesnt grow. Yep.

Better football due to better pitches... Only if the players (and teams) want to play "better football".

bingo70
10-06-2015, 09:01 PM
No we need to play better football. Winning football. Playing over june and july (we are bsck playing at the end of July!) wont make a diffetence. Not enough to make a switch.

I said it earlier but no one wants to argue it. Whst ACTUAL change would summer football bring?

Less games postponed, playing games when it's lighter so more kids may go, better pitches, not competing with English football for viewers or the prime tv slots, potentially better merchandise sales if people think they may get to wear the stuff to games more often.

I'm sure you'll be able to provide counter arguments to all my points but If you always do what you've always done you'll always get what you've always got and Scottish football is in decline, we need to try something different imo.

I bet rugby league had similar discussions before moving to a summer sport and it's done them the world of good
I think there could be comparisons here.

Diclonius
10-06-2015, 09:09 PM
I'd be in favour of summer football on the TV issue alone. Football would never end and my partner would be furious. :aok:

hibbytam
10-06-2015, 09:13 PM
Better pitches... When we rip them up in feb and when we end in Nov. When grass doesnt grow. Yep.

Better football due to better pitches... Only if the players (and teams) want to play "better football".

Don't we normally relay our pitch off season?

and yeah, it would need players and teams to allow the skill & quality level to improve. But atleast it would give better footballers a chance to play on a reasonable pitch, and not a mud patch.

Swedish hibee
10-06-2015, 09:14 PM

And most of the Scottish team don't play their football in Scotland either, so they play to a different standard also...

I don't get the point your trying to make :confused:

Diclonius
10-06-2015, 09:14 PM
A question - if we do switch to summer football, how will the transition happen? Will there be no football from June to January or will we extend the season to run for over a year?

Haymaker
10-06-2015, 09:15 PM
Less games postponed, playing games when it's lighter so more kids may go, better pitches, not competing with English football for viewers or the prime tv slots, potentially better merchandise sales if people think they may get to wear the stuff to games more often.

I'm sure you'll be able to provide counter arguments to all my points but If you always do what you've always done you'll always get what you've always got and Scottish football is in decline, we need to try something different imo.

I bet rugby league had similar discussions before moving to a summer sport and it's done them the world of good

How many games were called off this season for Hibs?

Better pitches. We would start and end when the grass doesnt grow,not the best.

Changing to summer football changes nothing.

We will not gain a significant amount of English viewers. I work in football in England and most of my friends are English. We are a mickey mouse league.

I am 100% on developing scottish football. However changing to summer is not the answer everyone seems to think it is.

Haymaker
10-06-2015, 09:19 PM
Don't we normally relay our pitch off season?

and yeah, it would need players and teams to allow the skill & quality level to improve. But atleast it would give better footballers a chance to play on a reasonable pitch, and not a mud patch.

We relay the pitch over the summer.

If we ended the season in november snd started in Feb (when grass doesnt grow) we eould need the UV lights that cost a fortune.

Still I guess everyone turning up when it maybe sunny pays for that right?

cabbageandribs1875
10-06-2015, 09:19 PM
summer fitbaw....oh yes please :agree: wouldn't mind seeing a poll involving different age groups thoughts, remember yer skin gets thinner as we age and i bet i'm not the only one that's ever decided not to go to a game because it was baltic outside, i mind a night game at fir park just a few seasons back and i sat shivering from start to finish...not very comfortable at all...i'd rather sit in warm rain than snow and freezing cold wind :greengrin

Sir David Gray
10-06-2015, 09:22 PM

The only months where we wouldn't be competing with English football for viewers would be June and July and as someone has already said, every other year we would be competing with the European Championships and the World Cup during those months.

Haymaker
10-06-2015, 09:25 PM
The only months where we wouldn't be competing with English football for viewers would be June and July and as someone has already said, every other year we would be competing with the European Championships and the World Cup during those months.

And fighting for English viewers against cricket and RL

bingo70
10-06-2015, 09:28 PM

We will not gain a significant amount of English viewers. I work in football in England and most of my friends are English. We are a mickey mouse league.

I am 100% on developing scottish football. However changing to summer is not the answer everyone seems to think it is.

It wouldn't just be hibs games that were moved, how many games in Scottish football were called off this year? Was a pretty mild winter but I'd still say it was a significant number.

Scottish football could improve its quality 10 fold but it would still be ridiculed as it'd still get compared to English football as long as we are vying for the same viewers at the same time as the premiership. We also don't get the air time to promote our game as we're competing for time with the premiership, which will always take precedent.

Lack of undersoil heating and floodlights ate two other significant costs the club would save on.

Appreciate you don't want summer football and I know I'll never win you round, I think it was you that said earlier that you'd not seen any arguments for the benefits. There clearly are plenty that it would bring, whether they're enough to outweigh the counter arguments you've provided remains to be seen but I personally think the club's have very little to lose by trying it and potentially a huge amount to gain if it was to work.

bingo70
10-06-2015, 09:30 PM
We relay the pitch over the summer.

If we ended the season in november snd started in Feb (when grass doesnt grow) we eould need the UV lights that cost a fortune.

Still I guess everyone turning up when it maybe sunny pays for that right?

If it wasn't getting cut up so badly every winter would it need relaid every year?

That's a genuine question by the way, not
Claiming it wouldn't.

SquashedFrogg
10-06-2015, 09:37 PM
And fighting for English viewers against cricket and RL

Balanced against the number of people who would rather sit at home and watch Man Utd v Liverpool? (alternative suggestions are available)

Crowds are dwindling, sponsorship/TV money is almost non-existent, Europe isn't factor anymore.. For me, I'd welcome any attempt to improve our game...

Lets face it.... Scottish football needs a change. Why not even try it?

Just my opinion

Lago
10-06-2015, 09:37 PM

Yes we are a mickey mouse league, but there is no way we should be worried about what they think down south our football is of absolutely no interest to them and to think of planning a league around English opinion is complete nonsense.

itslegaltender
10-06-2015, 09:40 PM
That first away match to Cowdenbeath convinced me that summer football would be a great way forward for Scottish football.

weecounty hibby
10-06-2015, 09:46 PM

Give us another suggestion then. I have watched Hibs play in some really ****ty, freezing cold weather and on some pitches that looked like tatty fields. Summer football is a great idea and I would prefer to be able to go to the majority of fixtures without four or five layers of clothes.
Also coaching youngsters. What would you rather do as a kid, go out onto the sleet/snow/rain to do drills on a muddy wet pitch while having to wear hat, gloves and under armour. Or be able to go out in the sunshine onto flat surfaces wearing shorts and tshirt and be able to feel your toes as it was above -5 degrees. We need change in this country and I think we need to move on from playing in winter just cos we always have

mca
10-06-2015, 09:47 PM
If it Aint Broke.. Don't Fix it !!!

How Long has Scottish Fitba Been Played they way it is Now ???

Think its Maybe the Customer That's Broken.. maybe also Stony Broke too !!!! :wink:

Eyrie
10-06-2015, 09:59 PM
If it wasn't getting cut up so badly every winter would it need relaid every year?

Claiming it wouldn't.

I'll add in that the undersoil heating doesn't help the grass either (not to mention the cost of it both financially and to the environment).

SquashedFrogg
10-06-2015, 10:05 PM
If it Aint Broke.. Don't Fix it !!!

How Long has Scottish Fitba Been Played they way it is Now ???

Think its Maybe the Customer That's Broken.. maybe also Stony Broke too !!!! :wink:

I'd say Scottish 'Fitba' is broke.... And needs fixing...

Maybe I'm missing something and I hope you can correct me but as I see it, our game is crap and has been for a while...

Crowd numbers, sponsorship revenue, European success, National team success etc proves this for me.

Maybe the customer needs a different option? The prices are never going to reduce so we need to at least try something else?

jacomo
10-06-2015, 10:06 PM

We'd only be 'not competing' with English football for 2 months at best - and every 2 years an international tournament would fill a month of that.

Andy74
10-06-2015, 10:08 PM
But the weather in Sweden during the winter months is often much worse than it is in Scotland, in terms of the temperature and the amount of snow. Playing football in Sweden durin the winter months would be very difficult.

Yep. Winters much worse and summers much better. The Scandinavian countries also have very active winter sports participation. What do we have instead of football in the winter other than depression?!

SquashedFrogg
10-06-2015, 10:12 PM
We'd only be 'not competing' with English football for 2 months at best - and every 2 years an international tournament would fill a month of that.

Why are people worrying about what other countries think? As pointed out earlier by another poster - they don't give two hoots about our game.. (I've plenty first hand experience of this)

For me this is about encouraging 'Scottish fans' to go along and watch their teams...

Sir David Gray
10-06-2015, 10:15 PM
Why are people worrying about what other countries think? As pointed out earlier by another poster - they don't give two hoots about our game.. (I've plenty first hand experience of this)

For me this is about encouraging 'Scottish fans' to go along and watch their teams...

From what I can see, it appears to be those who are in favour of moving to summer football who are concerned with our popularity compared with English football as this is one of the reasons put forward in support for changing the season.

lord bunberry
10-06-2015, 10:20 PM
That probably applies to us as well if you count England as abroad:greengrin

bingo70
10-06-2015, 10:20 PM
From what I can see, it appears to be those who are in favour of moving to summer football who are concerned with our popularity compared with English football as this is one of the reasons put forward in support for changing the season.

I'm probably guilty of giving that impression but the poster you've quoted is right. I don't think it's likely many kids from Manchester will pick up a Scottish team but if kids in Edinburgh could go to a hibs game without it meaning they'd miss Chelsea man utd then we'd stand a better chance of getting them along.

I realise that might only be for a month or two but maybe that's the short term boost that would be needed to kick start the league here.

SquashedFrogg
10-06-2015, 10:29 PM

For me I just don't understand why we should even bring English football into the discussion?

This is Scottish football and its future should be considered with Scottish football at its core.

English football does not support or contribute (if it did we'd be in a far better position) to our game so shouldn't be a factor.

Everything points to some sort of radical change (at least try something) to try and fill our stadiums, improve the atmosphere, make fans want to come back.

Revolution required perhaps

Carheenlea
10-06-2015, 10:30 PM
It`s a no for me. Football from June - August would have take a back seat over days out with a young family, golf and holidays to name three clashes for myself. I miss a few games as it stands with my season ticket, but if we were to move to summer football I would not buy one.

Summer football in Scotland would be a one way road to Mickey Mouse status, just like the League of Ireland.

SquashedFrogg
10-06-2015, 10:36 PM
It`s a no for me. Football from June - August would have take a back seat over days out with a young family, golf and holidays to name three clashes for myself. I miss a few games as it stands with my season ticket, but if we were to move to summer football I would not buy one.

Summer football in Scotland would be a one way road to Mickey Mouse status, just like the League of Ireland.

Take your young family along to the Easter Road on a nice sunny day? They may enjoy it? Play golf when Hibs aren't playing? You miss a few games anyway so a holiday won't make a huge difference? Maybe tourists into the city would take your seat while you're away?

Ireland can't be used as a comparison.

jacomo
10-06-2015, 10:48 PM
I'm probably guilty of giving that impression but the poster you've quoted is right. I don't think it's likely many kids from Manchester will pick up a Scottish team but if kids in Edinburgh could go to a hibs game without it meaning they'd miss Chelsea man utd then we'd stand a better chance of getting them along.

I realise that might only be for a month or two but maybe that's the short term boost that would be needed to kick start the league here.

Aye maybe.

Personally I am sceptical about summer football - none of the 'big' leagues do it and I think it would lead to a further marginalisation of our game.

I am, however, following the debate with interest and willing to be persuaded of its merits. But the idea that moving to a March-November calendar would mean we don't compete with English football (by which we mean the EPL) anymore is just not true. There might be a couple of months, every other year, when there is a window, but for the rest of the time the fixtures would clash - but out of sync.

The EPL has become a monster. I think the right response is to capitalise on our proximity and ties to the English game as one of our strengths.

overdrive
11-06-2015, 06:18 AM
Basically we'd be swapping football in Nov and Dec for Jun and Jul. the weather argument doesn't hold. The only two Hibs games I can recall being postponed or abandoned in semi recent years were in July! The winter break wasn't exactly a success either.

I'd personally not be able to make as many games so I'd give up my season ticket.

We wouldn't get a better TV deal as the English just aren't interested in our game. As to the point that Sky and BT resort to showing friendlies during the summer. These involve top teams. If they really wanted competitive football during the off season just now they could be buying rights to the League of Ireland. They don't as far as I'm aware.

marinello59
11-06-2015, 06:35 AM
Basically we'd be swapping football in Nov and Dec for Jun and Jul. the weather argument doesn't hold. The only two Hibs games I can recall being postponed or abandoned in semi recent years were in July! The winter break wasn't exactly a success either.

I'd personally not be able to make as many games so I'd give up my season ticket.

We wouldn't get a better TV deal as the English just aren't interested in our game. As to the point that Sky and BT resort to showing friendlies during the summer. These involve top teams. If they really wanted competitive football during the off season just now they could be buying rights to the League of Ireland. They don't as far as I'm aware.

Doesn't it? it's about much more than how many games get postponed or abandoned. It's about the general conditions our football is played and watched in.
Are you saying that our league is not more attractive to broadcasters than the league of Ireland?

Danderhall Hibs
11-06-2015, 06:36 AM
Am I reading this right? Folk are saying generally that the weather in the winter isn't that different to the summer?

Have a look out the window.

dangermouse
11-06-2015, 07:28 AM
Maybe what's needed is the season to start a bit earlier and have more midweek games between July and September. This would allow the possibility of a winter break (although that can be hit or miss in this country). A slightly earlier start may help clubs in the earlier stages of European competitions.

The league also need to sort out the play offs and cup games so we don't have the scenario of a team possibly playing in a cup final on the Saturday and play off final the next day!

My_Wife_Camille
11-06-2015, 07:32 AM
No from me. I like it the way it is, simple as that!

Alan62
11-06-2015, 07:33 AM
The coldest I felt at any match this season was the final game at Falkirk. It was in May. Freaking freezing with the wind howling through the stadium.

Moulin Yarns
11-06-2015, 07:40 AM
Do you think if we change to summer football we would have a chance of winning the World Cup in Qatar in 2022 by being more acclimatised to the temperatures? :wink:

Danderhall Hibs
11-06-2015, 08:00 AM
Maybe what's needed is the season to start a bit earlier and have more midweek games between July and September. This would allow the possibility of a winter break (although that can be hit or miss in this country). A slightly earlier start may help clubs in the earlier stages of European competitions.

The league also need to sort out the play offs and cup games so we don't have the scenario of a team possibly playing in a cup final on the Saturday and play off final the next day!

I've thought that for a long time. A few more Wednesday night games in the summer/autumn then the same again in spring.

liamh2202
11-06-2015, 08:14 AM
It wouldn't just be hibs games that were moved, how many games in Scottish football were called off this year? Was a pretty mild winter but I'd still say it was a significant number.

Scottish football could improve its quality 10 fold but it would still be ridiculed as it'd still get compared to English football as long as we are vying for the same viewers at the same time as the premiership. We also don't get the air time to promote our game as we're competing for time with the premiership, which will always take precedent.

Lack of undersoil heating and floodlights ate two other significant costs the club would save on.

Appreciate you don't want summer football and I know I'll never win you round, I think it was you that said earlier that you'd not seen any arguments for the benefits. There clearly are plenty that it would bring, whether they're enough to outweigh the counter arguments you've provided remains to be seen but I personally think the club's have very little to lose by trying it and potentially a huge amount to gain if it was to work.

I really don't know what I would prefer. Just wondering though. How many of the games calles off this year were in Dec for Jan. The one that sticks in my mind was huns v hearts in the snow but was that not Feb or even march ?

liamh2202
11-06-2015, 08:16 AM
That first away match to Cowdenbeath convinced me that summer football would be a great way forward for Scottish football.

I agree it was a nightmare but that could still happen as a game in Nov or Feb

Andy74
11-06-2015, 08:18 AM
Am I reading this right? Folk are saying generally that the weather in the winter isn't that different to the summer?

Have a look out the window.

You'd only get people saying it's too nice and that they would need to go to the beach with their families. I use the summer to go away at weekends. That would be a couple of season tickets lost or I swap having fun with the family in summer to sitting depressed in the house with them in the winter!

scoopyboy
11-06-2015, 08:25 AM
Silly question, how do you switch from the seasons we have now to summer football?

A season finishes towards the end of May, so when would your first season of summer football start?

Golden Bear
11-06-2015, 08:28 AM
Silly question, how do you switch from the seasons we have now to summer football?

A season finishes towards the end of May, so when would your first season of summer football start?

That's a key question, which to date, nobody has come up with a credible answer.

Bobby's Cinema
11-06-2015, 09:10 AM

That's a key question, which to date, nobody has come up with a credible answer.
How about a total overhaul and a look at combining the switch to summer football with league reconstruction to a 16 team league. This would reduce the fixture list with only playing 30 games in a season and leave room for the change?

We are miles away from this. I am willing to be convinced but winter without the football is a no from me.

Sir David Gray
11-06-2015, 09:17 AM

I would imagine we would just have a break until February the following year, assuming that the summer season would run from February to November.

CropleyWasGod
11-06-2015, 09:26 AM
And most of the Scottish team don't play their football in Scotland either, so they play to a different standard also...

I don't get the point your trying to make :confused:

Not sure I do either :greengrin

Think it went something like this....

The Swedish national team does ok, competition-wise, because most of its players play abroad in leagues that are winter-based. So the fact that its domestic league is summer-based has little effect on the national team.

I think.....

Moulin Yarns
11-06-2015, 09:37 AM
I really don't know what I would prefer. Just wondering though. How many of the games calles off this year were in Dec for Jan. The one that sticks in my mind was huns v hearts in the snow but was that not Feb or even march ?

January 16th. I was in Glasgow that night and it was horrendous. The snow was pretty bad too :greengrin

lord bunberry
11-06-2015, 10:13 AM
You'd only get people saying it's too nice and that they would need to go to the beach with their families. I use the summer to go away at weekends. That would be a couple of season tickets lost or I swap having fun with the family in summer to sitting depressed in the house with them in the winter!
Go on holiday in the winter then. I've never understood why so many people go abroad when the weather here is at its best. I was in lanzarote a couple of years ago in January and it was roasting hot.

liamh2202
11-06-2015, 11:17 AM
January 16th. I was in Glasgow that night and it was horrendous. The snow was pretty bad too :greengrin

Excuse my memory getting on a bit lol

scoopyboy
11-06-2015, 11:36 AM
I would imagine we would just have a break until February the following year, assuming that the summer season would run from February to November.

Can't see clubs paying wages from end of May til the following February for no return.

Not knocking your theory as I can't think of anything better.

scoopyboy
11-06-2015, 11:38 AM
Go on holiday in the winter then. I've never understood why so many people go abroad when the weather here is at its best. I was in lanzarote a couple of years ago in January and it was roasting hot.

Some people have kids that are school which makes it more difficult.

Other than that you have a fair point.

Andy74
11-06-2015, 11:43 AM

I'm talking about here not necessarily going abroad.

People use weekends to do things in Scotland in the summer, as you say, when the weather allows us to do that. Options for stuff to do in Scotland in the winter are minimal and getting wrapped up and going to the football is fine by me.

Winter holidays abroad are a bit less easy to do with families as you have less weeks where schools are out. You also have less, not non existent but less cheap options for the masses in winter sun as they tend to be decent distances South and East.

Haymaker
11-06-2015, 02:30 PM

I don't know how many were called at lower levels. However the league would run from Feb to Nov - IF we have a terrible February or March we could still see lots of games called off? Or a awful November would see the end of the season disrupted. Football is played outside and is effected by the weather, if it sucks in June we could have called off games.

Changing to a summer league gives us a very small window, every other year, without EPL football. People use this argument to suggest we would get millions of people suddenly watching the games and therefore improve Scottish football. The majority of people down here wont watch it regardless. That is always my return.

We would still need floodlights for early season games and late season games and I reckon we would use them roughly the same amount. Undersoil heating as well if February and March are especially cold.

I don't see the benefits of changing to summer football as they would still be the same problems.

Haymaker
11-06-2015, 02:31 PM
Yes we are a mickey mouse league, but there is no way we should be worried about what they think down south our football is of absolutely no interest to them and to think of planning a league around English opinion is complete nonsense.

But a lot of people use the argument that switching to summer football would see more people down south watching it. They wont.

Haymaker
11-06-2015, 02:32 PM

Claiming it wouldn't.

It would be cut up at the start and the end of every season, where it wouldn't be growing and would cost to repair in time for the new season. So the costs would STILL be there to work on the pitch, it wouldn't suddenly become a carpet all year round!

Haymaker
11-06-2015, 02:38 PM
Give us another suggestion then. I have watched Hibs play in some really ****ty, freezing cold weather and on some pitches that looked like tatty fields. Summer football is a great idea and I would prefer to be able to go to the majority of fixtures without four or five layers of clothes.
Also coaching youngsters. What would you rather do as a kid, go out onto the sleet/snow/rain to do drills on a muddy wet pitch while having to wear hat, gloves and under armour. Or be able to go out in the sunshine onto flat surfaces wearing shorts and tshirt and be able to feel your toes as it was above -5 degrees. We need change in this country and I think we need to move on from playing in winter just cos we always have

I have given many suggestions on these threads whenever they appear. Here are some:

For development of youth: Indoor facilities that can be used all year round and always perfect. I used these in the US (most are council owned and operated). Smaller sided games. More sports (not just football) in schools. A league that will actually attempt to develop players rather than getting in the cloggers.

The problems in our game result from the GFA, the bigot brothers and the old boy network at hampden. Every thing that is decided in our game is to benefit one if not both of the bigots. Changing to summer football will not change this. It would just mean a few games in the sun.

People will return to watch Scottish football when teams are entertaining and competing. For that too happen a lot more would have to change than just moving to summer football.

lord bunberry
11-06-2015, 04:16 PM
I'm talking about here not necessarily going abroad.

People use weekends to do things in Scotland in the summer, as you say, when the weather allows us to do that. Options for stuff to do in Scotland in the winter are minimal and getting wrapped up and going to the football is fine by me.

Winter holidays abroad are a bit less easy to do with families as you have less weeks where schools are out. You also have less, not non existent but less cheap options for the masses in winter sun as they tend to be decent distances South and East.
You paint a very bleak picture of winter life in Scotland. There's loads to do, cinema, bowling, swimming, museums, deep sea world, dynamic earth the list is endless when it comes to things to do in the winter.

Golden Bear
11-06-2015, 05:20 PM
Never mind summer fitba, I just received an e mail from a Hotel advertising their Christmas party nights!

:grr:

Kavinho
11-06-2015, 05:56 PM
Never mind summer fitba, I just received an e mail from a Hotel advertising their Christmas party nights!

:grr:
Better book up quick..

Eyrie
11-06-2015, 07:08 PM

The simple solution would be to play an abbreviated season, when teams only play each other twice rather than four times. There would only be one cup competition as well - probably the League Cup due to the extra rounds required for the Scottish Cup.

Then the new season stars in February. Play the League Cup during the spring for a summer final, and the Scottish Cup in the summer and autumn.

Swedish hibee
11-06-2015, 08:58 PM
Summer football HAS to be the way for Scotland... The Malmo game still haunts me. And gives many Swede's a laugh.

Haymaker
11-06-2015, 09:06 PM
Summer football HAS to be the way for Scotland... The Malmo games still haunts me. And gives many Swede's a laugh.

Why? Because on the odd occasion we appear in europe we will be better prepared?

So that would solve the bigot twins hold football? It would help solve the chronic lack of proper all year round facilities? That would solve the lack of a proper reserve league to help introduce young to full mens level football?

Alfred E Newman
11-06-2015, 09:07 PM
The coldest I was all season was at Falkirk in May.

Sir David Gray
11-06-2015, 09:15 PM

:agree: Not so bad when I was in the stadium during the game but whilst queuing up outside to get in, the wind could have cut you in half and I was struggling to feel my fingers.

bingo70
11-06-2015, 09:18 PM
Why? Because on the odd occasion we appear in europe we will be better prepared?

So that would solve the bigot twins hold football? It would help solve the chronic lack of proper all year round facilities? That would solve the lack of a proper reserve league to help introduce young to full mens level football?

There's plenty examples on this thread of why it could benefit our game. Like anything there's counter arguments against it as well.

Imo you've decided you don't want it abd simply aren't willing to look at any potential positives.

I think Scottish football is in such decline it's worth considering, nobody is saying it's going to cure all the faults with our game but I don't see the harm in trying it. It might not be the success some of us think it will be but I don't think it'll make our game any worse so why not give it a go. If it doesn't work e could just move it back.

Danderhall Hibs
11-06-2015, 09:25 PM

Just a recent example of being cold - not the coldest you were all season. It wasn't colder than in the winter.

jockodile
11-06-2015, 09:26 PM
plenty of countries use summer and winter for different sports.
here in Aus football and cricket are summer games, whilst rugby and AFL are winter games - this works well
same deal in likes of Canada with baseball over the summer and icehockey in winter.

people look forward to the new 'season' and the change.

in Scotland we only really have football and for many reasons, not just uncompetitive to win it, it can become a bit tedious and introspective.

if summer football got the nod it could reinvigorate, but there would need to be something else to concentrate minds in dark January days.

Is it unthinkable to see likes of the Edinburgh capitals become a genuine mainstream thing?

FranckSuzy
11-06-2015, 09:31 PM

The coldest I felt at any match this season was the final game at Falkirk. It was in May. Freaking freezing with the wind howling through the stadium.

:agree: Not so bad when I was in the stadium during the game but whilst queuing up outside to get in, the wind could have cut you in half and I was struggling to feel my fingers.

Just a recent example of being cold - not the coldest you were all season. It wasn't colder than in the winter.

I agree with the 3 posters above you. Whilst the temperature might not have been as low as games in say, Jan/Feb, it certainly felt colder. Given the match was in May, no doubt people dressed accordingly (plus it was sunny-ish when we left Edinburgh) and the ground is wide open on one side so yes, it feel "colder" to some.

southern hibby
11-06-2015, 09:33 PM

It would bring in ( in my opinion ) more coverage from other countries as football fans would go to the pub to watch TV during their break. This would mean an increase in TV revenue and sponsorship money.

Still think the argument for outweighs the argument against.
GGTTH

Haymaker
11-06-2015, 09:36 PM
There's plenty examples on this thread of why it could benefit our game. Like anything there's counter arguments against it as well.

Imo you've decided you don't want it abd simply aren't willing to look at any potential positives.

I think Scottish football is in such decline it's worth considering, nobody is saying it's going to cure all the faults with our game but I don't see the harm in trying it. It might not be the success some of us think it will be but I don't think it'll make our game any worse so why not give it a go. If it doesn't work e could just move it back.

I am quite happy to see potential positives. I just do not believe they exist enough to change football to a "summer" calender.

All it would do is change the start and end time of football.

There are more important issues to deal with to improve scottish football. Changing summer football is not the answer.

.Sean.
11-06-2015, 11:13 PM
Waste of time.

Our weather in the summer is often very wet, windy and relatively cool. Whilst it's always going to be milder in June than it is in January, I just don't see the need for changing things.

As someone else has already said, changing to summer football will still mean that we'll play in the winter, it just won't be as much.

And I can see many people giving up season tickets as well as people have other activities that they do during the summer months, not to mention going away on holiday. If people know that they'll potentially miss four or five matches a season due to changing to summer football then they'll probably not bother buying a season ticket.

I also like the fixtures during Christmas and New Year and I think the winter months, with the long periods of darkness that we experience at that time of year, are depressing enough without missing out on the football as well.

It's a no from me.amen. Summer football isn't for me.

Haymaker
12-06-2015, 02:10 PM
It would bring in ( in my opinion ) more coverage from other countries as football fans would go to the pub to watch TV during their break. This would mean an increase in TV revenue and sponsorship money.

Still think the argument for outweighs the argument against.
GGTTH

There is football on now, no one is watching it in my local. I have been in a few times and had to remind the landlord that a game was on. Most people are not interested in Scottish football and this would not change after the EPL and other leagues end.

If there was such a demand, why isn't the LoI or Scandinavian football already on?

Alfred E Newman
12-06-2015, 06:01 PM
There is football on now, no one is watching it in my local. I have been in a few times and had to remind the landlord that a game was on. Most people are not interested in Scottish football and this would not change after the EPL and other leagues end.

If there was such a demand, why isn't the LoI or Scandinavian football already on?

Spot on. The idea that TV companies would be falling over themselves to cover Scottish games for a few weeks during June/July is just pie in the sky. If we do get really good weather during these months there are lots better things to do than watch football on the TV.

marinello59
12-06-2015, 06:13 PM
Spot on. The idea that TV companies would be falling over themselves to cover Scottish games for a few weeks during June/July is just pie in the sky. If we do get really good weather during these months there are lots better things to do than watch football on the TV.

Nobody has said that TV companies will be falling over themselves. It should be possible to negotiate a better TV deal though. Trashing any change by exaggerating the claims being made for that change is yet another symptom of the ultra conservatism of so many Scottish football fans.

3pm
12-06-2015, 06:15 PM

Think you drink too much H!! :o)

Bishop Hibee
12-06-2015, 06:21 PM
I'd stop getting a season ticket or share one as I'd miss too many games over the summer. Big no from me.

Haymaker
12-06-2015, 06:24 PM
Nobody has said that TV companies will be falling over themselves. It should be possible to negotiate a better TV deal though. Trashing any change by exaggerating the claims being made for that change is yet another symptom of the ultra conservatism of so many Scottish football fans.

I dont see how we would get a better deal. We would be filling a small gap every two years. The majority of the season would still be in competition with the bigger, better leagues. Why would SKY etc give us a better deal for only a few weeks every other year?

Haymaker
12-06-2015, 06:25 PM
Think you drink too much H!! :o)

I dont! Honest! :greengrin

bingo70
12-06-2015, 06:47 PM
I dont see how we would get a better deal. We would be filling a small gap every two years. The majority of the season would still be in competition with the bigger, better leagues. Why would SKY etc give us a better deal for only a few weeks every other year?

Because we'd be filling a gap when there's no other football on so it'd be in there interests to make it a better product.

Do you think we'd get a worse deal?

Haymaker
12-06-2015, 07:01 PM
Because we'd be filling a gap when there's no other football on so it'd be in there interests to make it a better product.

Do you think we'd get a worse deal?

There is summer football on at the moment, if there was a demand for it then it would be on. It isnt. Because there isnt.

I dont believe we would get a worse deal, it wont be much better if at all.

And will a tv deal change the major problems in the scottish game?

bingo70
12-06-2015, 08:23 PM
There is summer football on at the moment, if there was a demand for it then it would be on. It isnt. Because there isnt.

I dont believe we would get a worse deal, it wont be much better if at all.

And will a tv deal change the major problems in the scottish game?

I don't mean this to sound disrespectful as I agreed with your suggestions about more indoor facilities and getting rid of the old firm (think that was you) but imo you care too much what English people think. I personally don't give a monkeys what they think, even if we were to improve our product 10 fold they still wouldn't be interested abd I wouldn't blame them as it wouldn't be as good as their own league. What Scottish football needs to do is get young Scottish kids going to watch hibs Aberdeen games instead of watching Chelsea man u on the Tele.

As I said I agree with you regarding what is required for the long term fix but if the Scottish game doesn't get a short term boost from somewhere then by the time we see the benefits of indoor facilities it could be too late for our game.

lord bunberry
13-06-2015, 12:41 AM

There would be far more demand for Scottish games than there would be for Irish or Swedish football. If Scottish football was only watched in Scotland, Sky wouldn't bother with it.

Swedish hibee
13-06-2015, 08:34 PM
There would be far more demand for Scottish games than there would be for Irish or Swedish football. If Scottish football was only watched in Scotland, Sky wouldn't bother with it.

:tsk tsk: Don't knock Swedish football people!

Mr White
13-06-2015, 08:44 PM
:tsk tsk: Don't knock Swedish football people!

Saying there isn't much interest in it for uk tv isn't really knocking it? Any hibs fan knocking swedish football would have a short memory of course, but then nobody here has knocked it.

There's world football on tv readily avaliable 24 7 365 but the reality for most folk is that if it isn't't local then it isn't't interesting.

Phil MaGlass
13-06-2015, 09:16 PM
Summer fitba, bring it on, Scottish fitba is in bad need of change and this would be a good thing for it. Why could we not make more from tv, advertising and sponsors. Would I rather watch fitba in the summer with 12 degrees stadiums with cold wind and sun or watch the game with hail, snow, freezing rain, wind at -2, I know what I would choose. Today was 23 degrees in Holland a saturday, bloody great to have went to a game without freezing my nackers off. What was the temperature in Edinburgh today.

FranckSuzy
13-06-2015, 09:19 PM
Summer fitba, bring it on, Scottish fitba is in bad need of change and this would be a good thing for it. Why could we not make more from tv, advertising and sponsors. Would I rather watch fitba in the summer with 12 degrees stadiums with cold wind and sun or watch the game with hail, snow, freezing rain, wind at -2, I know what I would choose. Today was 23 degrees in Holland a saturday, bloody great to have went to a game without freezing my nackers off. What was the temperature in Edinburgh today.

I think it was around 12 degrees but with the wind chill, it felt freezing :greengrin

Baldy Foghorn
13-06-2015, 09:22 PM
I think it was around 12 degrees but with the wind chill, it felt freezing :greengrin

It was bloody cold, I can vouch for that.....

Swedish hibee
13-06-2015, 09:26 PM
Saying there isn't much interest in it for uk tv isn't really knocking it? Any hibs fan knocking swedish football would have a short memory of course, but then nobody here has knocked it.

Whoooooooooooooosh. I was trying to be funny. I failed dramatically. Obviously.

LaMotta
13-06-2015, 10:08 PM
It was bloody cold, I can vouch for that.....

Another cold miserable cloudy summer saturday. Crowd would have been massive at Easter Road though surely........

lord bunberry
13-06-2015, 10:39 PM
Another cold miserable cloudy summer saturday. Crowd would have been massive at Easter Road though surely........
It was lovely yesterday, what if we changed it to Friday night games? It seems to me that those who are against this seem to want to try and find reasons for it not to happen. I've only read a couple of valid reasons so far. I'm not trying to have a go at you for what you think is the way forward, but I'd like to know what you think can be done to resurrect the fortunes of a league that was once feared throughout the continent.

LaMotta
13-06-2015, 10:52 PM
It was lovely yesterday, what if we changed it to Friday night games? It seems to me that those who are against this seem to want to try and find reasons for it not to happen. I've only read a couple of valid reasons so far. I'm not trying to have a go at you for what you think is the way forward, but I'd like to know what you think can be done to resurrect the fortunes of a league that was once feared throughout the continent.

I dont think its about people like me looking for reasons for it not to happen mate......i just think its realistic thinking that for all the arguments Haymaker has superbly put across imo there is no evidence that summer football will make things better.

You point out correctly that our league was once feared thtoughout the continent...... that was true though as part of a scottish winter league though...

The grass is always greener is a mistake people make everywhere though....

Alfred E Newman
14-06-2015, 02:44 PM

9am in Peebles this morning, 5 degrees and raining.

Haymaker
14-06-2015, 05:29 PM
I don't mean this to sound disrespectful as I agreed with your suggestions about more indoor facilities and getting rid of the old firm (think that was you) but imo you care too much what English people think. I personally don't give a monkeys what they think, even if we were to improve our product 10 fold they still wouldn't be interested abd I wouldn't blame them as it wouldn't be as good as their own league. What Scottish football needs to do is get young Scottish kids going to watch hibs Aberdeen games instead of watching Chelsea man u on the Tele.

As I said I agree with you regarding what is required for the long term fix but if the Scottish game doesn't get a short term boost from somewhere then by the time we see the benefits of indoor facilities it could be too late for our game.

I agree that we do need to get more kids watching Scottish football, however a summer league would still be competing with the EPL for the most of the season so we would need to do something more than just switch to summer football which would realistically give us a small window to promote the Scottish game to Scottish kids before the juggernaut of EPL restarted.

How do we get more kids to watch Scottish football? Cheaper tickets? More clubs connected to junior clubs? Switching to summer football seems to me to be this bright idea a lot of people subscribe to and endorse as the saviour of Scottish football. It would still have the same problems as before, just a slightly warmer middle part.

bingo70
14-06-2015, 05:33 PM
I agree that we do need to get more kids watching Scottish football, however a summer league would still be competing with the EPL for the most of the season so we would need to do something more than just switch to summer football which would realistically give us a small window to promote the Scottish game to Scottish kids before the juggernaut of EPL restarted.

How do we get more kids to watch Scottish football? Cheaper tickets? More clubs connected to junior clubs? Switching to summer football seems to me to be this bright idea a lot of people subscribe to and endorse as the saviour of Scottish football. It would still have the same problems as before, just a slightly warmer middle part.

I think you seem to be thinking that those of us that want a move to summer football think that it'll cure all of games ills. Nobody is suggesting that but we've got to start somewhere and what we're doing just now isn't working.

Haymaker
14-06-2015, 05:59 PM
I think you seem to be thinking that those of us that want a move to summer football think that it'll cure all of games ills. Nobody is suggesting that but we've got to start somewhere and what we're doing just now isn't working.

Some people do. Some people can have a decent discussion on the subject.

Personally I don't see how a move to summer football will have any change other than the start and end points of the season. You are right in that something isn't working right now however I believe it will be the same situation in a summer league. Other things need to be done first IMO and I have gone over those on previous posts (the performance centres etc).