PDA

View Full Version : Safe Standing Area

Slim Shady
09-06-2015, 11:35 AM
Celtic have been granted permission to install rail seating which will enable them to have safe standin areas for 2,600 fans. Should be ready for 2016/17 season.

Have fond memories of standing in the East. Would love to see a small section return to the East.

LancsHibs
09-06-2015, 11:42 AM
Me to, I'm for it, freedom of choice!

CallumLaidlaw
09-06-2015, 11:44 AM
I think the lower famous five would be great for a standing area. Get the singing section in there too :agree:

Keith_M
09-06-2015, 11:52 AM
I think the lower famous five would be great for a standing area. Get the singing section in there too :agree:

We should have a whip round to raise the money from everybody in favour

How long would it take to raise roughly 160k*, do you think?

:wink:

* 2,000 seats at 80 quid each.

Hibi
09-06-2015, 11:53 AM
Was across in Bremen for their last home game and the atmosphere in the standing section is tremendous. Brings back many happy memories of Easter road.

Scouse Hibee
09-06-2015, 12:07 PM
We can't afford it, money is better spent on the squad.

Scottie
09-06-2015, 12:17 PM
:agree: Let's get it right on the pitch first then worry about standing afterwards.

No doubt about it standing at games creates a much better atmosphere all-round though.

jacomo
09-06-2015, 12:19 PM

We can't afford not to. Crucial to improving atmosphere and crowds at ER.

marinello59
09-06-2015, 12:33 PM

Do you know a single fan who has said that what keeps them away from ER is the absence of a standing area?
I'm in favour of safe standing areas but the short term focus has to be on investing in the team.

Waxy
09-06-2015, 12:33 PM
A standing section would attact more people.Make a much better atmosphere. Its far easier to keep warm at winter matches while standing.

Scouse Hibee
09-06-2015, 01:04 PM

We need people in the ground before we even think about spending more money on improving it. If you're suggesting that folk will flock back because of a new standing area I disagree.

Kojock
09-06-2015, 01:10 PM
A standing section would attact more people.Make a much better atmosphere. Its far easier to keep warm at winter matches while standing.

I think the Hibs fans standing at Cowdenbeath and Alloa last season might not agree with that.

calumhibee1
09-06-2015, 01:17 PM
I think the Hibs fans standing at Cowdenbeath and Alloa last season might not agree with that.

I was just about to say that. Cowdenbeath especially was horrific. :agree:

green&left
09-06-2015, 01:42 PM
I was just about to say that. Cowdenbeath especially was horrific. :agree:

Aye cos Central Park is quite comparable to Easter Road...

Fair play to Sellick. The clubs and fans have been pushing it for ages.

The Rangers will probably do it next. Would love to see it ER.

CallumLaidlaw
09-06-2015, 01:44 PM
Aye cos Central Park is quite comparable to Easter Road...

Fair play to Sellick. The clubs and fans have been pushing it for ages.

The Rangers will probably do it next. Would love to see it ER.

There's bigger things needing done to the Stadium at Ibrox than changing the flippin' seats!

Kato
09-06-2015, 01:47 PM
There's bigger things needing done to the Stadium at Ibrox than changing the flippin' seats!

What about the seats that don't flip?

lyonhibs
09-06-2015, 02:10 PM

Not 1/100th as crucial as a winning team, which is where 100% of AS and LD's efforts should be focused.

.Sean.
09-06-2015, 02:11 PM
Hibs could say that if they could get 2000 fans who were seriously keen to pay the cost of the conversion? How much would you be looking at? Hardly a bank breaker.

Personally I'd be more than happy to contribute and i'm sure others would be the same.

Steve20
09-06-2015, 02:15 PM
Is not having seats at a football match really that important to people?

Just keep them all seated. Crowds create atmosphere, not a lack of seats.

Keith_M
09-06-2015, 02:17 PM
Hibs could say that if they could get 2000 fans who were seriously keen to pay the cost of the conversion? How much would you be looking at? Hardly a bank breaker.

Personally I'd be more than happy to contribute and i'm sure others would be the same.

Here's my estimate from earlier.

The seat price is from Bristol City, who said they want to have standing areas.

We should have a whip round to raise the money from everybody in favour

How long would it take to raise roughly 160k*, do you think?

* 2,000 seats at 80 quid each.

Deansy
09-06-2015, 02:46 PM
I'm all for grounds having 'Standing areas' and hope it catches on. Thank God Septic applied - any other club (outside of Septic's business-partners, Sevco) would've been told to bolt by the GFA!

Beefster
09-06-2015, 03:23 PM
Do you know a single fan who has said that what keeps them away from ER is the absence of a standing area?

I know a guy who says that he stays away because of Petrie. And if Petrie left, it would be because he can't stand. And if he could stand, it would be because the pies are rubbish. And if the pies were great, it would be because of the ticket price. And if the tickets were free, it would be too cold. Etc etc.

GreenCastle
09-06-2015, 03:25 PM
Famous Five lower would be ideal for this. This should be our singing section.

The East stand will take care of itself for atmosphere.

Move the family section to west lower - Side closest to FF.

Agree more important things to focus on right now..a winning team and getting back to top league is more important.

HIBERNIAN-0762
09-06-2015, 03:26 PM

Agreed 100%

Hibby70
09-06-2015, 03:45 PM
If there is a demand from 2,000 supporters to be housed in this area would they pay a premium of say £20 per year for say 5 years in order to pay for it?

jacomo
09-06-2015, 03:56 PM
I know a guy who says that he stays away because of Petrie. And if Petrie left, it would be because he can't stand. And if he could stand, it would be because the pies are rubbish. And if the pies were great, it would be because of the ticket price. And if the tickets were free, it would be too cold. Etc etc.

You're probably wasting your time with him.

Keith_M
09-06-2015, 04:20 PM
If there is a demand from 2,000 supporters to be housed in this area would they pay a premium of say £20 per year for say 5 years in order to pay for it?

If I win the Lottery this week, I'll give the Club the 160k myself

Waxy
09-06-2015, 04:39 PM

:wink:Me too.I'm probably looking back all misty eyed to the 80s under the east, i'd love to see standing back at Easter road again.It'd make a big difference.FF lower standing would suck a few goals in each season.

Chuck Rhoades
09-06-2015, 05:01 PM

Work under way to make the latter happen for season 16/17.

IanM
09-06-2015, 05:24 PM

If I win I'll give them £310k. £160k for the standing area and £150k for Griffiths

bod
09-06-2015, 05:27 PM

hope you get 3 numbers then we'll hold you to that :wink:

CockneyRebel
09-06-2015, 05:29 PM
Famous Five lower would be ideal for this. This should be our singing section.

The East stand will take care of itself for atmosphere.

Move the family section to west lower - Side closest to FF.

Agree more important things to focus on right now..a winning team and getting back to top league is more important.

What about the folk already in lower west with STs?

Waxy
09-06-2015, 05:42 PM
What about the folk already in lower west with STs?Can see everyone being willing to move for the cause except a stubborn 3 or 4. Like those folk who wont sell their house and hold up major developments.

Scouse Hibee
09-06-2015, 05:51 PM
Can see everyone being willing to move for the cause except a stubborn 3 or 4. Like those folk who wont sell their house and hold up major developments.

Was in the house position as a 13 year old, parents were screwed by a compulsory purchase order, still angers me to this day especially as the proposed development never went ahead and houses left derelict for years.

GreenCastle
09-06-2015, 05:57 PM
What about the folk already in lower west with STs?

They are consulated and get first pick on new seats around the stadium ?

Or they just stay where they are ?

I would be interested to know how many ST holders we currently have in FF lower.

Waxy
09-06-2015, 06:02 PM
Was in the house position as a 13 year old, parents were screwed by a compulsory purchase order, still angers me to this day especially as the proposed development never went ahead and houses left derelict for years.Can't be good when it comes to that.Then there's people who don't have to sell but get hounded (like that guy who wouldn't sell his house to Trump near his golf course).

lucky
09-06-2015, 06:04 PM
Hibs don't need to spend money on this. I can't see it being a winner if fans are ask to pay a premium to stand. But if the fans want it and are willing pay for it then why not.

jacomo
09-06-2015, 06:05 PM
Was in the house position as a 13 year old, parents were screwed by a compulsory purchase order, still angers me to this day especially as the proposed development never went ahead and houses left derelict for years.

A wee bit less serious that a CPO on your home, no?

Any existing STs could either keep their place (but stand instead of sit), get priority treatment on moving, or throw a fit about it.

I do think it makes sense for ER to get re-organised a bit, and it's logical to make the family section in the West. Standing area will probably get loads of young people who can swear their heads off without offending any parents.

In my experience, those in the FF are all grumpy as f*** so any change is going to annoy them. :wink:

StevieT
09-06-2015, 06:24 PM
Can see everyone being willing to move for the cause except a stubborn 3 or 4. Like those folk who wont sell their house and hold up major developments.

So someone who has had a season ticket in this stand for years will need to move because someone else want to stand and sing? We should be encouraging people to get along to Easter Road not telling loyal fans that they need to move seats to satisfy a selfish few.

blackpoolhibs
09-06-2015, 06:25 PM
Behind the goal now called the FF was where we all used to stand and sing.

Those using it now only had it on loan.

Waxy
09-06-2015, 06:36 PM
So someone who has had a season ticket in this stand for years will need to move because someone else want to stand and sing? We should be encouraging people to get along to Easter Road not telling loyal fans that they need to move seats to satisfy a selfish few.Can't see anyone complaining.

heretoday
09-06-2015, 07:24 PM
This all seems a bit pretentious. Are folk hoping to claw back the atmosphere of the 60s/70s? Much of that was fuelled by McEwans Export and the like. You can't go back!

lord bunberry
09-06-2015, 07:56 PM
This all seems a bit pretentious. Are folk hoping to claw back the atmosphere of the 60s/70s? Much of that was fuelled by McEwans Export and the like. You can't go back!
Not just the 60s/70s standing continued into the 90s, well after the Export had disappeared from the terraces. The cup game at Ayr a couple of years ago proved how good standing can still be.

PatHead
09-06-2015, 09:15 PM
So someone who has had a season ticket in this stand for years will need to move because someone else want to stand and sing? We should be encouraging people to get along to Easter Road not telling loyal fans that they need to move seats to satisfy a selfish few.

Thing is that FF is meant to be the family section. A lot of the folk in it bought tickets for themselves and their children years ago. The kids have grown up and they have all remained in the same seats. The discounted adult seat which was intended for adult and child is not really being used for the purpose intended.

I'm in favour of the singing section being behind the goals and think another area of the ground could be allocated to families. Maybe one of the less populated Upper West areas on either end or an end section of the east?

Scouse Hibee
09-06-2015, 09:25 PM
A wee bit less serious that a CPO on your home, no?

Any existing STs could either keep their place (but stand instead of sit), get priority treatment on moving, or throw a fit about it.

I do think it makes sense for ER to get re-organised a bit, and it's logical to make the family section in the West. Standing area will probably get loads of young people who can swear their heads off without offending any parents.

In my experience, those in the FF are all grumpy as f*** so any change is going to annoy them. :wink:

Aye of course, no comparison I strayed off topic.

SquashedFrogg
09-06-2015, 09:26 PM
Thing is that FF is meant to be the family section. A lot of the folk in it bought tickets for themselves and their children years ago. The kids have grown up and they have all remained in the same seats. The discounted adult seat which was intended for adult and child is not really being used for the purpose intended.

I'm in favour of the singing section being behind the goals and think another area of the ground could be allocated to families. Maybe one of the less populated Upper West areas on either end or an end section of the east?

Possibly a re-think of the stadium sections would be worthwhile?

Radges/singers etc in the FF
Family/coffin dodgers in the West
None of the above in the East

Clearly not entirely thought through but maybe a shuffle about would improve atmosphere?

PatHead
09-06-2015, 10:16 PM
Possibly a re-think of the stadium sections would be worthwhile?

Radges/singers etc in the FF
Family/coffin dodgers in the West
None of the above in the East

Clearly not entirely thought through but maybe a shuffle about would improve atmosphere?

As Ross said it is being looked at.

SquashedFrogg
09-06-2015, 10:50 PM
As Ross said it is being looked at.

I saw that. Thanks for confirming what I previously read. :agree:

Nutmegged
09-06-2015, 11:38 PM

I think you seriously underestimate how many fans actually enjoy standing at games, while for those who have "moved on" can continue to enjoy their football from the Seats those who want to stand should be allowed do so without infringing on those who remain seated, its win win and no need for anyone to get annoyed

Brightside
10-06-2015, 07:07 AM
I sit in the west lower, nearer the dunbar end. Its my choice of seat as I really cant be bothered with drunken arse holes swearing and talking pish through the games. We also get better pies in the West.

Is there really any need for a standing section? The front of the east were the singers are now is hardly pumped full of people!?

Moulin Yarns
10-06-2015, 07:29 AM
I sit in the west lower, nearer the dunbar end. Its my choice of seat as I really cant be bothered with drunken arse holes swearing and talking pish through the games. We also get better pies in the West.

Is there really any need for a standing section? The front of the east were the singers are now is hardly pumped full of people!?

Is that not more to do with having to join a secret society to get special permission to stand in that area. I haven't been but it looks like it holds around 100, but with special permission required to get in that section why bother, just sit behind them if you want to make a noise or listen to the beat of the jungle drums.

liamh2202
10-06-2015, 07:41 AM
Behind the goal now called the FF was where we all used to stand and sing.

Those using it now only had it on loan.

I am not fussed about standing but the fuss about moving people is unreal. People need to remember it wasn't long ago the family enclosure was in the west . going on about a seat like they own it is a bit ott

heretoday
10-06-2015, 07:52 AM
I think you seriously underestimate how many fans actually enjoy standing at games, while for those who have "moved on" can continue to enjoy their football from the Seats those who want to stand should be allowed do so without infringing on those who remain seated, its win win and no need for anyone to get annoyed

Well we shall see, won't we? Naturally, I hope it's a success if it is introduced.

StevieC
10-06-2015, 07:57 AM

I agree. You could even make the FF lower standing and the upper the family section.

I hope with standing they don't make it allocated positions, as these completely defeats the purpose.

Hermit Crab
10-06-2015, 08:39 AM
I'm all for it. If a standing area goes in at Easter rd I'll be in it.

NAE NOOKIE
10-06-2015, 08:55 AM
Work under way to make the latter happen for season 16/17.

Good news if true BR. I have been an FF lower regular for all but one of the last 20 odd seasons and I like sitting there, but I would happily decant if it was to make way for a standing section. I would prefer to see the family section moved to the north end of the East, you then have the choice to sit higher up the stand if you want to.

Though the 'singing section' is relatively small at most games I think giving it its own self contained section will definitely encourage it to grow and it will improve the atmosphere in the stadium in the long run.

Keith_M
10-06-2015, 09:10 AM
I'm not sure that rail seating with allocated spaces is really bringing back the spirit of the old terracing.

I liked having the ability to move about a bit, e.g. if you were stuck next to a bunch of moaning faced gits or if all your mates were standing elsewhere.

NAE NOOKIE
10-06-2015, 09:18 AM
I'm not sure that rail seating with allocated spaces is really bringing back the spirit of the old terracing.

I liked having the ability to move about a bit, e.g. if you were stuck next to a bunch of moaning faced gits or if all your mates were standing elsewhere.

The rail seats would only be required if we were playing in Europe and because these games don't count for season tickets the only time anybody would need an allocated seat would be for those games. For domestic matches you just have a ticket for the FF lower.

Moulin Yarns
10-06-2015, 09:21 AM
The rail seats would only be required if we were playing in Europe and because these games don't count for season tickets the only time anybody would need an allocated seat would be for those games. For domestic matches you just have a ticket for the FF lower.

In theory that sounds good, but at the moment you can't just walk into the 'singing' section just now, you need to have some clandestine meeting with people 'in the know' to get a voucher to stand there. Is that just going to disappear if the FF lower was rail seats?

Keith_M
10-06-2015, 09:31 AM
In theory that sounds good, but at the moment you can't just walk into the 'singing' section just now, you need to have some clandestine meeting with people 'in the know' to get a voucher to stand there. Is that just going to disappear if the FF lower was rail seats?

Surely a midnight meeting on the third Sunday of the month to sacrifice some Poultry at Lochend Park isn't too much to ask?

Moulin Yarns
10-06-2015, 09:35 AM
Surely a midnight meeting on the third Sunday of the month to sacrifice some Poultry at Lochend Park isn't too much to ask?

I know, but it clashes with my 'knit and natter group'

Sioux
10-06-2015, 09:36 AM

If you went with your mates and they were standing elsewhere, does that not mean they were trying to get away from you.:greengrin

NAE NOOKIE
10-06-2015, 09:44 AM

Yes

Hermit Crab
10-06-2015, 09:56 AM
Perhaps a statement from hibs just to clarify their position on this safe standing would be good.

Keith_M
10-06-2015, 10:03 AM
If you went with your mates and they were standing elsewhere, does that not mean they were trying to get away from you.:greengrin

Who's been talking?

OK, fair enough, but I'm honestly not all that bad :wink:

khib70
10-06-2015, 10:28 AM
I've had a season ticket in the West Lower for ten years and there's no way I'm being shunted out to make way for a handful of deluded nostalgists. People need to move on. Some of them will be demanding compulsory wooden rattles and flat caps soon. The few who want to stand appear to be doing so anyway, without bothering anyone else. Not broken. Don't fix.

Waxy
10-06-2015, 11:07 AM
I've had a season ticket in the West Lower for ten years and there's no way I'm being shunted out to make way for a handful of deluded nostalgists. People need to move on. Some of them will be demanding compulsory wooden rattles and flat caps soon. The few who want to stand appear to be doing so anyway, without bothering anyone else. Not broken. Don't fix.
Standing areas are the future.

liamh2202
10-06-2015, 11:20 AM

I think it is a good idea moving the family section back to the west no mattr what the arrangement was for the ff.

LaMotta
10-06-2015, 11:55 AM
Good news if true BR. I have been an FF lower regular for all but one of the last 20 odd seasons and I like sitting there, but I would happily decant if it was to make way for a standing section. I would prefer to see the family section moved to the north end of the East, you then have the choice to sit higher up the stand if you want to.

Though the 'singing section' is relatively small at most games I think giving it its own self contained section will definitely encourage it to grow and it will improve the atmosphere in the stadium in the long run.

:agree:

Easter Road just now has too many seats and a diluted atmosphere for what it should be capbable of.

Something needs to be done.

khib70
10-06-2015, 12:20 PM
Standing areas are the future.

No they aren't. They're a sop to a romanticised past. I certainly wouldn't expect standing fans to be charged extra. In most existing cases they are charged considerably less. So standing obsessives are asking the club to invest money in additional infrastructure (rail seats - however retro your ambitions, no one is going to revert to open terraces) for no additional income, or even less income. The way people watch football has changed for ever. You can get as misty-eyed about the good ole days as you want, but it's not on to expect the club to financially underwrite your whims, or to expect people to accept being hounded out of their seats to accommodate them.

Scouse Hibee
10-06-2015, 01:14 PM
No they aren't. They're a sop to a romanticised past. I certainly wouldn't expect standing fans to be charged extra. In most existing cases they are charged considerably less. So standing obsessives are asking the club to invest money in additional infrastructure (rail seats - however retro your ambitions, no one is going to revert to open terraces) for no additional income, or even less income. The way people watch football has changed for ever. You can get as misty-eyed about the good ole days as you want, but it's not on to expect the club to financially underwrite your whims, or to expect people to accept being hounded out of their seats to accommodate them.

I agree.

jacomo
10-06-2015, 01:40 PM

I agree that standing areas should be cheaper than seats, but why do you think there would be no increase in income? This only holds true if ER is sold out every game.

Most of my best memories of attending football come from games when I was standing for a large part of the game. The old East had a better atmosphere, in large part because a lot of punters stood instead of sitting.

Away supporters often generate more noise than home crowds, if they are all standing.

This is not misty-eyed romanticism about long ago.

Keith_M
10-06-2015, 01:44 PM
I understand why people want to do something to help restore the atmosphere at ER but, quite frankly, we just can't afford it just now.

Hibs have spent millions in the last few years, sometimes to the detriment of the team, on the Stadium and Training Ground. There are much higher priorities just now than restoring Terracing.

Chuck Rhoades
10-06-2015, 05:23 PM

I can assure you it's true, as I, with others in the section, are supporting the club with this.

Keith_M
10-06-2015, 05:28 PM
I can assure you it's true, as I, with others in the section, are supporting the club with this.

Where will you guys be located this coming season?

3pm
10-06-2015, 08:29 PM

Then this will happen!

https://youtube.com/watch?v=JhkRgJmmOhA

3pm
10-06-2015, 08:30 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JhkRgJmmOhA

brianmc
10-06-2015, 08:40 PM

Superb.

*apart from one wee grumpy guy in the middle complaining that he'd paid for a seat and couldnae see because of all those ruffians (I'd imagine) hehe

linlithgowhibbie
10-06-2015, 08:44 PM

Its not that good,,,, they canny even sing in English!!!

superfurryhibby
10-06-2015, 08:53 PM

That is awesome, totally awesome!

Waxy
10-06-2015, 09:01 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JhkRgJmmOhAThats just awesome.

Chuck Rhoades
10-06-2015, 09:17 PM
Where will you guys be located this coming season?

Usual place.

Stan the Man
10-06-2015, 09:29 PM
14k vs The rangers in vital play off = broken

khib70
11-06-2015, 08:40 AM
14k vs The rangers in vital play off = broken
And exactly what evidence do you have that a standing area would bring in another 6,000 people? The vast majority of supporters are happy to sit. The minority who aren't can't be allowed to be a tail that wags the dog. Of course it's desirable to have a good atmosphere, but plenty of grounds have that without throwing people out of their seats to accommodate the vocal minority.

And as for it improving performances, St Pauli, who are the "dream team" for the nostalgists remain resolutely crap, and their ground is a chaotic mess, with away supporters corralled in a tiny corner behind wire fences. No thanks

Keith_M
11-06-2015, 08:47 AM
I have a technical question.

When people's knees are bent, does it do something to restrict the vocal chords?

I can't remember reading about the connection before but I'm prepared to be proved wrong.

:duck:

khib70
11-06-2015, 09:03 AM
I have a technical question.

When people's knees are bent, does it do something to restrict the vocal chords?

I can't remember reading about the connection before but I'm prepared to be proved wrong.

:duck:
:agree:Always puzzled me, this one

Keith_M
11-06-2015, 09:24 AM
As I won the German Lottery last night ;-) ............I've decided to buy Hibs and replace the East stand with this.

It's going to be called 'The Hawkhill Stand'

Moulin Yarns
11-06-2015, 09:33 AM
As I won the German Lottery last night ;-) ............I've decided to buy Hibs and replace the East stand with this.

It's going to be called 'The Hawkhill Stand'

It doesn't seem to be very popular. :greengrin

Keith_M
11-06-2015, 09:55 AM
It doesn't seem to be very popular. :greengrin

Where did I say I was going to let anybody else in to MY new Stand?

Moulin Yarns
11-06-2015, 10:43 AM
Where did I say I was going to let anybody else in to MY new Stand?

Reserved for the Uberfan :greengrin

Keith_M
11-06-2015, 11:14 AM
Reserved for the Uberfan :greengrin

Yep, that's me behind the Dugouts. The rest are security, to keep out the Riff-Raff.

:greengrin

Moulin Yarns
11-06-2015, 11:45 AM
Yep, that's me behind the Dugouts. The rest are security, to keep out the Riff-Raff.

Makes sense, who would want to mix with some posters on here? :wink:

NAE NOOKIE
11-06-2015, 04:35 PM

That's what fitba should be like http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/not%20worthy.gif

Any chance we could nick that song and put our own words to it?

Waxy
11-06-2015, 05:13 PM
That's what fitba should be like http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/not%20worthy.gif

Any chance we could nick that song and put our own words to it?I agree but khib70 doesn't.He'd rather we all knitted jumpers at half time.

khib70
12-06-2015, 10:33 AM
I agree but khib70 doesn't.He'd rather we all knitted jumpers at half time.

And you know this how? Presumably from your ignorant and selfish "yer not a proper fan unless you stand up" viewpoint. I can and do sing with the best of them, and I suspect i have been doing so a damn sight longer than you. I find that the sitting position has no effect whatsoever on my vocal "abilities"

So don't make assumptions about people you know nothing about just because they don't happen to share your opinion

lord bunberry
12-06-2015, 11:30 AM
And you know this how? Presumably from your ignorant and selfish "yer not a proper fan unless you stand up" viewpoint. I can and do sing with the best of them, and I suspect i have been doing so a damn sight longer than you. I find that the sitting position has no effect whatsoever on my vocal "abilities"

So don't make assumptions about people you know nothing about just because they don't happen to share your opinion
Is your opposition to this based on the fact that you might have to move your seat?

green&left
12-06-2015, 12:07 PM
Is your opposition to this based on the fact that you might have to move your seat?

Nope as he stated earlier he sits in the west lower.

Just likes a moan by the looks of it.

khib70
12-06-2015, 12:14 PM
Not entirely. Fundamentally, I can't see the point of it, and it's a retrograde step in my opinion, Having said that though, I have no wish to prevent those who want to stand from having an area set aside for it if it is possible to do it and the club has no problems with it.

Mainly, as you say, I don't see why I should move my partner and I's seats, which we've chosen and occupied for some time, to accommodate a small minority who clearly think they're bigger and better fans than the rest of us. I suspect I'm far from being alone in that opinion. The standing lobby are not doing themselves any favours by their assumption of uberfandom, and contemptuous attitude towards anyone who has the temerity to be content to sit down to watch the game.

StevieT
12-06-2015, 12:19 PM
Not entirely. Fundamentally, I can't see the point of it, and it's a retrograde step in my opinion, Having said that though, I have no wish to prevent those who want to stand from having an area set aside for it if it is possible to do it and the club has no problems with it.

Mainly, as you say, I don't see why I should move my partner and I's seats, which we've chosen and occupied for some time, to accommodate a small minority who clearly think they're bigger and better fans than the rest of us. I suspect I'm far from being alone in that opinion. The standing lobby are not doing themselves any favours by their assumption of uberfandom, and contemptuous attitude towards anyone who has the temerity to be content to sit down to watch the game.

Well said that man. If they want to stand then stick them way up the back out of the way (then we will see how many really want to join in the standing). Stadia have seats to be sat on.

overdrive
12-06-2015, 12:25 PM
I agree that standing areas should be cheaper than seats, but why do you think there would be no increase in income? This only holds true if ER is sold out every game.

Most of my best memories of attending football come from games when I was standing for a large part of the game. The old East had a better atmosphere, in large part because a lot of punters stood instead of sitting.

Away supporters often generate more noise than home crowds, if they are all standing.

This is not misty-eyed romanticism about long ago.

No, it holds true if demand stays the same or reduces. Let's say (using made up figures), currently 10k crowds @ £20pp = £200k. Safe standing is introduced and let's say a decision is taken that such tickets should be sold at £15pp. Let's assume there are 2k spaces in this standing area and all of these are sold out but overall demand stays the same at 10k. (2k @ £15pp) + (8k @ £20pp) = £190k.

lord bunberry
12-06-2015, 12:43 PM

I suspect you wouldn't have to move. If a standing section was set up in the FF lower I would imagine the people who sit there would have the option of standing or picking another seat. Any family area would probably be in the East as that would be where the majority of the people standing would come from.

khib70
12-06-2015, 02:32 PM
I suspect you wouldn't have to move. If a standing section was set up in the FF lower I would imagine the people who sit there would have the option of standing or picking another seat. Any family area would probably be in the East as that would be where the majority of the people standing would come from.
Aye fair enough, I think you're right about that. I was more concerned about the cavalier way the standing lobby were happy to just make us knitters and unterfans shift for them as if we were some sort of lesser breed.

On the wider issue, I still think there are better things the club could be spending money on than providing a minority with their accommodation of choice.

NAE NOOKIE
12-06-2015, 02:50 PM

In all honesty I highly doubt Hibs would move the family section to the west. The north end of the east seems the logical place for it, with the only possible downside being the steepness of the stand.

I'm a bit younger than you Khib70, but tell me a time following Hibs when the younger element of our support ( like any club ) didn't look upon themselves as the ones who generated the atmosphere at games and considered the 'main standites' to be a shower of 'auld fuddy duddies' .... I know I did and I'm willing to bet you did too. That hardly makes them claimants of 'uber fan' status, it just makes them what most of us older fans used to be.

I have sat in the FF lower for years and I'm too old these days ( and too short ) to want to spend every Saturday standing. But in my opinion a dedicated standing area in the FF lower where the more boisterous element of our support feel better able to let rip is exactly what we need and I for one will be more than happy to move to enable it to happen .... where they are just now does not give them the sense of identity they need to grow, whereas a dedicated self contained part of the stadium they can call their own will do that, eventually I would like to see a couple of thousand in the FF lower at every game giving it laldy.

I also think that the more visible presence being in the FF would give them would encourage more of our younger supporters to want to be part of it, and not only that, I'm positive that them being so much closer to the family section and the north end of the west will encourage more of the seated fans in those areas to join in with the singing a lot more than they do now.

IMO being asked to move my seat to another part of a stadium which has no viewing restrictions in any part of it is a small price to pay if what I get in return is to attend matches with a decent atmosphere, rather than the near on morgue like conditions for most games at ER over the last few years. For me a huge factor in actually going to games is in the hope that the atmosphere will be good .... if its not I may as well be watching it on TV.

I don't know about you, but many of my most memorable games following Hibs over the last 40 year have been made so by the atmosphere at the game as much as the game itself ...... Lets do this, is my take on it.

jacomo
12-06-2015, 02:55 PM
In all honesty I highly doubt Hibs would move the family section to the west. The north end of the east seems the logical place for it, with the only possible downside being the steepness of the stand.

I'm a bit younger than you Khib70, but tell me a time following Hibs when the younger element of our support ( like any club ) didn't look upon themselves as the ones who generated the atmosphere at games and considered the 'main standites' to be a shower of 'auld fuddy duddies' .... I know I did and I'm willing to bet you did too. That hardly makes them claimants of 'uber fan' status, it just makes them what most of us older fans used to be.

I have sat in the FF lower for years and I'm too old these days ( and too short ) to want to spend every Saturday standing. But in my opinion a dedicated standing area in the FF lower where the more boisterous element of our support feel better able to let rip is exactly what we need and I for one will be more than happy to move to enable it to happen .... where they are just now does not give them the sense of identity they need to grow, whereas a dedicated self contained part of the stadium they can call their own will do that, eventually I would like to see a couple of thousand in the FF lower at every game giving it laldy.

I also think that the more visible presence being in the FF would give them would encourage more of our younger supporters to want to be part of it, and not only that, I'm positive that them being so much closer to the family section and the north end of the west will encourage more of the seated fans in those areas to join in with the singing a lot more than they do now.

IMO being asked to move my seat to another part of a stadium which has no viewing restrictions in any part of it is a small price to pay if what I get in return is to attend matches with a decent atmosphere, rather than the near on morgue like conditions for most games at ER over the last few years. For me a huge factor in actually going to games is in the hope that the atmosphere will be good .... if its not I may as well be watching it on TV.

I don't know about you, but many of my most memorable games following Hibs over the last 40 year have been made so by the atmosphere at the game as much as the game itself ...... Lets do this, is my take on it.

:agree:

Good man, a very well made argument.

Thecat23
12-06-2015, 03:06 PM

I'd much rather get back up first and make sure all the money was spent of the team.

Scouse Hibee
12-06-2015, 03:24 PM
Can we drop the word safe and just call it a standing area as I guess it will be just as safe as the seated areas if it goes ahead.

Waxy
12-06-2015, 04:33 PM

I don't know about you, but many of my most memorable games following Hibs over the last 40 year have been made so by the atmosphere at the game as much as the game itself ...... Lets do this, is my take on it.This is spot on.It's the atmosphere that new young football fans are attracted to.Standing allows an atmosphere the younger support are craving.its what the singing sections are striving for and could multiply in numbers tenfold.

lord bunberry
12-06-2015, 04:37 PM
Aye fair enough, I think you're right about that. I was more concerned about the cavalier way the standing lobby were happy to just make us knitters and unterfans shift for them as if we were some sort of lesser breed.

On the wider issue, I still think there are better things the club could be spending money on than providing a minority with their accommodation of choice.

If it's going to be done it would need to be financed by other means

LancashireHibby
13-06-2015, 07:50 AM
Can we drop the word safe and just call it a standing area as I guess it will be just as safe as the seated areas if it goes ahead.
Safer than standing in seating areas because it removes the 'domino effect'.

A family section in the East opens up a world of possibilities by the way, there's so much wasted space on the concourse and immediately outside the stand that would be great for setting up activities for the kids etc and finally give the club a decent chance of attracting new families of supporters to ER.

Scouse Hibee
13-06-2015, 08:03 AM
Safer than standing in seating areas because it removes the 'domino effect'.

A family section in the East opens up a world of possibilities by the way, there's so much wasted space on the concourse and immediately outside the stand that would be great for setting up activities for the kids etc and finally give the club a decent chance of attracting new families of supporters to ER.

Creating "safe standing areas" is a great idea for those folk who want to stand though it will never be the same as standing as folk like me and many others remember it. The very suggestion of it though in my mind makes a mockery of clubs who currently allow folk every week to stand in an "unsafe" area.I hope standing in seated areas will be absolutely banned if and when grounds have these "safe" areas.

blackpoolhibs
13-06-2015, 08:15 AM
Just move make the bottom section the ultras area, no need to spend one penny in adapting it. Those who dont take children can move to another part of the ground if they want, or stay and help create a bloody atmosphere.

The family section can either move to the upper tier or into the east.

A lot of gnashing teeth over nothing here, no need to spend money, no need to put new seats in just tinker with the seating arrangements.

Get a singing support behind the goal and watch it grow. :hibees

HibbiesandtheBaddies
13-06-2015, 07:55 PM
Standing section in the middle 2 or 3 sections of the FF lower is the way forward. Minimises spend and has the potential to push the team forward to victory in the second halves of games.

Lets do it.

jacomo
13-06-2015, 08:41 PM
Just move make the bottom section the ultras area, no need to spend one penny in adapting it. Those who dont take children can move to another part of the ground if they want, or stay and help create a bloody atmosphere.

The family section can either move to the upper tier or into the east.

A lot of gnashing teeth over nothing here, no need to spend money, no need to put new seats in just tinker with the seating arrangements.

Get a singing support behind the goal and watch it grow. :hibees

Seems to make sense to me, although why not have family section in West Lower? That's where youth sports teams etc often go now, seems a more natural fit to me.

Phil MaGlass
13-06-2015, 09:34 PM
If creating a standing area inthe FF meant a better atmosphere at ER then fine, I dont understand folk who think because they bought a ST in any part of the ground think they have the right to that seat every year, the club make allowances for ST holders and give them option to retain that seat. They can also take that away, so dont get too comfy

FranckSuzy
13-06-2015, 09:55 PM
If creating a standing area inthe FF meant a better atmosphere at ER then fine, I dont understand folk who think because they bought a ST in any part of the ground think they have the right to that seat every year, the club make allowances for ST holders and give them option to retain that seat. They can also take that away, so dont get too comfy

Sorry, don't agree with this at all :greengrin I would counter that one of the only perks of being a season ticket holder is retaining the same seat. Also, if 'your' seat is in a prime position, say right on the half-way line, why would you want to give it up? If you look at the stadium seating plan, there are areas that have a high concentration of STs so they are not available to purchase. Why would that be? Yes, they are the 'best' seats.

Also, if you sit by your friends, and have done so for years, and you're forced to move, you risk not being able to sit by them anymore, thereby negating the very reason for buying a ST in the first place!

Some folk also buy a ticket for or by a seat that has sentimental value for them. One of their late family members maybe sat there and they're continuing the tradition, or like me, you sat in the area pre-modernisation of the stadium and feel a certain draw to that particular section :aok:

lord bunberry
13-06-2015, 10:45 PM
Sorry, don't agree with this at all :greengrin I would counter that one of the only perks of being a season ticket holder is retaining the same seat. Also, if 'your' seat is in a prime position, say right on the half-way line, why would you want to give it up? If you look at the stadium seating plan, there are areas that have a high concentration of STs so they are not available to purchase. Why would that be? Yes, they are the 'best' seats.

Also, if you sit by your friends, and have done so for years, and you're forced to move, you risk not being able to sit by them anymore, thereby negating the very reason for buying a ST in the first place!

Some folk also buy a ticket for or by a seat that has sentimental value for them. One of their late family members maybe sat there and they're continuing the tradition, or like me, you sat in the area pre-modernisation of the stadium and feel a certain draw to that particular section :aok:
You would have to then question what we're all there for then? Is it because we want to say that I'm sitting here because I've done so for 10 years, or is it to see hibs winning football matches. I want to watch a winning team and I'll sit(or stand) anywhere to see it.

Scouse Hibee
13-06-2015, 10:50 PM

Yes your right don't get too comfy, renewing your season ticket and retaining your seat is not just an option it's a long standing agreement that has been in existence for more years that I can remember in football clubs all over the UK. Dismissing the rights of your season ticket holders my friend means you certainly won't be comfy if you piss too many of them off!

Scouse Hibee
13-06-2015, 10:54 PM
You would have to then question what we're all there for then? Is it because we want to say that I'm sitting here because I've done so for 10 years, or is it to see hibs winning football matches. I want to watch a winning team and I'll sit(or stand) anywhere to see it.

Another one that thinks dismissing the loyalty of season tickets holders is nothing more than a simple decision to pander to the needs of romantic notions of bygone days.

FranckSuzy
13-06-2015, 11:13 PM

Eh? I was responding to a poster who was saying that just because you buy a ST doesn't mean you should get a certain seat. I would have thought that the very fact you are buying one in the first place, it goes without saying that you're there to watch Hibs, naw....?

LaMotta
13-06-2015, 11:17 PM

Great post.....the atmosphere ar er is gash. Anyway to make it better should be considered!

Steve-O
14-06-2015, 12:56 AM
I'm in favour of safe standing areas but the short term focus has to be on investing in the team.

I'm sure nobody has said they've stayed away for that reason alone, but it's still part of a bigger picture.

Anyone who goes to these games with standing in Germany or elsewhere will tell you that the atmosphere in the standing area is almost as much a part of the day as the football itself.

If someone was deciding whether to go when the football may be guff, would they be more likely to go if there was going to a good party atmosphere, or if they were going to sit in a half empty stand?

Steve-O
14-06-2015, 01:04 AM
Folk that would be outraged at having to move seats for something that could be of benefit to the club need to find more things to worry about. Give it about 15 minutes and you'd be used to your new view.

macd123
14-06-2015, 02:15 AM

:top marks

macd123
14-06-2015, 02:46 AM

We cater for minorities all the time and offer choices to people depending on what they want. We even give concessions to minorities which perhaps you take advantage of. The whole point is to offer people choices depending what their preferences are.

I don't want you to get turfed out your seat and i doubt that would happen. But stadiums change over time and sometimes we have to adapt.

lord bunberry
14-06-2015, 08:02 AM
Another one that thinks dismissing the loyalty of season tickets holders is nothing more than a simple decision to pander to the needs of romantic notions of bygone days.
I don't get this " romantic notions of bygone days" standing areas have been introduced or are being introduced at loads of stadiums. If we were to do it, we should try and do it in a way that inconveniences season ticket holders the least. If 3000 fans would like to stand behind the goals should they be told they can't because 20 season ticket holders in another stand don't want to move?

lord bunberry
14-06-2015, 08:12 AM
Eh? I was responding to a poster who was saying that just because you buy a ST doesn't mean you should get a certain seat. I would have thought that the very fact you are buying one in the first place, it goes without saying that you're there to watch Hibs, naw....?
Of course you're there to watch hibs. All I was saying is that people who say "I'm not moving my seat because I've sat here for 10 years" maybe should rethink that statement if it was to benefit the club. If it meant larger crowds and a better atmosphere I would move my seat.
What I would say is that the fact that we have such a big stadium, we should be able to make this happen without anyone having to give up their seat.

marinello59
14-06-2015, 08:34 AM
Of course you're there to watch hibs. All I was saying is that people who say "I'm not moving my seat because I've sat here for 10 years" maybe should rethink that statement if it was to benefit the club. If it meant larger crowds and a better atmosphere I would move my seat.
What I would say is that the fact that we have such a big stadium, we should be able to make this happen without anyone having to give up their seat.

Creating a standing area will not create bigger crowds and improve the atmosphere. A winning team is the only way that can be achieved on a sustainable basis.
I would however be willing to move my seat if a standing area was created to wherever it was located.

blackpoolhibs
14-06-2015, 08:49 AM
I remember being gutted when they started to put seats in behind the goals in whats now called the Famous Five stand.

I'd stood in there for years, but we had to move because it did stifle the atmosphere.

Things change, and in my opinion that change was not for the better.

LaMotta
14-06-2015, 10:04 AM
Creating a standing area will not create bigger crowds and improve the atmosphere. A winning team is the only way that can be achieved on a sustainable basis.
I would however be willing to move my seat if a standing area was created to wherever it was located.

The majority of the problem with atmosphere is down to the stadium being too big and fans being sparsely dotted around the ground.Even if we did have a winning team regularly we could probably expect to get 13 or 14000 max for cat b games which would still leave 6 or 7 thousand empty seats.

Winning regularly will help of course but its not the only way to create a better match day experience.

Standing section in lower ff might not increase crowds but I have no doubt it would enhance the atmosphere! I think it would be popular and be a full area of the stadium most weeks.

lord bunberry
14-06-2015, 11:03 AM
But would a standing area behind the goals help create a winning team? Good players and good teams always talk about the help a noisy support gives them and right now we don't have a noisy support.
I sat in the FF lower last year and the noise created in the East was barely audible most of the time, whereas the away support was pretty loud.

liamh2202
14-06-2015, 01:13 PM
The majority of the problem with atmosphere is down to the stadium being too big and fans being sparsely dotted around the ground.Even if we did have a winning team regularly we could probably expect to get 13 or 14000 max for cat b games which would still leave 6 or 7 thousand empty seats.

Winning regularly will help of course but its not the only way to create a better match day experience.

Standing section in lower ff might not increase crowds but I have no doubt it would enhance the atmosphere! I think it would be popular and be a full area of the stadium most weeks.

I agree we need to get the crowd packed together more. Look at the atmosphere at the northern Ireland game last night and there was only 10k people there. I think that was why the old stands had the feeling of a better atmosphere because there wasn't the big spaces in between people there is now

Beefster
14-06-2015, 01:19 PM
I'm a reasonable man. I'll move from my seat on the halfway line so that some folk can stand there. All I ask is that, in return, Hibs put hot water, warm towels and a selection of fine after-shaves in the gents toilets.

NAE NOOKIE
15-06-2015, 11:20 AM
I'm a reasonable man. I'll move from my seat on the halfway line so that some folk can stand there. All I ask is that, in return, Hibs put hot water, warm towels and a selection of fine after-shaves in the gents toilets.

I understand this may well be on the agenda. They are to be renamed 'gentleman's rest areas'

I would be just as happy if the signs for the bogs in the FF upper were better... I've walked intae the wummins twice :embarrass

Bad Martini
15-06-2015, 11:26 AM
Whilst attending the game against the huns I, and others behind/around/in front of me stood for around 90% of the match.

We were in the East. Section 43.

Cost: £0.00

#justsaying :greengrin

Waxy
16-06-2016, 05:25 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36551888

jacomo
16-06-2016, 07:49 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36551888

This is the future, I think.

They need to get the pricing right though. The irony is that they are investing money here to create a section that will want lower ticket prices - but it is a good investment. Football is too expensive anyhow.

barcahibs
16-06-2016, 08:58 PM
Not against a standing area but I do think that if it costs the club money to create then the people who stand there should pay for it. If there really is a large demand to stand then it should be easy to charge a premium.

I don't think the pitch invasion at the cup final will have helped the case for putting one in though.

Incidentally, I stood for the full game at the cup final, it was OK in that situation but I couldn't imagine wanting to do it every week.

snooky
16-06-2016, 09:02 PM
What about the seats that don't flip?

:greengrin :aok:

marinello59
16-06-2016, 09:03 PM
This is the future, I think.

They need to get the pricing right though. The irony is that they are investing money here to create a section that will want lower ticket prices - but it is a good investment. Football is too expensive anyhow.

If the demand is there for standing then why should it be cheaper? If fans think that is a better than having a seat then they should be prepared to pay for it.

Pretty Boy
16-06-2016, 09:10 PM
The whole financial argument for safe standing relies on there being a demand that outstrips supply because you can fit more people in a standing area. It's not at all cheap to install.

We don't have that problem at Hibs currently so financially it makes little sense. I don't believe for a second there are thousands staying away from ER every week because they can't stand. If they are it's right up there with the very worst excuses.

I'd love to see the FF Lower converted to safe standing and would be in there in a flash. Not at the expense of the product on the park though.

WhileTheChief..
16-06-2016, 09:11 PM
Anything cheaper equals less money to Hibs. Why would anyone want that :confused:

brianmc
16-06-2016, 09:13 PM
I'll continue to stand in my back row seat in the East even if there's a standing section inserted into the FF. Hate being behind the goals.

Pretty Boy
16-06-2016, 09:15 PM
Anything cheaper equals less money to Hibs. Why would anyone want that :confused:

I think, as I said above, it's all based on a situation where demand outstrips supply.

A rail seat allows 2 people to stand per 1 seat so if a seating capacity is 1000 and each ST costs £300 that equates to income of £300 000. If you have a standing capacity of 2000 abd charge £200 you have income of £400 000.

Financially it works in certain situations, as I also said above though these don't apply at Hibs at the moment.

DC_Hibs
16-06-2016, 09:24 PM
If the demand is there for standing then why should it be cheaper? If fans think that is a better than having a seat then they should be prepared to pay for it.

"I just don't think you understand"

Hibs are to rip out fit for purpose seats, install rail seats that can cost up to 3 times as much as a standard one then are expected to charge less to mainly existing ticket holders paying full whack resulting in Hibs receiving less ticket money.
Thankfully (for me as a Hibs fan wanting as big a budget spent on players as possible) Rodders isn't one of the cloud cuckoo brigade who thinks we will make up the shortfall from lower ticket prices with a rush in NEW fans coming along to experience a standing section!!!

Meanwhile back on planet earth,,,,,,,,,

snooky
16-06-2016, 09:25 PM
I remember being gutted when they started to put seats in behind the goals in whats now called the Famous Five stand.

I'd stood in there for years, but we had to move because it did stifle the atmosphere.

Things change, and in my opinion that change was not for the better.

After the tragedies at Bradford & Hillsborough the safety police stepped in - and rightly so. As is normal after any disaster (IMO) the bar is set too far on the other side of the safety issues. IIRC, all seated stadiums was one of the recommendations at that time, which is an example of my point.

To continue, if a standing area is designated at ER, will there be one standing person per seat space? I remember being at Hampden years ago when the crowd was 137,438. I was in the enclosure and we were so packed in (due to counterfeit tickets sold) that there was absolutely no space between fans. It was sardinely scary.
FWIW, I think there should be a standing area as it generates an atmosphere that can't be achieved when sitting on your jaxies.
Go for it, Hibs - but emm, let's get into the SPL first.

cmcd
16-06-2016, 09:41 PM
The whole financial argument for safe standing relies on there being a demand that outstrips supply because you can fit more people in a standing area. It's not at all cheap to install.

We don't have that problem at Hibs currently so financially it makes little sense. I don't believe for a second there are thousands staying away from ER every week because they can't stand. If they are it's right up there with the very worst excuses.

I'd love to see the FF Lower converted to safe standing and would be in there in a flash. Not at the expense of the product on the park though.
When I started to go to ER in the mid/late 50s all the youngsters stood behind the goals .I wasn't fussy where I stood as long as I could see the game .Now I am getting on a bit I prefer my seat in the FF lower and I wouldn't want to move

jacomo
16-06-2016, 10:28 PM

I do despair at times.

ER is half full most games. It's surely time for more imaginative approaches to getting more people through the gates.

jgl07
16-06-2016, 11:55 PM
I do despair at times.

ER is half full most games. It's surely time for more imaginative approaches to getting more people through the gates.
You are in a dream world.

Them who want to stand do stand. Mostly in the East around Section 43.

If you want to fill Easter Road we need a successful and attractive team on the park. That needs to be sustained to bring back the lost supporters. That needs an increase in the playing budget.

This would involve spending an unknown sum of money on converting the Lower FF, pissing off all the people dislocated from the FF stand, not to mention those dislocated from the East to make way for the new Family Stand.

The cost quoted of £80 per seat is ridiculously low. The sliding seats alone cost £84 before you start to consider the cost of removing the seats and adapting the terrace. I suspect they will not simply bolt to the concrete but will require to be cast in. To replace around 2,000 seats in the Lower FF would be very expensive. Spend the money on the team not on crackpot ideas.

All to satisfy a few deluded obsessives who are trying to relive their youth.

marinello59
17-06-2016, 05:16 AM
I do despair at times.

Winning the Scottish Cup and appointing somebody like Neil Lennon as manager would probably help. If only Hibs could do that.

Pete
17-06-2016, 05:45 AM

If you want to fill Easter Road we need a successful and attractive team on the park. That needs to be sustained to bring back the lost supporters. That needs an increase in the playing budget.

This would involve spending an unknown sum of money on converting the Lower FF, pissing off all the people dislocated from the FF stand, not to mention those dislocated from the East to make way for the new Family Stand.

The cost quoted of £80 per seat is ridiculously low. The sliding seats alone cost £84 before you start to consider the cost of removing the seats and adapting the terrace. I suspect they will not simply bolt to the concrete but will require to be cast in. To replace around 2,000 seats in the Lower FF would be very expensive. Spend the money on the team not on crackpot ideas.

That's a rather silly conclusion you have come to...and those who want to stand certainly don't unless they are at the back of a stand most of the time.

It's a success abroad and something that fans over here want so it's great that the idea is being considered. All eyes will be on Parkead to see how it goes down and once it gets rave reviews the snowball will start rolling and the initial investment in safe standing will become a short term pain for most clubs.

It's going to happen eventually and I can't wait.

jacomo
17-06-2016, 06:55 AM
Winning the Scottish Cup and appointing somebody like Neil Lennon as manager would probably help. If only Hibs could do that.

Yes of course. We seem to be seeing a welcome increase in ST sales and hopefully an increase in walk ups too.

Not quite sure why the need for sarcasm? Bringing in a standing area is not an alternative to achieving results on the park.

Kato
17-06-2016, 07:27 AM
I remember being at Hampden years ago when the crowd was 137,438.

What game was that, mate?

Killiehibbie
17-06-2016, 07:38 AM
What game was that, mate?
I reckon that would be against England 1970.

Moulin Yarns
17-06-2016, 07:41 AM

Or maybe this

136,505. Celtic v Leeds Utd, 1970 - All-time record for a UEFA competition game.

Golden Bear
17-06-2016, 07:49 AM
Or maybe this

136,505. Celtic v Leeds Utd, 1970 - All-time record for a UEFA competition game.

I confess to be being in attendance at that game with 3 smelltic supporting mates. It was a brilliant game played in an unbelievable atmosphere, no such thing as health & safety restrictions in them far off days.

HappyHanlon
17-06-2016, 07:54 AM

They really are! Sitting down at football is boring.

Waxy
17-06-2016, 07:56 AM
I wouldnt expect to pay less for standing.Doubt anyone would.

Kato
17-06-2016, 08:06 AM

Or maybe this

I confess to be being in attendance at that game with 3 smelltic supporting mates. It was a brilliant game played in an unbelievable atmosphere, no such thing as health & safety restrictions in them far off days.

Cheers, guys. Interesting as I didn't know they were ramming them in so tight at such a late date.

.Sean.
17-06-2016, 08:12 AM
Or maybe this

Why wasn't it played at Celtic Park??

Killiehibbie
17-06-2016, 08:14 AM
Why wasn't it played at Celtic Park??
They used to move their big games to get more in. Rangers did as well, 143,000 for a League game against us.

green&left
17-06-2016, 08:27 AM

What would the initial investment be, £200,000? Take that over 30-40 years or however long the seats and stand will last and its pennies really.

.Sean.
17-06-2016, 08:30 AM
Could Amit or Frank take it to the board about supporters contributing to the cost of installation??

Dashing Bob S
17-06-2016, 08:31 AM
If it was up to me I'd rip out all the seats but keep them there for rival fans to throw at each other.

Today's generation of football fan is far too mollycoddled.

lucky
17-06-2016, 08:38 AM
Totally against Hibs spending money on a safe standing area. All our cash should be spent on players to help us get promoted. I suspect it would be a lot more than £200k that's being suggested. If we ever get to the point where the ground is to small and there's a demand for it then it's worth considering. But for me I like all seated stadiums.

marinello59
17-06-2016, 08:40 AM
Yes of course. We seem to be seeing a welcome increase in ST sales and hopefully an increase in walk ups too.

Not quite sure why the need for sarcasm? Bringing in a standing area is not an alternative to achieving results on the park.

Until we get promoted it can't be a priority though. Every penny just now needs to go in to the team. Id love to see it installed but not right now.

jacomo
17-06-2016, 08:49 AM
Until we get promoted it can't be a priority though. Every penny just now needs to go in to the team. Id love to see it installed but not right now.

Yes, no disagreement from me on that.

We have the advantage of being able to watch what happens with Celtc's new standing area and learn from their experience.

Kato
17-06-2016, 09:06 AM
If it was up to me I'd rip out all the seats but keep them there for rival fans to throw at each other.

Agreed, it would be so character building.

Pretty Boy
17-06-2016, 09:06 AM
What would the initial investment be, £200,000? Take that over 30-40 years or however long the seats and stand will last and its pennies really.
I'd suggest the cost would be higher than £200K. When ICT looked into this several years ago each rail seat alone cost £60 then. Factor in inflation and labour, about 2-3 months worth if the Celtic example is anything to go by, and that's a hefty outlay.

The actual cost is irrelevant anyway imo. I don't see any short to mid term financial gain out of it and in the end what it all boils down to is whether people would rather have a Liam Henderson on the park or a rail seat in the stand. That's the reality as Hibs don't have a spare hundred thousand plus just waiting to be spent.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

HappyAsHellas
17-06-2016, 09:07 AM
I would love a standing area as I find sitting for the game just sucks the atmosphere out of it somehow. But this has to come after promotion and an upswing in attendances. It works all over Europe, why not here?

snooky
17-06-2016, 09:59 AM

I couldn't physically stand for a whole game these days as my back would kill me. Because of that, I prefer to sit.
If I could stand for the duration I would. Nothing to do with reliving my youth, btw.

Dashing Bob S
17-06-2016, 10:01 AM
Agreed, it would be so character building.

I'd go further and rip the roofs off the stands and have jets squirting steaming hot urine from the latrines down the collars of supporters, in order to bring back that authentic old-school terrace feel.

snooky
17-06-2016, 10:09 AM
I'd go further and rip the roofs off the stands and have jets squirting steaming hot urine from the latrines down the collars of supporters, in order to bring back that authentic old-school terrace feel.

Count me in. Bob :aok:

Kato
17-06-2016, 10:12 AM

Modern technology used to bring about old-school character building experience. Gets better and better.

--------
17-06-2016, 10:33 AM

What about some sort of device to lob opened beer-cans full of piss over our heads so we could have the authentic 1960's Derby/OF atmosphere again. The sharp edges of the cans adds a certain je ne sais quoi to the experience, I feel.

The jets should pour a stream of piss down the steps of the standing area - enough to get right inside your shoes so you have to bin them and your socks (and possibly your trousers as well) when you get home?

Encourage folk to bring along their empty bottles as well for that old-fashioned "shrapnel" effect?

Nothing says "authentic 60's football experience" as accurately as a four-inch scalp laceration and serious concussion, surely?

Take the handrails out of the stairways and we could have our very own Easter Road Disaster ....

LaMotta
17-06-2016, 04:52 PM

Good idea - would also likely see an extra season ticket sale to a Mr G Locke from Midlothian......

marinello59
17-06-2016, 05:16 PM

I'm pretty sure that the cans and other assorted debris thrown at us by St Mirrren fans on the terracing in the late '70's was neatly piled up for us to chuck back at them the next time we played there. The first example of recycling in action I can recall.

jacomo
17-06-2016, 07:05 PM
I'd suggest the cost would be higher than £200K. When ICT looked into this several years ago each rail seat alone cost £60 then. Factor in inflation and labour, about 2-3 months worth if the Celtic example is anything to go by, and that's a hefty outlay.

The actual cost is irrelevant anyway imo. I don't see any short to mid term financial gain out of it and in the end what it all boils down to is whether people would rather have a Liam Henderson on the park or a rail seat in the stand. That's the reality as Hibs don't have a spare hundred thousand plus just waiting to be spent.

I am not advocating installing a standing section this summer. It's too late, and we've got other priorities.

But... this kind of thinking is reductive. Solely focused on cost and totally ignoring benefit.

Let's say, for the sake of argument, we introduced 2,000 capacity standing area and it increased ST sales by 2,000. It would pay for itself straightaway.

Pretty Boy
17-06-2016, 07:12 PM
I am not advocating installing a standing section this summer. It's too late, and we've got other priorities.

But... this kind of thinking is reductive. Solely focused on cost and totally ignoring benefit.

Let's say, for the sake of argument, we introduced 2,000 capacity standing area and it increased ST sales by 2,000. It would pay for itself straightaway.
I'm not ignoring benefit, I've previously said I'd love to stand at games and if there is away to do it that doesn't impact on the team then I'd back it.

What I don't believe is that there are 2000 people unwilling to buy a ST because they can't stand. The patrons of any safe standing area will likely be those who currently attend decamping from elsewhere.

West lower
17-06-2016, 07:51 PM
I spent 30 years on the old terrace. I have now wandered over to the west stand because I have future generation hibbies on tow. I don't like behind the goals so spend a couple quid more than I would in FF lower. There are many folk like myself who are in the same boat. 40 years of supporting Hibs. We are not boring old geezers. We are bringing in the next East stand fans. What I find astonishing is that people think we should just up seat and be grateful coz it might ( debatable) bring in another couple hundred . Why not take the seats out in the east and see how much it puts on the gate ? I would love to see a packed standing stadium, as I miss it big time, but let's not have some fans telling other fans what is good for Hibs. We have earned the right to be moaning old f...s in the west.
Rant over.

JeMeSouviens
23-06-2016, 12:22 PM
Celtc have started installing this:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CljmyCzWMAA6BOb.jpg:large

Amit
29-06-2016, 12:04 PM
Could Amit or Frank take it to the board about supporters contributing to the cost of installation??

Hi Sean,

I think safe standing is a great idea and the club are already of the view on this. However, I'm sure you appreciate that any funding would need to be sourced elsewhere as all funds need to go towards Neil's budget to achieve promotion.

If there is a real desire from fans to pay for the installation, it would be helpful to get any analysis done of how many people and how much funding they would (on average) be able/willing to provide. We can then present this to our fellow board members.

Thanks,

Amit

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ChrissyG1875
29-06-2016, 12:21 PM
Hi Sean,

I think safe standing is a great idea and the club are already of the view on this. However, I'm sure you appreciate that any funding would need to be sourced elsewhere as all funds need to go towards Neil's budget to achieve promotion.

If there is a real desire from fans to pay for the installation, it would be helpful to get any analysis done of how many people and how much funding they would (on average) be able/willing to provide. We can then present this to our fellow board members.

Thanks,

Amit

I would definitely contribute towards this

Tamhere1875
29-06-2016, 12:35 PM
FFS lower would be a no go due to the boxes at the back of the stand

Waxy
29-06-2016, 12:37 PM
Yes i would pay a direct debit for this.

Bobo
29-06-2016, 12:51 PM
Price per seat back in 2011 was €100 (£84) each not including installation cost so, as an example, you are probably looking at over £250k for 2500 seats.

.Sean.
29-06-2016, 03:12 PM
Be more than happy to pay the cost of the conversion of a seat if others were of the same mindset.

.Sean.
29-06-2016, 03:13 PM
Famous Five lower would be my preferred place if it came to fruition.

marinello59
29-06-2016, 04:23 PM
How much are people willing to pay though?

Waxy
29-06-2016, 04:30 PM
Fill in the corner with a safe standing area.

NAE NOOKIE
29-06-2016, 04:32 PM
Hi Sean,

Thanks,

Amit

Good to hear the club aren't against the idea of safe standing ..... But please don't make it half of the East or something like that coz it will look terrible .... Upper or lower FF is the only thing that's going to look good and keep the stadium balanced.

CapitalGreen
29-06-2016, 04:34 PM
Front rows of the east, do it on a section by section basis and add the cost onto a season ticket for that area.