PDA

View Full Version : BT Sport- Champions League

Heedersnvolleys
09-06-2015, 09:53 AM
Just seen the press launch of the Champions league for BT Sport. Still free! Unbelievable!

matty_f
09-06-2015, 09:57 AM
Just seen the press launch of the Champions league for BT Sport. Still free! Unbelievable!

I haven't seen it yet, I'm surprised - the Daily Mail were reporting that it was going to be an additional £5 for the Champions League.

Aldo
09-06-2015, 09:57 AM

Is it FREE.

I thought they might charge for it.

Is it a new BT channel??

I've got BT on my Virgin XL package and BT is included. Wonder if I'll get that channel. Shall check when I get in??

nellio
09-06-2015, 10:00 AM
Same as me with the Virgin package. I think they will just add it on because the cost is incorporated in the package (which they seems the increase every so often). Most likley they will add it and just incease the cost by a few quid a few months later.

matty_f
09-06-2015, 10:03 AM
Is it FREE.

I thought they might charge for it.

Is it a new BT channel??

I've got BT on my Virgin XL package and BT is included. Wonder if I'll get that channel. Shall check when I get in??

It's free if you have BT TV, apparently. Five quid otherwise.

Aldo
09-06-2015, 10:05 AM
It's free if you have BT TV, apparently. Five quid otherwise.

Is it.

Will have a wee look when I get in and see if I have a message from them about it.

Heedersnvolleys
09-06-2015, 10:05 AM
£5 to watch it on Sky but free if you have the BT Sport on the BT platform.

New BT Sport Europe channel

Also launching an ultra HD Europeean channel.

matty_f
09-06-2015, 10:06 AM
£5 to watch it on Sky but free if you have the BT Sport on the BT platform.

New BT Sport Europe channel

Also launching an ultra HD Europeean channel.

Looking forward to seeing the ultra HD coverage, the 4k TV's are spectacular. Gives me an excuse to buy one as well!

pontius pilate
09-06-2015, 10:07 AM
I spoke to a virgin rep last night about this as I removed my sports package. Virgin are unsure what is happening with the bt sports package as it is going to be a new channel BT sports Europe. They are currently the only provider who don't ask for an additional cost for the current BT sports channels so it's up in the air at the moment

matty_f
09-06-2015, 10:09 AM
I spoke to a virgin rep last night about this as I removed my sports package. Virgin are unsure what is happening with the bt sports package as it is going to be a new channel BT sports Europe. They are currently the only provider who don't ask for an additional cost for the current BT sports channels so it's up in the air at the moment

Will be interesting to see what BT do with it, they paid well over the odds to get the rights for the CL and you'd think they'd want to get it back.

The CL isn't as big a draw as you might think, of the top 40 games watched on Sky Sports this season, only one was a CL game - the Premiership is a much bigger pull for audiences.

nellio
09-06-2015, 10:12 AM

WIll be dissapointed if they start to charge an addional fee for it on top of the package. One of the reasons they keep putting the price up is because they add channels etc. Would feel ripped off if they start charging a fiver a month for this. Mind you likley they will just include it and then put the cost up by a fiver!

Heedersnvolleys
09-06-2015, 10:13 AM
Also launching BT Sport Showcase which is going to be a Freeview channel where you can watch a CL game for free. The said each British side would be shown at least once in the group stages on this channel.

liamh2202
09-06-2015, 10:15 AM
Is it still free through the app with BT broadband?

Salt N Sauzee
09-06-2015, 10:15 AM
Howard Webb part of the Pundit Team.

Must be for the Man United games :hmmm:

Haymaker
09-06-2015, 10:53 AM

Could be a good thing, providing summary of refs decisions from a refs view?

jacomo
09-06-2015, 11:01 AM

Ya beauty! Coverage which was free to air for all is now no added cost for some people (so long as they are paying monthly subscriptions already).

Aren't we lucky? I'm gonna write to the PM this morning to say thank you for allowing me to live in such a beautiful country!

:wink:

Heedersnvolleys
09-06-2015, 11:02 AM

Steve G, Gary Lugs, Rio and Hoddle as well as Jake.

pontius pilate
09-06-2015, 11:09 AM
Also for virgin customers premier sports will be free from the 10th June until 10th August. I have no idea if the channel is any good or not but it's a free sports channel for two months.

Must add that's for those on virgin TV xl package

Salt N Sauzee
09-06-2015, 11:11 AM
Could be a good thing, providing summary of refs decisions from a refs view?

In all seriousness I think it's a good idea too. Willie Collum on Sportscene next!!

Big fan on Lineker. So very glad Robbie Savage isn't on the panel. Erse.

Gatecrasher
09-06-2015, 11:17 AM
for an extra £5 they can bugger off, I hardly watched it anyway.

we are hibs
09-06-2015, 11:19 AM
Also for virgin customers premier sports will be free from the 10th June until 10th August. I have no idea if the channel is any good or not but it's a free sports channel for two months.

theyre covering the copa America with Argentina, Brazil, Columbia ect

Green Man
09-06-2015, 11:27 AM

It was the same when BT Sport first launched, Virgin had no info leading up to it and I think it was actually unavailable on Virgin for a short while after it launched. When it was ESPN, that was part of the XL package (as BT Sport is now) so I think a lot of negotiations were going on at the time.

HUTCHYHIBBY
09-06-2015, 11:58 AM

That'll do very nicely.

HH81
09-06-2015, 12:17 PM
Premier sports is class for the Aus RL.

Andy Bee
09-06-2015, 01:50 PM
BT Sport Europe is previewing now on my box, ch 1249, there's also a BT Sport/ESPN HD channel which I think is new.

HUTCHYHIBBY
09-06-2015, 02:54 PM
BT Sport Europe is previewing now on my box, ch 1249, there's also a BT Sport/ESPN HD channel which I think is new.

Channels 529 & 530 on Virgin TV.

DH1875
09-06-2015, 04:52 PM
Is it not the case that at least one CL game each week has to be shown on a free to air TV channel? I know that's how it works in some of the other European countries and always thought that was one of the reasons ITV had games.

Just Alf
09-06-2015, 05:20 PM
Is it not the case that at least one CL game each week has to be shown on a free to air TV channel? I know that's how it works in some of the other European countries and always thought that was one of the reasons ITV had games.

:agree: ... If I've read it right the new BT Sports Showcase channel is the free to air channel where those games will be shown, also looks like EVERY game will be available live, if not via the channels then via red button or TV App.

hfc rd
23-06-2015, 10:23 PM
I just got an e-mail saying that my BT Sport package is going to increase by a fiver due to the inclusion of this new channel.

What happens if you don't want the channel, will that mean your whole BT Sport package is going to stop?

3pm
23-06-2015, 10:52 PM
I just got an e-mail saying that my BT Sport package is going to increase by a fiver due to the inclusion of this new channel.

What happens if you don't want the channel, will that mean your whole BT Sport package is going to stop?

Can opt out. It's in the email.

Spike Mandela
24-06-2015, 04:54 AM
I optrd out. Don't watch that many CL games anyway. Find the league part very boring. Will still get some Premier league and Scottish games though.

Danderhall Hibs
24-06-2015, 05:37 AM
Disappointed with this. As well as not getting the champions league you lose the fa cup and European rugby. I think you lose super bikes as well.

I feel they set the expectation that if you were a broadband customer you'd get bt sport free but they've gone back on that.

sambajustice
24-06-2015, 06:36 AM
Can someone explain in layman's terms how BT Sport works...

Is it correct that if you have Sky, you sign up and get it through your TV but if you have just the BT Vision Freeview, to get BT Sports you have to sign up to their broadband package and you can only watch the cgannel by streaming it through your computer??

DH1875
24-06-2015, 06:51 AM
I'm guessing if your a virgin XL customer you could be set to lose BT sports if they've risen the price. Maybe that's why premier sports is free at the moment and their looking to do a deal with them to replace BT sport long term.

Aldo
24-06-2015, 07:10 AM
I'm guessing if your a virgin XL customer you could be set to lose BT sports if they've risen the price. Maybe that's why premier sports is free at the moment and their looking to do a deal with them to replace BT sport long term.

Hope not as I am one of those customers.

Also noticed that ESPN recent changed to BT ESPN. Looks like they are taking what's theirs and doing one.

Like I say I hope not??

Sir David Gray
24-06-2015, 07:26 AM
Can someone explain in layman's terms how BT Sport works...

Is it correct that if you have Sky, you sign up and get it through your TV but if you have just the BT Vision Freeview, to get BT Sports you have to sign up to their broadband package and you can only watch the cgannel by streaming it through your computer??

I might be wrong but i don't think you can get BT TV unless you also have their broadband as the TV package is web based.

If you're a Sky customer and don't have BT broadband, you need to contact BT and they then activate your viewing card. You can either activate it on a rolling monthly contract but there's an activation fee each time you start it up, i think it's £30. Alternatively you can sign up on a 12 month contract and just pay the monthly cost, which i think is £15 but there's no activation fee.

bigstu
24-06-2015, 07:32 AM
BT getting the champions league is a pain in the arse, i already pay Sky an absolute fortune & now I need to pay another £15 a month if i want to watch the Champions League games on BT!

Steve20
24-06-2015, 07:37 AM
I'm with Virgin Media and there's nothing about getting the channel for the Champions League games at all, even paying extra a month.

Pretty Boy
24-06-2015, 07:37 AM

Rio Ferdinand can tell us all how English players are overpriced again, maybe he'll remember the near £52M spent on him in the early 00s this time.

Pretty Boy
24-06-2015, 07:41 AM
BT getting the champions league is a pain in the arse, i already pay Sky an absolute fortune & now I need to pay another £15 a month if i want to watch the Champions League games on BT!

I got rid of my entire sports package, I wasn't interested in 95% of the games shown and the few I was watching were out of habit. I still have BT as part of my Virgin package but won't be paying any additional charge for the CL.

If I do want to watch a game it's far cheaper to go to the pub 2 or 3 times a month and it takes about 30 seconds on Google to find any sporting event you could ever want to watch for free.

sambajustice
24-06-2015, 07:51 AM
I might be wrong but i don't think you can get BT TV unless you also have their broadband as the TV package is web based.

If you're a Sky customer and don't have BT broadband, you need to contact BT and they then activate your viewing card. You can either activate it on a rolling monthly contract but there's an activation fee each time you start it up, i think it's £30. Alternatively you can sign up on a 12 month contract and just pay the monthly cost, which i think is £15 but there's no activation fee.

Cool, cheers. So if you dont have Sky you have stream the BT Channels through your laptop or one of those Smart TV set ups!

GordonHFC
24-06-2015, 07:54 AM
I tried to cancel BT Sport last summer but they offered me it free for the summer. They forgot to charge me so I got the whole of last season free. Will be cancelling now though.

Danderhall Hibs
24-06-2015, 07:56 AM

They told me I needed fibre broadband to get bt tv but then went on to tell me fibre's not available at my address!

YehButNoBut
24-06-2015, 08:09 AM
Hope not as I am one of those customers.

Also noticed that ESPN recent changed to BT ESPN. Looks like they are taking what's theirs and doing one.

Like I say I hope not??

I was told that BT Sports on the XL package will run until 2016 at least.
Virgin have still to agree with BT Sport the cost of the new Europe channel, but for XL users will either be another £5 to add this channel or hopefully free until 2016, but should not effect the existing sports channels.

Aldo
24-06-2015, 08:14 AM
I was told that BT Sports on the XL package will run until 2016 at least. Virgin have still to agree with BT Sport the cost of the new Europe channel, but for XL users will either be another £5 to add this channel or hopefully free until 2016, but should not effect the existing sports channels.

Sounds promising! Will just have to wait and see what comes of it all.

Cheers

Sir David Gray
24-06-2015, 08:21 AM
Cool, cheers. So if you dont have Sky you have stream the BT Channels through your laptop or one of those Smart TV set ups!

I'm not entirely sure how it works but i'm pretty certain that if you take BT's TV package, you also need their broadband.

The other option is if you can get Virgin in your area, as others have said. BT seems to have a better relationship with Virgin than they do with Sky but not everyone can get Virgin.

greenlad
24-06-2015, 08:31 AM
They told me I needed fibre broadband to get bt tv but then went on to tell me fibre's not available at my address!

There has been a subtle movement of the goalposts in the last 2 weeks, they now offer BT Sport through BTTV through Copper Multicast (as they have done since May last year) but previously were only giving this by exception if you couldn't get Infinity (BT's fibre) - now, although they don't actively push it, they will let you complete an order for BTTV, and add BT Sport for "free" through standard BT Broadband - PROVIDED your area can at least support Copper Multicast.

They still insist on you needing Infinity for any other "extra" channels like Gold, Discovery, Eurosport though (plus the option of taking Sky Sports 1 and 2) annd you can't watch one sport channel and record another, which is no big deal.

Only annoying if you are starting from the position that Sky is the "default" provider, and you have a love of WWE, cricket and rugby league.

By way of balance its been a PITA that Sky (a brand toxic to millions by association with Murdoch) have basically hoovered up virtually all the top-end football over the last 15 years and refreshing that there is now genuine competition - as someone who spends much of my weekend out watching Hibs games so rarely has time to watch overhyped mediocre English football, but does have an interest in Serie A and Bundesliga, its great that BT Sport covers these (very very well BTW - their Sunday night football show with James Richardson is top-notch in its analysis) and has now added the highest level of club football in the world in the Champions League as well as the Europa League (which Sky has never bothered with IIRC). Only paying around £33 per month (inc line rental) for Broadband/Youview/Calls/BT Sport - a quick squiz at Sky's website shows that you can't get anything similar with them (ie the most basic TV package with Sky Sports added) for anything less than £60.

Bristolhibby
24-06-2015, 04:08 PM
I'm in the horns of a dilemma.

Sky for me is the only NFL channel. I also like the big English games.

However BT has all the English rugby, and I'd imagine all the Hibs games. Really want them as well.

Do not fancy forking out £45 a month for both subscriptions.

I would love a NFL, Rugby @ & Scottish football channel.

J

HH81
24-06-2015, 04:47 PM
BH, Sky has the English rugby.

I have both and think it is worth it.

DH1875
24-06-2015, 07:08 PM

However BT has all the English rugby, and I'd imagine all the Hibs games. Really want them as well.

J

Check out gamepass for the NFL.
Because every game is shown by gamepass online, there are plenty of other links out there to look at ;)

Eyrie
24-06-2015, 08:21 PM

J
That would suit me, although it's the Pro 12 and European rugby I watch.

Check out gamepass for the NFL.
Because every game is shown by gamepass online, there are plenty of other links out there to look at ;)
Gamepass is good for your own team, but you get blacked out if Sky are showing that game. Very handy for the overnight games because of the speeded up version that only takes 30 minutes for all the snaps.

Bristolhibby
25-06-2015, 07:07 AM
Was thinking about game pass and ditching sky. Can you get game pass on the Xbox 360? As I don't want to lose the HD. Not fussed about the blackout as I don't have a team.

I'm more concerned with pausing the play, putting the kids to bed and then resuming.

J

Gatecrasher
25-06-2015, 08:24 AM
Was thinking about game pass and ditching sky. Can you get game pass on the Xbox 360? As I don't want to lose the HD. Not fussed about the blackout as I don't have a team.

I'm more concerned with pausing the play, putting the kids to bed and then resuming.

J

I have gamepass and it's great but has a couple of downsides. Before I get into that the best way I have found to watch gamepass is via a Chromecast.

he downsides are: Sky have exclusivity on the playoffs so any play off games can't be viewed for 24 hours, the black outs are a pain as it can be the best game of the day on a blackout however if you watch Redzone that will show you all the talking points as they happen anyway.

the other main downside for me is that once the season is over I hardly watch it other than the draft and Hard Knocks. But the advantages outweigh the disadvantages by a mile. If it wasn't for the Hibs games and CFB I would have never taken out BT.

jdships
25-06-2015, 08:58 AM
I have had BT Broadband since it started, took on BT Sport a year ago and have now signed up for CL
Have to say I have really enjoyed BT Sport presentations and their service - no problems after an initial glitch in setting up BT Sport
Gave up on Sky two years ago out of frustration at trying to get problems fixed.

:thumbsup:

Bristolhibby
25-06-2015, 11:17 AM
I have gamepass and it's great but has a couple of downsides. Before I get into that the best way I have found to watch gamepass is via a Chromecast.

he downsides are: Sky have exclusivity on the playoffs so any play off games can't be viewed for 24 hours, the black outs are a pain as it can be the best game of the day on a blackout however if you watch Redzone that will show you all the talking points as they happen anyway.

the other main downside for me is that once the season is over I hardly watch it other than the draft and Hard Knocks. But the advantages outweigh the disadvantages by a mile. If it wasn't for the Hibs games and CFB I would have never taken out BT.

Aye, was having a read, that Sky blackout for the playoffs is a *******! No point going for the £129 package and just go for the £99. The Super Bowl will be on C4 anyway.

However the quantity of content looks superb. Tell me, after 24hrs blackout do you get access to the full game and the 30 minute "highlights"?

Also, I presume I can just log in and pick up where I left off with a game.

J

Gatecrasher
25-06-2015, 11:33 AM
Aye, was having a read, that Sky blackout for the playoffs is a *******! No point going for the £129 package and just go for the £99. The Super Bowl will be on C4 anyway.

However the quantity of content looks superb. Tell me, after 24hrs blackout do you get access to the full game and the 30 minute "highlights"?

Also, I presume I can just log in and pick up where I left off with a game.

J

yeah, you get the full game. They take the adverts and half time out so it's only the broadcast you watch. I don't know if you can just pick up where you left off though but you can scroll to where you were. I started off with the £99 package then got an email to upgrade to the full package for £15 about a third of the way into the season and decided to take them up on that.

Bristolhibby
25-06-2015, 12:23 PM
Can you watch it on an Xbox 360? Or is it worth just paying the £30 for chrome cast? Also, how do you control cromecast? Is there a remote, or can I do it through my iPhone?

Cheers

J

Gatecrasher
25-06-2015, 12:56 PM
Can you watch it on an Xbox 360? Or is it worth just paying the £30 for chrome cast? Also, how do you control cromecast? Is there a remote, or can I do it through my iPhone?

Cheers

J

I don't have an Xbox so I don't know sorry, I know the NFL has some sort of deal with xbox but that's it. Your phone or tablet becomes the controller with the chromecast, There is a button you press on the phone and the video moves from your phone to the TV, its really good it works with youtube bbc iplayer and most of the other catch up/video players.

Gatecrasher
25-06-2015, 05:12 PM
We are just off the phone with BT and basically we told them we only have BT for the Scottish football and that we weren't interested in the champions league . They gave us the full package for 12 months at the price we were paying prior to the ucl announcement. I'll take that at the moment I think they are eventually going to force the £20 per month though .

YehButNoBut
16-07-2015, 09:47 PM
Virgin to add BT Sport Europe to the XL package but the cost of the package will rise by £3 a month from September, seems ok to me £3 isn't much to pay to see all the European games.

http://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/news/broadband/virgin-media-increases-xl-tv-package-price-00570

Sir David Gray
16-07-2015, 10:27 PM
Virgin to add BT Sport Europe to the XL package but the cost of the package will rise by £3 a month from September, seems ok to me £3 isn't much to pay to see all the European games.

http://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/news/broadband/virgin-media-increases-xl-tv-package-price-00570

How will it be £52 a month? I make that £36 a month for their XL package as it's currently £33 a month. :dunno:

Meanwhile if you're a Sky customer, the equivalent package would cost you £60 a month and you'll also need to pay a £15 activation fee for BT Sport. :rolleyes:

liamh2202
17-07-2015, 06:47 AM

You can get BT TV.. Just not the sports through your TV. You have to watch it through the app

DH1875
17-07-2015, 07:26 AM
How will it be £52 a month? I make that £36 a month for their XL package as it's currently £33 a month. :dunno:

Does that include phone & broadband as well?

Sir David Gray
17-07-2015, 09:25 AM
Does that include phone & broadband as well?

Nope it doesn't even include sports or movies.

The XL package on Virgin is pretty much the equivalent of the Family package on Sky. The difference being Virgin customers also get BT Sport. The Family package on Sky is £36 a month with the BT Sport HD package being £23.99 a month on a 12 month contract.