PDA

View Full Version : The Easter Road Pie

12AlbionPlace
07-06-2015, 10:42 AM
Always a controversial subject, here's an independent viewpoint

http://meatfilledpastries.com/2015/06/07/pie-99-the-hibernian-pie/

NAE NOOKIE
07-06-2015, 10:57 AM
The steak pies are OK he should have tried one of them, though they do have a 'very' annoying habit of sticking to the tin foil and falling to bits when you try to pull them out.

Colr
07-06-2015, 11:15 AM
The steak pies are OK he should have tried one of them, though they do have a 'very' annoying habit of sticking to the tin foil and falling to bits when you try to pull them out.

Mutton pie only for football......with a cup of Oxo.

hibbybrian
07-06-2015, 03:39 PM
Mutton pie only for football......with a cup of Oxo.

ER Mutton Pie circa 1987

Bovril advert on the old East Stand 1914

Danderhall Hibs
07-06-2015, 05:15 PM
Always a controversial subject, here's an independent viewpoint

http://meatfilledpastries.com/2015/06/07/pie-99-the-hibernian-pie/

It's not controversial - the price v quality is way wrong. Folk need I sop buying them though otherwise they won't do anything about it.

Colr
07-06-2015, 06:09 PM
ER Mutton Pie circa 1987

Bovril advert on the old East Stand 1914

Do I remember correctly, was it Oxo at Easter Road but Bovril at ***********?

Pretty Boy
07-06-2015, 06:14 PM
Whatever happened to that yellowy green grease that used to sit on top of a football pie?

E10 Rifle
07-06-2015, 06:27 PM
They are poor. The wee late night bakery on Leith Walk should provide them (they are awesome, especially as you stagger home late at night). But we're in the hands of contract caterers now and that will mean 3 quotes, and go for the cheapest.

Scouse Hibee
07-06-2015, 06:42 PM
Mass produced pies = ******.

E10 Rifle
07-06-2015, 07:03 PM
Mass produced pies = ******.

After Scott Allan signing an extension new pies should be our next priority

Viva_Palmeiras
07-06-2015, 08:31 PM
They are poor. The wee late night bakery on Leith Walk should provide them (they are awesome, especially as you stagger home late at night). But we're in the hands of contract caterers now and that will mean 3 quotes, and go for the cheapest.

Does it work that way ? I dunno but is it not more of an offer for the use of the facilities and perhaps a cut related to sales above a certain threshold?

mca
07-06-2015, 08:55 PM
I'm sure I read something " late 80`s " that Hibs beat or Nearly beat the Killie Pie.. We used to have a Pie League :wink:

E10 Rifle
07-06-2015, 10:05 PM
Does it work that way ? I dunno but is it not more of an offer for the use of the facilities and perhaps a cut related to sales above a certain threshold?

I would reckon most companies would have something similar to a 3 quote system in order to determine best value/profit but I would guess it's a flat 'license fee' for ER and and the license holder then determines what the market will pay for their food and drink in order to gain a worthwhile return. Our stalls are run by Centerplate based in North Staffordshire whom I doubt were chosen on providing the best Scotch Pies alone.

heretoday
07-06-2015, 10:28 PM
Hibs pies have always been rubbish. I am afraid Hearts can rightfully claim to be the Big Team where pies are concerned - certainly since 1963 when my own piequest began. The best pies used to be at Falkirk in the 60s and I had a good one at, oddly, Selhurst Park in the late 80s.

Aubenas
07-06-2015, 10:33 PM
One of my best memories at Easter Rd: an announcement in the 80s when I used to stand in the old Enclosure:
"Would the driver of the pie lorry please return to his vehicle, as it is on fire."
:thumbsup::agree::greengrin

iwasthere1972
07-06-2015, 10:39 PM
Think I may have been about 15 at the time and I can remember being in the coo shed and scoffing 5 mince pies. I even had a fish supper from the chippie in Albert Street after the match.

I'm now a veggie. Wouldn't like to think what rubbish was in those pies.

One year I came up from Guernsey to go and watch Hibs at Easter Road with my brother. I queued up at half time to get us a couple of pies from one of the wooden huts in the east terracing. It must have been about 1983 and before it was roofed. Anyway it took about 15 minutes for me to reach the front of the queue. I then proceeded to ask the server for two pies to which I got the reply 'We only sell match programs'. Aaaaaarrrrggghhhhh.

TheFamous1875
07-06-2015, 10:46 PM
I'd like there to be more of an effort for local, healthy food, but still have the pies n that, an'aw (fae Storries all-night bakery on Leith Walk! Steak pies are tidy, pished or no'!)

EdinMike
08-06-2015, 03:58 AM
Honestly the most I've ever bought is a Bovril in ER not because I'm health conscious.. But look at the things !! With the new cig rules at HT though I reckon you could jog to Greggs and get a lovely steak bake and get back in time...

E10 Rifle
08-06-2015, 06:42 AM
Honestly the most I've ever bought is a Bovril in ER not because I'm health conscious.. But look at the things !! With the new cig rules at HT though I reckon you could jog to Greggs and get a lovely steak bake and get back in time...

Interesting thought - maybe we could have a 'designated jogger' for each section of the stands? :hmmm:

Danderhall Hibs
08-06-2015, 07:55 AM
Interesting thought - maybe we could have a 'designated jogger' for each section of the stands? :hmmm:

Wonder if they'd consider deliveries?

Hermit Crab
08-06-2015, 08:49 AM
The steak pies at Easter rd are crap. Usually stick to the foil and have horrible fatty chewy bits in them. Introduce a fillet steak pie I say.

Bostonhibby
08-06-2015, 08:55 AM
Wallpaper paste between two slices of cardboard heated to 300 degrees Fahrenheit, sold at 50 times the cost of producing the object, what's not to like?

Paisley Hibby
08-06-2015, 09:41 AM
They were selling home made lentil soup at ER for a while last season. It was great , especially on a really cold day. But they didn't advertise it very well. Some of the staff didn't even seem to know they were selling it. Bring it back I say, along with stovies and mince rolls.

ManBearPig
08-06-2015, 09:50 AM
I tried the delicacy of the day during scotland game a steak and stout pie was actually decent apart from soggy bottom fell oot.

Bad Martini
08-06-2015, 11:12 AM
Right, lets just get one thing straight. The pies at Easter Road are shan. Sorry, but they are. Utterly diplorably shan. Now, in the context of Scott Allan's contract, our plans for setting up next season as we mean to go on and most other things, they are also right up there with the interest in how many snotters the board collectively pick from their beaks or such like but, let it be said for the record, according to my tastebuds; the pies ARE very shan. :na na:

I told ye all in a thread a few months back.

Nobody took this seriously enough.

You all thought just stone radge mentalness and didnt gie it more thought.

But, as I am saying and as I was going to say, the future isnae pies...

Aw naw. Pies, schmeyes. Thats aw bollocks.

The future, is....no ready...get ready...not shan pies...but.................

BIG

**** OFF

CHIPPY STYLE

C H I P S

How?

Well. I tell ye how.

They appease:
1) The vegetarians
2) The meat eaters
3) The health freaks (as we all ken vegetable oil is made wi lots of vegetables and is probably 10 of yer five a day)
4) The economy; chips are cheap (ye ken that saying) and so its good for the economy, thus saving our selves from a douple tripple super dooper dip recession
5) Any idiot can make chips
6) Even hearts fans and huns can make chips and indeed live on them...
7) ...but they're no gettin the gig. Naw, we source oor spuds from a big spare patch doon East Mains...
8) ...ship them into the Leith San Siro every Friday
9) ...have an army of peelers, spud sorters and cookers ready and awaiting and ka-****ing-boom....
10) ..come Saturday, we sell BIG FAT CHUNKY CHIPS to the masses. Everyone wins, nae hassle, nae pies, nae threads on pizza or **** all like that. No options, no nowt. The Ford Model. Chips or nowt. Super, uber, Hibs chips.

Now that will work? Right. It will.

I have it on good authority Dempster is doon East Mains with a pitch fork and 329084823984739278959 seeds, invoking this masterplan as we speak. :greengrin

Therefore, rid yer heids of shan pies, pizzas and all that pish.

The future, is tatties, cut into big **** off chips and sold for two pound a poke. Barry. Sorted. Nae bother.

ENDOF :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Onion
08-06-2015, 11:17 AM
An obvious project for our new Fan Directors to sort out. Give them something to do .

Bad Martini
08-06-2015, 11:21 AM
An obvious project for our new Fan Directors to sort out. Give them something to do .

Big chips??? Now yer talking :aok::top marks:rules::banana:

ManBearPig
08-06-2015, 11:25 AM
Right, lets just get one thing straight. The pies at Easter Road are shan. Sorry, but they are. Utterly diplorably shan. Now, in the context of Scott Allan's contract, our plans for setting up next season as we mean to go on and most other things, they are also right up there with the interest in how many snotters the board collectively pick from their beaks or such like but, let it be said for the record, according to my tastebuds; the pies ARE very shan. :na na:

I told ye all in a thread a few months back.

Nobody took this seriously enough.

You all thought just stone radge mentalness and didnt gie it more thought.

But, as I am saying and as I was going to say, the future isnae pies...

Aw naw. Pies, schmeyes. Thats aw bollocks.

The future, is....no ready...get ready...not shan pies...but.................

BIG

**** OFF

CHIPPY STYLE

C H I P S

How?

Well. I tell ye how.

They appease:
1) The vegetarians
2) The meat eaters
3) The health freaks (as we all ken vegetable oil is made wi lots of vegetables and is probably 10 of yer five a day)
4) The economy; chips are cheap (ye ken that saying) and so its good for the economy, thus saving our selves from a douple tripple super dooper dip recession
5) Any idiot can make chips
6) Even hearts fans and huns can make chips and indeed live on them...
7) ...but they're no gettin the gig. Naw, we source oor spuds from a big spare patch doon East Mains...
8) ...ship them into the Leith San Siro every Friday
9) ...have an army of peelers, spud sorters and cookers ready and awaiting and ka-****ing-boom....
10) ..come Saturday, we sell BIG FAT CHUNKY CHIPS to the masses. Everyone wins, nae hassle, nae pies, nae threads on pizza or **** all like that. No options, no nowt. The Ford Model. Chips or nowt. Super, uber, Hibs chips.

Now that will work? Right. It will.

I have it on good authority Dempster is doon East Mains with a pitch fork and 329084823984739278959 seeds, invoking this masterplan as we speak. :greengrin

Therefore, rid yer heids of shan pies, pizzas and all that pish.

The future, is tatties, cut into big **** off chips and sold for two pound a poke. Barry. Sorted. Nae bother.

ENDOF :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

It was genius before and it'll be genius again. Could become famous for the Hibs chips

Leeann!!!

ManBearPig
08-06-2015, 11:27 AM
You could even do a variety of toppings including cheese chippy sauce curry sauce.

portyhibernian
09-06-2015, 11:33 AM
Bad Martini, I like the cut of your jib!

Northernhibee
10-06-2015, 10:21 PM
I say we go the other direction. Sirloin steak, cooked medium rare (again using the Ford model) with a rocket salad, parmesan crusted pan fried baby new potatoes and a red wine jus. Glass of nice riocha to go with it instead of your bovril as well.

Let your cheap fried doo-dahs be the reserve of Gorgie. Proper, Hibs class food that Le God would appreciate.

I also make bitter chocolate and salted caramel brownies that could replace the ridiculously overpriced bags of sweets and **** too.

ManBearPig
10-06-2015, 10:43 PM
Maybe the above can be served in the west stand and hibs chips in the east

erin go bragh
12-06-2015, 02:21 PM

You could walk to Greggs and be quicker than waiting in they bloody queues at the kiosks.

GGTTH

anon1875
13-06-2015, 11:31 PM
what the **** man

So there you have it Pie 99, and to celebrate the penultimate entry into the Meat Filled Pastries Hall of Fame I have borrowed part of a little ditty from Mr. Jay Z:
If you’re having pie problems I feel bad for you son
I’ve had 99 pies but of fish I’ve had noneI’m on the pie patrol, high cholesterol
Pies that wanna make sure my casket’s closed
“Cardiac Arrythmia is a risk”, I know!
But I love food stupid what type of facts are those
If you grew up with football and a thirst for goals
You’d celebrate each minute with meat wrapped in dough
I’m a fair minded critic I’ll give anything a go,
If you don’t like meat pies you can press fast forward
Got beef not lamb then it’s steak that’s on show
A pie innuendo is always the way to go, ayyyoooo
Whether, moist or deep it’s easy being crass,
And here’s another one just for the lads…munchers
I don’t know what you rate your pastries as
or understand the intelligence that a butcher, baker has
Don’t forget the brown sauce, that’d be dumb
I’ve had 99 pies but of fish I’ve had none
Gravy!
99 Pies but of fish I’ve had none
If you’re having pie problems I feel bad for you son
I’ve had 99 pies but of fish I’d have none
Gravy!

E10 Rifle
14-06-2015, 09:23 AM
Cambridge Utd do bacon rolls and they are excellent (well it's bacon so 'excellent' goes without saying). I reckon they would be a welcome addition to our wide and varied current menu of the world!

blackpoolhibs
14-06-2015, 10:39 AM
I always stop off at Greggs when walking down Easter Road and buy a couple of pies. I have never been stopped from taking them in, they are better and cheaper.

Why anyone would by what they sell in the ground is beyond me.

iwasthere1972
14-06-2015, 01:26 PM
I always stop off at Greggs when walking down Easter Road and buy a couple of pies. I have never been stopped from taking them in, they are better and cheaper.

A couple? What about the other six that you smuggle in under your Hibs top? Oh wait a minute. :greengrin

IanM
14-06-2015, 01:34 PM
If they started selling Steak & Albert Kiddney pies I'd be first in queue

blackpoolhibs
14-06-2015, 01:38 PM
A couple? What about the other six that you smuggle in under your Hibs top? Oh wait a minute. :greengrin

:greengrin The other six were always reserved for another kind of Greig. :wink:

biggineurope
14-06-2015, 02:03 PM
No keen on oor pies at aw, I read above.. price v quality with price defo hammering quality. I do remember in 2005/2006 Nacho Novo enjoying a pie courtesy of the East stand right enough, wonder what his review would be ;-):greengrin:greengrin

liamh2202
14-06-2015, 02:05 PM

This is what I do , they can't stop you taking them in either. Same with the pictures I always take my own sweets . seemingly they used to be able to stop you but now they can't because of entrapment law ( something I got told and not something I'm an expert on)

iwasthere1972
14-06-2015, 02:33 PM
I used to throw a half dozen vegetarian sausage rolls in t'oven an hour or so before heading off to Easter Road then wrap them in tin foil. Three in one pocket of my jacket and three in the other one. That way I knew I was getting a balanced late lunch.

Nothing on the menu at Easter Road that would excite me. Anyway by providing my own scran I avoid having to queue for ages.

Simples.

BoomtownHibees
14-06-2015, 03:17 PM
The steak pies in Behind The Goals pre-match are 100 times better than the ones from the kiosks

Colr
14-06-2015, 08:25 PM
I go to White Hart Lane quite a bit. Multi-million dollar football club and the food is still utter ***** and it seems to always take them completely by surprise when lots of people want fed and watered at half time.

As long as people keep buying ***** at inflated prices, they will keep selling it.

Bad Martini
15-06-2015, 11:21 AM
I say we go the other direction. Sirloin steak, cooked medium rare (again using the Ford model) with a rocket salad, parmesan crusted pan fried baby new potatoes and a red wine jus. Glass of nice riocha to go with it instead of your bovril as well.

"We're gonny deep fry yer taaaaaaties.....Deep fry yer tatties, we're gonna deep fry yer tatties" :greengrin

Let your cheap fried doo-dahs be the reserve of Gorgie. Proper, Hibs class food that Le God would appreciate.

HOW DARE YOU!!!!!!! :cb

We'll be using the finest "Oil De La Vegeteeeble", direct from the groond of East Lothianshire, as I said in my fully costed and detailed plan. Tatteez, de la brek, as they say in the Treenent.

And Le God? You telling me you have no idea that when naebody was looking he fired straight doon to the Bronx, late on a Sunday night and snaffled a big two pound bag ay chips, nae salt, just plenty sauce and a tin of Irn Bru? :rolleyes:

I also make bitter chocolate and salted caramel brownies that could replace the ridiculously overpriced bags of sweets and **** too.

"Deep fry yer brownieesssssssssssss.....we're gonna deep fry yer brownies....deep fry yer brow....." ach, ye get it eh? :greengrin

The bottom line
_______________ <<<<

Is....

Tatties. Big, **** off tatties, cut into big, **** off chips. Sold in a traditional sheet of newspaper (Petrie has a couple of thousand bales of old Herald and Post stored for such an occassion under the Dunbar End) and two poond a skull. As I said. Genius.

Nae pissing around.

Just imagine those big, fat, not quite shrivelled but no greasy, lashings of BROON sauce and piping hot...chips...as ye stand and remember the bad auld days when we had pishy pies, pizza, sweeties, crisps etc. Aw bollocks.

MON THE CHIPS :aok:

Northernhibee
15-06-2015, 09:58 PM
"We're gonny deep fry yer taaaaaaties.....Deep fry yer tatties, we're gonna deep fry yer tatties" :greengrin

HOW DARE YOU!!!!!!! :cb

We'll be using the finest "Oil De La Vegeteeeble", direct from the groond of East Lothianshire, as I said in my fully costed and detailed plan. Tatteez, de la brek, as they say in the Treenent.

And Le God? You telling me you have no idea that when naebody was looking he fired straight doon to the Bronx, late on a Sunday night and snaffled a big two pound bag ay chips, nae salt, just plenty sauce and a tin of Irn Bru? :rolleyes:

"Deep fry yer brownieesssssssssssss.....we're gonna deep fry yer brownies....deep fry yer brow....." ach, ye get it eh? :greengrin

The bottom line
_______________ <<<<

Is....

Tatties. Big, **** off tatties, cut into big, **** off chips. Sold in a traditional sheet of newspaper (Petrie has a couple of thousand bales of old Herald and Post stored for such an occassion under the Dunbar End) and two poond a skull. As I said. Genius.

Nae pissing around.

Just imagine those big, fat, not quite shrivelled but no greasy, lashings of BROON sauce and piping hot...chips...as ye stand and remember the bad auld days when we had pishy pies, pizza, sweeties, crisps etc. Aw bollocks.

MON THE CHIPS :aok:

Can I at least get some proper vinegar on my chips?

Bad Martini
16-06-2015, 11:13 AM
Can I at least get some proper vinegar on my chips?

No problem.

Here >>> https://www.google.co.uk/maps/search/glasgow/data=!4m2!2m1!4b1?hl=en-GB&dg=dbrw&newdg=1

...and wipe yer feet on the way oot again :aok::thumbsup: