PDA

View Full Version : Vermaelen - the new Dave Beaumont

Springbank
07-06-2015, 07:28 AM
Dave Beaumont was a jobbing defender for Hibs who made 80 appearances for the club between 1991 & 1995

He had one fantastic stat though that stood out.
* joined Hibs October 1991
* was unused sub (and medal winner) on bench when we won the League Cup 27/10/1991
* made his debut v Hearts ALREADY A MEDAL WINNER on 2 Nov 1991 when we paraded the cup.

facing him on his debut were hearts golden generation, during the period of 40-odd years when hearts won not a single trophy

The edinburgh footballers medal count that day read

1 - Dave beaumont
0 - Craig Levein, Gary Mackay, Henry smith, Scott crabbe, Neil berry, Alan maclaren, tosh mckinlay, a career and a trophy cabinet of emptiness and nearliness.

but today, this morning, world football may have found its new Dave beaumont.

check out Thomas vermaelen's stats for Barcelona.

played - 1

medals - champions league,
- copa del rey
- la liga

even Dave beaumont would blush at that, I suspect.
still, a good day to remember every Hibees favourite medal-winning non-playing cop.
mr beaumont finished his career with more winners medals than Craig Levein, Gary Mackay and Scott crabbe put together.

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/player.php?playerid=6343

JimBHibees
07-06-2015, 07:34 AM
Got to be said the only thing I remember Beaumont for is not taking out Foster when he scored the winner in the cup at ER.

Peevemor
07-06-2015, 07:54 AM
He scored against Anderlecht at ER.

CraigHibee
07-06-2015, 08:08 AM
i'm positive i seen him as a copper in the hibs end at a game we played against dunfermline a while ago

bingo70
07-06-2015, 08:08 AM
I couldn't stand Beaumont.

Looking back I was so young at the time I probably didn't know what was so ***** about him but I used to go nuts when I saw he was playing.

Was he really that bad or was I harsh?

s.a.m
07-06-2015, 08:14 AM
Did he not lay the ball on for Geebsy's hoodoo-busting goal at Tynecastle? (Or am I just re-creating history?)

Smartie
07-06-2015, 08:59 AM
Dave Beaumont was a jobby defender for Hibs.

CockneyRebel
07-06-2015, 10:19 AM
Got to be said the only thing I remember Beaumont for is not taking out Foster when he scored the winner in the cup at ER.

As I have said on here before, I still have nightmares about that goal. I don't advocate thuggery but you do have to take one for the team sometimes. I think it was probably the only chance the gunts had in the game.

Peevemor
07-06-2015, 11:07 AM
i'm positive i seen him as a copper in the hibs end at a game we played against dunfermline a while ago

He left Hibs to join the police. :agree:

JimBHibees
07-06-2015, 11:32 AM
As I have said on here before, I still have nightmares about that goal. I don't advocate thuggery but you do have to take one for the team sometimes. I think it was probably the only chance the gunts had in the game.

Can you imagine if it had been the other way round and a Hibee was going through one on one in injury time he would have been taken out for sure.

Future17
07-06-2015, 11:40 AM

Except the other goal they scored...:wink:

Springbank
07-06-2015, 12:05 PM
Dave Beaumont was a jobby defender for Hibs.

Hehe I'll tee them up, you finish them off :)

Holmesdale Hibs
07-06-2015, 12:21 PM
I remember has a mediocre squad player at the time. Bit like Neil Orr. Can't remember him being that good or bad but the. It was a long time ago.

Peevemor
07-06-2015, 01:00 PM
I remember has a mediocre squad player at the time. Bit like Neil Orr. Can't remember him being that good or bad but the. It was a long time ago.

Neil Orr, without being spectacular, was a consistent and solid player for Hibs from what I remember.

superfurryhibby
07-06-2015, 01:47 PM
Neil Orr, without being spectacular, was a consistent and solid player for Hibs from what I remember.

Orr was a grafting central midfielder, I think he served us well enough. Might have been better as a centre half though? Seem to recall that's where he played at Morton and West Ham.

Beaumont, all is remember is the Foster moment. WTF was he thinking of? Should have taken him down, taken him down.

Pretty Boy
07-06-2015, 03:11 PM
Can you imagine if it had been the other way round and a Hibee was going through one on one in injury time he would have been taken out for sure.

Most definitely.

We battered them in the 2nd half that day and should have been out of sight. Instead a spectacularly mediocre player like Wayne Foster gained semi legendary status.

I seem to remember a hell of a lot of derbies like that around that time.

lucky
07-06-2015, 03:17 PM
Did he not lay the ball on for Geebsy's hoodoo-busting goal at Tynecastle? (Or am I just re-creating history?)

Yes he did, https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4idGPlizJaE check out the Hibs fans invading the pitch including a dad with his boy on his shoulders

CockneyRebel
07-06-2015, 03:21 PM
Except the other goal they scored...:wink:

Must be a senior moment for me - remember it as a 1-0

FitbaFolkKen
07-06-2015, 04:18 PM

Saw this and it made me laugh, paddy power twitter is always on form!

Viva_Palmeiras
08-06-2015, 06:02 AM

Always though Henry reminded me of someone...

http://youtu.be/tGq7VcaHoqo

Viva_Palmeiras
08-06-2015, 06:05 AM
He left Hibs to join the police. :agree:

"Roaxanne... You don't have to out on the red light..."

Iggy Pope
08-06-2015, 01:17 PM

:wink:
Signed a new contract on stage at the HOH rally at the Usher Hall. Shouldn't need to remind anyone how pivotal things like that are.

Baader
08-06-2015, 02:15 PM
:wink:
Signed a new contract on stage at the HOH rally at the Usher Hall. Shouldn't need to remind anyone how pivotal things like that are.

Yeah Neil Orr was a good servant to Hibs and a solid underrated player. Played in a West Ham side that were always top flight and finished 3rd in 1986 before joining us. Remember him being a target for some of the boo boys later in his career with us which I thought was harsh.