PDA

View Full Version : What do people "feel"/think when we re-sign a player?

lyonhibs
05-06-2015, 08:45 AM
With the quality of squad we are carrying over from last season, the thought occurred to me that, for the first time practically since Yogi was around, I'm approaching this transfer window with the mentality that if we re-sign the majority (ideally all) of the out-of-contract players for next season plus a couple more "starting XI" ready new signings, I'll be more than happy with that, as opposed to the usual "there are 5+ players I never want to see in a Hibs strip again, get rid ASAP" of previous seasons.

The position of the goalkeeper is obviously the exception to this, but hey ho.

Anyway, what do people think when we re-sign a player who had previously fallen out of contract (or was about to go out of contract) vs. when we sign a "brand new" player?

For me, if the player re-signing is quality, then I feel it's basically the same as a new signing, bearing in mind that said player could have signed for another team for zip (and often have been approached by other teams, frequently in the SPL) upon the expiry of their contract.

The player might be the same as last season, but in terms of creating a squad that Alan Stubbs believes can win this god-forsaken Championship next season, it's a great situation to be in when a contract renewal will be greeted (I would hope pretty much unanimously) with as much excitement as a new signing.

Do others feel the same? We're not talking about Zibi getting a 2 year contract extension (:grr::grr:) but quality players re-signing for the push back to the SPL.

Steve20
05-06-2015, 08:53 AM
It's definitely a much better feeling this summer than the last few, when we've needed to clear out plenty of rubbish. However, I don't count when we re-sign someone as a new signing as we've got to be looking to have a better team than we did last season. I just count it as holding on to a good player. Keeping the likes of Fyvie and Fontaine (if he does stay) is great for the team, but bringing in new signings is a must and is a bit more exciting to see where it will take us.

lyonhibs
05-06-2015, 09:11 AM
It's definitely a much better feeling this summer than the last few, when we've needed to clear out plenty of rubbish. However, I don't count when we re-sign someone as a new signing as we've got to be looking to have a better team than we did last season. I just count it as holding on to a good player. Keeping the likes of Fyvie and Fontaine (if he does stay) is great for the team, but bringing in new signings is a must and is a bit more exciting to see where it will take us.

Agree entirely.

My point is that the composition of a - hopefully - better team for next season will be - I think and hope - mostly quality players from last season (and there are more of them this summer than the past few!) plus a few new signings (in Stubbs we trust on that front), as opposed to more or less having to try and tear it up and start again with more new signings than decent proven players from the previous season.

If we were to "lose" Allan, McGeouch, Fontaine and Boyle (for example), would they be replaced by similar quality? I have my doubts, especially for the first 3, so I'll be as excited by their renewal (if/when it comes) as I would be by a new signing.

Andy74
05-06-2015, 09:19 AM

Agree with all that. We've a bit to go just to match last year's squad just now.

Mikey09
05-06-2015, 09:23 AM
It just goes to show how far we have come re having the proper management team in place. If supporters are happy to get players re-signed then Stubbs has got it bang on identifying the quality they bring to the squad in the first place. Stubbs is the one I personally want on a long term contract, and I mean even above the likes of Scotty Allan. I think there is a feeling amongst the support we FINALLY have a manager who won't settle for last min, second rate signings and for that alone will see us move in the right direction on the park.

Franck Stanton
05-06-2015, 08:30 PM
Obviously depends on the player "Re-signed" as to whether I get excited or not. In the case of Fyvie, then yes, good signing, good player and as we only had him on a short term loan last season he is, imo, like a new signing. Fontaine would come into this category as well. Ideally an extention to Allen's contract would be ideal, [not that I think he would be around any longer than the season but, at least when he leaves this time next year we will get a healthy wedge.] Liking the two we have signed so far as well.

Forza Fred
05-06-2015, 08:46 PM
Very positive, that we have not, as we did in years past, wait until near the end of the transfer window hoping to shop in the bargain basement, where we ended up with the likes of Matt Done.

Critical factors I see now as a reliable goalkeeper and ensuring Scott Allan stays.

But generally, a lot more positive than this time last year, probably by a million miles, and actually looking forward to the season ahead.

Sas_The_Hibby
07-06-2015, 08:39 PM
What do people "feel"/think when we re-sign a player?

I either think:

That's terrible news; we should never have re-signed them - and I'm proved right or
That's great news we've re-signed them - and I'm proved wrong

:greengrin:wink: