PDA

View Full Version : Holding midfielder

Unseen work
05-06-2015, 05:27 AM
Could the player to fill this role next season be Danny Handling?

He has played there the majority of the season for under 21s and for scotland and has got rave reviews. Stubbs is a big fan and gave him a big contract.

He hasnt featured in a while, could this be as he is training more intensly for this role and will be bulking up and improving his defensive side over pre season.

PS im not meaning he never got a game near the end of the season because stubbs was saving him for next season, more stubbs never wanted to put him on in an advanced area of the pitch as now he see's him as a holding midfelder

Forza Fred
05-06-2015, 05:55 AM

He has played there the majority of the season for under 21s and for scotland and has got rave reviews. Stubbs is a big fan and gave him a big contract.

He hasnt featured in a while, could this be as he is training more intensly for this role and will be bulking up and improving his defensive side over pre season.

PS im not meaning he never got a game near the end of the season because stubbs was saving him for next season, more stubbs never wanted to put him on in an advanced area of the pitch as now he see's him as a holding midfelder

Let's hope so.

This is the season when he really should be seeking to make an impact.

bingo70
05-06-2015, 06:07 AM
Let's hope so.

This is the season when he really should be seeking to make an impact.

That was last season imo.

If we're playing with a holding midfielder I hope we sign someone that plays that position rather than trying to shoehorn a player in that hasn't shown enough when playing their normal position. That's not to say handling couldn't force his way in if he does well but I certainly wouldn't want to start the season relying on him.

hfc-1875
05-06-2015, 06:17 AM
For me he's not big enough for holding midfield, id rather a big dirty p***k that likes a tackle in there.

Fergos
05-06-2015, 06:26 AM
For me he's not big enough for holding midfield, id rather a big dirty p***k that likes a tackle in there.

Agreed, we've needed one of them for a while now...one thing slightly lacking in Stubbys first season was this type of player who could shake his fist, rally his team mates and turn the tide where needed.
A Yogi type, big character who as you say loves a tackle.

Not Danny H.....!

GGTTH

Unseen work
05-06-2015, 06:27 AM
I personally would love to see Jordan Forster play there

Aldo
05-06-2015, 06:29 AM
I personally would love to see Jordan Forster play there

There's a thought??

stoneyburn hibs
05-06-2015, 06:31 AM
Paul Hanlon could easily fill that role.

Unseen work
05-06-2015, 06:55 AM
There's a thought??

I definitely think he could do a job there, comfortable with the ball, great altheticism, stength and pace. Loves the physical and defensive side

Aldo
05-06-2015, 06:57 AM
I definitely think he could do a job there, comfortable with the ball, great altheticism, stength and pace. Loves the physical and defensive side

He does but wonder if Stubbs sees him in this role??

Have a hunch Stubbs might bring one in?

Give him a phone and let him know. I might tweet Jordan and get him to drop the hint in training!

oldbutdim
05-06-2015, 07:00 AM
I don't think it was Stubbs who gave Danny a four year deal, nor do I expect Danny to be at Hibs next season.

GreenArmyyy!
05-06-2015, 07:32 AM

I'm sure it was Butcher who gave him that correct. Don't rate him. Would let him move on IMO.

TowerHibs
05-06-2015, 07:38 AM
I'm sure it was Butcher who gave him that correct. Don't rate him. Would let him move on IMO.

Stubbs was the manager. It may have been on the table before stubbs came here but it was signed with Stubbs as manager.

I remember feeling a bit concerned that this was as high as we are aiming. Don't see 4 year deals dished out much nowadays

allezsauzee
05-06-2015, 07:44 AM
Or Scott Robertson?

Borderhibbie76
05-06-2015, 07:46 AM
Or Scott Robertson?

unfortunately away to St Johnstone if rumours are correct mate

macd123
05-06-2015, 08:03 AM
unfortunately away to St Johnstone if rumours are correct mate

I liked his attitude but like craig it's probably time for him to go.

Brightside
05-06-2015, 08:34 AM
That was last season imo.

If we're playing with a holding midfielder I hope we sign someone that plays that position rather than trying to shoehorn a player in that hasn't shown enough when playing their normal position. That's not to say handling couldn't force his way in if he does well but I certainly wouldn't want to start the season relying on him.

Danny Handling plays that position for the dev team. Its the position that Stubbs wants him to play in. He does need to strengthing up to make the position his own.

Brightside
05-06-2015, 08:36 AM
I don't think it was Stubbs who gave Danny a four year deal, nor do I expect Danny to be at Hibs next season.

You're wrong on the 2nd part.

Salt N Sauzee
05-06-2015, 08:39 AM
Danny Handling a Holding Midfielder? Is this a wind up?

More chance of us signing John Obi Mikel and playing him in there!

Iain G
05-06-2015, 08:50 AM

I'd like someone who can receive the ball and keep possession and start off moves from deep, Handling I think has those skills.

jacomo
05-06-2015, 09:28 AM
Danny Handling a Holding Midfielder? Is this a wind up?

More chance of us signing John Obi Mikel and playing him in there!

You've not really read previous posts, have you?

Outside of Hibs first team, that is where DH has been playing. He may or may not be able to bring that to the first team, but it's hardly outlandish.

Brightside
05-06-2015, 09:30 AM
I'd like someone who can receive the ball and keep possession and start off moves from deep, Handling I think has those skills.

Nah we need a huge lump of player like that guy from spain....whats his name again.. Xavi... :wink:

JimBHibees
05-06-2015, 09:36 AM
Nah we need a huge lump of player like that guy from spain....whats his name again.. Xavi... :wink:

He does has Busquets to do the dirty work also though. :greengrin

J-C
05-06-2015, 09:46 AM
The way we play it isn't really a proper defensive midfield role, it's more of a deep lying playmaker. Danny has a very good footballing brain which is something you need to play this role, I can't remember Claros ever being a big lump who tackled like a demon, my memory of him was of an intelligent player who read the game well and timed his tackles to win the ball. Robertson did ok last season but was still a headless chicken at times and got himself out of position too often.

Salt N Sauzee
05-06-2015, 09:47 AM
You've not really read previous posts, have you?

Outside of Hibs first team, that is where DH has been playing. He may or may not be able to bring that to the first team, but it's hardly outlandish.

I have indeed read them :aok:

I don't really think he's cut out to be a holidng/defensive midfielder from what I've seen of him over the past 2 seasons and I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks so. You need a big tackler in there.

Don't get me wrong I think he's a good player but think he offers so much more in an attacking role.

Alex Trager
05-06-2015, 09:56 AM
The way we play it isn't really a proper defensive midfield role, it's more of a deep lying playmaker. Danny has a very good footballing brain which is something you need to play this role, I can't remember Claros ever being a big lump who tackled like a demon, my memory of him was of an intelligent player who read the game well and timed his tackles to win the ball. Robertson did ok last season but was still a headless chicken at times and got himself out of position too often.

The way you describe the HM is exactly what Danny handling is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B.H.F.C
05-06-2015, 10:00 AM
Danny Handling plays that position for the dev team. Its the position that Stubbs wants him to play in. He does need to strengthing up to make the position his own.

Stubbs has never once played him there though.

Brightside
05-06-2015, 10:01 AM
I have indeed read them :aok:

I don't really think he's cut out to be a holidng/defensive midfielder from what I've seen of him over the past 2 seasons and I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks so. We need a big tackler in there.

Don't get me wrong I think he's a good player but think he offers so much more in an attacking role.

You dont need a buig tackler in there if you dont give up the ball. I expect Hibs to retain the ball for the majority of our games this season. The role we are talking about is the pivot player. Danny is good in there imho.

Iceman1875
05-06-2015, 10:02 AM
The issue was DH is for me that no one, including AS knows his best position. Personally I don't see him as a holding midfielder. I wouldn't be too fussed of he left this summer Albeit on loan for a season. If we sign Dylan permantley id like to see him grow into the holding midfielder role...

At Easter Road we play...

Ozyhibby
05-06-2015, 10:07 AM
He needs up his game massively to make the first team at Hibs. Strolling through u20 games is a million miles from first team football. Handling needs to toughen up big time and find a level of desire and aggression he has not previously shown. If he can do that he has a chance, if not he won't make it.

Blaster
05-06-2015, 10:10 AM
He needs up his game massively to make the first team at Hibs. Strolling through u20 games is a million miles from first team football. Handling needs to toughen up big time and find a level of desire and aggression he has not previously shown. If he can do that he has a chance, if not he won't make it.

I agree. I think he has the potential. I am not sure he has the desire

scoopyboy
05-06-2015, 10:13 AM
Paul Hanlon could easily fill that role.

This has been mooted by Hibs.

Aldo
05-06-2015, 11:32 AM

Has it. Think it would work as he is a very good passer if the ball.

Geo_1875
05-06-2015, 11:57 AM

He is, for a centre half with time on the ball. Don't know if he'd hack it in midfield.

J-C
05-06-2015, 11:59 AM

Did Hanlon not start off as a midfielder before being turned into a CH ?

Aldo
05-06-2015, 11:59 AM
He is, for a centre half with time on the ball. Don't know if he'd hack it in midfield.

Only one way to find out??

Geo_1875
05-06-2015, 12:01 PM
Only one way to find out??

Against Berwick next week?

TheFamous1875
05-06-2015, 12:03 PM

Is it currently or recently being mooted by Hibs, or are you referring to him being a midfielder in his youth?

Aldo
05-06-2015, 12:04 PM

Worth a try. But it depends on what Stubbs wants to do.

Smartie
05-06-2015, 12:05 PM

Agree 100% and I've thought for a while that he could be excellent in this role.

His distribution is really good (which can be a problem for a CH playing in that role), he's strong in the tackle, he can get up and down. He's looked quite good coming out with the ball from the back too so if he needed to move with the ball then he could. His anticipation is brilliant at times and I think he's definitely clever enough to do it.

His faults as a centre-half wouldn't be exposed as much in midfield - i.e. he sometimes gets outmuscled when up against a really tough CF and he sometimes gets caught under the ball a bit (wouldn't be a problem with the centre-halves behind him).

I know it's just the same as having 2 right-sided centre-backs (which never seems to be a problem) but if Fontaine signs up then I always think the Stevenson/Fontaine/Hanlon left-footed combo looks a bit weird and imbalanced. Most people would agree that we do still seem to give away too many silly goals at the back but that we all like Stevenson, Fontaine, Hanlon, Forster and Gray. Maybe having Hanlon in front of Fontaine and Forster would allow us to play them all but not have to have 3/5 at the back?

Plus, did he not play there mainly when he was younger?

Aldo
05-06-2015, 12:07 PM
Agree 100% and I've thought for a while that he could be excellent in this role. His distribution is really good (which can be a problem for a CH playing in that role), he's strong in the tackle, he can get up and down. He's looked quite good coming out with the ball from the back too so if he needed to move with the ball then he could. His anticipation is brilliant at times and I think he's definitely clever enough to do it. His faults as a centre-half wouldn't be exposed as much in midfield - i.e. he sometimes gets outmuscled when up against a really tough CF and he sometimes gets caught under the ball a bit (wouldn't be a problem with the centre-halves behind him). I know it's just the same as having 2 right-sided centre-backs (which never seems to be a problem) but if Fontaine signs up then I always think the Stevenson/Fontaine/Hanlon left-footed combo looks a bit weird and imbalanced. Most people would agree that we do still seem to give away too many silly goals at the back but that we all like Stevenson, Fontaine, Hanlon, Forster and Gray. Maybe having Hanlon in front of Fontaine and Forster would allow us to play them all but not have to have 3/5 at the back? Plus, did he not play there mainly when he was younger?

He started and nearly got in the end of a cross against Der Hun. One as a result of a superb tackle, then a superb pass out wide and then continued his run into the box.

I would say give it a go with Jordan slotting into right CB.

J-C
05-06-2015, 12:10 PM
He started and nearly got in the end of a cross against Der Hun. One as a result of a superb tackle, then a superb pass out wide and then continued his run into the box.

I would say give it a go with Jordan slotting into right CB.

Having Forster there also balances out the team, I'd have no qualms about putting Hanlon there, worth a shot.

Aldo
05-06-2015, 12:11 PM
Having Forster there also balances out the team, I'd have no qualms about putting Hanlon there, worth a shot.

Agreed. Paul's strength height and passing ability would work IMHO. He's also very mobile.

hfc rd
05-06-2015, 12:15 PM

Are we playing Berwick next week? Can't seem to find anything that says we are and if so, it's some early start for pre-season!

J-C
05-06-2015, 12:19 PM
Agreed. Paul's strength height and passing ability would work IMHO. He's also very mobile.

Our problem last season was when the 2 winbacks bombed forward we didn't have a proper DM to cover, the CH should go either left or right to cover and the DM should drop back and fill the CH position, this never happened and we were always vulnerable to the ball over the top where the space was left. It was said many times that our midfield was too samey and a holding midfielder was needed, Robertson was tried but headless chicken comes to mind and he sometimes forgot to defend and when he did his challenges were mistimed and free kicks were given.

scoopyboy
05-06-2015, 12:19 PM
Did Hanlon not start off as a midfielder before being turned into a CH ?

He was a free scoring midfielder (and captain) with an excellent Hutchi Vale team that won the Scottish Cup and very much everything else.

Turned into a defender straight away with Hibs, first as a left back then as centre back.

A current member of the Hibs coaching staff thinks he might be worth a shot there.

J-C
05-06-2015, 12:20 PM
Are we playing Berwick next week? Can't seem to find anything that says we are and if so, it's some early start for pre-season!

14th July, another month yet.

J-C
05-06-2015, 12:21 PM
He was a free scoring midfielder (and captain) with an excellent Hutchi Vale team that won the Scottish Cup and very much everything else.

Turned into a defender straight away with Hibs, first as a left back then as centre back.

A current member of the Hibs coaching staff thinks he might be worth a shot there.

He has all the attributes for it and would save us looking for that position, Paul could easily cover CH if needed.

Geo_1875
05-06-2015, 12:22 PM

Sorry, meant next month.

Aldo
05-06-2015, 12:22 PM
He was a free scoring midfielder (and captain) with an excellent Hutchi Vale team that won the Scottish Cup and very much everything else. Turned into a defender straight away with Hibs, first as a left back then as centre back. A current member of the Hibs coaching staff thinks he might be worth a shot there.

I defo think its worth a try. He's got great vision for a CH and I think it's s gamble worth taking.

In fact I don't think it would be that much of a gamble tbh.

Scoops are you able to say who it is that thinks this??

J-C
05-06-2015, 12:26 PM

Who was his manager then, Mowbray?

Brightside
05-06-2015, 12:36 PM
Who was his manager then, Mowbray?

I thought it was blobby that made him a defender?

The_Horde
05-06-2015, 12:38 PM

The same member of staff who recommended he take that free kick vs falkirk at the end of the season?

Brightside
05-06-2015, 12:41 PM
I thought it was blobby that made him a defender?

PAUL HANLON has been a rock at the heart of the Scotland Under-21's defence during their Euro 2011 qualifying campaign - despite making his name at youth level as a free-scoring midfielder.

Like so many Edinburgh teenagers Hanlon played for Hutchison Vale - a boys club renowned for unearthing future stars.

The 19-year-old was Hutchy's main attacking threat along with Danny Galbraith - and both went on to end up at high-flying Hibs.

It was only when Hibees youth guru Alastair Stevenson suggested he move back in to defence that Hanlon really started to flourish and force his way into the first team.

Now he's a first-pick for Billy Stark's side at centre-back and also pushing for a place at left-back in John Hughes' Easter Road team.

Hanlon said: "I'm asked now whether I'm a left-back or a centrehalf but at Hutchy I was actually an attacking midfielder.

"It was only when I came to Hibs that I became a defender. I'd never thought of playing at the back.

"At Hutchy we were always attacking so I seldom thought of the defensive side. Danny and I must have scored all the goals for Hutchy.

"I had to learn the art of defending. I did all right in my first few games and thankfully I'm still hanging on."

Hanlon, who had a spell on loan at St Johnstone last season, has the perfect role model at Hibs in Ian Murray who is also equally comfortable at the back or in midfield.

Now he's hoping to emulate him by cementing a place in their first team and justify his decision to sign for Hibs instead of moving to Ipswich or another interested English club.

Paul said: "Hibs is where I want to be and I'm doing my best to get into the team. Ian's a role model - he can play several positions and was in the Champions League with Rangers.

"I support Hibs but that's not why I picked them. Look at guys they've brought through like Scott Brown and Kevin Thomson who have done so well. As a young boy at Hibs you can see the world is full of chances."

allezsauzee
05-06-2015, 12:44 PM
I don't think winning enough possession was our problem last season, it was converting it into goals. I would have been happy with Craig and Robertson staying for this season as they are easily good enough for the job in the championship. However if Stubbsie is looking further into the future and replacing them with better players then I'm all for it. I don't think this involves replacing them with players already at the club though. I don't think he's the sort of manager who will try to shoehorn a centre half into midfield after letting players go that were fit for purpose. Handling is a good player at under 20 level but hasn't really shown enough in the first team. I'd be putting him on loan next season.

Andy74
05-06-2015, 01:01 PM
I'd rather we signed a player for the position or kept Robertson rather than trying to fit in defenders or other players there.

scoopyboy
05-06-2015, 01:10 PM
I'd rather we signed a player for the position or kept Robertson rather than trying to fit in defenders or other players there.

I wouldn't argue with that to be honest Andy but it could be reasoned that Matty Jack and Gary Caldwell played their best stuff for the club after switching to that role from centre back.

And you know as well as me there are plenty on here looking for the new Matty Jack. :wink:

Aldo
05-06-2015, 01:17 PM

I tend to agree Andy however trying him there may allow a wage in another position??

Smartie
05-06-2015, 01:41 PM
I wouldn't argue with that to be honest Andy but it could be reasoned that Matty Jack and Gary Caldwell played their best stuff for the club after switching to that role from centre back.

And you know as well as me there are plenty on here looking for the new Matty Jack. :wink:

Jack, Caldwell and Bamba have probably been the best three players we've ever had to play that particular role (Rocastle was decent in his short spell with us too).

They were all primarily central defenders.

"Shoehorning" a player in would suggest that they lacked the attributes required to play the position, or maybe had a glaring deficiency in a particular attribute that made them unsuitable for the role.

That is simply not the case with Hanlon who would - on the face of it - seems perfectly suited to it and has even played there a lot when he was younger. Other suggestions on this thread would be less suited, Handling because he's probably too lightweight for it (even though he gets away with this for the U21s) and I'd imagine Forster would lack the general mobility and footballing ability for it.

Lots of players have started in one position then gone on to flourish in another because somebody spotted that their attributes were better suited to another role, Thierry Henry being the most obvious one.

Man Utd would probably play 11 Wayne Rooneys if they could because he's better in most positions than a lot of their so-called specialists are. He's a good all-round player, as is Paul Hanlon.

The_Exile
05-06-2015, 01:45 PM
So......what's Jorge Claros upto these days :cb

allezsauzee
05-06-2015, 02:26 PM
Jorge Claros feeding the ball to Scotty Allan :thumbsup:

blackpoolhibs
05-06-2015, 03:15 PM
I'd like to see Hanlon moved away from the defence into midfield, mainly because i'd prefer a better centre half to play alongside Fontaine should he sign again.

And if as others have said he's a decent midfielder, then why not give it a try, what do we have to lose?

Stokesy's on fire
05-06-2015, 03:27 PM

He's cert one for the future but that role won't suit him just now as he's built like a racing pigeon

Stokesy's on fire
05-06-2015, 03:27 PM
Jorge Claros feeding the ball to Scotty Allan :thumbsup:

This!

Unseen work
05-06-2015, 08:53 PM
personally cant imagine hanlon playing defensive midfield, he is good on the ball as a centre back but not sure if he could make the step up to midfield, personally cant see him being sharp enough or having quick enough feet to play the role. Would love to be wrong. I know people say he used to play there but that was when he was a young teenager, he is now 25! So it wont be familiar to him anymore

I think the main difference between him and forster playing the role as i see jordan as alot faster, stronger and a better leap making him a much tougher battle for the opposition to run past. I also think he is sharper on the ball.

End of the day though, we will probably just sign a natural defensive mid who will play there :greengrin

stevie-bee
05-06-2015, 10:26 PM
People always say Hanlon not good at this not good at at that , I've heard hibs fans say that hanlon will never make a footballer,
Every manager for the last 5 years has played him ,
He is a very good centre half , would probably get a game in most spfl teams

Scouse Hibee
06-06-2015, 08:49 AM
People always say Hanlon not good at this not good at at that , I've heard hibs fans say that hanlon will never make a footballer,
Every manager for the last 5 years has played him ,
He is a very good centre half , would probably get a game in most spfl teams

Agree he is a very good footballer that could probably play a good role in midfield if asked. Grossly under rated by many who haven't got a clue.

JimBHibees
06-06-2015, 09:35 AM

Agree totally. Would prefer Paul to improve some aspects of his game such as attacking the ball in the air and being stronger.

carnoustiehibee
06-06-2015, 09:44 AM
Agree he is a very good footballer that could probably play a good role in midfield if asked. Grossly under rated by many who haven't got a clue.

I assume he'll be attracting a lot of transfer bids this summer and well be lucky to keep him next season. At 25 you'd think he'd be playing at a higher level than the 1st division

superfurryhibby
06-06-2015, 12:13 PM

Agree that Hanlon is a decent footballer, However, years of watching him being beasted by the likes of Boyd, Higdon and the like tells me that the "many" aren't that wrong in their estimation. If Hanlon was that good he'd be gone?

I'm sure Stubbs will have considered the holding midfield role and Hanlon might be worth a try . At championship level at least he would probably cope with it ok.

blackpoolhibs
06-06-2015, 12:33 PM
Agree that Hanlon is a decent footballer, However, years of watching him being beasted by the likes of Boyd, Higdon and the like tells me that the "many" aren't that wrong in their estimation. If Hanlon was that good he'd be gone?

I'm sure Stubbs will have considered the holding midfield role and Hanlon might be worth a try . At championship level at least he would probably cope with it ok.

Exactly. :agree:

If Hanlon was a stand out he'd have been snapped up like EVERY other player that's outgrown the club. As it is he's a competent player who's found his level and does reasonably well in it.

Would i like better, too right i would but that applies to virtually half the team maybe even more?

J-C
06-06-2015, 12:43 PM
Exactly. :agree:

If Hanlon was a stand out he'd have been snapped up like EVERY other player that's outgrown the club. As it is he's a competent player who's found his level and does reasonably well in it.

Would i like better, too right i would but that applies to virtually half the team maybe even more?

Maybe then it is worth a try to play him at DM allowing Forster to play which would balance the team better.

AlbertK86
06-06-2015, 02:05 PM

And grossly over-rated by some who think they've got a clue

Scouse Hibee
06-06-2015, 02:16 PM

Including highly paid football managers eh!

Scouse Hibee
06-06-2015, 02:16 PM
I assume he'll be attracting a lot of transfer bids this summer and well be lucky to keep him next season. At 25 you'd think he'd be playing at a higher level than the 1st division

Apologies

Scouse Hibee
06-06-2015, 02:19 PM

Hanlon is that good that he has played many games for different managers. He's at his level at Hibs.

Iggy Pope
06-06-2015, 02:20 PM

Hundreds of appearances for the club he loves, some of them as captain.
Under various managers.
Capped umpteen times at international level.
Under various managers.

Seems he is rated pretty well by some who do have a clue.

Brightside
06-06-2015, 02:22 PM

Beasted by Boyd and Higdon?? Hanlons only issue over the last few years has been covering for piss poor defensive partners. We've seen the best from home when he's not covering for others lack of a ability. Stubbs is a huge fan.

Iggy Pope
06-06-2015, 02:22 PM
Hanlon is that good that he has played many games for different managers. He's at his level at Hibs.

Pretty good level too Scouse. Certainly a higher level than any on this forum has played at........

shetlandhibee
06-06-2015, 02:24 PM
Hundreds of appearances for the club he loves, some of them as captain.
Under various managers.
Capped umpteen times at international level.
Under various managers.

Seems he is rated pretty well by some who do have a clue.:top marks

Scouse Hibee
06-06-2015, 02:24 PM
Pretty good level too Scouse. Certainly a higher level than any on this forum has played at........

Yeah probably league winners with football manager on a PC :-)

B.H.F.C
06-06-2015, 02:54 PM

Many games for many managers that have been bloody hopeless.

Our defensive frailties haven't been sorted for years. We were better this year, Hanlon included, but opposition teams barely crossed the half way line in some games.

3pm
06-06-2015, 02:54 PM

Some of us have won the Champions League as well. :o)

carnoustiehibee
06-06-2015, 05:51 PM
Don't assume it makes you look

So is this kind of personal abuse accepted on here yeh? My point still stands ( if not put over the best) why has he not attracted attention from other clubs?

superfurryhibby
06-06-2015, 07:54 PM

Are you the only person worthy of having an opinion? May I ask what makes you any more qualified to offer a view?

greenlex
06-06-2015, 08:57 PM
What will they be holding?

Unseen work
06-06-2015, 09:36 PM
i dont see the harsh critism hanlon gets, but i also dont get the over the top praise.

Imo he is a solid defender for hibs at this stage of his career, he is a consistent performer. I think people undervalue him as he has been here for so long, similar to stevenson. I personally think if we signed these 2 in the summer and this was there first full season i think people would be raving, and rightly so.

I think we will have paul for the forseeable future as he is settled, unless a english club takes a punt on him.

Scouse Hibee
06-06-2015, 10:35 PM
Are you the only person worthy of having an opinion? May I ask what makes you any more qualified to offer a view?

1.No

2. No.

Scouse Hibee
06-06-2015, 10:36 PM
So is this kind of personal abuse accepted on here yeh? My point still stands ( if not put over the best) why has he not attracted attention from other clubs?

Personal abuse?

carnoustiehibee
07-06-2015, 12:36 AM
Personal abuse?

You called me an ass, nothing personal but abit petty no? Still not answered the question

BSEJVT
07-06-2015, 10:46 AM
Its a bloody good job Hibs have a youth policy.

If we didn't we would probably need to resort to abusing / criticising guys we have signed from other clubs

Its far better to have your own home grown boys to be able to abuse / criticise, those that have been with the club for years, probably have some affinity for it and for whom the abuse/ criticism will mean more.

The fact that they are younger and still trying to make their way in the game / find their confidence / live locally makes the criticism/ abuse that much more effective. Its certainly helped Alex Harris develop / recover from injury.

Criticising/ abusing them is a far more effective way of supporting your team.

Way to go.

bingo70
07-06-2015, 10:53 AM

If we didn't we would probably need to resort to abusing / criticising guys we have signed from other clubs

Its far better to have your own home grown boys to be able to abuse / criticise, those that have been with the club for years, probably have some affinity for it and for whom the abuse/ criticism will mean more.

The fact that they are younger and still trying to make their way in the game / find their confidence / live locally makes the criticism/ abuse that much more effective. Its certainly helped Alex Harris develop / recover from injury.

Way to go.

What a lot of nonsense.

If you're wanting to make it as a footballer then you need to accept that people will be judging you and forming opinions.

If any of these guys have got ideas of being immune to criticism then they're in the wrong job.

silverhibee
07-06-2015, 11:21 AM

Weren't Fulham showing interest in him a couple of seasons ago.

Scouse Hibee
07-06-2015, 11:22 AM
You called me an ass, nothing personal but abit petty no? Still not answered the question

Okay I apologise if you think I abused you, it was not my intention just banter about assume but maybe not easy to relay that on here. In answer to your question, in my opinion he is a very decent player for Hibs and deserves credit, I don't know how many enquiries there have been for him or whether he is interested in moving but lack of activity from other clubs still wont change my opinion of a very decent player for hibs.

superfurryhibby
07-06-2015, 01:28 PM

Way to go.

Too excitable. Not seeing any abusive or super negativity on this thread, so maybe calm yourself a little.

Hanlon us an experienced player, entering what will most likely be the best years of his career. Despite my reservations around aspects of his game, there is no denying that he is a decent footballer.

Greenblood70
07-06-2015, 03:05 PM
Some interesting posts on this thread - personally thought something we could improve on from last season was our shape when we didn't have the ball. A disciplined, vocal defensive midfielder would help with this no end, not sure it would be the role for Hanlon tho, Id prefer him to remain at the back and (if Fontaine stays) improve on their partnership from last season which, although caught out at times, looked by far the most solid central pair we've had in a while (imo of course!)

J-C
07-06-2015, 03:20 PM
Some interesting posts on this thread - personally thought something we could improve on from last season was our shape when we didn't have the ball. A disciplined, vocal defensive midfielder would help with this no end, not sure it would be the role for Hanlon tho, Id prefer him to remain at the back and (if Fontaine stays) improve on their partnership from last season which, although caught out at times, looked by far the most solid central pair we've had in a while (imo of course!)

I'm still not happy seeing two lefties playing in central defence, makes for an imbalance, Forster if he can stay injury free should be gatting the chance to prove he's the man for the right side of that pairing, hence why playing Hanlon as a DM would give us balance and unlike a back 3 Hanlon would be given freedom to be more expressive.

bingo70
07-06-2015, 04:02 PM
I'm still not happy seeing two lefties playing in central defence, makes for an imbalance, Forster if he can stay injury free should be gatting the chance to prove he's the man for the right side of that pairing, hence why playing Hanlon as a DM would give us balance and unlike a back 3 Hanlon would be given freedom to be more expressive.

Totally agree regarding the two lefties.

I like Hanlon but I think Fontaine is the better player so I'd rather we kept him at the back. I'd prefer not to shoe horn a player into midfield that's not used to playing that position, whether it's hanlon or handling.

Viva_Palmeiras
09-11-2015, 09:13 PM
What a lot of nonsense.

If you're wanting to make it as a footballer then you need to accept that people will be judging you and forming opinions.

If any of these guys have got ideas of being immune to criticism then they're in the wrong job.

Is this not what's wrong with scottish football? If you repeat the same thing expecting a different result your mad. I hope any future scottish nation in whatever form it may take looks forward and keeps an open mind in trying "new" approaches. Otherwise I fear narrow mindedness will leave us but an irrelevance on the global stage.

NorthNorfolkHFC
09-11-2015, 09:43 PM
Totally agree regarding the two lefties.

I like Hanlon but I think Fontaine is the better player so I'd rather we kept him at the back. I'd prefer not to shoe horn a player into midfield that's not used to playing that position, whether it's hanlon or handling.

What's wrong with letting Bartley or Fyvie do that? They've been great and Paul Hanlon should be one of the first picks every week, he's had an outstanding season and at the moment Fontaine is third pick.

"A friend of mine once said he liked his women like his parmesan: strong smelling and shaved"

J-C
09-11-2015, 09:53 PM
What's wrong with letting Bartley or Fyvie do that? They've been great and Paul Hanlon should be one of the first picks every week, he's had an outstanding season and at the moment Fontaine is third pick.

"A friend of mine once said he liked his women like his parmesan: strong smelling and shaved"

You're replying to a post dated 7/6/15, Bartley didn't sign until 17/7/17 over a month after this post ??