PDA

View Full Version : Club Payments

LichtieHibby
03-06-2015, 08:17 AM
If you're not already aware:
http://sport.stv.tv/football/clubs/rangers/303827-a-guide-to-how-much-spfl-clubs-are-paid-and-when-prize-money-is-received/

NAE NOOKIE
03-06-2015, 09:50 AM
The money distribution would be OK in a league where you had a different winner from time to time. Unfortunately all this system does is guarantee the already richest club by a country mile £2,400,000 every season.

Spreading the money evenly would not change who wins the league every year .... it would give the struggling clubs a bit more financial certainty.

Sean1875
03-06-2015, 11:48 AM
so am I right in saying that if you're bottom of the SPL in august you get £600,000 straight away.. but the total payment a club can get for winning the entire championship is 405,000? seems madness.

Smartie
03-06-2015, 11:59 AM
so am I right in saying that if you're bottom of the SPL in august you get £600,000 straight away.. but the total payment a club can get for winning the entire championship is 405,000? seems madness.

I'm pretty sure it has only fairly recently been changed to improve it to this level too.

The "SPL" was a hideous idea designed to keep as much of the wealth at the top of the game as possible. This happened, to the massive detriment of practically everyone. We can't hide from the fact that our chairman at the time, Lex Gold, was instrumental in setting it up. Bill Leckie wrote a brilliant book at the time, confidently predicting the problems that lay ahead (I read it a year or two back).

Trickle-down economics doesn't work.

If we get back up to the SPFL after next season then we'd do well to remember what it was like being down there and help fight for those clubs who may be reasonably-sized clubs that aren't in the top league (and there are always likely to be a couple).

allezsauzee
03-06-2015, 12:18 PM

I think you may have been mesmerized by the hullabaloo around the big team winning the championship. They in fact were not the best team in Scotland and finished 13th in Scotland overall because they weren't good enough (like ourselves) to compete in the top 12. If we are to have a system that gives prize money based on league position then I think its right that the 12th team gets more than the 13th.

Sean1875
03-06-2015, 12:22 PM
I think you may have been mesmerized by the hullabaloo around the big team winning the championship. They in fact were not the best team in Scotland and finished 13th in Scotland overall because they weren't good enough (like ourselves) to compete in the top 12. If we are to have a system that gives prize money based on league position then I think its right that the 12th team gets more than the 13th.

I understand that, was more the point that after only one month of the season, you'll still have had a league payout of an extra £200,000 than the total the team that wins the championship gets over the whole course of the season.

KeithTheHibby
03-06-2015, 12:29 PM
So the sheep got roughly 1.8m for finishing second? Decent wedge actually.