PDA

View Full Version : Liam craig on sportssound

CABBAGEMAD
03-06-2015, 06:36 AM
HAD NOTHING BUT GOOD THINGS TO SAY ABOUT THE CLUB . CONSIDERING STICK HE TOOK THOUGT HE CCAME ACROSS VERY WELL A TRUE PRO. SYRE HE WILL GO ON TO DO WLL FOR SOME OTHER CLUB:thumbsup:

Viva_Palmeiras
03-06-2015, 06:47 AM
I'm sure he's a decent person. Being captain during that awful period of turmoil would test most to the limit. He'll have learned from that and will make home stronger. There is a player in there just took a monumental knock when he was at Hibs for whatever reason.

Good luck to him he'll be in the top flight next season...

I think Hibs in the past has been guilty of chiding captains for the wrong reasons (to keep hold of high earners and overcome wage cap structure?). Hopefully that's a thing of the past and captains are chosen for the qualities they bring that suits the captains role. And that these players are of a character to treat the club with respect as a given (take note KT).

When appointing a captain why not call out the attributes they bring?

Aldo
03-06-2015, 06:47 AM
HAD NOTHING BUT GOOD THINGS TO SAY ABOUT THE CLUB . CONSIDERING STICK HE TOOK THOUGT HE CCAME ACROSS VERY WELL A TRUE PRO. SYRE HE WILL GO ON TO DO WLL FOR SOME OTHER CLUB:thumbsup:

Bet you it would of been different had Butcher still been in charge??

Btw what's all this shouting about at this time of morning?? Your Caps lock stuck on??

HUTCHYHIBBY
03-06-2015, 07:43 AM
CabbageNad seems an unfortunate typo!

Peevemor
03-06-2015, 07:45 AM

Is that like a cauliflower ear (but worse)?

cabbageandribs1875
03-06-2015, 07:48 AM
hopefully the op gets a new keyboard for xmas, or at least puts some WD40 on the caps button

and may his Nads grow healthy

:)

Spike Mandela
03-06-2015, 08:51 AM
Sounded good and intelligent on the radio. Media career beckoning?

Newcastlehibby
03-06-2015, 09:06 AM

:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin

PatHead
03-06-2015, 09:48 AM
Met him a few times and he was a really nice guy. Always admired how he didn't run away at the end of that terrible season and wanted to prove us wrong.

Lively amongst the players during training as well. Shame it didn't work out at Hibs as well as we all thought it would but good luck to him going forward.

GreenArmyyy!
03-06-2015, 09:58 AM
The ultimate professional. I probably would have kept Craig as a squad player. Great engine and by the looks of things a great influence around the dressing room. I just think it was a bit too much for him being captain.

Frazerbob
03-06-2015, 10:02 AM
He also seemed confident that Scott Allan would sign an extension.

Viva_Palmeiras
03-06-2015, 10:21 AM

Finally a rival for Buster. Dunno why but the word "spoing" always made me laugh in Viz.

matty_f
03-06-2015, 10:22 AM
Finally a rival for Buster. Dunno why but the word "spoing" always made me laugh in Viz.

:hilarious: Viz is brilliant, doesn't get mentioned enough IMHO!

Northern Hibby
03-06-2015, 10:28 AM

:faf:

NAE NOOKIE
03-06-2015, 10:34 AM
Had a tough few years at Hibs, but always handled himself well off the pitch. I'm pretty confident he will find himself at a premiership club or Div1 lower championship in Engerlund.

He really needs to learn to stop mouthing to refs though, picks up too many bookings with his gob rather than his challenges.

Wish him all the luck in the world :aok:

Argylehibby
03-06-2015, 11:08 AM
Had a tough few years at Hibs, but always handled himself well off the pitch. I'm pretty confident he will find himself at a premiership club or Div1 lower championship in Engerlund.

He really needs to learn to stop mouthing to refs though, picks up too many bookings with his gob rather than his challenges.

Wish him all the luck in the world :aok:

I think it's something we don't do enough of, putting the refs under a bit of pressure during a game. Perhaps the manner he did it or the words he used upset a few refs but I was happy to see our captain confront refs asking why we were getting bookings while the opposition were not etc.

Danderhall Hibs
03-06-2015, 11:28 AM
It's something that's cast up regularly - so how many bookings did he get for dissent?

I wish we had more players that tried to influence referees.

Just Alf
03-06-2015, 11:30 AM
I think it's something we don't do enough of, putting the refs under a bit of pressure during a game. Perhaps the manner he did it or the words he used upset a few refs but I was happy to see our captain confront refs asking why we were getting bookings while the opposition were not etc.

That's how I saw it too.... We need/needed to get tougher on all levels including getting refs faces a bit more to keep them on their toes as much as poss.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
03-06-2015, 11:37 AM
Liam came over very well on the radio last night.

I was glad when we signed him, but for whatever reason it didn't work out for him at Hibs. I wish him all the best in the future and hope he gets a good club.

HTD1875
03-06-2015, 03:58 PM
I Like Craig and was happy when he signed for us, started off really well for and scored a few goals. Suffered badly due to first of all Butchers obsession with hoofball and then playing for a place in midfield with Robertson, Allan, McGeough and Fyvie. Good luck to him.

Nutmegged
03-06-2015, 04:19 PM
Craig will go back to the Premiership and likely have a pretty decent Season without the weight of unrealistic expectation that was placed on him at times with Hibs, wouldn't be surprised to see him at St Johnstone, Dundee or maybe Motherwell

The_Horde
03-06-2015, 04:57 PM
I'd sign him. Good box to box midfielder who scores goals. Has a wicked set piece on him as well.

emerald green
03-06-2015, 06:03 PM
I could never understand some of the OTT criticism Liam Craig received from some posters on this forum. Some of it was bordering on the absurd, and it was like it was a personal dislike.

As others have said, it's about time a Hibs captain stood up for the team on the pitch and questioned some very poor refereeing decisions. Other teams do it, why should Hibs not stand up for themselves too? Or should we just roll over and say nothing?

As an example, look no further than Chelsea FC mobbing referees. It doesn't seem to have done them much harm.

Sir David Gray
03-06-2015, 06:38 PM
I didn't hear the interview but I'm glad to see that things have ended amicably.

I hope he gets himself a decent move and I wish him all the best for the future, except if he comes up against us at any point!

tamig
03-06-2015, 07:08 PM

Spot on. Every team that's every had an extended run of success has had more than a few moaners - maybe making the ref think twice when it comes to the next 50/50 decision. McLeish/Miller, Hegarty, Aitken and the like were all masters and all had a bucket full of medals.

Jones28
03-06-2015, 07:21 PM
Dissapointed to see him go, had so much expectation put on him when he first arrived.

marleyhib
03-06-2015, 10:03 PM
I must admit I have slagged Liam off at times, mainly for too many sideways passes. But to be honest he's played with a Tom kite midfield for most of his spell at Hibs. Thought he came onto a game at the end of last season, sad to see him go and wish him all the best.

TRC
04-06-2015, 01:31 AM
I think the problem with Craig and the subsequent abuse was he was/is a very good footballer at this level and many including myself thought he should have performed better than he did.

KeithTheHibby
04-06-2015, 06:41 AM
He came to us with this reputation of being a goalscoring midfielder however Fenlon insisted on playing him in the wrong position and his performances were not great.
Coupled with the fact that he was our captain when we were relegated also meant that some of the fans would never forgive him.
To an extent he did redeem himself this season however not as much as the likes of Robertson, Stevenson etc. - probably down to lack of game time.
Anyway he was a good pro for us and I wish him all the best wherever he ends up.:aok:

Danderhall Hibs
04-06-2015, 06:47 AM
He came to us with this reputation of being a goalscoring midfielder however Fenlon insisted on playing him in the wrong position and his performances were not great.
Coupled with the fact that he was our captain when we were relegated also meant that some of the fans would never forgive him.
To an extent he did redeem himself this season however not as much as the likes of Robertson, Stevenson etc. - probably down to lack of game time.
Anyway he was a good pro for us and I wish him all the best wherever he ends up.:aok:

Wasn't he out top scorer or second top scorer when Fenlon left?

I think he was 2nd top scorer at the end of the season as well (behind James Collins) - although he hadn't added many to his time with Fenlon.

SlickShoes
04-06-2015, 08:42 AM
Craig will go back to the Premiership and likely have a pretty decent Season without the weight of unrealistic expectation that was placed on him at times with Hibs, wouldn't be surprised to see him at St Johnstone, Dundee or maybe Motherwell

The unreal expectation of not being relegated

CallumLaidlaw
04-06-2015, 08:44 AM

Was it not more butcher that played him out of position? I remember Craig being in a fairly attacking role under Fenlon, but then Butcher decided he was a sitting midfielder.

Carheenlea
04-06-2015, 09:01 AM
A fine ambassador for the club in his off the field captains role, and always conducted himself well. Things did not pan out in the way both parties would have hoped, and this is probably the best decision for both. This happens on a regular basis in football, and Liam Craig will find a club where his place in the squad is a more comfortable fit without too much trouble given his talent.

Danderhall Hibs
06-06-2015, 09:41 AM
It's something that's cast up regularly - so how many bookings did he get for dissent?

I wish we had more players that tried to influence referees.

:dunno: Anyone?

Ryan91
06-06-2015, 03:13 PM

I would certainly appreciate a player like that, that was one thing that Liam did really well, fight for our corner against the ref when few else would.

Simkin911
06-06-2015, 03:38 PM
100% agree. I like to see us moaning at the ref about genuine issues. Liam was good at moaning.

Oscar T Grouch
06-06-2015, 03:39 PM

I can only find the booking he got, 7 two season ago and 7 the season just past, (league only) cannot find details of what each was for. I don't think, from memory that he got booked for dissent once. He liked a wee shout at the ref, but I don't remember him getting booked for doing so. As ever, I may well be wrong.

Danderhall Hibs
06-06-2015, 03:42 PM
I can only find the booking he got, 7 two season ago and 7 the season just past, (league only) cannot find details of what each was for. I don't think, from memory that he got booked for dissent once. He liked a wee shout at the ref, but I don't remember him getting booked for doing so. As ever, I may well be wrong.

Cheers mate - some folk make it sound a lot worse. Almost as if he was booked for dissent every week.

NadeAteMyLunch!
06-06-2015, 03:44 PM

He defo picked up a couple of yellows for dissent in his time with us, not sure how many though and won't be as many as some think. He defo liked a moan, however I'm the exact same on the pitch so I can't really criticise him

Oscar T Grouch
06-06-2015, 03:46 PM
Cheers mate - some folk make it sound a lot worse. Almost as if he was booked for dissent every week.

Yeah, I don't get that either. He was mouthy but certainly no the worst in this league. Every booking I remember was for bad tackles, or in a couple of cases bad refereeing and decent tackles :greengrin