PDA

View Full Version : Career Hibbys

Jamesie
02-06-2015, 10:16 PM
If rumours are true and Lewis Stevenson has indeed signed a new deal then it will take him well over the ten year mark at Easter Road.

if he was to go on and few in another deal after this and ultimately finish his career at Easter Road then when would we last have had a player who was a one-club career Hibby who was here long enough to earn a testimonial? :confused:

TheFamous1875
02-06-2015, 10:21 PM
If rumours are true and Lewis Stevenson has indeed signed a new deal then it will take him well over the ten year mark at Easter Road.

if he was to go on and few in another deal after this and ultimately finish his career at Easter Road then when would we last have had a player who was a one-club career Hibby who was here long enough to earn a testimonial? :confused:

the he upcoming season will be his tenth at the club, so, yes!

Come me to think of it, who was our last one-club player?

Wheat Hound
02-06-2015, 10:26 PM
the he upcoming season will be his tenth at the club, so, yes!

Come me to think of it, who was our last one-club player?

Think Geebsie was the closest but he played latterly for Dundee I think then Australia. Lawrie Reilly?

Jamesie
02-06-2015, 10:30 PM
Think Geebsie was the closest but he played latterly for Dundee I think then Australia. Lawrie Reilly?

Yup, Geebsie spent some time in Canberra. I'm struggling to think of anyone else! The reason I said long enough to earn a testimonial in the OP was to exclude any players who retired early through injury or similar.

Hibeesmad
02-06-2015, 10:31 PM
Would be great if we could have a testimonial for Lewis against the exact same team/squad who won the 2007 league cup

Onceinawhile
03-06-2015, 07:11 AM
Would be great if we could have a testimonial for Lewis against the exact same team/squad who won the 2007 league cup

Before anyone else says it 'will real Madrid let benji go?' Hahaha.

Anyway, might be difficult to get fletch, Scott Brown or whittaker involved as they're still playing?

Frank da djedje should get his brother over. If only there was a player available who played for both teams...

Andy74
03-06-2015, 08:57 AM
Hibhys? Is this like a Celtic cousins type of thing or a typo?

bingo70
03-06-2015, 09:08 AM
The only reason players should get testimonials now is if they agree to give all proceeds to charity. Given the money footballers make these days there's no need for them to get an additional financial boost. Even players like Stevenson who wouldn't have made mega money will still have made a decent wedge out of the game. Worth remembering as well they don't have to actually stop working after football.

A testimonial recognising their contribution to the club with their chosen charity benefiting should be what's offered imo.

Tom Hart RIP
03-06-2015, 03:02 PM
Eddie Turnbull 1946-1959. Don't think he ever played for anyone else?
Lawrie Reilly as well

SunshineOnLeith
03-06-2015, 04:41 PM

Nah, this sort of testimonial match has no appeal to me. Would much rather get a decent European team over, maybe a German team during the festival when lots of german tourists are about and might want to come along.

CallumLaidlaw
03-06-2015, 04:52 PM
Hibs v hearts featuring players that Lewis has played with and against in his time. That would be a welcome addition to the season 😉

tamig
03-06-2015, 07:00 PM
Gordon Rae got his testimonial but think he ended his career with Partick. I think the days of genuine one club players are long gone.

Monts
03-06-2015, 07:09 PM
Probably most likely to be a testimonial against Raith, his hometown club, with a few cameos thrown in.

Jamesie
03-06-2015, 07:39 PM
Gordon Rae got his testimonial but think he ended his career with Partick. I think the days of genuine one club players are long gone.

I immediately thought of Gordon Rae myself but Partick, Hamilton, and even a gig at Meadowbank followed his time at Easter Road.

Forza Fred
03-06-2015, 07:53 PM
Yup, Geebsie spent some time in Canberra. I'm struggling to think of anyone else! The reason I said long enough to earn a testimonial in the OP was to exclude any players who retired early through injury or similar.

And after leaving Canberra I think he may have played a few games for East Fife.

Forza Fred
03-06-2015, 07:56 PM
And after leaving Canberra I think he may have played a few games for East Fife.

Oops.
Mixing him up with Rab Shannon I think.

Gee side finished his career with Stirling Albion.

lyonhibs
04-06-2015, 11:59 AM

:agree: There's a couple of exceptions to this rule (à la Stevie G) but these days if a player spends the vast majority of his playing career in a consecutive stretch, that's about as good as it gets.

Onceinawhile
04-06-2015, 12:01 PM
:agree: There's a couple of exceptions to this rule (à la Stevie G) but these days if a player spends the vast majority of his playing career in a consecutive stretch, that's about as good as it gets.

Stevie G is not a one club player, he's moving to another team!

lyonhibs
04-06-2015, 12:25 PM
Stevie G is not a one club player, he's moving to another team!

Doh! Very true. Ok, he's a prime example of a "as close as we're going to get" 1 team player in the modern era :greengrin

1van Sprou7e
04-06-2015, 01:08 PM
According to this list (which is probably not exhaustive), we have had 4 one club players, the last of which was Turnbull

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_one-club_men

CMac1988
04-06-2015, 02:34 PM
According to this list (which is probably not exhaustive), we have had 4 one club players, the last of which was Turnbull

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_one-club_men

Good find.

So another 4 years and he'll match our longest ever serving player. Onwards and upwards!

KWJ
04-06-2015, 03:06 PM
The only reason players should get testimonials now is if they agree to give all proceeds to charity. Given the money footballers make these days there's no need for them to get an additional financial boost. Even players like Stevenson who wouldn't have made mega money will still have made a decent wedge out of the game. Worth remembering as well they don't have to actually stop working after football.

A testimonial recognising their contribution to the club with their chosen charity benefiting should be what's offered imo.

Disagree. I'd be shocked if Lewis has made more than 100k a year in any year with Hibs.

Don't have stats but I'd still imagine it's the minority of players who stay in the game in a professional capacity once they retire from playing.

You can't tar all footballers with the same brush, EPL players, Celtic players, English Championship Players, Lewis Stevenson's Scottish Championship/English Conference players are all in extremely different boats.

bingo70
04-06-2015, 03:35 PM
Disagree. I'd be shocked if Lewis has made more than 100k a year in any year with Hibs.

Don't have stats but I'd still imagine it's the minority of players who stay in the game in a professional capacity once they retire from playing.

You can't tar all footballers with the same brush, EPL players, Celtic players, English Championship Players, Lewis Stevenson's Scottish Championship/English Conference players are all in extremely different boats.

I think it would probably average out closer to £50k per year. I think my point still stands though, there's no need for that to be topped up by people, many of who will earn less than that.

I didn't mention him staying in football but I would expect someone in their mid 30s to get another job and if he's not been planning for his life after football then I'd be amazed.

KWJ
04-06-2015, 04:21 PM
I think it would probably average out closer to £50k per year. I think my point still stands though, there's no need for that to be topped up by people, many of who will earn less than that.

I didn't mention him staying in football but I would expect someone in their mid 30s to get another job and if he's not been planning for his life after football then I'd be amazed.

It's not asking everyone to finance him, it's simply showing a bit of support and appreciation to a long servant. Beats a wee carriage clock from the office, although maybe he gets that too!

I'd be surprised if he didn't give a percentage to charity, even all, but I don't think he has to.

He earns considerably more than me, but I'd still happily buy him a pint (not before a big match mind!).

bingo70
04-06-2015, 04:27 PM
It's not asking everyone to finance him, it's simply showing a bit of support and appreciation to a long servant. Beats a wee carriage clock from the office, although maybe he gets that too!

I'd be surprised if he didn't give a percentage to charity, even all, but I don't think he has to.

He earns considerably more than me, but I'd still happily buy him a pint (not before a big match mind!).

I think a testimonial with the money going to his chosen charity is recognition enough. Imo that would show just as much support and appreciation appreciation.

Should point out, in no way is this directed at Stevenson, it's a general point about footballers not needing testimonials.