PDA

View Full Version : Champions League/Europa League now all on BT Sport

Sylar
01-06-2015, 08:16 AM
http://sport.bt.com/sport-football/news/bt-sport-exclusive-uk-home-of-the-champions-league-and-europa-league-from-201516-S11363983336861?s_intcid=con_BTcomHP

Couldn't see this being discussed anywhere else but that's a massive loss for Sky! BT will now show ALL Champions League/Europa League games from next year - presumably meaning a loss to the ITV games as well and likely meaning the final.

That's a massive loss for Sky and I do wonder if people will now give thought to binning their exorbitant subscriptions, particularly north of the border. The Scottish Championship games last year were primarily BT Sport and they also own rights to some of the EPL games for those who are interested. Granted, if you want to watch any of the Scottish Premiership or La Liga games, these remain Sky-centric but otherwise, it's a lot of money compared to BT's package (which I presume will change accordingly in the coming months, as right now it's free to BT and Virgin customers!).

I get that Sky still offer an excellent package in their coverage of the Golf, F1, Tennis, NFL and cricket if you're interested in any of the above sports, but for the football fan BT Sport are certainly putting their best foot forward and achieving something the previous challengers in ESPN/Setanta could not.

green&left
01-06-2015, 08:21 AM
This is what drove the prices up for the EPL rights to silly amounts 6 months ago - couldnt afford to lose any more to BT

Heedersnvolleys
01-06-2015, 08:48 AM
This is what drove the prices up for the EPL rights to silly amounts 6 months ago - couldnt afford to lose any more to BT

That is why you are now paying an extra £4.50 for your sky from this month onward as well. For less content.
however I think you will have to pay extra for the European games on BT

Geo_1875
01-06-2015, 08:52 AM
That is why you are now paying an extra £4.50 for your sky from this month onward as well. For less content.
however I think you will have to pay extra for the European games on BT

But they're televising more wimmins sport and soccer from the USofA.

Got to be worth a little bit extra.

CallumLaidlaw
01-06-2015, 08:56 AM
Part of the deal in BT getting the champions league is that they have to show some of the games free to air I believe (to make up for the loss of games on ITV)