PDA

View Full Version : Heysel disaster - 30 years ago today

emerald green
29-05-2015, 06:28 PM
Can't believe it's 30 years since that tragedy. I remember sitting watching events unfold live on TV. Could not believe what I was seeing.

39 fans died and 600 injured, yet the game was played despite the disaster in order to prevent further disorder apparently.

Hibernia&Alba
29-05-2015, 09:16 PM
Did anyone ever go to jail? 39 people dead as a consequence of a riot, but I haven't heard stories of anyone being brought to book.

29-05-2015, 09:44 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-32898612

Scouse Hibee
29-05-2015, 09:45 PM
Did anyone ever go to jail? 39 people dead as a consequence of a riot, but I haven't heard stories of anyone being brought to book.

14 fans were convicted if I recall correctly.

Hibernia&Alba
29-05-2015, 09:51 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-32898612

Cheers for that. As the piece says, it's a tragedy that hasn't been given the same media attention as some others. I had no idea fourteen Liverpool fans were jailed for manslaughter, for example. It was a terrible era of hooliganism, and a disaster was waiting to happen.

Scouse Hibee
29-05-2015, 10:01 PM
Cheers for that. As the piece says, it's a tragedy that hasn't been given the same media attention as some others. I had no idea fourteen Liverpool fans were jailed for manslaughter, for example. It was a terrible era of hooliganism, and a disaster was waiting to happen.

Pretty sure most of the sentences were suspended.

NAE NOOKIE
30-05-2015, 12:12 PM
Never to be repeated lets hope.

Auckland Hibs
30-05-2015, 12:51 PM
Can't believe it's 30 years since that tragedy. I remember sitting watching events unfold live on TV. Could not believe what I was seeing.

39 fans died and 600 injured, yet the game was played despite the disaster in order to prevent further disorder apparently.

Good OP article over on Brokenback about the same subject, was reading their views around the young striker who was freed and came across it - some very different comments about the source of the incident, anyone have an opinion? Was pretty young myself at the time so don't really know much of what happened that terrible night?

HUTCHYHIBBY
30-05-2015, 12:57 PM
I was at The Heysel (its not called that now though) about 3 years ago for the Scotland game thanks to thecat and his mate Kenny, its certainly changed a bit since that fateful night.

Pretty Boy
30-05-2015, 01:14 PM
Good OP article over on Brokenback about the same subject, was reading their views around the young striker who was freed and came across it - some very different comments about the source of the incident, anyone have an opinion? Was pretty young myself at the time so don't really know much of what happened that terrible night?

Fair play to Mark Lawrenson for giving such an honest interview. Not a fan of his but it's refreshing to read that.

I don't pretend to know a lot about Heysel but it ha always seemed strange to me such a high profile disaster with such a high human cost goes pretty much unmentioned every year.

jacomo
30-05-2015, 01:54 PM
Fair play to Mark Lawrenson for giving such an honest interview. Not a fan of his but it's refreshing to read that.

I don't pretend to know a lot about Heysel but it ha always seemed strange to me such a high profile disaster with such a high human cost goes pretty much unmentioned every year.

LFC would rather everybody just forgot about Heysel. Hard to escape the conclusion they have done the minimum possible, rather than remembering and honouring those killed at a match involving their club.

YNWA etc.

Scouse Hibee
30-05-2015, 02:26 PM
LFC would rather everybody just forgot about Heysel. Hard to escape the conclusion they have done the minimum possible, rather than remembering and honouring those killed at a match involving their club.

YNWA etc.

LFC remember and honour it every year! So stop talking pish and making things up.

Mr White
30-05-2015, 03:36 PM
From what I've read about it the game should never have been held there. Both clubs objected in advance and uefa ignored them. Both clubs objected to the neutral section of terracing that eventually allowed fans of both teams to buy tickets for and again uefa ignored them. Of course there's no doubt some liverpool fans were at fault that night but there were grave mistakes made in the venue selection and ticketing arrangements too. I think the match commander or head of security was convicted of manslaughter as well as some Liverpool fans.

BroxburnHibee
30-05-2015, 06:53 PM
This was the reason English teams got banned from Europe for years. Horrible night and it's hard to understand how that game went ahead.

liamh2202
30-05-2015, 07:07 PM
Before my time. Just thankfull things like this seem no longer possible at football.. Along with crushes etc.. Something I always keep in mind when thinking about bringing back terracing and also when debating policing at games etc

emerald green
30-05-2015, 07:20 PM
LFC remember and honour it every year! So stop talking pish and making things up.

:agree: There's a plaque in the Centenary Stand at Anfield to honour the Juventus fans who died at Heysel.

This plaque is one of two memorials like this at Anfield. The other is of course for the 96 Liverpool fans who were killed at Hillsborough four years later.

There are several memorials to the disaster victims in Turin, including one in front of Juventus stadium.

mca
30-05-2015, 09:14 PM
Bit too young (41) to Remember the Ibrox.. but had family involved that day..

And then Bradford, Heysel and Hillsborough -And As a young lad (14) - I was going to watch Liverpool for the First time.. Thankfully I never made it to Sheffield that Day..