PDA

View Full Version : Official Site: STRACHAN TAKES CHARGE OF SCOTLAND AT EASTER ROAD

RSS Bot
29-05-2015, 09:20 AM
More... (http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/5470)

Keith_M
29-05-2015, 09:30 AM
Ongoing FIFA scandal over Qatari and Russian bribes for World Cup Votes.

Workers still held in virtual Slavery building Qatari Stadia, with more deaths recently.

Playing the Qatar team is a new low for Scotland and it's an embarrassment to hold this game at Easter Road.

HUTCHYHIBBY
29-05-2015, 09:45 AM
I'm sure the young Scotland fans of the future will thoroughly enjoy themselves and won't be giving a dugs dangler about any of that.

Geo_1875
29-05-2015, 09:54 AM
While FIFA remain in charge of World Cup competition it will always be tainted. Past events were just as dodgy.

Keith_M
29-05-2015, 09:54 AM
I'm sure the young Scotland fans of the future will thoroughly enjoy themselves and won't be giving a dugs dangler about any of that.

Which is their choice, but I stick to my opinion.

DarrenSQH
29-05-2015, 10:12 AM
looking forward to going to this. Friday night drinks with the boys and a game at ER.

just a bit of a shame who we are playing.

HUTCHYHIBBY
29-05-2015, 10:17 AM
Which is their choice, but I stick to my opinion.

You are certainly entitled to do so.

Big_Franck
29-05-2015, 10:27 AM

Agreed. Also, it can only be of benefit to our club to be hosting international games.

Does anyone have any idea of the kind of fee we might get for hosting this?

B.Wilson
29-05-2015, 11:11 AM
Agreed. Also, it can only be of benefit to our club to be hosting international games.

Does anyone have any idea of the kind of fee we might get for hosting this?

tried to buy a ticket on-line (it is the SFA's website),only stands open according to this are the East,South lower,FF lower,no concession tickets,and the stadium plan is of Hampden,phoned ER and they are going to get in touch with the SFA,plus there is a £3 charge for sending out the tickets,

SteveHFC
29-05-2015, 11:56 AM
Taking the bird to her first scotland game next Friday. Hope she enjoys it. :greengrin

HH81
29-05-2015, 11:57 AM
Taking the bird to her first scotland game next Friday. Hope she enjoys it. :greengrin

She would enjoy it more if I took her. :-)

New bird eh, well done lad enjoy the game.

SteveHFC
29-05-2015, 12:29 PM
She would enjoy it more if I took her. :-)

New bird eh, well done lad enjoy the game.

Thanks mate.

She's one of them though. :greengrin

MSK
29-05-2015, 12:35 PM
Thanks mate.

She's one of them though. :greengrinGinger ?

ben johnson
29-05-2015, 12:57 PM

They are entitled to to do as they wish . Perhaps a minutes silence for the 1200 who have died in the last 4 years could be held. The projected total of deaths is 4000 by the time the stadiums are finished. Many of the Nepali workforce wanted to return home as the news of the earthquake filtered down to them. No was the answer.

As a long standing Hibs supporter i never thought i would see the day our Club would turn the other cheek to this disgrace. The boardroom connections between Hibs and the SFA have led to this situation arising in my opinion.

HibsNutter
29-05-2015, 01:46 PM
Haven't missed a home game in ages but really hoping it is empty, I'm ashamed of the sfa

Big_Franck
29-05-2015, 02:07 PM
Haven't missed a home game in ages but really hoping it is empty, I'm ashamed of the sfa

Looking at the number of tickets left on the SFA website it looks close to a sell out already.

I don't think a lot of fans care who we are playing, they are going to watch Scotland.

Future17
29-05-2015, 02:58 PM
Thanks mate.

Ginger ?

Qatari?

itslegaltender
29-05-2015, 08:01 PM
Looking at the number of tickets left on the SFA website it looks close to a sell out already.

I don't think a lot of fans care who we are playing, they are going to watch Scotland.

They are only allowing ticket purchases for a few left in the East and the South lower. Reckon the West cant be sold out, selective selling to make the game look on tv I reckon...

Golden Bear
29-05-2015, 08:14 PM
Looking forward to the game. The East looks close to a sell out and I'd imagine that tickets for the other areas will be released if the demand is there.

Keith_M
31-05-2015, 09:35 AM
A Curate's Egg (http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/latest/qatar-tie-is-a-curate-s-egg-for-gordon-strachan-1-3788413)

Is that a bit like The Parson's Nose?

Pretty Boy
31-05-2015, 09:51 AM
I really can't see the thought process behind this game at all. Even if Scotland win it could adversely effect our ranking.

The only thing I can think of is the SFA know Hampden will need upgraded/replaced within 15 years or so. The SFA don't have the money to do it but the Qataris do and they are also going to have 7 or 8 stadiums sitting doing nothing 8 years from now that could be taken apart piece by piece and relocated.....

It's a bit like England going to Trinidad for a friendly in June a few summers back to try and get Jack Warners vote for hosting the World Cup except with added human rights abuses and death. Another proud day for those running the Scottish game.

HUTCHYHIBBY
31-05-2015, 10:26 AM
Seems like there could be bigger protests outside ER against the SFA than there were against Petrie last summer. Stupid game to arrange rankings wise right enough.

flash
31-05-2015, 10:36 AM
Thanks mate.

Imaginary?

basehibby
31-05-2015, 01:18 PM
I really can't see the thought process behind this game at all. Even if Scotland win it could adversely effect our ranking.

The only thing I can think of is the SFA know Hampden will need upgraded/replaced within 15 years or so. The SFA don't have the money to do it but the Qataris do and they are also going to have 7 or 8 stadiums sitting doing nothing 8 years from now that could be taken apart piece by piece and relocated.....

It's a bit like England going to Trinidad for a friendly in June a few summers back to try and get Jack Warners vote for hosting the World Cup except with added human rights abuses and death. Another proud day for those running the Scottish game.

:agree: Of course it's not the fault of Strachan and the Scotland team - or the Quatari players and coaches either. But really questionable motives and decision making by the SFA - it's an obvious and arguably immoral attempt to brown nose FIFA and the Quataris in the wake of their extremely controversial world cup finals award rather than providing meaningful opposition for the players or a stand out fixture for the fans.

I would not be falling over myself to get to this tie anyway but won't be touching it with a barge pole given the back drop of sleaze. No-one at the SFA will win any fans for this either - poor show!

Keith_M
31-05-2015, 02:00 PM
The Herald is reporting a possible boycott of the match (http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/pressure-mounts-on-sfa-to-act-over-scotland-qatar-game-marred-by-human-rights-abuses.127570444).

I'm not sure that's going to work, as somebody on her esuggested the tickets are selling well already.

--------
01-06-2015, 08:39 AM
Ongoing FIFA scandal over Qatari and Russian bribes for World Cup Votes.

Workers still held in virtual Slavery building Qatari Stadia, with more deaths recently.

Playing the Qatar team is a new low for Scotland and it's an embarrassment to hold this game at Easter Road.

No, we've been here before - we played Chile in the Estadio Nacional in Santiago as part of our alleged 'preparation' for the 1978 World Cup, and little good did it do us.

For those to young to remember and who may not care, this was an early example of a multi-purpose sports facility - part-time football stadium, part-time detention and execution centre for the opponents of the Pinochet regime during the mid-1970's. The pitch was used as a landing pad for Army choppers coming in to load up detainees who were then transported out over the Pacific ocean before being thrown out - a method of disposal which meant that the bodies were never found. These people are referred to as 'desaparecidos ' - disappeared - and in both Chile and Argentina there are still thousands of people who just don't know what finally happened to their children, parents, brothers or sisters.

European nations refused to play there in the years of repression following the 1973 overthrow of the Allende government until Ernie Walker (SFA secretary) and Ally McLeod (team manger and resident clown) - carve their names with pride - agreed that Scotland should play Chile in the stadium as a pre-tournament acclimatisation in the alleged preparations for the WC in 1987. Just to do a really good job of pissing on the graves of the victims, Scotland followed up the Chile match with one in Buenos Aires, in another football stadium/torture and execution site run by another bunch of fascist thugs.

Walker was tarred with the same brush as the then FIFA President, Sir Stanley Rous, celebrated Fascist fellow-traveller and supporter of the white racist regimes in South Africa and Rhodesia in the 1960's and 70's. Their motto seemed to be 'Never let the the death of innocents or the flagrant outraging of human rights get in the way of a football tournament' - a sentiment it appears the present rulers of the world game share.

See above.

Mikey09
01-06-2015, 10:58 AM
Anyone know if you can buy tickets at the game??

Golden Bear
01-06-2015, 11:40 AM
I see tickets for the West Lower are now available.

http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/

HUTCHYHIBBY
01-06-2015, 12:15 PM
For people that are that bothered about the fixture the simple option is not to attend, quite simple really.

Scott Allan Key
01-06-2015, 12:37 PM
I wouldn't attend and there are plenty of other countries with human rights abuses all over the world that make me feel the same.

I have probably went too far with previous comments on this matter but as long as innocent women and ignorant stereotypes don't get dragged into this I can't fault a person's right to an opinion. Our elites are not much better than Qatar's and would/have done just as bad to workers. They are those responsible for being out of touch with any justified concerns.

Unless there is an ethical code/fund to guarantee infrastructure and facilities that have lasting benefit to nations hosting world cup, it'll remain jobs for the boys.

Diclonius
01-06-2015, 12:40 PM
No intention of going or watching on the TV given Qatar's blatant disregard for human rights.

Mikey09
02-06-2015, 11:48 AM
Anyone know if they're selling tickets at the game??

Johnny Clash
02-06-2015, 01:04 PM
No, we've been here before - we played Chile in the Estadio Nacional in Santiago as part of our alleged 'preparation' for the 1978 World Cup, and little good did it do us.

For those to young to remember and who may not care, this was an early example of a multi-purpose sports facility - part-time football stadium, part-time detention and execution centre for the opponents of the Pinochet regime during the mid-1970's. The pitch was used as a landing pad for Army choppers coming in to load up detainees who were then transported out over the Pacific ocean before being thrown out - a method of disposal which meant that the bodies were never found. These people are referred to as 'desaparecidos ' - disappeared - and in both Chile and Argentina there are still thousands of people who just don't know what finally happened to their children, parents, brothers or sisters.

European nations refused to play there in the years of repression following the 1973 overthrow of the Allende government until Ernie Walker (SFA secretary) and Ally McLeod (team manger and resident clown) - carve their names with pride - agreed that Scotland should play Chile in the stadium as a pre-tournament acclimatisation in the alleged preparations for the WC in 1987. Just to do a really good job of pissing on the graves of the victims, Scotland followed up the Chile match with one in Buenos Aires, in another football stadium/torture and execution site run by another bunch of fascist thugs.

Walker was tarred with the same brush as the then FIFA President, Sir Stanley Rous, celebrated Fascist fellow-traveller and supporter of the white racist regimes in South Africa and Rhodesia in the 1960's and 70's. Their motto seemed to be 'Never let the the death of innocents or the flagrant outraging of human rights get in the way of a football tournament' - a sentiment it appears the present rulers of the world game share.

See above.

Great post about the shameful actions of the SFA back in the 1970s.

It now seems certain that Qatar bribed their way to hosting the World Cup. ... A rancid regime that abuses human rights. It's disgusting that so far 1,420 World Cup workers have died in what is the World's richest country. At this rate 4,000 workers will have been killed by the time the World Cup starts in 2022. Workers getting treated like slaves can't be overlooked just coz we want to watch a game of football.

patlowe
02-06-2015, 01:14 PM
You have to wonder what is in this for Scotland or what the SFA have been promised. Whatever it is, it's not enough IMO. It's terrible PR and terrible for our ranking points when we are so close to getting back in with the big boys seeding wise.

Keith_M
02-06-2015, 01:21 PM
For people that are that bothered about the fixture the simple option is not to attend, quite simple really.

Or if they are really bothered, then they are also free to protest against it and highlight the reasons why.

silverhibee
02-06-2015, 02:02 PM
Ginger ?

Reported.

silverhibee
02-06-2015, 02:04 PM
Seems like there could be bigger protests outside ER against the SFA than there were against Petrie last summer. Stupid game to arrange rankings wise right enough.

I'll be outside.

silverhibee
02-06-2015, 02:04 PM
Imaginary?

Nae need.

--------
02-06-2015, 08:26 PM

Are we keeping you awake? :tsk tsk:

As I understand it this fixture was agreed by three SFA executives including our own dear Rod Petrie while on a luxury all-expenses-paid SFA holiday - sorry, fact-finding visit - to Qatar some months ago.

Qatar's abuses of human rights are well-documented; their treatment of the foreign workers engaged in building the stadiums for this World Cup is also well-documented.

On Friday evening Hibernian will be instrumental in helping one of the nastiest regimes in a very nasty world present itself as acceptable and welcome among the community of nations.

This doesn't 'bother' me - it makes me very angry, and I will say so, and continue to do so. The fact that a previous generation of SFA apparatchiks saw nothing wrong in having the Scottish football team play in a stadium that had functioned as a death-camp under the auspices of a thug like Pinochet was disgusting, and we got exactly what we deserved in Argentina the following year.

Now Easter Road will be the venue for a PR nose-job for the Qatari sheikhs and their loathsome regime. Nice one. :sick: