PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Keating (Hibernian, give us a goal)

big-mo
28-05-2015, 06:41 PM
Some of our older contributers may have known or heard of John Keating, Johnny passed away today. So why an I posting this on the .net, Johnny was part of the history of the club and many Hibs fans still sing his songs, he was the one that wrote the words and produced 'Turnbull's Tornadoes', he also produced Sheila Hart's song 'Hibernian (Give us a goal)'.

Johnny was born on the Royal Mile, Edinburgh on 10th September 1927. He played the trombone and piano and went on to play trombone with the Ted Heath big band in 1952. Heath asked him to become the principal arranger with the band. He later wrote and arranged hits for Adam Faith, Petula Clark, Antony Newley and Sammy Davis Jnr. One of his best known tunes was the Theme from Z-Cars which got to number 5 in the charts, it is still played at every Everton home game. He later had his own orchestra and conducted the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra.

In 1973 he was asked by then Hibs Chairman Tom Hart to produce two songs sung by the Hibs team 'Turnbull's Tornados' and Hibernian (give us a goal).

RIP Johnny

liamh2202
28-05-2015, 06:43 PM
Rip grew up around those songs, thoughts are with his family

brog
28-05-2015, 06:44 PM
[QUOTE=big-mo;4385833]Some of our older contributers may have known or heard of John Keating, Johnny passed away today. So why an I posting this on the .net, Johnny was part of the history of the club and many Hibs fans still sing his songs, he was the one that wrote the words and produced 'Turnbull's Tornadoes', he also produced Sheila Hart's song 'Hibernian (Give us a goal)'.

Johnny was born on the Royal Mile, Edinburgh on 10th September 1927. He played the trombone and piano and went on to play trombone with the Ted Heath big band in 1952. Heath asked him to become the principal arranger with the band. He later wrote and arranged hits for Adam Faith, Petula Clark, Antony Newley and Sammy Davis Jnr. One of his best known tunes was the Theme from Z-Cars which got to number 5 in the charts, it is still played at every Everton home game. He later had his own orchestra and conducted the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra.

In 1973 he was asked by then Hibs Chairman Tom Hart to produce two songs sung by the Hibs team 'Turnbull's Tornados' and Hibernian (give us a goal).

That's very sad news. All of us in London remember Johnny & his family with great fondness. Our thoughts are with you all.

Mr White
28-05-2015, 06:47 PM
RIP Johnny Keating. 2 classic hibs songs. I love Give Us A Goal, I wish it was played at easter road sometimes.

Joe6-2
28-05-2015, 06:49 PM
RIP Johnny Keating. 2 classic hibs songs. I love Give Us A Goal, I wish it was played at easter road sometimes.

RIP
I agree this should be played!

Baldy Foghorn
28-05-2015, 06:51 PM
Have the single still, two good songs....RIP Johnny

Jonnyboy
28-05-2015, 07:22 PM
RIP Johnny. Thank you for those wonderful Hibernian songs

scuttle
28-05-2015, 07:28 PM
Always sad to hear these stories .....RIP Johnny

HIBERNIAN-0762
28-05-2015, 07:34 PM
RIP Johnny, still got your record!

Bostonhibby
28-05-2015, 07:36 PM
RIP, Great shame, those songs are right around the time when it was great to be a Hibby, can hear them now - got them somewhere still.

Iggy Pope
28-05-2015, 07:45 PM
A big part of (fairly) modern Hibs history as these songs are inseparable from the Tornadoes.
A loss to those of us of a certain vintage. Great times, so thanks Johnny.

basehibby
29-05-2015, 10:34 AM
RIP Johnny - and thank you for two absolute classic football songs - your music will live on at Easter Road

Northern Hibby
29-05-2015, 11:05 AM
Got them all on the Hibs CD, had them on record growing up still know all the words off by heart.

Glory to the Hibees
There's never been a team like the Hibees
So Here's to the Hibeess
GLORY TO THE GREAT HIBEES
:flag: :flag: :flag: :flag:

Northern Hibby
29-05-2015, 11:14 AM
Hibs, Hibs , Hibs for the cup
or teams the greatest they never give up
Hibs, Hibs the boys in the Green
The Best Brand of Football the World's Ever Seen!!
:flag: :flag: :flag: :flag:

WeeRussell
29-05-2015, 11:37 AM
Never knew of the guy/never realised that was who was responsible for those two songs.

But I've been listening to those songs on matchday (as well as others) for years and will continue to do so.

RIP.

Keith_M
29-05-2015, 11:57 AM
RIP Johnny and condolences to his friends and family

Fergos
29-05-2015, 04:00 PM
Two of my favourite Hibs songs. Proud to own the original single on Waverley records.

Sad news. Condolences to the gents family and friends. RIP.

GGTTH

Jamesie
29-05-2015, 04:10 PM
Johnny and his sons were also responsible for two classic, but much neglected, Hibs songs which formed the soundtrack to the "Team That Wouldn't Die" video. I'd really like these tracks to have greater air play at Easter Road in the future.

RIP Johnny, a true Hibs hero.

The Harp
29-05-2015, 10:50 PM
Very sad to hear of Johnny's passing, not just an extremely talented musician, writer and arranger but also a good Hibee. Years ago, I used to hear of him from the staff at St Anthony's school who were rightly proud of their former pupil.
Thanks for those Hibee anthems Johnny.
Sincere condolences to Johnny's family and friends.

RIP