PDA

View Full Version : Players Union chief believes some Scottish Premiership clubs may turn part-time

emerald green
27-05-2015, 11:20 AM
Fraser Wishart believes this to be the case as a consequence of low wages being offered to their players.

Wishart is quoted in a good article in today's Scotsman newspaper as saying "this is a real test for our game because with budgets being cut year on year more players are questioning whether it is worthwhile playing football on a full-time basis. It's a tough time for players at the moment and, judging by some of the offers being made, there are certain clubs which must be struggling to remain full-time."

There's a lot more in the article, and at one part it talks about as recently as 2002 Kilmarnock FC were paying French playmaker Christophe Cocard (who?) around £8,000 per week. :rolleyes:

Wishart goes on to say "a decade or so ago clubs were paying players, especially foreign players, crazy money, money they couldn't afford." Does this remind anyone of a certain club in particular? Here's a clue - they play in maroon.

pennyhibee
27-05-2015, 11:28 AM
Yes we need to get tv companies and sponsors more interested in putting money back in or game and I think if we had the 16 league Premier in place it would make for a more competitive and attractive draw :aok:

IanM
27-05-2015, 11:32 AM
thing is, footballers will still earn more than joe public (in most instances) and we're the ones that are asked to use our wages to pay their wages.
don't believe for a minute that there's players in the SPL that will have to take a part time job. if so they need to learn how to manage their money better.

live within you means regardless of how much you earn. by all means get a part time job but don't feel sorry for any professional footballer who can afford to have a better lifestyle than the majority of their fans.

NAE NOOKIE
27-05-2015, 12:39 PM
thing is, footballers will still earn more than joe public (in most instances) and we're the ones that are asked to use our wages to pay their wages.
don't believe for a minute that there's players in the SPL that will have to take a part time job. if so they need to learn how to manage their money better.

live within you means regardless of how much you earn. by all means get a part time job but don't feel sorry for any professional footballer who can afford to have a better lifestyle than the majority of their fans.

That is fine as it stands .... but 10 years at the top earning 1K a week isn't going to set you up for life. IMO its imperative that the top 16 or so clubs stay full time, if we do get to a point where say Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen, Dundee Utd, Celtic and The Rangers are the only full time clubs left it will seriously be time to go cap in hand to the FA for a way into their league system.

liamh2202
27-05-2015, 12:41 PM
That is fine as it stands .... but 10 years at the top earning 1K a week isn't going to set you up for life. IMO its imperative that the top 16 or so clubs stay full time, if we do get to a point where say Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen, Dundee Utd, Celtic and The Rangers are the only full time clubs left it will seriously be time to go cap in hand to the FA for a way into their league system.

They can still work when they retire though.. I'd happily take ten years out to play footy for the money I'm on now then return to work when I'm done

My_Wife_Camille
27-05-2015, 12:53 PM
Fraser Wishart believes this to be the case as a consequence of low wages being offered to their players.

Wishart is quoted in a good article in today's Scotsman newspaper as saying "this is a real test for our game because with budgets being cut year on year more players are questioning whether it is worthwhile playing football on a full-time basis. It's a tough time for players at the moment and, judging by some of the offers being made, there are certain clubs which must be struggling to remain full-time."

There's a lot more in the article, and at one part it talks about as recently as 2002 Kilmarnock FC were paying French playmaker Christophe Cocard (who?) around £8,000 per week. :rolleyes:

Wishart goes on to say "a decade or so ago clubs were paying players, especially foreign players, crazy money, money they couldn't afford." Does this remind anyone of a certain club in particular? Here's a clue - they play in maroon.did Cocard not play for the French national team?

Lago
27-05-2015, 12:55 PM

Think it is inevitable that we will eventually have to swallow our pride and take our chances down South.

Lago
27-05-2015, 12:55 PM

Think it is inevitable that we will eventually have to swallow our pride and take our chances down South.

SlickShoes
27-05-2015, 01:21 PM
Can they no work when they finish playing football like?

In the past football players just got normal jobs when their career was over, some of them used the football money/time they had wisely and educated themselves.

Clubs should have higher education programs for players rather than paying inflated wages, that would solve the problem better of what to do when their short football career is over.

Keith_M
27-05-2015, 01:51 PM
I think Wishart is exaggerating a little, as I don't think any top flight club is seriously contemplating going part-time.

southern hibby
27-05-2015, 02:04 PM
I'm all for joining the lower leagues in England, especially if it meant fair refereeing and a shot at different teams.
Before anyone comes on to slate me just think of this. Our FA are only interested in getting the newest team in Scotland into the top tier. They've not bothered about how much disrepute that team has done to our respect etc across the globe. Celtic and The Rangers have stated numerously that they want to join the English Elite, well I'm all for Hibs to lead the way.
When was the last time a promising young player left England to ply their trade in Scotland and I don't mean players who are reserecting their careers or don't make the grade down south.
However this is a discussion for another day, but the powers that be in Scotland only are concerned about the wedgie sisters and not the rest of us.

GGTTH

emerald green
27-05-2015, 05:32 PM
did Cocard not play for the French national team?

I believe he did at one point, although I genuinely hadn't heard of him.

He was 34 years old when he was at Kilmarnock, and no longer a French international as far as I'm aware.

DH1875
28-05-2015, 07:46 AM
Cocard was a good player. Think he was yonger than 34 when he joined them though.
Would love it if we joined the English leagues TBH.

emerald green
28-05-2015, 09:11 AM
Cocard was a good player. Think he was yonger than 34 when he joined them though.
Would love it if we joined the English leagues TBH.

No doubt he was a good player if he played for France at one point in his career.

The point was though that a club like Kilmarnock were reportedly paying a player £8,000 per week. If we were to exclude Kilmarnock's home attendances for games against Celtic & Rangers (as they were known in 2002) then their average home attendance would be around at a guess 4,000 maybe?

Unless there was some very rich person personally bankrolling that sort of outlay, then that seems unsustainable to me for a club that size.