PDA

View Full Version : Stubbs inked to Sheffield Utd.

Lago
27-05-2015, 11:07 AM
BBC reporting Sheffield Utd interested in Stubbs following sacking of Clough. My worry has always been that it would be harder to hold onto Stubbs and his coaches rather than some of the players.

liamh2202
27-05-2015, 11:08 AM
This is why I think coaches should be on the same contract system as players... Make us a bid for him let leann decide if it's suitable or not.

NadeAteMyLunch!
27-05-2015, 11:09 AM
Seen that. I have faith that he won't jump ship before he's actually achieved anything here

Cod Boy
27-05-2015, 11:11 AM
Phil Parkinson will get the job

Lago
27-05-2015, 11:12 AM
Seen that. I have faith that he won't jump ship before he's actually achieved anything here
Really hope your right, I feel to lose him now would cause hibs a huge set back.

Keith_M
27-05-2015, 11:12 AM
As I said on the Allan to Therangers thread, it's Silly Season, best not to get too worked up about it.

emerald green
27-05-2015, 11:25 AM
If Hibs sell Allan, that might be enough to make Stubbs follow him out the door if he gets a good offer from Sheffield. And who could really blame him?

Might not happen though. Fingers crossed.

Steve20
27-05-2015, 11:30 AM
Sheff Utd will go for someone with more of a track record. Stubbs hasn't achieved anything yet.

Newry Hibs
27-05-2015, 11:34 AM
Sheff Utd will go for someone with more of a track record. Stubbs hasn't achieved anything yet.

Though, look at Norwich and Alex Neil.

Golden Bear
27-05-2015, 11:37 AM
As a Club, our Manager and Players seem to be in big demand when you consider that we failed to win promotion.

It would be good to see the same sort of speculation associated with another Edinburgh club for a change.

muzzando
27-05-2015, 11:41 AM
Though, look at Norwich and Alex Neil.

Alex Neil had achieved promotion and had Hamilton at the top of the table at one point this season. Fair to say he'd achieved more than Stubbs has at this point

muzzando
27-05-2015, 11:43 AM
Regarding Stubbs to Sheff Utd though, there's no chance he'll leave us atm. Think he wants to do something here and I think he's aware that we have a bright future regardless of the fact we didn't get promoted this season

Pete
27-05-2015, 02:22 PM
The last thing Sheffield United need is another young, relatively unproven manager. They need a Warnock or Redknapp to get them out of league one.

This is all getting silly.

Lago
27-05-2015, 03:03 PM
The last thing Sheffield United need is another young, relatively unproven manager. They need a Warnock or Redknapp to get them out of league one.

This is all getting silly.

Maybe a Butcher with a Malpas might make the grade.

JimBHibees
27-05-2015, 03:04 PM
Surely Shef Utd would be worried of getting into another Davie Weir situation.

Would imagine the guy from Brentford would be in with a shout.

Smartie
27-05-2015, 03:09 PM
Sheffield United is a decent gig for someone. Big club, good ground, good fans.

I can't believe that next year will be their 5th year in that league.

If Stubbs wants to manage in the premiership then that might be quite a good route to take.

Or he could snuff out a promising career just as it's beginning to get going by taking on what has been a poisoned chalice for some.

I think it is in everyone's interests for him to stay and get us up. After that he should be able to go with our blessing, knowing that a solid infrastructure is in place for another manager to come into. I think we're going in the right direction but it hasn't fully bedded in yet.

Pete
27-05-2015, 03:25 PM
Maybe a Butcher with a Malpas might make the grade.

They'll get out of league one all right.

It's 50/50 as to which league they'd be joining.

Lago
27-05-2015, 03:34 PM
:agree:
They'll get out of league one all right.

It's 50/50 as to which league they'd be joining.

greenginger
27-05-2015, 03:45 PM

If Stubbs wants to manage in the premiership then that might be quite a good route to take.

Or he could snuff out a promising career just as it's beginning to get going by taking on what has been a poisoned chalice for some.

I think it is in everyone's interests for him to stay and get us up. After that he should be able to go with our blessing, knowing that a solid infrastructure is in place for another manager to come into. I think we're going in the right direction but it hasn't fully bedded in yet.

I think you are forgetting Charles Green was in charge of Sheffield United a few years ago. There will be lots of onerous contracts draining the club of finance.

NORTHERNHIBBY
27-05-2015, 03:49 PM
If Hibs sell Allan, that might be enough to make Stubbs follow him out the door if he gets a good offer from Sheffield. And who could really blame him?

Might not happen though. Fingers crossed.

Not if we get decent money and it all goes to Stubbs for next season.

Nando™
27-05-2015, 03:53 PM
This is why I think coaches should be on the same contract system as players... Make us a bid for him let leann decide if it's suitable or not.

Agreed.

Can someone inform of why this is not happening already?

superfurryhibby
27-05-2015, 04:05 PM

Much of what you say could apply to his job with us too. Certainly been a poisoned chalice for the managers appointed during the past nine years or so too. Failure to secure promotion would see Stbbs punted here too.

I agree that staying here is a good idea all round, not. so sure I like the idea of him bolting with our blessing if we get promoted though. Still , that would be a challenge I think most of us could accept.

As always cash plays a part. If a team offers double the dosh and it suits him, then Stubbs might well .
be off. He has a year to get it right here, probably the same applies to any other post that might arise. Really hoping he stays though.

CropleyWasGod
27-05-2015, 04:06 PM
Agreed.

Because clubs hold players' registrations, but not coaches. The latter are "merely" employees, with fixed-term contracts. As such, those contracts can be broken by either side, sometimes mutually, sometimes unilaterally.

It's also worth bearing in mind that, where a coach is wanted by another club, there is normally a compensation settlement agreed between the clubs. Those amounts are never publicised, of course, and it would be interesting to see at what level, and how, they're settled.

PatHead
27-05-2015, 04:07 PM
Agreed.

Stubbs is under contract until the end of season 15/16. If anyone wants him that will mean a fee being paid. Is that not the same as the players system?

liamh2202
27-05-2015, 04:10 PM
Stubbs is under contract until the end of season 15/16. If anyone wants him that will mean a fee being paid. Is that not the same as the players system?

Not really it's more compensation than say a player who has a value on his head or indeed a bidding war

3pm
27-05-2015, 04:32 PM

I am sure Leanne Dempster said she was discussing a new deal with him that night at the HSL / St Pats meeting.

DH1875
27-05-2015, 04:39 PM
I am sure Leanne Dempster said she was discussing a new deal with him that night at the HSL / St Pats meeting.

With Stubbs? Would think that'll have been put on hold for now.

SquashedFrogg
27-05-2015, 05:11 PM
With Stubbs? Would think that'll have been put on hold for now.

Why would it be on hold 'for now'? Just curious :confused:

DH1875
27-05-2015, 05:24 PM
Why would it be on hold 'for now'? Just curious :confused:

Their gonna have to give it 6 months to see where we are. If we don't go up next season then Stubbs won't be here. Makes it harder if he's got a 3 year deal.

SquashedFrogg
27-05-2015, 05:34 PM
Their gonna have to give it 6 months to see where we are. If we don't go up next season then Stubbs won't be here. Makes it harder if he's got a 3 year deal.

Appreciate the reply but I'm not sure that's the way things will go. For me Stubbs has the potential to do well with both us, and in the future. I think our club can see that too. I think this season has shown what he can do (albeit we obviously never went up).

The club are talking today about continuity so it would be weird to wait 6 months to sign Stubbs up.

Why would we be looking to convince the core of our team to sign, yet not try and sort out a longer deal for Stubbs?

Our manager is the key to moving forward and I'm sure is being looked at as a priority.

Nando™
27-05-2015, 07:41 PM
Because clubs hold players' registrations, but not coaches. The latter are "merely" employees, with fixed-term contracts. As such, those contracts can be broken by either side, sometimes mutually, sometimes unilaterally.

It's also worth bearing in mind that, where a coach is wanted by another club, there is normally a compensation settlement agreed between the clubs. Those amounts are never publicised, of course, and it would be interesting to see at what level, and how, they're settled.

Thanks for that.

It seems to me that when a certain club wants a manager from elsewhere, they always get their man. And, as you say, we never see how much the compensation given is.

I would like to see managers on the same level of contract as players. Or, at the very least, be told what kind of fees are being paid.