PDA

View Full Version : Festival Cup to start again?

3pm
27-05-2015, 07:14 AM
It's a no from me.

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/hearts-hibs-festival-cup-clash-could-be-revived-1-3784048

3pm
27-05-2015, 07:14 AM
http://m.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/hearts-hibs-festival-cup-clash-could-be-revived-1-3784048

Broken Gnome
27-05-2015, 07:16 AM
No. No no no. No.

Never.

lucky
27-05-2015, 07:16 AM
No

Waxy
27-05-2015, 07:41 AM
No no no. One of the few bonuses of staying down is not having to play them. Plus we won the last derby. Leave it at that for a while.

Billy McKirdy
27-05-2015, 07:44 AM
No no no. One of the few bonuses of staying down is not having to play them. Plus we won the last derby. Leave it at that for a while.

:agree: I hate playing them nowadays too.
No to this idea as well.

Ronniekirk
27-05-2015, 08:02 AM
Probably seen by both clubs as a money spinner It hasn't caught the imagination of fans or festival goers before so would need to be marketed right and involve another big name from abroad possibly and be a tournament . If just Hibs Hearts pricing needs to e right as I won't just turn up because it's the only time we may play them next season unless of course we make some really exciting signings .

Billy Whizz
27-05-2015, 08:11 AM
Did we not play our youth teams the last time?

SkootTheCat
27-05-2015, 08:16 AM
No thanks, I'm out.

green&left
27-05-2015, 08:18 AM
Went to the one at ER, would not arsed about this in the slightest.

Quoted saying she wants to keep the Derby alive but would've cut our allocation by more than half if we got up. Good one Budge :cb

Colr
27-05-2015, 08:19 AM
It's a no from me.

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/hearts-hibs-festival-cup-clash-could-be-revived-1-3784048

Why bother? We used to have the East of Scotland Shield contested between the first teams. If they want another derby, just start that again and get a few more teams in as well, like City and Spartans.

Diclonius
27-05-2015, 08:20 AM
When we play Hearts again I want it to be a competitive game, not yet another excuse for them to gloat.

Billy Whizz
27-05-2015, 08:24 AM
If it's at Tynie, we're only going to get 1,200 tickets, loyalty points will kick in again😄

Also is this the same Ann Budge who wants to revive it, who will cut our allocation?

Fife-Hibee
27-05-2015, 08:27 AM
No thanks

liamh2202
27-05-2015, 08:47 AM
I like how the club's have been backing each other recently. But on the grounds of budge cutting our allocation I would be comfortable with leann telling her to gtf on this one

SlickShoes
27-05-2015, 09:24 AM
Would rather not get kicked off the park right at the start of the season

emerald green
27-05-2015, 09:41 AM
I would miss this fixture like a hole in the head. It's a long season, and Hibs will have far more important fixtures to focus on.

Hibs don't need distractions like this. Imagine a key player picking up an injury in a non event like this.

ionahibby
27-05-2015, 10:15 AM
No way would i be interested on this. I hope dempster doesn't even entertain this idea!

portyhibernian
27-05-2015, 10:35 AM
I went to one of these at Tynecastle years ago, think Dobbie scored a screamer for us but ended up losing 2-1. Was a crap game nobody really cared about, can't see that changing just because we're in different leagues.

Mikey09
27-05-2015, 10:39 AM
And the best thing is Leanne Dempster will listen to the Hibs fans on things like this.... Quite refreshing.

Lago
27-05-2015, 11:02 AM
It's a no from me.

It was garbage then and would be garbage now.

Bad Martini
27-05-2015, 11:34 AM
Pile of *****. Went to one of these, we lost, nuff said. Pish. Keep it where it is. In the bucket.

ENDOF

green day
27-05-2015, 11:47 AM
You just need to look at the EEN comments to see what a bad idea this would be......

AndyM_1875
27-05-2015, 11:53 AM
Not interested.

Would rather play some English sides before we start our season on July 25.

Keith_M
27-05-2015, 11:55 AM
If we're going to have a high profile friendly game, I'd rather we played some team from England or Abroad.

HFC 0-7
27-05-2015, 12:20 PM
Should set it up again, treat it like a pre season / testimonial and have the proceeds going to a local charity. Make the tickets cheap enough and if its for a good cause there would be a good turn out. First half with the current squad members second half with legends or something like that.

LaMotta
27-05-2015, 12:23 PM
Should set it up again, treat it like a pre season / testimonial and have the proceeds going to a local charity. Make the tickets cheap enough and if its for a good cause there would be a good turn out. First half with the current squad members second half with legends or something like that.

The tickets on Saturday were cheap enough and the good cause was there as an opprtunity to roar us on to promotion. There wasnt exactly a good turnout for that, so for a friendly? Absolutely no chance!

SunshineOnLeith
27-05-2015, 12:29 PM
Always thought this was a great idea if done properly as a commercial venture. Do it in August now we've got that rule the OF insisted on about postponing a league fixture, to make the most of tourists etc being in town. Invite teams from the US/Japan (or other countries with lots of tourists in town), and have a wee mini tournament at Murrayfield. 2 games in a day, party/carnival atmosphere in the stadium grounds with bars etc. Turn the Edinburgh Rugby shop into an Edinburgh football shop for the duration and sell strips etc.

Maybe a bit ambitious but there's a workable event in there if there was intent from both sides.

LancashireHibby
27-05-2015, 12:33 PM
I don't think playing Hearts is the way to do it, but there's definitely some mileage in having a couple of teams from abroad over for a tournament around Festival time.

HFC 0-7
27-05-2015, 12:36 PM
The tickets on Saturday were cheap enough and the good cause was there as an opprtunity to roar us on to promotion. There wasnt exactly a good turnout for that, so for a friendly? Absolutely no chance!

There was 13,500 hibs fans there at the weekend. Even if there was only 5,000 fans there for the festival cup, if the proceeds went to charity then I think its still a good idea.

macca70
27-05-2015, 12:38 PM
Don't see why there is so much negativity around something that can surely only be positive.

We are crying out for ways to promote our club during Edinburgh's busiest month, this is ideal.

Maybe it's just the fear of losing and due to our recent record against them being dreadful.

The alternative to a 1 off Derby is a 4 team pre season tourney over a weekend in August. Hibs, Hearts, A Spanish team and a German team.

2 x Semis on a Saturday or Friday night
With the final being late Sunday afternoon.

iwasthere1972
27-05-2015, 12:39 PM
I went to one of these at Tynecastle years ago, think Dobbie scored a screamer for us but ended up losing 2-1. Was a crap game nobody really cared about, can't see that changing just because we're in different leagues.

Think it was 2004. Chris Hoy was paraded showing his Olympic Medal. I even popped into Robertsons pre match for a quick pint. Rubbish game. Absolute waste of the money and effort.

Hearts won 3-1. Dobbie scored from the penalty spot.

Big_Franck
27-05-2015, 12:44 PM
It was crap the last time and would probably be crap again. 'Friendlies' against the saviles are just not right.

kaimendhibs
27-05-2015, 01:36 PM
No thanks

portyhibernian
27-05-2015, 03:50 PM
Think it was 2004. Chris Hoy was paraded showing his Olympic Medal. I even popped into Robertsons pre match for a quick pint. Rubbish game. Absolute waste of the money and effort.

Hearts won 3-1. Dobbie scored from the penalty spot.

My memory must be playing tricks on me, had it in my head he scored a 25 yarder!

Broken Gnome
27-05-2015, 04:05 PM
My memory must be playing tricks on me, had it in my head he scored a 25 yarder!

Disallowed I think?

I remember feeling right cheated they brought on De Vries in what was a glorified youth game. And the git scored with his first touch.

greenlex
27-05-2015, 07:23 PM
Hope it's on the telly.😄

weonlywon6-2
27-05-2015, 07:24 PM
God no, waste of time

Pretty Boy
27-05-2015, 07:25 PM
I'll pass.

A year without playing them is fine. I love the derby more than any game, despite our record, but missing it for a season (hopefully) Will make the 1st Derby when we are back up all the better.

Hibrandenburg
28-05-2015, 05:08 AM
If we're going to have a high profile friendly game, I'd rather we played some team from England or Abroad.

This!

PeeJay
28-05-2015, 09:21 AM
I find it quite disheartening to read so many Hibs fans claiming that don't want to play a game against a local club from a higher league or even (on other threads) against The Rangers because - apparently - we can't compete and we might get beat.

emerald green
28-05-2015, 10:11 AM
I find it quite disheartening to read so many Hibs fans claiming that don't want to play a game against a local club from a higher league or even (on other threads) against The Rangers because - apparently - we can't compete and we might get beat.

That's not what "so many Hibs fans" are claiming at all.

Many Hibs supporters are just not interested in such a meaningless, boring, and pointless fixture (Festival Cup). It's not because - apparently - "we can't compete and we might get beat".

The issue of competing against The Rangers (possibly) over a whole season in The Championship is a different kettle of fish entirely. It's not that Hibs "can't compete" with them over a season. Nobody, as far as I'm aware has said that at all (just you), although I don't read through every post on every thread!

However, it's a simple fact that if Hibs are to be guarantee promotion next season, i.e. win the Championship outright, and not come up via the dangerous route of the play-offs, then surely Hibs chances of doing that are enhanced by not having to compete with The Rangers?

Waxy
28-05-2015, 10:12 AM
I find it quite disheartening to read so many Hibs fans claiming that don't want to play a game against a local club from a higher league or even (on other threads) against The Rangers because - apparently - we can't compete and we might get beat. Eh?

PeeJay
28-05-2015, 10:39 AM
That's not what "so many Hibs fans" are claiming at all.

Many Hibs supporters are just not interested in such a meaningless, boring, and pointless fixture (Festival Cup). It's not because - apparently - "we can't compete and we might get beat".

The issue of competing against The Rangers (possibly) over a whole season in The Championship is a different kettle of fish entirely. It's not that Hibs "can't compete" with them over a season. Nobody, as far as I'm aware has said that at all (just you), although I don't read through every post on every thread!

However, it's a simple fact that if Hibs are to be guarantee promotion next season, i.e. win the Championship outright, and not come up via the dangerous route of the play-offs, then surely Hibs chances of doing that are enhanced by not having to compete with The Rangers?

Well, fair point, certainly in the normal run of things it would be a "pointless fixture", as you say, but in the situation we are in, it is the only real opportunity (unless we meet them in the cup, I guess) of playing in a derby next year: is that really pointless?

Your final sentence seems to confirm what I claimed ... I did say it disheartens "ME", if you're happy with the situation as you present it, fine.

PeeJay
28-05-2015, 10:40 AM
Eh?
Eh?

Spike Mandela
28-05-2015, 10:42 AM
All friendlies and testimonials are ****. It's one of nature's laws.

Bad Martini
28-05-2015, 11:19 AM

Thats not why I said it was a waste of time. And I Dont think we'd get beat.

I said it was a waste of time because it was before and I can't see why it wouldnt be again.

Consider:

1) We put out best team....they get injured/hacked/etc - we lose out for what is far more important to us i.e. the upcoming season
2) We put out a weaker side...who gives a toss? Nobody cares, nothing at stake.

Thus, its lose/lose.

And, also consider; would anyone even entertain this idea IF we had been promoted as we'd already be playing the merricks thrice and possibly four times anyways!?

So, why reintroudce it now after all these years? If its competitive with first team players, its risky (and be honets, a game against the merricks will be more charged than a "friendly" against ANYONE else). If its less competitive with fringe players, why bother???

So, NOTHING to do with thinking the merricks will beat us. I say we had the better of them this last season (ironically!) - everything to do with wanting promotion by coming first in this league and NOTHING else matters frankly, including that cup!

Err, ENDOF (for me) :agree:

LaMotta
28-05-2015, 11:32 AM
There was 13,500 hibs fans there at the weekend. Even if there was only 5,000 fans there for the festival cup, if the proceeds went to charity then I think its still a good idea.

5000 wouldn't be a good turnout though as you suggested.

I would rather give 15 quid to charity than attend such a pointless fixture.

HappyHibby93
28-05-2015, 12:27 PM
For anyone how was at these two games, did they have the same edge?

JohnM1875
28-05-2015, 12:52 PM
I think the fixture would be lose lose. We pump hearts and you get all the "you're still a championship wee team" then we run the risk of getting beat off them and getting ripped for that anyway. Only positive would be gate receipts but surely we should just be focusing on winning the league and forget about those bulbs across the town.

HFC 0-7
28-05-2015, 01:04 PM
5000 wouldn't be a good turnout though as you suggested.

I would rather give 15 quid to charity than attend such a pointless fixture.

5000 punters paying money to watch a derby that could be made fun by having legends playing, even lucky fans getting to put on the strip and getting a 15 min run out. Hibs are a community club and even if there was a turnout of around 5000 fans with proceeds to charity and getting some media exposure would be a good thing IMO. Every season we play friendlies against team from lower divisions, are they all pointless as well?

Broken Gnome
28-05-2015, 01:16 PM
For anyone how was at these two games, did they have the same edge?

You could get away with murder in the first one. Took a minor brawl for anyone to get a card.

Second - no one gave a damn about it from what I can remember.

PeeJay
28-05-2015, 01:16 PM
Thats not why I said it was a waste of time. And I Dont think we'd get beat.

I said it was a waste of time because it was before and I can't see why it wouldnt be again.
:agree:

Well, what you actually said was: "Went to one of these, we lost, nuff said. Pish. Keep it where it is. In the bucket." Nowhere did you mention getting injured, perhaps wasting time or being diverted from a higher purpose - that came afterwards and your points there are all perfectly valid, I guess.

I feel from a fans' point of view it could provide a highlight in what may well otherwise be a season of boring games against Championship outfits. FWIW I used to go to the old EoS Shield games: they were in effect "pointless" too, but despite that always a good opportunity to play the local rivals and (in my day) beat them more often than not) .... back in "my day" we'd welcome any opportunity to play and beat them ... we seem to want to be more keen on hiding from teams and situations now ...

southsider
28-05-2015, 01:38 PM
Its a NO from me. Friendly down in England or even Ireland where we can have a jolly.

LaMotta
28-05-2015, 04:04 PM
5000 punters paying money to watch a derby that could be made fun by having legends playing, even lucky fans getting to put on the strip and getting a 15 min run out. Hibs are a community club and even if there was a turnout of around 5000 fans with proceeds to charity and getting some media exposure would be a good thing IMO. Every season we play friendlies against team from lower divisions, are they all pointless as well?

I think you are flogging a dead horse here. The flaw in the concept is that very few people will get excited by the notion of a friendly derby.

There are plenty of other teams we could play, that would be more likely to catch the imagination. As someone mentioned earlier, a game vs an English Premiership team would be far more appealing.

emerald green
28-05-2015, 06:08 PM
Well, fair point, certainly in the normal run of things it would be a "pointless fixture", as you say, but in the situation we are in, it is the only real opportunity (unless we meet them in the cup, I guess) of playing in a derby next year: is that really pointless?

Your final sentence seems to confirm what I claimed ... I did say it disheartens "ME", if you're happy with the situation as you present it, fine.

Yes, I personally feel it's pointless. Hibs need to concentrate on meaningful fixtures. I believe teams already play too many fixtures in a season. We don't want / need any players picking up injuries in matches like this. That's just my opinion though for what it's worth. I realise not everyone will share my opinion.

Just to be clear, I'm not happy in the slightest that Hibs are even in this lower league. My point is simply this. I believe it will be that bit less difficult to get out of the Championship next season (preferably as outright winners) if Hibs don't have to compete with The Rangers. That's not the same as saying Hibs cannot compete with them.

HappyHibby93
29-05-2015, 12:42 AM
Would rather stubbsy set us up with a wee friendly at goodison park

QMU-1875
29-05-2015, 08:32 AM
I don't think playing Hearts is the way to do it, but there's definitely some mileage in having a couple of teams from abroad over for a tournament around Festival time.

Have always felt this was a no brainer! 4 team mini league pre season tournament with some big European sides coming over. Surely with the training facilities we have it would benefit the clubs coming over as well! Fans would also get to come over to Edinburgh for the festival.

The Green Goblin
31-05-2015, 03:33 AM
I would miss this fixture like a hole in the head. It's a long season, and Hibs will have far more important fixtures to focus on.

Hibs don't need distractions like this. Imagine a key player picking up an injury in a non event like this.

Sums it up for me...

Pretty Boy
31-05-2015, 09:05 AM
Have always felt this was a no brainer! 4 team mini league pre season tournament with some big European sides coming over. Surely with the training facilities we have it would benefit the clubs coming over as well! Fans would also get to come over to Edinburgh for the festival.

I've said for years a tournament comprising teams from Edinburghs twin and partner cities along with us and Hearts would be a great idea.

Munich
Florence
Kiev
Aalborg
Krakow
Nice

Are the European ones and every one has at least one football team of note. Sadly with the money on offer for even mediocre teams to go and play in North America, Asia or Australia and New Zealand in pre season I think the ship may have sailed.