PDA

View Full Version : Fifa

mikewynne
27-05-2015, 05:13 AM
Looks like a few FIFA executives are finally going down! :)

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/05/27/sports/soccer/fifa-officials-face-corruption-charges-in-us.html?_r=0&referrer=

GreenLake
27-05-2015, 05:40 AM
Blatter won't be one of them I somehow suspect.

Barney McGrew
27-05-2015, 05:56 AM

Looks like he isn't.

Eduardo Li from Costa Rica is one of the first names being mentioned.

IanM
27-05-2015, 06:01 AM
Looks like he isn't.

Eduardo Li from Costa Rica is one of the first names being mentioned.

6 arrested, let's hope Craig Thomson is one of them. Not on corruption charges, just for being a hearts ****

bighairyfaeleith
27-05-2015, 06:58 AM

No but the investigation is still ongoing and Blatter is being investigated.

lucky
27-05-2015, 07:09 AM
Some media outlets are saying the FBI are hoping to get the 6 to talk so that they can get Blatter. But surely now he can't win the vote to remain head of FIFA

blackpoolhibs
27-05-2015, 07:33 AM
Some media outlets are saying the FBI are hoping to get the 6 to talk so that they can get Blatter. But surely now he can't win the vote to remain head of FIFA

He will probably resign and take up a position at the SFA.

Colr
27-05-2015, 07:55 AM

Europe and South America should threaten to quit FIFA. The tail of little corrupt tinpot footballing countries wags the dog in fifa, Blatter just plays the game and gives them a few brown envelops of pays for some dubious "development" project run by friends and family of the delegates to get their vote.

Colr
27-05-2015, 07:55 AM

What's the betting that he can?

HappyAsHellas
27-05-2015, 08:00 AM
I'm not familiar with the voting process for FIFA but when Figo said he was dropping out it was because the election wasn't a standard voting process, but a means to make sure one man couldn't lose. Wonder who that man is?

cabbageandribs1875
27-05-2015, 09:07 AM
i hope they have a raid planned for the SFA HQ as well

the office shredders will be getting overworked today

snooky
27-05-2015, 09:52 AM
They'll probably find that there's SFA evidence to convict anybody. :wink:

jacomo
27-05-2015, 09:56 AM

FIFA spokesman says 'it's nothing to do with Blatter'.

Aye, except that he's been the man in charge of this corrupt organisation all along! Do you think a Mafia boss would get away with the same defence?

emerald green
27-05-2015, 10:00 AM

Aye, except that he's been the man in charge of this corrupt organisation all along! Do you think a Mafia boss would get away with the same defence?

Yes, probably. It's usually the foot soldiers who take the rap. It's more difficult to pin it on the boss.

NAE NOOKIE
27-05-2015, 10:15 AM
FIFA appointed New York lawyer Michael Garcia to write a report into corruption and then refused to publish it .. nuff said. It looks like the FBI have got hold of a copy :greengrin

Apparently these arrests have nothing to do with the Russian or Qatar bids ..... Once the ones who have been arrested start singing to cover their own ass who knows what will come out, this could hopefully be the death knell for an organisation which has become a byword for corruption :aok: They even make the IOC look honest.

Hiber-nation
27-05-2015, 01:05 PM
About bloody time. Sounds like this is top level stuff.

lord bunberry
28-05-2015, 02:00 AM

:agree:How can a man who's been in charge when all this has been going remain in his position? He either knew about, which makes him complicit or he didn't know, which makes him incompetent.

Gatecrasher
28-05-2015, 05:49 AM
:agree:How can a man who's been in charge when all this has been going remain in his position? He either knew about, which makes him complicit or he didn't know, which makes him incompetent.
Exactly, someone from fifa was on the news saying Blatter didn't know about it so why should he resign. I really hope associations start threatening to boycott them until they sort Fifa out.

RyeSloan
28-05-2015, 07:11 AM
Exactly, someone from fifa was on the news saying Blatter didn't know about it so why should he resign. I really hope associations start threatening to boycott them until they sort Fifa out.

It's amazing what some will do to cling to power...shoes how much leverage Blatter has that he has not had to walk already.

While many have thought it before surely despite everything this is the end of Blatter and hopefully the start of FIFA being normalised. Quite how Blatter has made it this far is a bit of a mystery but clearly the power of brown envelopes is not one to be underestimated!

Bostonhibby
28-05-2015, 07:49 AM
King out Blatter in. He will be an even better "the rangers man" if he manages to dodge the bullets coming his way when the others cut their deals with the fbi.

liamh2202
28-05-2015, 08:08 AM
Can you run a football league without conforming to fifa?? Now would be a perfect time for a league to lead the way and take football on.

greenginger
28-05-2015, 08:14 AM
You've got to love the name of the Yank who got caught and turned States Evidence.

Chuck Blazer ! :greengrin

Keith_M
28-05-2015, 09:04 AM
You've got to love the name of the Yank who got caught and turned States Evidence.

Nearly as good as the Attorney General, Lorreta Lynch,....whose name kinda suggests they've already decided on the punishment.

:greengrin

Oh and has anybody seen Blatter recently or has he already dissapeared to a friendly Gulf Nation that doesn't have any extradition treaties?

PeeJay
28-05-2015, 09:15 AM
Can you run a football league without conforming to fifa?? Now would be a perfect time for a league to lead the way and take football on.

I doubt you could simply bypass the governing body? If you could however, WHO should do it? The SFA perhaps, or the EFA or Germany's DFB - you don't think that corruption is rife in these organisations?

lord bunberry
28-05-2015, 09:22 AM

I was watching TV last night and apparently Chuck was renting an apartment in Trump Tower at great expense for his cats. :faf:

CockneyRebel
28-05-2015, 09:41 AM
It's amazing what some will do to cling to power...shoes how much leverage Blatter has that he has not had to walk already.

While many have thought it before surely despite everything this is the end of Blatter and hopefully the start of FIFA being normalised. Quite how Blatter has made it this far is a bit of a mystery but clearly the power of brown envelopes is not one to be underestimated!

He's been untouchable for so long throughout so much wrongdoing he must have a lot of "insurance" tucked away somewhere safe. If he's not part of the corrupt shenanigans then he must be deaf, dumb and blind (as well as stupid and naive). How come an organisation as multinational as this one be so bullet proof against outside scrutiny?

Mikey09
28-05-2015, 09:50 AM
I doubt you could simply bypass the governing body? If you could however, WHO should do it? The SFA perhaps, or the EFA or Germany's DFB - you don't think that corruption is rife in these organisations?

Have to agree with you PeeJay... First time for everything eh!!! :greengrin
Wherever there is **** loads of money, temptation will always be there for corruption... Although I think FIFA have kicked the arse out of the phrase "corrupt organisation"!!!! Taken it to a new level.

Mikey09
28-05-2015, 09:58 AM
He's been untouchable for so long throughout so much wrongdoing he must have a lot of "insurance" tucked away somewhere safe. If he's not part of the corrupt shenanigans then he must be deaf, dumb and blind (as well as stupid and naive). How come an organisation as multinational as this one be so bullet proof against outside scrutiny?

This is what happens when organisations like them are answerable to nobody. But what will happen? Same as usual... A few will take the rap and Blatter will be voted back into power tomorrow as he doles out the dosh. So does anyone blame the poorer nations for taking what they're given and voting him back in??

liamh2202
28-05-2015, 10:01 AM

No I don't actually.. listening to the commons debate at the minute it seems a possibility that uefa might bypass fifa and get its members to hold an alternative tournament to the next world cup

CockneyRebel
28-05-2015, 10:12 AM
No I don't actually.. listening to the commons debate at the minute it seems a possibility that uefa might bypass fifa and get its members to hold an alternative tournament to the next world cup

Now we're talking - someone or some organisation has to make a stand or nothing much will change.

Spike Mandela
28-05-2015, 10:40 AM
Still think the British (English) medias concern and interest in FIFA corruption start and stops with the fact 'the scoundrels didn't award the World Cup staging to England'.

PeeJay
28-05-2015, 10:43 AM
Have to agree with you PeeJay... First time for everything eh!!! :greengrin
Wherever there is **** loads of money, temptation will always be there for corruption... Although I think FIFA have kicked the arse out of the phrase "corrupt organisation"!!!! Taken it to a new level.

Enjoy it while the moment lasts! :greengrin

Seems that well-known Russian anti-corruption activist - Putin - has now declared that Blätter is on no account corrupt and it's all a conspiracy and it's really the Americans who are to blame ...

BTW ... how does "arse" get through the swear filter?

J-C
28-05-2015, 10:47 AM
Still think the British (English) medias concern and interest in FIFA corruption start and stops with the fact 'the scoundrels didn't award the World Cup staging to England'.

And quite rightly too considering they thought they'd done enough to get the gig, only to lose out to Qatar and we are all aware how popular that decision has been.

JimBHibees
28-05-2015, 10:48 AM
And quite rightly too considering they thought they'd done enough to get the gig, only to lose out to Qatar and we are all aware how popular that decision has been.

They lost out to Russia not Qatar

Spike Mandela
28-05-2015, 10:49 AM

England weren't in running for 2022. Only 2018.

JimBHibees
28-05-2015, 10:49 AM
He will probably resign and take up a position at the SFA.

Would be a cert to pass the Fit and Proper test. :greengrin

J-C
28-05-2015, 10:53 AM
England weren't in running for 2022. Only 2018.

Who got that one Russia?

There was obviously a lot of rumblings going on around both world cups, hence why the press over here started delving in, it's obvious it's been ongoing for many years now, when people start making mistakes gaps open up.

Spike Mandela
28-05-2015, 11:10 AM
Who got that one Russia?

There was obviously a lot of rumblings going on around both world cups, hence why the press over here started delving in, it's obvious it's been ongoing for many years now, when people start making mistakes gaps open up.

.......and of course nobody British would be involved in an such a sordid business. Purely a Johnny Foreigner affair.

J-C
28-05-2015, 11:14 AM
.......and of course nobody British would be involved in an such a sordid business. Purely a Johnny Foreigner affair.

Well at the moment it does look that way, until it all comes out we have to suspect it is all the foreign delegates who are corrupt, the US attourney that did his investigation didn't point any fingers towards our nations but he did towards the 2 countries that won both respective bids, Russia and Qatar.

Spike Mandela
28-05-2015, 11:22 AM
Well at the moment it does look that way, until it all comes out we have to suspect it is all the foreign delegates who are corrupt, the US attourney that did his investigation didn't point any fingers towards our nations but he did towards the 2 countries that won both respective bids, Russia and Qatar.

Whilst not happy that Russia got awarded the World Cup I would be suspicious of U.S.pronouncements on Russia and vice versa on purely political grounds.

Even with many people's disquiet abou Blatter I do agree with his vision of promoting football globally and in areas of the world that would benefit from inspiration of a important world event like the World cup. I am fed up of the World Cup bouncing around the usual suspects of Germany, Italy and England.

liamh2202
28-05-2015, 11:26 AM
Whilst not happy that Russia got awarded the World Cup I would be suspicious of U.S.pronouncements on Russia and vice versa on purely political grounds.

Even with many people's disquiet abou Blatter I do agree with his vision of promoting football globally and in areas of the world that would benefit from inspiration of a important world event like the World cup. I am fed up of the World Cup bouncing around the usual suspects of Germany, Italy and England.

I would rather see it go to countries that are accessible to fans, and countries who can create and indeed get the benefit from the infrastructure.. the Qatar situation is unbelievable. With migrant workers dying everyday and who do you actually think will benefit except the government??

Keith_M
28-05-2015, 11:34 AM

South Africa doesn't seem to have benefited out of it and I can't really see any benefit in having the World Cup in Qatar. US Football might have benefited, though, from the exposure given to the World Cup at the time.

The only people who definitely gain from World Cups seem to be FIFA and their corrupt members.

J-C
28-05-2015, 11:36 AM
South Africa doesn't seem to have benefited out of it and I can't really see any benefit in having the World Cup in Qatar. US Football might have benefited, though, from the exposure given to the World Cup at the time.

The only people who definitely gain from World Cups seem to be FIFA and their corrupt members.

I think I heard on the news yesterday there are question marks over the SA bid for the world cup too, not surprising.

Spike Mandela
28-05-2015, 11:36 AM
I would rather see it go to countries that are accessible to fans, and countries who can create and indeed get the benefit from the infrastructure.. the Qatar situation is unbelievable. With migrant workers dying everyday and who do you actually think will benefit except the government??

Of course it will be accessible to fans in other Middle east countries. It is time an Arab country held the 'World' cup, no?

Keith_M
28-05-2015, 11:38 AM
I think I heard on the news yesterday there are question marks over the SA bid for the world cup too, not surprising.

:agree:

Yep, wouldn't exactly be a big surprise now to find evidence of dodgy dealings at any of the World Cup awards.

liamh2202
28-05-2015, 11:40 AM
Of course it will be accessible to fans in other Middle east countries. It is time an Arab country held the 'World' cup, no?

No I dont think it is.. I think it would be time if they developed their domestic game and proved that they deserved the tournament and would make use of the infrastructure. I don't think it should go there just because it hasn't been played in an Arab country before..

I would also go as far as saying that you should have qualified for a relatively recent tournament before being allowed to host it.. It should be accessible for fans who want to follow their own team not just corporate people who want to see a football tournament

Gatecrasher
28-05-2015, 11:41 AM

Can they put one on during the traditional world cup slot and not use bribery and slaves?

Keith_M
28-05-2015, 11:43 AM
Can they put one on during the traditional world cup slot and not use bribery and slaves?

Or manage to play the tournament at a time that doesn't mean most of the World's Domestic Competitions having to be re-organised, due to the fact that it's too hot in Summer to actually play Football.

CockneyRebel
28-05-2015, 11:44 AM

The British press in general (which includes all home countries) have made many investigations into FIFA activities over many years, starting from well before the events your post refers to. They were triggered by a variety of suspect activities covering a wide number of countries and topics. The interest has increased because much more evidence has begun to seep out (and be seen to be whitewashed). You should always try to see the bigger picture rather than zoom in on your own agenda.
As for the highlighted words from your post I personally can remember articles from the early 70's attacking FIFA procedures and it hasn't stopped yet.

Spike Mandela
28-05-2015, 11:45 AM
The

African football is flourishing and I think it is only a mayter of time until an African country wins the World cup or at least reaches the Final. Africa was long overdue a world cup and with the relatively recent seismic changes in South Africa, not to mention the successful Rugby world cup held there , it seemed a positive decision.

Any alleged FIFA corruption is one thing and deserves investigation and highlighting but the policy of taking the major football tournament to different and challenging areas of the world should not be changed imo.

liamh2202
28-05-2015, 11:48 AM
African football is flourishing and I think it is only a mayter of time until an African country wins the World cup or at least reaches the Final. Africa was long overdue a world cup and with the relatively recent seismic changes in South Africa, not to mention the successful Rugby world cup held there , it seemed a positive decision.

Any alleged FIFA corruption is one thing and deserves investigation and highlighting but the policy of taken the major football tournament to different and challenging areas of the world should not be changed imo.

At least Africa have a football setup to speak of (acon etc) the same cannot be Said of Qatar

blackpoolhibs
28-05-2015, 11:51 AM

To be fair to them, they did not spend enough on bribes. Every country that has bid for the games gives out bribes or as they probably like to call them gifts.

England's gifts were not good enough.

J-C
28-05-2015, 11:51 AM
If they want to expand the game then Australia/Japan would've been a perfect place to go, England do deserve to hold it again, almost 50 years since it's been on these shores and although I'm a proud Scot, having massive games just down the road would be great to go and see.

Spike Mandela
28-05-2015, 12:00 PM
At least Africa have a football setup to speak of (acon etc) the same cannot be Said of Qatar

This is the point though liam. FIFA should be about promoting football in ALL parts of the world. Qatar may be an unpopular choice but It just might kick start the evolution of football in this area.

There are of course footballing countries in this part of the world but awarding the event to say Iraq, Iran, Egypt or Saudi Arabia would bring a whole heap of different problems, issues and controversies that would be unpalatable to most people.

Whilst FIFA is mired in all this scandal and controversy it easily forgotten that it is a sporting institution like the IOC that should cross all borders and transcend politics and be all about furthering sporting endeavour.

Not above the law though of course.

CockneyRebel
28-05-2015, 12:07 PM

Because one of those three always get it eh?
IMO Blatter only promotes himself not football. He chases votes from the smaller or emerging nations by spreading the word of his "vision" so that he keep his job (the job he promised all those that voted for him last time that he wouldn't stand for again - and then he did - what a great and noble man to have in charge of world football).
I am all for the WC finals reaching into new countries but not before they are ready or deserving (ready/deserving means having a country that is at least interested in football enough to have some infrastructure and league activity in place prior to lobbying to be the home country) and the disruption to world football that will be caused by holding it in Qatar is truly horrendous.

CockneyRebel
28-05-2015, 12:09 PM
This is the point though liam. FIFA should be about promoting football in ALL parts of the world. Qatar may be an unpopular choice but It just might kick start the evolution of football in this area.

There are of course footballing countries in this part of the world but awarding the event to say Iraq, Iran, Egypt or Saudi Arabia would bring a whole heap of different problems, issues and controversies that would be unpalatable to most people.

Whilst FIFA is mired in all this scandal and controversy it easily forgotten that it is a sporting institution like the IOC that should cross all borders and transcend politics and be all about furthering sporting endeavour.

It needs to get back to being exactly that - not a jolly boys club.

liamh2202
28-05-2015, 12:09 PM

I do think they should promote world football. But I don't think taking the world cup to places where it is yet to develop is the right Way to do things imo

liamh2202
28-05-2015, 12:10 PM
Because one of those three always get it eh?
IMO Blatter only promotes himself not football. He chases votes from the smaller or emerging nations by spreading the word of his "vision" so that he keep his job (the job he promised all those that voted for him last time that he wouldn't stand for again - and then he did - what a great and noble man to have in charge of world football).
I am all for the WC finals reaching into new countries but not before they are ready or deserving (ready/deserving means having a country that is at least interested in football enough to have some infrastructure and league activity in place prior to lobbying to be the home country) and the disruption to world football that will be caused by holding it in Qatar is truly horrendous.

Agree 👍

Spike Mandela
28-05-2015, 12:11 PM
If they want to expand the game then Australia/Japan would've been a perfect place to go, England do deserve to hold it again, almost 50 years since it's been on these shores and although I'm a proud Scot, having massive games just down the road would be great to go and see.

This is the problem in my eyes though JC. We see the world with a very narrow European vision and the fact it would be held 'just down the road'

There are approx 200 countries in the world and since 1930 only 15 of these have hosted a World Cup. The notion that any country should host it for a second time in such a short period should be seen as ridiculous and indeed corrupt in this day and age.

Of course many small nations couldn't afford to host said event but more should be done to consider joint bids, indeed it's a pity Qatar couldn't have been some sort of joint Arab bid. Surely we have to break the cartel of the usual European and South American nations though.

Aldoo
28-05-2015, 12:12 PM

Ok but if FIFAs honest intention all along was to broaden footballs reach and promote football in all areas of the world then why let the likes of USA/Japan/Australia waste all that time and money on bids if it was always the intention of FIFA to take it to a country like Qatar??

Spike Mandela
28-05-2015, 12:15 PM
It needs to get back to being exactly that - not a jolly boys club.

:agree: I agree.

CockneyRebel
28-05-2015, 12:15 PM
Ok but if FIFAs honest intention all along was to broaden footballs reach and promote football in all areas of the world then why let the likes of USA/Japan/Australia waste all that time and money on bids if it was always the intention of FIFA to take it to a country like Qatar??

They wouldn't have got their prezzies.

Future17
28-05-2015, 12:17 PM
The English FA was accused of using enticements outside the bidding process to try and secure votes for their 2018 bid. They are in no position to be throwing stones on this issue.

Spike Mandela
28-05-2015, 12:19 PM

I don't know. I am not defending FIFA delegates choices but rather the notion of taking the tournaments into areas of the world other than Germany, Italy, France, England, Mexico and Brazil again.

harpo
28-05-2015, 12:22 PM

Greg Dyke and watches springs to mind.....

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/apr/07/greg-dyke-fa-return-watch-fifa-brazilian-football-federation

CockneyRebel
28-05-2015, 12:25 PM
I don't know. I am not defending FIFA delegates choices but rather the notion of taking the tournaments into areas of the world other than Germany, Italy, France, England, Mexico and Brazil again.

It is the delegates (most of them led by nose by Blatter) that decide the venues and the corruption amongst them seems widespread (I include any delegate from any country that gives gifts/bribes/inducements). The whole institution needs fumigating from top to bottom. Blatter out and a new leader and a fresh start with total transparency of procedures.

Spike Mandela
28-05-2015, 12:32 PM
It is the delegates (most of them led by nose by Blatter) that decide the venues and the corruption amongst them seems widespread (I include any delegate from any country that gives gifts/bribes/inducements). The whole institution needs fumigating from top to bottom. Blatter out and a new leader and a fresh start with total transparency of procedures.

Certainly looks like that will happen now, hopefully.

Keith_M
28-05-2015, 01:08 PM
If they want to expand the game then Australia/Japan would've been a perfect place to go.....

Ahem, 2002 World Cup, Japan and South Korea.

Keith_M
28-05-2015, 01:09 PM
Certainly looks like that will happen now, hopefully.

If they manage to get rid of Blatter, I'd like to see Figo throw his back into the ring.

J-C
28-05-2015, 01:13 PM

forgot about that, thought it was only korea :greengrin

Keith_M
28-05-2015, 01:19 PM
forgot about that, thought it was only korea :greengrin

Senility, J-C, it's nae fun is it....

J-C
28-05-2015, 01:22 PM
Senility, J-C, it's nae fun is it....

What's nae fun, and who are you and where am I :greengrin

snooky
28-05-2015, 01:35 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-32913653

"Good to see our government stand up against corruption. Thank God I live in a country free of that sort of thing." - Behan Ostrich

:whistle:

Keith_M
28-05-2015, 01:39 PM
What's nae fun, and who are you and where am I :greengrin

Who said that?

Brightside
28-05-2015, 01:42 PM

and Oz even though its massive in size has a small population.

It should be in India, China, Pakistan, Indonesia, Nigeria etc. Oz has only 23m people. Its tiny.

liamh2202
28-05-2015, 01:43 PM

It should be in India, China, Pakistan, Indonesia, Nigeria etc. Oz has only 23m people. Its tiny.

Yeh all those football powerhouses....

Gus
28-05-2015, 02:03 PM

Countries with the infrastructure and Stadia in place should only be considered imo. Brazil bankrupted themselves to hold the world cup & some of their stadium has only just been finished.

America, Germany, Italy, Mexico, France have all held it. I think England would be worthy hosts. Everything in place plus not had it in 49 years (to date)

Brightside
28-05-2015, 02:15 PM
Yeh all those football powerhouses....

You are missing the point of the World Cup..... its about expanding the game. ergo enhancing its popularity in the heaviest populated areas is the way to do that. BTW China would rip Scotland a new one.

Yo dont just aim to play it in the countries that are currently good at it!

liamh2202
28-05-2015, 02:35 PM
You are missing the point of the World Cup..... its about expanding the game. ergo enhancing its popularity in the heaviest populated areas is the way to do that. BTW China would rip Scotland a new one.

No the aim is to find out the best team in the world. Not line the pockets of some corrupt government, I have never claimed Scotland should host it but I do feel it should be countries who are likely to qualify

CmoantheHibs
28-05-2015, 02:40 PM
If they manage to get rid of Blatter, I'd like to see Figo throw his back into the ring.

Ouch.He could do himself an injury doing something like that.He would be safer just throwing his hat in.:wink:

Keith_M
28-05-2015, 02:42 PM

I totally understand the sentiment of that but many countries mentioned would be made bankrupt by hosting the World Cup. Not only do they require billions spent on Stadia but a lot of them would also need large amounts for Transport Infrastructure, Hotels, etc.

China obviously wouldn't have the same issues but I'm not sure how they would feel about thousands of foreign nationals being allowed to wander around their country. Maybe I'm wrong, as I have never been there, but they do seem a bit suspicious of foreigners.

Brightside
28-05-2015, 02:51 PM
No the aim is to find out the best team in the world. Not line the pockets of some corrupt government, I have never claimed Scotland should host it but I do feel it should be countries who are likely to qualify

No it is not. Thats a very old fashioned notion of the world cup. Its a promotion of football. There is still half the planet that could be playing football. Its why they went to the states a few years back to try and kick start interest. Now its the biggest sport at school level outside American Football. 20 Years ago we'd have mullered USA at Football. Now? Doubt it very much.

The Champions League's purpose is to find the best team (UEFA)

Brightside
28-05-2015, 02:54 PM
I totally understand the sentiment of that but many countries mentioned would be made bankrupt by hosting the World Cup. Not only do they require billions spent on Stadia but a lot of them would also need large amounts for Transport Infrastructure, Hotels, etc.

China obviously wouldn't have the same issues but I'm not sure how they would feel about thousands of foreign nationals being allowed to wander around their country. Maybe I'm wrong, as I have never been there, but they do seem a bit suspicious of foreigners.

Haha. I like that last bit.

I'd expect the Phillipines to be a port of call soon for the World Cup.

liamh2202
28-05-2015, 02:54 PM
No it is not. Thats a very old fashioned notion of the world cup. Its a promotion of football. There is still half the planet that could be playing football. Its why they went to the states a few years back to try and kick start interest. Now its the biggest sport at school level outside American Football. 20 Years ago we'd have mullered USA at Football. Now? Doubt it very much.

The Champions League's purpose is to find the best team (UEFA)

I disagree. As for it being old fashioned,, I'm 28 hardly one of the old guard and that is my view what the world cup should be about. The pinnacle of football at national level. Playing for your country has nothing to do with the champions league

Brightside
28-05-2015, 03:01 PM
I disagree. As for it being old fashioned,, I'm 28 hardly one of the old guard and that is my view what the world cup should be about. The pinnacle of football at national level. Playing for your country has nothing to do with the champions league

The job of FIFA is to promote football to the world. By default the world cup is generally won by the best team in the world. But the sport wont get any bigger if you only allow the top 16 in the Fifa list to take part every year. Thats why they split it into different reqions and thats why they take it to different countries.

liamh2202
28-05-2015, 03:04 PM
The job of FIFA is to promote football to the world. By default the world cup is generally won by the best team in the world. But the sport wont get any bigger if you only allow the top 16 in the Fifa list to take part every year. Thats why they split it into different reqions and thats why they take it to different countries.

Is the job of fifa not primarily to govern the game?? Its a bit like saying the sfa should play the Scottish cup final in a region of the country that football is at its least popular to promote it? No matter how wastefully a new stadium would be or how equipped the area is to host the event

liamh2202
28-05-2015, 03:06 PM
We complain about two Edinburgh teams playing a final at hampden but you suggest it's fine for fans to have to travel to a country where it is a nightmare to get there and they are in no way equipped to cater for them,,,, never mind the fact that their team is only there for non footballing reasons

jacomo
28-05-2015, 03:09 PM

China are awful at football.

I'm sure they will improve, but progress is slow!

Brightside
28-05-2015, 03:21 PM
We complain about two Edinburgh teams playing a final at hampden but you suggest it's fine for fans to have to travel to a country where it is a nightmare to get there and they are in no way equipped to cater for them,,,, never mind the fact that their team is only there for non footballing reasons

Thats far too insular for a world cup. Brazil is also too far away from most people. Japan also too far away. Should they never be allowed to stage a world cup coz you dont fancy the journey? Is that not why we have the Euros, Concaf etc??

Brightside
28-05-2015, 03:22 PM
Is the job of fifa not primarily to govern the game?? Its a bit like saying the sfa should play the Scottish cup final in a region of the country that football is at its least popular to promote it? No matter how wastefully a new stadium would be or how equipped the area is to host the event

scotland is a tiny wee country...its not comparing apples.

Nazz
28-05-2015, 04:54 PM

China and FIFA would be the perfect match. Corruption isn't a by-product of the system, it is the system. The Chinese government are investing heavily in improving football skills from an early age and aim to host the World Cup, sooner rather than later. You can be sure no expense will be spared to make it happen.

overdrive
28-05-2015, 07:23 PM

They didn't seem too bothered at the Olympics to have foreigners around.

HIBERNIAN-0762
28-05-2015, 09:03 PM
He won't give up his 5 star luxury lifestyle I don't think.

Baader
29-05-2015, 12:15 AM
Disgusting organisation - hopefully it all implodes now and the crooks who have tarnished and defrauded the game and besmirched its repuatation are afforded swift justice.

Blatter has gotten away with it for so long. Hopefully not any more.

Qatar has a smaller population than Ireland. Can anyone ever imagine Ireland being granted a World Cup? Just wouldn't happen. Yet the Qataris manage a successful bid without one stadium in place? Absolutely stinks. FIFA should be refunding the cost of all nation's unsuccessful host bids as looks like the decision was made before they even received the bids - once the money transfer was in place...

Let's not kid ourselves on that FIFA took the World Cup to SA to promote football in Africa... Zuma and his corrupt cronies paid Sepp and his corrupt cronies a nice sum to land it, lost the SA economy over £2bn in the process - in a country with serious social problems. FIFA pocketed over £2.5bn from that World Cup.

Shameful.

cabbageandribs1875
29-05-2015, 10:13 AM
blatter has over 100 votes from africa and asia before a vote is even cast, he aint going anywhere

PatHead
29-05-2015, 11:05 AM
Must admit I suspect FIFA is corrupt to the core but I also think that the way that Europe is going about things is getting up the backs of other confederations. I also suspect that there will be a lot of dirty laundry in Geneva and the FA for that matter.

Playing the devil's advocate - England have been going after Sepp Blatter since they didn't get the German World Cup bid as they believe they are entitled to host the World Cup whether other countries want it there or not.

They lost a vote to Russia who have never had a World Cup and could put up a strong case to get one. It doesn't matter how long it is since England held one there are other countries in this part of the world who could stage one. Remember England made an agreement with Germany that they could get one and Germany get the other. That wasn't exactly democratic was it - some might say that smells of corruption.

Recently English FA reneged on an understanding within the Home Nations to make sure their man got onto the Vice Presidency of FIFA. They shat all over the other home nations to get their agenda but this was pretty much ignored by the media. The FA are not the good guys they make out they are. They are bitter losers who amongst other things benefitted the UK government to fund a bid that was for their own benefit and no one elses. The rest of the UK would have got minimal benefit from the tournament.

There was an article on 5 live this morning which was bemoaning the fact that in England there are only 300 odd 3G pitches in Germany I think it is over 1000. A similar ratio applies to the number of qualified coaches in England v Spain. Maybe the FA should start doing their job properly -that is promoting the game properly in their country instead of going after the big trophy which they can wander around being Billy Big Baws.

US are peed off because they did not get the World Cup which was awarded to Qatar. (That does smell by the way but I would rather Australia or another nation had got it as it is a WORLD Cup after all not the express right of US/Europe to decide where it goes). This corruption investigation goes back 20 years. Yes the year after US last hosted the World Cup. Bit of a co-incidence is it not? Corruption was not invented in 1994 and I am sure if you looked at the allocation of the 1994 World Cup and awarding of contracts there would be questions asked and a few arrests.

The bottom line is there appears to be corruption which needs to be sorted, Blatter has run his term and should go but under his leadership football is a far more global game than it was when he arrived and money is getting pumped into Africa and Asia to develop the game. I can understand why these continents/federations are voting for him. The World Cup left Europe and South America and has now been played in Asia and Africa.

Don't just listen to the BBC and the MSM, UEFA and the USA. There are always at least 2 sides to the story and the truth is usually somewhere in the middle.

As for Blatter resigning, did the Prime Minister or Opposition leaders resign after the corruption over expenses in our parliament, how many bankers have been charged in relation to the collapse of the Banking System? We aren't perfect either but propaganda is a dangerous thing.

ronaldo7
29-05-2015, 11:10 AM
FIFA Delegates prepare for the vote.

Gatecrasher
29-05-2015, 11:37 AM
blatter has over 100 votes from africa and asia before a vote is even cast, he aint going anywhere

I hope Uefa follow through with their threat to boycott.

Mark79
29-05-2015, 11:43 AM
Believe there has been a bomb threat at the venue. Have visions of blatter making the call.

Keith_M
29-05-2015, 11:55 AM
Believe there has been a bomb threat at the venue. Have visions of blatter making the call.

Seriously or is that just a joke?

HUTCHYHIBBY
29-05-2015, 12:17 PM
The

I don't see an African nation reaching a World Cup Final anytime soon.

grunt
29-05-2015, 12:47 PM
Interesting.

How Many Ways Can You Hide A Bribe? The Best Of The FIFA Indictment

http://screamer.deadspin.com/how-many-ways-can-you-hide-a-bribe-the-best-of-the-fif-1707221505

Baader
29-05-2015, 12:57 PM
FIFA werent trying to help football in Africa. Money that should have went into footballing infrastructures and programmes for under privilged kids lined the pockets and Swiss Bank accounts of Sepp and his fat cat bureaucrats. The bucks stop with him.

Geo_1875
29-05-2015, 01:38 PM
FIFA werent trying to help football in Africa. Money that should have went into footballing infrastructures and programmes for under privilged kids lined the pockets and Swiss Bank accounts of Sepp and his fat cat bureaucrats. The bucks stop with him.

I think they were genuinely interested in expanding the World Cup into Africa and Asia. It could only increase the big sponsorship deals which FIFA live off. However, both these continents have a culture of graft and bribery which FIFA officials appear to have embraced.

grunt
29-05-2015, 02:18 PM
Here's another thing.
This was news to me, perhaps not to others on here.

http://www.the42.ie/john-delaney-fai-fifa-2132862-May2015/?utm_source=twitter_self

Mark79
29-05-2015, 02:19 PM
Seriously or is that just a joke?

Seriously. According to something i seen on twitter. Ill find it.

Keith_M
29-05-2015, 02:21 PM
South Africa outbid Morrocco in the level of bribes it gave to win the World Cup.

Similarly, England's attempt to out bribe Russia was pathetic (Swiss Watches to all the delegates wives? Pah!).

Any and all 'gifts' to delegates, or their relatives, should be banned.

Keith_M
29-05-2015, 02:23 PM
Seriously. According to something i seen on twitter. Ill find it.

Cheers.

I wasn't sure if you were joking about all of it or just the Blatter part.

Baader
29-05-2015, 02:34 PM
Death toll for workers involved in Qatar's World Cup project currently stands at 1,200. That's one death for every 90 seconds of football that will be played there so far...

greenginger
29-05-2015, 02:36 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/6698887.stm

Remember our FIFA rep. John McBeth calling out the corruption back in 2006.

He got hung out to dry by the English FA so they could get the seat at the table and pull strings to get the World Cup.

Now they moan about the state of the game. The clean up could have started years ago if McBeth had got some backing.

PatHead
29-05-2015, 02:52 PM

One thing that cannot be denied under Blatters presidency is that football has expanded globally so in that respect you are totally wrong. FIFA have been trying to help football in Africa and Asia. Yes there will be bribes but it cannot be denied that football has expanded over the last 20 years in Africa. That does not make the corruption right though.

How do you know that Blatter accepted bribes? (He may have but at this time there is absolutely no proof that he has received any.) Maybe he has just made a good living by involving other nations and federations which has boosted his power and his income, bonuses and the likes.

He has rubbed folk (mainly Europeans) and other members up the wrong way but maybe it is they are worried they will lose their power and ways of making money? Remember Uefa are hanging onto power by a thread as the Big Clubs keep threatening to set up their own arrangements.

This concerted effort by the European and American press to paint Blatter as Dr Evil suits a lot of power crazy people's agendas.

Future17
29-05-2015, 02:56 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/6698887.stm

Remember our FIFA rep. John McBeth calling out the corruption back in 2006.

He got hung out to dry by the English FA so they could get the seat at the table and pull strings to get the World Cup.

Now they moan about the state of the game. The clean up could have started years ago if McBeth had got some backing.

McBeth was right, but his approach to addressing the issue was ill-conceived at best and incompetent at worst. Amongst other stupid things he did, he opened himself up to accusations of racism by Warner as he singled out specific countries or confederations.

In reality, the problem was far more endemic and that was one the reasons he was never going to get any support...from anyone never mind England.

hfc rd
29-05-2015, 03:01 PM
When is the result due?

Baader
29-05-2015, 03:16 PM
One thing that cannot be denied under Blatters presidency is that football has expanded globally so in that respect you are totally wrong. FIFA have been trying to help football in Africa and Asia. Yes there will be bribes but it cannot be denied that football has expanded over the last 20 years in Africa. That does not make the corruption right though.

How do you know that Blatter accepted bribes? (He may have but at this time there is absolutely no proof that he has received any.) Maybe he has just made a good living by involving other nations and federations which has boosted his power and his income, bonuses and the likes.

He has rubbed folk (mainly Europeans) and other members up the wrong way but maybe it is they are worried they will lose their power and ways of making money? Remember Uefa are hanging onto power by a thread as the Big Clubs keep threatening to set up their own arrangements.

This concerted effort by the European and American press to paint Blatter as Dr Evil suits a lot of power crazy people's agendas.

Do you actually think Qatar landed a World Cup on the merit of their bid? There's a lot that will come out over the next few months and SA making payments to Jack Warner is just one of them. I worked on an investigative piece for ESPN on FIFA some years ago and the level of corruption was widespread and common knowledge so long ago - it's good to see them finally taken to task.

Football's stock in Africa has risen but my argument is that it was not FIFAs priority - theirs was to make as much money out of the tournament going there as was possible. Any benefit to football there was purely a side effect. South Africa foot the bill and FIFA (a supposedly non profit organisation) make over £2bn that did not go anywhere near creating a lasting legacy for football in South Africa or the rest of the continent. More continents simply meant more money for them.

AngusHibby
29-05-2015, 03:26 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvMPXwqTMto if blatter wins we can all at least enjoy this clip

jacomo
29-05-2015, 03:38 PM
Do you actually think Qatar landed a World Cup on the merit of their bid? There's a lot that will come out over the next few months and SA making payments to Jack Warner is just one of them. I worked on an investigative piece for ESPN on FIFA some years ago and the level of corruption was widespread and common knowledge so long ago - it's good to see them finally taken to task.

Football's stock in Africa has risen but my argument is that it was not FIFAs priority - theirs was to make as much money out of the tournament going there as was possible. Any benefit to football there was purely a side effect. South Africa foot the bill and FIFA (a supposedly non profit organisation) make over £2bn that did not go anywhere near creating a lasting legacy for football in South Africa or the rest of the continent. More continents simply meant more money for them.

The whole model is bust. FIFA encourages countries to build a whole lot of new stadiums (many become white elephants), then rinse tax free profits out of the country and leaves them to pick up the pieces. It makes no sense - unless decision makers in bid countries have other, er, incentives for pursuing such madness.

I hope Blatter refuses to go because it might just bring down the whole organisation.

Baader
29-05-2015, 03:48 PM
The whole model is bust. FIFA encourages countries to build a whole lot of new stadiums (many become white elephants), then rinse tax free profits out of the country and leaves them to pick up the pieces. It makes no sense - unless decision makers in bid countries have other, er, incentives for pursuing such madness.

I hope Blatter refuses to go because it might just bring down the whole organisation.

They also manage to have governments change laws (mostly financial ones) before bringing their circus to town.

Case in point being Brazil 2014. Blanket ban on alcohol in football stadia that has been in place for over a decade. Cue FIFA who on behalf of one of their sponsors Budweiser say they cannot host the tournament unless alcohol is served - hey presto! Brazil's law is gone. Of course FIFA sponsors pay no tax on their sales in host nations...

FIFA is a registered charity which is overseeing slave labour and a frightening death rate of workers in Qatar. It's a disgrace to football and the sooner those crooks responsible are brought to justice the better.

CropleyWasGod
29-05-2015, 03:57 PM
When is the result due?

Shortly.

If you can watch this, there's some exciting footage of the backs of people casting their votes.:greengrin

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-32930609

PatHead
29-05-2015, 04:16 PM

No I don't think Qatar got the World Cup fairly.

I agree the corruption has existed for a long time and football is all about money nowadays. The same corruption exists in Olympic bids. Doesn't make it right but it is not only football that suffers from this. Correct me if I am wrong but did an Englishman not get arrested for the ticket corruption at the last World Cup? It is not only "foreigners" who are at it.

What cannot be denied though is that football is the major world sport. There have been improvements in Asia and Africa's football infrastructure due in part to FIFA.

What I am trying to get at is the holier than though attitude coming from England and US. They couldn't give a monkeys about developing football worldwide. Look at the FA's record in developing football players in England. With all the infrastructure and money they have they can't even develop the sport in their country for goodness sake . The FA just bow to the Premiership at any opportunity.

They are interested in making money, making themselves more powerful and protecting their own position.

Baader
29-05-2015, 04:24 PM
No I don't think Qatar got the World Cup fairly.

I agree the corruption has existed for a long time and football is all about money nowadays. The same corruption exists in Olympic bids. Doesn't make it right but it is not only football that suffers from this. Correct me if I am wrong but did an Englishman not get arrested for the ticket corruption at the last World Cup? It is not only "foreigners" who are at it.

What cannot be denied though is that football is the major world sport. There have been improvements in Asia and Africa's football infrastructure due in part to FIFA.

What I am trying to get at is the holier than though attitude coming from England and US. They couldn't give a monkeys about developing football worldwide. Look at the FA's record in developing football players in England. With all the infrastructure and money they have they can't even develop the sport in their country for goodness sake . The FA just bow to the Premiership at any opportunity.

They are interested in making money, making themselves more powerful and protecting their own position.

I didn't mention the US or England though. Was discussing FIFA. Sure the FA (and SFA for that matter) have a lot of stuff going on too but was focusing on FIFA. One thing about the FA is at least they do not masquerade as a 'charity.'

Where is the 'holier than thou' stuff from the US incidentally? I haven't seen anything like that. It was their own delegate Blazer who pled guilty and is basically ratting them out so they're involved in it... Looks like Nike will be under the spotlight soon too... Not a very smart move to use American banks for some questionable 'transactions...'

CropleyWasGod
29-05-2015, 05:05 PM
Blatter won the first ballot, but not by enough. 130 odd to 70 odd. Needed 140.

Needs a simple majority in the second ballot.

Hanny
29-05-2015, 05:19 PM
Ali withdraws and concedes to Blatter according to Sky News.

hfc rd
29-05-2015, 05:20 PM
Ali has withdrawn. Blatter now confirmed.

Baader
29-05-2015, 05:21 PM
Ali withdraws and concedes to Blatter according to Sky News.

Yeah Sepp gets the gig as expected. Be interesting to see what happens now...

Not bad for a man who promised not to stand for re-election - his word is his bond!

iwasthere1972
29-05-2015, 05:25 PM

Sponsors withdraw

Bad result. A farce.

Paisley Hibby
29-05-2015, 05:27 PM

Either Eufa will grow a pair and Blatter's fekkked or they just roll over and take it. I know which of those options my Monet would be on :rolleyes:

Thecat23
29-05-2015, 05:27 PM
Utter shambles... Hope everyone boycotts the World Cup..... Except Scotland and we'll win it 😎

Baader
29-05-2015, 05:29 PM
Utter shambles... Hope everyone boycotts the World Cup..... Except Scotland and we'll win it 

We've been boycotting it for 17 years! Moral trailblazers.

hfc rd
29-05-2015, 05:33 PM
Not surprised if the World Cup is to be boycotted.

bingo70
29-05-2015, 05:33 PM
Playing devils advocate here (apologies if it's already been discussed) but does blatter not have a pretty good record for the smaller or less traditional football countries?

Just think over his tenure African football seems to have improved, as has Australian and there's been a few smaller countries at the world cup, he's also shown he's keen to move the world cup to new places.

He's been ***** for European countries but I can see why African, Asian, and central American countries would vote for him.

blackpoolhibs
29-05-2015, 05:35 PM
Playing devils advocate here (apologies if it's already been discussed) but does blatter not have a pretty good record for the smaller or less traditional football countries?

Just think over his tenure African football seems to have improved, as has Australian and there's been a few smaller countries at the world cup, he's also shown he's keen to move the world cup to new places.

He's been ***** for European countries but I can see why African, Asian, and central American countries would vote for him.

He's a modern day Robin Hood. :greengrin

Thecat23
29-05-2015, 05:39 PM

Not sure some of the folk in SA would agree! Didn't they rip up villages leaving many homeless to build stadiums? One of the most corrupt organisations in the world!

EdinMike
29-05-2015, 05:54 PM
A man who has been in charge (and no doubt knew/was part of) corruption and bribery for what 17 years or so.. Aye lets reelect him... Farce !

Eyrie
29-05-2015, 06:33 PM
A man who has been in charge (and no doubt knew/was part of) corruption and bribery for what 17 years or so.. Aye lets reelect him... Farce !

You've got the poor man all wrong. Blatter has been in charge for 17 years or so and was completely oblivious to any suggestion of corruption or bribery until this week.

Jim44
29-05-2015, 07:52 PM
Either Eufa will grow a pair and Blatter's fekkked or they just roll over and take it. I know which of those options my Monet would be on :rolleyes:

If I were you, I wouldn't put my Monet on it ...... maybe my Van Gogh or Picasso. :greengrin

poolman
29-05-2015, 08:01 PM
Fifa = corruption

HappyHanlon
29-05-2015, 08:08 PM
Not sure some of the folk in SA would agree! Didn't they rip up villages leaving many homeless to build stadiums? One of the most corrupt organisations in the world!

Some of which are now sitting derelict :rolleyes:

Anyone who thinks Qatar won the right to host the World Cup is a :doh:

Thecat23
29-05-2015, 08:15 PM
Some of which are now sitting derelict :rolleyes:

Anyone who thinks Qatar won the right to host the World Cup is a :doh:

That's right, overgrown grass and left to rot. As for Qatar I'm still convinced they will change it!

jdships
29-05-2015, 08:33 PM
Sponsors withdraw

Bad result. A farce.

:top marks
Sad day for world football
Speaking with a Senior partner at a City firm of accountants he reckons Visa , Coca Cola and McDonalds will all be reassessing their involvement with FIFA over the next few months

marinello59
29-05-2015, 09:44 PM
Speaking with a Senior partner at a City firm of accountants he reckons Visa , Coca Cola and McDonalds will all be reassessing their involvement with FIFA over the next few months

They will reassess and stay involved as will all the football nations. Nothing will change, money rules.

Sir David Gray
29-05-2015, 09:48 PM
I'll state here and now that there is not a chance that any nation will boycott the next World Cup, as a result of this controversy.

No danger.

snooky
29-05-2015, 09:55 PM
Fifa = corruption

FIFA = F*****d, It's Finally Agreed

greenpaper55
29-05-2015, 09:59 PM
I think it will be hard to pin any fraud onto Blatter but to say that he cannot keep an eye on every countries FIFA dealings is no excuse, he could have kept an eye on at least some but he chose not to so a massive fail on his part. He has built his power base on a basis of one country one vote -for example Gibralter has the same voting rights as Brazil-one vote, divide and conquer is his strategy and until that is changed he could go on until he drops dead !.

CropleyWasGod
29-05-2015, 09:59 PM

The idea that Coca-Cola, of all people, are concerned about ethics is laughable and slightly nauseating.

Jim44
29-05-2015, 10:35 PM
Now that Septic Blatter has shown them who the boss is, will Platini and Regan resign their positions, having threatened to do this and do that, in order to clean up the mess of world football? Or will they just hide under a stone till Blatter says they can show their faces again. Maybe I've pre-judged them and maybe they will carry out their threats.

Colr
29-05-2015, 10:45 PM
He's a modern day Robin Hood. :greengrin

He's football's Robert Mugabe.

Gus
30-05-2015, 12:21 AM
Is there a list published who voted for this cant and who didn't?
Holland, Ireland, England, Scotland, France, Germany defo never, on intrigued to find out who did

pontius pilate
30-05-2015, 06:07 AM
Is there a list published who voted for this cant and who didn't?
Holland, Ireland, England, Scotland, France, Germany defo never, on intrigued to find out who did

You will prob find that it would have been the caf and afc ie the African and Asian football Feds. What surprised me was Argentina not voting for blather so the South American countries as a whole were probably split

jacomo
30-05-2015, 07:43 AM
I think it will be hard to pin any fraud onto Blatter but to say that he cannot keep an eye on every countries FIFA dealings is no excuse, he could have kept an eye on at least some but he chose not to so a massive fail on his part. He has built his power base on a basis of one country one vote -for example Gibralter has the same voting rights as Brazil-one vote, divide and conquer is his strategy and until that is changed he could go on until he drops dead !.

Blatter set up FIFA's 'ethics committee' in response to previous allegations of corruption, then suppressed Michael Garcia's report when it detailed that corruption.

He's allowed a culture of corruption to flourish at FIFA. To say he can now clean it up is laughable.

blackpoolhibs
30-05-2015, 07:49 AM
Blatter set up FIFA's 'ethics committee' in response to previous allegations of corruption, then suppressed Michael Garcia's report when it detailed that corruption.

He's allowed a culture of corruption to flourish at FIFA. To say he can now clean it up is laughable.

:agree: If he's guilty of what we all think he's guilty of, then the FBI will find the evidence. Although this will take years to gather all the evidence, i'd bet we will be talking about this in 5 years and still be trying to pin the blame on him.

Its very much like the mafia, but luckily there will be more willing to talk against the family.

Scottie
30-05-2015, 07:54 AM
:agree: If he's guilty of what we all think he's guilty of, then the FBI will find the evidence. Although this will take years to gather all the evidence, i'd bet we will be talking about this in 5 years and still be trying to pin the blame on him.

Its very much like the mafia, but luckily there will be more willing to talk against the family.

Are. You saying Blatter is the Don Corleone of football ? :wink:

blackpoolhibs
30-05-2015, 08:05 AM

It is just like the Mafia, all looking after each other. Yes they help smaller countries and under privileged ones, but for me its just money laundering and a great way to keep themselves on the gravy boat.

Look at the way they look after these countries after the games are finished, and look at how they have crippled some of these countries without a second thought.

The FBI will bring FIFA down as we know it, we can only hope it does not take too long and those who do take over run it properly once they do.

Colr
30-05-2015, 08:12 AM

UAE would have been more plausible than just Qatar. However, I can think of many better places to kick start football. India and China would have been better candidates.

Colr
30-05-2015, 08:13 AM

More like Robert Mugabe of football.

superfurryhibby
30-05-2015, 08:38 AM
They will reassess and stay involved as will all the football nations. Nothing will change, money rules.

Money does indeed rule. That is why we will see change.

The European nations want more of it, the clubs don't get any of it and would gladly see the end of international football competition, although if they were somehow"compensated" that might change.

I can foresee boycott on the horizon. It 's a fall of the Roman Empire scenario. FIFA is too big and bloated, has no unity and awaits pillaging by the money fevered hoors in charge of European football. Blatter will be unable to stop it happening.

jdships
30-05-2015, 09:00 AM

:agree::thumbsup:
As usual plenty of " posturing" and no action!
Still a bit to run on the corruption story methinks :wink:

Eyrie
30-05-2015, 09:01 AM
FIFA = F*****d, It's Finally Agreed
Financial Impropriety For All

Money does indeed rule. That is why we will see change.

The European nations want more of it, the clubs don't get any of it and would gladly see the end of international football competition, although if they were somehow"compensated" that might change.

I can foresee boycott on the horizon. It 's a fall of the Roman Empire scenario. FIFA is too big and bloated, has no unity and awaits pillaging by the money fevered hoors in charge of European football. Blatter will be unable to stop it happening.
I think the problems posed by the Qatari World Cup could also be a factor. The corruption charges will provide a perfect excuse for the European associations to withdraw so that their seasons are not disrupted by a November/December competition.

CockneyRebel
30-05-2015, 10:25 AM
Financial Impropriety For All

I think the problems posed by the Qatari World Cup could also be a factor. The corruption charges will provide a perfect excuse for the European associations to withdraw so that their seasons are not disrupted by a November/December competition.

You may have something there. Then if the FAs who voted against Blatter yesterday form an alternative International organisation (for now let's call it LIFA - League of International FAs) which could then host an alternative WC competition then FIFA would collapse and the Blatter camp followers would eventually have to join the new organisation too. If it was compulsory for all LIFA members to select new representatives for their respective FAs then most of those involved in the corruption should be weeded out. Then total transparancy of all activities within LIFA should help to keep things clean.
Over simplified, obviously, as there would be many obstacles but the status quo ain't working.

PeeJay
30-05-2015, 11:30 AM
No doubt about the fact that Blatter is corrupt, but pinning everything on him seems to be wrong IMO. What really gets on my nerves is that FIFA - under Swiss law - is registered as a "non-profit making organisation", i.e. a charity of sorts! The "NPO" is not required to pay tax (any taxes as far as I'm aware) particularly in Switzerland (its base) as Swiss law does not currently regard paying bribes as an official offence, it's looked on as being more of a sort of "private issue"(!)) Switzerland is a strange country anyway when it comes to matters of corruption, illegality, money laundering and so forth - just look at the banks! There's a lot more wrong at FIFA and a society that is prepared to accept FIFA than this little Swiss gnome alone, surely? Even if Blatter goes, will his successor run the "charity" any differently? One has to wonder what benefit this public utility/charity is to society at large to justify it retaining its NPO status? I don't see any at all myself ...

Colr
30-05-2015, 01:07 PM
No doubt about the fact that Blatter is corrupt, but pinning everything on him seems to be wrong IMO. What really gets on my nerves is that FIFA - under Swiss law - is registered as a "non-profit making organisation", i.e. a charity of sorts! The "NPO" is not required to pay tax (any taxes as far as I'm aware) particularly in Switzerland (its base) as Swiss law does not currently regard paying bribes as an official offence, it's looked on as being more of a sort of "private issue"(!)) Switzerland is a strange country anyway when it comes to matters of corruption, illegality, money laundering and so forth - just look at the banks! There's a lot more wrong at FIFA and a society that is prepared to accept FIFA than this little Swiss gnome alone, surely? Even if Blatter goes, will his successor run the "charity" any differently? One has to wonder what benefit this public utility/charity is to society at large to justify it retaining its NPO status? I don't see any at all myself ...

Be interesting to know what tax relief is given on sponsorship

CropleyWasGod
30-05-2015, 01:16 PM
Be interesting to know what tax relief is given on sponsorship

You mean to the partners such as C*c* C*l* and the likes?

It will depend on the tax laws in the country in which they're resident. In UK terms, any such sponsorship qualifies as advertising, and is therefore tax-deductible.

Joe6-2
30-05-2015, 04:27 PM
More like Robert Mugabe of football.

Lol

liamh2202
30-05-2015, 06:55 PM
I see uefa are looking to boycott the world cup.... Scotland were trailblazers with this. We have been boycotting since 1998

Danderhall Hibs
30-05-2015, 09:48 PM
I see uefa are looking to boycott the world cup.... Scotland were trailblazers with this. We have been boycotting since 1998

You were beaten to this post by a trailblazer who posted this 24 hours ago.

snooky
30-05-2015, 10:38 PM
Thank God the Scottish game isny corrupt, that's all I want to say. :rolleyes:

liamh2202
31-05-2015, 09:17 AM
You were beaten to this post by a trailblazer who posted this 24 hours ago.

Haha 😂 I mustv missed it

Keith_M
31-05-2015, 10:12 AM
FIFA Whistleblower John McBeth vindicated (http://www.sundaypost.com/sport/football/scottish-whistleblower-hounded-out-by-fifa-s-mafia-family-breaks-his-silence-1.880071)

Mr White
31-05-2015, 05:21 PM
Blatter is the victim of a conspiracy

Says his daughter

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-32952426

J-C
01-06-2015, 07:53 AM
Biggest problem trying to get anything to stick to Blatter is he doesn't use e mails or texts and very rarely uses mobile phones, he's obviously making sure nothing comes back to haunt him, very devious man.

magpie1892
01-06-2015, 08:41 AM
Blatter is the victim of a conspiracy

Says his daughter

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-32952426

Something definitely smells that this story could have ended up on all the BBC's news programmes yesterday. Are they looking to FIFA for funding if not paying the licence fee gets decriminalised?

Scottie
02-06-2015, 04:49 PM
Breaking news.

Blatter to resign as fifa president.

Baader
02-06-2015, 04:52 PM
Blatter to go. Cue the deluge...

Jim44
02-06-2015, 04:57 PM
Biggest problem trying to get anything to stick to Blatter is he doesn't use e mails or texts and very rarely uses mobile phones, he's obviously making sure nothing comes back to haunt him, very devious man.

I believe his middle name is Teflon.

Eyrie
02-06-2015, 07:02 PM
Breaking news.

Blatter to resign as fifa president.

Coming so soon after his defiant post-election speech, there must be a good reason for it and that won't be anything to do with the greater good of the sport.