PDA

View Full Version : Hibernian F.C.'s exciting Challenge Cup adventure, season 2015-16

Diclonius
26-05-2015, 04:19 PM
So as we're down here again we'll get another crack at winning this cup, probably without Rangers this time. It'll also be out first competitive game of the season on the 25th July.

So, what's everyone's thoughts on it? Should we take it seriously this time (given we'll more than likely be overwhelming favourites bar Rangers) or it is still an "embarassment"? I'm all for having a go, any kind of silverware is an achievement and if we're in it we might as well try.

Pete
26-05-2015, 04:21 PM
Play the kids.

Cod Boy
26-05-2015, 04:22 PM
Play the kids.

Agree

Baldy Foghorn
26-05-2015, 04:22 PM
Every game should be taken seriously, and winning breeds winning and confidence....Let's go for the whole shebang, aim for the stars....

Smartie
26-05-2015, 04:25 PM
We need to hit the ground running on the first week of the league season.

I find it embarrassing that Hibs are in this competition but it is quite nice to have a competitive fixture to break us in before the main event begins.

Couldn't care what happens in this cup but it can be used to give players playing time in the first team and whatever benefits our league games the most.

Yuillsy
26-05-2015, 04:28 PM
Agree

Double agree!!!

Billychaotic182
26-05-2015, 04:30 PM
Play the strongest team every game. We don't get many chances to win cups so should take every game seriously

B.H.F.C
26-05-2015, 04:30 PM
I'd use the first round as an opportunity to play the first team with a view to having them ready for the first day of the league season. It's a competitive match so they'll get more out of it than a friendly.

Once the season has started I'd use it to help develop the young players.

Pete
26-05-2015, 04:32 PM
I'd use the first round as an opportunity to play the first team with a view to having them ready for the first day of the league season. It's a competitive match so they'll get more out of it than a friendly.

Agree with this. This cup is priority number four and I don't want it getting in the way of anything else.

Boydyhfc
26-05-2015, 04:33 PM
Go out to win it.

high bee
26-05-2015, 04:41 PM
Anything less than the double this year would be a failure...

Joking of course but it's very doable, even doing the treble wouldn't be a ridiculous suggestion.

Owain_1987
26-05-2015, 04:42 PM
We should try and win every game and play a strong side but use it to give young players a chance.

Billy Whizz
26-05-2015, 04:43 PM
Do we get into the petrofac cup with our season ticket😄

Elephant Stone
26-05-2015, 04:44 PM
Play the kids.

Got to be this, there's a risk of fatigue and injury with playing in an extra competition and the reward just does not merit the risk. Give the youth players a chance to get some first team experience and keep the rest of the squad as fresh as possible.

Pretty Boy
26-05-2015, 04:45 PM
Every game should be taken seriously, and winning breeds winning and confidence....Let's go for the whole shebang, aim for the stars....

Spot on.

We need to start well and a competitive game under our belts before the league starts is a chance we should be seizing.

We don't win many trophies so I'll happily have a good go at winning the Petrofac Cup or whatever it's called this season. The games are spaced out enough that we should be able to cope with maybe the odd change to give a few fringe players a game.

matty_f
26-05-2015, 04:49 PM
Go and win the thing. It'll put this 'bottling it' pish to bed for a bit.

My_Wife_Camille
26-05-2015, 04:52 PM
Draw names out a hat from season ticket holders and give them a chance to play

Onceinawhile
26-05-2015, 04:56 PM
Quadruple please.

Michael
26-05-2015, 04:59 PM
We should go for the quadruple.

blackpoolhibs
26-05-2015, 05:07 PM
How many loyalty points will i need to guarantee me a ticket for this game?

Hibbyradge
26-05-2015, 05:11 PM
Anything less than the double this year would be a failure...

Joking of course but it's very doable, even doing the treble wouldn't be a ridiculous suggestion.

It would.

lucky
26-05-2015, 05:15 PM
Rubbish competition that I have no interest in. Use it as a pre season friendly

Boris
26-05-2015, 05:15 PM
If it's a home tie I wonder if it counts as a domestic cup tie for season ticket "Cup top-up" purposes.............:rolleyes:

easty
26-05-2015, 05:20 PM
Rubbish completion that I have no interest in. Use it as a pre season friendly

Agree.

I want Hibs to win every game they play, but I'd no celebrate winning the petrofac cup any more than I would winning a game of curby.

iwasthere1972
26-05-2015, 05:24 PM
Reminds me a bit of the old Drybrough Cup although that was contested by teams in the top division. I remember us bringing the trophy around the pitch at our next home game, which I think was midweek, in what was pretty close to a wheelbarrow. Didn't even spell the sponsors name correctly. Hope I have. :greengrin

I'll celebrate any cup win even if it was the Scottish Cup.

emerald green
26-05-2015, 05:41 PM
Diddie cup. Hibs have got much more important things to win.

CB_NO3
26-05-2015, 05:45 PM
Treat as a friendly IMO.

Sammy7nil
26-05-2015, 06:11 PM
Draw names out a hat from season ticket holders and give them a chance to play

:agree:o:greengrin

scuttle
26-05-2015, 06:17 PM
We would probably bottle it in the final anyway:wink:

lord bunberry
26-05-2015, 08:04 PM
Imagine Scott Allan getting injured in the challenge cup and missing the rest of the season. It's the least of our priorities next season.

semaj64
26-05-2015, 08:10 PM
It is a competitive game and should be going out to win and win well.

Scouse Hibee
26-05-2015, 08:17 PM
We need to foster a winning mentality, play every competition with strongest 11 is my view.

HappyHibby93
26-05-2015, 08:20 PM
Good opportunity to give youth a chance. Giving guys like scott martin, dunsmore, Pertntreau (no idea if i've spelt this right) a chance to play first team will do them more good than it would for boys like Scotty Allan. Mix a couple of experienced players in there and we could still be quite successful

The_Horde
26-05-2015, 08:24 PM
Youth teams youth team. No time for the relegation cup.

SteveHFC
26-05-2015, 08:33 PM
Failure to win this cup next season will be the final straw for me.

Sir David Gray
26-05-2015, 08:33 PM
Would we get to parade the trophy on an open top bus up Princes Street if we win it? :dunno:

Carheenlea
26-05-2015, 08:37 PM
We go out to win it.
A good win in the first round will be a statement of intent that we are going to start the season flying.
Not something we would have open top bus parades over, but a day out at the final should we get there, could be an entertaining one nonetheless.

Thecat23
26-05-2015, 08:40 PM
The cup is about as important as winning at the Pitts. We start a long season after the summer and injuries and suspensions will kick in again!

So play the young lads for it!

Alfred E Newman
26-05-2015, 09:03 PM
So as we're down here again we'll get another crack at winning this cup, probably without Rangers this time. It'll also be out first competitive game of the season on the 25th July.

So, what's everyone's thoughts on it? Should we take it seriously this time (given we'll more than likely be overwhelming favourites bar Rangers) or it is still an "embarassment"? I'm all for having a go, any kind of silverware is an achievement and if we're in it we might as well try.

I was pig sick at missing out on Promotion till I read this. Bring it on!

NadeAteMyLunch!
26-05-2015, 09:30 PM

180 mate [emoji106]

NadeAteMyLunch!
26-05-2015, 09:33 PM
Take the first game seriously as prep for the season then get the fringe players in, Stanton, Handling etc. It's an absolutely howling tournament for teams like Hibs who shouldn't even be anywhere near this league

Danderhall Hibs
26-05-2015, 09:37 PM
Nothing more than a pre season game.

CRAZYHIBBY
26-05-2015, 10:39 PM
Couldnt give a toss if it was an egg cup........i want to win it

Steve20
27-05-2015, 06:26 AM
We should go out as soon as possible to concentrate on the league.

I'd rank winning the Tennent's Sixes, back in the day, above winning this thing.

blackpoolhibs
27-05-2015, 07:30 AM
180 mate [emoji106]

:grr: bloody uberfans, looks like its the telly for me then.

Brightside
27-05-2015, 07:39 AM
Failure to win this cup next season will be the final straw for me.

Really?

I hope we pay it no attention at all. Next season is about winning the league. Cups are nothing but a distraction.

Colr
27-05-2015, 07:49 AM
Given that turning possession into goals has been a major failing this season, these games should be used as much needed practice in scoring goals in a competitive situation.

I'd like to see a full strength side go out and try some new approaches with the aim of annihilating the opposition with full on 90 minutes, no slacking total football. No mercy, lets create some fear of the club in the opposition.

Ronniekirk
27-05-2015, 07:55 AM
Go and win the thing. It'll put this 'bottling it' pish to bed for a bit.
Think that's now a convenient label for Media to use about us ,that and our Scottish Cup record are now open Season for every journalist it would seem
But Stubbs I think has shown his attitude is to aim yo win everything we are in and this cup will be no different At the beginning of this season he played Harris Stanton handling and other younger players and they should of beat Rangers at Ibrox so if he does play younger players in the first round it will be players he thinks can do a job for the first team and that will be an opportunity for them .

SkootTheCat
27-05-2015, 08:07 AM
I think we should go for the league and cup double as it would breed confidence within the team and the supporters. A nice wee platform to build on for the following season.
We are playing these games so we might as well try and win them.
We've only won 3 trophies in the last 30 years and I don't think anyone would moan about winning another one.

Keith_M
27-05-2015, 08:11 AM

200 points gets you a chance of actually playing in this game.

liamh2202
27-05-2015, 08:12 AM
We are here because we deserve to be,, no time now for a big time attitude.. We should play to win every game.. I'd use a little squad rotation if the fixtures get busy but definitely wouldn't play youth players.. I don't think it would have any benefit because they would essentially just be playing in their youth team probably against a team that is no better than teams they usually face

CRAZYHIBBY
27-05-2015, 08:12 AM
Imagine what it will be like for the kids....They won't care what cup it is. If we win it then it will be a great day out regardless ......Can't believe the negativity òn here from some

AndyM_1875
27-05-2015, 09:32 AM
Of course we take it seriously, it's a cup and one we should try and win. Players would rather play competitive games than bounce games, friendlies or doing another mundane training session. It could actually be a useful addition to what I hope will be a League winning season keeping the players going and buzzing for the next game.

We will probably start with a game against some bottom tier team. Assuming we win that and progress through the tournament before you know it we may find ourselves in the latter stages of the competition. Do we take it seriously then?

West Upper
27-05-2015, 11:05 AM
We should play our strongest eleven from the start. A good win in the cup will give us more confidence at the start of the league. We are in this cup so should be setting a target of winning it

SaulGoodman
27-05-2015, 11:09 AM
I want to win the treble.

Keith_M
27-05-2015, 11:11 AM
Take the first game seriously as prep for the season then get the fringe players in, Stanton, Handling etc.

I'd be happy with that.

Mikey09
27-05-2015, 11:15 AM

Totally agree. As much as I hate to say it, Neilson did the right thing season gone. His no1 priority was the league and he let nothing distract him from it. Even when he played his youth team against Livi and took a load of stick from some yams he stuck to his guns. That's what our aim has to be next season.

CallumLaidlaw
27-05-2015, 11:40 AM
We are here because we deserve to be,, no time now for a big time attitude.. We should play to win every game.. I'd use a little squad rotation if the fixtures get busy but definitely wouldn't play youth players.. I don't think it would have any benefit because they would essentially just be playing in their youth team probably against a team that is no better than teams they usually face

:agree: We got relegated to the championship, and have failed to get out of it after 1 season. We may be a Premier league team when it comes to stadia, training facilities, support, etc, but for the time being, we ARE a championship club. My 10 year old will have no problem celebrating a challenge cup win. He's yet to see us win any silverware, so he'd enjoy it.

patlowe
27-05-2015, 12:55 PM
When it comes to it I think Stubbs will be sensible about this - play a competitive team but give fringe players a chance and don't risk guys that are prone to injuries (Gray, Farid etc). If we progress to the latter stages, great - it will be a good laugh. If we don't, well, I don't think you'll find many Hearts fans looking back with regret on it this season.

pennyhibee
27-05-2015, 01:25 PM
Totally agree. As much as I hate to say it, Neilson did the right thing season gone. His no1 priority was the league and he let nothing distract him from it. Even when he played his youth team against Livi and took a load of stick from some yams he stuck to his guns. That's what our aim has to be next season.

http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/top%20marks.gif

Bo'ness Hibee
27-05-2015, 01:27 PM
There is, of course, a chance that we could face an altogether different Edinburgh Derby, with Edinburgh City participating in the competition as a result of them winning the Lowland League last season.

GreenCastle
27-05-2015, 01:34 PM
Since when did we get so big time ?

Strongest team and win the cup - it's the Championship we are playing in not the Champions League !

Get that winning mentality at the club - we should have a squad built to cope with the extra 4 games or whatever it is this will bring.

emerald green
27-05-2015, 06:03 PM
Since when did we get so big time ?

Strongest team and win the cup - it's the Championship we are playing in not the Champions League !

Get that winning mentality at the club - we should have a squad built to cope with the extra 4 games or whatever it is this will bring.

It's not a question of being "big time". It's a question of priorities, and this is competition is not a priority.

What will this bring? Injuries maybe? Winning this competition doesn't exactly go on some sort of roll of honour.

Also, most knowledgeable people in the game believe players, generally, are required to play too many games already during a season. People like Arsene Venger for example, and I'm pretty sure Arsenal have got quite a formidable squad of players.