PDA

View Full Version : How much garbage do these two talk?

madhatter
25-05-2015, 11:24 PM
How bad is this show? The tone of Gary Cocker and his face looks like he has a deep hatred of Hibs while he says:

"I've never seen a team miss as many chances as Hibs did between Malonga and Cummings it must have been a dozen chances...in the first half alone" - clearly poor at Maths as there wasn't that many in first half and especially not only for Malonga and Cummings; also clearly doesn't watch much football either because I've seen plenty teams miss many more better quality chances than we did.

"like I said the last time, the last time I was right in this seat actually, I said Hibs are notorious Bottle Merchants and they proved that once again"

All the while Craig Fowler is smirking like a wee idiot.

http://www.scotsman.com/video/sport/the-scotsman-s-monday-football-round-up-4255813663001

I think it is safe to say that quite a few fans across Scotland enjoy mocking Hibs. People have continually contested this but shutting up idiots like this by coming flying up next season and getting a comfortable top six instantly the season after would be great. I'd love to shut this lot up.

How is it that every time we lose a big game without a doubt the word "Bottle" will be used somewhere instantly even without taking into account actual game? Adding to this, did Rangers bottle it against Alloa in Petrofac? Did Celtic bottle it against ICT in cup? Nah, they aren't Hibs...

monktonharp
26-05-2015, 12:11 AM
How bad is this show? The tone of Gary Cocker and his face looks like he has a deep hatred of Hibs while he says:

"I've never seen a team miss as many chances as Hibs did between Malonga and Cummings it must have been a dozen chances...in the first half alone" - clearly poor at Maths as there wasn't that many in first half and especially not only for Malonga and Cummings; also clearly doesn't watch much football either because I've seen plenty teams miss many more better quality chances than we did.

"like I said the last time, the last time I was right in this seat actually, I said Hibs are notorious Bottle Merchants and they proved that once again"

All the while Craig Fowler is smirking like a wee idiot.

http://www.scotsman.com/video/sport/the-scotsman-s-monday-football-round-up-4255813663001

I think it is safe to say that quite a few fans across Scotland enjoy mocking Hibs. People have continually contested this but shutting up idiots like this by coming flying up next season and getting a comfortable top six instantly the season after would be great. I'd love to shut this lot up.

How is it that every time we lose a big game without a doubt the word "Bottle" will be used somewhere instantly even without taking into account actual game? Adding to this, did Rangers bottle it against Alloa in Petrofac? Did Celtic bottle it against ICT in cup? Nah, they aren't Hibs...I understand your concerns, and have a certain sympathy with you, but, as they are not Hibernian fans they have no understanding of the sheer bad luck our club has had on numerous occasions in the cup, in the league etc. we are the biggest under performers,ever, in fitba terms with the ENGLISH exeption of NUFC. we have bottled it, on numerous occasions, and it always looks as if it was that. you and I, as Hibs fans, know that we have not always done that but we never seem to get an equal break that others do in the crucial games. yet still we go to see our team

greenlex
26-05-2015, 07:58 AM
As long as some of our own fans are of this mindset it's no surprise that others jump on the bandwagon. Best ignored.

HappyAsHellas
26-05-2015, 08:00 AM
I think as Hibs fans it is fair to say that in the past certain performances could be viewed in a dim light, but those days are gone now. We may have underperformed in a game or two this season but certainly have never bottled it. These maggots pick up on LD and AS having to defend this, and then try to use it as a barometer of their incredible knowledge of the game. As I say, Maggots.

greenginger
26-05-2015, 08:10 AM
Better being referred to as " Bottlers " by the media than as tax cheating, creditor screwing, charity thieves as the two teams in line for promotion constantly get called by the same media !

Or have I missed something ? :greengrin

Alfred E Newman
26-05-2015, 08:45 AM
I don't know why the media love putting the boot in but it has become so common now that I am past caring. The BBC sport webpage report on Saturdays game stated that most Hibs supporters were on their way home when Cummings scored. Really??

green day
26-05-2015, 08:46 AM
Who exactly are Gary Cocker and Craig Fowler ?

Billychaotic182
26-05-2015, 08:52 AM
I like Craig Fowler. He is a hearts fan so of course he is going to take the piss out of us if he gets the chance. If you listen to the terrace football podcast he comes across as a likeable guy. But what do we expect these media outlets to say about us? People seem to take offence if anything negative is writen about us. Fact is these people writing the story's are not hibs fans, so they are just saying it like THEY see it. We might not agree but we can't change that.

GreenOnions
26-05-2015, 09:16 AM
I've never heard either of their names before although I have seen the bearded guy on similar links from this site on other occasions.

I don't really think we should take what they say too seriously - they look like two school-leavers producing an audition piece to try to get into sports journalism. It's amateurish and hardly cerebral.

I don't take issue with the fact that the guy is criticising Hibs. He loses credibility via his poorly conceived notion about Hibs "bottling it" against Rangers: Using that phrase to describe our loss to Rangers is ridiculous. It implies that we "froze" or "didn't turn up" etc. These things may well have happened in the past on some big occasions but not on this one. Anyone who saw the games would know that we really did turn up - to the extent that we were much the better footballing side in both games and that we dominated probably about 75% of the play across the two legs creating enough opportunities to win several games.

Bottling-it suggests a failure of attitude, determination and self-confidence. I don't think a team performs as Hibs did when these factors are in evidence. The lad Fowler either didn't watch the games, doesn't really know what the words he's using mean or, more likely, wrote the script he'd like to deliver on the show before the first leg actually started.

If Fowler wants to get into journalism he will need to sharpen up his act and become objective and accurate in his analysis. Otherwise he will continue to come across just like someone they've dragged into the studio from the street wearing a maroon scarf.

patlowe
26-05-2015, 09:48 AM
I've never heard either of their names before although I have seen the bearded guy on similar links from this site on other occasions.

I don't really think we should take what they say too seriously - they look like two school-leavers producing an audition piece to try to get into sports journalism. It's amateurish and hardly cerebral.

I don't take issue with the fact that the guy is criticising Hibs. He loses credibility via his poorly conceived notion about Hibs "bottling it" against Rangers: Using that phrase to describe our loss to Rangers is ridiculous. It implies that we "froze" or "didn't turn up" etc. These things may well have happened in the past on some big occasions but not on this one. Anyone who saw the games would know that we really did turn up - to the extent that we were much the better footballing side in both games and that we dominated probably about 75% of the play across the two legs creating enough opportunities to win several games.

Bottling-it suggests a failure of attitude, determination and self-confidence. I don't think a team performs as Hibs did when these factors are in evidence. The lad Fowler either didn't watch the games, doesn't really know what the words he's using mean or, more likely, wrote the script he'd like to deliver on the show before the first leg actually started.

If Fowler wants to get into journalism he will need to sharpen up his act and become objective and accurate in his analysis. Otherwise he will continue to come across just like someone they've dragged into the studio from the street wearing a maroon scarf.

I think you're being a bit harsh on Craig Fowler - he does a really good and fairly balanced job on the Terrace podcast, and personally I think we need a few more young guys like him, without historic ties to the old firm, across the media landscape in this country. From the little I can understand, his background is print journalism but he is obviously trying to do his bit in broadcast media and I admire that effort to build a career/profile.

Having said that, I agree with your analysis in paragraph 3. Hibs certainly did not bottle it and it is lazy analysis to use our past failures to tarnish the current squad. What we lacked was a cutting edge and the real quality and guile, even game intelligence maybe, that you need to break down an obstinate side set on defending for their lives.

GreenOnions
26-05-2015, 10:01 AM
I think you're being a bit harsh on Craig Fowler - he does a really good and fairly balanced job on the Terrace podcast, and personally I think we need a few more young guys like him, without historic ties to the old firm, across the media landscape in this country. From the little I can understand, his background is print journalism but he is obviously trying to do his bit in broadcast media and I admire that effort to build a career/profile.

Having said that, I agree with your analysis in paragraph 3. Hibs certainly did not bottle it and it is lazy analysis to use our past failures to tarnish the current squad. What we lacked was a cutting edge and the real quality and guile, even game intelligence maybe, that you need to break down an obstinate side set on defending for their lives.

Fair enough - I take your point about him. All I know about the guy is what I saw and heard on that broadcast and, as you say, his piece can only be described as, at best, lazy thinking. I will watch out for further output from him though and, hopefully, he can work on improving the quality of his contribution.

Kato
26-05-2015, 10:52 AM
From the little I can understand, his background is print journalism but he is obviously trying to do his bit in broadcast media and I admire that effort to build a career/profile.

Couldn't be less interested in his career/profile. If that's how lazy a journalist he's setting out to be he'll be just another gimp slagging Scottish Football/Hibernian without actually paying attention to proceedings. Another one of those to add to the pile.

Carheenlea
26-05-2015, 11:33 AM
Couldn't be less interested in his career/profile. If that's how lazy a journalist he's setting out to be he'll be just another gimp slagging Scottish Football/Hibernian without actually paying attention to proceedings. Another one of those to add to the pile.

:agree: Last thing the Scottish media needs is another Jambo welt within its ranks.

patlowe
26-05-2015, 12:57 PM

No one is under any obligation to like or listen to him, I'm just trying to give a bit of context here - it's a guy who generally does a good job, probably for the most part unpaid. I don't agree with his analysis of this game but he normally comes across well, facilitates non-OF biased discussion on Scottish football that I enjoy, and IMO doesn't deserve abuse.

Kato
26-05-2015, 01:17 PM
No one is under any obligation to like or listen to him, I'm just trying to give a bit of context here - it's a guy who generally does a good job, probably for the most part unpaid. I don't agree with his analysis of this game but he normally comes across well, facilitates non-OF biased discussion on Scottish football that I enjoy, and IMO doesn't deserve abuse.

He started it. :wink:

mattyjacklegend
26-05-2015, 04:18 PM
In defence of Gary, he got a late call up due to myself being unavailable for the Scotsman Google Hangout. I am a regular panelist for both the Scotsman and Terrace Podcast. I was earmarked to come on as a Hibs fan who was at the game. Due to the late call up I feel Gary was ill prepared. On the pod I disagreed with Gary's assessment as like some of you state, just because we lost does not mean we 'bottled' it.

Craig Fowler is superb and while he has a position at the Scotsman as an employee, much of what he does is unpaid. He started the pod as he wanted to create more balanced and inclusive Scottish football coverage. We at the pod all commit a huge amount of time to give Scottish football fans what they want and give an alternative to more mainstream coverage.

We have a core listener group of around 1500 to 2000 and love feedback like this to help us create the best coverage we can. Obviously we would love more listeners and continued feedback.

Ultimately each individual will not agree with every panelist but we pride ourselves on giving a balanced view. In terms of the boss, Craig Fowler, he is extremely hard working and is trying to change how Scottish football is covered. We even have lower league pundits on from time to time to cover Championship and below as we feel all of Scottish football is important.

I hope some of you give the pod a try and enjoy the coverage. Please don't hesitate to post views of it and the Scotsman 'Google Hangout' on here or on our websites etc. we can only improve with our fans help.

My name is Tony Anderson btw, haha.

GGTTH

mattyjacklegend
26-05-2015, 04:30 PM
Also, Gary is a Dundee fan and has said a few times how much he has warmed to both Edinburgh clubs since moving to Edinburgh. Mainly due to how passionate both fan bases are.

Billychaotic182
26-05-2015, 07:09 PM
In defence of Gary, he got a late call up due to myself being unavailable for the Scotsman Google Hangout. I am a regular panelist for both the Scotsman and Terrace Podcast. I was earmarked to come on as a Hibs fan who was at the game. Due to the late call up I feel Gary was ill prepared. On the pod I disagreed with Gary's assessment as like some of you state, just because we lost does not mean we 'bottled' it.

Craig Fowler is superb and while he has a position at the Scotsman as an employee, much of what he does is unpaid. He started the pod as he wanted to create more balanced and inclusive Scottish football coverage. We at the pod all commit a huge amount of time to give Scottish football fans what they want and give an alternative to more mainstream coverage.

We have a core listener group of around 1500 to 2000 and love feedback like this to help us create the best coverage we can. Obviously we would love more listeners and continued feedback.

Ultimately each individual will not agree with every panelist but we pride ourselves on giving a balanced view. In terms of the boss, Craig Fowler, he is extremely hard working and is trying to change how Scottish football is covered. We even have lower league pundits on from time to time to cover Championship and below as we feel all of Scottish football is important.

I hope some of you give the pod a try and enjoy the coverage. Please don't hesitate to post views of it and the Scotsman on here or on our websites etc. we can only improve with our fans help.

GGTTH

Well I love the podcast. The likes of the terrace, scottish comedy fc and Monday night fit ba have made me enjoy listening to football shows again. Can't handle sportsound or off the ball as they care more about what goes on off the pitch than on it. Enjoyed your memorable teams shows and well. Keep up the good work Tony

lord bunberry
26-05-2015, 07:58 PM
I like Craig Fowler. He is a hearts fan so of course he is going to take the piss out of us if he gets the chance. If you listen to the terrace football podcast he comes across as a likeable guy. But what do we expect these media outlets to say about us? People seem to take offence if anything negative is writen about us. Fact is these people writing the story's are not hibs fans, so they are just saying it like THEY see it. We might not agree but we can't change that.
Saying we bottled it is a bit more than saying it how they seen it IMO. It's a pretty poor comment to make, anyone watching both games couldn't accuse us of bottling it.

green day
26-05-2015, 08:07 PM

I hope some of you give the pod a try and enjoy the coverage. Please don't hesitate to post views of it and the Scotsman on here or on our websites etc. we can only improve with our fans help.

GGTTH

So, ask your mate "the boss" if/when he is going to do a piece asking difficult questions of Budge - I.e. if they are going to pay back the businesses they stiffed pre administration?

This erse thinks its fine to poke fun solely at our club? I'm sure he's another "reasonable jambo" who still gives it the big 5-1 even though that team was paid for with other peoples cash.

So, sorry - your reply is reasonable, but Fowlers journalism is in no way professional or balanced. Perhaps he should just piss off to Sportsound like every other hibs hating dick.

Fenriz
26-05-2015, 08:25 PM
In my opinion, one of the advantages of 'alternative football media' is that pundits don't need to deign to hide their allegiances and potential bias. Far preferable to the likes of James Traynor pretending that he's an Airdie fan! So long as there are contributions from a variety of fans and viewpoints, I really don't see how people can find things like this so upsetting.

green day
26-05-2015, 08:42 PM
So long as there are contributions from a variety of fans and viewpoints, I really don't see how people can find things like this so upsetting.

Agreed - I think what annoys some of us (and I am just having a grumpy night) is that this is the journalistic equivalent of dodgy penalties 'evening themselves out over the season'.

I dont think we get a fair crack, and it pisses me off. I must have missed the shows where they openly love hibs and state how awful it is that we didnt make it back to the top league (sarcasm alert).

Any journos with hibs leanings (kenny miller - the sun for example) just do their job professionally, and sometimes in the face of rubbish spouted by ********s like that ewen murray off the guardian who sneers about hibs at any opportunity.

mattyjacklegend
27-05-2015, 12:35 AM
So, ask your mate "the boss" if/when he is going to do a piece asking difficult questions of Budge - I.e. if they are going to pay back the businesses they stiffed pre administration?

This erse thinks its fine to poke fun solely at our club? I'm sure he's another "reasonable jambo" who still gives it the big 5-1 even though that team was paid for with other peoples cash.

So, sorry - your reply is reasonable, but Fowlers journalism is in no way professional or balanced. Perhaps he should just piss off to Sportsound like every other hibs hating dick.

Wow! Glad you said your grumpy as that got aggressive fast! I thought the issue was with Gary, not Craig? I know Craig and I imagine the 'smirk' was more to do with knowing how folk would react to Gary's 'bottling' claim.

In terms of the Terrace, Craig certainly does not only 'poke fun at Hibs', I can assure that claim is without foundation. We take the piss out of all clubs when they deserve it. The pod is made up of 3 Hearts fans, 2 Hibs fans, a Killie fan, a Dundee fan, Raith fan, a Gers fan and occasionally a Stenny fan. Hearts in the past got dogs abuse from all of us as frankly, they were a joke. A whole pod was dedicated to the nonsense of the Vlad era.

We we wrote a series of blogs at the time for instance, one from a Hibs fan view point, a neutral and a Jambo. Craig certainly is not a 'Hibs hating dick' He always looks at Hibs objectively and is a huge fan of Stubbs and the work LD is doing. He dislikes Hibs in the healthy football rivalry way but like myself reserves hate for things outside of football. It's entertainment football and has pantomime villain players and clubs. All clubs have dick head fans man.

On the pod we try and and stay out of financial and off field matters and stick to what's going on, on the pitch. Like all of us Craig dislikes how companies how any big business can fold and in the process shaft many small businesses but unfortunately that happens. As far as I'm aware There is no duristiction on Budge having to pays the former incumbents debts. As commendable as that would be. I agree the media concentrated largely on how Hearts have regrouped rather than what Vlad done to the club and many businesses. Budge is a business woman who is running a business correctly and within the law.

It is frustrating they are able to lord their relative success over us due to Vlad writing cheques that no one could cash but it's done, move on, don't be bitter about it.

Our time will come and it will be all the sweeter doing it like a proper, community football club.

mattyjacklegend
27-05-2015, 12:46 AM
Furthermore, why would we do a show on either the hangout or the pod bemoaning Hibs not going up? That wouldn't be balanced. Just how we don't buy in to the claim it's important for Gers to go up for the league. Who ever goes up or down is cool with us and ultimately deserves it. Hamilton for instance were much better football wise than Hibs have been in recent years and that's all that matters to the league.

We we have had many a love in on the pod for Hibs this season. The last derby and 4 nil for instance. I feel you need to check out more of Fowler's work and the pod in general before making such holistic claims IMO.

GreenOnions
27-05-2015, 09:04 AM
Wow! Glad you said your grumpy as that got aggressive fast! I thought the issue was with Gary, not Craig? I know Craig and I imagine the 'smirk' was more to do with knowing how folk would react to Gary's 'bottling' claim.

In terms of the Terrace, Craig certainly does not only 'poke fun at Hibs', I can assure that claim is without foundation. We take the piss out of all clubs when they deserve it. The pod is made up of 3 Hearts fans, 2 Hibs fans, a Killie fan, a Dundee fan, Raith fan, a Gers fan and occasionally a Stenny fan. Hearts in the past got dogs abuse from all of us as frankly, they were a joke. A whole pod was dedicated to the nonsense of the Vlad era.

We we wrote a series of blogs at the time for instance, one from a Hibs fan view point, a neutral and a Jambo. Craig certainly is not a 'Hibs hating dick' He always looks at Hibs objectively and is a huge fan of Stubbs and the work LD is doing. He dislikes Hibs in the healthy football rivalry way but like myself reserves hate for things outside of football. It's entertainment football and has pantomime villain players and clubs. All clubs have dick head fans man.

On the pod we try and and stay out of financial and off field matters and stick to what's going on, on the pitch. Like all of us Craig dislikes how companies how any big business can fold and in the process shaft many small businesses but unfortunately that happens. As far as I'm aware There is no duristiction on Budge having to pays the former incumbents debts. As commendable as that would be. I agree the media concentrated largely on how Hearts have regrouped rather than what Vlad done to the club and many businesses. Budge is a business woman who is running a business correctly and within the law.

It is frustrating they are able to lord their relative success over us due to Vlad writing cheques that no one could cash but it's done, move on, don't be bitter about it.

Our time will come and it will be all the sweeter doing it like a proper, community football club.

I can't actually remember which one is Gary and which one is Craig but I think the show needs to be clear what it is trying to do. If it wants to be a bit of a giggle where you listen when you want a bit of banter and argy-bargy - their podcast was fine. If it's purporting to be an informed fans' discussion show then it needs contributors' comments to be more than just thoughtless slagging of one team or other as, if not, it just loses all credibility. Genuine question - which is the podcast trying to be?

Fenriz
27-05-2015, 11:14 AM
People's sense of entitlement is unbelievable. Mr Tony Anderson, justify the free product you and your mates are creating in your spare time, immediately!

DirtyDeeds
27-05-2015, 04:08 PM
People's sense of entitlement is unbelievable. Mr Tony Anderson, justify the free product you and your mates are creating in your spare time, immediately!

Couldnt agree more. Astounding how people have the audacity to complain SO passionately, dare I say with touch of hatred in one or two comments, about a product that is entirely devised and produced at no expense to the 'consumer'. YOUR FREE TO AIR PODCAST IS ***** AND I DEMAND BETTER IMMEDIATELY. Alternatively, everyone could listen to www.mondaynightfitba.com instead..... :-D

green day
27-05-2015, 04:14 PM
Couldnt agree more. Astounding how people have the audacity to complain SO passionately, dare I say with touch of hatred in one or two comments, about a product that is entirely devised and produced at no expense to the 'consumer'. YOUR FREE TO AIR PODCAST IS ***** AND I DEMAND BETTER IMMEDIATELY. Alternatively, everyone could listen to www.mondaynightfitba.com instead..... :-D

In the same way that they are free to produce and distribute their material, I and others are free to slag it off or ignore it. Who cares if it is free??

Its not audacity, its just the way of the world.

Actually I was talking about the the jambos cheating and getting away with it - so there might be a touch of something - not hatred though.

And as for the other guy suggesting I was 'entitled', brilliant, hilarious banter !

GreenOnions
27-05-2015, 08:54 PM

I think you miss the point here a little. If they set up their own podcast without the backing of a major news organisation that would be different. However, the newpaper has allowed them to operate under its banner and this is likely to increase the level of interest from the public as there will be a perception of quality. I also imagine that some participants may be hoping for some professional gain from appearances and that the "backing" of The Scotsman will further facilitate this. So - I don't think it's telling the full story to imply that there's nothing in it for those appearing.

Perhaps you're right though and we should just express our opinion by not watching such things - although I accept mattyjacklegend's point that Gary Cocker was ill-prepared and possibly just made an a*se of it with the normal level of debate being higher.

TowerHibs
28-05-2015, 05:43 AM
Far too many people jumping on the band wagon sagging a show that they have never listened to or on the 1 video currently on the scotsman website.

The show has been running for years and for Kato's comment above saying they should be more supportive of Scottish football is laughable and wrong. These guys talk about all scottish football and actively give a voice to all games excluding the old firm. I suggest giving them a listen before saying they are Hibs hating Jambos.

"Owww but the slag the Hibs ken....."

Grow up, they take the micky out everyone and out of every situation.imagine a guy watching a game who is not a hibs fan calling us bottlers.....imagine!!! They are allowed to support other teams and they are allowed to have opinions. Paid or other wise.

We never slate other teams (without knowledge) on here. If people are going to launch personal insults to any of the guys running the Terrace Podcast, i suggest looking through their website for 5/10 minutes and if you can still say they are unbalanced guys who pick on Hibs then you are as deluded as you think they are. They deliberately choose to focus purely what's on the park (not board room) and are refreshingly enthusiastic about every league in Scotland.

TowerHibs
28-05-2015, 05:55 AM
I think you miss the point here a little. If they set up their own podcast without the backing of a major news organisation that would be different. However, the newpaper has allowed them to operate under its banner and this is likely to increase the level of interest from the public as there will be a perception of quality. I also imagine that some participants may be hoping for some professional gain from appearances and that the "backing" of The Scotsman will further facilitate this. So - I don't think it's telling the full story to imply that there's nothing in it for those appearing.

Perhaps you're right though and we should just express our opinion by not watching such things - although I accept mattyjacklegend's point that Gary Cocker was ill-prepared and possibly just made an a*se of it with the normal level of debate being higher.

The video is not the guys show. The show is a different audio podcast which is 2 a week and has been ongoing for many years. I suggest giving them a listen for a few weeks before people start with the personal insults and slating the work they do. All of which is unpaid and guys travel from round the country to contribute. They attracted the atrention on a major media sourcr due to their fair and balance debate on all football. I mean they have a guy who is from the tell him he's Pele website with unreal knowledge of lower league Scottish football and at times its amazing listening to him talk about players you only know of because of Jeff Stelling.

The rip the piss out of every team and for some people on here to go all high and proper because 1 person (a top 6 Dundee fan) mocks Hibs is pathetic on our front. Not everyone in Scotland wears green tinted specs like us..........

TowerHibs
28-05-2015, 06:06 AM

You've made that comment without listening to a single show because they are anything but hibs hating. Some people slag hibs, they also slag hearts, they slag Partick, Killie get dogs abuse, they call St J boring (they finished 4th in top division btw). No everyone goes to bed with an erecting over Lewis Stephenson and Scott Allan. (They go to bed with stiffys over Jamie Longmuir and Gain Reilly)

The hypocrisy on here is laughable. Saying the terrace pod guys don't know what they are talking about yet never listened to their show. I would suggest listening to Mondays show where the same Dundee fan has a right go at his own club to give a bit balance. I have no personal knowledge of the guys but I just plainly don't understand the personal insults on here to the 7 or 8 young lads who are genuinely passionate about the Scottish game and actively try to give a fair and balanced product. If you follow them on twitter they actively call out sky/bbc to slate the coverage they give and just want them to be positive about Scottish football.

(I would also add the Monday Night Fitba show is the same)

marinello59
28-05-2015, 06:18 AM

Apart from Hibs fans nobody else in Scottish football is remotely interested anymore in what happened at Hearts under a previous regime. Whether we like it or not that story is now dead. And to be honest I would be much more interested in listening to a programme that concentrated on the game itself and what happens on the pitch.

GreenOnions
28-05-2015, 07:03 AM
The video is not the guys show. The show is a different audio podcast which is 2 a week and has been ongoing for many years. I suggest giving them a listen for a few weeks before people start with the personal insults and slating the work they do. All of which is unpaid and guys travel from round the country to contribute. They attracted the atrention on a major media sourcr due to their fair and balance debate on all football. I mean they have a guy who is from the tell him he's Pele website with unreal knowledge of lower league Scottish football and at times its amazing listening to him talk about players you only know of because of Jeff Stelling.

The rip the piss out of every team and for some people on here to go all high and proper because 1 person (a top 6 Dundee fan) mocks Hibs is pathetic on our front. Not everyone in Scotland wears green tinted specs like us..........

You've also missed the point I fear. In my post - taking on board the thoughts of mattyjacklegend - I acknowledged the possibility that the show or podcast or whatever was normally good. My contention was not that they shouldn't be criticising Hibs. It was that - with the "Scotsman" backdrop - the show is purporting to offer "quality" debate and yet the discussion on the Rangers game was far from that with Gary Cocker's contribution being particularly poor in terms of analysis. It really did remind me of watching/listening to most national broadcast output where you can tell from the "experts'" responses to questions about non-Old Firm clubs that they don't have any more knowledge about those clubs than is available on the back page of the red tops. I can never understand the point of having these discussions on the national broadcasts as they are shallow and uninformed with most debate referring only to cliches and whatever is obvious. This podcast came across to me as the same.

My issue with the podcast is specific and, whilst I am critical of this particular output, I have acknowledged that it may not be representative following a response from another poster on here. It seems to me that it is you who is the more sensitive to criticism rather than those who have an issue with the weekend's podcast.

TowerHibs
28-05-2015, 07:17 AM
You've also missed the point I fear. In my post - taking on board the thoughts of mattyjacklegend - I acknowledged the possibility that the show or podcast or whatever was normally good. My contention was not that they shouldn't be criticising Hibs. It was that - with the "Scotsman" backdrop - the show is purporting to offer "quality" debate and yet the discussion on the Rangers game was far from that with Gary Cocker's contribution being particularly poor in terms of analysis. It really did remind me of watching/listening to most national broadcast output where you can tell from the "experts'" responses to questions about non-Old Firm clubs that they don't have any more knowledge about those clubs than is available on the back page of the red tops. I can never understand the point of having these discussions on the national broadcasts as they are shallow and uninformed with most debate referring only to cliches and whatever is obvious. This podcast came across to me as the same.

My issue with the podcast is specific and, whilst I am critical of this particular output, I have acknowledged that it may not be representative following a response from another poster on here. It seems to me that it is you who is the more sensitive to criticism rather than those who have an issue with the weekend's podcast.

Fair do's and i acknowledge that my whole post was not relating entirely to you. I am not sensitive to criticism, i just think it is unfair when these guys deliberately try to be different to the normal "sportsound" coverage that people who have never listened to a single show these guys have produced over the past 5 or so seasons. Its like saying Derek Riordan only scored tap ins after seeing him scored 1 goal

Kato
28-05-2015, 07:20 AM
The show has been running for years and for Kato's comment above saying they should be more supportive of Scottish football is laughable and wrong. These guys talk about all scottish football and actively give a voice to all games excluding the old firm. I suggest giving them a listen before saying they are Hibs hating Jambos.

Never said they were Hibs hating Jambos, only that saying Hibs "bottled" the game was lazy and that if that is an example of how great and impartial their show is then it falls short of objectivity and is more in line with the MSM's laziness.

Couldn't actually give a monkey's though, about their podcast, opinion, or them giving non-OF clubs a voice.

Glad I gave you a laugh.

Kato
28-05-2015, 07:21 AM
Its like saying Derek Riordan only scored tap ins after seeing him scored 1 goal

Or saying Hibs are bottlers after a tie in which we dominated proceedings but just fell short of luck.

TowerHibs
28-05-2015, 07:26 AM
Or saying Hibs are bottlers after a tie in which we dominated proceedings but just fell short of luck.

i agree with you. Another football fan who doesnt support Hibs doesn't. he isn't and doesn't pretend to be a journalist

Luck????

TowerHibs
28-05-2015, 07:27 AM
Never said they were Hibs hating Jambos, only that saying Hibs "bottled" the game was lazy and that if that is an example of how great and impartial their show is then it falls short of objectivity and is more in line with the MSM's laziness.

Couldn't actually give a monkey's though, about their podcast, opinion, or them giving non-OF clubs a voice.

Glad I gave you a laugh.

You quite clearly do

Kato
28-05-2015, 07:29 AM
i agree with you. Another football fan who doesnt support Hibs doesn't. he isn't and doesn't pretend to be a journalist

Whether he's a journalist or not his publicly expressed opinion is up for discussion, no?

Luck????

Ahead of them in every dept but no breaks in front of goal, unlucky in my book. On another day we might have won.

GreenOnions
28-05-2015, 07:29 AM
Fair do's and i acknowledge that my whole post was not relating entirely to you. I am not sensitive to criticism, i just think it is unfair when these guys deliberately try to be different to the normal "sportsound" coverage that people who have never listened to a single show these guys have produced over the past 5 or so seasons. Its like saying Derek Riordan only scored tap ins after seeing him scored 1 goal

Now there's a heartening subject to discuss :agree:

therealgavmac
28-05-2015, 07:32 AM
Can I actually express my surprise that on two occasions on this thread, posters have used the words "quality" and "Scotsman" together! :greengrin

liamh2202
28-05-2015, 07:34 AM
Apart from Hibs fans nobody else in Scottish football is remotely interested anymore in what happened at Hearts under a previous regime. Whether we like it or not that story is now dead. And to be honest I would be much more interested in listening to a programme that concentrated on the game itself and what happens on the pitch.

I'd even say it's only some Hibs fans

TowerHibs
28-05-2015, 07:39 AM
Whether he's a journalist or not his publicly expressed opinion is up for discussion, no?

Ahead of them in every dept but no breaks in front of goal, unlucky in my book. On another day we might have won.

it certainly does but your point was that this video highlights the MSM laziness on issues regarding Scottish football. In my view, this pod and others (MN Fitba) actually give fans a voice, however misconstrued it maybe, and that should be supported and applauded. They are not claiming to be experts and like or not 95% of Scottish football fans think Hibs are bottlers.....god we have given them enough ammunition to think that.

He thinks we bottled it, you think we were unlucky and i think we were simple not good enough to go through. It opinions. To call the guys lazy is just wrong in my view

Kato
28-05-2015, 07:43 AM
it certainly does but your point was that this video highlights the MSM laziness on issues regarding Scottish football. In my view, this pod and others (MN Fitba) actually give fans a voice, however misconstrued it maybe, and that should be supported and applauded. They are not claiming to be experts and like or not 95% of Scottish football fans think Hibs are bottlers.....god we have given them enough ammunition to think that.

He thinks we bottled it, you think we were unlucky and i think we were simple not good enough to go through. It opinions. To call the guys lazy is just wrong in my view

That's not really what I said but then again I don't really care enough about his opinion to carry on reading about you defending it.

Cheers.

TowerHibs
28-05-2015, 07:47 AM
That's not really what I said but then again I don't really care enough about his opinion to carry on reading about you defending it.

Cheers.

:top marks

Steve20
28-05-2015, 07:58 AM

Nah, the luck thing just doesn't hold true. It's used by lots of Hibs fans to try and cover the fact we were again not good enough to get the job done. We were out of luck against Hearts the first three times when we didn't win, we were out of luck in the semi against Falkirk and we were again out of luck in the two playoff games.

It's just not true. We didn't create all that much over the two games and the forwards were humpty when the few chances did come. That's not bad luck. That's just being not a very good side.

Kato
28-05-2015, 08:08 AM
Nah, the luck thing just doesn't hold true.

At the first Rangers goal there was a foul to Hibs in the build, the second was off-side. Given a bit luck, i.e. being lucky to have officials who gave these decisions, we would have won the tie 1-0.

That's just being not a very good side.

So you've said.

portyhibernian
28-05-2015, 03:10 PM
Who cares what some random Dundee/Kilmarnock/Hearts fans have to say about Hibs?? Certainly not me. I actually listened to the podcast a few times about a year ago and found it to be incredibly boring, hence I stopped.