PDA

View Full Version : Development League Players

Godsahibby
25-05-2015, 07:30 AM
I believe Dubsmore was on the bench at the weekend, is he the next player we expect to make the step up? Who else can we expect to see playing regularly next season in the 1st team?

Mikey09
25-05-2015, 08:06 AM
Conor Duthie and hopefully Lewis Allan. Both fantastic prospects.

Bill Milne
25-05-2015, 08:08 AM
As Nikki is more used to seeing theses lads than most of us, perhaps she can share her views on likely breakthrough material?

andrew70
25-05-2015, 08:35 AM
Callum Crane, Scott Martin, Lewis Allan and if he keeps maturing/progressing Conner Duthie.

Callum has a wonderful left foot has the ability to play further forward than his usual left back berth.

Scott is an energetic midfielder who has improved a lot throughout his time at Hibs.

Lewis is a terrific centre forward at Development level, strong, athletic with an eye for goal but has a lot to learn (timing of runs for example) before maintaining a first team spot.

Conner potentially the best of the lot much will come down to his own personal development and attitude though

truehibernian
25-05-2015, 08:37 AM
Callum Crane for me - think he will feature a lot pre-season if fit.

oconnors_strip
25-05-2015, 08:38 AM
As Nikki is more used to seeing theses lads than most of us, perhaps she can share her views on likely breakthrough material?

Aaron dunsmore was in development team of the year at the right back position, he will definitely make the breakthrough next season and get match time. He is a strong defender but also gets up the wing and delivers a good cross.

Others who I think will break through are Calum crane, he plays left back/left wingback/left midfield. Another strong defender who can also get up the wing and deliver strong balls across in to the box, a good link up player who likes to take a player on.
Conor duthie who plays just behind the striker, has a fierce shot on him and runs for the full 90 mins, a very hard working lad. Still had a lot to learn but under stubbs I can see him keeping his head down and being on the bench next season.
Jordan sinclair, a central midfielder who has a wicked shot from distance, never afraid to shoot and make a tackle. Yes we have a lot of midfielders at Hibs but he is under stubbs' watch.

nellio
25-05-2015, 08:53 AM
Future is looking good by the sound of it. Our academy is quality.

andrew70
25-05-2015, 09:01 AM

It is doing well but can be doing so much better, alas with any academy it is only potential at this minute.

When I say it can be doing better. I watched the semi final through in Greenock and Celtic absolutely destroyed us.

We've more than matched Celtic in recent years but the difference in strength, power, fitness and ability was there for all to see. The players at Celtic are clearly all buying in to the ethos that Deila and co have been trying to impose on their squad.

I was very impressed by them and whilst the Hibs Development team have improved further under McBride there's a long way to go before they can justify first team positions.

That is, however, what a development team means and the fact that many of them have signed up for next year shows that Hibs have confidence in their abilities to develop and nurture them in to players who can wear the Hibs strip with pride.

truehibernian
25-05-2015, 09:05 AM

And it's not just players Hibs are scouting - coaching staff from other clubs and parts of the country too.

That is why I am a 'glass half full' supporter at present (other than wanting Rod to do the necessary) - the club has done a lot in the background this season (in a few short months) to change the whole complexion.

All you have to do is compare and contrast the Hamilton game and The Rangers game - last season in defeat fans were protesting, spitting venom towards the board and players............this season in defeat (albeit we won the game), applauding the players effort and the management team/board, singing 'Sunshine on Leith' full pelt.........that is not a fanbase who reward/applaud failure in my book......that is a fanbase who truly appreciate the club, players and management's efforts to turn this club around.

Just need another season ticket burst - I think we will get around 8000-8500 come pre-season. If we also get players signed early, and all have a really good pre-season - I think we will take some stopping.

truehibernian
25-05-2015, 09:11 AM
It is doing well but can be doing so much better, alas with any academy it is only potential at this minute.

When I say it can be doing better. I watched the semi final through in Greenock and Celtic absolutely destroyed us.

We've more than matched Celtic in recent years but the difference in strength, power, fitness and ability was there for all to see. The players at Celtic are clearly all buying in to the ethos that Deila and co have been trying to impose on their squad.

I was very impressed by them and whilst the Hibs Development team have improved further under McBride there's a long way to go before they can justify first team positions.

That is, however, what a development team means and the fact that many of them have signed up for next year shows that Hibs have confidence in their abilities to develop and nurture them in to players who can wear the Hibs strip with pride.

Good post but money also comes into it - I was told a couple of years ago that the Celtic youth set up (in player salaries) is equal to the sum of all other clubs squads - I kid you not.

Of course you are 100% correct with the fitness, professionalism ethos - but not many at Celtic come through to their full team - and if they do it's fleeting then loans and release.

I wouldn't be recommending a youth player signing for Celtic - not if they want a chance to break through and get first team football. Aberdeen had the right idea under Willie Miller's guidance a few years ago - four corners of the country, area scouting, build a strong youth set up - and it is the one bearing most fruit for me. Dundee Utd have done well in the lower league scouting market.

andrew70
25-05-2015, 09:29 AM
Good post but money also comes into it - I was told a couple of years ago that the Celtic youth set up (in player salaries) is equal to the sum of all other clubs squads - I kid you not.

Of course you are 100% correct with the fitness, professionalism ethos - but not many at Celtic come through to their full team - and if they do it's fleeting then loans and release.

I wouldn't be recommending a youth player signing for Celtic - not if they want a chance to break through and get first team football. Aberdeen had the right idea under Willie Miller's guidance a few years ago - four corners of the country, area scouting, build a strong youth set up - and it is the one bearing most fruit for me. Dundee Utd have done well in the lower league scouting market.

Agree with all of that, Hibs are slowly utilising a system where we will soon be able to tap in to best youth players all across the country.

Logistics are being taken in to question when it comes to youth players travelling etc but they are also being very good and understanding with the young players in question.

From Dumfries to the North East they are doing what they can to keep an eye on every player they can.

The system isn't rigid though and players will be missed especially, as you say, through money but there won't be a player we don't know about soon.

jdships
25-05-2015, 10:36 AM
The smart word from a couple of the senior players last week was " Watch Lewis Allan over the next couple of years "
Seems to be highly thought of by many at ER
:thumbsup:

truehibernian
25-05-2015, 10:51 AM
The smart word from a couple of the senior players last week was " Watch Lewis Allan over the next couple of years "

I was surprised at how quick he is - very strong looking lad but he really does have a turn of foot over 10-15 yards. At Dunfermline he seemed to be playing the forward line all on his own - one minute out wide, next through the middle, dropping deep - I don't think it was the best loan move for him. Added to this was they were awful.

He reminds me of Frank McDougall ex Saints and Dons.

steviehibsleith
25-05-2015, 10:53 AM
There is a huge step between playing in the development league and playing in the Championship. Stanton and Handling look exceptional while playing development level but are struggling at first team this shows the difference. Some teams play very young players at under 20s to progress them 15/16 yo so just because a player looks good against them doesnt mean they are ready to go into the first team.

jdships
25-05-2015, 10:56 AM
I was surprised at how quick he is - very strong looking lad but he really does have a turn of foot over 10-15 yards. At Dunfermline he seemed to be playing the forward line all on his own - one minute out wide, next through the middle, dropping deep - I don't think it was the best loan move for him. Added to this was they were awful.

He reminds me of Frank McDougall ex Saints and Dons.

I've only seen him twice biut like you was "suitably impressed "
Think his Dunfermline loan may just have shown him a different side to the game of football.
Playing in 2nd Div means playing against some " seasoned pro's" which wouldn't do him any harm at all !
:greengrin

number9dream
25-05-2015, 10:57 AM
Interesting about Crane and Dunsmore, since it's not so long ago Baptie and Black were being tipped to break through. We could really do with a couple stepping up next season since guys like Stanton, Handling and Harris have stalled...

Unseen work
25-05-2015, 04:52 PM
There is a huge step between playing in the development league and playing in the Championship. Stanton and Handling look exceptional while playing development level but are struggling at first team this shows the difference. Some teams play very young players at under 20s to progress them 15/16 yo so just because a player looks good against them doesnt mean they are ready to go into the first team.

i dont think handling and stanton struggle in the slightest, i just think they are getting such little game time as we have brilliant options in midfield, they wouold start at alot of premiership teams imo

steviehibsleith
25-05-2015, 05:32 PM
i dont think handling and stanton struggle in the slightest, i just think they are getting such little game time as we have brilliant options in midfield, they wouold start at alot of premiership teams imo
I think you are way off the mark if you think they would start in a lot of the SPL teams ,there limited game time is down to there performances playing in the Championship against Championship players .

KingFranck
25-05-2015, 06:43 PM
Dunsy,Crane,Duthie, Sinclair,Martin and Aaron Scott we're going to have some team in the future for sure !!Aaron was released from that mob in maroon their loss he's a talented lad

Mikey09
25-05-2015, 07:50 PM

Ive been to watch quite a few development games as my mates boy plays for them and Lewis Allan seems to me to be the one who could step up. I think we may see a lot more of him next season. He's a big strong lad who can look after himself on the park so physically would handle anything he came up against. Was always impressed with Dunsmore when we played the then EOS side twice in the space of a week in cup ties at east mains. From what I've seen, the future looks very good.

B.H.F.C
25-05-2015, 07:58 PM
Only saw two development games all season and Callum Crane stood out both times. Remember seeing him at East Fife in pre season last year as well and he played well that night as well. Good left peg on him.

I heard there is high hopes for Martin and he's certainly been the one that seems to be in and around the first team squad most. He's never had long enough on the pitch when he's got on to make an impression though.

Unseen work
25-05-2015, 10:42 PM
I think you are way off the mark if you think they would start in a lot of the SPL teams ,there limited game time is down to there performances playing in the Championship against Championship players .

I think bottom 6 teams, they would be there or there abouts. Both really good young players who have had limited options due to the fact Robertson/fyvie/mcgeouch/Allan have all done brilliant.

Godsahibby
26-05-2015, 09:32 AM
So the future is looking bright. Thanks for the replies

liamh2202
26-05-2015, 09:36 AM

I actually thought handling was outstanding at the beginning of the season

jacomo
26-05-2015, 09:50 AM

But surely a smaller gap to Championship than to Premiership?

If there is a silver lining to not getting promoted, maybe it is greater opportunities for young players in the 1st team next season. On the other hand, we might be relying on them more if we can't afford to keep so many players!

Mark79
26-05-2015, 09:58 AM
Who from the development team has been let go? Anyone know? I heard Martyniuk has.

andrew70
26-05-2015, 10:21 AM
Who from the development team has been let go? Anyone know? I heard Martyniuk has.

AFAIK Neil has been let go which if asked a few months ago I would have been quite surprised at but having seen him play for Berwick during his loan spell and his subsequent performance against Celtic in the Youth Cup I can understand why.

For a player who regularly looks so assured at Dev team level he was shaky, nervy and bullied in the game I witnessed down at Shielfield Park. Clyde played a direct and physical game, Neil struggled to deal with this and his passing was erratic although I came away giving him the benefit of the doubt due to a swirling wind.

Against Celtic - he was thrust straight back in to the team as Callum Crane was suspended which meant Kevin Waugh went to left back. Celtic were utterly dominant but on the night his postioning was suspect and he failed to take command, I did wonder if the fact he wasn't being a offered a deal was behind his slack performance.

I think the majority of the lads around the Dev team squad this year have been offered new deals or in Jordan McGregor's case still have a year left to run.

They'll continue to work with limited numbers to ensure the guys in the squad get more than enough chance to play and develop.

Mark79
26-05-2015, 10:44 AM
AFAIK Neil has been let go which if asked a few months ago I would have been quite surprised at but having seen him play for Berwick during his loan spell and his subsequent performance against Celtic in the Youth Cup I can understand why.

For a player who regularly looks so assured at Dev team level he was shaky, nervy and bullied in the game I witnessed down at Shielfield Park. Clyde played a direct and physical game, Neil struggled to deal with this and his passing was erratic although I came away giving him the benefit of the doubt due to a swirling wind.

Against Celtic - he was thrust straight back in to the team as Callum Crane was suspended which meant Kevin Waugh went to left back. Celtic were utterly dominant but on the night his postioning was suspect and he failed to take command, I did wonder if the fact he wasn't being a offered a deal was behind his slack performance.

I think the majority of the lads around the Dev team squad this year have been offered new deals or in Jordan McGregor's case still have a year left to run.

They'll continue to work with limited numbers to ensure the guys in the squad get more than enough chance to play and develop.

Cheers. I believe he was on trial at st johnstone last week. Just dont mind hearing we had let him go.

andrew70
26-05-2015, 10:46 AM
Cheers. I believe he was on trial at st johnstone last week. Just dont mind hearing we had let him go.

Good luck to him, hope he gets a new deal soon.

I'd imagine we'll get a full released list soon as Stubbs attempts to utilise his budget as best he can