PDA

View Full Version : Honest expectations from the season gone!

Kaiserclem
24-05-2015, 07:36 PM
I am reading a lot of posts regarding a small number on her saying we are accepting us not gaining promotion etc. what a load of rubbish.

if we are all brutally honest, starting the season in the state our club was in, on and off the park, and finishing that season in 2nd place and getting beat 2-1 on aggregate by Sevco is more than I expected. We had no team, Stubbsy had 2-3 weeks to get a team together and I think they done terrific. We were in a league with Sevco who have a bigger playing budget and wether we like it or not are a massive club. Hearts strolled the league because they had a year to plan for it so no complaints there from me. Hearts are a bigger club than us and their fans turn out in higher numbers than us, again hurts but it's true, so we need to be honest that promotion was always going to be tough with the state we were in at the start. All that added with the improved communications and interaction with fans has been tremendous.

Well done hibs!

lord bunberry
24-05-2015, 07:41 PM
I am reading a lot of posts regarding a small number on her saying we are accepting us not gaining promotion etc. what a load of rubbish.

if we are all brutally honest, starting the season in the state our club was in, on and off the park, and finishing that season in 2nd place and getting beat 2-1 on aggregate by Sevco is more than I expected. We had no team, Stubbsy had 2-3 weeks to get a team together and I think they done terrific. We were in a league with Sevco who have a bigger playing budget and wether we like it or not are a massive club. Hearts strolled the league because they had a year to plan for it so no complaints there from me. Hearts are a bigger club than us and their fans turn out in higher numbers than us, again hurts but it's true, so we need to be honest that promotion was always going to be tough with the state we were in at the start. All that added with the improved communications and interaction with fans has been tremendous.

Well done hibs!
Leeann Dempster said our aim was to win the league. I don't think anyone is accepting mediocrity, but I do think that the season has been a failure. There's lots of positivity around the club at the moment and we need to harness that and hit the ground running next year.

we are hibs
24-05-2015, 07:45 PM
I expected us to win the league. People seem to forget how big a club we actually are. We were in a league with hearts and Rangers not barca and Real Madrid!

Steve20
24-05-2015, 07:45 PM
We should have aimed from promotion. Anything less was failure.

judas
24-05-2015, 08:05 PM

Well done hibs!

I agree with you.

Butcher and Fenlon left us with trash and I thought we could languish mid table.

I think Stubbs has produced a cultured side, but one lacking a cutting edge. It's a work in progress, but I feel fairly certain that we will overcome.

My_Wife_Camille
24-05-2015, 08:10 PM
Failing to gain promotion was just as big a failure as getting relegated in the first place.

Pete
24-05-2015, 08:11 PM
Failing to gain promotion was just as big a failure as getting relegated in the first place.

The two aren't even in the same ball park.

MyJo
24-05-2015, 08:13 PM

Utter bollocks.

Golden Bear
24-05-2015, 08:19 PM
There are already a couple of similar threads with the same opinions expressed by the same few posters. Or am I imagining things?

JimBHibees
24-05-2015, 08:20 PM

Laughable comment. Trolling for fun.

JimBHibees
24-05-2015, 08:21 PM
There are already a couple of similar threads with the same opinions expressed by the same few posters. Or am I imagining things?

Yep. Some yam cockroaches i think.

B.H.F.C
24-05-2015, 08:24 PM
Promotion. The club said the same. Therefore we failed to meet our objective. I'm still happy for Stubbs to have another crack given what he inherited. That said, what he inherited didn't contribute to us failing to win the games that mattered IMO.

cabbageandribs1875
24-05-2015, 08:29 PM

Well done hibs!

aw man :faf:

Ozyhibby
24-05-2015, 08:34 PM

That's just not true. Not even close.
This season has ended in failure but nowhere near the magnitude of last seasons disgrace.

andrew70
24-05-2015, 08:37 PM
At the start of the season, I honestly felt we'd be in this division for 3 or 4 years! As August ended I was extremely worried. September through to January invigorated myself and many others when it came to all things Hibs. The ending was perhaps the limit of what I felt we could have achieved at the beginning of the season.

I don't think it's fair to the players, the management or anyone else involved to underestimate the complete and utter shambles that we were.

A full pre-season, a settled squad (by that I mean most business conducted early) and a years experience for Stubbs sees me re-assess things and we must win this league next year. Anything else and we will indeed be stuck down here for a while.

Broken Gnome
24-05-2015, 08:39 PM
We were ninth when we beat Rangers at Ibrox.

People were contemplating a playoff to stay out of League One when Alloa beat us.

Losing the playoff was a failure, but to be favourites to beat Rangers was way beyond what many people thought was possible in September.

JJP
24-05-2015, 08:46 PM
I pretty much expected what happened. I thought there was little chance of us going straight back up and only started to believe we possibly could after we defeated Rangers twice. I expected before a ball was kicked this season that Rangers would end up winning the league and we would probably end up losing in the play offs to Hearts. Season went better than I expected but ultimately the outcome was still the same and we are in the Championship for another year. Nothing we can do about it now so we just have to hope we can gain promotion next year. The circumstances of our relegation and having the unusual situation of having to compete with Hearts and Rangers to get back up has made the task more difficult and ultimately the club has failed. Ofcourse there are reasons we have failed but isn't there always? We have been done by our rivals again and our supporters are hurting again. There is nothing wrong with that though. Some will take this set back better than others. I myself am disappointed but not ready to throw in the towel. I can understand anyone who is angry and frustrated though as the club has let us down as a support so spectacularly over the last few years and it doesn't surprise me that others are losing their patience with it. We are going to have to get promoted this coming season by hook or by crook. We simply must. I can't see many accepting a third year in this division.

SquashedFrogg
24-05-2015, 08:50 PM
We should have aimed from promotion. Anything less was failure.

But we did aim for promotion?

We were up against Hearts and Rangers teams which were well ahead in planning for this season and in the end weren't a million miles from achieving promotion.

Think of where we were this time a year ago?

Eyrie
24-05-2015, 09:43 PM
I expected Sevco Huns to win the division and us to finish second, then get promoted through the playoffs.

The Yams strong run was unexpected, as was just how badly Sevco Huns were managed which wrecked my predictions. I'm disappointed that we failed to get promoted but there is plenty of evidence to believe that we will go up next season by winning the division (assuming that Sevco Huns beat Motherwell).

Kaiserclem
24-05-2015, 09:46 PM
At the start of the season, I honestly felt we'd be in this division for 3 or 4 years! As August ended I was extremely worried. September through to January invigorated myself and many others when it came to all things Hibs. The ending was perhaps the limit of what I felt we could have achieved at the beginning of the season.

I don't think it's fair to the players, the management or anyone else involved to underestimate the complete and utter shambles that we were.

A full pre-season, a settled squad (by that I mean most business conducted early) and a years experience for Stubbs sees me re-assess things and we must win this league next year. Anything else and we will indeed be stuck down here for a while.

Toally agree

FranckSuzy
24-05-2015, 09:47 PM
I expected us to win the league. People seem to forget how big a club we actually are. We were in a league with hearts and Rangers not barca and Real Madrid!

:hmmm:

Sir David Gray
24-05-2015, 09:53 PM

I'm really unsure where to even begin with this post.

monktonharp
24-05-2015, 10:00 PM
I always felt, that we'd finish second and we did. downside is of course that the gorgie mob finished above us. I thought it would be The Rangers.

J-C
24-05-2015, 10:01 PM
Our biggest mistake was taking so long to get shot of Butcher and bringing in Stubbs and his backroom staff, this meant we were 5-6 weeks behind everyone and played catch up until around January, our form after then suggests we would've been very near the top, if not winning the league. The blame for this sits squarely on the shoulders of Rod Petrie who should've had the balls to sack Butcher the day afer the Hamilton game, instead he waited and let LD do his dirty work.

When we seen the disaster of last seson and the slow start to this, then getting a play off place was a gimme, no one expected Hertz to run away with it and no one else expected Rangers to be so bad, with having such a small squad, injuries and suspensions were always going to be a problem. This may be the main reason for not being able to change things when needed, we were always 2 men short of having the perfect squad, no DM and no outright AM, instead we had 4-5 midfielders all pretty similar and doing the same thing.

We are now sitting in a far better position where we have a manager in place who is trying to play the game in the proper manner, if he can get his business done early we should be flying at the start of the season

monktonharp
24-05-2015, 10:04 PM
Our biggest mistake was taking so long to get shot of Butcher and bringing in Stubbs and his backroom staff, this meant we were 5-6 weeks behind everyone and played catch up until around January, our form after then suggests we would've been very near the top, if not winning the league. The blame for this sits squarely on the shoulders of Rod Petrie who should've had the balls to sack Butcher the day afer the Hamilton game, instead he waited and let LD do his dirty work.

When we seen the disaster of last seson and the slow start to this, then getting a play off place was a gimme, no one expected Hertz to run away with it and no one else expected Rangers to be so bad, with having such a small squad, injuries and suspensions were always going to be a problem. This may be the main reason for not being able to change things when needed, we were always 2 men short of having the perfect squad, no DM and no outright AM, instead we had 4-5 midfielders all pretty similar and doing the same thing.

We are now sitting in a far better position where we have a manager in place who is trying to play the game in the proper manner, if he can get his business done early we should be flying at the start of the seasonAlways assuming he is still with us, come the new season

J-C
24-05-2015, 10:10 PM
Always assuming he is still with us, come the new season

And why wouldn't he be, or is this another downbeat post to make everyone feel depressed. :confused:

CallumLaidlaw
24-05-2015, 10:23 PM
After the defeat to Hamilton, I was genuinely concerned about this season - we were utter dross for months. As the season started you could see what Stubbs was trying to do but we just weren't sharp and after the defeat at Alloa, you had to worry about us getting anywhere near the playoffs.
The turnaround since has been superb, and to go from where we were to where we finished was an achievement in its self.
When we went down I was convinced we'd be spending at least 2 seasons in this division. The last few months gave me some belief that we'd do it first time, but now we just need to make sure it's only 2 seasons in the championship.

MWHIBBIES
24-05-2015, 10:28 PM
All I wanted was to enjoy going to see my team again. I can safely say that is the case.

jacomo
24-05-2015, 10:57 PM
Leeann Dempster said our aim was to win the league. I don't think anyone is accepting mediocrity, but I do think that the season has been a failure. There's lots of positivity around the club at the moment and we need to harness that and hit the ground running next year.

:agree:

We were in such a mess at the end of last season that it took ages to get going.

We will be much better prepared next season.

timewilltell
24-05-2015, 11:19 PM

Nonsense!!

Smartie
24-05-2015, 11:27 PM
All I wanted was to enjoy going to see my team again. I can safely say that is the case.

There's a lot to be said for that to be honest.

I remember years ago (I think it was) the new Belgium manager was asked what he hoped to achieve during his time in charge of their national team.

He said "I want the Belgian public to fall in love with football again".

To put it simply Stubbs has me looking forward to going to games again. And that hadn't been the case for years.

Yep, it would have been nice to go up but it wasn't to be.

There were many mitigating circumstances that led to us falling short in the end. They will not apply next year though and we can all expect us to do better.

Hibeesmad
24-05-2015, 11:54 PM
I expected Rangers to win the league and us to face Hearts in the play offs. I didn't expect us to have two good cup runs.

Onion
25-05-2015, 04:17 AM
LD stated early on that Hibs aim was to win the league, and it was. Nothing wrong with that but it was never going to happen given the horrendous state the club was in when she said it. To reach the SC semi-final and beat Sevco to 2nd in the league is a remarkable achievement. We came up short when it really mattered which is nothing to be celebrated or ashamed of. We need to draw a line under this season, continue to strengthen the squad/club and make sure we're better prepared for next season's title challenge. It's essential we win it, anything else is failure.

Septimus
25-05-2015, 06:08 AM
Perhaps I am wrong but it seemed to me that we did well enough against Hearts and Rangers during the season but failed to impose our superior clout against the Queen of the Souths, Raith Rovers and Falkirk's in the division. They will still be there this year and somehow we have to find a way to beat them convincingly in (dare I say it) the same way that the Jams did this season. The crowds will return when there is a winning team on the park but a fragile start to the season is the last thing that is required.

Hibs TV made sure that I did not see the poor start to the season that is now being frequently quoted as the reason for our failure to achieve promotion but I did see several games in the latter part where Hibs were hardly convincing.

Biggie
25-05-2015, 06:43 AM
I expected us to finish second to the Rangers......never saw the yams do what they did....

marleyhib
25-05-2015, 08:31 AM
I enjoyed this season more than the last 3 or 4. We've been inconsistent at times and lacked strength in depth which was to be expected with the time Stubbs had to build a squad. Think Farid's injury was a major blow.

Allen, Fyvie and McGeough have been great additions, Fontiane a stand out, Cummings was the league's top scorer, Malonga was good until AFCON and Boyle was coming on to a game until he got injured.

Disappointed not to go up, however finishing second and above the Huns was decent.

I think we have the makings of a good team if we can hold on to most of our squad. Would like to see decent cover for Gray and a new left back and more pace in the squad.

We need supporters to buy season tickets to allow us to improve, otherwise our hands may be tied.

Betty Boop
25-05-2015, 09:33 AM
Never expected to finish 21 points behind our rivals across the city. Horrendous !

Just_Jimmy
25-05-2015, 09:38 AM
We lost a semi final to a team below us in the league and a chance to play a non OF team in the final. The result was a huge miss on much needed extra cash and a potential euro tie added to that.

We lost a 2 leg playoff against a team below us in the league, who had 3 shots on target in two games. We pumped said team on three occasions over the season.

The very MINIMUM given our situation should have been a playoff final and a Cup final.

We failed. I think we'll be back stronger and i'm not putting down the effort and changes that have taken place but the fact is we are still in this ****ty league.

Callum_62
25-05-2015, 09:43 AM
We lost a 2 leg playoff against a team below us in the league, who had 3 shots on target in two games. We pumped said team on three occasions over the season.

according to the BBC - we had 7 shots on target on Saturday alone

J-C
25-05-2015, 09:50 AM

We pumped Rangers 3 times due to the fact they were managed by 2 terrible managers, McCall has made a huge difference to them and they played like the Rangers we all expected to play, organised and difficult to beat. We played fairly well in the 1st game and got beat by 2 poor goals and we were unkucky not to score 3-4 on saturday.

greenlex
25-05-2015, 11:01 AM
I expected us to struggle the first season down so I'm quite upbeat. Actually enjoying Hibs agan.. Need to kick on now next season now.

Bristolhibby
25-05-2015, 11:06 AM
I know it's just "soor plooms" but playoffs are a joke.

2 up, 2 down. Let the season decide.

J

familyman
25-05-2015, 11:12 AM

Well done hibs!
Yes ok I agree with all of that, but we must move on and upward so a change in thinking is needed.As we sadly failed to beat a pretty poor Rangers team while having two attempts to do so, it is clear scoring and playing well against even poorer teams is acceptable ,BUT when there is no or little time or room due to oppositions superior tactical experience we struggle.In fact while we know there are two defensive areas in our team that cause some concern ESPECIALLY playing against higher level teams, the main thing remains a CLINICAL HIGH LEVEL GOALSCORER..That is why we fail when it matters and why we are not promoted or in the cup final...The lack of ambition re trying to buy Griffiths in the past is something we still may have as a management mind set ,so we need to BLOW that away.The new fans on the board will I hope put forward that point that we need to raise the quality in the crucial area or else we come unstuck when it really matters..that means £..stands to reason another season in this league is no money spinner..so we must do whatever it takes NOW.

s.a.m
25-05-2015, 11:14 AM

J

:agree: Me too. And it's no soor plooms wi me - I've always thought that!:greengrin
If not a straight 2 up / 2 down, I'd rather it was a straight play-off between 2nd top and 2nd bottom. Like you,though, I think quality (or lack of) over the season should decide. I'm not comfortable with a cup type competition to decide whose jobs are under threat; the stakes are too high. Adds proper drama, but the idea that a club which comes a comfortable 4th could, with a bit of the rub of the green, go up at the expense of clubs who have proved their worth over the season, doesn't sit right with me either.

J-C
25-05-2015, 11:16 AM

J

I've nothing against play offs but I'd like to see the bottom 2 come down and a play offs with 2nd-5th like they have in England.

Hiber-nation
25-05-2015, 11:24 AM

Spot on.

Alfred E Newman
25-05-2015, 11:48 AM

Yep. It's the usual suspects. If they are so disillusioned with the club I don't know why they don't just pack it in. To say that nothing has changed in the past year is just utter nonsense.

Turkish Green
25-05-2015, 12:10 PM

We were in such a mess at the end of last season that it took ages to get going.

We will be much better prepared next season.

At the beginning of this season (and due to our poor start), I doubted Hibs would even get into the Play-offs. But after the 4-0 defeat of Sevco in December and the run of 15 games undefeated I believed Stubbs had solved his problems with the formation and tactics.

But results/performances in March and April were poor and the Cup SF was even poorer. in the end McCall proved to be a wiser and more experienced manager than Stubbs.

Stubbs may be better prepared but next season will very much depend on the make-up of the squad. Will Scott Allan still be at ER?

SlickShoes
25-05-2015, 12:19 PM
At the very start of the season I thought it would be between us and Hearts.

After watching hibs play a couple of times in pre season I was worried, then the season started and my expectations went from 2nd to surviving a second relegation.

At that Alloa game when we lost 2-1 and we lost Farid for the rest of the season I was very worried. Stubbs solved that problem fantastically and turned us into a real football team.

I was hoping for promotion via the play offs but never expected it and at one point thought the best chance we had was sneaking in at 4th place.

For next season, if we don't win the league it will be a failure, if we don't get promoted at all it will be catastrophic.

Sudds_1
25-05-2015, 12:29 PM

nail firmly on the head!:agree:

The_Horde
25-05-2015, 12:35 PM

Sadly, this is how I feel too. I'm not proud of the boys "effort", I'm pissed off that they lacked the desire and heart to win in a big game yet again.

Just exactly like being relegated again, for me. Sickening.

Matt92
25-05-2015, 12:35 PM
I think we have a lot of positives to take away from last season.

We went from a club in utter freefall under Butchers reign where we suffered a shock (but completely deserved) final day relegation. A total overhaul of the board, management and playing staff was undertaken in a matter of weeks. Our entire core had to be replaced in a matter of weeks whilst our "nearest competitors": Rangers [2 and a half years to prepare for this route] and Hearts [1 year to prepare for this route] had settled squads, settled management and knew exactly what they were going for.

This season, we ended up being the second best team in the division and getting there by playing (often) nice football. We were second (by some margin) to a good hearts team and finished above a financially-goliath Rangers. We were unlucky in the play-offs (always a gamble) where you feel had that been over 4 games, 10 games, 20 games...a season...we would be the team going through to that play-off final.

We have a solid platform to build on all summer, we have young players who now have more experience, as if we can get a prolific striker to come in alongside El Algui (who would have been pivotal for us had he not missed 3/4 the season) and a winger...we will be in a good position to win this next year, Rangers or no Rangers.

My expectations for this season a year ago were 5th (possibly scraping 4th) so been pleasantly surprised. A club like ours should NEVER be in this position, but I am afraid some supporters need a reality check as this is where we are at.

greenlex
25-05-2015, 01:03 PM
Sadly, this is how I feel too. I'm not proud of the boys "effort", I'm pissed off that they lacked the desire and heart to win in a big game yet again.

Aptly named.

The_Horde
25-05-2015, 01:15 PM
Aptly named.

Here we go with the username discrimination again.

Smartie
25-05-2015, 01:22 PM

I wouldn't say it's username discrimination.

I sometimes get pulled up when I'm talking pish too.

J-C
25-05-2015, 01:23 PM

Then don't use a username which is an easy target for people, call yourself Lunatic and any post that are akin to your name, folk will make fun of it, some folk are thick as........:confused:

Scottie
25-05-2015, 01:26 PM
You've no got enough posts to your name to be safe from the uber fans wrath for having a different opinion than theirs. :agree:

This is is why so many past posters have given this place a wide berth for a while now as as soon as your opinion goes against the grain your shouted down for being a Yam or a roaster. :rolleyes:

J-C
25-05-2015, 01:29 PM
You've no got enough posts to your name to be safe from the uber fans wrath for having a different opinion than theirs. :agree:

This is is why so many past posters have given this place a wide berth for a while now as as soon as your opinion goes against the grain your shouted down for being a Yam or a roaster. :rolleyes:

Just under 10,000 posts and been a member around 10 years, I think he's entitled to his opinion on this forum, just change the name.

Scottie
25-05-2015, 01:32 PM
Just under 10,000 posts and been a member around 10 years, I think he's entitled to his opinion on this forum, just change the name.
Why should he change his user name though if people are to quick or thick to name call him despite his high post count. :confused:

Smartie
25-05-2015, 01:32 PM

I don't think anyone was doing that.

He posted a fairly controversial opinion - fair enough, that is his opinion.

But you can't slate our failings over the past few games as being down to a lack of desire and heart to win a big game without expecting to be challenged by someone, somewhere.

And if the easiest way for someone to do that it to gently mock in some way then so be it.

pennyhibee
25-05-2015, 01:33 PM
Didn't really have much expectations after last season and crap pre season but Stubbs improved us and think we needed couple of players who could mix it up a bit like hearts and rangers had in their sides

Scottie
25-05-2015, 01:35 PM
I don't think anyone was doing that.

He posted a fairly controversial opinion - fair enough, that is his opinion.

But you can't slate our failings over the past few games as being down to a lack of desire and heart to win a big game without expecting to be challenged by someone, somewhere.

And if the easiest way for someone to do that it to gently mock in some way then so be it.
Fair enough but look through most threads over the last couple of years and most will have accusations of someone being a roaster or Yam if your opinion is not a popular one.

J-C
25-05-2015, 01:35 PM
Why should he change his user name though if people are to quick or thick to name call him despite his high post count. :confused:

He's moaning about his username being mocked, change the bloody thing then, if you call yourself a lunatic and post controversial posts, people will mock the name Lunatic.

Smartie
25-05-2015, 01:41 PM
Fair enough but look through most threads over the last couple of years and most will have accusations of someone being a roaster or Yam if your opinion is not a popular one.

You have a point there and it does my nut in too. Lazily labelling folk Yams is rubbish, very different to arguing a point or even just voicing disagreement with the point made.

I had a heated exchange with someone on here a few months ago after a honking result, I think we were "debating" the merits of Liam Craig at the time. It was a bit heated and we ended up deleting most of our posts/ had them deleted for us.

In one of his posts he suggested that I should change my username to "Spangle" which once I'd cooled down I realised was one of the funniest posts I'd seen anyone make in weeks.

The_Horde
25-05-2015, 01:51 PM
The lunatic 7 is actually nothing to do wh being a lunatic and is actually what my dad had put on the back my 2001 hibs home top. A play on luna's name.

The_Horde
25-05-2015, 01:52 PM
But anyway, That's about the 40000000th post thats mentioned my username. Or the "lunatic has taken over the asylum" or "lunatic by name" bla bla .. It's very unoriginal.

Scottie
25-05-2015, 02:18 PM
You have a point there and it does my nut in too. Lazily labelling folk Yams is rubbish, very different to arguing a point or even just voicing disagreement with the point made.
:top marks

marinello59
25-05-2015, 02:20 PM
But anyway, That's about the 40000000th post thats mentioned my username. Or the "lunatic has taken over the asylum" or "lunatic by name" bla bla .. It's very unoriginal.

What do you expect on a fitba fans forum, subtle?:greengrin
If somebody throws real abuse at you then report it and it will be dealt with. I don't think for a second you would have changed your user name to that if you were overly delicate about it being used to take the mickey a bit though.

The_Horde
25-05-2015, 02:30 PM
What do you expect on a fitba fans forum, subtle?:greengrin
If somebody throws real abuse at you then report it and it will be dealt with. I don't think for a second you would have changed your user name to that if you were overly delicate about it being used to take the mickey a bit though.

I'm not offended in the slightest. I'm amused that people think they're being uniquely funny when, in reality, they're as unorginal as the last 20 folk who said it. Just for having a different view.

marinello59
25-05-2015, 02:42 PM
I'm not offended in the slightest. I'm amused that people think they're being uniquely funny when, in reality, they're as unorginal as the last 20 folk who said it. Just for having a different view.

I'm sure your big enough and ugly enough to keep arguing your case. Ya *******loony. :greengrin

Just_Jimmy
25-05-2015, 03:16 PM
according to the BBC - we had 7 shots on target on Saturday alone

How many did the team that finished blow us have? Since that is what I said...

The_Horde
25-05-2015, 03:53 PM
I'm sure your big enough and ugly enough to keep arguing your case. Ya *******loony. :greengrin

Great so now im being called ugly too.

Hibs.net has become such an angry place..

marinello59
25-05-2015, 03:58 PM
Great so now im being called ugly too.

Hibs.net has become such an angry place..

:greengrin

Keith_M
25-05-2015, 04:10 PM
I could be really petty and quote some of the posters that predicted in August that we were more likely to be playing in the Relegation rather than the Promotion Play Offs, but I won't

:wink:

Suffice it to say, that kind of talk was a result of the state we were in at the beginning of the season and the terrible start we endured.

Given that, I'm sure most people would have very much doubted that we could have finished second.

snooky
25-05-2015, 04:24 PM
I bet the doomers read the thread title as Honest expectations from the season? - gone! I know I did :wink:
Basically I don't have too big a thing about which league we're in as long as the team turns up and plays proper football. Anything more is a bonus.

greenlex
25-05-2015, 04:25 PM

I'll retract the "lunatic" jibe when you can point out to me at what point over the two legs we showed lack of desire or heart. Nothing to do with having a different opinion but just one that is so far off the mark that it's just plain crazy. Lack of ability I'll give you but that's about it.

greenlex
25-05-2015, 05:48 PM

If you believe the same as lunatic 7 you could maybe change your name to half pist.

Andy74
25-05-2015, 05:57 PM
Yep. Some yam cockroaches i think.

No idea why 3 or 4 of these posters are still here.

The_Horde
25-05-2015, 06:38 PM
I'll retract the "lunatic" jibe when you can point out to me at what point over the two legs we showed lack of desire or heart. Nothing to do with having a different opinion but just one that is so far off the mark that it's just plain crazy. Lack of ability I'll give you but that's about it.

When teams get in our faces and defend we don't have the fight to take it to them. Rangers were throwing bodies on the line left and centre for the cause and we didn't have an answer. At the time when we just needed someone to be brave and stick their head, leg, shoulder.. Anything on the end of a cross and get in front of their man we couldn't manage it.

Good teams make it happen. See hearts this season.. Behind to your rivals? Rivals playing well? Then bang one in from 20+ yards if you have to. Just for God sake don't get beat.

Gordy M
25-05-2015, 06:45 PM
When teams get in our faces and defend we don't have the fight to take it to them. Rangers were throwing bodies on the line left and centre for the cause and we didn't have an answer. At the time when we just needed someone to be brave and stick their head, leg, shoulder.. Anything on the end of a cross and get in front of their man we couldn't manage it.

Good teams make it happen. See hearts this season.. Behind to your rivals? Rivals playing well? Then bang one in from 20+ yards if you have to. Just for God sake don't get beat.
Sorry but if thats the definition of 'bottling it' then that applies to any team who have ever lost a game of football?

B.H.F.C
25-05-2015, 06:54 PM
Sorry but if thats the definition of 'bottling it' then that applies to any team who have ever lost a game of football?

I've been critical of them for the results in both the SC semi final and the playoff. But we definitely didn't bottle it. The players all got on the ball and tried to win the games.

We just weren't good enough and it wasn't down to lack of bottle. You just need to be ruthless in the big games and we weren't, defensively or going forward.

The_Horde
25-05-2015, 07:01 PM
I've been critical of them for the results in both the SC semi final and the playoff. But we definitely didn't bottle it. The players all got on the ball and tried to win the games.

We just weren't good enough and it wasn't down to lack of bottle. You just need to be ruthless in the big games and we weren't, defensively or going forward.

I never once said we bottled it.

I said we lacked desire and failed in a big game yet again. Lacking the required desire and lacking bravery are totally different things.

Scottie
25-05-2015, 07:03 PM
If you believe the same as lunatic 7 you could maybe change your name to half pist.
:aok: Maybe time the uber fan went back into his wardrobe. :wink:

The_Horde
25-05-2015, 07:03 PM
We just didn't do enough. We play good football and are brave and get on the ball but we lack the ability to get it done on the big occasion. We play well and hope it happens. But good teams don't hope it happens, they make it happen.

B.H.F.C
25-05-2015, 07:07 PM
I never once said we bottled it.

I said we lacked desire and failed in a big game yet again. Lacking the required desire and lacking bravery are totally different things.

Agree we failed in the big games again. But I don't agree that we lacked desire. The players desperately wanted to win and were on the front foot for much of the two games, or three of you include the cup game. We just lacked quality IMO.

J-C
25-05-2015, 07:13 PM
A lack of composure yes but not a lack of desire, this was more evident on saturday as I watched so many snatching at shots or going for long shots from distance and the ball sailing wide or straight to the keeper. Did the post, crossbar and a wonderful keeper display make us bottle merchants against Falkirk NO.

Super Leigh
25-05-2015, 07:21 PM
We just didn't do enough. We play good football and are brave and get on the ball but we lack the ability to get it done on the big occasion. We play well and hope it happens. But good teams don't hope it happens, they make it happen.

Despite the fantastic job Stubbs has done to turn us into a decent team, it has become apparent that this is the philosophy Stubbs takes into games. He doesn't seem to have the ability to change games when things are not going our way.

But he's still inexperienced and hopefully he knows where things have gone wrong. Our bench is not exactly the strongest either.

Pretty Boy
25-05-2015, 07:22 PM
The club stated our aim was promotion and we didn't' achieve that.

Tbh having got past the initial disappointment of Sunday I can accept that was always a big ask given how behind we were in our preparation. We simply must hit the ground running next season, no excuses.

CRAZYHIBBY
25-05-2015, 07:31 PM
I expected another season in the championship and here we are.....looking forward the title next season

Smartie
25-05-2015, 07:42 PM
Despite the fantastic job Stubbs has done to turn us into a decent team, it has become apparent that this is the philosophy Stubbs takes into games. He doesn't seem to have the ability to change games when things are not going our way.

But he's still inexperienced and hopefully he knows where things have gone wrong. Our bench is not exactly the strongest either.

How about on Saturday when we ended up with 4 strikers on the park, we went route one and eventually got a goal?

Ok, it wasn't enough but that was because we'd given ourselves too much to do from the first leg and we were trying to break down a well-drilled defence.

Stubbs is still learning and over the season I would say that your criticism might just about be justified. But I thought he shook it up on Saturday and did just about as much as could be expected with the players at his disposal.

blackpoolhibs
25-05-2015, 07:48 PM
There can be no excuses for next season, i keep hearing all about how Hertz had a season preparing for the championship.

Tick that one off.

Stubbs will have his team.

Tick that one off too.

No excuses.

Smartie
25-05-2015, 07:57 PM

I honestly don't think it was a lack of desire that stopped our players from doing those things, but I know what you mean when you want someone just to stick something on it.

They have to be in the right position in the first place though.

My biggest criticism of our players over the 2 games would be their movement in the final third. Far too many players would make similar runs, predictable runs and easy ones for the Rangers players to defend against. When we got the ball in decent positions we needed to pull their players around to create space for a man to receive the ball - this never happened. We often blame the player making the final ball but all to often they have nothing to hit.

There was one perfect example in the second half of the game the other day where we played a free-kick to the back post and Fontaine won a knockdown that went straight to the keeper. Instead of making a run across the front of the keeper to get the second ball Jason Cummings was jumping for the first ball with Fontaine. What was all that about?

We need to be more streetwise and make better runs (or get players in who do this). Nothing to do with desire or lack of it. Composure and mental strength maybe but not desire.

Super Leigh
25-05-2015, 08:16 PM
How about on Saturday when we ended up with 4 strikers on the park, we went route one and eventually got a goal?

Ok, it wasn't enough but that was because we'd given ourselves too much to do from the first leg and we were trying to break down a well-drilled defence.

Stubbs is still learning and over the season I would say that your criticism might just about be justified. But I thought he shook it up on Saturday and did just about as much as could be expected with the players at his disposal.

I should clarify I was talking more about the season in general. Saturday was an exception; we had 30 minutes left to keep our season alive, so he really had no choice but to throw on strikers.

Even then, I found his first substitution odd. When I saw the board go up I was 90% sure he would hook Malonga for El Alagui. Craig was fairly anonymous in the first half but I felt he came into the game a lot more and he allowed Allan to find more space in the second half. When Craig went off, Allan pulled out to the left, but he continued to cut inside into the central area where there were now more bodies, and less space. We didn't get to the byline enough which was probably our biggest problem, but enough on that.

I like the way our midfield looks under Stubbs. We really missed an outlet on the wings, but hopefully he has realised this and will sign a few wide players over the summer. A strong defence that doesn't leak goals would go a long way to making us a formidable side in the Championship next season.

Super Leigh
25-05-2015, 08:23 PM
I honestly don't think it was a lack of desire that stopped our players from doing those things, but I know what you mean when you want someone just to stick something on it.

My biggest criticism of our players over the 2 games would be their movement in the final third. Far too many players would make similar runs, predictable runs and easy ones for the Rangers players to defend against. When we got the ball in decent positions we needed to pull their players around to create space for a man to receive the ball - this never happened. We often blame the player making the final ball but all to often they have nothing to hit.

There was one perfect example in the second half of the game the other day where we played a free-kick to the back post and Fontaine won a knockdown that went straight to the keeper. Instead of making a run across the front of the keeper to get the second ball Jason Cummings was jumping for the first ball with Fontaine. What was all that about?

We need to be more streetwise and make better runs (or get players in who do this). Nothing to do with desire or lack of it. Composure and mental strength maybe but not desire.

Totally agree. The example you gave about that free kick sticks in my mind as well. It was getting to the point where I was asking myself whether the strikers actually practice making intelligent runs in training. Even a simple front post run, a Kenny Miller trademark that he nearly scored from in the first half, was missing a lot of the time. It was baffling at times to see the ball bounce in the box and for no Hibs player to even be near it, despite us having 4 out and out strikers on the pitch for 25 minutes or so.

Smartie
25-05-2015, 08:27 PM
I should clarify I was talking more about the season in general. Saturday was an exception; we had 30 minutes left to keep our season alive, so he really had no choice but to throw on strikers.

Even then, I found his first substitution odd. When I saw the board go up I was 90% sure he would hook Malonga for El Alagui. Craig was fairly anonymous in the first half but I felt he came into the game a lot more and he allowed Allan to find more space in the second half. When Craig went off, Allan pulled out to the left, but he continued to cut inside into the central area where there were now more bodies, and less space. We didn't get to the byline enough which was probably our biggest problem, but enough on that.

I like the way our midfield looks under Stubbs. We really missed an outlet on the wings, but hopefully he has realised this and will sign a few wide players over the summer. A strong defence that doesn't leak goals would go a long way to making us a formidable side in the Championship next season.

I agree with all of that.

Personally I've ben impressed with Stubbs' ability to learn from his mistakes this season. The one thing I think he still has to prove is that he can change tactics or use substitutions to change a game. I actually thought he did that on Saturday so felt I should stick up for him. Hopefully he can go on to did this more often next season.

The Craig sub was a strange one - I thought he was coming onto a game just when he went off. But I couldn't really see McGeoch, Allan or Fyvie coming off either so fair enough.

I agree that I didn't think the formation was necessarily the problem but Malonga did look a bit out of sorts on Saturday and would have thrown Farid on for him (and would have put him on after about an hour at Ibrox for Cummings).

You're spot on re the defence. It would be great to know that we could win the odd game in an ugly fashion by only scoring one. Or it would be nice to go into the last 10 minutes of a game with a 1-0 lead and not be absolutely bricking it that we'll drop 2 points with one error.

Eyrie
25-05-2015, 09:34 PM
A lack of composure yes but not a lack of desire, this was more evident on saturday as I watched so many snatching at shots or going for long shots from distance and the ball sailing wide or straight to the keeper. Did the post, crossbar and a wonderful keeper display make us bottle merchants against Falkirk NO.

And the goal that we scored was a result of Cummings showing composure to let the ball drop before placing his shot. That was encouraging for his development, because with less than two minutes left I don't think anyone would have blamed him for simply leathering it first time.

J-C
26-05-2015, 12:11 AM
And the goal that we scored was a result of Cummings showing composure to let the ball drop before placing his shot. That was encouraging for his development, because with less than two minutes left I don't think anyone would have blamed him for simply leathering it first time.

And how many chances did he miss before he scored that, jeezo 1 in 7 during a game is a bad stat to have, yes he scored 21 goals this season but like I said in another thread the conversion ratio between all the strikers was very poor this season, that is the reason we lost out.

Ronster117
26-05-2015, 01:16 PM
But we did aim for promotion?

We were up against Hearts and Rangers teams which were well ahead in planning for this season and in the end weren't a million miles from achieving promotion.

Think of where we were this time a year ago?

Our results against The rangers and the hertz didn't loose us winning the league, it was the results against the rest that was our downfall because we did better against our rivals than the teams we expected to beat. I think Hibernian is in better shape now than a year ago and next season I look forward to being champions.

CallumLaidlaw
26-05-2015, 01:53 PM
There can be no excuses for next season, i keep hearing all about how Hertz had a season preparing for the championship.

Tick that one off.

Stubbs will have his team.

Tick that one off too.

No excuses.

Totally agree. The only way winning the league wouldnt be the absolute minimum next season is if Rangers are still in the league with us and are allowed to spend money on a few players. If its Motherwell, then ANYTHING less than 1st place will be unacceptable (especially as, to try and cheer my boy up on Saturday, I told him that he had a good chance of seeing us WIN the league next year. He'll hold me to that!)

JimBHibees
26-05-2015, 02:46 PM

Totally agree with that the movement of the forwards wasnt great and the example you gave is a very good one as where else was Fontaine going to put it. The number of crosses going into the box without a forward making a near post run was criminal to be honest. The brilliant ball in by Allan early doors could have been a goal if Malonga had made a front post run rather than hoping the defender missed it. We made it quite easy for them to defend the front post with uncontested headers.

Also late on when Farid was winning headers, many times the 3 forwards on at that time didnt anticipate he was going to win the header and run off him.

cmcd
26-05-2015, 03:39 PM

You are well named

greenlex
26-05-2015, 04:14 PM
You are well named

Oh My.😀

matty_f
26-05-2015, 04:55 PM
Being completely honest, I thought that the title would be a three horse race between us, the Yams, and The Rangers. With The Rangers as clear favourites. I thought we'd probably be much of a muchness with the Yams with very little between us.

I didn't expect us to do anything of note in the cups, but was very confident of a top 3 place. Given who we would be potentially up against in the play-offs if we didn't win the league (either The Rangers or the Yams, I knew it would be very tight as to whether or not we went up this season.)

So, I suppose my expectations were met in that we finished in the top 3 slots that I thought we would, though we didn't meet my expectation that we'd challenge for the title. That was disappointing to say the least.

This season, I suppose the expectations are much the same - the league should be easier to get out of this season but we shouldn't be under any illusions that it'll be a given - we're going to have to contend with St Mirren and either Motherwell or The Rangers - all three clubs will be fancying their chances of going up ahead of us.

jingler1954
26-05-2015, 05:40 PM
I cant imagine where we would be today if we hadn't been relegated playing under Butcher so from that point of view we are probably in a far better place go AS finish the job next season GGTTH

jingler1954
26-05-2015, 05:56 PM
I enjoyed this season more than the last 3 or 4. We've been inconsistent at times and lacked strength in depth which was to be expected with the time Stubbs had to build a squad. Think Farid's injury was a major blow.

Allen, Fyvie and McGeough have been great additions, Fontiane a stand out, Cummings was the league's top scorer, Malonga was good until AFCON and Boyle was coming on to a game until he got injured.

Disappointed not to go up, however finishing second and above the Huns was decent.

I think we have the makings of a good team if we can hold on to most of our squad. Would like to see decent cover for Gray and a new left back and more pace in the squad.

We need supporters to buy season tickets to allow us to improve, otherwise our hands may be tied.
agreed if all the supporters that turned up last Saturday came every week we would have more funds to buy quality as AS has managed to do to augment the current squad.

Aldo
26-05-2015, 06:01 PM
I fully expect us to hit the ground running from the off.

Hoping we can bring in some more quality and pace (which is a must) up top and out wide.

No excuses as if we don't go up as Champions IMHO.

The_Horde
26-05-2015, 08:48 PM
You are well named

Thank you Mr cmcd. You have a nice name too.

basehibby
26-05-2015, 10:51 PM
Hopes and expectations!

I obviously HOPED that we'd win the division and go up automatically.

At the beginning of the season though my realistic expectations were that we would finish 3rd with the Huns and Yams ahead of us. I certainly didn't expect the Yams to run away with it in the way they did but could see that they were better prepared than we were at the start and seriously doubted that our board would put enough cash in to catch them or Rangers.

I didn't think that'd matter all that much though as long as we finished the season with a bit of bounce and momentum for the play offs.

So - Stubbs, the team and, to some extent, the board, exceeded my expectations by deservedly overhauling der Hun - so I'd feel a bit harsh labelling the season as a total failure.

It would also be way off the mark to call it a success though - the objective was, one way or another, to get promoted, and we missed out on that despite what most would agree was a valiant effort.

So - how to describe the season? Heroic failure would just about fit the bill. It doesn't feel great but I would like to see the majority of the squad Stubbs has put together still at ER next term to have another go. They deserved the ovation they got at the end on Saturday for what they put in over the season - even if it wasn't quite enough.